Fan Fiction ❯ Sea Salts to Heal ❯ Smoke ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own KH. I don't even own a COPY of the game...I must steal my cousins. from cousin as he reads over shoulder

A/N: I warn you in advance. I think this chapter is horrible. I re-did it like eighteen times...and I'm still not satisfied. My muse is gone...it just would NOT flow..sorry about that...I hope its not toooo horrible..hehe..hehhe Runs from cousin AND angry readers.

Now, my reader, read on!

________________________________________________________________________ ______

The news about the four young arrivals spread fast among the people of Traverse. Truth soon spread into innocent rumors, innocent rumors soon spread into not-so-innocent lies. Whatever version of the story one might have heard, a vast crowd had gathered around the front and back entrance of the hotel. Yuffie and Leon stood on a platform high above the shouting people, raising their voices and trying to calm the riot that had broken out. Aerith stood in the back balcony, taking care of a much calmer crowd and gently explaining the situation.

The four teens had arrived unexpectedly, she explained. Although the connection between the worlds had been broken, they had still come through the world door. However, this did not mean that there should be cause for any panic, as they had communicated with a few experts, and it was confirmed that although the balance had been slightly disturbed, the doors were still locked. She told them that one of the arrivals had been Sora, that the rest were completely safe and harmless. The four of them were asleep inside the hotel, and there was no reason for anyone to get upset. Satisfied, but still extremely curious, the back crowd dispersed.

Aerith sunk to her knees, leaning on the balcony for support. Cloud Strife was there in less than a second from where he had been staying indoors, as he himself had caused a commotion on first arriving. The blond man, perhaps in his middle twenties, bent down beside the gasping Flower Girl and pulled her into his arms. Blue eyes watched her sadly, his lips placing a gentle kiss on her hair, calming her somewhat.

"I don't know how long they'll stay this calm." She whispered. "I just don't."

"They won't stay calm." He rubbed her back. "They're people and people act like that."

She pressed her face into his warm shoulder, giggling weakly. He smiled, tucking her further under his chin, and lifting her legs as he carried her inside. She snuggled into the blankets as soon as she hit the bed, and he smiled gently down at her, amazed and adoring of the fact that something as simple as speaking to a crowd could tire her. He hesitated, watching her with eyes filled with regret, before turning to move towards the door. A cold, gentle hand touched his wrist.

"Don't go." She whispered sadly.
He closed his eyes, moving on to the bed to settle down beside her. His arms tucked securely around her waist. He watched her until her breathing evened out, his heart pounding against his chest, his body trembling slightly. He didn't deserve to hold her like this. He made a move to get up, and she stirred, twisting to face him and burying her face into his shoulder. He stilled, seeing she was still asleep, and pulled her closer to his body, taking comfort in her warmth. A single tear slipped down his cheek.

"I won't," He whispered to her. "I won't go…ever again."
...............
"Yuffie! Leon! Shut up!"

Eyes so dark and rich in colour that they were almost identical blinked in shock. Eyes of a completely different shade blinked as well. Aerith hardly ever raised her voice unless the situation was to a certain extreme. And since the two tenants of the Green Room argued so frequently, it didn't seem too much of a situation resulting in stress. However, the tall girl was tense, sweat dripping from her forehead. Yuffie blinked in sudden concern. How could four teenagers, only sleeping, tire their healer so?

"Aerith?" Cloud broke the silence, his quiet voice unsettled.

The girl closed her eyes, running a hand through her hair. Yuffie made a small noise in her throat, moving away from the Gunblade master and settling on the end of the bed. Leon eyed the Flower girl shrewdly before moving to his usual spot against the door. The room rang with silence. Aerith nodded her thanks and knelt down beside Sora's tanned figure. Cloud eyed his love, watching as her petite fists clenched and unclenched.

The room was filled with dread. It was full of light and colorful decor; the laughter from the town continued to echo from the outdoors. Yuffie was smiling and Leon was grumbling. Everything seemed light and in place. But the four desolate figures stretched across the soft coverlet of the bed countered all the happiness the room created. From each of them Cloud could sense darkness, radiating off of them like a stench. It swirled around them, making the air as thick as smoke. It pulled him in; he knew Leon felt it too. Yuffie's omnipresent dimple was gone; Aerith's light was drained as quickly as it came. It was enough to make him feel sick. And it did.

"Sorry," She whispered. "I just really need to be alone right now."

"But we can help you–." Yuffie insisted, jumping up. "If you're tired–."

Warm and calloused fingers closed over her wrist. Squall's eyes were blank and emotionless, as always, as they settled on her face. His mouth was set in a grim line as he pulled her towards the door without a word. The warmth from his smile just a day before was gone, the sparkle in his eye had vanished. This wasn't Squall. This was Leon. And once again, she was a burden, a thorn. Someone he was being forced to babysit. Her entire body swelled with fury, only allowing a few mumbles to escape from her mouth as she insistently tried to break from his grasp. He turned to her as soon as the door was shut behind them, allowing her to rip her arm from him.
"Why do you have to treat me like a child all the time?" She hissed, rubbing her wrist.

"I will as long as you insist on acting like one." He replied cooly, turning his blunt gaze from the wooden door they had just exited, to her face. He could see from the look in her eyes that he had hurt her and a flicker of regret fired in his stomach. Then the hurt vanished, replaced by a glaring fire, and that flicker was gone.

