Fan Fiction ❯ The Forgotten Princess ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Forgotten Princess

by Rurouni Kitsune

Note: I do not own the A-Team. Everyone else is mine.

Prologue

"No Micheal" Juliet Johnson screamed. "The child will not deal with the preasures of this life."

"But Juliet..." Micheal Johnson said.

"No. I'm not going to stand around and watch your brother order you around. It seems that he is making all the descions in your life!"

"Juliet listen. He is King. I must do what he tells me."

"No you aren't a robot. You can make your own desicions. He dosen't rule your life."

"You don't...."

"I don't understand?! I do understand. Damit Micheal, you're letting him rule your life!" Juliet threw a sweatshirt into her suitecase. Her pregnancy didn't help her cause. Mycroft would just insist that she couldn't think clearly. To her he was an ingsufinent bully. He may be King but that didn't give him the power to torture his brother. And as if that wasn't enough he had started bullying her around. She was sick of it, she had already filed a divorce and she was heading back to America. Every night she praied that her child wouldn't be like its Father because he was a wimp. Maybe a life in America would keep her from seeing her former husband.

Three days later Juliet sat in a hospital bed. Her daughter, Katlyn, had just been born a few hours before. She sat a penicl in hand:

My Dearest Daughter,

If you're reading this I'm no longer among the living. And it also means I have failed to protect you. I must tell the truth, your father never died in a car crash. He is alive and his name is Micheal Johnson. I foolishly married him but I divorced before you were born. He is King of Scotland and the reason is not that for why I divored him. It was his brother who is now the Duke. He controls everything. Yes, that also means you are Princess, and the next in line to inherit the throne. Do your best not to let them find you. If they do find you don't succemb to the presure. You are stronger than you think. The Duke thinks he's in charge. Don't let him scare you. Stand up for what you belevie in. He has no power over you. The torn part of the letter you undoubtibly found was part of a letter he sent to me to beg me to forgive him. He also wanted you to go to Scotland and be educated there. Remember you must stand up for what you belevie in. I love you, and always will.

With Love,

Your mother,

Juliet Ashleigh Johnson

She sighed and put the letter into an envolope. The pencil floted over the paper as she wrote Katie's name on it. Never, she hoped, would the letter have to be sent. She would give her life so that Katie didn't have to go to Scotland. As she stared out the window she wondered what Micheal and Mycroft were doing. It dosen't matter. She thought. They chose that path. But I do miss Micheal.

Chapter 1

A Broken Heart

Katie Johnson staried out the school bus window as it pulled up next to her house. She grabed her backpack and scrambled off the bus. As she walked down the driveway she heard the bark of her four year old lab/greyhound mix.

" I 'm coming Max!" she yelled as she sprinted down the drive.

A small, grey house came into sight with a small, chain-link dog pen to its right. She ran toward the grauge to grab Max's leash. While going to grab Max she noticed a small piece of paper on the front lawn.

Why do people always throw trash on our lawn? She thought. She grabed Max and went to get the mail.

On her way back she picked up the piece of paper. It was part of an old letter. Katie read it:

Dear Juliet,

I know you hate me because of the letter but Mycroft sent that letter. Please, the fate of Scotland depends on this. Please reconsider.

The rest of the letter was torn off.

That's weard.Katie thought I'll have to ask Mom about that. Her name is Juliet, but what would Mom have to do with the fate of Scotland? She shoved the torn part of the letter into her pocket. Katie walked up to the house thinking it over. Her mother was a firefighter. Her mother said that Katie's father had died in a car crash a few days before she was born. Both she and her mother lived comfortably in their small house with their dog, Max.

Katie walk into her study and sat down in her purple computer chair. She grabbed her homework and started. I wish I was riding now she thought. Katie was a star eventer and was trying to convince her mother to buy her a horse.I better finish, Mom's going to be home soon.

As soon as Katie finished her homework her mother came up the driveway in her emreld green 95' jeep. Katie ran up to her mother.

"Hello birthday girl" Juilet said. "Did you finish your homework?"

"Of course, Mom" Katie replied.

"Good because we're going out and I'm not telling you where." Her mother said. " Let's go."

They climb into the jeep.

" Please tell me where we're going, Mom." Katie begged.

" No Katie. You know the tradition. You'll find out when we get there." Juilet replied.

They drove threw town to Brigg's Stable. Katie looked intensly toward the stable.

" Sorry Katie but we're not going there." Juliet said. " You know we can't afford a horse"

" Can't I dream?" Katie replied.

" I guess"

" Are we going ..."

" Up Up no guessing."

They drove threw the winding streets of Hanover. Katie turned up her favoite radio station. She loved country music, and wklb 99.5 was her favorite station. She looked over at her mother. The blond haired, thin and athletic Juliet Johnson was one of the most beautiful women in town. Katie was suprised that she hadn't remarried. Her mother had been asked out many times by guys around town but she always refused.

She must still be loyal to Dad. Katie thought. I wonder what he was like. Juliet never talked about Katie's father. It must be too painful for Mom.

"We're here Katie." Her mother's voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Ok Mom." Katie replied. " Wow" she stared amazed at the lights.

" I knew that you'd like it. Come on. Theres more." Juliet said.

They walked in to the resturant. As they walk in they see a women at the front.

" Ah... you must be the Johnsons." The lady said " Please follow me." She led the way down an isle. When they got to the booth they heard every one shout "Suprise Happy Birthday Katie!"

For the next hour and a half Katie opened presants, ate cake, and talked with here friends. Everyone was there. Her friends Megan Stone, Jen McLean, and Nikki Blake were there, along with her riding instructer, Lesa Reese. She got CDs by her favorite artist from Megan. A poster of her favorite event rider, Karen O' Connor from Jen. A new helmet and crop was given to her from Nikki. And she got a book on champion grand prix rider, Rodrigo Pessoa and from Lesa.

" We saved the best for last" Megan said. She and the others pulled a crate out from underneath the table. A little voice barks from inside. They open the door and a little greyhound puppy burst out. It had a little collar around its neck.

" Wow, a puppy. Thanks guys." Katie said as the puppy licked her face. " I think I'll call you Windswept, Windy for short."

" That's a good name" Nikki agreed.

They played with Windy for a couple more minutes before Megan, Jen, and Nikki's parents came to pick them up. They said their good byes.

"Thanks so much, Mom." Katie said when she got in the jeep. Windy climbed in onto Katie's lap.

" Your welcome Katie." Her mother replied. " Put Windy in the back, if we get into a crash she would get crushed."

"Ok Mom." she said as she put Windy in the backseat. Then all of a sudden Katie was jerked forward. She heard brakes shreek. Then every thing went black.

Katie jerked awake. She was in an extremly dark room. She was imeatidly aware of extreme pain in both her shoulder and her ribs. She let out a groan.

Where am I she thought Where's Mom and Windy? Then all of a sudden the lights came on. It was so bright that Katie couldn't see.

"I see you're awake." a voice said. Katie could barely makie out the figure of a short, white garbed women. Katie's eyes gradually got used to the light. She saw a nurse in front of her.

" Where am I?" Katie asked " And where's my Mom and my dog?"

" For one your in the hospital. You and your mother were in a horrible accident." The white garbed nurse said. " Your dog is at a vetanary clinic not far down the road, and your mother..."

" Where is Mom?"

" I'm sorry to tell you this child, but.... your mother was killed on impact."

Katie was stunnded. This had to be a dream. She'd wake up any second in her room, with Max and Windy. Her mother downstairs drinking her tea.

"No" she whispered.

" I'm sorry child but it's true" the nurse replied.

" What about my house, my other dog, and....... Mom's ......funeral."

" Your house is being taken care of. Your dog is at the Vet down the street with your other dog. And your mother's funneral was yesterday."

" No!" Katie yelled. " She's not dead!"

" Calm down sweetie" the nurse said.

Katie finnally calmed down "What happened to me?"

" You were lucky." the nurse said as she took Katie's temputure "When you turned around you exsposed only your sholuder and your ribs. You cracked a couple ribs and dislocated your shoulder."

"What's going to happen to me?"

" Do you have any other family?"

Katie shook her head " No, Mom's an only child and her parents passed away a couple of years ago. And my father was killed in a car crash before I was born. He was an orphan."

"Then you're going to a foster home. Now don't worry about that. Just try to go back to sleep." The nurse said as she backed out of the room, and she turned off the lights. Now Katie was alone.

This isn't a dream. I've got to face it, Mom's not coming back. Katie thought.

Katie don't give up. I may no longer be with you in flesh but always here, in your heart. Don't give up Katie. Your stronger than you think.

" Mom?" Katie whispered

Promise me. Promise me your not going to give up.

" I promise Mom." Katie replied as she fell asleep.

"Katie I'd like you to meet the McGowns. they are going to be your foster parents." Mrs. Sparks the socal worker said. It had been four weeks since the accident and her mother was killed. Now both her arm and ribs had healed but the memory hadn't yet faded. Max and Windy stood by her side. She hadn't seen her friends since the accident.

" It's nice to meet you Katie." Mr. McGown said and extended his hand.Katie shook it.

" I hope you like horses, Katie" Mrs. McGown said " We own a stable with fifteen horses"

" I love horses" Katie replied Well this won't be that bad. Katie thought they seem like nice enough people and they have horses.

" Where do you live Mr. and Mrs. McGown?" Katie asked.

"We live in Montana." Mr. McGown replied." It's beautiful, 50acres of horse farm. We have a training oval, it was put there before we moved in. There's three barns, we only use one though. There's plenty of room for your dogs to run"

"You could ride as soon as we get there." Mrs. McGown said " If you don't know how to ride I'm sure our groom, Len would be glad to teach you."

" Thank you" Katie answered " but I already know how to ride."

"Well why don't we get your things, Katie." Mrs. Sparks insistied.

" Welcome Home, Katie" Mr. McGown said" Would you like to see the grounds and horses first or would you rather unpack?"

" Could we see the horses first?" Katie asked eagarly.

" If your going to see the horses then drop me off at the house." Mrs, McGown said. As soon as they droped Mrs. McGown off at the house they headed down toward the barns. Katie looked in aw as three bright red barns came into view, with a training oval off to the right.

" Do you like horses?" Mr. Mcgown asked

" I love horses" Katie replied " I hope to become an Olympic eventer someday."

" Well you can certanly get that expeirence here." Mr. McGown said as they got out of the car, and walked toward the barn both Max and Windy followed.

Once inside Mr. McGown showed her the horses.

" The roan filly is Rose, the grey colt is Houdini"

"Why's he called Houdini?"

" Because he is an escape artist just like Harry Houdini, this paint is Jock...."

" Here's your new room." Mr. McGown said as they walked into the second barn and he pointed to an old box stall. "You and Len can make it bigger if you want to. I'm sorry you can't sleep in the house, but we don't have any room."

" I don't mind." Katie anwsered. "I used to sleep over at my old barn."

" Then I'll let you unpack." Mr.McGown said as he walked out of the barn. She lugged her bag into the stall. It was a large stall at 15'x15' but it was going to be a very small room.

I wonder why they didn't give me a cot. She thought. Oh well, I don't mind sleeping on straw.

" You must be Katie" a voice said behind her. Katie spun around quickly. She saw a short, willowly, black man standing at the doorway of the stall.

" I'm Len, sorry if I startled ya'." the man said in a low voice.

" Thats alright" Katie said. She was a bit hesitant. Could she trust this man?

"Do you have any experance with horses?" Len asked.

" Yeah, I used to be an event rider." Katie replied.

" Then could ya help me take care of the horses? The McGowns aren't much help. They'd rather take a crop and hit any one they can get their hands on."

"They seemed nice to me."

"That's only an act. They're really drug addicts. They'll do any thing to get their hands on some crack. Anyway I'd be gratefull if you helped me take care of the horses."

"I'd love to help you take care of the horses. By the way, what's the training oval used for?"

"We use it only once in a while. Most of the horses are off-the-track pleasure horses, but if you wanted to learn how to be a jock I could probably teach ya how. I was a trainer until my employer went bankrupt. He used to own this place and I stayed on because the McGowns needed a groom."

"I think I'll take up on that offer."

" Ok, I'll see ya' at five" Len said and dissapered into the darkness.

I wonder what's going on here. Katie thought Oh well, might as well get unpacked. She opened her bag and pulled out a picture of her Mom. Oh Mom, I miss you so much. Why did you have to go? She set the picture on her suitcase and looked at Max and Windy. They were happily settilling into the straw.

" At least we have each other. Right guys?" Both dogs looked at her. She got out a sleeping bag from her suitcase and laid it in a corner at the back of the stall. Next she took out her pillow and stuffed animal, Sun Bear and laid them on her sleeping bag. Then she took out a battery-powered lamp, and set it next to the sleeping bag. She turned on the light and changed into her night gown. As she slipped into her sleeping bag she thought of her father. Her father, who was he? Where was he from? What was he like? Did he love her mother? Too many questions, she thought as she fell asleep, and so few anwsers.

When she woke up she changed into her worn jeans and her comfortable t-shirt. She pulled on her jodhopur boots. Her clock said 4:58a.m. She hurried to the other barn.

" Good your here" Len said " You can do Jock's, Rose's, Courage's, Dream's and Diamond's stalls."

" What are their full names" she asked as she fed Rose.

" Jockey's Nightmare, Red Rose, Darwin's Courage, Sweet Dream, and Shining Diamond."

" Cool, What are the other horses' names?"

"Houdini: Master Houdini, Secret: Secret Fear, Lord: His Lordship, Heart: Noble Heart, Legacy: Sweet Legacy, Sunny: Sunshine, Maggy: Just Magic, Gibson: Gold Gibson,Fin: So Fine, and King: King Neptune."

" Did they do anything on the track?" she asked as she finished her third stall.

" Well, none of them were grade one stakes winners but they did still win a couple of grade two races. After we turn out some of the horses and eat breakfast. we can take out a couple of these guys for a trail ride. I want to see how well you ride."

After breakfast Len told Katie to saddle up Rose, he'd ride Lord. She went back to her suitcase to get her helmet. She quickly brushed and tacked up Rose. Leading Rose out of the barn she saw a mounting block, and led Rose over to it. She put on her helmet and mounted Rose. Len came out of the barn and mounted Lord.

" Let's take one of the longer trails, follow me" Len said. Katie followed him and Lord. Rose was quiet and seemed to be listening to Katie's every direction.

" Let's trot em'"Len insistied. Katie squeezed Rose into a trot. Her trot was magnificent. Her long strides were ground covering. At the end of the trail they reached a large open field.

" Canter her in a couple figure eights" Len instructed. As soon as Katie asked for a canter she felt like she was in a dream. Rose's canter was enchanting. Katie had no problem doing the lead changes. Then she saw Len mothing to her and she asked Rose to drop back into a trot.

" Nice job. Gallop her once around the outside of the field." Len told her. As soon as Katie gave her the signle Rose moved into a ground-eating gallop. It was magic, but all to soon they had finished the outer rim of the field and Katie slowed Rose to a canter, then to a trot.

" Good. Let's trot them back." Len said.

When they got back Katie untacked rose and led her to a paddock. Mr. McGown was waiting for Katie when she got back to the barn.

" Hello Katie, I see you've been riding. Would you please follow me to the house." Mr. McGown asked. Katie warrily followed. She rembered what Len had said the night about how the McGowns' smoked crack, and beat people. When inside the house she was led to a well lit room, with no furniture.

" Well Katie, now I think it is time for your lesson." Mr. McGown said

" What do you mean?" Katie asked but she already knew the anwser. He was going to beat her. He had already raised a crop. It came down hard on her bad shoulder. She fell to the floor in with a look of both pain and fear written all over her face.

Chapter 2

Miricale To The Rescue

A smile spred over Katie's face. The wind whiped her hair back. Rose was only just begining. Her ground-eating gallop was fast, and magnifisent. When they got to the half mile pole she let her all out.

" Go Rose!" she screamed, ignoring the pain in her shoulder. Rose sped up and seemed to be gaining speed with each stride. The marker poles flashed by. At the half mile marker she stood in the sturips and pulled Rose to a canter.

"Good job, girl. Len's gotta be happy with that." she said with a smile. She troted her to the gap. Rose's roan coat was barely sweaty. The filly was three years old, and retired. She used to be a racer but her owner had went bankrupt and sold her with the farm.

"Nice ride" Len said when they reached the gap. Katie dismounted and took off her helmet. She shook her long, blond hair out of her eyes. At 13 she was five-foot, and weighd 85 pounds. She had lived with the McGowns for a year, and she hated every minute she wasn't with the horses. The McGowns abused her at least every other day. Yesterday was that day. The shoulder she had dislocated a year ago was the main targget in these "Lessons." The only things that kept her going were the horses and the promise she had made a year ago.

She and Len were planning to over throw the McGowns and turn them over to the police. Over the last year she and Len had become very good friends. He had taught her to become a jockey, and he had also taught her how to use a bullwhip. The only problem was that there was only two of them and the McGowns friends lived with them and they loved beating Katie. They were out numbered, 2-10, not very good odds.

Max and Windy followed her and Rose back to the barn. Max was now 5 going on 6,and Windy was 1. They seemed to have adapted to life in the barn. The only thing they hated was when the McGowns beat them. Max now had a limp because of it. Besides that they loved the barn. They even adapted to a foal that was born. Maggie had a little black colt named Sweet Magic, Sweetie for short. He was two months old.

