Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets of Madoka ❯ Discoveries ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was a beautiful morning with the sun radiating brightly over an island in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. From a distance, it would appear to be an inhabitant paradise, but farther inland lived people isolated from the world. And two of these people were put to the test from all the training they endured.

"NOT FAIR, TOSHIKO!" the young girl of about sixteen yelled, dodging a shuriken that had sliced a few strands from her long, black hair, loosely held together by a red ribbon. She held her place on a thick tree branch, glaring at the taller girl in a different tree. "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED!"

Her opponent--about a few years older than her--grinned as she pulled out three more shurikens and held it between her fingers. Her hair was of a light brown color with two blonde streaks of highlight. It was tightly pulled into a ponytail with a blue ribbon in place. She leapt onto a higher branch and laughed. "No weapons on us when entering the training ground."

"Ooh, you're so sneaky!" the younger girl squealed, moving swiftly through the trees and easily avoiding the raid of shurikens. She wondered what other weapons were snuck into the training area or if Toshiko had added any hidden traps. It was as if she purposely did this to her--Toshiko never liked her anyway.

Toshiko ducked from the oncoming fist and swept her leg at her rival's limbs, causing the girl to lose her balance. She grabbed the red ribbon from the girl's hair and musingly gave her a gentle push off the branch. She laughed, watching the girl land in the shrubs below. "Aawe, poor Madoka-hime-chan, you're really not cut out for a warrior's rough lifestyle," she taunted.


SECRETS OF MADOKA
(Madoka no Himitsu)

created & written by K-chan

Chapter One: Discoveries


Madoka quickly stood up, brushing off the twigs and leaves from her hair and clothes. She glared up at Toshiko, hating the nickname she had always called her. Before she could react, Toshiko had jumped to the forest floor and began running away. Madoka immediately rushed after her without a second thought, scolding herself for her carelessness at losing her ribbon, and now Toshiko had it and was going to win. But all Madoka had to do was get the blue ribbon from Toshiko, and the training battle would be a draw.

She focused on the chase, and as she closed in on Toshiko, the older girl suddenly made a sharp right turn as if leading her somewhere. It didn't matter if Toshiko had something planned, Madoka wouldn't let her get away her cheating and ridicule. She drifted into the canopy of leaves once more to hopefully attack her from above. The view of the girl on the ground faded in and out among the leaves, but Madoka could make out the sounds of her movements as well as sensing her presence.

She slowed down as she saw Toshiko leapt for the clearing. When her opponent stopped and turned around, giving Madoka one of her annoying smirks. "C'mon, hime-chan. I'm giving you one last chance," she said sweetly.

Madoka jumped to the ground, frowning and wondering what was up with her strange kindness. It wasn't like her at all to give anyone second chances. For one thing, Madoka didn't like the obvious charity. She charged at her but was inwardly surprised that Toshiko wasn't in any defensive stance. It was too late when Madoka realized that it was all a trap as her body plummeted downwards again, but this time it was in a wide, deep pit.

"YUCK!" she exclaimed, propping herself into a sitting position. She brushed her hair from her face and examined her new surroundings. She was not only covered in dirt but also leafy vines that had these pink flowers all over it. Her face wrinkled into frustration as she tried to recall something about those flowers. "Well they do look pretty," she said quietly. Then she glared up at the mouth of the pit upon hearing the horrendous laughter.

Toshiko came into view, shaking her head at the girl. "They are pretty, but hime-chan, you've forgotten about them already. They're called 'Alluras'." Madoka's eyes widened as she practically jumped to her feet, prying and kicking the vines away from her body. Toshiko laughed harder at the sight, clutching her stomach from the slight pain. "Yes, 'Poison Allura'."

'Poison Allura' was a beautiful yet deadly plant. Immediately death would result if consumption of the flower or leaves occurred, which was a defense mechanism from insects and birds. To larger species such as reptiles and mammals, a few deaths would occur but usually the creature would be ill for a week or so. For humans who only come in contact with it through touching, a painful irritation would be a consequence as well as patches of redness developing on the skin. If not treated within twenty-four hours, the chemicals would seep through the skin and cause an unbearable warmth, leading to fevers, dehydration, and such.

"It's not funny, Toshiko!!" Madoka shouted with anger and fear trembling in her voice. "Get me out of here!!"

