Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Legend of the Phoenix ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

a/n: I'm going to dedicate this chapter to Lunar-Ninja, Raven's Wolf, and Phoenix's Soul . . . that's all. Oh, and RW . . . I still need Whiteout for a few more chapters.
Chapter 14
Legend of the Phoenix
"Did you say who I think you said? Oh man . . . he's gonna wish he was never born!” Phoenix snarled. The girl was so mad, that her black hair ignited . . . the best clue in the world to signal that someone was very mad.
“Relax, we're all mad at him. We figured it all out when he left the Tower the other night. Right after he left, Slade showed up in the park again, that's when Whiteout showed up and let us have it.” Robin explained.
“So Whiteout was playing a game this whole time?” Phoenix asked, and Robin nodded, triggering a string of words that shouldn't be recorded.
Phoenix and Robin arrived at the tower around 7:00 pm. The other Titans welcomed her back with open arms, but Phoenix held back. Even though they knew she was innocent now, they had still doubted her before.
They were about to dig into a pizza, when Whiteout's smirking face appeared on the big TV screen. “Well hello, Phoenix . . . out of the slammer I see. I hope you aren't too made at me, but someone needed to take the heat for me . . . or else I would've melted. Get it?” He gave a taunting chuckle.
“Cut the crap you over-grown sno-cone . . . you're gonna wish you hadn't framed me.” Phoenix snapped back.
“Oh, I forgot that you tend to get cranky when people betray you . . . good thing you can control those powers of yours, right?” Whiteout jabbed. Everyone could see and feel waves of heat radiating from Phoenix's angry body. “Well, I just wanted to say hi, but since I'm picking up this negative vibe . . . I'll leave you all to your pizza.” That was all . . . the screen went blank.
“Arrogant jerk . . . he just wanted to get you mad, just forget about him.” Raven suggested to Phoenix.
“No, it was a challenge, and a clue to where he is.” Phoenix said, starring out the window.
“What? How did you get that idea? He didn't say anything about where he is, Phoenix. I think you're letting your emotions get the best of you.” Robin said slowly.
“No . . . the cave he was in . . . in the background, there was a statue of a girl . . . it's the same cave Slade took me to after he set off the bomb here.” Phoenix explained.
“That wasn't really a statue, that's Terra . . . she was Slade's second apprentice. She sacrificed herself to stop a volcano under the city from erupting and ultimately destroying the city. We've been trying to find a way to free her, but all of the ideas we've had didn't work out.” Beast Boy explained.
“Well, I don't care what you guys are going to do, but I'm going down there tomorrow. That's when my powers will be strongest, and Whiteout's will be the weakest.” Phoenix said in a small, but determined voice.
“Why tomorrow? What's so special about tomorrow? It isn't anybody's birthday, is it?” Cyborg asked.
“No, tomorrow is the day the sun will be closest to the earth. My powers are connected to how close the sun is, and Whiteout's are connected to how far away the sun is.” Phoenix got up to leave; if she was going to take Slade and Whiteout down . . . she'd need a lot of rest.
“If you're positive that you know what you're talking about . . . and you're serious about settling your number with Whiteout . . . the rest of us are behind you 100.” Robin declared.
“Yes, on my planet . . . such an act has committed would be punished most severely.” Starfire added.
“This might not be Tamaran, but we're all gonna make Whiteout sorry that he double-crossed us.” Cyborg finished.
Phoenix smiled, she was happy that the other Titans' trust was returning . . . but she was still mad at them deep down in her heart. “How about we all go out and train?”
“That's a good idea, even if it is getting late. Since there's an even number of us, we could do some one-on-one sparring.” Raven agreed.
“Alright, but nobody go all-out . . . we're going to need to save our strength if we'll be fighting Slade and Whiteout tomorrow.” Robin nodded, and then turned to Phoenix. “Any other things Whiteout can do that we don't know about? Obviously he can turn into water vapor . . . from when he . . . y'know.”
 