Rose impationatidly stomped her foot. She wanted to go out to her paddock.

" Ok girl, ok. I'm hurrying." Katie said quickly untacking and grooming Rose. " Here's a treat for my princess" she said giving her a carrot. She quickly unhooked the crossties and led her to a padock. She watch Rose and Maggie graze while Sweetie explored the paddock. I wish I could be as carefree as those guys. She thought.

"I'd better get ready" she sighed. today they were going to over throw the McGowns. If they failed they wouldn't live to see another day. Don't think about loseing. Mom always told me I'm stronger than I think. I should beleve her, she scolded herself. She never showed her feelings but that didn't mean she didn't have any,and right now she was trying very hard not to show she was scared. Some nights she even cried, in pain, fear, and sorrow. She missed her mother more than anything. Max, Windy, and Rose helped when she needed comfort, but none of them could compare with her mother.

She walked toward the barn to grab her whip and pratice. It was esantiel to know how to use the whip proparly, other whise you'd beat yourself half to death with it. She had also stolen a couple of pistols and a rifle. She couldn't practice with them because they only had a small amount of amo, and because she couldn't risk being heard. Their lives depended on winning. Oh Mom why did you have to go? Life's been a living nightmare. I miss you.

Katie curled up her whip and attached it to her belt. Next she put her pistol in a holster on her belt. She had extra amo. in her bag. She was ready. She and Len were going into this together. Win or lose they're doing this together. They were good friends and both never gave up.

" Ready Max, Windy?" she asked her dogs. They both both looked at her and wagged their tails, and barked.

" Are you ready, Katie?" Len asked as he walked into her stall/room.

" As ready as I'll ever be, Len." Katie replied

" Ok you know the plan. You go in through the back, I'll go in through the side. I'll go to the phone, you try to get them into a room. Lock em' in and we'll wait until the cops come. Any questions?"

" Yeah, how do I force them all into one room?"

" You're a smart girl, you figure it out."

"Great"

They walked out of the barn with the dogs following. Katie went to the back of the house and entered through an open window. Max and Windy follow in. Her blood was rushing. The adrenelen was kicking in. She took the pistol out of its holster, she wasn't going to use her whip until she had to. Then she heard footsteps. She moved into a corner. Then she saw the McGowns, and their friends, they were pushing a group of men toward the door. Three of the four men she reconized. She gasped. The A-team! Col. Smith, Lt. Peck, and Sgt. Baracas. she thought. She'd seen their pitchures on the walls at school,and the Post office. They suposibaly killed a Genaral in Afganistan, but Katie distantly beleved they were inocent.

" Well, well it looks like we just found the legendary A-team." Mr. McGown said. " Well soon you're going to be nothng but a myth."

" Oh really. I always wanted to be a legand." Col. Smith said " and I think we'll be legands a little longer."

" I don't think so." Mrs. McGown sneered " We know your tricks, Smith, that's why your men are going to see you die. Then they'll die."

" Nice known ya' Hannibal." Lt. Peck said.

" Faith Lietunnet" Col. Smith replied, grinning.

" Well Hanibal it's kinda hard to have faith when you know we're finished" Sgt. Baracaus said.

They're going to kill the A-team! I've gotta save em'. She put the pistol back in it's holster, and grabed her whip.From then on she was on autopiolt. She did what Len had always taught her to do. The whip flew out and knocked the gun out ot McGown's hand. It slashed right in front of the group. They crumbled in fear. Then Len came charging in from the other room, and fired his rifle at the ceiling.

" Ok, everybody freeze!" he shouted.

" What the...." Mr. McGown said. He seemedlost for words.

" Your game's up McGown" Len said " Katie untie the A-team." She silently walked over and untied them.

" Thanks, My name's Hannibal, This is B.A., Faceman, and H.M. Murdock." Col. Smith said pointing first to a tall, muscular, black man with a mohawk and a ton of gold chains around his neck. He had a beard and a mustasch. He looked like he'd eat steel just for kixs. He looked a lot like the actor, Mr. T. The second man was just a little taller than Len he was thin and had blond hair. He was also very hansome. Katie guessed that he had at least four girlfriends. He look vaugly like Dirk Benidict. The third man was thin, he wore a black baseball cap, and a very worn brown leathe jacket. He looked like Dwight Shutz, an actor she'd seen on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Col. Smith or Hannibal as he called himself wore a tan jacket, and black leather gloves. His hair was white and his face was weathered with years of decatided service to the millatary. To Katie he looked like an actor, George Peppard.

" I'm Len and this is Katie." Len said introducing them.

" Now that we're all introduced lets find a place to tie up these slime balls" Hannibal said

" Hey! Who you calling...." Mr. McGown started but he was cut off by Max and Windy who had started barking at him.

"There's a barn we don't use I'll show you it." He turned to Katie " Check on the horses will ya'" Len led the A-team and their captives to the empty barn while Katie walked toward the paddocks. She saw most the horses were grazing contently, but one who was running freely about the lanes.

" Oh boy,... Houdini's loose" she muttered. She ran back to the barn to get a lead rope, and Rose's bridle.

When she had the bridle and lead rope she hurried toward Rose's paddock. Then she saw Len and the A-team walk out of the unoccupied barn.

"Len! Houdini's loose!" she yelled to him, as she hurried into Rose's paddock. As soon as she whisled Rose came galloping up. When she stopped in front of Katie she quickly bridled the filly, and lead her out of the paddock.

"Ok girl" she said as she mounted " Time to cach Houdini."

She imeaditly asked Rose for a gallop and Rose responded as if they were breaking from a gate. She quickly gained on Houdini but he decided to do a little jumping. He sprang over a five-foot hedge like it was a cavalletti, but Rose sprang over it still in hot pursuit. Katie knead her hands along Rose's neck asking for more speed as Houdini sprang over another hedge. She quickly got into the two-point jumping position Len had taught her for riding bareback. When they landed Rose rushed toward Houdini and quickly pulled up beside him. Katie quickly hooked the lead rope to his halter.

"Houdini, Rose WHOA!" She said turning them in a circle. they slowed to a canter, then to a trot. They troted back toward the group. When they got to the group, Katie dismounted and led the horses away. A-team walked along with her.

"We were wondering, if you'd like to come along with us." Hannibal said.

"Len told us how you ended up here." BA added.

" Why?" Katie asked sharply. Live with the A-team?

" Well you seem to have as much trouble with the government as we do." Face answered.

" And the way you saved us."Murdock put in.

" What about Max and Windy, my dogs?" Katie asked.

" They can come too. Murdock would like some friends for his dog, Billy." Hanibal replied

" Alright" Katie agreed.

" Ok, then get packing." Hannibal said " We leave in 15minutes." I'm going to be living with the A-team she thought as she walked toward the barn.

Katie, accept every challenge. Your future will be brighter from here. A voice said. Life's an adventure. Rember you only get one, live it to it's fullest.

Mom, Katie smiled. But then reallity struck. She'd never see Rose again. She'd never race Sweetie in the Triple Crown. Suddenly she wasn't so sure about living with the A-team. "Accept every challenge" I have to go, my fate is even more uncertain here. She packed up her sleeping bag, and the rest of her belongings. Then she lugged her bag to the drive. She went up to Rose's paddock.

"Oh Rose" Katie said as she threw her around the roan fillys neck."I'll never see you again girl. This is good-bye forever. Be good for your new owners, who ever they are. I love you Red Rose." Then Sweetie trotted over to see what was going on.

" Sweetie, when you grow up rember to win as many races as you can boy." she said as she hugged the black colt. " I may never ride you but rember you're the best horse ever." Katie walked out of the paddock and said good-bye to all of the horses. Then she walked to the drive.

" Is this it?" BA asked. Katie nodded.

" Time to go" Hannibal said. Katie whisled to Max and Windy. Max gladly hoped into the black and red van, but Windy was hesitent. With an encouraging bark from Max she lept into the van. Katie climbed in after Face and Murdock. She climbed in the back and was silent the whole ride. Unbeknown to the A-team she was thinking about her father, trying to anwser the same questions she'd asked herself a year ago.

"We've got a job" Hannibal annoced in the van. It had been a month since Katie left Montana. Since then she hade found out a lot about why the A-team had been in Montana. they had been hired by Mrs. Sweete. Her husband had been involved with smoking crack and beating Kaite. She wanted to have the A-team stop her husband.

Katie had been involved with a couple missions. She found out that the A-team always come out on top no mater what. The A-team was being chased by a Col. Lynch all the time. All of the missions had been interesting. This one would probably be no different.

" Ok team" Hannibal said as he always did before he brefed the rest of the A-team " This mission's not going to be that different from the rest execpt that we've been hired by an event rider." Katie perked up as soon as she heard the term event rider. This is going to be fun, and maybe I'll get to ride. Katie thought.

" The same as usual, Thugs? Money? Drugs?" Face asked halfheartidly.

" Of course Litennet. It wouldn't be fun other wise. Oh and Face, we need Murdock for this" Hannibal said.

" Great" Face anwsered. "BA, can you drop me off at my apartment?"

" Sure thing, but remember to tell that crazy man to leave his imaginary dog in his room." BA anwsered.

"This's the place guys."Hannibal said as they pulled into a stable drive. When they got out Max and Windy were pulling at their leashes. Katie smiled faintly. At least they're eager she thought.

"You must be the A-team" a girl about fifteen said as she walked toward them. She was about five foot-three, slim and athletic. He auburn hair was tied up in a loose ponytail. She wore jeans and paddock boots. She carried a helmet underneath her arm.

" Ah Miss. Nelson, I'm Hannibal Smith, this is BA Baracus, Templeton Peck, Capt. HM Murdock, and Katie Johnson." Hannibal said pointing to each member.

" You can call me Sussie and I'm glad you're here. I don't know how much more we could stand." Miss. Nelson said. Then they heard gravel crunching, and three blue pickups pulled into view.

"Oh no" Susie whispered. The trucks came to a halt in front of them, and men got out of them.

" Hey Susie!" One of the men yelled. "Why don't ya' quit. You know you can't beat us."

" This is private propertiy Jack, your trespasing" Sussie said.

" What are you going to do? Sick the law on us?" Jack said " Rember accedents happen. Like one of your horses spooks and throws his rider. Or one of your horses trips..."

" Looks like we have some pests to exterminate." Hannibal cut in.

" Who are you?" Jack asks.

" We're the exterminators we........" Hanibal was cut off when a black filly bolted and rampaged toward Sussie. It hits her square in the shoulder. She fell to the ground with a sickening thud.

" Just like that!" Jack yelled snickering.He and his men got in their trucks and drove off.

"Are you alright?" Face asked Sussie.

" Yeah, I think so" She said weakly. The A-team led Sussie to the house while Katie took the horse to the stable.

" Oh thank god you caught Angel" a groom said " We've been worried about her. I'll take her from here by the way I'm Jilly."

" My name's Katie and if you don't mind I'd like to groom her. All you need to do is tell me where her stall is and where her brushes are. It seems like you need to concerntrate on your horse." Katie said pointing to a bay colt biteing his crossties.

" Her stall's number 27. Her grooming supplies should be next to her stall." Jilly said." By the way, are you a new rider?"

"No, I'm here to stop those men who are terorizing Sussie" Katie replied as she put Angel in crossties. She quickly found stall 27 and grabed Angel's brushes. Grabbing the currycomb she started brushing Angel.

"Hey Jilly could you come here for a sec?" Katie asked.

" Whats the problem?" Jilly asked as she walked over.

" Was this here before?"

"No. She must have gotten it when she got loose."

"I doubt it. This isn't a scratch, it looks more like a punture wound"

"How could she hav gotten it?"

" It's ovis. Someone let her out of her paddock, took a knifeand used it to make her charge right into Sussie."

"Sussie was hit?!"

"Yeah, that's how I caught Angel." Katie said as she led Angel to her stall, and put back her brushes.

"Let's see how Sussie is doing" Jilly said hurrying up to the house, Katie followed closely. Katie followed Jilly through the house to the living room, where the A-team was waiting.

"Where have you been, Katie" Face asked " and who's your friend?"

"I was putting away the runnaway, and this is Jilly. She wanted to see how Sussie was doing" Katie said sharply

" Sussie fractured her collar bone." Hannibal said.

" I wonder why that horse bolted." Murdock mused "When you caught her see calmed right down."

" While I was grooming her I found a punture wound. Jilly verafided that it wasn't there before." Katie said "Which means that it was set up and someone doesn't want Sussie to compete in whatever show she's going in." Then Sussie and a doctor came out of the next room. Sussie's arm was in a sling.

" Thank you Dr. Hoover" Sussie said. The doctor nodded to her and walked out of the room.

" What did he say?" Jilly asked eargery.

" No riding for six weeks" Sussie sounded disaponted.

" But the show's Saturday! You've got to ride!" Jilly exclamed " We can't let Jack beat us like this! He set it up. One of his men made Angel charge."

" But I'm the only one who can ride Angel."

" Your friend's right you can't let these slime balls walk all over you" Hanibal said. "Isn't there anyone else who can ride?"

" What bout Katie?" Jilly asked. "I saw how she made Angel stop dead in her tracks."

" And Angel seemed to like her." Sussie recalled.

" How about it Katie?" Hannibal asked.

"Sure" Katie agreed." But it takes forever for a horse and rider to work in peace"

" That's why we should start now." said Sussie." I can watch you school her in dressage."

" Fine by me" Katie agreed.

"While the two of you work on riding we'll find out why these slimeballs don't want Sussie to compete so badly" Hanibal aknowledges. Sussie, Jilly and Katie make their way down to the barn while the guys do some reaserch.

"These guys sure don't want Katie to compete" Face said the morning of the event. Katie and Jilly were braiding Angel's mane.

" Katie" Hanibal said " If they hit they're going to do it during the show." Katie nodded as she finished braiding Angels mane. She was wearing ovarals over her breechers, and her hair was in a tight ponytail.

" You better change"Sussie said.

"I was going to do that." Katie said as she walked into the trailer changing room. Five minutes later she emerged wearing beige breechers, and a Navy blue riding jacket. With her helmet under her arm she walked toward the Judge's tent to sign-in.

" Katlyn Johnson" She said to the judge.

" On..." The judge asked

"Angel Eyes"

"You're number 25. You ride tenth in dressage, fourteenth in cross cuuntry, and twenty-first in show jumping"Katie walked away to warm up Angel.

"Number 25, Angel Eyes ridden by Katlyn Johnson."said the annoccer. Enter at a working trot,sitting. Halt at X and salute. Working trot, sitting 10 meters to E. Working trot, posting to C. Canter in a serpintine to L. Extended canter 30 meters to E. Extended walk to L. Walk to X. Halt and salute. Katie felt like she was on autopiolt the whole time. When she rode out of the ring she was greeted with a wave of congratiolations.

" Good job, Katie." Sussie said. " you had the best so far."

" Thanks" Katie said as she dismounted and led Angel away. But Jack stood in her path.

" Well, well, well what do we have here?" Jack asked " You should have listened to me Sussie."

" I don't think so pal." Hannibal said. "I told you guys. The rat always comes back for the cheese."

"There they are officer!" Jilly screamed pointing to Jack and his group. " those are the men who stole my purse."

"Ok buddy, you and your friends are underarest for theift." the officer said. " All of you, put your hands on the trailer."

Before they left the officer found a small packet of coccane on each man.

" I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal claimed.

The next day Katie found herself in the starting box waiting for the starter to sound.

"Three,...Two,...one, Go!" Katie backed out of the box and let Angel canter to the first jump, an oxer. Three, two, one squeeze.They were up and over the oxer. On to a hill with a five-foot triple bar. Three, two, one and up. They flew over the jump. When they landed they soared up the hill. Next was an Irish Bank. Three, two, one and up Angel jumped up the bank and was suprised to see a sudden gate jump but took it head-on bounding over with a single thrust. The bank ended aburuptly and Angel pulled back for a second to position herself to slide down the muddy slope. I'm not going to spill on this course.After the dizzying hill they came to a coffin jump, followed by a coop. She let Angel gallop After they sailed over the water jump. The last jump was a stone wall that Angel took like it was just a small cross rail. Katie crouched low over Angel's withers as they crossed the finish line.

Angel's coat was drenched in sweat, and gleamed dulleyin the sun when Katie pulled her into a trot. She quickly dismounted and threw the reins over Angel's head. Even though she was drenched in sweat Angel still held her head high. Sussie, Jilly and the rest of the A- team came running up.

"Good job Katie. I'll take her from here." Jilly said as she took Angel's reins and led her off.

"Tell me, Katie, how did you do that? It looked like magic." Murdock said.

" It was just practice Murdock" Katie replied.

"Weren't you scared?" Face asked.

" I made up my mind that I wasn't going to spill on the Irish Bank but other wise no"Katie anwsered.

" Number 25, Angel Eyes ridden by Katlyn Johnson no falts." the annocer said.

That afternoon Katie rode into the showjumping ring. She saluted the judges and gave Angel the signal to canter. They headed toward a parrelell and cleared it. Then a spread, an oxer, a brush jump, and then finally a triple beam. They finished the course with no faults.

" We are pleased to annoce that this years the winner is number 25, Angel Eyes, ridden by Katlyn Johnson. Second, number 27, Macy Day, ridden by Lessa Whin, and In third is number 12, Grand Duchuss, ridden by Brad Heartny" The judge said.