Toshiko calmed down just enough so she could speak, "I'll see you back at the gates." She disappeared from sight as Madoka continued to yell after her. It was hopeless asking for her help--all she could do was wait a little longer. When she didn't come back, they'll be out looking for her. She looked around the pit again, seeing a few Alluras draped on the walls, and frowned. She rubbed her arms and legs, feeling the need to scratch them coming.

She squatted down as close to the wall as possible, staying clear of the poisonous plant. She wondered how strong the vines were--if they could support her weight. Since she already had contact with it, she grabbed a vine near her and tugged on it as hard as she could. It was very strong, but she wouldn't be able to latch anything to the end for a heavier weight.

She threw the vines back to the dirt floor, sighing, and leaned back. All she could do was wait. A faint sound of a deep horn echoing through the forest reached her ears, and she perked her head up. She then pouted, realizing her situation, and knew she was going to miss an important assembly.


Toshiko had reached the gates to the training ground when the horn sounded to everyone. Waiting for her and Madoka were her instructor and her classmates, consisting of only girls. She walked toward the instructor, who raised an eyebrow at seeing only her, and handed the red ribbon over to the woman.

"Where's Madoka-san?" she asked, glancing at the forest entrance.

Toshiko shrugged, suppressing the urge to laugh, "She was behind me, but I guess goofing off as usual."

The woman considered those words for a few seconds and sighed in resignation. "Let us leave for the Assembly Hall. Madoka-san must have heard the call, so she will join us there." She began to usher the girls in the direction of the clear, paved walkway that led to another set of gates.

Toshiko joined a classmate, and the two delved into an interesting conversation about the training venture. As the class slowly dispersed, a girl with dark-brown hair lingered behind worriedly. The woman looked back and saw the girl waiting by the gates and walked over to her. She placed a sympathetic hand on her shoulder, "She can take care of herself, but you can stay here and wait for her, Rika-san. I'm sure Lady Mikagero will understand."

Rika nodded, "Thank you, sensei." When her instructor and classmates were out of sight, she rushed towards the forest in hopes that her friend was all right.


The Assembly Hall was nothing wonderful, but for the group that inhabited the island, it was only used for grand occasions such as the one that was about to unfold. It was the largest room of all in any of the buildings with the wide entrance way that revealed a long, dark-red carpet that ended upon a platform. On the elevated floor, a single chair took its spotlight in the center. The chair was too plain to be called a throne, but there was a strong, authoritive aura surrounding it, giving the people a sense of security.

Rows of young women stood on either side of the carpet, giving their attention to the front. A few young men appeared in the back, knowing well which sex was in charge here. [SD-K-chan has an evil grin.] At the front of the line were the older women, who overlooked the events of the island. The only thing out of place was a gap near the front, indicating that two people were missing.

There was an entrance way to the left side of the platform, hidden behind the red curtains, and from there, a woman with dark-green hair trailing down to her feet stepped out next to the chair. She looked about forty years old with her serene, gentle expression, announcing, "Lady Mikagero."

Everyone in the room knelt in reverence, bowing their heads slightly. The said woman came out from the same entrance as the previous woman. She appeared younger with half of her dark hair twirled into a bun, clipped together with various gold barrets. Loose strands curled around her face while the rest of her hair flowed down her back over the white cloak. Her kimono-like garments were not extravagant but nothing of ordinary either. Her clothing wasn't what made her status slightly different from everyone else. It was her deep, violet eyes that appeared to hold some sort of power or knowledge as if she could bore into their souls. Her spirit was strong, and the people knew this.

"Mikagero-sama," they acknowledged and then stood up again.

Mikagero's eyes narrowed a bit when she spotted the gap in the crowd. She pushed the thoughts away and turned to the woman by her side, "Tokumori-san, have they settled in yet?"

"They have," she answered. "Lady Kanba are with them." Just as she finished her sentence, three different faces appeared at the entrance to the Assembly Hall. They descended the short steps onto the red carpet and made their way through the crowd of eyes on them. The leading female was about the same age as Tokumori, but her dark hair hung down to her waist.

The two youths behind her held powerful auras of those that warriors possessed. Their expressions were calm and almost blank as if their years of training had paid off to become the perfect warriors. They appeared to be walking side by side, but if one looked closer, the young woman was ahead by an inch or so, denoting that her position was higher than the young man.

