Fan Fiction ❯ Pure Essence ❯ Day Two, Part 2: Feelings ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Warning: There is some naughtiness in this chapter. Tell the kids to look away and for the rest of you, I hope you don’t mind a little romping... The first part is safe though, so you can read that just don’t read after the break if you aren’t comfortable with anything 18+. AND YOU BETTER BE 18+!!! ‘cause you’re not supposed to read it if you aren’t. I’m not gonna be happy if I find out I’m in trouble because someone ignored my warning. Got it?

~Pure Essence~

Hayao leaned his head back against the back of his cushioned chair. There were two others like it in the room, with dark red fabric and wooden feet made of Cheery. One of the chairs was beside his and turned to face the front of Zhou’s large Cherry desk. The book filled shelves were all made of the same wood and the four cushioned couch that was along the wall on his right matched the three cushioned chairs.

He took the time to examine everything, noting that Zhou seemed to have added a few new portraits to his dark teal walls and a rather expensive looking rug he was sure had come from the demons. Though Zhou had many expensive things in his office like ancient works of art and weapons of special magical power that would be a shame to loose amongst worthless trash Zhou seemed to be on the verge of doing just that. Scrolls, papers, empty peanut butter jars, and even a shirt or four were laying everywhere, his desk was cluttered with so many papers that some were falling off and onto the once spotless hardwood floor.

Zhou was seated behind his desk, reading a long scroll that had arrived a few minutes earlier and glaring furiously at the writing. “Junji has asked that Nancy and I come to his home tonight for dinner. He says that Yasuyoshi wants him to check on her after what happened with those assassins this morning,” Zhou said. He leaned back in his chair and tossed the scroll aside.

“You’ve got more than enough paper work to sort out because of that mess. At least half of this crap you’ve got to signature just because you witnessed some of what happened and more are letters from the academy staff asking that you don’t consider closing the academy because of what happened. He knows that you’ve been swarmed with paper work, he just wants you to look like your out having a good time instead of working like a good little Seraphim,” Hayao said, crumpling a letter he had read in his hand.

“We’ll have to go to his dinner tonight, otherwise Yasuyoshi will be furious. Sarah and Fluffy will be able to sort through some of this mess while we’re gone then I’ll handle the rest of it when we get back. Though, I don’t see why Yasuyoshi is so concerned. Nancy obviously is capable of taking care of herself.”

“Sort of,” Hayao mumbled, tossing the crumpled paper onto a pile near the couch while Zhou opened a drawer to look for a pen. “She still hasn’t had any real training with magic or fighting. For her own good I showed her some defensive moves but never with that kind of power. She doesn’t really have that much power, her wings haven’t even gathered an aura yet.”

Zhou nearly dropped the pen he had just managed to find amongst the mess that was his desk. The aura around an angel’s wings was what allowed them to use magic, without it angels were barely stronger than mortals. Though it was just as bizarre to think that, at the age of seventeen, her wings had not yet gathered an aura of their own it was next to impossible that she could summon power. As she was, Nancy was no more than a mortal with wings.

“That can’t be. To have controlled that sort of power without an aura of her own she would have to be one of the Thrones, but the four angels who control the elements, they’ve been chosen.”

“That’s true, Uriel, Gabriel, Raphael, and Michael were all named Elemental Angels ten years ago when they became the Thrones. The thing of it is, they’ve been lending Nancy their auras,” Hayao said, shifting in his seat uncomfortably.

“That’s impossible, you can’t lend someone your aura. It’s uniquely created for each angel when their abilities begin to mature and they start to change their energy to magic power.”

“Yeah well, the Thrones decided that they had too much power. The same night they were named Thrones they gathered and cast a spell. Their auras were broken, divided in half and they hid the extra power away. They trusted Yasuyoshi about as much as we do you know, so they hid their power in the one place they knew he’d never think to look.”

“They channeled their broken aura’s into Nancy. That’s why she can’t gather one of her own,” Zhou said, surprised that Hayao knew about such a thing. “If they wanted it to be kept a secret from Yasuyoshi, then why is it that you know?” he asked Hayao. The half breed grinned at him and leaned forwards, lowering his voice as though he though someone might suddenly be listening in on their conversation.