Katie was beaming as she took the trophy from the judge, and led the victory gallop. This is for you Sussie. Thanks for bringing me and the A-team closer together.

Chapter 3

A Ride to Victory

Katie was wondering around the Santa Ana track an early Saturday morning in March. I'm going to be in there soon. She thought. She was 15, 16 on May 31st. She had always wanted to be a jockey.

All of a sudden a pure white colt bolts and rampaged toward her. She stood planted in the ground, her heart pounding wildly in her chest. Recalling the advice Len had told her years ago she stood rooted in the spot, ready to jump out of the way if she couldn't stop the horse.

"WHOA!!" She screamed. The horse came to a sliding stop two feet in front of her. She quickly grabb hold of his halter and led him in a circle. Rapid footsteps came up behind her.

" Thank you for catching Snow." a voice said. She turned to see a man in his late twenties, with brown hair, he was about five-seven. He easyly towered over Katie who was five-three.

"Your welcome" Katie replied." He's a sweet boy anyway."

" Yeah " the trainer agreed. " My name's Ian McLean. I'm his owner/trainer."

" My name's Katie Johnson" Katie introduced herself.

" Are you looking for a job?" Lan asked. " I need a groom."

"Sure"

" Alright. If you'll follow me we'll get you your pass" Katie followed Ian as he led Snowball toward the backside. He waved to the guard who nodded them in. Ian led Katie to his stabling. He put Snowball into an empty stall, and then led Katie to his office.

"If you'll sign this I'll get your pass so you can come here anytime." Ian said, giving her a pen. Katie signed it and handed it back to Ian.

"Ok, I'll show you the horses so you can get started." He led Katie out of his office.

"This is Laffeet." He said pointing to a brown colt. " And of course you know Snowball. I'll let you get started while I get your pass." He strode off, down the isle.

" I'd better get started." Katie said as she grabbed a wheel barrol. She took a lead rope and unhooked the latch to Laffeet's stall. After hooking him to crossties she got to work mucking out his stall. When she finished the stall she grabbed a currycomb and started brushing him. When Ian got back she was just refilling Snow's haynet.

"I'm impresed" Ian said, amazed" My last groom only slept in. Here's your pass"Handing her a pass. Katie took it.

"Where were you all day?" Face asked when she got home at six o'clock.

" You were supposed to make dinner." Hannibal said.

"Sorry guys" Katie replied"I was at the track"

"Until six?" Hanibal asked.

"I'm a groom now." She replied.

"I hope this isn't going to affect school" Hannibal said.

" Not at all." Katie replied. "I wake up at four-thirty. Go to school at seven-thirty. Do my homework at the barn and get home at six."

"Ok" Face said, "but what about dinner?"

The next morning Katie was up at four-thirty. She left waffles out with a note on them:

Guys,

If you can't figure out how to cook these then you really need help. If somthing comes up you can reach me at 781-930-4593 ask for me. If they want to know who it is say Larry Johnson.[ He's supposed to be my father.] See ya' at six.

-Katie

P.S. Don't let Face cook. He'll just set it on fire.

When she got to the track the guard examined her pass closly and then let her through. She walked to Ian's stabling. When she got there Snow and Laffeet greeted her with eager neighs. She laughed and headed to the feed room. After measuring out both colts feed she changed their water, and mucked out their stalls. When she had Snowball in crossties grooming him Ian stormed out of his office.

"Don't saddle them, Katie" he said angerly "Their jockey quit."

"If you want I could ride them." Katie said timidly. "At least until you find another jockey."

You know how to ride a race horse?" Ian asked hopefully.

"Yeah. I've been riding since I was four."

"Good. You can borrow my helmet. Be on the track in fifteen minutes." Katie quickly groomed Snowball and tacked him up. Ian gave her a helmet on her way out to the track. When she got to the track it was full of galloping horses.This is where I'm ment to be. Katie thought.

"Jog him around a couple times to warm him up, then canter him around once. After that come back for galloping instructions." Ian instructed as he gave Katie a leg up. Katie nodded as she fastened her chinstrap and headed on to the track. Snow pranced around but finnally settled down when Katie soothingly placed her hand on his neck. When she asked him for a canter he picked up a nice relaxed canter. Katie smiled as she stood in the sturups leaning forward with the slight rocking canter. After a conplete circut she jogged Snow over to Ian.

"Gallop him half a mile. Then breeze him a quarter." Ian instructed. Katie nodded and headed toward the inside lane. She asked Snow for a gallop and he ran almost unseating Katie, but she hung on and slowed him a little. When she saw the half mile pole she asked him for his all.

"Go Snow!" she screamed. He responded with imeadate speed. He gained speed with each stride. When they reached the marker Katie brought him back to a trot, and headed toward the gap.

"That was amazing" Ian said as Katie hoped off Snow. "That's the fastest he's ever run"

"What's our time?" Katie asked.

" Fifty-four and five tenths. Thirty-two for the first half, and twenty-two and five tenths on the last quarter." Ian replied. "How old did you say you where?"

"I'll be sixteen the last of May, why?"

"Because I think I just found my new jockey"

" But jockeys are supposed to be sixteen."

"The stewards probably won't mind because your practilly sixteen. What about it?"

"Sure."

"Great I'll arange your test. How does tommorw sound?"

"Sure, as long as it's not before two-fifteen"

"Perfect. You can ride Snow."

The next day Katie brought her helmet and books to the track. After school she ran to the track. Showing the guard her pass she walked to Ian's stableing. There she found Snow groomed and, waiting paitiently. She huged him, grabed the saddle and then went to the steward's office. They weighed her in and to their suprise she weighed only ninety-three pounds saddle and all.

When they got to the track Ian was waiting at the gap holding Snow. She handed him the saddle and he quickly put it on Snow and then he gave her a leg up and led them to the gap where a ponyrider was waiting. He led them once around the track at a jog then a canter. When they finished the warmup he led them to the gate.

"Good luck" He said unhooking the lead.

"Thanks" Katie replied, steering Snow into the gate. Once in the gate she crouched into the position Len had taught her those many years ago. This is it. Let's go.

The gates flew open, she and Snow flew out as one. She steered him toward the inside rail, pulling him up after three furlongs. The Ponyrider caught up with her and hooked Snow's bridle.

"Good Job." He said.

"Thanks" Katie replied as they reached the gap. She dismounted when a steward came up.

"Congratiolations Miss. Johnson. You passed." He said. Handing her a piece of paper."Show this to the stewards at your next race."

"Thanks" She said taking the paper. Finnaly she was acheving her dream of being a jockey.

"This is it" she said to herself, looking in a mirror. The reflection of a young jockey stared back at her. She was wearing the red and white diamond patern of Ian's farm. Her helmet had a red and white striped cover. She had tied her long golden hair back into a french braid. Her boots were freshly polished. Unlike many of the other jockeys she didn't carry a crop, because Snow hated them. She grabbed Snow's saddle and headed toward the weigh in.

After she walked into the tunnel leading to the walking ring she had butterflies in her stomach. I've gotta do this for Ian and Snow. She thought. In the walking ring she admired the langy colts. Stareing at the odds board she saw that she and Snow were the least favorite woth odds 50-1. We'll show them. she thought as she walked over to Ian. Snow looked beautiful. His snow white coat shone in the bright midday sun. She handed the tiny racing saddle to Ian and held Snow while he put it on.

"Alright Katie" Ian said. " You've drawn the number 4 position which is good because of Snow's running style. Keep him away from the pack and try not to get him boxed in. That was his problem last time. The chesnut colt with the four white socks is King Devil he has a good closing kick. He's drawn a number 7 position. The grey colt, Just Shine is a real front runner. He can stay up front for a good five furlongs. Those are the only guys to worry about but other wise you'll be fine." He finised as he gave her a leg up. A pony rider led them through the post parade and the warmup. It was the sameone who had ponnied her in her gate test.

"Good Luck." He said as he uncliped the lead rope on Snow's bridle. She walked him into the gate. Snow pranced around in the gate but soon settled down when she laid a soothing hand on his neck. Then came the call that the last horse had been loaded. Everything was silent then the bell rang and the gates burst open. Snow leaped out and got a spot right on the rail. He was running sixth in a field of twelve.

" And Just Shine has taken the lead followed by Miracle Street in second with Sierra in third....." Katie paid no atention to the annocer. They were comeing off the first turn and King Devil was making his move. She angled Snow along the rail and asked for more speed. He responded with a burst of speed. He moved up to third, then second. Just Shine was tireing but then King Devil came to chalenge them. Just Shine quickly droped back past Snow. Now it was only Snow and King Devil. They fought for first and Snow started pulling ahead. He was ahead by a lenth then two, then three.

"Go Snow Go!" She screamed. They swept under the wire five lenths ahead of King Devil, and the rest of the field.

"And Snowball wins by five lenths!" the annocer screams. "Going in as the least favorite Snowball shows how much heart it takes to win. His jockey, Katie Johnson is only an apprentince and this is her first race." Katie quickly slowed Snow who barely seems to be winded. The ponyrider caught up and led them to the winner's circle. This is only a first in the many. Katie thought as she weighed out. Snow and I will be in the winner's circle many more times.

"Could I talk to you guys?" Katie asked. It was April 25. She and Snow had won the Santa Anna Handicap last Saturday. She needed their permision go to the Kentucky Derby. Since their first race she and Snow had domonated the track, winning over six races.

"What is it?" Hannibal asked, sitting on the couch in their relitivly small living room. Decker's replacement, Col. Briggs had found Face's apartment, and he'd almost not gotten out.

"I was wondering" Katie started" If you guys would mind if I went to Kentucky for the Derby."

"Why? Is it for a field trip? Face asked.

" No." Katie replied " A horse I groom is entered in the Derby, and the other one is racing on Derby day."

"Can't your employer get another groom?" BA asked.

"No" Katie replied a little too quickly" I'm the only one he listens to. If I don't go he doesn't go and there's only one Derby."

"I suppose" Hannibal said "As long as you promise to call. Is your horse entered in the Preakness?"

"Yeah, the Belmont too." Katie replied " Preakness is on May 18th. Belmont's June 8th. And the Derby's on the 4th."

"I suppose that you can go to both. The Belmont won't be a problem with school as long as you call." Hannibal said. " We'll write you a note."

Katie stepped off the plane with Ian at the Louvisille Airport. It was very crowded on the Saturday afternoon. They had flown a direct flight since the horses hadn't flown before, and Ian wasn't takeing any chances. They walked toward the loading dock to see the horses. A horse trailer was waiting just as aranged. Two grooms were leading Snow and Laffeet toward the trailer. They were prancing around after three hours on a plane but seemed no worse for wear. Ian handed the supervisor the papers and motchined Katie into the cab.

At Churchhill Downs they led the horses into their stalls. Ian had hired another groom before the Santa Annta named Harry Briggs. He liked horses more than people and was great with Snow and Laffeet. He promised to keep an eye on them while they surrved the track and took a look at the compitition. They walked around, looking at the track and the horses.

"Your main compition will be Reesey Heart who's owned by Cedarwood Farms, King Devil who has finnaly become a grade-one stakes winner, Just Shine, and Last Laugh owned by Kingsly Stables." Ian informed her.

"You trying to make me more nervious?" Katie asked. Ian laughed as they walked toward the barn that held Last Laugh and Reesy Heart. Last Laugh was a sturdy, dark bay colt. His elegant head was crowned with a small cresant star. Reesy Heart was a liver chesnut filly who pranced around gracefully in her stall. She had a neat white stripe in the middle of her elegantly shaped head. In the barn nextdoor held King Devil and Just Shine. They both looked as elegant as ever.

The next morning Katie worked Laffeet and Snow. Both put on spectactular peformances. She stayed to watch Just Shine, King Devil, Reesy Heart, and Last Laugh. To Katie's disapointment they all put on spectactular workouts. They were the main compteters. She and Snow had defeated Just Shine in the Santa Anna, but he hadn't given up easily. The last time they had raced King Devil it was in the Cherry Cup, a Grade-Two race back in early April. He had recantly won the Louainna Derby. Reesy Heart had won the Flamingo Stakes, and Last Laugh had won the Bluegrass Stakes.

That night she fell onto her bed and grabbed the phone, dialing the apartment. It rang a few times before Hannibal picked it up.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hi Hannibal." Katie said. "What's up?"

"Well since you left Face's trying to cook, with little success I might add." He replied. "How's the horses?"

"Snow and Laffeet both worked briliantly but so did the compition."

"Well you can't have everything, right?"

"Yup."

"Katie, I've gotta go. Face just sent the food on fire."

"Bye" she said as she hung up the phone.

She felt a sudden longing to be with them. They had shared a specal bond since Sussie Nelson had hired them three years ago. They were like her family. Hannibal was like a father when he had first heard her cry herself to sleep one night. BA was like an older brother who always encourged her to do her best. Face was like another older brother who helped her with homework and tuttored her when she needed it. Murdock was like a younger brother who fooled around a lot. They had taught her how to be a sniper. When she had missed her mother they had been there for her.

Katie and Ian walked to the main building at the track for the auction. Ian had picked out Sweete! Katie didn't let him know she knew the colt for the purpose that he wasn't supposed to know she was an orphan. At the stalls Ian had liked Sweete. He thought that he would turn around. The only problem was that Ian only had ten-thousand dollars. Most of the horses would go for at least three times that.

Once the auction started the horses went quickly. A grey colt had went for a hundred-thousand that she thought would only go for ten-thousand. Then Sweetie came up.

"This here, ladies and gentlemen, is a fine colt by Sweet Life, out of Just Magic. He was bred on a farm that was previously a raceing stable. We'll start at five thousand." The auctioner said. A card went up. "Five-thousand. Do I here five-thousand five hundred?" He asked another card went up. Then a shout came from the back of the room.

"Nine-thousand five hundred!" It said.

"Do I hear ten-thousand? Going once, twice" Ian raised his card. "Ten-thousand! Do I here Ten-thousand five-hundred?" No hand went up. "Going once, going twice, going three times and sold to number forty-nine!" Ian had just bought Sweetie!

Katie was in the jockeyroom getting changed for Laffeet's race. She was a basket case. Running to the phone she dialed the apartment. Hannibal and BA would give her all the encourgement she needed. They didn't have to know she was a jockey but she could tell them the truth. She was scared about the races.

"Hello?" BA asked.

"Hi B.A." Katie said.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Well I'm kinda nervious about the race."

"Don't be. Your horses are going to win."

"Thanks, I needed that. I've been a basket case all day"

"Glad to help. I've gotta go. We've got a job, and Hannibal's on the jazz."

"Ok, bye" she hung-up the phone and grabbed Laffeet's sadle and headed out to the walking ring. Ian and Laffeet were waiting for her in a stall. He put on the saddle while Harry held Laffeet.

"Ok Katie." Ian said. "Take him to the front. This is only a five furlong race so he can handle it. Watch out for Greater Heart, he's a good front runner. Don't get into any early speed duels. Laffeet'll burn out too soon." He warned as he gave her a leg up. She nodded in response and led Laffeet toward the starting gate. He was in the fifth slot so she'd have to get him out quickly. Once in the gate she crouched low over his withers, waiting for the bell and the gates to burst open. They did a second later and Laffeet burst out like a rocket, but he stumbled almost unseating Katie. They were in dead last! She urged Laffeet faster and he responded. They were only two lenths from the leader and on the fourth furlong! Katie quickly knead her hands along his neck asking for more speed. He ran up and beagan to beatdown on Greater Heart. Suddenly they were neck and neck. Then they flashed under the wire. She stood up in the sturrups looking at the board which was flashing"Photo Finish". Seconds later it showed the results. They had won by a head bob! She led Laffeet toward the winner's circle.

"Great job." Harry said as she dismounted and took of the saddle. She smiled back at him as she went to weigh-out.

She sat in the gates waiting for the doors to fly open. Snow snorted and pawed the ground under her. the doors flew open and they were out. Snow imeditly took sixth on the rail. He had a good spot for his later surge.

"Just Shine's in first followed by Sing Song, Last Stand is in third, with King Devil and Last Laugh fighting for fourth. Snowball in sixth with Reesy Heart in seventh and around the first turn...." the annoccer was drowned out by hoofbeats behind her. Only a look under her arm told her that Reesy Heart was gaining. She asked Snow for more. It was time to start gaining! Last Laugh and King Devil were moving up but Snow was quickly gaining. Just Shine dropped back past Snow. Sing Song pulled ahead but quickly succumb to the presure. Last Laugh, Reesy Heart, King Devil, and Snow were all in a speed duel! Then Last Laugh's jockey pulled him up. Katie didn't have time to think about it. King Devil and Reesy Heart were still fighting for the lead. She knew Snow had more to give, he hadn't even reached top gear yet! He moved up to the lead. He was ahead by a lengh, two lenghs, three lenghs. They flashed under the wire a good five lenghs ahead of Reesy Heart and King Devil! As she slowed Snow down she happened to glance at the board and saw that they had just beaten the track record set by the legendary Secretariat! A pony rider led them to the winner's circle. This is the best day of my life! She thought as she dismounted to weigh-in. Back in the saddle she smiled for the camra and thought. This is going to be how the rest of the Triple Crown is going to be like.

It was a week before the Classic and Katie was a nervious wreck. She and Snow had won the Triple Crown and were considered the best jockey-horse team on Earth. She was considered one of the best jockeys in the country for riding Snow in the Triple Crown and winning.

