Fan Fiction ❯ Pure Essence ❯ Day Two, Part 1: Excelled Studies ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


~Pure Essence~

Nancy shifted uneasily in her seat, feeling the curious eyes of her fellow classmates boring into her as she tried to eat her meal. That morning she had woken early, and upon doing so remembered that she had school that day. This being her final year at the academy she didn’t want to miss any classes, and so she woke Fluffy to ask her to let Zhou know where she had gone while she and Hayao left for her early morning classes. Instead, Fluffy had instantly gone to fetch Zhou, who was already awake, and Zhou had escorted her to school himself.

Nancy’s eyes quickly rose from her plate to glance at the students sitting a table away from her and watched as their heads snapped back around and they all began chattering about something in hushed voices. She sighed and laid her fork down, resigning herself to the fact that she would not be able to eat while everyone was staring at her. She glanced over to Hayao and frowned as he ignored the students and ate his meal.

“How can you not be bothered by them?” she asked.

“I’ve gotten used to the gossip over the years.” Hayao laid down his fork and picked up his glass. Nancy blinked, either she was imagining things or his voice was quieter than normal. She felt her chest squeeze tightly as she realized that he wasn’t talking about the gossip that went on during school.

Fluffy told had told her that only the higher ranking angels that needed to know about Hayao’s heritage did, but surely he had grown up with those few people looking down on him. She looked back to her meal and pushed her plate away. The very smell of the food repulsed her almost as much as the idea of someone being cruel to him.

“I expect your fan club to come attack you any minute now. The president should have gotten out of her class a few minutes ago and her underlings have been eyeing you like vultures,” Hayao said, gathering their plates now that he was finished eating.

“What are you doing?” Nancy asked, frightened to be alone now that she thought about the students who would likely corner her without Hayao there.

“I’m just throwing this garbage out. I’ll be back in a second,” he laughed. Nancy stared at his back, trying not to panic as she searched her mind for a way to escape.

“Nancy!” A loud, female voice called. Nancy froze, wishing that she could disappear. She turned and found a tall, slender, lavender haired girl coming towards her. She was known as President although she wasn’t president of anything really. Behind her was a girl holding a notepad and pencil to take down quotations that Nancy was sure she would see later on in the Academy’s newsletter. Nancy had started calling her Fix because the girl was always getting her into one. She just barely caught sight of the final member of the fan club before the girl disappeared again. That one Nancy called Click, because the girl was never without her camera, and she always managed to get the best shot to make her look horrible.

President smiled so nicely that Nancy had to fight the urge not to gag. The girl was out to ruin her from the very first day of school when she had pretended to befriend her and then reported to the editor of the newsletter that Hayao was not only a bodyguard but also her secret lover. That was how the girl had landed a position as a reporter on the newsletter. But because all of her stories were ultimately false she never made it to a decent level in the newsletter. Though, President did seem to prefer destroying Nancy’s reputation and that was how she and her friends had ultimately been nicknamed her “fan club”.

“Good afternoon,” Nancy said brightly, returning President’s smile with her own. She caught sight of Fix already scribbling something down and fought the urge to shove the pencil right through one of her beady little eyes.

“I heard that you were escorted to school by the Seraphim today. Would you mind telling us the details, for the newsletter. It’s a big story you know, the Seraphim doesn’t come here until the end of the semester for the graduation ceremonies. Is something big going to happen? Are the ceremonies being rescheduled?” President asked. Fix was hurriedly writing down everything that was said, careful not to miss a word.

Nancy stared at her for a moment, she hadn’t heard anyone refer to Zhou as Seraphim yet. Though it was his proper title Nancy doubted she would ever call him by it.

“Zhou escorting me to school has nothing to do with-” Nancy saw Click snapping her picture from one side and then heard President gasp in surprise.

“Why Nancy! You say his name so casually!” President seemed to be getting excited and Fix was jotting down notes so quickly that Nancy thought the girl’s notepad might ignite. “Could it be that the two of you are romantically entangled?”