“I overheard Gabriele when he asked Nancy if she would protect their power, and then saw him transfer it to her. That’s why I came to you originally, when I found out you had the crystal. Nancy’s young, she’s no where near as strong as she could be with her own aura, but she’s done everything she can to protect the secrete of what happened to the power of the Thrones. To this day, she is still the only one who knows where they ran off to after they were elected. You can trust her to protect the crystal, but first she has to trust you.”

“I’m not sure how I’ll ever manage to make her trust me. I don’t think she really believes what I told her about Kami and Serenity, and she’s definitely not comfortable with my involvement with demons. Fluffy told me that she let it slip to her that your father was demon, why don’t you try to coax her into feeling safer with demons around, then she might start to see Yasuyoshi’s dark side,” Zhou said, signing some of the papers on his desk and setting them aside.

“Zhou, I told you that I would do anything you needed me to in order to bring Yasuyoshi down. But if your plan ends with her getting hurt then... I won’t let you use her like Yasuyoshi will.” Hayao stood, turning his back on Zhou. He headed for the door, intending to go and see how Nancy was doing since they had brought her back.

“Hayao,” Zhou said, stopping him. “I don’t intend to hurt her, and I’m not going to “use” her. Once she knows what is really going on she’ll make the decisions herself.”

“It had better be that way. And don’t tell anyone else about her using the power of the Thrones, if Yasuyoshi found out he’d try to use her to lure them out of hiding.”

FA~*~Pure Essence~*~FA

Nancy gasped for breath as she sat up in her bed, placing a hand over her racing heart as she tried to calm herself. She kicked at the blanket covering her until it was piled at the foot of her bed and she pushed herself so she could sit with her back against the headboard. Someone had taken her back to Zhou’s mansion and laid her down. She wasn’t tired anymore; she was energized, restless, and hot.

She felt like her skin was boiling, and so she jerked off her vest and pulled at her tie until it came loose so she could pull it off and toss it to the other side of the room. Next went her shirt and then her skirt until she was clad in her underwear. Still hot, she tried to think of the quickest way to get cool while using her balled up shirt to wipe the sweat from her face and the back of her neck.

She tossed the shirt aside and slid off her bed while reaching back to unhook her bra. She tossed it over to the growing pile of her discarded clothes and quickly slipped off her panties before snatching her short, thin, silk robe from the closet and wrapping it around her and tying the sash at her side.

Nancy crossed her room and opened her door, not stopping to think that someone might come across her in the hall and find out she was practically nude. She made her way through the halls in an almost trance like state. She was still breathing heavily, still too hot and heading for the bath where she intended to plunge into a tub full of cold water.

The bath was easy enough to find on her own, which might have surprised her if she was thinking clearly. Instead, she opened the door and stepped inside, pulling the sash so it came undone and let the robe slide down off her shoulders and onto the floor. She went over to the tub and turned one of the knobs until water came pouring from the faucet. She began to pace the room while waiting for the tub to fill until she noticed a shower head in the back of the room.

Nancy turned the water off to the bath and went over to the shower head, standing under it she hit one of the two switches and cold water poured down onto her head. Nancy cried out and jumped back out of the water, suddenly too cold. The shock seemed to knock some sense into her and she felt her heartbeat slowing. With a deep breath she hit the switch again to turn the water off and then switched on the hot water.

She stepped back under the water, placing her hands against the wall and dropping her head to expose the back of her neck to the pressurized flow. The kneading sensation felt good against her tense muscles and soon she was much more relaxed. As she relaxed she came to realize how sore her body felt and began to think about turning on the bath again.

Steam had begun to filter into the room through vents near the ceiling, veiling the room. Nancy wondered briefly if she had hit a switch without realizing it or if steam came on automatically with the shower before she pushed the thought away and looked for the bath. It was only a few feet, but still too far to walk at the moment, maybe after she was finished letting the water run down her back. She smiled slightly and turned her head to let the water hit the back of her neck.

Through her slitted eyelids she noticed a bottle of clear blueish liquid setting nearby and lent down to pick it up. She flicked the cap open and inhaled the scent, finding that she liked the smell she poured a generous glob onto the palm of her hand and began to lather it into her hair. She sighed, the steam was filling the room and making it seem closer, warmer. She didn’t mind though, having forgotten that the bath was a few feet to many to walk over to she went over and turned on the hot water. After she washed she would soak the soreness right out of her.