They were three meters away from the platform when they bowed. Kanba stepped onto the platform and took the empty space to Mikagero's right side. Mikagero smiled faintly, "Welcome home, Kozue. Kazumi." Her manners returned to its seriousness again. "What news do bring from the mainland?"

"Genjirou of the Six Great Heroes," Kozue began, "is holding a wedding celebration in his manor in two weeks. His granddaughter is to wed Tsugiyama Yutaka."

"Nephew of Kaizan, the Lord of Thunder," Kazumi added.

"Is this an alliance between the Heroes?" Kanba questioned thoughtfully. Murmurs were heard among the spectators, but their ears were awaiting the words of their Lady.

"A rather wise move for the two of them," Mikagero said as if to herself. She turned to the pair again. "How are the rest reacting to the rumors?"

"Quite a stir, I'm sure," Kanba remarked with a short chuckle.

"Yes, as Lady Kanba has said," Kozue answered. "The resurface of the Celestial Dragon Text has caused an uproar in the martial arts world. Warriors from across the land are seeking it as we speak, taking word of mouth like necessary air."

"As expected with the plan," Tokumori added.

Mikagero nodded happily, "We will only have to sit back and watch them slaughter one another for something far from their reach." She paused, letting her thoughts linger back to the mentioned celebration. "Perhaps the wedding will be of use to us. As reknown as the Asagi and Tsugiyama, I am certain the other four will attend." She stood up and stepped down from the platform, addressing her audience with a mischievous smile. "We should at least send them our blessings." She glanced at the two women by her sides, "Am I correct?"

The pair nodded with similiar smiles on their faces, knowing that it was time the so-called heroes knew who they were dealing with. "Kozue, Kazumi, rest well for the next three days while preparations for your next mission will be tend to." They bowed in acknowledgement.


"I'm really glad it was just you," Madoka sighed gratefully while Rika helped her friend down the corridor. The two took it slowly because Madoka didn't want to get caught in such a humiliating situation. She leaned back against the wall, rubbing her arms fiercely, while Rika peeked around the corner. She waved her hand to Madoka, signaling it was clear.

They quickly hurried down the hallway and into Madoka's room. Rika helped the poor girl to her bedside, trying to make sure he got there safely without stumbling. "That Toshiko is really cruel. I can't believe she'd pull such a stunt." Rika tried to pry her friend's hands away from her irritating skin, but the girl couldn't resist the need to. She examined her legs, noting patches of pink. "Oh we better get the medicine or else this'll get worse.

Madoka groaned as if she was in serious pain already and fell back onto her bed. She curled up into a ball, still scratching like crazy. Rika's scoldings were completely ignored, but it couldn't be helped since the Alluras' were rather strong plants. "Just stay put, and I'll get the antidote," Rika said as she undid the ribbons holding the curtains on both ends of the bed and smoothed it out to hide Madoka's form from clear view.

Satisfied with Madoka sleeping, Rika rushed towards the doors and opened it just to encounter a solemn Mikagero with Tokumori. "Mikagero-sama!" She panicked, not meaning to glance back at Madoka's bedside, and lowered her gaze to the floor as she stepped back from the doorway, allowing the women entrance. She couldn't do anything that would disrespect Mikagero, but she knew that Madoka was squirming right now. She peered up like a shy child to Tokumori, who raised an eyebrow at the girl's behavior. "Mother," she said quietly to the second woman.

Mikagero noticed the alarm expression that swiftly passed over the girl's face. She walked to the table in the center of the room, looking at the paintings on the wall instead of immediate inquisition on the owner of the room. "Rika, you missed the assembly today."

"Umm, yes. I'm sorry," she apologized. Mikagero turned to the mother and daughter, who exchanged a quick look that meant the girl had better spill whatever happened to their superior or face the unmentionable consequence. "Uh, well a situation came up."

"The training?" Tokumori questioned her daughter. The girl nodded in response.

Mikagero's gaze focused on the untied curtains and frowned. She began to walk over there until Rika abruptly stepped in her path. When she realized her rude mistake, Rika shrunk back a bit but didn't withdrawl.

Tokumori was completely surprised by the action. "Rika, you are overstepping your position."

The girl lowered her, "I'm sorry, Mikagero-sama, but Madoka-chan is resting at the moment."

"Resting?" the older woman repeated with disappointment in her tone. She brushed Rika to the side with ease as the girl cried for her to stop. Mikagero stepped up to the curtains and paused before flinging it to one side. Her frown deepened, seeing the girl hiding beneath the covers. She grabbed the covers and yanked it off the girl. Her eyes widened at what she saw, gasping, "Madoka?!"

