Fan Fiction ❯ Rainbow ❯ Chapter Three - Guests ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Rainbow

Chapter Three

Klause frowned, lost in thought. He stared blindly out the window, his chin resting in the palm of his right hand, arm propped on his desk. His left hand tapped out a mindless rhythm on his thigh. He was slouched over his desk, his long legs stretching across the narrow path between the rows of desks. A displeased cough interrupted his thoughts, and he looked briefly up at the teacher glaring down at him.

"Do you mind, Mr. Friedman? Must I keep reminding you that feet belong under desks, not in the aisle?" The severe expression on the teachers' face was ruined by the fact that he looked like he belonged more in an ice cream shop than teaching a trigonometry class.

Too bad looks can be deceiving, the bastard. Klause grinned. "Sorry Mr. Polycarp. Honest, it won't happen again."

"Hmm." Rather than continue on his circuit of the classroom, the teacher stayed where he was, keeping his gaze on the unrepentant youth in front of him. The pen he carried to point at students and board alike, he aimed at the rainbow-tinted head beaming up at him. "Well, since you seem to have been paying such close attention," his frown turned into one of the sly smirks that teachers always seem to have. "Perhaps you can summarize for the class what we've been discussing?"

Klause glanced at whiteboard, then shook his head. Returning his attention to the teacher in front of him, "Not a clue. Sorry."

The teacher didn't even bother to be sly. His smirk was more an evil grin, "Well then, Mr. Friedman. As you're having so much trouble with this class, you had best arrange to stay after for extra help. Don't you agree?"

Klause's grin faded, but piercing chimes interrupted what he was about to say and the teacher strolled back to the front of the classroom. Not even bothering to move, Klause sulked at his desk while the classroom emptied. Dammit, I didn't even do anything, sort of. Why does this ass see fit to single me out? I could hear Robby snoring all the way over hear, but he's not in trouble.

"Mr. Polycarp? Could I bother you for a couple of minutes?"

Klause' thoughts broke off as the voice penetrated, and he looked up as he placed its owner. Funny how I never really noticed him this entire year. He's cute, even if he does seem to frown all the time. Too bad he likes Chloe. I'll never understand straight guys. Klause watched idly as Sebastion spoke with the teacher from hell like it was a pleasure. Hn, guess it takes all kinds.

"Wait here one moment, Sebastion. I need to speak with another teacher for one moment. Do me a favor and make sure that Mr. Friedman does not leave his seat. Excuse me." The teacher departed with clipped steps, the door swinging shut behind him with a dull bang.

"Hey, Library Boy. I didn't figure you for the kiss ass type." Klause smiled playfully at Sebastion. "Then again, maybe that's why you're always in the library?"

"Bah. What would you know?" Asked Sebastion from his position in the front of the room.

"Not much, hence the attempt at conversation. You didn't get in too much trouble last night, did you? I'm sorry my mom and I caused you such problems."

Sebastion looked briefly startled at the abrupt shift in conversation, but waved a hand in the air, "Don't worry about it. You couldn't have known. Nathan wasn't supposed to be back until today."

"Nathan, huh? I felt sure his name was "Lucifer" or "Satan," or something like that. What was that all about, if you don't mind my asking?" Klause asked, wondering yet again how he could have ignored the other boy for an entire school year. He's so serious. Does the boy ever really smile?

Sebastion hesitated, and then shrugged. "I'm not allowed to have visitors. Nathan jumped to conclusions, is all. Benny straightened things out."

No visitors? What the hell kind of rule is that? Is he a druggie or something? He's got to be pulling my leg. His confusion must have shown on his face, because Sebastion tensed up even more, "Look, I'm sorry Nathan yelled at you. Benny sends her apologies as well, and says that she hopes you got your car back alright." He turned away, obviously deciding not to wait around for the teacher.

Klause called out to the retreating figure, "Hey, where are you going? You can't leave me here alone with Polycarp, you said yourself the man hates me. I wasn't trying to offend you, c'mon." Klause used the smile he always gave his mother when he got home after curfew. He kept a triumphant smirk from his face when he saw the indecision that flickered briefly across Sebastion's face. "Here, have a seat. Polycarp's busy trying to score a date with Robison. He'll be awhile."

