Fan Fiction ❯ Rainbow ❯ Long Night ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yay! You're reading more, I love you! Are you enjoying it so far? What do you think of Sebastion? Any impressions of Klaus yet? Read and lemme know what you think!

Chapter Two - Long Night

"What are you doing here?" Sebastion managed to say. Of all people, why the hell does it have to be this guy? I absolutely hate my life.

Sebastion managed not to glare at the grin that appeared on Klaus' face. "Like I just said, I came for my mom. Is she still here? She didn't try to do anything stupid like go back to the car, did she?"

"…No, she's still here…Come on in." Sebastion stepped back, allowing Klaus to step inside. Pushing the door hard enough to close it, he then turned and started walking back toward the kitchen, motioning briefly for Klaus to follow him.

The two figures entered the kitchen. Meredith smiled as she caught sight of her son. Klause moved to embrace her, "Hey Mom, you okay? I told you not to take our car, didn't I?" Stepping back, he gave his mother a reprimanding look.

"Oh hush you. I got home just fine-almost. And besides, with the new job I'm sure I'll be able to afford a new car soon." This brought her son up short.

"You got the job?"

"Not quite yet. But the interview and all went rather well in my estimation. I'm sure I'll get it."
"Oh." At this Klause recalled where he was, and looked up to encounter the smiling face of Benny, "Ah, thanks for helping my mom out."

Benny reached out a hand to grip Klause' slender arm in a reassuring grip, "Our pleasure, believe me. Your name is Klause, right? Can I tell you that I simply love your hair?" Benny moved her hand to play with the colorful bangs falling into Klause' eyes. "'Bastion, doesn't this remind you of…what was his name." She turned a fond smile on Sebastion, still hanging in the entryway.

Klause watched in confusion as the smile melted into a chagrined frown, the friendly, short woman before him suddenly pulling her hand away. He looked toward the entryway, where Sebastion's frown was deeper than ever. She forced a new smile on her face, "Would you like some pizza? I was just fixing some for `Bastion."

"Oh no, I'm sure we've bothered you long enough."

"Nonsense. Your mother said the same thing and I ignored her, so I'll ignore you as well. Have a seat."

Meredith spoke up, sipping slowly from her mug. "Do you two know each other, Klause babe?"

Klause turned to look briefly at Sebastion, who had moved toward the microwave to retrieve his pizza, "Ah, kind of. We have a couple of classes together, I think."

"You think?" Meredith looked amused.

"We have trig and AP English together." Sebastion's voice was low, the teasing tone from his earlier exchanges with Benny completely absent.

"Oh, really? Then maybe you can explain to me why my son's English grades are so poor." Meredith laughed lightly.

Sebastion's expression didn't change, "That's because Mr. Polycarp doesn't like him, everyone knows that." Walking around the island, he offered the paper plate full of pizza to Klause. "Here, I hope you like supreme."

"Oh. Thanks." Klause accepted the steaming plate more or less shoved at him, sitting hastily down at one of the stools around the island. The mixed scents of peppers, sausage, and onions wafted up at him, reminding him how long it had been since he'd eaten. Eagerly he dug into the reheated meal. "Thanks…ah…"

Benny laughed, "Call me Benny, please. And you're welcome. Don't even worry about it." Benny seemed to hesitate, "It's not often we get guests, so the company's appreciated." She exchanged a smile with Meredith, moving to retrieve the coffee pot, "More coffee, Meredith?"

"Mm, please." She waited as Benny refilled her mug, enjoying a scalding sip before speaking again, "So when did you all move in to this old place? I had no idea anyone lived here anymore, it's been empty for decades

"We moved right as school started, I remember Sebastion actually missed the first two day of school." Benny bustled to the microwave, opening the door to halt the piercing chime. Turning, she handed over the most recently heated slices to Sebastion, who stood silently by the island sipping a soda, lost in thought. Absently mindedly he began to eat.

Klause spoke up, "I'm surprised, this house looks a lot nicer inside than I expected."

"Klause!" Meredith shot her son a dark look, rising from her seat.

"Sorry!" Klause shot an apologetic look toward Sebastion, who actually gave a short burst of laughter. "It's just we've always said this house is too ugly to even be haunted. Kinda habit."