Worriment was completely visible in her violet eyes as she rolled the unwilling girl onto her back and inspected her legs and arms, now turning a deeper shade of pink. Tokumori joined Mikagero by the bedside and felt Madoka's forehead. "Too warm," she noted. "A result of Poison Allura."

"Tokumori-san, please get the antidote from the medicine room," Mikagero ordered, not taking her gaze from the ill girl. Tokumori nodded and left the room. "Rika, help her to my bath chamber."

"Ye-yes, Mikagero-sama." She watched the woman leave, wondering in puzzlement to why she should so much emotion with Madoka.


Within half an hour, Madoka was immersed in a hot bath in Mikagero's private chambers with Rika by her side. Rika placed a cool, wet cloth on her friend's head and watched her relax a bit, but the itching still didn't stop yet. It just wasn't quite as often as before. "Your complexion is so much better now," she commented.

Madoka sighed. "I thought for sure Lady Mikagero would scold me again for carelessness."

Rika untucked her legs from beneath her body into a more comfortable position. "Have you ever noticed that Lady Mikagero is nicer to you than anyone else?" Of course Madoka never noticed, looking at her best friend with a puzzle expression. "Even when she lectures you, anyone can see that she's only doing it because she cares for you. Like when she found out about this, she was really worried about you. I could see it in her eyes."

"I don't know," she said quietly, considering those words. "Except for you, Hisae, and a few others, I don't have a mother. And I guess with Mikagero losing her own daughter, she saw one in me?"

"Maybe." The two were quiet, but the silence wasn't an awkward moment for them. "Ne Madoka-chan, do you ever wish you could've at least seen your mother's face?"

"I used to think that way," she began, "but she's dead now, so there's really nothing I can do." Rika nodded, seeing her point to it, and caught Madoka smirking. "I wonder how Toshiko's gonna take this."

Rika just shook her head. "Who knows, but what I can't figure out is why you didn't tell Lady Mikagero that she had weapons hidden in the training grounds? That would get her into more trouble."

She shrugged, "It doesn't matter now." She lowered her body deeper into the water, dunking her head as well. A minute later, she came up for air and asked, "How long do I have to stay in here?"

"For three hours just to make sure all of the Allura is out and off your body." Madoka groaned and sunk back into the water, causing Rika to laugh.


Toshiko dropped to her knees with her head hanging low. Kanba stood by the girl's side as the two were in audience with Mikagero and Tokumori. The former woman wasn't looking too please, sitting behind her desk. Her eyes not only held disappointment but also anger, which was seldom seen among the people.

"Madoka's fine now, so there was no harm," Kanba started, but Mikagero held her hand in the air, telling her she didn't want to listened. She knew Madoka was Mikagero's favorite among Kozue and the others, but she had to at least try to defend Toshiko since the girl was really close to her own daughter--as if she had always cared for two daughters instead of one.

"I want to hear it from her own mouth," Mikagero spoke coldly without tearing her eyes from Toshiko's form.

The girl flinched inwardly but kept her face neutral. She quietly began, "There are traps all over the training grounds. It's not my fault that she happened to have fallen in one."

Mikagero clenched her fists at her words that denied her own fault. Tokumori kept silent, knowing this did not involve her, but she knew how upset the woman was. "Toshiko-SAN," she said calmly, "those on this island know well that Alluras do not grow at the bottom of pits. Someone had to put it there."

Toshiko was quiet while Kanba interjected, "Yes, anyone could have place it there. Perhaps they want to frame Toshiko-san."

Mikagero's glaring eyes fell on the current speaker, "Of all the girls in the class, who does not get along with Madoka the most? To an extent of such a dangerous jest." She continued, ignoring the wanted protests from Kanba, "We all know the truth to this, but I was only requested to confront Toshiko about it as well as no punishment."

At those words, Toshiko looked up hopefully. "Earlier today, Tokumori-san had suggested that a few others were to join Kozue and Kazumi on the next mission. You would have been chosen to go with them, Toshiko, but because your actions are unacceptable in accordance to the laws of the island, you are no longer qualified and are to refrain on the island."

Toshiko stared at her in surprise and then lowered her head in surrender to the decree. She cursed her luck and Madoka for passing an opportunity to leave the island.