“We aren’t romantically entangled at all! I’m was simply staying with him and-”

“You mean to say that you spend the night at his home on the fifth plane? Do you stay there often? Do you know many of the soldiers who live there?” President’s voice was getting louder. Nancy felt her face turning bright red as the other students quieted their conversations to hear what was going on.

“I...” Anything she said would be turned around and she’d be portrayed as some harlot in front of the entire school. Nancy gulped, she had been backed into a corner she whished with all her being she could have avoided.

“I’m sorry that took so long,” Hayao said, interrupting the conversation. President’s eye’s widened and her mouth dropped slightly so it hung open. Fix’s pencil stopped moving and Nancy saw Click start snapping photo’s like there would be no tomorrow.

“These must be friends of yours,” a voice very similar to Zhou’s said from behind her. Nancy looked over her shoulder and winced. It was Zhou, standing next to Hayao and smiling politely at President and Fix.

“Seraphim! It is a great honor to meet you in person!” President squealed and bowed deeply, Fix doing the same. “We were just asking Nancy the nature of your relationship, it’s not often that a student of the academy meets with one such as yourself.” President looked almost too hopeful when she raised her head.

“Naturally I can understand your curiosity. I am of course close friends with the King after all, and it was arranged that she would tour the fifth plane in order to complete an excelled studies course under my supervision. I hope that puts all of your questions to rest,” Zhou said. Nancy blinked, shocked that Zhou had just told them a bold faced lie without so much as batting an eye. Then again he was military, and they were trained to keep secrets.

“It’s about time we got out of here, you’re done with classes aren’t you?” Hayao asked as a loud bell sounded and students began rushing towards the exits. President and Fix were soon lost among the wave of students and Nancy felt herself relax.

“I just need to stop at the Library to pick up a book.” Nancy lent down and picked up her bag from under the table and pulled the strap over her shoulder as she straightened up. Zhou nodded and Hayao looked around for an exit where they would be less likely to get trampled by the students filing out of the cafeteria.

“Over here you two,” Hayao called over his shoulder as he started walking away towards the north east exit. Nancy quickly followed after him, and Zhou after her. They were soon outside and making their way towards the Library while the other students were heading for the gym or the level buildings where regular classes were held. Hayao led them straight towards the first entrance to the academy’s library and pushed the door open, holding it for Nancy and Zhou while they entered.

“I’d forgotten how big this library is. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had the pleasure of coming here,” Zhou said, looking around. Nancy nodded, the library was the largest in the Angelic Planes and had all of the books for each course as well as extra reading material for any student who wished to study a topic on their own.

Extra tutors were usually available at many of the tables throughout the first floor of the library for the students who were working on their class work and needed assistance while the second floor had an assortment of study rooms that were sound proof from either side so that a group of students or even just one or two could study without any disturbances. Nancy smiled as she thought about the times she had used the smaller rooms to catch extra sleep in when she hadn’t gotten any at home or she just needed a place to hide until the gossip died down about her during the day.

“Hayao you know the book, it’s the same one that we had trouble finding the last time, could you check on this floor to see if it’s been put out for regular reading and I’ll go upstairs to see if it’s in the restricted area again.” Nancy had already started for the stair case when she heard Hayao groan. She smiled to herself, knowing the book wasn’t down stairs. There was only one in the library and she was the only one who had access to it, but she did love to send Hayao off in search of it.

Nancy had gone halfway up the staircase when she realized that Zhou was following her. She paused long enough to let him catch up to her on the stairs and began again with him by her side. She watched him from the corner of her eye; he didn’t seem to notice her though. Instead he seemed to be admiring the library’s magnificence. It almost seemed strange that he could be so calm and together but something as simple as the library at the academy could captivate him. Then again, the first time she had seen the library from the inside it had taken her breath away.

They lights weren’t too bright but not to dim so reading didn’t strain the eyes of the students and the temperature was always very comfortable no matter what the weather was like outside. Even when the library seemed crowded with students it was always very quiet and the students were always much more courteous to one another inside. The library just seemed to have a calming effect on anyone who went inside. Nancy wondered if it was bewitched as she reached the top stair.

