Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for the Master Sword ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Zelda was awakened by the rising sun shining through the window that was next to the bed. She sat up and yawned and stretched, saw that Link was still sleeping. "Rise and shine, lover," Zelda said in Link's ear as she leaned down and shook his shoulder.

"...I don't do mornings...," came Link's sleepy voice.

"How about a cup of cold water?" Zelda murmured in his ear. "Link, we don't have time to fool around. We need to get to that Master Sword before Ganon does!"

Link blinked, then immediately sat up. "Oh yeah, that's right!"

"Hurry up and get dressed," said Zelda as she got out of bed and began pulling her clothes on. "We'll get something to eat really quick, then head for the Moruge Swamp area."

Link pulled on his leggings and tunic and boots, then set his cap upon his head. Getting their gear together, they left the room and headed downstairs to the inn's dining room and had breakfast.

As they ate, they went over their plans. "We'll have to leave Catherine in Saria Town," said Zelda as they pored over a map they'd brought along. "Since we have to go through the mountains...."

"Yeah," said Link. "Or leave her with my buddy Bagu near Saria."

"That'll work. But it's going to be some journey through the mountains."

"Yeah and these mountains, we are better off on foot rather than horseback," Link noted. "I should know, I've been through them."

"What I just said!"

"I was just agreeing with you," Link told her, giving that lopsided grin she thought was so cute on him. "Well, ready to go on our journey, my lovely wife?"

"What do you think, hero?"


Link pushed Catherine to a gallop, and to their right the mountains sped by, to their left some hills. From a distance, if they could see over the hills, North Castle was just visible.

"There it is, Link, just up ahead," Zelda said, pointing at the entrance to the tunnel.

"Got your magic candle on you?"

"Of course."

At the entrance the couple dismounted, and Zelda took her magic candle out of her pouch. Instantly a bright red flame appeared on it.

"Slowly," said Link, who could feel the hairs prickling on the back of his neck.

Zelda knew what her husband meant. If Ganon knew that they meant to stop him from getting the Master Sword, he would have sent his servants out to stop them. She stayed behind him, holding the candle out in front of them. Catherine walked slowly behind them.

They entered the cave slowly, cautiously. Link's heart quickened in anticipation, Zelda's in apprehension. Link slowly, quietly slipped his sword out of its scabbard, which hung from his belt on his left side. He also took his magic shield from his belt pouch, which hung on his right, and it automatically enlarged. "Stay behind me, honey," he whispered to Zelda.

"I am," Zelda whispered back. "Link...I just have this feeling we're being watched...." She turned her head, saw nothing. "This really creeps me out...."

Catherine let out a low whinny. "What is it, Catherine?" Zelda whispered to her husband's horse.

The two Hylians and the horse froze as a flapping sound echoed throughout the rocky passage. Suddenly there was a screeching sound.

Zelda screamed and ducked as a Keese swooped down, its teeth bared and ready to sink into her flesh. Link automatically whirled around and aimed his sword. A bolt came from his sword and hit the bat-like Keese, banishing it to the Evil Jar in Ganon's Underworld chamber.

"We'll be lucky if that's all," said Link.

He'd spoken too soon.

"Link!" Zelda screamed.

He whirled around again and cried out in pain as a Goriya's boomerang hit him in the side of his head, near his temple; fortunately it wasn't hard enough to knock him out. "You little creep!" Link snarled as he and the Goriya went at it, Link blocking its boomerangs and firing at it with his sword. He could feel his blood running down his left cheek from the wound that first boomerang had left.

Link had just dispatched the Goriya when several Deelers--spider-like creatures--dropped from the ceiling. They were accompanied by several Stalfos and Molblins.

Zelda quickly set the candle down and took her magic bow out of her pouch. With one arrow she managed to dispatch all of the Deelers, which were in more or less a straight line. Zelda was an expert archer, possibly the best in all Hyrule, with Link coming in a rather close second.

The pair plowed their way through Ganon's small army, Link firing away with his sword, Zelda covering his rear, her bow ready. Several times she'd caught a monster trying to sneak up on them and quickly got rid of them. Even Catherine joined in the fray a little, kicking several monsters with her rear hooves.

