Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Whiteout ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10
Whiteout
When Phoenix woke up the next morning, she felt sore all over. Just turning her head to look around resulted in nearly a dozen satisfying pops. The tower sounded fairly quiet, only a few of the other Titans were probably awake.
As Phoenix reached to push the computer's “on” button, the door whooshed open, and the entire team walked in with big, goofy grins (Raven only had a small smile). “What's going on, am I gonna want to stick around?” Phoenix asked cautiously, getting ready to jump out of her chair and run.
“Nothing much, we just found an interesting fact about you, Ashley, and you don't know what it is!” Beast Boy said in a taunting, sing-song voice.
“First, just keep calling me Phoenix. Second, now I really know that I don't like the sound of this, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should get out of here while I still can.”
“All right, Titans . . . 1, 2, 3!” Robin shouted.
(Okay, think about when Starfire sang before . . . yah, that's what this sounds like.)
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear, Ashley,
Happy birthday to YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!
“That wasn't so bad, right?” Cyborg asked.
Phoenix didn't hear him, she had her fingers stuck in her ears to block out the song. “Heh-heh, please don't do that again . . . really, I mean it.”
“Ha, ha, now to finish the plan, Titans.” Robin said, they all turned to face Phoenix.
“Uh oh . . . hey, don't you guys try something funny, or I'll just use my powers to get the heck out of here. I don't even care if I have to clean BB's room . . . I'm not listening to another song!” Phoenix declared. The other Titans could already tell that Phoenix was beginning to turn into smoke.
“Fine, more cake for me!” Beast Boy laughed.
Phoenix became fully solid. “Did you say cake? What kind?”
“Chocolate ice cream, but since you don't want to stick around . . .” Raven trailed off with a grin.
“Okay, okay . . . I'll stay, but I meant it when I sai-” Phoenix broke off when she was grabbed from the side by Cyborg.
“A'ight y'all . . . birthday spankin's!” Cyborg shouted.
Phoenix held true to her word, smoked out of Cy's hold, and flew back to her room. She shut the door, locked it, and then pushed her bed in front of the door, to help block it (even though the door slides into the wall).
There was a knock on her door, and Starfire called to her. “Friend Phoenix, we were not being serious . . . your iced cream is melting.”
“I'm not hungry . . . you guys can help yourselves.” Phoenix replied, and looked around her room. She hadn't done anything with it yet, so it was still bare and gray. Realizing how tired she was, Phoenix curled herself into a ball under her covers and drifted off to sleep.
(Phoenix's dream starts) There was a boy in front of her, he was dressed in sky blue His hair was white, but there was a metallic blue shine to it. He saw her, and smiled. This boy seemed familiar, a friend, but Phoenix couldn't remember who he was. “Don't you remember me?” Phoenix shook her head in an embarrassed reply. “Try to remember me . . . try to find me . . . try to save me . . .” The boy was being pulled away, and Phoenix could see why . . . Slade was pulling him by his shaggy hair into the trees surrounding them. (Phoenix's dream ends)
NOOOOOOOO!” Phoenix rolled off of her bed, and ran to her window, trying to make the dream's meaning understandable. That boy . . . she knew him, but from where? He was a friend, Phoenix was sure of that much.
In an instant, the forgotten memories of her mystery friend came rushing back. “Whiteout, I've got to find you!” He was the one who helped me after the fire . . . he had ice powers, and we made up that frozen fire technique . . . nobody could stand it. The meaning of her dream hit Phoenix like a ton of bricks. “Oh no, Slade's going after him! I'll need the others to help me . . . there's no way I can take Slade on by my self right now. I may still be weak from my first encounter with Slade, but I'm not going to let Whiteout go!”
BANG, BANG! “Phoenix, we've got a problem . . . and we're going to need your help!” Robin shouted through the birthday girl's door. “It's Slade, he sent a message saying that he's found a new candidate to be his apprentice. We think Slade's going after this guy right now in the state forest.”