This time Sebastion let the surprise show on his face, "That's crazy." Slowly the frowning boy wandered toward the back of the room, perching cautiously in the seat across from Klause.

"What do you need to see ol' Poly for anyway?" Klause attempted to keep the conversation up.

"My last test."

"Oh-Why, did he mark something wrong?" Klause resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"No, it was something else." Sebastion's voice was flat.

Klause frowned at him, "Sheesh, sorry."

"Bah. It doesn't matter. Just tell Mr. Polycarp that I'll speak with him tomorrow, could you? I have to go," with that Sebastion rose, exiting the classroom before Klause could move to stop him. What the hell? Man, he's as crazy as that guy from last night. I wasn't even rude this time. Forget it, I've got enough to deal with. I don't need to add a nutcase like that to my pile, even if he is cute - in a grumpy sort of way.

Klause sat restlessly for a while, humming tunelessly and wishing there was actually homework to do. But with only one more day of school left, what was the point? And only bastard Polycarp would give me detention this close to the end of school. Honestly, he's the only one still trying to teach, the moron. Restlessly he looked up at the clock-his eyes widened as he realized thirty minutes had already passed. Screw it, I've been here long e-fucking-nough. If he wants to hit on Robison all day, fine. But I'm not sitting here while he does. Decision made, Klause hefted his worn book bag over his right shoulder. Striding up to the front of the room he scrawled a message in neat cursive across the white board, "Stayed for 30, had to go. Klause." Satisfied, he took a quick peek out the door to verify it was empty. Seeing no one, he turned left and walked briskly down the hall, turning left again at the end to hit the main hall and toward the front door.

He breathed a sigh of relief as he finally exited the building and found the courtyard clear of familiar faces. Guess the triplets had better things to do today. Just as well, I really didn't feel like dealing with them today.

Klause stumbled to a halt as he reached the student parking lot, smacking his hand to his forehead. "Dammit! I keep forgetting I don't have the car today."

"Do you need a ride?"

"What the hell!" Klause jumped, spinning around to confront the speaker, "Man, don't do that to me! Oh! You're…ah…Nathan, right?" He was dressed somewhat more casually than the night before, in black slacks and a burnt orange polo. His hair was much more curly, as if he'd left it alone rather than try to tame it. If I were into older men, he'd probably be hot. But then, Satan is usually portrayed as good looking.

"Yes, I am Nathan Lane. I work for Mr. Sebastion's father."

"Oh. Did you need something?"

"Yes, actually. I wanted to apologize to you and your mother for my behavior last night. It was inexcusable." Nathan offered a sheepish smile, completely at odds with his anger of the night before. "I am afraid that in my concern for Mr. Sebastion, my temper got the better of me. I am sorry for treating you and your mother so poorly."

Klause resisted the urge to shake his head - the guy was strange. The guy sounded like a servant from a bad movie. And why does he keep calling Sebastion "Mister?" "Hey man, don't worry about it. I'm sorry if our being there got any one in trouble."

"There is nothing to be sorry for. Now back to my original question - could I give you a ride somewhere?"

Klause smiled politely back. "Oh no, don't worry about it. My home isn't far, I'll be fine."

"You may as well permit me - I still need to apologize to your mother. I was going to seek you out at your house, but I came to pick up Mr. Sebastion and saw you standing here."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. As I said, I am headed there now."

"Okay then. Thanks." Klause followed Nathan as he turned to head back to his vehicle, which turned out to be a dark blue, luxury SUV. Nathan reached the vehicle first, opening the back door on the driver's side. Klause mumbled a "Thanks" as he climbed inside, Nathan shutting the door behind him.

Sebastion was up front in the passenger seat reading what looked like a novel. He paused to look back at Klause, "What are you doing here?"

"I offered him a ride, 'Bastion. I still need to speak with his mother. You should have offered him one yourself, seeing as his car is in need of repair." Nathan settled into the driver's seat.

Sebastion frowned at Nathan. "It didn't occur to me."

Klause laughed, "There's no reason it should have. Hey, you didn't happen to see the Triplets, did you Sebastion?"