She walked back to the shower tilted her head back so she could rinse the soap from her hair. As she was straitening back up she thought she heard the door shut and stiffened, peering through the steam to see who was there. Though the steam obstructed her vision she could still make out shapes, well, one shape. A tall, broad shouldered, man-like shape.

It took a few seconds for the full recognition to hit her but once it did she nearly fell while trying to scramble over to a nearby bench with towels. Nancy snatched a towel from the bench and hurriedly wrapped it around her torso. What if it was another messenger? Or Hayao? Well, it wouldn’t be so bad if it was Hayao; she could reprimand him and send him right back out of the room.

“Why is the shower on?” the shape asked. Nancy held her breath as she became still. She watched as the shape turned off the shower and then she frowned. She knew that form, and the voice.

“Zhou?” She timidly asked. Sure enough he whirled around looking for the source of the voice that had called his name. Nancy blushed and, holding her towel, walked towards him. “It’s just me.”

“I... I didn’t know you were in here.” Zhou said, he seemed to be watching her closely through the steamy haze.

“I’m sorry, I was just washing off before getting into the bath. But, I’m done now so I’ll leave,” Nancy said, still holding onto her towel, careful to look anywhere but at Zhou. Sure, he was her fiancé, if they decided to they might even get married someday but until then being in a room with him, both of them wearing nothing but towels, it was completely inappropriate. What if someone were to see them together?

“Please stay. You’ve had a very stressful day and a bath would definitely help soothe your nerves,” he said, motioning for her to go on and get into the bath. Nancy hesitated, the steam seemed to be clearing and if it did then she might see... he might see...

Zhou was going to leave right? He wouldn’t stay there and bath with her would he? Of course not, he was the head of the Angelic Army, the Seraphim, one of her father’s closest friends. A man much older than she was. It would be entirely inappropriate.

So why was he taking off his towel? Why was the head of the Angelic Army, the Seraphim, one of her father’s closest friends taking off his towel and getting into the bath? Why would a man that was much older than she was looking at her and waiting for her to join him in the bath? Did he know he was being entirely inappropriate?

Nancy tensed, why were her feet moving? She hadn’t told them to move! Zhou looked away and she felt her hands pulling at her towel, discarding it as she lowered herself into the tub. What was she doing? Bathing with him was so terrible inappropriate, he was her fiancé! She shouldn’t be... wait, he was her fiancé. Sure, they hadn’t made anything official, they were just staying together, getting to know one another. But he was still her fiancé. It would be okay. Wouldn’t it?

“Hayao just left my office a little while ago to check on you. I’m sure that he’d be relieved to find you doing well enough to get around on your own,” Zhou said. He was sitting on one of the under-water seats with his back against the wall of the sunken in tub.

“I wasn’t hurt by either of those two men. I think I may have just exhausted myself, using so much power at once.” Nancy positioned herself carefully, sitting on the edge of another seat and turned towards him.

“I was... I’m sorry that I left you. I should have seen through that guise immediately, and there’s no excuse for me not to have,” Zhou said.

“No,” Nancy said, shaking her head. “I’ve spent such a long time with Hayao by my side. He fooled me too Zhou. There’s nothing for you to apologize for. After all, those two men won’t hurt anyone anymore. That’s what matters.”

“Yes. You’re right.” Zhou nodded slightly and then, carefully, rolled one of his shoulders back as though nodding his head had hurt. Nancy frowned slightly, he must have come in to soothe his aching muscles just as she had. The seals that the assassins had put up must have been very strong, and taken a lot of energy to brake through.

Nancy drew in a deep breath to steady herself as she scooted closer to him. He rose an eyebrow at her and Nancy blushed as she smiled at him. “A thank you, for being so hospitable. I’ll rub your shoulders for you.” Zhou looked hesitant at first, but only a fool would look a gift horse in the mouth, and Zhou was definitely not a fool. So he nodded and moved to one side while turning his back to her. Nancy positioned herself behind him on her knees so she was raised out of the water. She paused, noting that she was now uncovered, but with his back to her it wouldn’t be a problem.

