Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Whodunit? ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13
 
Whodunit?
 
Phoenix's party went on untill midnight, that was when she fell asleep while the team was watching “Remember the Titans”. After some debate, Phoenix was woken up so she could walk to her room.
 
“Everyone should get to sleep, actually. We'll be training in the morning . . . all of us.” Robin added, earning a big smile of gratituded from Phoenix. “Whiteout, we don't have a room ready right now . . .”
 
“It's all right, man . . . the couch is fine as far as I'm concerned.” Whiteout yawned, and the entire tower soon became quiet with sleep.
 
The next morning, Phoenix woke up to pure silence. She got dressed in her new uniform, and went up to the main tower area. Since it was all ready noon, Phoenix expected most of the Titans to be present, but the room was abandoned.
 
There was a note taped to the refridgerator door from Robin, it asked Phoenix to stay in the tower untill they (the other Titans) got back from their erand.
 
Dissmising the note, Phoenix found a left-over piece of cake in the freezer, and started to eat it. The newspaper on the counter caught her eye, and she began to casually read the headlines: SCHOOL FUND RAISER SURPASSES GOALS, TRIPLETS BORN TO FAMILY OF FOUR, SLADE ESCAPED FROM PRISION; ACCOMPLICE SUSPECTED.
 
The last article grabbed Phoenix's attention, especially since she saw her name mentioned several times in the text. One paragraph focused on her in particular.
 
One of the new Titans, who goes by the name of Phoenix, is a top suspect in the jail-break according to Gothem City police sources. Information of why Phoenix is a suspect has not been fully released, but several rumors have named her Slade's most recent apprentice. Other rumors mention her ability to become a cloud of smoke, other fire related powers, and her questionable history . . .”
 
With an enraged growl, Phoenix flung the paper into the garbage . . . not even bothering to read the remainder of the story. “How could anyone believe that I'd help that creep get out of jail?! I almost died because of him! I wonder just how much research that reporter did before he wrote that! I can't believe they'd base the whole thing on my `questionable past'! Maybe they don't remember that I've spent the last two years of my life stopping guys like Slade!”
 
Beep, beep. “Phoenix, are you there?” The computer screen lit up, and Robin's face appeared.
 
“Yah, I'm here. What's going on?” Phoenix asked, hoping that she'd receive some answers.
 
“Phoenix, we need you to come down to the news paper office (sorry, but I don't know the right word). You've heard about Slade, right?” Robin's voice was a mix of mad, sad, and tired.
 
“You mean how he escaped, and just about everyone thinks I did it?” Phoenix responded tartly.
 
“We're on your side, Phoenix. We all saw that article . . . we're trying to find out who wrote that load of lies, and why he or she did it.” Raven said, joining Robin on the sreen.
 
In the background Cyborg, Beast Boy, Starfire, and Whiteout could be seen and heard questioning reporters, interns, and mechanics. Each one appeared to be getting more and more frusterated as they were denied the information they wanted.
 
“Okay, I'm coming.” Phoenix sighed, and left for the down town office.
 
“Robin, do you think we should go talk to the police and see what they say? If the reporter knows about Phoenix being suspected . . . wouldn't he have needed to contact them?” Whiteout asked. They had questioned every employee at the paper office, and all they had leared was that the reporter was a freelancer . . . and had sent his story in by e-mail early that morning.
 
Phoenix sat limply in a chair, listening to the others speaking. The fact that somebody would think so lowly of her . . . the thought devistated her, and it was worse because it was actually true. Nothing the other Titans said could cheer her up, not even the thought of pulverising the reporter. Compaired to Phoenix, Raven was as happy as a Teletubbie.
 
“Yah, let's go.” Robin agreed, there was no feeling in these words, none of them had ever been victim to such a vicious story . . . and they were all in a state of shock.
 
All seven Titans were sitting in the police chief's office, listening to the old, fat man speak. “This information wasn't to be released . . . I don't know how that journalist got his hands on it, but you're all members of the city's law enforcement squad . . . so I can make an exception. This is the security camera footage of Slade's escape. That door right there is the entrence to his cell.” The chief pointed to a solid, steel door that was blocked by two sleeping officers. “Don't worry, those two have been punished.”
 
As the Titans watched, a light cloud moved down the hall, and entered the cell door's key-hole, and the door swung open. Next Slade came running out, and punched the camera . . . leaving the rest of the tape full of static.
 
The room was silent. They had all seen the cloud, and they all knew who could turn into a similar cloud. “Phoenix . . . did you?” Starfire asked quietly.
 
“No, I didn't! Star, you know what happened to me the last time I met up with Slade!” Phoenix responed, trying to keep her tears back. How could she honestly think for a second that I would do something like this?
 
“Phoenix, you do have to admit that this looks really bad for you.” Robin commented.
 
“Robin, dude . . . I can't believe that you're saying what you're saying! Phoenix wouldn't ever do anything like this . . . right?” Beast Boy asked, doubt beginning to creep into his mind as well.
 
“I told you guys . . . I would never do anything like this. If you don't believe me . . . that's your choice.” Phoenix said so quietly, it was just above a whisper.
 
“Young lady, I'm sorry . . . but you need to come with me.” The officer said, opening the door. Nobody noticed Whiteout smile as Phoenix was escourted down the hall.
 
Phoenix laid on the cot in her cell. She'd been imprisoned under the charge of aiding the escape of a criminal. She had changed into an orange jumpsuit, just like all of the other prisoners. She also put her comunicator and necklace with her uniform, in a locker, to be kept safe.
 
As if trying to punish her more, Phoenix was put across from Mumbo and Controll Freak. The entire hallway reaked, because Plasmus was also being kept on that level.
 
A week passed, and Phoenix's name had yet to be cleared. She wasn't going to be given a trial any time soon, because the city couldn't prove that she was the one who had actually freed Slade.
 
On the ninth day, Robin came in to talk to Phoenix . . . his face was red with anger. “Phoenix, we found out who freed Slade, and he's actually been working with Slade this whole time . . . you're getting out of here.” The officer who had acompanied Robin unlocked the door, and handed Phoenix her things.
 
“Who did it?” Phoenix growled, ready to rip the true criminal into charred, bloody shreds.
 
Robin took a deep breath to steady himself. “It was Whiteout . . . he's the one who did all of it.”