Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere Out There ❯ A Look into Past, A Barrier Broken ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-A Sora and Kairi Story-

Disclaimer: Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Disney characters and all references belong to there respected owners, Square Soft and Disney. They, in now way belong to us.

Authors Note: In this story Sora's moms name is Katherine, Riku's moms name is Carrie, and Kairi's moms name is Karen. Don't like? Deal with it, that's how it goes.

Somewhere Out There

(POV- 1st: Sora)

It all began one year ago. When I had met Donald and Goofy… I wasn't sure of them at first, but as soon as they said they would help me, I was glad to help them. We traveled to thirteen worlds together, meeting all sorts of people and running into many awful things along the way. They were searching for their King, as I was looking for my friends, Riku...and... Kairi... I looked high and low for the two, hoping they would be alright. They were...to an extent...if you ignore the fact that Riku went evil...and Kairi had lost her heart. But, as it turns out I had her heart all along.

I absentmindedly run my fingers down my chest.

I had a scar from that. Nevertheless I would do it all over again if I had to. It's a small price to pay to get her to wake again. As the story goes...I found Riku and Kairi, and also found King Mickey, we never got to talk to him, he was behind the locked doors of Kingdom Hearts, as well as Riku…I can still hear his voice in my head.

Hurry! There coming!!

I must admit I was surprised to hear this at first but… I listened to my dear friend as he turned slowly back to me and said his last words…

Take care of her…

The door is closed, sealed tight and locked now. I hope it will stay that way for a while…even though I miss home, I'm still tired, and am in no way ready to jump foot again to battle heartless. The breeze is soft tonight; I sit and wonder what she's doing now…I hope she's okay. I have a good feeling that she's just fine though, she was always tougher then she looked. I laugh as I think back to our child hood…

'Come on Sora!! Let's go swimming!' Kairi laughed as she turned and ran to the surf.

'Alright, I'm coming!!'

I charged into the ocean, drenching Kairi in her pink flowered swim suit. I sat on my knees in the shallow waters of DestinyIslands, Kairi looked and me her cheeks red with anger.

'Sora!! You big meany!' She yelled.

As soon as she had yelled that I had found myself underwater, Kairi, playfully holding me under. I caught her arm and pushed her off. I practically jumped out of the water, gasping for breath. She merely giggled at me; I turned away from her my cheeks were burning.

'Ha! Ha! Got you!'

I glared at her, pouting, I crossed my arms across my chest.

'That wasn't funny!'

Its funny how those silly childhood antics were carried on to our teens, we acted the same way, always playing around in the water and dunking each other. It was when I just turned 14 that I noticed that Riku barley hung out with Kairi. He was still himself it's just that I found myself with Kairi a lot more then I did with Riku. Which, of course was okay with me, we were all best friends.

I had always had a small crush on Kairi. Her never knowing naturally, my mom always said that I liked her…and me…being me, always on a regular basis, denied it. I simply got huffy and left the house every time she mentioned it. Ha, ha…I miss home… I miss my mom, Kairi, Selphie, Tidus, and Wakka. I yawn as I think about Wakka, trying in vain to teach me how to play Blitzball. I was never able to totally grasp it. I did what he said but every time I hit the ball it would shoot away, and come back smacking me in the face. Wakka…always looking shocked…stopped trying to teach me after I lost his ball when I kicked it too far into the ocean.

I feel myself drifting off into thoughts of you…Your smile. Your laugh. Your-

"….Sora?!"

I nearly fell of the accessory shop roof.

"Good god Donald!!" I yell. "What is it?! You trying to give me a heart attack?!"

"Its not my fault you've been dazed out, I've been trying to get your attention for 2 minutes." He scoffed.

"Sorry, sorry…" I get up dusting off my black shorts. Gees, I miss my red ones. "What is it?" I ask him more calmly.

"It's just getting late; don't want you falling asleep up here." Donald replied simply.

"Oh so you care?" I say sarcastically.

He simply turned around and began walking down the stairs. "By the way Sora, you know the walls separating all the worlds?"

I glace up at him. Is he going to say what I hope he's going to say?

"Well, there gone now, been destroyed again."

I grin, and practically fell down the stairs I was so happy. "Donald!! Do you know what this means?!" I ran up to him and grabbed his shoulders, and shook him. "I get to go back to Kairi!! The walls are gone!!!"