Of the Breeder's Cup races she was riding in four. Snow in the Classc, Laffeet in the Sprint, Sweetie in the Turf, and a filly Ian had bought at a bankruptcy sale, Sterling Dream in the Juvinile Fillies. The only problem was that a bunch of punks had been trying to force Ian to sell Snow. Ian had gone back to L.A. to get some help. Harry had picked them up from the airport yesterday. She was worried it was the A-team. They didn't know she was a jockey. For all they knew she was just a groom. It wasn't that she had lied to them, she had always told them the truth. Horses she groomed were racing. They didn't know that she had won a car in the Derby or that she had won over fifty-thousand dollars in race purses. She knew that they would eventually have to tell them.

After tacking up Snow she put on her helmet and led Snow out to the track. Ian was waiting for her at the gap, he had decided to watch some other work-outs. He nodded to her as he gave her a leg up. That ment the usual, warm him up then gallop him half a mile and breeze him the last half. She steered Snow onto the track warming him up. After the warm-up she steered him toward the inside rail, getting ready to gallop. Once she gave him the signal Snow burst into a gallop, tugging on the reins, wanting more rein. She smiled, this is what she loved doing. Being on a thoroughbred, galloping down the track. At the half mile marker she asked him to change gears and he gladly switched into a full racing gallop. They tore down the track. In a matter of seconds they were at the half-mile marker. She pulled Snow back to a canter and troted over to the gap, a smile spreading across her face. But it dissapeared the second she saw the A-team. They were standing at the rail with Ian.

"So your here as a groom?" Face asked as she dismounted.

"Katie, you lied to us" Hannibal said.

"I didn't lie to you." Kate replied" I told you that I was here with horses I groom, and I help groom the horses. You guys didn't ask about what I was doing so I didn't tell you."

"That makes sense" Murdock put in."We didn't ask so she didn't tell."

"That's right." Katie replied."Any way I've done so good on the track. I've won the Santa Anta Derby and theTriple Crown, I'm one of the best jockeys in the country."

"Well next time tell us" Hannibal said to close the matter, turning toward Ian."Now we need to worry about these punks who want to buy your horse, Snowball."

"You don't need to wait much longer"Ian said pointing at three men walking toward them" Cause here they come." The men stop in front of them. The leader wore kakies and a blue, fleece shirt. The other two henchmen both wore red shirts and blue jeans.

"Well,well Ian" the leader said. "Are you ready to sign the horse over to us?"

"No Sam." Ian replied firmly " Snow is not for sale."

"Well I tried to be nice Ian, but it looks like I'm going to need to get a little rough." Sam said. He turned toward the A-team" You shouldn't be hanging around with these slime balls. How 'bout join'in me?"

"Sorry we only work for honest people." Hannibal replied

"Yeah." BA put in forcefully.

"We're just here to try and do bussiness" Sam said, putting his hands up in a mock surrender. "But we'll be back. I gurente it." he and his two henchmen walked away.

"You know their going to be back." Ian told Hannibal.

"That's what I'm counting on" Hannibal replied." Do you know why any one would want your horse?" he asked.

"Well Snow's won the Santa Anta, and the Triple Crown. Right now if I retired him he'd be worth more than you can imagine. Ispecially because he was a claimer turned stakes horse."

"A what?" Face asked a little confused.

" A claimer is a horse that races and can be purchused at the begining of the race, and a Stakes horse is a horse that races in high class races." Murdock replied.

"Where did you learn so much about horses?" B.A. asked.

"Well I've decided that when I get out of the hospital I want to be a trainer. So I've been reading the "Daily Racing Form". It's been saying 'Is Snowball going to take home the Gold?' They're really emphizing that his opponents haven't raced in a month."

"We're not worried at all." Katie replied as Harry led Sterling out. Ian gave her leg up.

"Warm her up then gallop half a mile then breeze her three furlongs" Ian instructed. Katie nodded as she steared Sterling onto the track. The warm-up went smoothly but then as they turned to gallop Sterling spooked. Throwing Katie over her head. She managed to hold onto the reins, but landed with a thud on her back. Rapid footsteps came closer to her. Harry grabed Sterling's reins as Ian helped her up.

"Want to quit?" Hannibal asked.

"That's part of the bussiness." Katie replied as she vaulted onto Sterling's back." You take some falls but you need to get back up." She canterd Sterling around the track to get her warmed up again. The rest of the work went perfectly. After she worked Sterling she worked Sweetie and Laffeet.

"So is this worth it?" Face asks after Katie finishes exersising Sweetie.

"Deffintily." She replied" Not just the purses but the excitment of racing a thousand pound animal around a track."

"What do you mean purses?" BA asks.

"Jockey's get money if they win a race. In some races the winning jockey get's a car." Katie replied.

"And how much have you won?" Hannibal asked.

"Fifty grand and a sports car" Katie replied. " The car's from the Derby and I've won the money from raceing four horses."

"You mean if I become a jockey I could get thousands of dollars?" Face asked seeming interested.

"Sorry Face but jocks gotta weigh less than one-ten." Katie repllied " But if you bought a horse and it won the Derby you'd get one-million."

It was the day of the Breeder's Cup races and the A-team had discoverid why the men had wanted Snow so badly. They were talking in the walking ring.

"I can't believe that they wanted him to cover up a murder." Ian said discusted.

"Well some people do horrible things" Hannibal agreed. Katie vaulted onto Snow's back. She had won all the races before. Ian was keeping the same game plan so there was no need to explain it. He just handed the lead to the ponyrider. He loaded like a prince and pranced around as Katie crouched low over his neck. They had drawn the number 2 position whitch would be a major disadvantage if Katie couldn't get him out fast enough. The gates suddenly flew open and with a powerful thurst of Snow's hindquarter's they were off! They quickly cleared the pack and took a good running position on the rail in third. Snow wasn't fighting for rein like he usally did. Instead he saved his strengh for when he needed it at the end. This is too easy but Katie quickly regretted her thoughts. Everything was happening at once. Last Laugh rushed up on their left side. Reesy Heart and King Devil where in front of her and suddenly she was boxed in. Stay calm. We just need to find an opening. Then she saw it. It was small but Snow would just be able to fit through it. She looked around for another opening to find none. Imeaditly she heeled Snow threw it. They were barely an inch from the rail, but Snow kept going. They burst around the second turn fighting for the lead. Then Katie gave Snow the signal to change leads and he responded with a burst of speed, taking the lead! Suddenly they flashed under the wire. She and Snow had just won the Breeder's Cup Classic!

Chapter 4

Forgotten Past of a Princess

Katie just recived a package of belongings she had asked for from her friends. Eighteen-year-old Katie was a sucessful jockey and the owner of a budding race horse named Majestic Heart. The trainer she worked for, Ian, owned her very first mount, Snowball. They had won both the Triple Crown and the Breeder's Cup Classic together. Ian also owned Laffeet, Sweet Magic, Sterling Dream, and had bought a filly named Queen Victoria. He had helped her train Heart. Thanks to him Heart was heading toward the Triple Crown. He had been a great friend when she had to put her dog, Max down after he was dignosed with lung cancer.

She thought of her friends as she opened the box. Megan had loved Invader Zim and Scooby Doo. She was always active and never sad. Jen and Megan had met because of Katie and were best friends. Jen, like Katie was shorter than Megan but never let her height get in the way. Sometimes she was sensitive and sometimes she was the center of attention. Nikki was Megan's best friend and always had something to add to the conversation. Even though she was afraid of spiders she was a good friend and always knew just what to say. The four of them had made an odd group but they were best buds.

The box contained pictures of Max, her mother,and her riding. There were a few trinkets and books. When she reached the bottem of the box she found a sealed envelope with her name on it. She put the envolope in her pocket and put the rest of the things in the box. Putting the box on Snow's grooming box before she walked toward Ian's office. He had wanted to see her after the works.

"Ah Katie please sit down." Ian said as soon as Katie walked into his office. "I need to tell you some news.'

"What kind of news?" she asked curiously.

"Well you see." he began" My parents just passed away and I need money for their funiral and final expenses... What I'm trying to say is I need to sell the horses" Katie was numb with shock. Ian sell the horses? She couldn't let it happen.

"I'll buy them" she volinteered. "I have the money I can pay you now."

"I'll take that offer." Ian smiled. "I'm glad they're going it a good person since I'm no longer going to train them. You see my parents introduced me to the track and it'll be too painful to be here." They signed the papers, and Katie payied Ian. As Ian walked out of the office reallity hit her. She owned the horses. Running out of the office she went into Snow's stall, and sat in the back corrner. She couldn't meet the guys to see their new client. They'd said his name was Micheal Johnson.

She rembered the envelope and pulled it out of her pocket. Examining it closely she identifid her mother's handwriting. Opening the envolope she found a letter inside, written by her mother a few days before she had died.

My Dearest Daughter,

If you're reading this I'm no longer among the living. And it also means I have failed to protect you. I must tell the truth, your father never died in a car crash. He is alive and his name is Micheal Johnson. I foolishly married him but I divorced before you were born. He is King of Scotland and the reason is not that for why I divored him. It was his brother who is now the Duke. He controls everything. Yes, that also means you are Princess, and the next in line to inherit the throne. Do your best not to let them find you. If they do find you don't succemb to the presure. You are stronger than you think. The Duke thinks he's in charge. Don't let him scare you. Stand up for what you belevie in. He has no power over you. The torn part of the letter you undoubtibly found was part of a letter he sent to me to beg me to forgive him. He also wanted you to go to Scotland and be educated there. Remember you must stand up for what you belevie in. I love you, and always will.

With Love,

Your mother,

Juliet Ashleigh Johnson

Katie couldn't beleve that her mother had hidden so much from her. Then she knew she couldn't let Micheal Johnson find her. He would take her away from all she held dear, the A-team, the horses, the track and her life that she had just begun to build after she left the McGowns.

Katie. A voice said. You must be strong. Never let them win. You will have some tuff times but never give up. Keep doing what you love to do and never let anything or anybody stand in your way.

Mom? Katie thought. Why did you hide so many things from me? How did you plan to tell me? I miss you so much.

Remember I may never be there in flesh but I'm always in your heart. Keep racing and you'll always be happy. The voice fadded as Snow nudged Katie's red-and-black jacket. Her colars. She looked at Snow and stared into his deep brown eyes. He was so loving, so trusting. She couldn't let him down. Then Murdock looked in the stall.

"Uh Katie I think you need to dicuss something with our client. He thinks your his..." Katie didn't give Murdock time to finish.

"He is my father." She replied."My mother hid who my father was for years but the truth is revieled." She stood-up and brushed the straw from her clothes. This was it, she was going to see her father. The one she had been wondering about for years. She walked out of the stall to see a man with the A-team. He was about six-foot, he was gaunt and rax-bowned. His face was the most distungushed, he had a hawk-shaped nose, with a rounded chin and straight, thin lips.

"Katie?" He asks. Turning toward her. The A-team watch them.

"Yes." She replies.

"It's good to see you. Your uncle has insits that we travel home imeaditly"

"What about Windy? And my horses?"

"There's a stable on the grounds. It has a training oval. My father put it there a few years before he died. Mycrofft and I never had much use for it. You can keep your horses there. My brother and I keep our racers on the other side of the grounds."

"Fine" Katie replied briskly walking past him. She needed to make flight arangements.

"I'll meet you at the airport Saturday." Her father said and walked out of the stable.

"Why were you like that?" Face asked. Katie handed him the letter and she continued collecting the horses' grooming supplies. Then she filled their tack boxes. It was Thursday, she had two days to pack.

"Face" She asked " Can you get me travel arangements for one person, six horses, and a dog?"

"Sure" Face said.

"Why didn't you say no?" Hannibal asked as Face disapeared into the office.

"Because I couldn't. He is rightfully my father and I'm not twenty-one." Katie replied.

As she stept off the plane she felt a sudden chill go up her spine. I shouldn't be here. She thought. I should be back in the apartment doing my report. She walked with her father toward a limo waiting out front. The limo ride was long and quiet. She sat next to her father who was silent. They reached a palace like none other that Katie had ever seen. She got out of the limo and wondered what to do next.

"I expect you'd like to see your horses." Her fater said.

"Sure" Katie replied.

"Ashleigh will show you the barn" he said motctioning toward a girl no older than her. She was wearing jeans and a blue-and-white jacket. Her long brown hair was up in a loose ponytail. Ashleigh bowed to Katie as she aproched.

"Welcome Your Majesty." She said.

"Please don't call me that." Katie replied. "I'm just another jockey concerned about my horses."

" Ok Your, I mean Katie." Ashleigh said leading her to a cart. They drove for a couple seconds then a huge stable came into sight. A huge training oval was sitting next to the three barns. Large green, grassy padocks. There were three blue-and-white barns in a line. A blue-and-white trailer was aproaching the barn. Ashleigh stoped the cart as the trailer came to a stop. Katie walked over to the trailer and unhooked the ramp. Sevral grooms hurriyed up to unload the horses. They were all wear in jeans and blue-and-white hats. One by one the horses were unloaded and led toward the middle barn. Ashleigh and Katie followed the grooms.

"What's this place called?" Katie asked Ashleigh as they walked into the middle barn.

"It's called Whitebrook Acres. Whitebrook for short. It used to be a raceing and breeding farm but it hasn't been used in a while." Ashleigh replied, rubbing Queen Victoria's forhead. The roan filly seamed to be enjoying the attention.

"And I'm guessing that blue-and-white were the colars?" Katie asked rubbing Queen Victoria's neck.

"Yeah. What are these guys names?" Ashleigh asked looking at Katie.

"This is Queen Victoria, Vicky for short." Pointing across the barn." this is Snowball, Snow for short. He's won the American Triple Crown, and the Breeder's Cup Classic two years in a row. The chesnut colt with the blaze is Majestic Heart, or Heart. He won the Juvennile. The gray filly is Sterling Dream, or Sterling. She's won the Juvinnile Fillies and the Distaff. The black colt is Sweet Magic, or Sweete. He won theTurf race the last two years. This is Laffeet, he won the Sprint two years in a row." Katie finished a little out of breath.

"These are race horses?" Ashleigh asked eagerly.

"Are you a jockey?" Katie asked.

"I want to be but my parents won't let me. The only way I could even work with horses was become a groom for the royal house."

"Well maybe I could teach you. Think about it. Would your parents mind if I taught you? I gladdly would."

"They probably wouldn't mind. I live at the edge of the grounds with them. They breed horses."

"Well if I'm going to make this a full racing stable I'm going to need some breeders. What do they breed?"

"Thoroughbreds. They mostly sell to small racing operations."

"Have any of the horses done anything on the track?"

"A couple are claimers. They're not very fast on the track but I know that they could be. If they only had the right trainer."

"Well I'm going to need a couple horses and claimers are my specialty. All of these horses you see here were claimers and now they're Grade-One Stakes winners." Katie said as they walked toward the track to inspect it."I'm going to need an extra exersise rider. How about it?"

"Sure." Ashleigh said. "I'll talk to my parents about letting you buy some stock. " They went on a tour of the farm.

Katie was in the grand ballroom waiting for her father and her uncle. If they didn't show in five minutes she was leaving. Then they walked in with three men behind them. Her uncle was over weight and partly bald. He hade a clean shaven face. The three men behind them walked in millatary formation.

"It is good to see you Katie" her uncle said. "I would like you to meet your bodyguards. Martin Smith, James Riggs and Roger Bond." Martin Smith was a black man in his late forties-early fiftys. He wore jeans and a light kakki jacket. James Riggs had brown hair that needed to be cut. He wore a red shirt and a loose gray jacket. Roger Bond reminded her faintly of James Bond 007. He wore a neat black tux. In Katie's oppion he looked like a perfect gentleman.

"Who says I need bodyguards?" Katie asked. Not too keen on having men protect her or try to.

"Every member of the Royal house must have them in case of a raid" her uncle replied.

"In a raid it just might be me that saves your butt. I've surrvived on the street for five years. I think I can protect myself." Katie replied about to walk away.

"Maybe but you still need protection. And I suggest you change out of those filthy clothes." Her uncle said.

"This is the most practial thing to wear when I work in a barn. Not a dress." she replied as she stomped off. She hurried down to a cart ready to drive to the barn. The three men hurried down after her and followed her. When she got to the barn she turned around toe face them.

"Why are you here?" she asked agurvated.

"You may not like it Your Highness but we're your body guards and it is our job to protect you." Bond said.

"Well if I have to deal with you at least call me Katie." she replied walking toward the barn with the men following.

It was the day of a very famous horse race. The race, The King's Derby, was the end of a series of races Katie had entered Snow in. He'd won them all so far. There were also a couple other races she had entered with Laffeet, a new filly, Hollywood Wonder and Heart. It was early April. After these races she'd ship Heart, Vicky, Snow and the new filly she'd bought from Ashleigh's parents, Holly. She was in the jockey room getting ready for Holly's race. Whitebrook was now a fully operational breeding and racing farm. It's colars were blue-and-white. She looked at herself in the mirror. The image of a young jockey stared back at her. She was wearing the blue-and-white diamond pattern of Whitebrook. Her long, golden hair was pulled back into a french braid, it was tucked neatly under her helmet which had a blue cover over the black felt. She grabbed Holly's saddle to weigh-out. Her uncle didn't approve of her racing but that didn't stand in her way.