Before her were shelves upon shelves of books, most of which she probably hadn’t ever seen before, and probably wouldn’t before her time at the academy was up. To her left were the larger rooms for study groups and to her right were smaller rooms. She motioned for Zhou to follow her past the many rows of shelves and then off towards the right where she found the last of the smaller rooms. The very last door had a small lock connected and Nancy withdrew the key from the bottom of her bag. She unlocked the door and pushed it open then stepped inside.

“I’ll have to ask that you don’t tell anyone, not even Hayao about this room,” Nancy said as she closed to door after Zhou. She laid her bag down on the low sitting table and walked over to the small bookshelf where a few books were placed between a pair of bookends. “It’s sort of a secret. You see, none of the other rooms have lock from the inside, and students aren’t supposed to have keys.”

“I won’t tell anyone,” Zhou said, looking at another bookshelf. Nancy placed two of the books into her bag and watched Zhou take a book from the shelf and open it. She sat down on one of the large cushions by the table and watched him read the book for a little while.

“Zhou, about what you said earlier to those girls...” Nancy trailed off, not sure what to say. He had lied to them, but why? For discretion? Was he just embarrassed at the though of people knowing that he was engaged to her? She had been going to thank him for not telling them the truth but now that she thought about it she wasn’t sure if she wanted to, or even if she wanted to know why he lied in the first place.

“Yasuyoshi wants the engagement to be kept quiet, at least until you decide who you’ll marry,” Zhou said, closing the book and looking back at her. Nancy frowned slightly, raising an eyebrow at him.

“You know it’s not just my decision. It’s up to you too Zhou. I mean.... well.. If we would somehow...” Nancy blushed and looked away. She saw Zhou sit down on a cushion not far from her own and lean back before opening the book again. Several long moments passed before Nancy was able to think of anything to say, and when she did she felt silly saying it. “I have evening classes tomorrow. Just electives for two hours.”

“Which electives do you take?” Zhou asked. Nancy turned her head slightly, he seemed to be reading the book still, but the way his eyes were staring at the page she thought that he might just be looking at the words instead of actually reading them.

“Vocal lessons,” Nancy said without a second thought. She blinked, realizing what she had said. “I mean oratory lessons,” she said quickly. She held her breath and looked intently at her brown loafers tracing the stitching with her eyes.

Zhou closed the book he had been handling and placed it on the table. Yasuyoshi had told him that she had oratory lessons for two hours every Tuesday with Faith. He turned his head so he could see her more clearly. She didn’t seem to be very good with oration though, and he couldn’t help but wonder why she had said she took vocal lessons first. He smiled watching her chew her lower lip.

“What time does your lesson with Harmony begin?” he asked. Nancy’s eyes shot over to him and she stayed still for a moment, thinking things over in her head before she answered him.

“Faith teaches oration courses, not Harmony,” Nancy answered.

“I know,” he said simply, still waiting for an answer to his question. She lowered her head slightly and reached up to pull her hair over her shoulder. She had it tied back in a pony tail but it was still long enough to hang down past the middle of her back. It looked darker against her yellow sweater vest and light blue tie.

“Please don’t tell Yasuyoshi. He wants me to take oration lessons so I can work under him as the Cherubim for the ninth plane once I complete my internship next year but I’m uncomfortable speaking in front of a lot of people. I wasn’t doing well in the Oratory course, even though Faith was acting as my private tutor, so Harmony stepped in an started giving me vocal lessons instead. It’s like oratory but it’s less stressful, once I’m comfortable singing in front of other people then I’ll go back to oratory again.”

“I wont tell him. Besides, the extracurricular lessons are supposed to be chosen by the students, not their parents,” Zhou said. Nancy nodded slightly the thought of what Yasuyoshi had done to her parents hanging in the back of her mind. She stood and absentmindedly smoothed her blue skirt before picking up her bag.