I stand up and punch the air. "Yes!!" I pause; I can feel Donald and Goofy's eyes. I think for a second, not getting very far.

"….No!!! That's bad!!" I sink down to the floor, my eyes heavy with sleep and sadness.

"Ahh!! But that's good at the same time…But the doors are all open again!"

"Gawrsh, how long do you think it will take until he realizes he's talking to himself?" I heard goofy silently question Donald.

"Who knows with him?"

"Hey!" I turn around and glare. I see there smiling faces. "Very funny guys…"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

(POV- 3rd)

"Ah!! Such a peaceful night! Don't you think Kairi?"

"Oh yes…I love the Tikki torches you added to the island. It looks very nice Selphie!"

"Thank You!! I worked on it all day today! I even got burnt…I wanted it to be perfect." Selphie stated as she walked in step with Kairi off the docks.

"You guys as hungry as I am?" Tidus held his stomach. "I'm starving!!"

Kairi giggled "I must admit you guys, having a barbeque was a great idea."

"You guys ready to eat, ya?" Wakka said as he carried a platter with grilled steak on it.

"You bet!!" Selphie and Kairi spoke in unison.

Kairi sat alone on the Paopu Island, here eyes closed as she laid listening to the waves gently cascading, lost deep in thoughts. Footsteps told her that someone was coming. It reminded her on a night long ago.

Pat Pat Pat

"Hey Kairi, what are you doing here all by yourself?" a curious sounding Sora said quietly.

Kairi opened her eyes to see him standing over her hold a bag of chips. He was in what he usually wore, his simple red swimming shorts, and a white shirt.

"Nothing really Sora, just couldn't sleep."

"Mind if I join ya?" Sora replied laying his head near hers, still munching on his chips.

They lied in silence for a few minutes staring at the stars, enjoying each others company. When Sora spoke:

"Hey Kairi…"

"Yeah Sora?"

"When you look at the stars…what do you think of?" he questioned.

She sat pondering his inquiry.

"Kairi?"

"I think of the happy days we have, playing on the beach, having sleepovers, all that good stuff..." She answered simply.

"Anything else?" He questioned more.

"…..I think of what my old town was like."

"I thought you told me that you didn't know what it was like..?"

"I don't, I try to think of things that I can tell you, you silly bum."

"Oh..." he replied, slightly embarrassed.

A few moments passed.

"What about you Sora?"

He thought for a minute.

"I think of what things could be out there, what adventures we could have if we ever get there, and all of the people we could meet…all the fun we could have….." Sora whispered.

"Yeah…" Kairi whispered back.

"Kairi…?"

"Yes Sora?"

"Whatever happens…we'll always be friends right?"

"No Sora."

"What...?"

Kairi giggled, turned over and propped herself up on her elbows, looking at Sora.

"We'll be better then that, we'll be best friends… till the end."

"Oh...heh…You scared me…" Sora laughed as he slowly got up. "You shouldn't joke like that..."

Sora slowly turned toward Kairi, smirked and dumped the rest of his chips on her. She shrieked and jumped up.

"It's not nice!" Sora laughed as he began running down the wooden bridge between the PaopuIslandand DestinyIslands.

"Sora!! I'm gonna get you for that!!" Kairi yelled playfully as she began her chase.

-~-~-

"Kairi?" Selphie quietly said. "You okay?"

Kairi looked up, seeing Selphie she slowly got up. "Yeah, I'm fine... just revisiting old memories."

"Him?" Selphie sat next to her.

"Yes…him." Kairi hung her head.

"Well, the best advice I can give you is that if you have to cry, just cry, it's the best thing."

Kairi looked at her friend with tears. Something came over her, tears started to spill from her pale blue eyes and she couldn't stop them.

She moaned: "His voice...I can't hear it anymore…" Her body shook with sobs; Selphie held her friend and patted her back.

"That's it, just let it out."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The Gummi ships engine roared, Sora was behind the wheel revving the engine. His adrenaline was running high, and he could hardly keep his excitement controlled. "Come on, Come on, Come on!" Sora thought to himself, Donald and Goofy were checking over the ship before they left. He poked his head out of the hatch and yelled down to Donald.