"They left with Mitchell - the entire courtyard could hear them squealing about their plans for the amusement park this weekend." Sebastion rolled his eyes.

"Mitch took them home? Amusement park? Oh yeah, that. Damn, I'd forgotten all about it. I think I'm supposed to go with them." Klause made a face and sighed, looking out the window.

Sebastion looked as if he wanted to say something, but instead he simply turned back to his book. A few minutes later Nathan announced their arrival, pulling into the narrow driveway alongside Klause's house.

"The car isn't here. I guess she's still getting it fixed." He turned to Nathan and Sebastion. "I'm sure she'll be back soon, if you guys want to wait?"

Sebastion only stood silently. Nathan hesitated but then said, "I would appreciate it, if you're sure we're not imposing. If I go back without having apologized, Benny will kill me."

Klause laughed as he reached the front door. Twisting his book bag around so he could reach the outermost pocket, he fished around for his keys. Locating them, he slid the key in and unlocked the door. "Come on in. Mom should be home soon." The three stepped into the dark house, and Klause flipped the light switch.

The front door opened immediately into a small living room, which was filled with worn but durable furniture. The carpet, chair and couch were dark green, with yellow pillows and various knickknacks adding splashes of color. A TV rest on a stand against left wall, with a few videotapes piled beside it.

"Would you like anything to drink? Eat?" Klause dropped his book bag by the couch.

Nathan shook his head, "No, thank you. I am fine."

Sebastion merely crossed to the bar that separated the kitchen and living room. Taking a seat at one of the barstools, he resumed his reading.

Klause just looked at him. Making his own way to the kitchen, he opened the fridge and grabbed a can of soda. Hesitating, he finally made a beeline for the TV, racking his brain for something to talk about.

The doorbell rang, and Klause was torn between being grateful at something to distract him from the awkward silence and annoyance at having to deal with an unwanted guest. I wasn't expecting anyone today, maybe it's just someone for mom. Reaching the door, he peered through the peephole. Dammit, of all times. This is about the amusement park, I bet. Man, I don't want to deal with this right now.

Opening the door, Klause smiled brightly at the girls he'd dubbed the Triplets, "Hello girls, how's life?"

"Klause! You're home! We looked for you after school, but you never showed." Margot frowned teasingly up at him, her red curls bright in the afternoon sunlight.

Chloe pouted, "Yeah, where were you?"

"Ladies, give me a break. It's not like I could give you a ride home anyway."

"We know. It's just that we wanted to talk to you about this weekend." Sara's voice was level, though she too looked upset that Klause had not been waiting for them after school. "Whose car is in the driveway, Klause? I don't recognize it."

"Sebastion gave me a ride home - you remember him, right?"

Chloe wrinkled her nose, "You mean the geek, right? How'd you meet up with him?"

"Be nice, Blondie. Look, why don't you lovelies come back later, okay? I'm kind of busy with guests right now."

"Ah, c'mon. What's three more? We wanted to talk about Saturday. You remember, right? We're going there for Chloe's birthday."

Klause repressed a grimace, "Um…well, I dunno. My mom's car is busted, and she's going to need mine to get to work over the weekend."

"Oh, that's okay. Daddy said we could use his car, since the drive is so long and it's my birthday." Chloe preened, Klause rubbed his hand across his face. I'm really not in the mood for this today.

"Look, I told you. I have guests. You really need to come back later."

"Nonsense, we'll just be more guests." Sara stepped forward and slid smoothly by Klause. Groaning in defeat, Klause stepped aside to let the other two in.

"Triplets, this is Mr. Lane. You know Sebastion. Mr. Lane, these three are--"

"My name is Chloe Bradshaw. These are my friends Margot Stephenson, and Sara Zhou."

Nathan smiled politely at the three girls, who immediately flocked to him. Klause stood nearby a moment, shocked. Slowly at first, then more quickly, he backed away. Making haste for the bar, he grabbed a seat beside Sebastion.

"So, umm…tell me, Sebastion…" Klause waited until the other boy looked up, "Is Nathan gay?"

"What? Don't be ridiculous, he's engaged to Benny."

"Oh, okay. I just wondered, because that," he pointed to the cluster at the opposite side of the room, "Would be the first time they've flirted with a straight guy."