"Bah. Don't worry about it. I call this damned house an atrocity every time I'm forced to see it."

"Maybe, but that's still two strikes against me. I apologize for the library, by the way."

Sebastion looked briefly startled, his face softening slightly with the absence of his frown. "Bah. Don't worry about it."

Benny glared at Sebastion though she spoke to Klause, "What happened in the library?"

Klause shrugged uncomfortably, "The triplets and I were rather rude to him."

Meredith frowned gently at her son, "Klause…"

Benny looked thoughtful, "Triplets? Is one of them named Chloe, by any chance?

Klause started, "Yeah, how'd you know?"

"Sebastion talks about her from time to time. The only girl he ever mentions, really." Benny shot Sebastion one of her mischievous smiles, snickering again as his frown returned.

Klause looked at Sebastion, surprised, "Don't waste your time. Believe me."

"It's none of your-" Sebastion's response cut off as a key rattled the back door. To the bewilderment of Meredith and Klause, their two hosts froze in shock, a non-too happy expression on their faces. Dismay clouded Sebastion's face as he turned to Klause, "You should go."

"What?" Klause sat still, gaping at him.

"Benny, sorry I'm late but I have-" The tall figure in the doorway halted as he realized there were four people in the kitchen, not just one or two. He was of medium height, with dark curly hair and a muscular build. He wore dark slacks and a long sleeved, button down shirt of a pale blue shade. A jacket hung over his arm, the exact color of his slate gray slacks. "Sebastion, Benny. What is this?"

"Nathan, it's fine. Just listen to me for a minute."

The man looked furious, his rage-twisted face quickly silencing the suddenly nervous Benny. "No Benny, it's not fine. I just finished giving a glowing report on Mr. Sebastion's behavior and I come back to this? Why do the two of you so delight in flaunting the rules." He turned his anger on Sebastion, "Haven't you learned anything at all, Mr. Sebastion? Hmmm? Or is this not enough for you."

"It's not like that, Nathan. If you would just listen to me." Sebastion sounded slightly desperate, though his face was as solemn as ever.

Klause noticed the fists at Sebastion's side, trembling slightly. He couldn't tell if it was anger or something else that made them shake. What the hell just happened? What's with psycho? "Umm, sir? We're sorry for the trouble, you see my mom's car broke down and…" Klause drifted into silence as that fierce glare confronted him.

"You'll excuse my interruption, but I quite frankly don't care what your supposed reasons are. I'll thank you both to leave this house immediately." Finished speaking, Nathan ignored the outraged cry from Meredith and the furious looks shot his way from Klause.

"Sebastion, I'll see you at school tomorrow." Klause looked pointedly at the boy standing next to him, but the dark-haired boy ignored him. Unhappy, Klause let his mother drag him from the room.

A sharp bang signaled their exit, followed by an extended silence. Benny shuffled in hesitation before bustling off, "Let me lock up Nathan, and we'll continue this discussion." Guests gone, she allowed her own anger to color her voice. Nathan's own furious expression cooled considerably, hearing that particular tone.

With Benny gone, the older man allowed his gaze to wander back toward the figure beside the island. Sebastion stood there, looking down at the remains of his pizza. "Mr. Sebastion, what the hell is going on? You know damned good and well you are not allowed to have guests. And last I checked Benny didn't just invite people over."

"I didn't invite anyone over, Nathan. I don't even like that guy, we barely see each other in school. If you had listened for one damned minute, we could have told you that he was only here to pick up his mother, whose car broke down not far from here. Thanks so much for you patience."

"Watch your tone. I may be just a servant, but as long as you live out here I have all the authority of your parents. Unless of course, you prefer I call them and let them handle the matter personally."

"I did nothing wrong, Nathan. Jesus, would you give me a break."

"It's your bedtime." Nathan turned away, draping his coat across one of the stools before helping himself to the contents of the coffee pot.

Sebastion collected the forgotten pizza and sodas, tossing both into the trashcan before storming out of the kitchen. The house nearly shook with the hard thumping of his steps as he took the stairs two at a time, followed by the slamming of his door.