"Come on! You're taking forever! ...I'm about to explode!"

"If we don't make sure everything's alright something could go wrong." Donald stated slightly annoyed.

"Blah blah blah…Just get in here, everything will be fine!!" Sora's voice echoed through the ship dock.

Sora leaned back into the driver's seat and fixed his goggles. Goofy clambered in as did Donald soon after.

"Buckle up boys." Sora slammed his foot on the acceleration pedal and the Gummi ship rose off its platform, and zoomed out of the dock faster then the speed of light. Colors beyond colors were all just a blur to the trio, it was a beautiful site, but none of them noticed. Sora's heart was pounding against the confides of his chest, seeming that it would break if they couldn't get through.

"Faster…faster…" Sora's mind raged at him and urged him to push the pedal harder.

"Sora! Slow down!!" Donald screamed in his ear. "You'll crash us!"

Sora, realizing that he was putting the life of his friends in danger, slammed on the breaks.

"Too late!" Sora yelled as the gravity of a small blue planet started pulling them in.

-~-~-

Wakka glanced up at the sky. "What a clear day." He thought. He turned back to his blitzball; he began bouncing it lightly on his knee, occasionally glancing up at the sky. A small glint of light caught his eye; he shielded the sun from his eyes and watched the light grow larger. He soon realized that it wasn't just a glowing dot in the sky…"Holy Crap!! It's a ship, ya!!" Wakka turned around and took cover, bracing for impact.

There was a huge crash; Wakka felt for sure that the whole island shook because of it. He slowly peeked out from his hiding place, and glanced over, at the banged up ship. He stood up and cautiously walked over.

"Hey…anyone alive in there?" Wakka stared, waiting for an answer.

A painful moan filled his ears; his nerves were just about shot.

"Okay…maybe on the other side?" Wakka thought to himself.

-----

"Whoo! I guess it did need to be check over huh?"

"You big palooka!! You could have killed us!!"

"Gawrsh that was quite a ride!"

"Oh come on Donald, Were still alive!! And look, were at my home!!" Sora stood up cheerfully. "Ouch…my hands all cut up"

There was a deep gash diagonal on Sora's palm, it was bleeding profusely.

"It isn't…" A shocked voice said.

Sora turned toward the voice, curious to know who he would run into first.

"It is!! My gosh Sora!! It's you, ya?!"

"Wakka!!" Sora said enthusiastically, running up to his friend.

"How you been man?! Where you been?"

"Long story dude…" Sora replied meekly.

"Look at you…You look …you look, older! You're wearin' black!"

"Well, I hope I would look older…" Sora said sarcastically. "And yeah...I grew out of my red ones…"

"I gotta tell everyone!!" Wakka enthusiastically yelled as he ran toward his boat.

"Eh…?" Sora stared dumfounded at his friends retreating back. "What the heck?"

Donald and Goofy stood behind Sora, waiting for him to say something. The island was as beautiful as Sora always said it was, white sand, clear blue waters, and many green palm trees. Donald realized why Sora wanted to come back so badly. Besides the fact that Kairi was somewhere around, it was a paradise.

"Gawrsh, what a purtty island!" Goofy chuckled.

Sora smiled. "Yeah, it is. Well guys should we tidy up before we follow Wakka?"

-~-~-

Wakka jumped off his boat, and high tailed it to the small town just ahead of him. Many people turned there heads to watch the young boy, wondering what could possibly make him so excited.

"Tidus!! Selphie!!"

Wakka ran to their doors banging on them all, hoping for an answer. When Tidus slowly opened his, Wakka burst through into his living room.

"Dude!! You have to come with me!!" Wakka grabbed his arm and tried to pull him out of his house.

"Dude!!! I'm in my underwear!" Which was true, Tidus was wearing a white beater shirt and green boxers.

"He won't care!! He ran around like that all the time!!" Wakka said getting slightly annoyed.

"'He'?" Tidus asked.

"Sora, you ass!!"

-~-~-~-~-

'Last time I talked to you…You were lonely and out of place…'

Authors Note: Well, here's the fist chapter. I hope you like it! I had fun writing it. Chapter 2 should be up next week or sooner…or later… Review please!!! You can email me at: lane_joe_loves_her_goober_kitty@hotmail.com if you like. No flames please.

LaneJoe