In the walking ring she saw Ashleigh leading Holly. Holly was a small, chesnut filly with a tiny star on her forehead. Katie walked over to them and put on Holly's saddle. She and Ashleigh had decided on the stratigy before the race. They'd drawn the number five position which was a good advantge. She needed to get Holly clear of the pack and on the rail. The race was a mile and a sixteenth which was to Holly's liking. Katie vaulted onto Holly's back. She picked up the reins and led her to through the post parade. Holly quickly loaded into the gate and stood still as Katie crouched low over her withers. The gates flew open and the chesnut filly burst out and quickly got ahead of the pack. They were in third, a good position for Holly's style of running. The first turn came quickly and then they roared down the backstrech. Then the number 5 horse started to challenge them, all of a sudden they were boxed in! It wasn't not until the final 2 furlongs there was an opening. They soared threw it. She asked Holly for her all and she gave it. They soared under the wire a good three lenths ahead of the opponents!

Katie was brushing Heart after his race. He'd won by five lenths. She was going to ship him to America for the Triple Crown. Vicky, Snow, Laffeet, Holly and Sterling were going too. Vicky was entered in the Triple Tiara. Snow in the Man of War Stakes. Holly in the Travlers. Heart stomped his foot.

"What is it boy?" she asked him. Then she heard footsteps behind her then she heard all to fimalar voices.

"Hello Katie" Hannibal said as she spun around to see them.

"What are you guys doing here?" she asked a look of amazment on her face.

"We're here to see our horse." Face answered.

"Katie you......" Riggs said as He and Smith walked up "The A-team."He pulled a gun. Katie quickly got the gun from Heart's grooming box.

"Drop the gun Riggs" Katie said pointing the gun at his head.

"But"

"Drop the gun." He droped the gun. Her uncle, father and Bond walked up. "Don't even think about Bond" she said before he even has a chance to draw his gun.

"The A-team" her uncle stuttered.

"Yes the A-team" Katie replied as she led Heart to his stall."And if they're not good enough for you than nether am I."

"What are you doing here?" Bond asked.

"We're here because we wanted to check on our horse" Face anwserd in his bussniess like tone." Katie legaly owns him but she gives us most of his purse."

"And here's the check" she said, handing them the check. They walked out of the barn, with the body guards, the King and the Duke following. Then shots were fired and they all droped to the ground. Katie pulled out her 9mm. and rolled over to a rock. It was quiet.

"Ok spill it." Katie said to her father and uncle as she got up off the ground. " Who wants to kill you so badly?"

"Katie, you know how the government works." her uncle said.

"Yeah they're just a bunch of screwball idiots that think nothing of sending foster childern to foster parents that beat the crap out of them. Now tell me."

"Katie's trying to help you here." Hannibal put in.

"There is a terrost operation set on takeing over the country" her Father replied.

"Where did you get that inpresion of the government?" Her uncle asked.

"Because that's what happened to me. How did you think I met the A-team? I didn't meet them at the cleaners." Katie answered.

"He's on the jazz again." Face said looking at Hannibal. The whole A-team groaned.

"What's the plan Hannibal?" BA asks.

" How about we give these thugs a taste of there own medicane" Hannibal said turning to Katie."And I hope our sniper is ready."

"Of course" she replied.

"Wait a minute." her uncle said. "You are not going to sniper for these fugitives"

"Sorry but I've already made up my mind" she replied. "And if you wanted to stop me from being a sniper you should have tried five years ago."

"Blue goup to red group" Murdock said over the radio she had on her waist."Are you there?"

"Where else would I be Murdock?" she said over the headset she was wearing."Can you be quiet? I think they're coming up the road."

"Roger that." she scanned the horizion. A small jeep was coming up the road. It was topless and was camoflaged. All those hours of tireless training from the guys really helped. She was as still as humanly possible. The only sound was her breathing, but that was quickly drowned out by the sound of crunching gravel. The jeep was under the tree she was staioned in. Her mission was clear. Fire at the jeep , shoot the crossbow with the note on it, and not to get hit. As the men got out she aimed her airgun at the ground near their feet. She fired. The men jump back as she fired the crossbow. They fire back but she was out of range. Once they go she climbed down from the tree, and ran to a jeep she drove into the forrest. She drove onto the road and headed toward the Palace.

"Mission coplete Colonal." Katie said to Hannibal.

" Good job Katie" he said. "Now we wait."

"What do you mean we wait?" her uncle asked angerly. "They are ruthless killers. They're going to kill us."

"We want them to come so they can see we mean bussinss." Hannibal calmly replied.

"Ah Colonal. We don't need to wait much longer." BA told him. "Cause they're here."

"Katie get your gun. We're going to need it." Hannibal instructed as three camoflaged jeeps come up the road toward them. They stoped in front of them. Three men got out of each of the jeeps, each wore camoflge millatary uniforms.

"Well Your Highness" The leader said"It looks like you can't hear very well. We told you to to give up."

" I told you no, Christopher now please leave." Her father said.

"I don't think so pal." Christopher anwsered. "Right Pretty lady" He pulled Katie toward him.

"Would a 9mm. in your gut convince you?" Katie said as she pushed her gun against his ribbs.

"No." Christopher said as he knocked the gun out of her hands and put his pistol to her head. "Drop your guns or the girl dies." Then as everyone bent down to put down there weapons Katie pretended to faint. Christopher droped her on the ground as she landed she hit the back of Christopher's knees with her legs sending him to the ground. Face quickly put a gun to Christopher's head.

"Drop 'em." he said as BA helped Katie to her feet.

"Thanks BA" Katie said.

" No problem" BA replied.

Chapter 5

A Cry for Help

Twenty-year-old Katie Johnson headed toward the mare and foal barn. Her mare, Sterling Dream was foaling. Ashleigh Gordon had just told her. She and Ashleigh had become best friends over the past two years. Ashleigh's parents were the breeding managers. The spring had been hecktick. Five mares have foaled and Sterling was the last. She ran to the stall. Ashleigh, and her parents were already there.

"How is she?" Katie asked asked.

"She's doin' fine" Mr. Gordan said. Katie looked into the stall. Sterling was on the floor, the foal's legs were out. After sevral more contractions the foal was out. Sterling quickly licked the foal as Mr. Gorden stepped into the stall.

"It's a filly." he annocced, walking out of the stall. "Have you thought of a name yet Katie?" he asked looking at the grey filly.

"How about Magic Dreams?" Katie asked. Everyone agreed. Katie walked back to her office, relieved. No more foals until next year. Six was enough. She started to fill out some paperwork when she heard a knock on her door.

"Come in." she said, not looking up from her work.

"Katie.." the voice was fimilar enough. She looked up to see her uncle standing in her office.

"Yes?" Katie asked.

"What day would suite you best for a ceromony?" he asked.

"What ceromony?"

"Your betrothel ceromonary."

"What do you mean? I'm not marrying anyone."

"Katie...."

"No!"

"Katie we'll talk about this later." he said as he walked out of her office. The nerve of him! He had no right to make promises for her! Just then Ashleigh walked into her office.

"Hey are we still up for that auction today?" she asked. They were going to a bankruptcy auction to look for new stock.

"Yeah just let me grab my coat." Katie replied.

At the auction they looked at a couple of stallions, a few yearlings and a couple in-training horses. When they got to the Mares and their foals two mares and their foals caught their eyes. One mare was black with a white snip at the end of her nose. Her foal was a sturdy black colt with a small star on his fore head.

"Concrete Angel, and Black Beauty" Ashleigh reads. "May we see them?" she asks the groom. He grabbed a lead and leaded them out of the stall.

"Thank you" Katie said writing down the hip number. They look at a mare across the isle.

"Lovely Spirit, and Lovely Ginger." Ashleigh read. The chesnut mare was tall with a long strip down the middle of her elegant head. Her foal was sturdy and big for a filly. She was pure chesnut. "Will you lead them out please?"

In the auction tent Katie and Ahsleigh got seats in the front. Once the auctionner started Katie bidded on a couple of yearlings, a few stallions and a couple in-training horses. Then the chesnut mare's hip number is called. No hands went up but Katie's. She got the mare for a low price. Then the black mare is brought up. She started at five-thousand then quickly went up to thirteen. Katie bid for fourteen, another man fourteen-five hundred. Katie did fifteen and got the duo. Katie and Ashleigh go down to load up the horses they bought. In all they purchased ten horses, two stallions, two yearlings, two three year-olds and the two mares and their foals.

Back at the farm the grooms quickly unloaded the horses. Ashleigh and Katie took the mares to the mare and foal barn. They quickly settled into their stalls. They went out and watch the newly born foals and their mothers in the paddock. The frisky foals chased each other around the paddock while the mares grazed peacefully. Katie and Ashleigh laughed as they started to race. It was a blurr of all colors racing around the paddock. Victora's Demon was in the lead followed by Gallant Stranger, with Golden Hollywood hot on his tail. Rising Challenge was in fourth and Journey by Night trailed. Victoria's Demon was Vicky's first foal. Gallant Stranger was out of Gallant Victory. Golden Hollywood was Holly's first. Rising Challenge was out of Rising Chance. Journey by Night was Black Night's first foal. The next day Ginger, Spirit, Angel, Beauty, Sterling and Dream would join them.

The next morning Katie, Ashleigh and Mr. Gorden led the horses out. Sterling, Angel, and Spirit seamed to be glad to be outside. Beauty, Ginger and Dream seemed a little frightened but quickly got over their fears and joined the other foals in racing around the paddock. Katie and Ashleigh hurried over to the track for the workouts.

When she got back into her office Katie saw some mail on her desk. Upon opening it she found it was a letter from her friends in Hanover.

Dear Katie,

Help!!! A Willam Hopkins is taking over town! We need your help. Your the only one who can help. Please come!

Your friends,

Megan, Jen and Nikki.

She needed to help! Just then Riggs walked into her office. She made up her mind.

"Riggs get me the earlyest flight to Boston, Massachusetts, America." she said quickly standing up.

"But why?" He asks.

"My friends are in trouble and need me." she relpied as she dialed the phone.

She got off the plane with Riggs and Smith. Logan Airport was as busy as ever. She scanned the crowd looking for fimilar faces. Right away she spotted Megan. The slim athletic girl was hard to miss. She was about five-eight with her golden hair up in a tight ponytail. Megan spotted them quickly and hurried over to them.

"It's good to see you Katie" Megan said.

"Megan, this is James Riggs and Martin Smith, Guys this is Megan Stone." Katie introduced them. After they shook hands Megan turned to Katie.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"Of course." Katie replied. Megan led them to her car and they began the hour drive to Hanover. Megan filled Katie in.

"The men just marched into town and took over."Megan told Katie." The A-team's here and they say it must have something to do with drugs."

"No doubt." Katie replied"What else did Hannibal tell you?"

"You know him?"

"Yeah the A-team saved my life a couple years ago." When they got to Hanover. Megan took them to see the A-team.

"Well, well, well. Katie I see you always have a knack for being where your needed." Face said.

"Remember Face. This is my turf." she said. "Has Hannibal come up with a plan to get us killed yet?"

"Do you guys remember that resterant for rent down the street?" Hannibal asked.

"What does that have to do with anything?" BA asked.

"I always wanted my own Irish pub. Ever since I was a wee lad. I'll call her 'Victory Road' She'll be a fine pub with a brass rail along the bar, sir" Hannibal said in an irish accent.

"Excuse me sir but my name is Mr. H.M. Murdock of Memory R' Us. Perhaps we might be of service to you." Murdock said in an irish accent.

"If you think I'm not putting up this pub because you think I'm crazy your nuts!"

"Children, children!" Katie cut in. "Stop bickering."

"Uh Hannibal." Face says "we don't even know how to run a resteraunt. Remember the last time I cooked, I nearly burnt down the building."

"I'll cook." Nikki offered.

They went to the building to inspect it. Hannibal turned out in an old fashioned suit, he carried a horse head walking stick. He had put on a mustahce and, in Katie's opionon, looked very ugly.

"How do ye' like her?' Hannibal asked them.

"Horrible, Hannibal, just horrible. And why are you calling it 'Victory Road'?" Katie told him.

"Well you of all people should know, Katie. It'll have framed pictures of past races. The waiters and waitress will all be dressed like jockeys, the bartenders like grooms." Hannibal said in his irish accent.

"Finally you have a good idea, Hannibal" Katie replied. They got to work cleaning the resterant. When they were done the resteraunt looked like new. The tables all had red-and-white checker pattern satan table clothes. The walls were green with white triming. Framed pictures of Katie on Snow riding in the Classic and the Dubi Cup, Vicky in the Distaff, Heart in the Derby, Laffet in the Sprint, Sterling in the Fillies Juvinnele, and Sweete in the Turf.

Now all that was left was to fit the servers. BA and Smith were bartenders so they wore their jackets. BA, the one that she'd given him years ago that was black with a red stripe going along the shoulders and down the arms. Smith, Whitebrook's, a blue torso with white sleeves. Riggs, Murdock, Face and Katie dressed as jockeys. Face wore the blue-and-white colars of Whitebrook, Murdock wore Katie's black and red silks, Riggs wore Katie's father's green-and-gold silks, and Katie wore Ian's old red-and-white silks.

That night Hannibal had invited most of Town Officals. They were all very busy. Right on time the head man arived. He was with his girlfriend. Hannibal had let him know about there presence earlier in the afternoon. He fought with Face about reservations then Hannibal spoke to him:

"If there's a problem maybe Shawn O'Shea III can be of some assistence." Hannibal asked.

"Yeah you can fix this little problem before I mess-up your face." He said.

"As my dear departed father used to say 'Always listen to the flow of the river and you'll always fish out the trout'".

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

" I don't know. I never figured it out, but I always liked it."

"Are you trying to be funny?"

"No you see you have no reservations and your a mean and nasty brute. Therefore leading up to the old good-bye"

"You think your going to throw me out." He asked pointing two guns at Hannibal. He threw a quick glance at BA, who hurried out from behind the bar.

"Ah...as my dear departed father used to say 'the door-step of a great house is often slippery'" BA grabed the man from behind while Hannibal grabbed the man's guns. BA threw the man out the door.

"Nice BA"

It was three days since they'd come from Scotland. The job was over and Katie still hadn't told her friends about her being a Princess. They were talking about how the drug dealer had been beaten by Hannibal's clever plan.

"I can't beleve that they wanted to ship drugs through the town" Jen said. She and the rest of Katie's friends had been amazed by what the A-team had done.

"Uh guys." Katie said turning to Riggs, Smith and the A-team" can I talk to my friends alone?"They nodded and walked out of the room. All of them knew why she didn't want them in the room.

"Why did you want us alone?" Nikki asked.

"Guys..." Katie started" I need to tell you something. Remember how my dad died in a car crash before I was born?"

"Yeah" Jen said.

"Well he never died. It was all a lie. A few years ago I met him. He's the King of Scotland. Which makes me Princess." Katei finished. "Riggs and Smith are my body guards"

"Wow" they said softly.

Chapter 6

A Father's Duty

Katie vaulted onto Beauty's back. Twenty-two year-old Katie was a very suscussful jockey and trainer. Black Beauty was the star two-year-old on the farm. Ashleigh was working Ginger on the training oval at their farm. Katie and Ashleigh were both jockeys and both loved racing. Together they made a huge breeding and training operation. They hade become friends when Katie came to England because her father was King. Being Princess didn't stop her from doing what she loved. Maybe her uncle, the Duke, didn't approve of it but she still raced.

Katie steared Beauty onto the track. He warmed-up quickly. Then she cantered him a mile. She steared him toward a starting gate that had been placed on the track. They were going to race Ginger and Ashleigh. Both girls thought it was a good idea and both horses needed some racing experance. Beauty easily loaded into the gate with Ginger quickly following. Katie quickly crouched low over Beauty's withers. The race was a mile much to both horses liking. Then the gates flew open! Beauty was out with a powerful thrust. He imeaditly took the lead, but Katie quickly slowed him. There was no way he could race in front the whole the time. Ginger quickly passed them. Around the first turn and down the backstrech. Katie gave Beauty the signal to move up and he quickly responded. They quickly move up to challenge Ginger but she doesn't give an inch. They move down the backstrech neither horse giving an inch. At the wire they slowed the horses. It was a tie.

They troted off the track and dismounted. Two grooms lead the horses away. Katie and Ashleigh walked toward the paddocks. After works they always went to watch the foals and their mothers. The foals decided to race and it was a blur of colars. Snowball's Victory tailed by Sterling Heart, Victoria's Prince in third, Sweet Angel following him with Free Spirit trailing in last.

In the paddock next to it there were more foals. They too decided to race. Second Chance was leading with Black Heart close on his tail. My Courage was following in third., Whitebrook Lass hot on his tail, with Wild Angel trailing. Holly and her foal weren't out because the little foal was very weak. Ashleigh and Katie took turns feeding the little filly. It would be a disapointment to lose a foal by Majestic Heart.

Katie and Ashleigh walked to Katie's jeep. Ashleigh had some horses running in a couple races, she had asked to ride one of the horses. The ride was a short one. Ashleigh had picked-up the horses at claiming races. Katie had helped her train them and they were great horses. Ashleigh had decided to race them under her own silks. They were maroon and silver in a diamond pattern.

