Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Lost Past Found ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 9
Lost Past Found
“Phoenix, I think we'd better . . .” Robin began. Phoenix took a deep breath. “I think we'd better let somebody know that you didn't die in that fire.”
Phoenix sighed. “I know, I've thought about doing just that for a long time, but it always comes down to the fact that I didn't really care for most of my relatives.”
“You wouldn't have to stay.” Cyborg reminded her. “If they tried . . . you could let us know, and we'd come help to encourage them let you leave . . . if you know what I mean.”
“Just imagine how happy everyone will be to know that you're alive.” Raven said.
“I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that my coming back would upset some people.” Phoenix groaned. “Hey, and what about the itsy bitsy detail that I STARTED THE FIRE?!” The plasticy couch cover began to melt where Phoenix was seated, causing her to jump up and off the melting material.
“Perhaps some of us should accompany you when you return home. Where is your home?” Starfire asked.
“This is gonna sound dumb, but I don't remember. I don't even remember my real name. I started calling myself `Phoenix' because I came out of the ashes of my old life, and started again. That's kinda dumb . . . isn't it?” Phoenix asked sheepishly.
Beast Boy spoke up. “Actually, that makes more sense than Robin's name . . . he's no bird, same with Raven. I should know.” The green goof pointed at both of the Titans whose names he was questioning.
“I think your name suits you perfectly.” Raven agreed. “If you don't fit the description of your name sake, nobody does.”
“Okay, so my name makes sense, but what am I going to do about my remaining family? They were told I was dead two years ago . . . what'll they do when I suddenly show up out of nowhere?” Phoenix asked, and then answered her own question. “They'll freak out!”
“That . . . or they'll throw a huge party.” Everyone turned, and glared at Beast Boy, who had made the suggestion.
Under the city, Slade was still trying to break out of his old base after Phoenix melted the metal door closed. “That blasted girl, she must be healed by now. I'll have a harder time trying to force her into becoming my apprentice.” In frustration, Slade kicked the door, and it gave way. “Hmm . . . now to start working on my new plan.”
Back in the tower, Phoenix was sifting through old police files in the dusty record room. This is useless, how will I know if I've found something important? “That's it!” Phoenix jumped up, and ran out of the room.
“What's `it'? Did you find something?” Raven asked, having heard Phoenix's shout of triumph.
“I thought of an idea that will help me narrow my search area. When I first came here, to Gothem City, Cyborg found that map of all of the crimes I stopped . . .” Phoenix trailed off.
Raven understood the idea, and completed the thought. “ . . . the dates you appeared might be recorded on that chart. If you could find the oldest date on the map . . . it would probably be close to where you lived before the fire!” Now, both girls were sprinting into the main section of the tower.
Where's Cyborg?” Phoenix asked, out of breath.
“Dude, you aren't supposed to be straining yourself.” Beast Boy pointed out.
WHERE IS CYBORG?? PHOENIX NEEDS TO KNOW!” Raven yelled, nearly going demonic.
“Yo, I'm right behind you two. Wasup?” Cyborg asked.
“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!” Phoenix jumped so high in surprise that she nearly went through the room's ceiling. “Cyborg, can you find that map and list of crimes I stopped?” Raven left, since she was no longer needed.
“Uhhhhhhhh . . . yah, I think so. Why do you need it?” Dude, has Phoenix lost it?
“Could you find it right now?”
Robin walked in, and saw Phoenix harassing Cy. “Phoenix, maybe you should take a couple of deep breaths, and slow down. Cyborg, unless you want to get melted . . . you should find and print off that map.” Phoenix walked over to the couch, and sat down, breathing deeply. “Are you okay?” Robin asked. Phoenix nodded, and Robin sat down next to her. “All right, now what was all of that about?”
Phoenix began to explain her idea, beginning in the records room, and ending where Robin had entered the room. “I guess I was being a jerk. I'm sorry about spazzing on you like that, Cyborg.”
“No sweat. I've got a print out of that chart you wanted.” Cyborg handed over the sheet of paper. It was a picture of the United States, with one dot for each appearance Phoenix had made.
“There, that's what I'm looking for!” Phoenix pointed to a dot in a small cluster labeled July 6, 2002. “That's the oldest date on here, so this little town must have been relatively close to where I lived before . . . the fire. Now I can focus on police files from surrounding towns and cities!”
“Cool, let us know if you find anything important. We'll all be outside training for a while.” Robin called back as he and Cyborg left.
Slade had disguised himself, and was using one of Gothem City Library's computers to find as much information as he could about Phoenix. “I will find her weakness, and when I do . . . the Titans will be a minor foot-note in the city's history. Well, this appears to be a promising tidbit . . .”
Phoenix stared at the computer screen, filing through every record she could find. Grrrrrrrrrr . . . this is still going to take forever. Deciding to try something new, Phoenix opened the search option, and typed in unsolved arson cases. Nothing came up. Multiple unknown fire deaths. One result. Phoenix clicked on the link, and saw a picture of five people. “Oh my gosh . . . that's me.”
There was a caption below the family photo that read: Fairweather family (left to right) Frank, Lisa, Ashley, Mary, Phoebe. That's me . . . I'm the one in the middle . . . Ashley Fairweather . . . I kinda like the name Phoenix better. Phoenix began to read the fire report out loud to herself. “The land was sold, and turned into a prestigious shoe factory. Any animals or equipment were distributed among relatives of the deceased. Oh my gosh . . .” Phoenix began to cry, something she hadn't done for two years . . . all of the pain, loneliness, and guilt she had felt came bursting out in huge sobs as forgotten memories came rushing back.
And she says,
Take me away, then take me farther,
Surround me now and hold, hold, hold me like holy water,
She just needs a little help, to wash away the pain she's felt.
She just wants to feel the healin' hands of someone who understands . . .
Phoenix cried herself to sleep in that chair by the computer, and she was so exhausted that she didn't notice the blanket laid over her, or the sound of the printer printing off the file she had found.