“Thank you again, Zhou. We’d better tell Hayao he can stop looking for that book now. He’d be so furious if he knew that I sent him on a fruitless search every time we came to the library,” Nancy thought aloud and laughed softly. Her laughter quickly ceased however as the thought crossed her mind that she was being cruel to Hayao.

“After you,” Zhou said, breaking her from her thoughts. She nodded and stepped through the door while he held it open, then locked it once he had closed it and returned the key to her bag. She was quiet while they walked back to the stair case, and without any distractions she started to think about Hayao again. She teased him, yelled at him, even smacked him sometimes. Nancy gripped the strap of her bag as her heart sank, she wasn’t very kind to him. With all of the terrible thoughts in her head she barely noticed that they had came to the stair case.

“Nancy, Zhou!” Hayao called, rushing up the stair case towards them. Nancy jumped a little as the yell tore her back from her thoughts and she frowned deeply, wondering why it was Hayao seemed to be so alarmed.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, stopping on the stair case.

“A girl was just murdered outside of the gym. Both Dominions are being called in and the Powers have set up a barrier so no one can get out,” Hayao said. Nancy stiffened, murder was a terrible crime, but for both of the Dominions to be called in made it much more serious. “Because of the girl’s appearance they’re thinking that it may have been an assassination attempt,” Hayao said quickly. He turned to face Zhou, giving him a rather grave look.“The powers are asking for your help in the search until the Dominions get here.”

“Right, don’t let anyone in here until I return Hayao.” Zhou hurried on down the stairs past Hayao. Nancy’s eyes followed Zhou down the stairs and out of sight, she held her breath, listening to his footsteps until one of the doors entering the library opened and shut.

“That poor girl, her family will be so devastated,” Nancy said. She looked back to Hayao trembling a little as she thought about the assassin that could still be lurking on academy grounds. She blinked, surprised to see him so relaxed so suddenly. His lips slowly curled into a smile and he began walking up the stairs towards her.

“I sorry to have had to lie, Princess. But you see, Seraphim would not have left if it was not of the utmost urgency and I could not have him interrupt,” he said. His voice, however, was not Hayao’s, and as he walked his appearance began to change. Nancy’s wide frightened eyes were not on the man’s unfamiliar face however. Instead, she stood frozen while staring at the long blade he was suddenly holding, a blade with blood already dripping down it’s edge.

FA~*~Pure Essence~*~FA
Zhou knew that he had made a terrible mistake as the door slammed shut behind his back. He knew before he noticed the empty grounds, before he saw no trace of a squad of Powers, and sensed that there was no barrier, even before he heard Hayao slamming his fists into the second entrance of the library. He knew because once he had stepped into the fresh air he had been able to smell the death inside the library.

Hayao’s pounding ceased momentarily, and Zhou glanced over to him long enough to see Hayao sending him a vicious glare. Zhou turned so that he was facing the door he had just come through and placed a had on it. It was sealed from the inside, a powerful spell that had probably taken more than just one assassin to complete.

“We’ll need to brake these seals in order to enter. Pounding on the door won’t help,” Zhou said.

“You think that’s all I’m doing?” Hayao hissed, slamming a fist against the door so hard that his knuckled broke open and blood splattered the door. Zhou stared at him, for some reason Hayao’s hair looked as though it were turning black, and if he wasn’t mistaken the blood on the door was not red, but a very distinct shade of blue.

FA~*~Pure Essence~*~FA

Nancy had faced assassins before, but never had she been so alone. Zhou was gone, and she didn’t know what had happened to Hayao. Had be been tricked into leaving the library as well or... no, she couldn’t bear the think that something had happened to him. She pulled the strap of her bag down and swung it at the assassin, letting go so the bag hit him. With her heart pounding she turned and fled from him, not bothering to look back to see if the assassin had been hit or not.

Run and wait. Run and wait. The words repeated in her head. Hayao had told her countless times to run and wait for him to come save her, never stand and fight. She made it back to her private study room and reached for the door knob before remembering that she had just hurled her bag, and the key, at the assassin.