"You're a dumb ass. Honestly, Nathan, a little tact every now and then wouldn't kill you. It's just like the boy said. Meredith's car broke down and she walked here when she realized people were actually living in this stupid house. Sebastion found us when he came down for a snack, and hung around to eat when Meredith's son came to pick her up. You tell me what's wrong with that, go ahead."

"Everything? You should've just kept her in the hall, and sent them both away the moment he got here."

"Oh, for crying out loud! The poor boy's been grounded. He's not in prison or disease ridden. One completely unexpected late night social hour with a couple of strangers isn't breaking any rules. You over-dramatize everything."

"Sebastion got himself in this situation. I was ordered to make sure he obeyed the rules to the letter. NO VISITORS is first on that list of restrictions as I recall."

Benny threw her hands up before stomping around, throwing away food and launching dishes into the sink on the opposite side of the kitchen. They landed roughly in stainless steel sink but somehow none wound up broken. "Yeah? Well, you can just park your "to the letter" ass on the couch tonight. How do you like that, hmm? I don't want to hear another word out of you until you apologize to every single person that was in this kitchen when you threw your little temper tantrum. You're an ass. Goodnight." With a last snort of contempt, Benny flicked the lights off and stomped across the hall to her bedroom. Nathan carefully set his own mug in the sink before stalking toward the same door Benny had just entered. Halfway across the hall he was stopped by a pillow hitting him full in the face, followed almost immediately by a blanket. "Dammit, Benny…"

"Dammit, Nathan." A firm click said everything, and with an angry sigh Nathan turned in the direction of the living room. Guess the news can wait `til morning. What the hell just happened… Kicking off his shoes and tossing his long-sleeved shirt aside, Nathan settled onto the long, leather couch in the living room. I don't get paid nearly enough to put up with Mr. Sebastion and Benny, nowhere near enough." Tired from his long drive and the brief explosion in the kitchen, Nathan fell almost instantly asleep.

Sebastion blinked furiously, willing away the stinging sensation in his eyes. Stupid Nathan. Stupid Parents. Stupid, stupid ME. Bah, it's not like it matters anyway. Three weeks and I'm sure it's back to the ninth level of hell. Unless I can prove I've been reformed here. Tonight's blown that to hell, damn Nathan anyway. I'm sure first thing tomorrow morning he's going to tell "Mr. and Mrs. Lord" all about my latest misbehavior. "It wasn't even my fault this time. Bah." Flicking off the ceiling light, Sebastion crossed his room with familiar ease, falling onto his bed as it sloshed and moved under him. As the waterbed finally settled, he flicked on the small lamp attached to the headboard. Reaching into his nightstand, Sebastion withdrew a piece of typing paper, worn from frequent handling.

Shifting the paper toward the light, Sebastion smiled sadly at the contents. It was a copy of an email, one of the last he'd received before his internet privileges had been revoked indefinitely.

To: sebastion@lordsfamily.com

From: mccleod@wolfacad.edu

Subject: So long, farewell?

Hey Rainbow!

Rumors are flying around that you've been expelled this time. Guess you finally got your wish, eh? Where are they sending you? Probably off to Never Land, after that last stunt. Even for us that was a bit much, I have to admit. But oh man, you should see Chris now. He doesn't even look at us anymore! We owe you big time for that, you've defeated him entirely. I wish you were here to gloat with us, but if you were here, that would mean the plan failed. Ah well.

Write back if you can, though knowing your parents I won't get a reply for a long, long time (assuming you even get to read this). Hope you find some sort of peace at your new school. I'll miss you.

Regan

Sebastion dropped his hand to let it lie on his chest, the paper to the bedspread. The other arm he tucked behind his head, and he allowed his eyes to drift shut as he lost himself in thought…

*~*~*

"You're the Lord problem child, aren't you." The redhead sitting in the stiff chair next to him managed to speak around the bruises adorning his face. Sebastion had to admire that, even if the guy was being rude.

"My name isn't problem child. But yes, I am."

The redhead managed a grin, despite the swelling bruises and traces of blood still on his face, "My mistake. Names Regan, you're…Sebastion?"

"…Yeah. A pleasure."

"Oh, definitely a pleasure. Always love to meet new people prior to being suspended. What are you in for, my new friend."

"…Disrespecting a teacher, I think. I'm not really sure if it was that or if they finally figured out what I did to the gym."