A stream of smoke sped out of the crack under Phoenix's door, and raced down the hall. Robin and the others had better not be pulling some stupid trick on me, especially not now. Phoenix, still in smoke form, was outside now. She could see the T-car, and R-cycle rushing to the city's limits. Either they're serious, or it's a really elaborate trick. A blast of light blue shot up into the late afternoon sky, from the dark, pine trees that made up the forest surrounding the city. Hang on, Whiteout . . . I'm coming!
Raven was watching out the T-car's window, and saw a thick cloud of smoke pass them by. “Cyborg, tell Robin that Phoenix just passed us . . . something's got her ticked off.”
Cyborg nodded, and relayed the message to their leader. “Are you sure it's a good idea to let Phoenix come? She's supposed to take it easy for at least two more weeks.”
Robin's reply was sure. “She'll be fine, and we all know that she'd be a miserable mess if we left her behind. Besides, I'm pretty sure that she's got a personal claim in this battle.”
The other Titans were puzzled by Robin's last comment, but didn't ask what he meant. It was Robin who had seen and heard the message from Slade, so they figured he must know what he's talking about.
Ahead of the Titans was a clearing. They could see Slade, Phoenix, and a boy with hair so blonde . . . it was white, but with a light blue tint. “Phoenix . . . is it really you? I haven't seen you for forever!” The boy exclaimed, hugging the girl tightly.
“Yah, it's me.” Phoenix assured the slightly battered boy she knew as Whiteout. Slade took a step forwards. “Back off, Slade. I'm not going to let you take my friend.” Phoenix growled in a low voice.
“Well, then I suppose I'll have to settle for you in his place.” Slade said in an equally menacing voice, pulling out his metal bo-staff.
Raven, Starfire, Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy were ready to defend the pair, but the two didn't need any assistance. Phoenix and Whiteout let loose a blast of their element, and the two streams twisted and spun together, knocking Slade into the closest tree, and freezing him there. This was the frozen fire technique the two had created.
“Whoa nice job, dudes!” Cyborg shouted as he and the rest of the team ran to congratulate their team mates.
“There'll be time to celebrate later, but for now . . . we'd better bring Slade into jail. Raven, if you could do the honors?” Robin asked. With a nod, raven transported the Titans, Whiteout, and Slade to the city police station.
When the whacko was taken care of, it was dark and drizzling, but none of the teens cared . . . they'd just locked up the most notorious criminal in the city.
Whiteout and Phoenix hung back from the group, while catching up on what had happed since they had went separate ways. “It's your birthday today, right?” Whiteout asked with a grin.
“Yes. How did you remember? We only hung out for a month.” Phoenix asked.
“Easy, you're a week older than me. I got this for you a while ago, hoping I'd run into you again. How ironic is it that I'd meet up with you again on your birthday, right?”
Whiteout handed Phoenix a small box. “What is it?” She asked, and shook the package.
“Open it and find out.” Whiteout smiled.
There was no need to farther encourage her to open the box. Phoenix ripped off the paper, incinerated it, and opened the cardboard box. Inside was a cloudy, orange crystal in the shape of a bird. The bird was spreading its wings in a graceful arc, neck and head stretched out in a proud call of glory, and with long tail feathers . . . it was a phoenix.
“Oh, it's awesome! Where did you get it?” Lifting the stone from the box, Phoenix noticed the dangling chain that traveled through the charm's wings.
Whiteout plucked the rock from the girl's hands, and fastened it around her neck. “I got it from an old, Indian farmer in Arizona after I helped save his farm from a wild fire. He made jewelry to help make ends meet, and told me to pick a piece out as a token of his thanks. When I saw that necklace, I knew it was perfect for you.”
Phoenix stared at him with a small grin. “You want something . . . you only start talking like that when you want something.”
“Guilty as charged.”
“What do you want, mister?”
“Nothing much . . . just this.” Whiteout kissed Phoenix on the cheek. “Okay, that's it.”
“I'm guessing you still like me.”
“Was that Slade guy creepy?”