A Stalfo threw a bomb at Link, who neatly deflected it with his shield. The bomb went off, destroying the rest of the monsters in the process...and setting off a cave-in.

"Zelda, let's get out of here, hurry!" Link cried. Sheathing his sword, he grabbed her hand. "Come on, Catherine!" He held his shield over his and Zelda's heads, protecting them from falling rock.

They ran out through the southern opening of the passage, and just in time. Link and Zelda watched as the passage was blocked partway by the cave-in. "I always said Stalfos were bone-headed," Link quipped. "Looks like we'll have to find another way back, provided we get the Master Sword."

"Speaking of bone-headed," said Zelda. "Sit down. You have a nasty-looking wound on the side of your head."

Link sat down on a rock, and Zelda took a cloth from the canvas bag and wet it a little with water from her canteen. Link winced as she cleaned his wound. "Ow...that hurts, Zelda!"

"Don't be such a baby, Link," said Zelda as she parted his hair there. "Your hair's going to be tangled there from where it's bleeding. Fortunately it's not as bad as I thought."

"I'll worry about that later," said Link. "And I know from experience that head wounds bleed a little more. I've been hit a lot there."

"That explains it then," Zelda smirked as she pressed a folded cloth to his wound.

Link glared at her a little.

"Oh, I'm just teasing, sweetie," Zelda said as she kissed his cheek. "I think you'll be all right, just keep that cloth there. Now let's drop Catherine off at Bagu's house."

Link and Zelda mounted Catherine and they rode through the swamp, dodging some Octoroks. Zelda pulled out her bow and managed to nail a few as they rode, and Catherine trampled some more. Link had to concentrate on steering Catherine in the right direction.

After a while they were back on dry ground and they rode through the forest. Soon they came upon a small cottage, where Bagu, one of Hyrule's strongest men, resided.


"Look after your horse? Sure, little buddy," said the hulking man as he, Zelda, and Link sat down at the small table inside the cottage. "Always glad to help my friends. Why don't you stay for a quick lunch?"

Link and Zelda looked at each other. "All right," said Zelda.

"I am kinda hungry," Link put in.

"You're always hungry," Zelda reminded him.

As Link and Zelda ate, they told Bagu of their quest. "We just want to make sure Ganon doesn't get his claws on it, or Hyrule is in deep trouble," Link concluded as he spooned more soup into his mouth.

"Do you even know where the sword is?" Bagu asked.

"Yes, we have an idea, but we don't want to tell. That way if Ganon or his minions comes and asks, you won't be able to tell," said Zelda. "For your safety--and ours."

"Makes sense," said Bagu, scratching his short, curly brown beard. "I think...."


After the meal Link thanked Bagu for keeping Catherine for a while; then he and Zelda headed south, on their way to Saria.

"Link--" Zelda stopped, placed her hands over her stomach.

"You all right?"

"I--I think so," she said. "Just felt a little nauseous for a minute there...."

"I don't think it's Bagu's cooking. I feel fine," said Link as he took her hand. "Maybe you're just stressed."

"Yeah, maybe that's it," Zelda agreed as she let Link lead her along to a bridge.


Ganon growled as he searched all around the remains of the Temple of Time's foundation not too far from Spectacle Rock. He was going to search the Lost Woods, but he'd thought he'd look here first, see if maybe, throughout the past decades, someone had moved the Master Sword back to its original location.

Hyrule's terrain had changed in the centuries, and even in the past century. For all Ganon knew the Master Sword might not even be in the Lost Woods anymore. Still, he had his minions out hunting for it.

Speaking of hunting....

Ganon formed a circle with his thumbs and middle fingers, and a yellow flash of light was formed in the circle. He used his magic to look at the Moruge passageway, and saw that the entrance to the south was blocked.

He grinned. "Looks like Link and Zelda are trapped! But of course I mustn't assume anything. It'll at least give them a nice delay--and me a nice head start!"

The image changed, and he saw something that enraged him. Link and Zelda were emerging from a cottage, and headed south. Ganon let out a shriek of rage. "You fools! You're supposed to eliminate them!" he roared.

He mounted his giant beetle. "To the Lost Woods! The sooner I find that Master Sword the sooner I conquer Hyrule!"