He sighed, shoulders slumping as her fingers pressed against the tense muscles near his neck. She used her thumbs to knead into the sore area around the base of his neck and brought her fingers around to massage his tense shoulders. She bit her lower lip, noting the pale scars on his arms and back, they stood out against he tanned, smooth skin. Some were small, like glancing cuts that had been received in a dodge, one was diagonal across his back from his left shoulder to midway down his side. She tried to avoid touching it, it was healed, but such a wound could still be painful at times.

She started to shift her position and then remembered that she was already on the edge of the seat. If she wasn’t careful she would likely fall off, so she leaned forwards and then paused, if she leaned in too far her breasts would... Nancy swallowed, hard and instead spread her legs so that the side of on of her knees was against the wall of the bath and the other was halfway off the seat. It was a little uncomfortable but as long as she leaned more towards the wall of the bath she wouldn’t fall.

Her fingers worked circles along his spine and out across his back, trailing scars where she found them. Zhou seemed to relax more under her slowly kneading digits and she brought her hands back up to his shoulders before moving to his arms.

He was broad-shouldered, but his muscle structure was lean and well toned. She thought about how skilled he would have to be in order to have made it all the way to Seraphim and absentmindedly leaned in closer while her hands moved down his biceps. Nancy breathed in, finding a strange scent in the air she turned her head slightly, moving closer to him to find the scent. It was pleasant, not like the perfume of a woman but manly and equally alluring.

She was almost unaware of her hot breath against Zhou’s neck and ear as she breathed him in. Nancy blinked when she felt Zhou stirring, shifting and turning. His skin brushing against her chest she hadn’t noticed was pressing against his back. Nancy leaned back slightly, giving him room to turn around as he hands came up to cup the sides of her face.

What is this?’ she thought as his firm, yet gentle hands pulled her in, down to meet him. Her eyes were slitted open as he kissed her. ‘What am I doing?’ She thought again as their lips moved together, she followed his lead, placing her hands on his shoulders as her lips parted and Zhou’s tongue slid into her mouth.

His hands slipped from her face to her shoulders and around to her back. His hands felt hot against her skin and made her shiver against his caressing grasp. She felt his hands travel down her back and then to her waist. She pulled away from him when his hands cupped her ass and he paused, the two of them looking into one another’s eyes.

She knew that if it were any other man she would have walked right out of the bath when he had come in. She wouldn’t have dropped her towel, or joined any other man in a bath. She certainly wouldn’t have touched him. Yet, there was something about Zhou that made her feel as though it was alright.

Nancy lent down to kiss him, timidly, as though it were the first time and raised her hand to touch the side of his face. His cheek felt smooth under her hand, warm and wet from the bath water, but firm and strong along his jaw line. She inhaled, his scent filling her and making her head swim as she opened her mouth for him.

She barely noticed him pulling her closer, lifting her as she tilted her head and curiously licked her tongue along his. He tasted like Fluffy’s sour lemonade and sugar, and she moved her hand around to the back of his neck, entwining her fingers in his soft black hair while she eagerly tasted him.

He panted, leaning back from her to break the kiss, she cool air rushing into her lungs but didn’t remember breathing it in. She could feel one of Zhou’s arms wrap around her lower back, his other hand slid up over her side and towards her chest as he kissed her lips again. Her eyes opened wide in surprise as his hand cupped her breast and Zhou’s lips traced a path from her lips to her jaw line and then her neck.

Nancy felt the air rush from her lungs in a gasp as his hot breath trailed over her neck. She leaned her head back and to one side, trembling as his tongue and teeth meet her flesh. She held onto him, one hand clutching his shoulder, the other lost in his hair as he sucked and nipped at her throat while he began to caress her breast.

She felt his hand shift against her breast, his fingers moving so that he could tease her raised nub between his thumb and forefinger and she inhaled deeply, arching her back to press her chest against his hand. She felt a low warmth spreading from deep within her as Zhou’s mouth descended from her throat.

“Zhou...” she whined breathlessly. His mouth closed over her untouched breast, sucking and licking at the bath water until he was satisfied. She bit her own lip as his tongue pressed against her nipple, swirled around it and sucked until she whined again under his handling.

She was so focused on his teeth grazing over her that the hand he had been caressing her other breast with was forgotten as he slipped it back down along her body. She gasped, her body tensing as she felt him between her.