"Wow, that was you? You're kidding me, right? There's no way a Lord would do something like that, even the "problem child" that you're supposed to be." Regan looked impressed despite himself.

"Think what you like. What are you here for? Besides the obvious, of course. I assume the guy who did that is already in there?" Sebastion motioned toward the office.

"Yeah, he's in there. You know Mooreland, right? He's always giving my buddies and me hell. `Course, his family is a lot like yours." Regan attempted a smirk, but had to settle for a grimace when the effort made his face flare in pain again.

Sebastion had to offer a rueful smile, "Meaning , he'll get off because of his family name and money, right. I've seen your tiffs before though, come to think of it. Most people say it's because he…disagrees with your sexual preferences?"

"He's a homophobe, yeah. That's pretty much it. And while I have money, I lack your handy status. Hence the beautiful job he did on my face today. Typical teeny-bopper high-school angst drivel. I wouldn't mind, except it really, really hurts. My friends keep suggesting I stop provoking him, but it's so much fun I couldn't resist."

"What in the world did you do to provoke that? Your face is almost completely purple." Sebastion shook his head, mostly at himself. He never talked to anyone, really. His whole goal since entering the private school attended by his every male relative had been to leave it. That meant getting expelled, which he figured meant making enemies, not friends.

"Hee, you should see his face my friend. Today is Valentine's Day, no? And what better way to share the holiday with your best enemy that to profess your undying love and affection? I'm afraid he didn't quite see it that way, alas.

Sebastion could only gape at the young man seated next to him, a young man still trying to laugh and smile despite the obvious pain he was in. He blinked, not sure how to react. Not really able to help himself, Sebastion started laughing. "I can't believe…what made you…that's too much…you actually did that to Chris Mooreland?" Laughter fading, Sebastion offered Regan an honest smile, "I'm impressed. Nothing I've done can even hold a candle to that I would have loved to see his expression. But why didn't you just leave an anonymous note or whatever? Then you wouldn't be stuck in-"

Mr. Lord, what a surprise to see you here." The tone of voice indicated that the speaker was far from surprised. I'll attend to you in a moment, after I deal with Mr. McLeod here. The headmaster cast a dark look at the two young men, who only stared back, long used to the expression. "Mr. McLeod, come with me please."

Regan surreptiously winked at the slightly stocky figure exiting the office behind the headmaster, whose face was as riddled with blue and purple bruises as Regan's own. He smirked just bit as Chris ignored him. He rose to his feet, slowly trailing behind the stern headmaster. Great, another suspension, I just know it. Man, I'll be busted for life this time. Why, oh why do I insist on these stupid pranks…never mind, I don't like the answer to that question. He was jerked out of his thoughts and the sound of Sebastion's voice, "Regan, don't forget dinner tonight. I'll meet you after school by the pick up area."

The Headmaster raised his brow at the sudden statement, "Mr. McLeod, I was not aware you were friends with the Lords…"

"Really? I guess I never bothered to mention it. I'm mostly just buddies with Sebastion there, to be honest." Tossing a shameless grin at his new friend, Regan followed the Headmaster as he resumed walking. Huh, who would have thought there was a Lord that was actually tolerable…

Sebastion watched him go, wondering what in the hell he had just done. I thought I decided not to make friends…though I guess if I was going to have one, befriending the gay boy that's the mortal enemy of Chris Mooreland and his cronies isn't so bad…there may be a way toward expulsion in there somewhere…though I don't relish the thought of getting the living shit beat out of me.

*~*~*

Benny smiled and shook her head, staring down at the figure long since passed out on his bed. Gingerly she pulled the blankets around him. Shifting to turn off the light, she felt something under her feet. Stooping, she retrieved the piece of paper she'd trodden upon. Skimming the contents briefly, she sighed. Setting the paper on the nightstand, Benny clicked off the light and softly crossed the room. The door closed with a soft click behind her.

Carefully she walked down the stairs, peeking into the living room. For a moment she felt vaguely guilty, but the image of the boy upstairs and the paper she'd found on the floor rekindled her anger. Hmph, he can stay there. I was dead serious about that couch and apologizing. "Good night, Nathan." She murmured softly to the sleeping figure on the couch, who's only answer was a soft snore.