Fan Fiction ❯ The Fallen Guardian ❯ Friend or Foe? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The place is Destiny Islands, Kairi is in a secret cave where the three once played and drew pictures. Examining the past fantasies of adventure and wonder, Kairi kept going deeper, eventually finding a picture left by Sora. It was Sora and herself, except Sora added to the picture. It was a picture of Sora giving her a papou fruit. In tears of her lost friend, Sora, she finished the picture by drawing her hand giving Sora a papou fruit.

I must wait for Sora and Riku's return…

Kairi walks out, wiping the tears off of her face. Unknown to her and everyone on the island, the door was not locked. And the Heartless are still wild. And Kairi's going to find that out in very little time. As she exited the cave, a black mist started coming out of the bottom the mysterious door at the end of the cave. Rising up from the mist, a shadowy figure arises, slowing following Kairi.

As Kairi started walking to the beach, she felt a cold hand touch her shoulder. She quickly turned, eyes wide with panic. It was a boy, not much older than her. But something was different about him. Nearly falling, Kairi got back up on her feet, and examined the odd figure that scared her half to death. His eyes were dark; he didn't seem too nice. But where did he come from? Could Sora or Riku have sent him? Send him saying that they were weren't hurt, and that they were going to try to find a way back to the island as soon as possible?

"Kairi? Are you Kairi?" The boy had a deep tone to his voice. He looked as if he was stronger than Riku, and sure sound like it. He was so calm, he was too calm, he must be trying to trick her. She took a step back. If he were to try anything, she would get Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie to help her. But he might know where Sora and Riku were, just like a possibility she though of. He might know her because they told him her name.

"Y-yes?" she managed to stutter.

"Sora sent…"

"Sora! You know Sora?! Do you know where he is? How is he, is he alright?" Sora, Sora was really alive, he must have been if this person was sent by Sora. Kairi examined him, and noticed the Heartless symbol on his arm. The Heartless, were they not trying to kill Sora? If he was really a Heartless, he could be leading her into a trap. But didn't Sora say something about Riku being able to control the Heartless?

"Hey, calm down, I can only answer one question at a time."

"B-b-but you are one of the Heartless! You're trying to trick me!" The figure looked at his arm, moving his thumb over the symbol. Kairi didn't know what was going on; all she knew is if he was trying to trick her, she really has nowhere to run…

"Well, wouldn't you know? I really am one of the Heartless. Turn around, you might not want to see this." Turn around; he wanted Kairi to turn around. What was he going to do? He said he was one of the Heartless. Is her going to steal her heart? Kairi shuttered remembering the darkness she was imprisoned in for what seemed like forever.

"Can I trust you?" Kairi asked, not believe she was going to trust one of the Heartless.

"I don't know, can you?" By this time, Kairi took a few steps back and turned around slowly. She was very scared; she didn't know what the Heartless was going to do. She heard the flick of a knife. She took another step away from him. A sound came from behind her, like the Heartless was hurt, like he was cutting himself.

What is he doing? It sounds like he's cutting himself!

The next sound was like bandage tape, just like when Riku bandaged Kairi up after she fell down and hurt her leg. That Heartless must have cut himself. It's the only explanation that Kairi had. But why was he cutting himself? Or what was he cutting off?

"Alright, you can look Kairi."

Kairi turned around slower than she did before. He was still standing there, like nothing happened. Then she noticed a bandage around where the Heartless symbol was. He cut the mark of the Heartless off of his arm. She was shocked.

"That's the one problem of the Heartless, they're never loyal to their own kind."

"You're hurt! Why did you do that?"

"To do what Sora sent me to do. Unfortunately, when I was sent here, I had to use the same path the Heartless use to go to other world. I guess they turned me into a Heartless on the way here."

"What about Sora, why did he send you here?"

"He sent me here to tell you that he is sorry that he's not with you and he's trying to find a way to get back. Unlike me, he can't travel the dark roads of the unknown, not with the Keyblade. He also said that he's trying to find Riku and King Mickey on the journey he embarked to find you. He sent me here to be your guardian until he returns back home."

"Well, what's your name if you're here to protect me?"

"I really don't know my own name. All I know is that the Heartless gave me title of The Fallen Guardian."