“Zhou!” Sarah called into the room through a crack in the door. Nancy jumped as Zhou’s head shot back, his wide eyes locking on the door. She felt his arm around her loosen and she quickly moved around him, grabbing the side of the bath and pulling herself out before Zhou could voice a protest. “Zhou you’ll be late if you don’t leave soon.”

Nancy’s eyes darted back to Zhou as the door quickly shut. His eyes met hers only for a moment before she snatched the towel off of the floor and wrapped it around herself. Her legs were trembling, her skin still burned where he had touched her and the fabric of the towel rubbing against her sensitized breasts made her knees week. She didn’t look as Zhou pulled himself from the bath, ignoring whatever it was he tried to say as she grabbed her robe and headed out the door.

Her face burned red as she thought about what she had let him do to her. The feel of his hands against her skin, his taste, his scent... She’d never be able to take a bath again without thinking about him.

FA~*~Pure Essence~*~FA

Nancy hadn’t been able to stop frowning since Hayao had found her in her room and told her that Junji wanted her and Zhou to have dinner at his home. She hadn’t been able to look Zhou in the eye since coming back in contact with him. But, worst of all, she wasn’t able to say a word to him. She was half afraid she might start apologizing, or trying to convince him that she normally wasn’t so...

She couldn’t even hold her head up she felt so ashamed. She was sure that he thought she was one of those “loose” women, like the ones that Junji always went out with. Though, the thought occurred to her, as she and Zhou were entering a transport to the eighth angelic plane, that Zhou wouldn’t have gone along with it if he hadn’t wanted to.

That made her even more nervous. By the time she and Zhou had arrived at Junji’s mansion she could barely think to form sentences. She was sure that she was twitching, and tried to stay a step away from Zhou. If he thought she was “loose” then he probably liked that sort of woman. But, she wasn’t like that at all; and, she was fairly certain she didn’t want to be with someone who wanted her to be that way. It was why she hated Junji so much.

She jumped when Zhou rand the bell, and blushed furiously when he asked if she was alright. She nodded quickly, looking at him for just a moment, and prayed to Kami, the creator of all angels, that Zhou would leave her at Junji’s. She knew how to deal with him. Yet, as they waited for someone to answer the door she chanced another look at Zhou and was startled by what she saw.

He looked concerned. Why? Was he afraid she might tell Junji that they had been doing some very dirty things in the bath? Did he think she might tell him that he had come onto her, taken advantage of her after she was attacked by the assassins?

Well she wouldn’t. As far as she was concerned nothing had happened, she’d go back home and tell Yasuyoshi, murderer of her real parents or not, that she’d marry Junji, the disgusting pervert that he was. Then, she’d tell Yasuyoshi that she never wanted to see Zhou, or hear his name, again.

“Nancy,” Zhou began. She stiffened, looking away from him. It didn’t matter what he said she wouldn’t listen to it. “I was... inappropriate-“ So he did know he had been inappropriate! “...took advantage of you-“ Yes, yes he had taken advantage of her. “...I think you should go back home-“ Her thoughts exactly, she’d tell Yasuyoshi exactly what she thought about the new Seraphim, the perverted little... “I shouldn’t have let my feelings for you get the better of me. I’m sorry.”

His what for her? Nancy looked up at him, stared at him in utter disbelief as he frowned down at her, looking more ashamed than she could have ever imagined someone could look. Her heart pounded in her chest and she tried to think of what to say to him.

“Zhou, I-“

”Ah, Seraphim, Princess, welcome,” said the butler as the door to Junji’s mansion opened. Nancy frowned slightly and followed Zhou inside. She barely took notice to her surroundings. She had stayed there many times before when Yasuyoshi was away and he wanted her to stay with someone so she’d be safer.

Ha. Junji never seemed to tire of flaunting his expensive home and the things that filled it before her. Trying to impress her. All of the gold and jewels hurt her eyes, and his countless servants made her feel uneasy. She hated people waiting on her at every moment. At least Zhou hadn’t tried to flaunt anything at her. She had actually enjoyed her time with him so far, even with the upsets.