“Yah, I know . . . when he framed me. He's able to freeze stuff, control ice, and when he's mad . . . he can create really bad blizzards. Luckily, the biggest weakness he has is me . . . or should I say my powers? Unless I have enough control to keep my flames from melting his ice, or if I want to not melt his ice . . . he's screwed when he's fighting me.” Phoenix explained. “Tomorrow will be our best chance to beat him because the sun is so close.”
 
“Yo, I still don't get how your powers have to do with the sun!” Cyborg complained, scratching his head.
 
“Oh . . . there's another reason why I call myself Phoenix. You see, according to legend . . . phoenixes were created by the Sun. Every 500 years, a phoenix goes back to the valley where it was created, and is reborn. I saw one when it returned to its valley, and it decided to give its spirit to me. That whole thing happened about a week before I came here.” Phoenix shrugged, showing the experience had lost its awe some time ago.
 
“So you actually have the spirit of a phoenix along with your human spirit? I've heard of dragons choosing spirit-carriers, but I had no idea that phoenixes still existed on earth!” Raven gasped in disbelief. “It's amazing that one would do that! Shouldn't the phoenix be able to gain a material form?”
 
“Duuuuuuuuuude! All of this voodoo stuff is hurting my brain!” Beast Boy groaned. “I don't even know what any of this stuff is!”
 
Starfire was even more confused. “Friend Phoenix, I do not see how a bird can be living inside of your body. Please explain.”
 
“I'm not really sure myself, but I'm sure that if you ask Sorora, she'd be more than happy to explain the best she can.”
 
“Sorora? Who's that?” Robin asked.
 
“Yah . . . it's a cool name. Like Robin said, who is she?” Cyborg asked.
 
“She's the phoenix who gave me her spirit. She won't be able to explain until tomorrow . . . she'll wake up then. She needs the sun's energy to replenish the power she used to transfer to my mind.” Phoenix said, trying to explain what little she knew about the whole thing.
 
“Ummmm . . . if we were going to go out and train, we'd better do it soon, or else just stay inside.” Raven spoke up, waving her hand at the dark windows.
 
“Wha? It's 10 o'clock?” Beast Boy turned away from the clock.
 
“Time has passed quickly, yes?” Starfire asked.
 
“I'll say! I didn't know I could keep talking for so long! I guess this explains why I'm so tired.” Phoenix yawned.
 
“Okay, Titans . . . everyone get to sleep. We can do some training right after breakfast tomorrow, and then take a quick break before we go down to the cave.” Robin commanded.
 
“Tower's locked town . . . everything's good to go.” Cyborg pulled his hand away from the security keypad. “G'night y'all.”
 
“Pleasant dreams my friends! May you wake happy, and full of new life!” Starfire called back as she floated off to her room.
 
Raven left next, and then Beast Boy . . . leaving Robin and Phoenix. “Are you going to be okay? A lot of stressful things have been happening to you lately.” Robin watched as Phoenix put the pizza (which they hadn't eaten) in the `fridge.
 
“I'll be fine.” Phoenix replied, shutting the door harder than she meant to, showing how much anger she had pent up. “I know that tomorrow, I'm going to need to fight a guy who helped me deal with what I did, who helped me learn to control my powers, who actually listened to me . . .and who sent me to prison. I'll bet anything that he's the one who wrote that story in the paper, to get everyone to doubt me.”
 
“Not everybody . . . we didn't doubt you.” Robin bristled against the thought that he or any of the other Titans had betrayed her.
 
“Yes you did . . . you all did, and you know it! I'm just hoping that I can get that out of my mind long enough to trust you guys to watch my back tomorrow.” Phoenix stormed out of the room, leaving Robin to remember what he'd said and done.
 
“You have to admit that this looks really bad for you, Phoenix.” “Great, just great . . . this is just like it was before Terra ran away.” Robin groaned to himself.