"I was just trying to help!" She growled.

"Aerith can take care of herself." He replied. "And she asked you to leave. If you were a true friend, you would have listened to her request without question."

She snorted. He stepped quickly to the side as she moved forward, shoving him in the shoulder with her own. He blinked at her retreating back, bemused as to her uncharacteristic anger. A tantrum in which she had no final comment? Amusement bubbled in his chest.

"I don't need a speech about friendship from you of all people, Squall Leonhart."

The words floated down the hall, rebuilding an invisible wall that had only been torn down the day before. His heart twisted painfully in his chest. His Ninja's eyes were cold, proving to him that she meant every harsh word she had said. Yuffie watched as his mouth tightened, eyes darkening. She tensed, preparing herself for a fight.
............

Back in the Green Room, Cloud hesitated. Aerith was a pleasant bundle as his arms pulled her to his chest; he could feel how tired she really was. His hands, warm and soft, reached out to touch her chin. He kept his movements soft and gentle as he kissed her, skin simply brushing skin. He drifted his lips across her cheeks, over her eyes, to the hair he loved so much and finally back to her lips. The deep hole in his chest was finally being filled. When he pulled back, her eyes were still closed. When she finally managed to flutter them open, his mouth twitched to the side. She bit her lip to keep from smiling.

"Cloud Strife," She said in mock outrage. "How dare you take advantage of me so!"

He grinned. "My apologies, M'lady." He tapped her nose, leaning his face close to hers again.

"Well. What a lovely sight to behold."

The one-winged angel blinked, pulling his face back. He knew that voice. Aerith jumped to her feet in shock, cheeks tinged pink. Blue eyes watched them in amusement.

"Sora?!"
...............
Footsteps touched the ground. Soundless. He could see from the way her head was bent and the way she breathed that she was asleep. His lips twitched at the thought; Yuffie was probably the only one anywhere who could fall asleep with a light shining in her face. Although, the Traverse Town Library did have a certain calming aura, with its tall bookcases and furniture all covered in dust. Only he knew that this was Yuffie's special place, an abandoned Library they had found spontaneously behind an old wooden door one day while fighting Heartless. It was where she came to be alone, he knew, although she had told him many times that she hated being alone.

He stopped his quiet pacing when he came to her chair. Her head rested on arms, bent over the old pages of a very old-looking book. Peeking over her shoulder, he caught a brief description of what she had been reading. A book of adventure....about pirates? So...she really did long for adventure again. She didn't want to stay in Traverse forever. What could the small town possibly offer her? Her best friend was here, he supposed, although Cloud was too busy with Aerith to offer Yuffie much attention. Still, he remembered the tears she so rarely shed the day that Cloud had returned. Did she long to be with Cloud and Aerith and the others again?

'Stop it.' He scowled. 'This won't get you anywhere. Its none of your business."

His attention was brought away from his troubled thoughts as she stirred. She let out a long breath through parted lips as she moved, stretching out one arm and turning to rest on it so he could see her face. Dark lashes were fanned over her tanned skin; hair falling into her face. She really did look like a child while she slept, although it wasn't exactly as negatively thought as a few minutes before. Reaching out, he brushed her face with his finger tips.

The angry and hurtful words they had exchanged a few minutes before hung in the air. He watched them pass with lament, wincing despite himself at the idea of hurting her. The feeling shocked him. Why should he care if he hurt her? She was just a silly little ninja....his silly little ninja. Wincing again, this time for a different reason, he shook his head.

"What are you doing to me, Yuffie?" He whispered, brushing back her hair.

She stirred again, shifting her back away from the wooden seat she sat in. With a low chuckle, he bent down and scooped her into his arms, turning towards the exit. He would have to think about the racking facts of life later. He paused in the court of the Second District, ignoring the curious glances he received from the crowds. Their room was occupied, and in a quick moment of thought, he turned and began to make his way towards the Dalmatians House.

Setting her down on the bed, he reached for the blankets piled at the end, bringing them up to cover her chin. She immediately fidgeted, trying to find a comfortable position. He rolled his eyes at the sight, recalling many nights in which it had taken forever for him to sleep with her rustling. He watched her until she stilled.

'Fool,' he thought in slight fondness. 'Silly, annoying, beautiful little fool.'
He bent down, placing a soft kiss on the skin below her left eye. His lips lingered on her skin a little longer than necessary until he fully realized what he was doing, and jumped back. What was wrong with him?

'I don't need a speech about friendship from you of all people, Squall Leonhart.'

Turning his back, he rotated a shoulder, clenching his fist and staring at the wall once again. He wouldn't succumb to this. Not again.

"Sleep tight, Yuffie." He murmured stiffly.

When Leon left...

Squall stayed behind.

ARGH! OMG! This chapter SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCKED! It took me almost a week to write this thing and it still sucked!

Cloud was Corny!

Squall was OOC!

GAH GAH GAH!

Ahem..

Alas, my muse has left me. I think its having an affair. But I promise the next few chapters will be so much better than this! Gah! I hated it!

Please Review. Here's how it works. Each Chapter, I offer a new Treat and a Plushie. Every time to Review, you get a new Plushie (You can request one if you like) by the end of the story, you'll have the whole collection! Heheh! Today, for it is hot outside here in Canada, I am offering Fudgesickles. Enjoy!