Sebastion blinked at him, them turned to look at the girls and Nathan. He looked back at Klause, and smirked. "Nathan does that a lot. That's why my dad hired him…he's not always as nuts as he was last night."

"Mr. Congenial when it suites him, eh? What exactly does he do anyway?"

"Everything, really." Sebastion shrugged.

"Oh. That doesn't really explain any--"

The ringing of a cell phone interrupted Klause's sentence. He watched as Nathan pulled the phone from his pocket. The girls fell silent as he hit the receive button and held the phone to his ear.

Klause moved to ask who was calling, but a frown from Sebastion kept him silent.

Nathan was speaking briefly and rapidly to whomever was on the other end of the conversation, "Sir? Yes, sir. No, he's not here. Running errands, Sir. No, Sir. I'd prefer not to say right now, given my location. Of course, at once, Sir."

Closing the connection, Nathan folded his phone and slipped it back into his pocket. He looked over at Sebastion, "Mr. Sebastion, we should be going. Mr. Friedman, I am sorry but we must depart. Please convey m apologies to your mother, and I will do so myself at a later date. Ladies, it was a pleasure meeting you."

Sebastion slid from his seat, offering a brief "goodbye" before he followed Nathan out the door. Klause called after him, but Sebastion either ignored him or didn't hear him. Again he ignored me, man why do I even bother. And now I have the Triplets to deal with…

"Klause, what was Sebastion doing here? When did you start hanging out with him?" Chloe perched in the seat so recently vacated by Sebastion, and waited for an answer. Sara and Margot gathered around her.

I wonder if they're physically capable of separating. Must be awkward when they have to go home at night. "I told you this morning about my mom's car and all. Weren't you listening?"

"Well, yeah. But why was he at your house? Don't tell me you're trying to hit on him?" Margot looked horrified and fascinated at the same time. "Since when did you start dating geeks?"

Klause laughed, "Who are you, my mother? What's wrong with "geeks?" C'mon Margot - you really should listen. I told you when you insisted on coming inside that he gave me a ride home. Nathan wanted to talk to my mother, so they were waiting around. I'm not hitting on him. Why don't the three of you like him, anyway?"

"He's weird. He started going to school here this year, but he never speaks unless he has to, he never does anything or goes anywhere. He just types all day on that laptop of his, and spends every spare moment in the library. What does he need a laptop for anyway?" Sara wrinkled her nose.

"Yeah, it's like he's showing off or something. Early on everyone tried to make friends with him, but he just blew them all off. No one knows anything about him; he's always alone. No friends, never met his family in town." Margot shrugged, a bored look on her face. "He's handsome, I guess. For a geek."

"I don't want to talk about him. Klause, are going to the amusement park with us or not?"

"Not."

"Why not? C'mon Klause, don't get moody now! You said last month and just last week that you would go with us."

Note to self: learn to keep mouth shut. "Look, I'm sorry. I just don't feel like going, okay? My summer job starts Monday. I really want to just relax this weekend, chill a bit before the slave labor begins. Amusement parks just really aren't my idea of relaxation. They're too crowded, and with you three around I never get a chance for some action. You scare off every gay man in a ten mile radius."

Klause smiled at them, "C'mon, Chloe. I'll buy you an amazing birthday present once I start getting paid, okay? Forgive me, pretty please?"

Chloe's frown wavered, until finally she relented and returned his smile. "Alright, but it had better be amazing."

"Don't worry, it will be. Now, would you ladies please leave me in peace? I need to start on my chores and all before my mom gets home."

"Okay, okay. We know when we're not wanted." Sara grabbed her companions' hands and the three departed amidst goodbyes and assurances that Klause was making a mistake about not going with them that weekend.

Closing the door firmly behind them, Klause turned and threw himself onto the couch. Like mom ever lets the house get messy enough for me to have chores to do. Should probably cut the grass this weekend, though. May as well do my own yard before I start doing everyone else's. That reminds me…Reaching an arm over the side of the couch, Klause pulled out a small appointment book. Flipping it open, he started to look at his schedule of yard work for the week after school ended, but a pen tumbled from the pages, distracting him. The pen was expensive looking, sleek, black and heavy. Towards the bottom of it, the letters "SL" were scrawled in gold. Looks like real gold too - who the hell uses real gold on a pen for crying out loud?

