Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Boyfriends and Girlfriends Part 2 ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 19

Boyfriends and Girlfriends Part 2
Robin glanced at the receiver in his hand. If Phoenix still had the tracking device in her bag, and if her bag was still with her, then she hadn’t moved in the last hour and a half. Great, she’s probably hurt or something. I should be asleep right now, but noooooo . . . I’ve got to track down Phoenix! Why didn’t Sorora stop her?
The Boy Wonder had brought the R-Cycle so he could bring Phoenix back quickly, but he hadn’t counted on the sandstorm. His bike couldn’t withstand the blowing sediment, so he’d ditched it. Robin had kept his helmet on, even though he wasn’t riding his bike, it helped keep sand out of his eyes.
“Phoenix! Where are you? Can you hear me?” Robin shouted into the wind. No answer. He looked around, and noticed a small cave. I should take a quick break and get my bearings.
He made it to the cave, and after a quick look around . . . he blew up with rage. There on the floor, was Phoenix, sound asleep. “Phoenix, what did you think you were doing?! I’ve been looking for you for the last three hours!”
Phoenix opened her eyes with a snap, jumped up, and drew her sword in one rapid, reflex action. When she saw Robin, she groaned, and slid the Element Sword back into its sheath. “What are you doing here? I left a note telling you guys that I’d be back in the morning.”
“What am I doing?! You’re the one who left in the middle of the night! Sorora, why didn’t you stop her? Sorora?” Robin became confused when she didn’t reply.
“Sorora went to sleep for another year. She didn’t absorb enough energy, so she’ll wake up during the summer solstice next year. And for your information, she’s the one who told me to come out here.” Phoenix snapped back, not wilting under Robin’s. “Y’know . . . I’m sick of you treating me like a baby. I can defend myself, I can make my own decisions, and I know enough to see that you’re ragging on me like this because you’re upset that Starfire didn’t tell you that she had a boyfriend. Well, chew on this . . . my boyfriend was actually an evil dragon in disguise that tried to kill me, and got me put in prison! You’ve got it pretty good right now.”
Robin’s face softened. “You’re right, and I’m sorry. I have been treating you unfairly, and I know that you are capable of taking care of yourself. I just don’t want you to get hurt . . . I like you too much.”
“What did you say?” Phoenix backed up until she felt the cool rock of the cave on her back. Oh no . . . he can’t like me! This can’t be happening!
“You know what I said. I’ve liked you ever since you joined the team, but I didn’t do or say anything since I thought Starfire liked me. Phoenix, I think you knew that I felt this way about you before you admitted to yourself that you felt the same way about me.” Robin took a step closer to Phoenix.
“What are you talking about? I don’t like you.” Phoenix snarled. She was beginning to feel trapped . . . she hated being trapped.
Robin moved closer, until he was only a step away from Phoenix. “If you hate me so much, then why do you seem so scared right now?”
“Because there’s a giant scorpion behind you . . . that’s why.” Phoenix whispered her reply.
Robin whirled around, and Phoenix used the opportunity to grab her things, and run to the door, but Robin caught her arm. “Nice try . . . this is what I’m talking about, you want to get away from me . . . and I’m smart enough to figure out why.”
“Yah, I hate being accused of things that I know aren’t true.” Phoenix replied, and let her arm turn into smoke so that she could escape Robin’s grip. With a sarcastic wave, Phoenix shot up and above the storm, and started back to the Tower.
Robin got back to the Tower an hour later. Nobody was up, so he threw away the two notes, and went down to Phoenix’s room . . . she wasn’t there. Next he went to the gym, she wasn’t there either. “Where is she?” Robin snarled to himself. Why was I so mean to her? Why did I get so mad? Why did I get so rude when I knew that she was getting scared of the way that I was acting? He shook his head. “Phoenix had every right to be scared and mad at me, I was a jerk.”
Phoenix had been in the air-duct system, following Robin in smoke form ever since he’d returned. Satisfied by his self-reflection, Phoenix went to her room, grabbed her guitar, and made her way to the roof of the Tower. When she got there, Phoenix settled down next to an air-conditioning unit and began to play one of her favorite songs.
You’re the kinda guy,
Whose hands and mind,
Send shivers up and down my spine,
I wanna do to you,
What you do to me,
You’re the kinda guy who blows my mind,
And now it’s my turn,
You’ve been right in front of me,
Everything I need,
Why didn’t I see?
Robin had heard Phoenix going up the stairs to the roof, and decided to find out what she was doing. As the last notes of the song faded away, Robin realized how Phoenix felt about him. Uncertainly, he walked out into the open. “That was a great song, I didn’t know you could play so well. Where’s it from?” The Boy Wonder tried to start a conversation.
“The newer Freaky Friday movie, the Lindsay Lohan.” Phoenix replied. He heard that? Well, that’s just b-e-a-utiful. Please go away.
Instead of leaving, Robin walked over to Phoenix’s side, and sat down next to her. “Look, Phoenix, I’m really sorry for the way I acted before . . . I don’t know what came over me. I know this is pathetic, but I hope you’ll forgive me.” Please, Phoenix . . . I can’t stand how I acted earlier . . . but if you forgive me, I might be able to forgive myself.
Phoenix strummed softly on her guitar, a nervous habit of hers. “I forgive you, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll go out with you.”
Robin nodded. “I didn’t expect you to. So, what’s the deal the sword?”
Phoenix placed her guitar in front of herself, and drew the glittering weapon. “It’s called the Element Sword. It has the ability to combine the elements into a more powerful and concentrated form . . . I think.”
Robin chuckled. “I’m glad that you aren’t about to stab me this time. It scared me to be the one on the pointed end.”
Phoenix laughed. “You shouldn’t have come in and started yelling at me. Anyway, I was bluffing. I don’t have a clue about how to use a sword.”
Robin stared at Phoenix. “Are you kidding?” Phoenix shook her head. “I could teach you . . . if you want.”
Phoenix tensed. “As long as it isn’t a date.”
Robin nodded. “No date. If you’ve got a weapon, you should know how to use it, or else you could hurt someone when you don’t mean to.”
Phoenix slid Element Sword back in its scabbard. “You just passed my test. I’ll go out with you some time.”
“Are you serious? I mean, you don’t have to, but if you want to . . .” Robin stuttered.
“Good night, and don’t hurt yourself tripping over your tongue.” Phoenix whispered with a smile, picked up her guitar, and left.

A/n: the lyrics I used were from “Ultimate” by Lindsay Lohan, which was on “Freaky Friday”, and I don’t own any of it at all, my sister has the DVD, not me.