“Yes.” Phoenix answered with an unbelieving tone. He couldn't tell that Slade was a bit off his rocker?
“There, you answered your own question!”
Phoenix laughed. “You're the same goof I remember . . . only a little taller and shaggier.”
“Hey, no dissing on da hair! It took me fifteen months to grow it out like Keith Urban's.”
“Hmmmmm . . . yah, I guess you've got the hair, but have you learned to sing or play guitar? Last I knew, the only instrument you could play was the air guitar.”
“Ha, ha . . . you know I can sing . . . not as good as you, but I can still sing. Do you still have your guitar?” Whiteout asked, knowing Phoenix's love for the only piece of her past she carried with her, an orange and white, electric guitar.
“Oh man, I forgot to go get it! When I first came here to Gothem, I hid it in a church's bell tower . . . I'm gonna go get it. Could you tell the others for me? I'll see you back at the tower!” Phoenix waved, and flew away.
Whiteout ran to catch up with the other Titans, uncertain how to phrase his message. “Umm . . . Robin? Phoenix just left, she said she was going to get something and meet us all back at the tower . . . she wanted me to tell you guys.”
“Phew . . . okay, since you know her best, we need your help with something.” The titans formed a huddle.
“What's going on? Phoenix told me that she was going to go get her guitar, even though she's supposed to be taking it easy.” Whiteout backed away.
“You know it's her birthday right? Well, we don't have a clue about what to get her!” Beast Boy moaned.
“Oh, I get it . . . well, she doesn't have any new sheet music, and I doubt that her guitar strings are in the best shape . . .” Whiteout racked his brain for more ideas.
“Let's hurry to the music shop . . . they should have most of the things you mentioned.” Raven suggested, pointing across the street.
“Okay, let's go . . . try to find something in ten minutes, all right? Titans . . . shop!” Robin shouted and ran across the tarmac with the other Titans following close behind him.
The Titans hurried through the store, trying to find a gift for their friend. Whiteout was getting tired of constantly being asked if a gift was appropriate, so when Robin approached him . . . saying he spazzed would be lightly stating the facts.
“Look, since you've only known Phoenix for about a month and a half, I don't think she'll mind if you don't get her the perfect gift!” Whiteout prided himself by keeping his powers under control, but everyone noticed a sudden icy chill in the air.
Robin blinked. “I already got her present. I was going to ask you if you plan on sticking around. We'd really like to have you stay . . . I think Phoenix would be especially happy if you joined the team.”
The building returned to it's normal temperature as Whiteout calmed down. “You want me to join the Titans?”
“Yah, the more the merrier for us . . . though the villains might not be as excited as us.” Cyborg said, taking his gift bag from the sales clerk.
“Having so many people on the team may make all of the crooks think twice before breaking the law . . . especially after word gets out about that little trick you and Phoenix made up.” Raven said pointedly.
“Speaking of friend Phoenix, should we not hurry back home?” Starfire asked.
“You guys go. I've got to go pick up that other present.” Robin said, running out the door.
“What other present? I thought you guys didn't have anything to give her.” Whiteout said with a huff.
“We were going to give it to her anyways . . . it was just a coincidence that it got finished the night before her birthday.” Raven explained, and then teleported the Titans still in the store back to the tower.
Phoenix was in her room, trying to tune her guitar . . . but the strings were so stretched and worn that they'd snap if she tried. I guess I'll need to wait before I show the others my other little skill, and I can't teach Whiteout how to play yet either . . . oh well, at least I have this part of my past back. Phoenix gently laid the instrument in its case, and slid the case gently under her bed.
Robin walked into the main living area of the tower. “Does everyone have their presents wrapped?” Nods all around. The boy wonder looked at the clock on the wall. “Geeze . . . 9:30 . . . well I guess a late party is better than never, right? We just have to hope that Phoenix isn't asleep yet . . . somebody should got call her down qui-”
YO PHOENIX . . . C'MON DOWN HERE!” Cyborg yelled.
“-etly.” Robin finished with a slight scowl.
“Oops, sorry man . . . my bad.”