“Nancy, I’m so pleased you came!” Junji called, walking towards Zhou and herself from across his ridiculously huge diningroom. His table sat more than fifty people, with room enough for five to sit at either edge. The chairs were all high-backed with royal blue velvet cushioned seats that matched the gold and blue table cloth. The table and chairs were both made of golden oak and had leaf and vine engravings on the legs, as well as running up the back of each chair.

Nancy tried to ignore Junji as he reached her, spouting some nonsense about how he had missed seeing her and how she would have to spend the night since dinner would run later than her curfew would allow her out. She glared at him, unable to retort as he then started in on Zhou.

She tried to pretend that she hadn’t heard him ask Zhou if he had peeked in on her changing, and felt more than a little relived when Zhou answered by explaining that he had more integrity than that.

Junji managed a few more remarks she continued to ignore before leading them to the other side of the room to where his servants had finished setting their places to eat. Nancy almost cringed at the sight. Junji’s finest dinnerware, it made her stomach turn to see the crystal wine glasses, the polished silverware, and the spotless bone white plates with real gold trim.

There were three places set. One was the center chair at the head of the table, and two were the first chairs at either side of the table, two seats from the first setting. Nancy fought not to grimace as Junji pulled the center chair out and looked at her expectantly. She really hated him. The center chair was for the guest of honor, or Yasuyoshi when he came to eat. She felt embarrassed to sit there, but held her tongue and took a seat, begrudgingly letting Junji scoot the chair back into place. Zhou took the seat to the left of her and Junji sat on the right, both far enough away to make her feel alienated.

“Well, I hope you’ll both enjoy the meal,” Junji said, his tone making Nancy cast him a glare. She knew that tone, it was a cocky tone that someone used when they had just done something no one else could do anything about.

She barely batted an eyelash as the food suddenly appeared on their plates, and trays and wine appeared on the table. She looked at her plate and sighed seeing that Junji really was a spiteful person.

Now she couldn’t eat. She stared at the rack of lamb Junji had ordered his servants to prepare and pictured the white fluffy animal it had come from. She almost cried thinking about how it had been slaughtered just so someone could eat it. She looked up from her plate, starving because she hadn’t eaten anything that day, and cursing Junji for knowing that she didn’t eat lamb.

“Your father wants to know if you want to go home,” Junji said, cutting his lamb with a fork. Nancy waited for Junji to look away and then turned her eyes to Zhou who seemed to be less than interested in eating his own lamb. His eyes raised to meet hers and she felt her chest tighten. He had said that she should go home. But, did he want her to? Did she really want to?

“No, not yet.” Nancy looked away, poking her fork into a piece of asparagus. “I’m not ready to go home.” She wanted to talk to Zhou, find out just what his feelings were. How he could possibly have feelings for her after just meeting her.

“You’re more than welcome to stay with me. I’m sure you’ll feel safer knowing that I won’t be leaving your side.” Junji smirked at Zhou. Nancy frowned slightly, seeing Zhou’s eyes turn cold as the two men stared one another down. “Though, my place is being renovated and there aren’t any spare rooms. Well, with the two of us engaged now it shouldn’t be a problem to share a bed.” Zhou put down his fork and leaned back in his seat, glaring slightly.

“Why would we need to share it when you’re always out in someone else’s?” Nancy said quickly, snapping at him. Junji drew back as thought she had just hit him and Zhou’s cold glare lifted. Nancy tried hard not to move as Junji’s eyes studied her. His lips curled into a smile and she scowled.

“Are you jealous?” he asked. “Say the word and I’ll let you know exactly what you’ve been missing out on. I’ll even be gentle for you first time.” Nancy felt the air escape her lungs as though his words had been a physical blow. She cursed him under her breath for having said such a thing in front of Zhou. What would he think of her now that he knew she was a virgin, and still had been so...

“Junji, Yasuyoshi would have your tongue for speaking that way to his daughter. I’ll ignore you this once but if you continue then he will know what you’re saying,” Zhou said. He sounded calm, almost unattached, but Nancy could see a savage glare resting behind his stormy grey eyes. If she had still felt angry at him he might have sounded cowardly for saying that he’d go to Yasuyoshi instead of dealing with Junji himself. But knowing that he had some sort of feelings for her, she thought it was better than going after Junji himself, and giving him a reason to suspect something was going on.

