Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Boyfriends and Girlfriends Part 1 ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 18
 
Boyfriends and Girlfriends Part I
 
“Dude, when's Raven gonna get here?” Beast Boy groaned. It was extremely boring since the Titans East had left to return to Steel City.
 
“I found a visitor, and he insists on seeing Star. It took me forever to convince him that she was here.” Raven said, flying in with a white haired teen.
 
<Oh, and doesn't this bring back pleasant memories.>
 
Sorora, be quiet! He's Tameranian . . . not even Whiteout could pretend to be one of them. Phoenix glanced over at Starfire and the new boy, who were speaking in rapid Tameranian.
 
“Friends, this is Lightfire. He has come here to join us.” Starfire explained, and Lightfire nodded. “He does not understand much of our language yet, but he wishes to learn.”
 
“You're sure we can trust him, right?” Cyborg asked.
 
Starfire's eyes began to shine a dangerous green. “Lightfire is one of the most trustworthy people I have ever known! He would never attempt to deceive anyone in order to gain something for himself!”
 
“Relax, Star. We're just trying to make sure that we don't have another situation like the one we just finished with . . . that's all.” Robin put his hand comfortingly on Starfire's shoulder to calm her down.
 
Lightfire saw this, and sent several white starbolts at the Boy Wonder. With a growl, Phoenix deflected the bolts with a firewall.
 
“What was that all about?!” Cyborg roared.
 
“I'm guessing that he still believes that nobody is allowed to touch you, right?” Raven asked.
 
Lightfire cleared his throat. “Princess my girlfriend.”
 
“Did he just say what I think he said?” Beast Boy asked.
 
Lightfire repeated himself. “Princess my girlfriend.”
 
Starfire gave a nervous giggle. “We were doing the `going out' when I left Tamaran. We never truly did the `breaking up.'” She ran over to Lightfire, spoke a few quiet words, and then the two flew off in the direction of the tower.
 
“I'll get rid of Malchior. You guys can go . . . I'll catch up later.” Raven floated off to get nearer to the dragon.
 
“Well, everyone ready?” Robin asked, sadness seeping into his voice. Star has a boyfriend?
 
“Yah, let's go. I'm guessing my room is going to need some cleaning.” Terra nodded.
 
The rest of the day passed quickly, and uneventfully. Lightfire insisted on having the room across from Starfire's. Phoenix helped Terra clean up her room, and wash her uniforms that had collected dust ever since she had left. The rest of the Titans pretty much vegged out.
 
Robin spent most of this time in the gym, pounding away at the punching bag, trying to get rid of the jealousy in his system. What are you so upset about? She wasn't going out with you! Maybe you're only mad because now you don't have any more reasons to hide your feelings for . . . no, that can't be it.
 
At about 11:00 that night, Sorora told Phoenix some important news. <Kiddo, I didn't get enough power today, and I used up a lot of what I did manage to collect on that jerk, Whiteout. I'll be back next year, remember that, okay?>
 
What are you talking about?
 
<I'm going to take another year-long nap, but I need to tell you some important stuff. You're powers aren't limitless . . . they can burn out if you use them constantly for a long amount of time. If they do burn out, you need to recharge using sunlight, or a fire . . . they'll also reboot on their own . . . but it will take longer.>
 
Okay, no big deal.
 
<There's more. That necklace you have can be charged with your fire, and then be used to track down people or objects. Which brings me to the last thing, you need to find the Element Sword. It will be the only thing you can use to combine all of your powers when you and all of the other Element Holders are united.>
 
Wait, how do I find the sword? How do I track things with my necklace?
 
<Think of the name. If you keep the name in your mind, it will show you the way.>
 
Thanks, Sorora . . . I've got one more question. Do you dream?
 
<No, it's just a deep sleep for me . . . good night.>
 
“Well, now what do I do? Hmmm . . . time to go get a sword.” Phoenix picked up her bag, filled a water bottle, picked up her necklace, and after a second thought . . . left a note on the TV remote telling where she was going. There's no way they'll miss it there.
 
Robin was getting ready to go to sleep. He'd finally managed to calm himself down enough so he wouldn't beat the crap out of somebody. That was when he noticed that the tracking device, that he'd put in Phoenix's bag earlier, was moving away from the city and into the desert. He picked up the signal receiver, hurried to the living room, and found Phoenix's note.
 
I'd better go after her. I don't think she knows about the giant scorpions and the other dangerous animals in that desert. He filled up his own bag with weapons and supplies, and added his own note next to Phoenix's.
 
Phoenix turned around, trying to fine which way to go next. She was on a high sand dune, and it seemed like the wind was trying to blow sand into her face. The necklace in her hand pulled her along slowly, guiding her through the storm to a small cave.
 
Inside was a stone pedestal, and on top of that was a beautiful ninja-style sword. The metal blade seemed to dance with color as the faint moonlight shined in. Next to the sword was a scabbard made from hardened, black leather with a matching belt wrapped around it.
 
“Wow, this is beautiful . . . too bad I hardly have a clue about how to use a sword.” Phoenix grinned as she lifted the sword from its resting place and slid it inside the sheath to keep from getting hurt. She briefly noticed what seemed to be a surge of power go through her . . . just like when she and Sorora became bonded. “I'm so tired . . . there's no way I could make it back to the Tower tonight. I'll just take a nap, and hope that the wind settles down by the time I wake up.”
 
Phoenix yawned, and lay down on the sandy ground. Her bag was being employed as a pillow, and the Element Sword was next to her right hand, just incase she might need it.