When they got to the track they went to check on the horses. The two horses were in great shape. The filly, Sweet Goddess was a sixteen hand brown filly. She had a blaze in the middle of her elegantly shaped head. Ashleigh's colt, Jazzy Run was also sixteen hands. His black coat shone in the light. Sweet Goddess would run in the first race and Jazzy Run in the fifth. Ashleigh was ridding Goddess and Katie Jazzy. Ashleigh went to the jockey's room to change for the race while Katie got Goddess ready for the race.

Ashleigh looked nervious when she walked over to Katie in the walking ring. She had never raced one of her own horses in a race. Plus her boyfriend, Tor Potter, a young jockey was there. Her marroon-and-silver silks reflected Ashleigh's natural beauty. She had tied her hair back into a french braid and tucked it under her helmet. Katie quickly gave her a leg up. She smiled at her and gave her a thumbs up. After handing the lead to a ponyrider she walked to the rail. The stratigy was simple. Get Goddess on the rail ahead of the pack. Move her up at the mile marker. The race was a mile-and-a sixtenth.

They were in gate 4 which Katie saw as a major disadvantage. Ashleigh was an aprentance jockey and had far less raceing experance than Katie. The horses loaded quickly into the gate. It was a moment of silence then the gates burst open.

"And it's Long Life in first with Sing for Love in second." The annoccer said "Black Ice in third with Sweet Goddess in fourth...." Katie watched the track intensly. If Ashleigh wasn't careful Goddess would get boxed in."And around the clubhouse turn onto the backstrech Long Life is tireing with Sing for Love and Black Ice fighting for first. Sweet Goddess is boxed in. Jockey Ashleigh Gorden is looking for an opening but finding none..." Katie groaned. The only way they could get out was if they went around a wall of five horses. Being a seasoned jockey, Katie knew the only other option was to wait for an opening." Wait a minute. Sweet Goddess has found an opening! She's beating down on Sing for Love and Black Ice! Sweet Goddess has taken the lead. She's increasing it by two lenths! And Sweet Goddess wins it!" Katie hurried toward the winner's circle.

Katie headed back toward the jockey room. She and Jazzy Run had just won their race. All of a sudden someone knocked her out. Everything went black!

She woke up in a dark room. There are three men standing around her. She was tied up in a chair. The men are heavy built and are wearing warm clothes. Katie shivered, it was extremly cold. They must be in the mountains.

"Well it looks like the spoiled princess is awake" one of the men said. "Are you cold?"

"What do you want?" Katie asked fiercly.

" We want you dead." another man said.

"And why may I ask?" Katie asked "If you kill me my friends will make sure you never eat another meal."

"And who are your friends? The A-team?" He asked laughing

"They just might be." Katie replied.

"Well your friends are dead. They were shot by a firing squad two years ago after they were convicted of murdering General Collins." the leader said.

"Well miricales happen" Katie replied.

"Well not here." the leader replied. "Now it's time to show your father how much he needs to see how much his precious daughter needs him." He untied her bonds and pushed her to another room. She was pushed into a corner and one his men grabed a whip. Oh no Katie thoughtI thought I left all that behind in Montanna. Never! I'll never give in!

Three weeks pasted since she had been abducted. She knew she couldn't last much longer. They had become more brutal. Taking a sludge hammer they hit her knee, knew it was broken at the least. No one had even tried to rescue her. Her captors didn't have a clue how she mannaged to stay alive so long. They would never get their way. She'd live until it was her time to go, and that time was not now. Her life was a nightmare. If she didn't live she hoped that people would get courage from hers.

"Are you ready for your daybu Princess?" the leader asked. Katie was so weak she couldn't anwser. He untied her and pushed her to the floor.

"Everybody freeze!" a fimiluar voice said but she was too weak to place it. Someone rapped her up in a blannket and carried her out of there. She became unconsciousness and everything went black.

Katie jolted awake. She was quickly aware of extreme pain all over her body. Opening her eyes she could see that she was in a hospital room at the palace. There were flowers on the windowsill. Looking down at herself she could see that her leg was in a cast from her hip to her foot, her ribs were bandaged and she could tell they were extremly tender, her right hand was in a cast.

Her doctor, Dr. Reese, walked into the room. He was a little older than her father.

"I see your awake Katie" he said his kind face smiling down at her. She didn't smile back. "Everyone has been worried about you. Ashleigh, the horses, the A-team..."

"The guys are here?" Katie asked. Why was the A-team here?

"Yes they're here, and they've been worried sick since they rescued you."

"So it was them."

"Yes, and they've been worried since you haven't woken up. All I can say is you were lucky."

"What do you mean lucky?"

"Well considered what those men could have done to you you're lucky though I'm not sure you'll think that way..."

"What happened to me?"

"You have a couple cracked ribs and your wrist is sprained. When they did whatever they did to your leg they distroied your kneecap. You had surgurary last night. You're going to need at least three more surgureys in the next year."

"Surgery? When will I be able to ride again?"

"A couple years at least. But I must caution you. You may never be able to ride again." Katie was stunned. Not ride again? Not race Beauty, or ride Snow on the trails?"Katie would you mind if the A-team came in? They've been worried sick."

"Sure" Katie replied.

It had been three months since her fifth surgery. The A-team had just gone back to America. Ashleigh had hired a groom named John Holmes. The tall groom had brown hair and had away with horses. He had helped them raise the sick filly who now has a name, Majestic Wonder. Wonder is now a healthy, happy filly. On the down side her uncle hadn't decided to put off her wedding to the Lord in which she had been bethrothed to two years ago. Lord Richard Hously was a perfect gentleman but Katie didn't like him at all. There was something about him.

Dr. Reese's prediction had proved to be wrong. Katie was now riding Snow around the yearling ring. Although she loved riding she was always in extreme pain. Thanks to the A-team she had learned how to discise what she was really feeling. That was the real reason she had been able to ride.

Katie was in her room. She reached under her bed to get the ice and the ice pack she had hidden earlier. Every night she would quietly weep in pain, careful not to let anyone else know. Her knee constently ached. The ice pack barely helped. Tears of pain trickled down her cheeck as she wraped her knee in a towel with ice and then fastened the ice pack with a towel. She leaned over to her nightstand and grabed a horse magizine. Leaning back onto her pillows she started flipping through the magizine. Then she heard a knock on her door.

"Come in" she called, quickly wiping her eyes. Her father walked in.

"Katie..."he started. His face quickly showed concern when he saw the tears on Katie's face. "How long has this been happening?" he asked, sitting on her bed. His voice was full of concern. "Since the surgery" Katie replied. She wasn't sure wether to trust him or not. He hugged her.

"If you had told me sooner I'd have made Mycroft cancel the wedding." He said. Katie decided to trust him. She laid her head on his shoulder, crying. He gently stroked her hair. "It's alright Katie, it's alright" After a couple hours she laid down in her bed and closed her eyes. Her father walked toward the door. Then her uncle walked in. Katie quietly listened.

"What are you doing in here Micheal?" Her uncle asked.

"Taking care of Katie." Her father replied.

"Leave that to the servants."

"No Mycroft. I've been going along with you for years, now I see how much pain it's caused Katie. She didn't have a choice."

"Don't be foolish. She's fine. The wedding will be in a month and she'll be happy."

"The wedding is canceled."

"What!"

"It's canceled. Katie isn't in shape to marry someone she dosen't care for."

"Fine we'll have the wedding..."

"She's not marrying unless she want's to."

"But what about Lord Hously?"

"I think you know how to deal with him."

"Then why do you say it's caused Katie so much pain?"

"If I hadn't listened to you twenty-two years ago Juliet wouldn't have divorced. She wouldn't be dead. Katie wouldn't have had to go through what she did."

"She's been very childesh."

"No, she had to grow-up twice as fast as anyone else."

"You should be doing your job. You are King."

"This is my job. Katie is my daugter. She's had no family for ten years."

"What about Dad's motto 'My kingdom is the most important thing'"

"Well he was wrong. Family is the most important thing." Her father walked out of the room. Her uncle followed. Katie was stunned. He stood up to his brother for her. That was the first time he had acutally called her his daugther.

Over the next few days Katie and her father became good friends. He helped her take care for Wonder. Wonder didn't seem to mind the attention. They also took care of Beauty and Ginger. Her father didn't go to any of the State Dinners that were planned. Instead he stayed with Katie. They worked on a way to prove the A-team's innoccence. Since her father used to be a private consulting dective he helped her gather evedance. Toghter they gathered enough evedince to make the verdict not guilty.

After a few months Katie could walk without crutches. Thanks to her father she was racing couple weeks after she could walk. The first race was nerve racking. Katie was riding Beauty in an alowence race. Her father was there to watch. Katie was a basket case in the jockey room. She looked at herself in the mirror. The young jockey looked back at her like always. She sighed and grabed her saddle to weigh-in.

In the walking ring she watched Ashleigh walk Beauty around. The stratigy was a simple one, take him to third or fourth and let him out at the last quarter. Katie walked over to them and handed Ashleigh the saddle. John held the reins while Ashleigh gave her a leg up. Katie landed gently in the saddle quickly putting her feet in the sturrips. It had started raining and Ashleigh wanted to withdraw but Katie wouldn't let her. She had to go through with this. The ponyrider hooked a lead onto Beauty's bridle. Even though he didn't need one Kaite had decided to have one because it was her first race after her injury. They quickly loaded into the gate. Katie automaticly crouched low over Beauty's withers. No matter how much pain she was in Katie wasn't going to let Beauty down. The bell sounded and the gates burst open. Beauty got them out with one powerfull thrust of his hindquarters. They found a spot on the rail close to the frontrunners. Around the clubhouse turn They were in fourth. She asked Beauty for more and he responded. They surged up the track. The leaders seemed to be standing still. Beauty finishes ten lenths ahead of the rest of the field! Katie stode in her sturrups and slowed Beauty to a canter. The ponyrider quickly cought up and led them to the winners circle. She dismounted and weighed-out. Then she quickly vaulted back into the saddle for the winning photos. She had done it! Thank you Mom and Dad.

Chapter 7

The Truth Reveled

Majestic Wonder imeaditly responded to Katie's signal and burst into a nice even gallop. Katie crouched over the chernut filly's withers, waiting for the half-mile marker. It flashed by and she gave Wonder the signal to run flat out. She quickly lenthened her ground covering strides. All too soon did they had to slow down. Katie patted Wonder's neck as she troted over to John and Ashleigh. She and John had been dating for the past three years. He was now a trainer at Whitebrook. Ashleigh was still a part time jock but mostly focused on training. Her boyfriend, Tor Potter, was standing next to her. Tor was a jockey at Whitebrook. The three looked happy with Wonder's time.

"Good job Katie" Ashleigh said. "She seems to like Churchill Down's track" They were there because Wonder was entered in the Kentucky Derby. Katie hadn't been here since Heart had raced in the Derby. She quickly dismounted and let Ashleigh cool off Wonder.

"Would you like to look at the competion?" John asked.

"Sure"Katie replied. Over the past few years the had been involved in a couple drug busts and murder cases. They felt completly at ease in front of each other. After watching a couple of works they drove into Louiesville. Katie picked up the latest paper and almost cried out loud when she saw the headline:

A-TEAM CAPTURED!!!!!!

The notorious A-team is finnaly captured after ivading the millatary for over thirteen years. Accused of killing Gen. Samual Collins in Afganistan, the A-team has evaded four skilled soilders who's job was to capture them. Col. Lynch, Col. Decker, Col. Briggs and Gen. Fullbright have tried to capture the A-team and all have failed. They were finnaly caught by Gen. Stockwell. The A-team consists of Col. John Smith aka Hannibal, Lt. Templeton Peck, Sgt. Bosco Baracas, Capt. H.M. Murdock, and Frankie Santanna. They will stand trial at Fort Penington, Kentucky on April 25th. They are now curently being housed at Kentucky Correctional Center.

Katie was stunned. Imeditly she knew she needed to get the evedince she and her father collected three years before.

"Are you alright?" John asked.

"Yeah but I need to get call Dad." Katie replied.

"Why?"

"Evedence." Kaite replied grabbing her cellphone. She quickly dialed the international phone number for the palace. Asking for her father she drummed her fingers waiting for him to get on the line. The operator quickly got back on the phone.

"I'm sorry miss but the King is not here." the operator replied.

"What do you mean?" Katie asked.

"He was abducted yesterday."

"Then get me Dr. Reese."

"I'm sorry miss but he has also been abducted."

"Who else has been abducted?" Katie asked quickly. If her uncle had been abducted she would need to imeditly get back to Scotland.

"The Duke." the operator replied.

"Thank you" Katie said. She looked grimly at John. "Dad, the Duke and Dr. Reese have been abducted." she told him.

"You need to go back to Scotland?" he asked, never taking his eyes off the road.

"You, Ash, and Tor could stay here and train Wonder while I go back to Scotland. Then I could come back on the twenty fourth with the A-team's evedance. I'll get them out and we could go back to Scotland and work on the case. On the fourth I'll come back to ride in the Derby. Then we can go back to Scotland and work on the case."

"Why do you want the A-team to help? They're susposed to have killed a Genral in Afganastan."

"Because they saved my life more than once and I owe them."

On April 25th Katie steped into the courtroom discised as a reporter for the New York Times. She was going to revil her true idenity when she needed to present her evidance. Sitting for three hours through the Defense and Prosicuters argue Katie got a headache. But then she heard the judge.

"The jury will now decide the verdict." the judge annoced. It was now or never. Katie stood up.

"Your Honor." She said. The judge turned.

"What is the meaning of this interuption?" the judge asked severly.

"The defense has more evidence." she replied "and I think it might just change the verdict."

"What bussiness do you have in this case?" the judge asked trying to hide his amusment.

" I have a bigger role than anyone but the A-team would know." Katie replied. "I have known the A-team, Col. Smith, Lt. Peck, Sgt. Baracuas, and Capt. H.M. Murdock for 12 years. They have saved my life more than once."

"And what is your name?"

"My name is Princess Katyln Elizibeth Johnson, daughter of His Majesty Micheal Johnson, King of Scotland."There was silence. "The A-team is inocent. Three years ago my father and I collected evidence in the A-teams favor. On that night many years ago the General was killed by a Mr. Carlos Georian. And if I am correct he is in this courtroom right now."

"Yes I killed the Genral." a man said, standing up. "The Genaral was my cousin. We had a dispute a few days before and I..."

"That is enough." The judge thundered. The police ceased him. "Thank you Your Majesty." Katie sat down. "Will the jury please decide on the verdict." Five minutes later the juriers came back in.

"Has the jury reached a verrdict?" the judge asked.

"Yes your honor." a short man said. "We find the defendents not guitly."

Katie, Ashleigh, John and the A-team were back at the Palace. A few days before Katie and Wonder had won the Derby. Now they were all back in Scotland trying to find the King, Duke, and their doctor. An anomuse tip arived that a man name Roger Parthaway was holding them hostige. Katie was to go up to the house and ask for the hostages.

Katie was scared to death as she drove up the drive. She saw the house and stoped her truck. Getting out she took her machine gun with her. She walked up to the house and saw the hostages along with their captors. Lazzily she walked up to them.

"Who are you?" the man she took for Roger Parthaway.

"I'm just an orphan girl. I work for your friend, Larry Jones. He wants to challenge you to a race for your hostages. His three-year-old colt, Snowball's Victory, and his five-year-old, Black Beauty are fit to race whoever you may want to enter." Katie replied. She hoped her image had convinced him.

"Ok. Tell him I'll run Runnaway, and Quick Speed. How about tommorrow?"

"That was what Mr. Jones hoped for."

"Ok at this track."

The next morning Katie, John, Tor, and Ashleigh vanned Victory, and Beauty over to the track. The plan was that Hannibal, Face and Riggs were attacking from the rear while Smith, BA, Bond and Murdock attacked from the side. John and Tor carried a pistol in their coats while Katie, and Ashleigh had them in their boots. Katie rode Victory while Ashleigh rode Beauty. They decided to use Whitebrook silks because they weren't asocated with the Royal House in anyway. The stratigy was to get the horses in either third or fourth, then move up at the three quarter pole. Since the race was a mile-and a sixtenth they needed to avoid any speed duels in the begining. The rules were clear, you needed your horses in both first and second, or you lost.

Comeing out of the trailer both young women looked at each other. They both looked very worried. Katie smiled at Ashleigh. They'd win. Unlike the compition they had heart and so didn't their horses. Racing was what they were born to do. On a horse they were unstopable. Walking toward the walking ring they quietly thought of the the race ahead. In the paddock they mounted and headed toward the gate. Katie crouched over Victory's withers waiting for the doors to burst open. When they did Victory cleared them quickly. They managed a place on the rail, they were in last! Ashleigh and Beauty were ahead of them. Around the clubhouse turn and down the backstrech. Katie knew it was time. She knead her hands along Victory's neck. He quickly responded with a burst of speed, quickly passing Beauty and Runnaway. But Beauty quickly came up on their right side. Katie didn't bother with them. Togher they caught up with Quick Speed who had already started to tire. Plowing ahead of them they battled each other for first. At the wire it was a photo finish. Slowing Victory Katie headed him toward the gap. John, and Tor were waiting. They took Victory and Beauty. Katie walked up to Roger Parthaway.

"How bout the race?" she asked.

