Fan Fiction ❯ Road to Somewhere ❯ Late Night Read ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Okay, this is my first LOTR fic. Yay! Anywho, I hope ppl enjoy this. Please refrain from flaming, cuz it won’t get noticed since I only write this stuff mainly for my own enjoyment.

Author: Selece
Genre: Action Adventure/Romance
Pairing: Legolas/OC
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: Violence, language
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the LOTR characters, but I do own Hinageshi, Minaki. This is not for profit. Please don’t sue me, I have no money.
Summary: Hinageshi finds herself in Middle Earth with no way home. In her attempt to return to her lonely world, she finds a better one along the way.

Author's Notes:

As of now, the story is mainly focused on Minaki (Hinageshi), but that will hopefully take a turn soon. I've come to realize that everybody who reads this story automatically labels my character as a Mary-Sue. That's cool though. I'll just have to live with it.

Just please understand that she is a main character to a manga, so technically this story is a crossover. I've already made a few changes that make her OOC, so I'll probably leave in the rest. Her character is based more on a Sci-fi perspective rather than the average, everyday human in the real world. NO magic is envolved in her persona. She revolves more around a dark theme with technology/military. So no magic on her(Sorry magic lovers. ^^;). Please bare with me on this one, I think i've chosen a difficult story to portray since i'm mixing futuristic and medieval/ancient together. It's gonna be a toughy, lol.

To Meg Ishiro:
THANK YOU so much for the review! I was practically crying tears of joy, lol. I'm the same way when I see asian characters in a story. They're becoming so rare. >.< Anywho, I know that Legolas never uses the term in the book. >.< I'll try to refrain from using milady, but do understand that Tolkien does use the word Lady before female names, mainly with the elves. Besides, the term coincides with actual medieval lingo and other fictions that incorporate elves. So I use it too. lol. sorry for following the "band wagon". I'm just a sucker when it comes to that stuff. lol. Thanks again for the review! Much appreciated!

To Jayn:
Yay! I'm so glad you got to read Ch. 5! I thought you might be leaving Friday(today), so I was working hard ta get it finished. lol. I'll do my best to try and get another chapter out. Hopefully, my local cable company won't cut off the internet again. It was out for almost 16 hours!!!


“” spoken words
‘’ thoughts

Road to Somewhere ~ Chapter 1 -~~-


It is always like this. Every night she creeps about the city. For one with such a dark personality, it is not surprising to find her trailing about in the dead of night. She has a strange habit of lurking around in the dark.

Her tall, slim body flows with heavy black clothing, as the wind kicks up her long coat and ankle length, black hair. A black cap covers her facial features making her entire body blend in with the night, any late night wanderers are not likely to find her figure strolling about the city sidewalk.

With silence on her side, she paces towards the city public library, her lips purse together with determination. All hopes of finding some type of entertainment for tonight set in her mind.

‘Another day without trouble. If things keep going like this, I’ll be out of a job and stuck with more leisure time.’ She sighs.

Every building throughout the city is already closed down for the night. Knowing this, she phases to the right of the three story building, admiring its red brick walls and aged appearance. Along the side, an old fire escape rusts away, waiting for its time of use.
This is not her first time breaking and entering the old building. Steadying herself, she makes for the drop down ladder.

Most would assume that it would come screaming down from its lack of use, but she became aware of this, unfortunately, from her first attempt a couple of months back creating a bit of a ruckus.

Quickly, she climbs up the old, metal ladder reaching the stairs and slowly makes her way to the roof top. All of the story windows were off limits due to the alarms planted on them. The building staff obviously never thought to place alarms on the rooftop. She was able to loosen one of the windows to gain easy entry.

Upon reaching her destination, she makes her way over to the window, and pops it open. Dropping down onto the top floor, she begins her quest for tonight’s entertainment.

Her eyes scan the room basking in its glory. The room itself is amazing. It is all one wide open space. Shelves line the walls stuffed with books. Sliding ladders create access to each floor, and hand carved rails trail across the upper levels’ edges.