She gasped as someone grabbed her from behind, wrapping an arm around her from behind and putting a knife to her throat. She stiffened, knowing better than to struggle while someone was pressing the edge of a blade against her jugular.

“Princess, don’t be rude. We’ve come all the way from the first plane just to see you. Come now, why don’t you entertain your guests?” said a deep husky voice next to her ear. Nancy winced, wanting to lean away from the warm breath against the side of her face but unable to with the knife pressed to firmly against her.

His breath was heavy with alcohol and though she couldn’t see him behind her she could feel his broad chest against her back. It wasn’t the same guy from the staircase, his voice and his size was different. She felt the knife move against her skin and then a thumb under her chin. She shut her eyes as he tilted back her head and she held her breath.

“She has such a pretty face, let’s peel it off when we’re done.” The husky sounding man was talking to someone, probable the guy from the stair case but she could bring herself to open her eyes and see.

“Those seals will last for a few hours more, it may start to get a little stuffy in here. Let’s made her more comfortable?” The man from the stair case said. He spoke slowly, as though he were still deciding what words to use while he was speaking. “Lets use that table over there.” The knife against her throat moved away and she felt the man who had been holding her grab her arm and pull her around.

Her eyes snapped open as she caught herself before she stumbled. The man half dragged her over to a long table with book shelves on either side and tugged on her to get her to stand by it. She looked at the two men nervously, stepping back only to feel the table against her.

“Who sent you?” she asked, her heart racing.

“Shouldn’t you be more concerned with what it is we’re going to do with you?” said the slower man. “Would you like to know?” Nancy clenched her hands into fists. They had sealed the library, no one was coming to rescue her this time, at least, not until the seals faded. She tried to relax as she reached down inside herself for the strength she needed to fight.

“No,” she said, her voice shaking. “I don’t care what you have to say.” She couldn’t run any more, not backed against a table with both men before her, and she couldn’t wait. She had to stand and fight. The husky-voiced man moved to grab her again and she turned slightly, tucking in her arm before opening her hand and thrusting it upwards into his face. She thought she heard something snap as the man’s head jerked back, a strange strangled gurgling came from his throat and his hit his knees before falling over onto his side. Nancy released the breath she had been holding, her hand stung from the release of energy.

“Oh, very messy Princess. Using so much magic in one hit, you may have killed him but you’ve also depleted much of your own energy, that will make my job all the easier,” the slower speaking man said. Nancy flexed her fingers and looked back to him, smiling slightly.

“No, you’re mistaken I feel much stronger now.” She moved, stepping forwards and bringing both her hands around then pushing them out, palms facing the man while she summed her energy again and released it. There was a light, blinding and beautiful all at once and a noise that seemed to shake the library.

Nancy shivered, the light was gone and in it wake was a corpse. Crushed and disfigured against the wall, blood was splattered all around it. Nancy placed a hand over her mouth and turned away. She managed to take a few steps to get around the side of the table before her legs gave out and she hit her hands and knees. The smell, seeing what she had just done sent her stomach twisting and she retched. Nancy cringed, she hadn’t eaten anything that day, all she could do was dry heave.

She barely jumped when she heard a loud crash from downstairs. Her arms began to shake as she held herself up and began to cough, her own blood spattered the floor. She could hear someone running up the stairs, feel the cold air coming with it and thought to herself that it was death coming to claim her. She bent one arm and laid down on her side, shivering with the cold that was overcoming her.

“Nancy?” called a voice she knew. Nancy sighed, her eyes only half open. She could hear quickened footsteps near and let out a soft whimper.

“Kami, what happened?” asked another voice. Nancy let her eyes close, let her body relax. She felt too tired to do anything now.

“There she is,” said the first voice. She flinched feeling cold hands through her long sleeved shirt. She felt herself being cradled against a cold solid chest and trembled. “Hey, why didn’t you wait for me?” Nancy forced a smile onto her face and tried to open her eyes enough to see her body guard clearly. He only looked like a blur to her but she knew him anyway, without answering him she let her eyes close again and turned her head into his shirt. He was cold, but it felt good against her heated face and soothed her to sleep.