"I Think it was a darn good race." he replied. "But I'm so sorry your carrier ended so soon. I have no choice but to kill you, your other jockey and your trainers." Three men brought Ashleigh, Tor and John up. They looked at Katie for help. This wasn't going as planed. She had no choice but to give the signal.

"You know Mr. Jones won't be happy when he hears about this." she told him.

"I don't care." he replied. "Any last words?" he asked her.

"As my dear departed mother used to say 'Roses are red, silks are blue, Put up your hands and look behind you.'" He started to laugh. Then shots were fired.

"Everybody freeze!" Hannibal called. He, Face, and Riggs were above them. Bond, Murdock, Smith and BA came up from the side. Katie, John, Tor and Ashleigh took out their pistols. They untied the King, the Duke and Dr. Reese.

"Out witted by a kid" Parthawy mummbled.

"No." Katie replied "Out-witted by a princess."

John and Katie were alone after the day's adventures. They looked over the balcony at the palace. The sun was setting. It cast beautiful rays of light over the grounds. Never in her whole life had Katie seen anything so beautiful. She and John leand on the railing.

"Katie there's somthing I wanted to ask you" John asked. She looked at him with a questioning look.

"What?" she asked.

"Katie Johnson" he said smiling "Will You Marry Me?" he asked Just say yes you idot.

"Yes John" she replied "I'll marry you" her voice was filled with happiness.

Three months later Katie's stomach was filled with butterflies. Today she and John would finnaly be married. Her uncle had made a big fuse about the wedding being public but her father quickly quieted him. She and John had decided to have the ceromony and reception at Whitebrook. They had also decided to have some of their horses in the formal wedding photos. The A-team had become her bodyguards and were there.

Katie had kept her wedding dress a secret from everyone except her father. He seemed to be glad she was finnaly marrying someone she loved. He also said she looked extremly beautiful in her dress. It was a simple white satan, with tight chiffon sleeves and a full sweep of ankle-lenth skirt. The scooped neck of the gown and the base of the skirt were delicatly embroded with pale pink roses. Her golden hair was pulled on top of her head and laced with a garland of roses that matched those on her dress. From the garland a long lacey veil frothed out and fell all the way to the ground. She was more nervios than before racing Snow in the Derby.

The night before she had barley slept. Now she was a basket case. She quietly looked out the window. All of her friends from the racing and breeding industruy were there. Ash, Ian, and a whole bunch of other people. She had been forced to invite Lord Richard Hously out of courtisy. Katie, a voice said. You're going to be happy with John. This is part of getting married.

She quietly walked down the isle. John was waiting for her at the alter. He looked dashing in his white tuxedo. Looking at her he gave her a quick smile. The ceramony went by faster than Katie would have believed. Soon they all walked outside for the wedding pictures. Katie and John stood with Snow and Laffeet. Katie sat on Snow for the pictures of the bride. At the reception she staied away from the dance floor as long as possible. Then came time for the bride and groom's first dance she carefully stepped onto the floor. Looking into John's eyes she smiled. Her life would finnaly be complete. Thank you Mom.

Chapter 8

An Unfair Trial

Twenty-six year-old Katie Holmes Johnson walked purposly toward her and her husband's bedroom. She just came from Dr. Reese. He had exciting news for her. She was pregnant. Stopping at the door she took a deep breath, then walked in. John was sitting on the bed. He looked at her when she walked in.

"What's up" he asked as she sat on the bed. She took his hands.

"John...." she was interupted by three soldiers who burst into the room and grabbed her arm.

"Katie Johnson, you are under erest for the murder of Sir Nicholes Swinson" the leader informed her as they dragged her out of the room. She was transported to a high security compond on an island off the coast.

Katie paced in her cell. This was not the way she wanted to spend her pregnancy. She had never heard of a Nicholes Swinson. Her father would beleive her. If he didn't she didn't know what she was going to do. John and the A-team were sure to beleive her. She knew the punishment for murder was death. That couldn't happen. Worse come to worse she'd escape. If she needed to escape it would be harder since she was pregnant.

Then a soilder came to take her to a visitor room. Her father and her uncle sat in chairs oppisite. Both had grim looks on their faces. Never had she seen her father so disapointed. Imeditly she knew that he didn't beleive her story.

"Katie.." her uncle asked "Why did you kill Sir Swinson?"

"I didn't!" Katie exclaimed. Why were they acuseing her of something she didn't do? Her father still looked at her with a look of disappointment. He didn't beleive her.

"Katie everyone knows you did it so just confese." Her uncle persisted.

"I will not confese to something I didn't do. You don't even have any solid evedence." Katie replied stubernly.

"Fine" Her father replied. She was led back to her cell. Never had she been more furious with them. They accused her of something she had never done. If she had killed anyone it was out of selfdefense. She made up her mind, she was going to escape. It would have to be tonight. She'd knock-out the guard that brought her food. Then she'd hyjack a fighter craft. Thanks to Murdock she knew how to fly. She'd land in a field and walk to the nearest town. Then she'd gather evidence in the case.

That night she quickly knocked-out the guard and grabbed his weapon. She moved quickly down the hall. Face had taught her how to break codes and pick locks quickly. The code was a simple one since she had been given the code. From there she ran swiftly down the hall to the airfield. It took her no time to hyjack an aircraft. She was up in the air faster than she ever thought possible. After five minutes an alarm sounded. She was out of fuel. Luckly she was over land. Oh please don't let me die. she thought. Even though she'd paracuted hundreds of times every time she was scared to death. Quickly she pressed the eject button. She flew out of the cocpit and parachuted to Earth.

Grabbing her stuff she sprinted toward the forrest. Once she knew she was out of sight she quickly changed her clothes. Putting on a blue long sleeved shirt and jeans she quickly changed her look. Pulling up her hair into a loose bun, she finished her transformation. Quickly stuffing her things into her bag she dashed the oppisite direction she came.

Six months later Katie was sitting at a desk writing to John:

Dear John

Don't believe a thing about me murdering anyone. If I ever killed anyone it was out of self defense. I have finnaly gotten evidence in my favor and I have aslo found the person who killed Sir Nicholes Swinson. Come to the church at Farhill on August 10 at three. Please bring the A-team. I love you.

Love Katie

P.S. I was trying to tell you. I'm pregnant.

She sealed the envelope. It was August fifth. She had found refuge at the church in Farhill. Looking down at herself she felt like a balloon. Her red maternity smock clearly showed the difference in her apperence. Sighing she walked outside and mailed the letter. It was a clear day. The warm summer wind blew her long, golden hair. She never would have beleived the murder if she hadn't found it out herself. Never would she beleive he did it.

On August 10th she sat waiting in the church. She had instructed the priest to bring anyone to her that inquired about her. Wearing a blue maternity smock and black strech pants she thought that she looked only halfway decent. John never cared about her looks. He loved her no matter what. Their love never faltered.

The door opened and the priest walked in followed by John and the A-team. She nodded to the priest who then walked out of the room. John and she embraced tightly. Katie never had been so happy to see him. Six months hadn't changed him at all.

"Where have you been?" John asked. She saw an undoubtable look of worry on his face.

"I've been hiding-out here." she replied looking at him. Turning to the A-team she said "Thanks to you guys I'm alive."

"What type of evidence did you get?" Face asked.

"Thats not important" Katie replied. "The important thing is showing the evidence with-out me getting captured or any of you guys getting thrown in the slammer for treason."

"What's the plan?" Murdock asked, looking at her.

"When was that next trial for the murder case?" she asked.

"Tomorrow." Hannibal replied "Why?"

"We're going to show them that justice always prevails." she replied. "You guys are going to attend and I'll climb threw the shafts, drop-in and have my say."

"That's a risky plan" BA commented. "Why not just dressed-up as a reporter?"

"It's the only way. Besides It'd be to risky of them discovering my identidy."

Katie was in the narrow, dark ventalator. Being pregnant didn't help at all. She looked down through the grate into what was supposed to be the courtroom. But all she saw was a ransked, abandoned courtroom. That's weird. She thought. They should be in there. Where are they? Crawling through the narrow, twisting tunnels she looked down through each of the ventalators. There should be at least a cop around here. Then she heard voices. Quietly crawling through the shaft she could easily make them out.

"I'm sorry that you all had to get mixed up in this" The voice was so fimalar "I hope you're comfortable on the concrete floor. Sorry I can't stay to watch you die but I need to find that blasted princess." There was the sound of the door slamming and footsteps walking away. She thought quickly. Removing the vent she slipped her feet through. When she landed she nearly fell to her knees. Her knee was burning with pain. The drop had probably been to much for it, but she walked toward her husband and the A-team. She leaned down and quickly untied them all. They got up and looked at her.

"Stay here with the others." Katie instructed them. "I need to meet our friend."

"No Katie" John said "I'm not going to let you go."

"This is my war not yours." Before he had a chance to object she had gotten out of the room and ran down the hallway with a distingished limp. Reaching into her pocket she took out a tape recorder and pressed record. If he was to confse it was when they were alone. She knew that she was at a certain disadvantage. Being pregnant and having a bionic knee gave her slim odds. But the odds had never been in her favor, and she had always prevailed. She came to a door at the end of the corador. It was the only possible place for him to be. She took a deep breathand pushed open the door.

"Welcome Katie" a voice said.

"I thouht I'd find you here" she replied. "You always had a knack for power. I guess this is one of your scemes?"

"Of course. You know me Katie. I love power and money. If you, your husband, your father and the Duke died I'd become ruler. Naturely I was furrious when you married that pesant."

"Because you would only have to kill me. Is that right?"

"Of course. When you became ruler I'd kill you, making it look like sucide but still in an ificent manner. Then I'd become King and rule the country. I killed Sir Nicholes. He was an easy one. Not a chalenge, but the easiest part was fooling those inafichent police. Shall we fight now? I know you have a disadvntage but I think you can mannage." Katie took the first punch, hitting him in the stomach. He quickly hit her in the jaw. She stumbled backward, toward the wall. He swung and hit her large, pregnant stomach. She groaned in pain, but she quickly got her hands around his neck. He did the same to her, then he pushed her toward the wall. Thinking lightning fast she grabbed her gun and pulled the trigger. He gripped his chest and gave her a look of disbelef as he fell to the ground. Sir Richard Hously was dead. She groaned and fell to the ground. Her knee was on fire, but there was also another pain. She felt sure she was feeling the pains of premature labor. Footsteps pounded and the door opened. She could almost see John as he knelt down and scooped her up.

Sevral hours later she awoke in a hospital room. Suddenly she felt a gripping pain all over her body, she also felt extremly tired. Then it all came back to her. The dim remberence of wrenching pain of contractions, an operating room, the doctors and nurses scurring around her... Looking around the room she saw John sitting in a chair next to her bed. A solitary tear fell down his check.

"Katie, I've been so worried." he said holding her hand.

"Where am I?" she asked seeming more tired by the minute.

"You're in the hosptial. Rember you got into that fight?"

"How's the baby?"

"She's fine." She rembered a small, very pink child.

"I saw her John. She's so beautiful."

"You need to get better Katie. I can't go on without you." She suddenly felt herself drifting out of consicus. "Katie, Katie please don't go." She tried to tell him not to worry but she was so tired. As she drifted out of consicius she smiled thinking of her beautiful daughter.

Over the next few days Katie got better. Dr. Reese said she was in better condition. She had not seen her father or her uncle since the day she almost lost her life, she had not talked to them for six months. On the other hand she and John had decided to name their daughter Julianna, or Julie. The A-team visited everyday and Katie found herself getting stronger. She told the A-team, one day, to show her uncle and her father in. It was time for truth to be told. On the outside she looked completely calm but inside she was scared to death. Once they were led in she got straight to the point.

"Now I have evidence that I didn't kill sir Nicholes." she told them.

"Then who did it?" her uncle asked.

"Sir Richard Hously, and I have recorded evidence." she replied reaching onto her side table.

"A tape recorder?" her father asked.

"Yes" she pressed the play button:

"Welcome Katie"

"I thouht I'd find you here. You always had a knack for power. I guess this is one of your scemes?"

"Of course. You know me Katie. I love power and money. If you, your husband, your father and the Duke died I'd become ruler. Naturely I was furrious when you married that pesant."

"Because you would only have to kill me. Is that right?"

"Of course. When you became ruler I'd kill you, making it look like sucide but still in an ificent manner. Then I'd become King and rule the country. I killed Sir Nicholes. He was an easy one. Not a chalenge, but the easiest part was fooling those inafichent police. Shall we fight now? I know you have a disadvntage but I think you can mannage." She cringed as she heard the fight. Then there was the gunshot.

"Well this certainly changes the case." her father said as the tape shut-off. There was a look of amazement on both men's faces. Hously had convinced them. He had been a wolf in sheep's clothling.

It was three days after the trial that proved her innocence. Katie sat on Snow's back. She had decided to take a ride on the trails. Since Snow needed some exersise she decided to take him. As they looked over the farm from a hill Katie had a feeling of belonging. The farm was the most beautiful thing in the world. If it hadn't been for Snow she never would have been able to create such a beautiful home. Had the crash that killed her mother had not happened she'd never have met John, the A-team, or even Snow. From tragity sprang a new life. This was her second chance. John had told her that Asheleigh had also been pregnanat. Katie had been hoping Ashleigh and Tor would have a baby since they had married last year. Their daughter, Rachel, was born a couple days before her daughter.

She heard the sound of pounding hoofbeats behind her. Looking back she saw John riding Beauty. He stoped next to her, looking at the magnificent view.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" he asked lookig at her.

"Yes it is" she replied. "And now our lives are perfect. We have a beautful daughter and nothing else can go wrong."

Chapter 9

Ties That Bind

Twenty-eight year-old Katie Johnson sat on top of Black Ginger. The black filly was by Black Beauty, out of Lovely Ginger. She impationally stomped her foot as Katie ajusted the sturrups. Blackie was known for throwing her riders. Ashleigh, John..... the list went on, and on. Katie was the only one who was able to stay on her. The filly had inherated her mother's attutude, but she had also inheritede both of her parents speed. As Katie steared Blackie onto the abondoned track she looked over the farm. It had been her home for ten years today. Blackie gave her a few playfull bucks but Katie easily sat them. She needed to concentrate on how to get the filly to concentrate on raceing. None of the tricks she had been taught had helped. The only person that had any effect on her was Murdock. He seemed to like the filly so Katie had been teaching him to be an exersise rider.

Katie focased her attention on Blackie. Warming her up was the easy part. Galloping was the challenge. As they reched the half mile marker she crouched low over Blackie's withers, giving her the signal to gallop. The filly imeditly grabbed the rein and rampaged down the track. Then she erupted into one of her bucking fits, nearly unseating Katie. When she finaly got Blackie into a gallop the filly imeditly droped off the bit. Katie had to hand ride her to the finish. Another terrible work. As she headed off the track she thought of something. Steeplechasing. The jumps would hold Blackie's intrest and she had the speed to race. The only problem was that she knew absulutly nothing about it. She dismounted and handed the reins to a groom. John was waiting with two-year-old Julie. Even at her young age she shared her parents love for horses. She loved riding on Snow and watching the foals in the paddocks.

"How'd she go?" John asked. He had been interested in Blackie's carreir since she bucked him.

"Not one of her best works." Katie replied. "Have you ever thought of training her for steeplechasing?"

"No but it might work." They walked toward the paddocks to watch the foals. They seemed to love racing and were a blurr of colars. Whitebrook Speed was streaming ahead of Hollywood Heart. My Chance followed not giving an inch to Black Magic. Snowball's Promise trailed. In the paddock opisite there was another race going on. Sterling Spirit was leading, followed closely by Wild Life. Victoria's Victory was in third followed by Sweet Wonder, who was tailed by Black Love. Katie smiled. Sweetie was Wonder's third foal. Wonder had stumbled in a race, fractureing her cannon bone. It wasn't life threatining but it did end her carreir early in her four-year-old season. Her first foal, Wonder's Prince, was a star two-year-old. Wonder's second foal, Wonder's Princess was the star yearling at the farm.

Katie, Julie and John headed back toward the barn. Katie had to check on a couple mares, including her favorites, Holly, Angel, Spirit, and Goddess. Ashleigh had been a basket case since the vet had said that she was due any day. Katie had promised to check on her after the works because Ashleigh, and Tor had to go to town to buy some tack for a colt they had bought. Angel was in foal to Snow, Spirit to Just Shine, Holly to Heart, and Goddess to Jazzy. They were the only mares that hadn't foaled yet. Katie had been starting to get worried. Suddenly a groom ran up to her.

"Miss Johnson." he said "Goddess is foaling." Katie ran with him while John took Julie to the A-team. The barn was light as Katie and the groom ran toward Goddess's stall. The brown mare was pacing in the stall. She seemed distressed. Her dark brown coat was dark with sweat. Suddenly she went down on to the thickly bedded floor. Katie quietly walked into the stall in case Goddess needed help. The beautiful mare grunted in pain. Suddenly a little head apeared. Katie knelt down in the corner of the stall. The rest of the foal apeared quickly. It was a little bundle of wet fur. Goddess quickly licked the little foal clean. It was a little dark bay filly. She had a little triangle star on her elegantly shaped forhead. Katie stood-up and walked out of the stall. It was ovious that the little filly was healthy but she still sent a groom to call the vet. Boy was Ashleigh going to be suprised when she got back.

"How's the foal?" John asked as he walked up.