“Such remarkable beauty,” she sighs, walking across the floor and slowly removing her gloves and stuffing them inside her pant pocket. Arms reaching out, her long, graceful fingers glide across the spines of old books, the unique smells wafting throughout the building filling her senses. Strolling through Natural Sciences and straight to Fiction, she scans the novels of fantasy and science fiction coming across a section of books she has not seen for years. The books of J. R. R. Tolkien.

“I haven’t seen these books since gramps died–,” she whispers, eyes glued to the shelf in sadness.

In the center of these select novels, she spots a massive book containing her favorite trilogy. ‘The Lord of the Rings! ‘With much anticipation, she grabs onto the thick, hardcover book. As it easily slips out of the book case, two tiny strands of light shoot out of the pages towards the ground, disappearing on contact.

Caught up in her excitement, she fails to notice the unusual event. She tightly tucks the book underneath her right arm and proceeds to the librarian’s desk at the center of the ground floor. Grasping the side rail of the ladder, she promptly slides down, making a graceful stop at the bottom. She creeps over to the desk finding random materials cluttering it. In frustration she begins to rummage around in search of the check-out book and stamp. Upon finding it, she happens upon a small desk sign. Big, bold capital letters spell out ‘BERT’.

Her face crinkles, ‘what a name, Bert. I guess the old librarian retired. Well Bert, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m taking this home with me,’ she confirms, flipping through the book, locating the most recent check-outs. Pulling open the top desk draw, she snatches up a pen, and signs in the book title, author, number, but chose to leave the name section blank. Grabbing the stamp, she tags the small card tab in the inside cover of the book and stamps her section in the check-out book.

Satisfied with her findings, she reaches for her gloves and refits them. Gloves on and book in hand, she walks back to the ladder and climbs up to the top floor, done with her midnight withdrawal.

She starts to return to her point of entry. Scanning the area, she notices a shelf near her exit window and grips onto the shelves, trying to keep weight balance. Leaping up, she latches onto the window and swings herself back to the top and quickly closes it. Walking hastily, she races home, anticipation filling her. With a quick turn at the street corner, she strides off into the night.

----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

Upon entering the worn apartment building, she steals up the stairs, trying not to disturb her neighbors. Reaching the fourth floor of the six story building, she pushes open the stubborn door of her rundown apartment.

Immediately, she walks to the bedroom, and rests the book on her night stand next to her comfy leather chair. She sighs and walks over to the dresser, pulling out her undergarments and a long black shirt with the words ‘worship or die’ on the front and ‘just kidding’ on the back. One of her not so appealing presents from an adoring teenage friend. Sighing, she heads for the bathroom to wash up.

After finishing a relaxing bath and spending an hour and a half blow drying her long hair, she grabs a black travel bag from her closet.

Earlier that day, she received a phone call from Amy, an old friend, who requested she leave America for a while and return to her home back in Japan. Reluctantly, she accepted and is scheduled to leave tomorrow by plane.

She sighs, ‘Gotta be ready for tomorrow. I can’t believe I’m actually going on a vacation with Amy. I’ve never had a real break before, Guess it’s time I had one.’ She begins to stuff clothing, bath supplies and other articles. Stopping short, she eyes a case under the bed.
‘I know I shouldn’t take my weapons collection with me. Besides, “You never know what might happen...After all, it is Japan.” Hastily, she picks up the heavy article and straps it in with the bag.

Satisfied with what she packed, she drops it all next to the chair, along with a plane ticket she pulls out of her inside coat pocket. Plopping down into the soft leather, her body further enters a relaxed state. Once assured of her comfort, she directly snatches the book, and flips open the first page–a flash of light shoots out once again, but this time in a larger quantity and takes her completely by surprise. Her reflex reaction causes her to drop the book, and before it can hit the ground, strings of silver light jump out and wrap around her body dragging her towards the book. Caught off guard, she goes sprawling into the floor. “What the--!?” She gasps, but is cut off by the sudden light flooding the entire room.

Just as quickly as it came, it left taking her with it. The area she had occupied left empty along with the bag, the chair and her night stand.

Only the soft fluttering of her plane ticket is heard as it floats to the floor…