He could think of only one person, not least of all because he'd found it in the library yesterday as he and the Triplets were leaving. But Sebastion's last name is Gare, or Grare or something like that. Maybe I'm just crazy. Guess I'll return it to him tomorrow, if I see him. I could always take it to his house, I suppose. Man, I'll bet this thing costs as much as one or two of my paychecks. He laughed aloud at that thought. He certainly doesn't act like a spoiled, rich brat. Just a normal brat. Was he serious about that no visitors crap? That's what Nathan was screaming about last night. Even I've never been grounded that severely, I wonder what the hell he did.

His thoughts broke off as the phone rang. Reaching behind him, Klause grabbed the phone from the side table, hitting the on button. "Friedman residence."

"Hey, sexy."

Klause sighed, "Hello, Mitch. The answer's no."

"Won't you at least wait for the question?" The smooth voice sounded both amused and annoyed.

"Why bother? You're either going to ask me to drive into the city with you tomorrow, or you're going to yell at me for bailing on the amusement park this weekend."

"…Both, actually."

"Well then, no and no."

"Why not? You haven't been out to the clubs for a couple of weeks now."

"Because I'm tired of them, that's why. Can't a guy get a break once in awhile."

"Two weeks is a break, last I checked. C'mon, we could have fun…" Mitch's tone was persuasive, but his target remained unaffected.

"Yeah, except there's the whole "we broke up" thing. You seem to keep forgetting that." Klause frowned into the phone.

"That was your idea, not mine. If you're not going to go clubbing, at least come with us this weekend. It's really not fair of you to abandon me to the Triplets, especially seeing as they really only want me around because of you. You should come, we can sneak away from the girls and enjoy the amusement park our own way."

"What part of "we broke up" don't you understand? Yeah it was my idea, and I still think it was a good one." Klause was quickly going from annoyed to angry. "You're the one who suggested we do the whole relationship thing, then I turn my back for a few days to help my mom out and there you are - fucking anything willing. Of course, that's in addition to the fact that you never would admit we were dating. I tried and you failed. Don't try to blame me for anything, Mitch."

"I said I was sorry. I tried to explain-"

Klause hung up. Asshole, what was he thinking. I should have known from the start - the closet cases are always the worst ones. I didn't out myself to the entire town just so I could go back into hiding. It really is too bad, I could use some of his "fun" right now…

The phone rang again. Klause cursed and picked it up again. "I already told you--"

"Klause?"

"Huh? Oh, Leo. Sorry, I thought you were someone else."

"That would explain the hostility. But look man, I have some schedule changes for next week. Mr. Landon changed his vacation time, so we won't have to start on his yard until the week after next. Plus, this new guy came by the office today. You'll never believe what he's hired us to do, or for how much. It's freakin' nuts, man."

"Oh? Spill it."

"Do you know that ugly house a few miles out past the high school?" Leo's ever excited voiced had reached new levels.

Klause's eyes widened, "You're kidding me. We're doing work on that monstrosity?"

"Yeah man, the whole shebang. Pool, yard, some maintenance on the house…this guy came in, asked about all kinds of things. 'Could we do this, did we do that,' man he was tossing money around like there was no tomorrow. He didn't really say, but I get the feeling he wants it spruced up for some big shindig or something. So that's what we're doing next week, since Landon cancelled that time. What's so funny?"

Klause gasped for breath, forcing himself to stop laughing. "Nothing, Leo. Life is funny sometimes, that's all. Sounds awesome, especially the money. What time should I show on Monday?"

"Bright and early, we should get to the hard stuff before the sun gets to us. Make it about seven or so."

"Sure thing, Leo. Talk to you later."

"Later, kid." Klause turned the phone off, and started laughing all over again. A whole weekend with nothing to do, thanks solely to me; the Triplets are still upset with me, seeing as they called my ex, who is still bent on getting me back to fuckable status, and now I get to spend an entire week sprucing up library boy's house and grounds. Ah, what a beautiful life.