“Zhou, show a little spine why don’t you? Aren’t you her fiancé? And you’ll let me say what I have and only threaten to tell her father? Did you forget that you’re a Seraphim? Or is that only a tittle?” Junji asked, his voice teasing. Nancy bit her tongue, he was trying to get Zhou to loose his temper, maybe he wanted to fight.

“I don’t need to flaunt my name as you do. But if it’s a fight you want, I won’t be opposed to showing you the edge of my sword.” Zhou never lost the glint in his eyes as he spoke, and Nancy thought she saw his eyes flicker from grey to black, but it may have just been his anger rising and falling in his gaze.

“Zhou, not all wars are fought on the battlefield with blood and shields and swords. You may keep that knife of yours sheathed.” Junji leaned back in his seat and the two men settled for glaring at one another across the table.

Nancy looked from one to the other and felt the corner of her mouth twitch upwards. Junji and Zhou were arguing over her. The very thought was ludicrous, they were both full grown adults with centuries behind and ahead of them, and they were arguing about a seventeen year old girl. She picked up the glass of wine before her and took a long drink before setting it back down and standing up.

She placed her hands on the table, one on either side of her plate and leaned forwards, her head down while she closed her eyes and tried to gather her words. Her mind was so jumbled with thoughts and questions it was hard to think of anything that wouldn’t sound suspicious to Junji. She was surprised that Zhou had taken Junji’s bait and actually threatened to fight him. For him to do so meant that he really did feel something for her, he wasn’t just saying it.

“I didn’t ask for your help, Zhou.” She said, trying to sound angry as she felt a strange fluttering sensation in her stomach. “I don’t need you or Yasuyoshi to fight any battles for me.” She turned her head to the right, glaring at Junji more maliciously than usual. “You cretin, I wouldn’t let you touch me even if you had me under a curse.”

She turned from the table, exiting the room using the servant’s door that led to the food preparation room, then to the kitchen. She nodded to the servants the bowed deeply to her, or were so shocked they dropped what they had in their hands. Using the servant’s passages she managed to make it to the front door before either Zhou or Junji could have gotten halfway there through the mansion.

Nancy knew that storming out without another word had been childish, but Junji would have expected it from her. She didn’t want him questioning Zhou when they actually had something to hide. She shuddered to think of what Junji would do if he found out, what Yasuyoshi would do to Zhou if he found out.

She buried her face in her hands and sighed into them; she felt tense and uneasy. She was starting to dread the idea of talking to Zhou about what happened, how was she supposed to ask him about his feelings when she didn’t quite have a good handle on her own? She had been ready to storm home and curse his name before she found out that he had feelings for her, now she could barely keep from trembling as she wondered if she was starting to have feelings for him.

He just seemed so different from the other men she knew. She liked how he hadn’t tried to be flashy like Junji was, or that he hadn’t treated her like a child like Yasuyoshi. And he didn’t seem to treat her like she was different from anyone else, in fact, he treated his own slaves like regular people. He had been so honest and understanding when he didn’t have to be.

Nancy smiled into her palms as she thought that she really had begun to like him. She let the thought creep into her mind that she might have even begun to trust him. Nancy let her hands fall from her face as she heard footsteps coming closer and she looked to see Zhou coming around the corner.

“Is Junji not following you?” she asked, somewhat angrily in case Junji wasn’t to far behind.

“No, he stayed in the dining room,” Zhou answered. Nancy felt herself relax and she sighed.

“I’m sorry, Zhou. I didn’t want to have to say that to you. I was happy you took up for me, Junji just...” She sighed again, feeling that explaining about Junji would make her too angry to think about it clearly.

“I understand. Though, I admit I took things to far. I shouldn’t have threatened him.”

“No, you’re quite the gentleman Zhou, if you hadn’t taken up for me I’m sure that Junji would have been more than curious for your lapse of chivalry.” Nancy smiled at him, clasping her hands behind her back as Zhou nodded. He returned her smile, and opened the front door, holding it for her so she could leave first.

“And, as a gentleman, what do you think I should do now?” he asked. Nancy thought she heard him chuckle to himself as he spoke and she glanced over her shoulder at him as they walked towards the front gate.

“Get us something decent to eat,” she said, hoping he was as hungry as she was now.