"It's a little filly and she's fine. The delivery was normal. I sent a groom to call the vet just in case." Katie replied. She walked torward Holly's stall. The chesnut mare was heavy with foal. She seemed misarible and pawed the heavy bedding. They knew she wanted to be out in the pasture but since she was due any day she couldn't go out. Katie rubbed the mare's star, then she walked toward the training barn. Murdock was nodoubtibly there. She was giving him lessons in being an exersise rider, and how to jump.

"Ready Murdock?" Katie asked as she watched Murdock canter around the training oval. He was riding Sierra, a palimino Quarter Horse/Arab/Thoroughbred she and Ashleigh had bought as a pace horse. She was sitting on another pace horse, a chesnut Arab named Trib. They were there to catch Sierra in case Murdock fell off. He and Sierra were coming off the far turn and Katie gave them the signal to gallop. The two of them surged forward and whiped around the track. It seemed as if it only took them a few seconds to reach the finish line. Murdock slowed Sierra to a trot and headed toward the gap.

"How'd we do?" he asked.

"Perfect. I've never seen Sierra run so fast. I wish I had a stop watch." Katie replied. Murdock dismounted and led Sierra toward the barn. Katie dismounted and gave Trib to a groom, who led him toward his paddock. He didn't run so he didn't need to be cooled off. She walked toward the mare and foal barn. As she reached the barn she saw Ashleigh in front of Goddess's stall, looking at Goddess and her foal. Ashleigh turned when she heard Katie's footsteps.

"What a beautiful filly" Ashleigh remarked. "What should we name her?"

"Well Ash. She's your horse. You get to decide." Katie replied.

"How 'bout Jazzy Goddess?"

"Sounds perfect to me. Are you going to fill out the paperwork or do you want me to?"

"I will." Katie walked toward the stallion barn, while Ashleigh walked toward the office. Katie was sure that the A-team would be there. Julie had always loved looking at Snow, Heart, Laffeet, and Sweete. She also loved hearing stories about their carriers. Her guess was right.they were there looking at Snow.

"Hi guys" Katie said walking toward them. Snow stuck his head out of the stall at the sound of her voice. Even though he was fifteen he looked just as good as he did when he was three. She rubbed his glossy, snow-white coat.

"Hi Mommy." Julie said.

"Hello Katie." BA said. "How'd Murdock do? I hope he fell."

"Sorry B.A." Katie replied with a smile. B.A. and Murdock never got along. "He did the exact oppisite. I was sorry I didn't have a stopwatch."

"That good?" Face asked. "I don't know how he can do it. I'd have droped in pain. This arthritis is killing me."

"Welcome to my world Face." Hannibal said. Taking out a cigar. "I've had arthritis since I was thirty."

"Hannibal...." Katie said grabbing the cigar. "You know the rules. No smokeing in the barns. I thought you were trying to quit."

"Well Katie you know me." Hannibal replied smiling. Katie shook her head smileing. She knew them too well. Though time had taken its toll on them they were the same A-team she had met when she was thirteen. Fifteen years had created a bond that nothing could brake. They had been through many adventures and never faltered. Whatever happened they were forever friends. Then Riggs ran up to them.

"Katie..." he said out of breath. "The King has been kidnapped!" Kaite ran with him toward the palace. Even though the Duke would normaly be incharge she still intended to lead the search. Her mind was already whirling. This can't be happening. Dad hasn't been kidnapped. This is just a horrible dream. I'll wake-up in my bed with John next to me. Dad at the table waiting for us like always.

Outside the Grandhall a guard stoped her from going forward.

"I'm sorry miss." He said. "But you must wait to be introduced."

"Introduced to my own uncle?" Katie asked.

"Yes miss."

"Look this is extremly inportant."

"I'm sorry miss but you must wait." Katie pushed past the guard, into the Grandhall. Her uncle was pacing nerviously on the floor. He looked up as she walked in.

"Ah Katie...." he said. "I guess that you heard....."

"Yes" Katie replied shortly. "I'll lead the search party."

"That won't be nesacary."

"Why not?"

"There is already a search team out there."

"Then I'll go out to see them."

"No."

"Why?"

"You must trust me."

"Look I just want to find Dad."

"I'm already taking care of it."

"Fine I'll see if I can find anything out here. I'm going to give you a week. No more. If you don't find him I'm going to do this myself." And with that she strode out of the room. She went straight to the sight of the kidnapping.

Seven days later the only clue was a scrap of paper with symbols scribled on it. Dr. Reese had seemed a little ansey during the past week. It was if he was hideing something. Mycroft wasn't any better. He paced all the time. Even at night. Katie knew because she hadn't slept at all. John had been up with her most of the time too. He knew how worried she was about her father.

Katie sat down at her desk for another four hours of trying to de scramble the message:

The King will pay for his horrible deeds. I will avenge my desesed father, that he murdered. He will suffer and die slowly. King Cove. My father's dying place will also be his. He will die June 5th, the anerversery of my father's death.

James Brooks II

Katie suddenly got an idea. She took a magnifying glass and held it near the paper:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????He will die June 5th, the anerversery of my father's death.

???????????????

Kaite was shocked. Today was the fourth, and if she hurried she could save her father. Grabbing the paper she ran down the hallway. She'd need the A-team for this. They were the only people that could help her.

The landrover moved through the forrest like a galloping race horse. What should she expect? B.A. was the best driver in the world. He had taught her how to those many years ago. She looked around. Face,and Murdock were sitting next to her. B.A. and Hannibal sat in front of them. Everyone had a sollem look on their face. This was going to be their hardest mission yet. Dr. Reese had told them that her father had killed the notouroius Proffeser James Brooks back when he had been a dective. He said that Brooks was the most clever criminal in all of Scotland. The whole team knew that the chances of getting the King back safe and alive were extremly slim, but they had to try. Katie wasn't going to give-up, he had always told her to never give-up.

They reached King's Cove and got out of the landrover. Hannibal had gone over the plan. They were to seperate into the Cove's many tunnels. If anyone saw anything suspiciuos they were to signal the rest of the team on the raidos. Katie stared at the magnifficent caves. It was called King's Cove because it used to be a cove a great many years ago. Today it was a magnificent cave system. It's tunnels streched for miles underground. Finding her father would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Katie went into the north tunnel while the rest of the team seperated. Her flashlight lit the magnificent walls of the cave, but she paid no attention to them. Her goal was to find her father alive. She strained to hear any comotion in the tunnel ahead. Nothing. Not willing to give-up she marched on. After a mile her knee began to ach. Then she heard voices.

"How does it feal Your Highness?" a cruel voice asked. "This is the way my father felt when you killed him."

"It was selfdefese." a weak voice replied. Katie quickly relizied it was her father. She gasped when she relized how weak he was. The tunnel was dark but she ran toward the sound of the voices. Then there was a door in front of her. The voices were coming from in there. There was no time to radio the A-team, if she didn't interfere now her father would die. She quickly grabbed her shotgun, it would be extremly useful if she got into a fire fight. Takeing a deep breath she opened the door. A tall man stood next to a chair with a slumped figure in it. The man was in his late twenties, early thirties. He was short and of slender build. His skin was as pale as a sheet, his dark black hair stood out from the rest of his body. He turned quickly when he heard her footsteps. His pirceing eyes starred straight into hers. A chill ran up her spine.

"Cold Princess?" he asked coldly. "How rude of me I haven't introduced myself."

"I know exactly who you are." Katie replied evenly. "James Brooks II I presume."

"Of course madam, the one and only. You caught me at a bad time. It seems your father killed mine."

"Well let us have a battle between each other. Just like our fathers had years ago." Brooks smiled.

"Of course. But no guns." They both put down their guns. Katie kept her mini revolver in her pocket just incase. Suddenly he punched her in the ribs. She steped back and groaned. He rushed at her but she quickly jumped out of the way and punched him in the face. Then he produced a revolver, and pushed her toward the wall. She fell down and quickly took out her revolver. Kicking the gun from his hand she fired. There was a look of shock on his face as he fell to the floor. Katie ran toward her father.

Katie sat in a chair in the hospital room. Her father lay on the bed infront of her. Tears threatened to burst. Then Dr. Reese came in.

"Get some rest Katie." he said gently. "I'll stay here with your father." Katie nodded quickly and walked out of the room. Tears began to flow down her cheeks. She ran blindly down the path to the barn, tripping over over-grown roots and uneven patches of ground. Snow looked over his stall door as she ran into the barn. His elegant face looked at her cursiously. She went into his stall and sat in the back corner, her knee was gripping with pain but she didn't care. Dr. Reese had said that her father had been poisioned and that no one had ever surrvived. The pain of losing her father was more painful than her knee. She wouldn't have anyone that realy understood her and encouraged her. Sure John was there but he couldn't replace her father. She wept for hours. No one came looking for her. Snow nudged her every so often. Then she'd look into his bright, brown eyes.

She stayed in the stall for a few days. Whenever she fell asleep someone would take care of Snow, and when she woke-up she'd find a thermuse and some food in a little bag next to her. Rarely would she eat the food. She felt sick. One afternoon she sat crying. Not just missing her father but in pain. Her knee was extremly swollen. Someone opened the stall door and walked in. Katie didn't even lift her head. Then the person hugged her. She opened her eyes to see her father. How can he be here? Dr. Reese said that no one surrvived. He looked at her, and smiled.

"Dad?" Katie asked.

"Don't worry Katie I'm here." he replied gently. "And I always will be."

Katie stood at Farmond track. Today was a big day for the farm. They would have their first horse in a stepplechase. It was six months since her father had been kidnapped, and now it was just a bad memory. Her father told her that after she had gone he had awaken and was given a stern talk by Dr. Reese.

Katie walked toward the stables. Murdock would be riding Blackie in her first steeplechase because they both got along so well. She would be riding Prince in a small race to get him ready for the Breeder's Cup Juvinelle. Both races would be tense. She had already instructed Murdock to keep Blackie in the back of the pack until the last three furlongs. He had gone to the jockey room a few hours ago. Katie was going to get Blackie.

In the walking ring she led Blackie toward Murdock. He quickly mounted the glossy, black filly. She nodded to him and handed the leadline to an ponyrider. As they headed off she walked toward the rail where John, Julie, Tor, Ashleigh, Rachel, and the rest of the A-team waited for her. Murdock and Blackie were in the number five slot. The rest of the field quickly loaded and then there was complete silence. Sudenly the bell rang and they were off! Blackie, with a powerful thrust, was in a good position on the rail. The rest of the pack was fighting for positions in front of them. Around the second turn Blackie was right were she should be. There was still another mile-and-a half in the race. Around the second turn for the second time Blackie was starting to fight for rein. Murdock soothed her and gave her the rein in the last three furlongs. The black filly took the rein and quickly gained on the leaders. She flashed under the wire three lenths ahead of the leaders! Blackie had won her first race!

Katie crouched over Prince's withers. They were waiting for the the rest of the field to load. Then she heard the call. The bell rang and the gates opened. Prince burst out of the gates. They were in a good position just off the pace, were they wanted to be. The rest of the pack was justling behind them. Prince settled into the position as they went around the first turn. The horses ahead of them fought for the lead. Katie smiled. They'd burn out before the last half mile. As the four furlong pole pasted the leaders started to fall back. Katie waited another furlong and then let Prince have his head. He quickly grabbed the rein and started bearing down on the leader. They were neck and neck as Katie gave Prince the signal to change leads. Prince charged ahead and they were under the wire. They had won! Katie smiled as she slowed Prince who was fighting to keep going. The ponyrider quickly caught up with them and cliped the leadline onto Princes bridle. In the walking ring Katie quickly weighted-out. Then she remounted for the winners photos.

After all the reporters had been shoed away as Ashleigh led Prince away. Katie picked-up Julie and hugged her.

"Mommy." Julie said.

"What is it honey?" Katie asked.

"When I grow-up I want to be just like you."

Chapter 10

A Lost Life

Katie, and Ashleigh looked at the training oval watching the work-outs. Tor and John were back in the barn checking on the horses. The two horses galloped down the backstrech, side by side, neck and neck. At the finish line the riders pulled up the horses and trotted them over to gap. Katie and Ashleigh held the horses heads as their riders dismounted.

"How were they girls?" Thirty-nine year-old Katie asked the exersise riders.

"Great Mom." Thirteen year-old Julie replied. "Star was awsome."

"Perfection didn't want to stop." Rachel said. Both girls were thirteen and shared their parents love of horses, and horse racing. Normally Katie would be riding some of the horses but she had wanted to see them when someone else was riding them. She would be racing both of them on the weekend. Her uncle didn't approve of her racing but he could no longer tell her what to do. She had been crowned Queen three years ago. That basicly ment that she could do whatever she wanted.

Katie and Ashleigh handed the horses over to some grooms, Ashleigh and Rachel walked back toward the barn while Katie and Julie walked toward the paddocks. They looked on as Snow galloped around the paddock. His snow-white coat glistened in the morning sun. When he caught scent of Katie and Julie he troted over. The twenty-six year-old stallion looked just as good as he did back when he had won the Dubi Cup. Julie smiled as she gave him a carrot. Katie knew her daughter admired the beautful stallion. She didn't know who didn't. The two of them walked over to the next paddock where twenty-six year-old Laffeet resided. Laffeet's brown coat glemed with good care and health. Katie gave him a carrot. Sweete cantered around his big paddock. The twenty-six year-old stallion was never happier. Katie and Julie gave carrots to their favorite horses.

"Are you coming to the auction?" Katie asked her daughter.

"Sure Mom." Julie replied. "I want to see if there's another champion hidden in a lanky colt. Star won't mind." Majestic Star was Wonder's latest champion. The seventeen year-old mare was in foal to a stallion from America. Wonder's Princess, Wonder's second, had broken her leg twice racing. Even though her carrer ended so soon the twelve year-old mare was a perfect broodmare. All of her foals had been stars on the track.

Katie and Julie walked toward Whitebrook's van. If they bought horses they'd need the van. At the auction Katie parked the van near the back, and they walked toward the stables. Katie had been hoping to find another Wonder, or Heart, or another Snow. They walked toward the yearling section. Katie looked at a couple and wrote down a few hip numbers. In the horses in training Katie saw another potential racer, Second Life. The colt would be a perfect challenge for Whitebrook. His grey coat shone with good care. Looking at the bloodlines Katie saw that there was not one racer in his family. The two-year-old colt was perfect. Katie wrote down his hip number. She and Julie walked toward the broodmare and foal stables, hopeing to find some mares to replace Concrete Angel and Lovely Spirit who had to be put down a few months before because of old age. They may be gone but their foals have been the best Whitebrook had ever seen. Julie looked around and spotted a mare she liked.

"What about that one Mom?" she asked pointing at a red roan mare. Katie walked over to the mare. She had twins hideing behind her. Katie looked in her guide and saw a name she never thought she'd see again. Red Rose. She looked at the mare. It was Rose. Writing down the hip number she took one last look at her beloved mare and walked away toward other stalls. Only in the auction tent did she mentilly do the mare's age. Twenty-nine. She couldn't beleive that the mare had acutally given birth to twins. Once the auction started Katie moved Rose out of her mind. She bided on a couple geldings, and a yearling. Then Second Life's hip number was called. She waited till toward the end and raised her card. No one wanted to go higher for a untried colt so she got Second Life for only nine thousand. Katie purchased a couple other horses in training. Then Rose's hip number was called. She didn't get any bids so Katie bided and got her. She and Len where the only ones who knew how fast the mare had been. And since Len had died of a heartattack a few years after she had left that left her the only one knowing Rose's past speed.

When they got back to the barn Katie got some disaproving looks from some of the grooms. Tor, Ashleigh, Rachel, John, and the A-team had come out to see the horses they had bought. They all had looks of disaprovel when Katie led Rose and her two foals out. Katie smiled. The A-team didn't even rember the amazing mare. Then Julie led Second Life out. Everyone was suprised at the hansome grey colt. Katie wasn't suprised, Con was a beautiful horse. She led Rose and her foals toward the mare and foal barn while Julie led Con to the training barn. John and the A-team follow her into the barn. Once Katie had settled Rose and her foals into their stall she turned to John and the A-team.

"Have you gone insane Katie?" John asked her. "The mare has never been tried on the track. We don't know how good she is."

"You may not but I do." Katie replied.

"What do you mean?" Murdock asked.

"Guys." Katie said smiling at the A-team. "You of all people should know."

"Really?" Face asked. Katie walked into her office, returning with a framed picture. It was one she's had for twenty-six years. It was so worn from all these years. Len had taken it while he had watched her. She showed it to the A-team who imeditly reconized it.

"Red Rose?" Hannibal asked.

"Yup." Katie replied.

"Who's Red Rose?" John asked a little confused.

"Years ago we found Katie at a horse ranch that used to be a training stable." B.A. said.

"And a horse there was called Red Rose. Katie first learned how to jockey on her." Face said.

"And how does that make her fast?" John asked skeptily. Katie showed him the picture.

"This is me on Rose when we were trying to catch another horse, Houdini." Katie told him. "My friend Len sent me this picture after I moved away." There was amazment written all over his face. "Len clocked Rose at 45.5 at a mile."

"Wow." John said in amazement. "But that still dosen't mean that her foals are going to be fast. They may turn out to be duds. We don't even know the sire. He could be a claimer that never won a race in his life."

"Well you forgot what I did with Snow." Katie replied.

"Yeah." Murdock put-in.

"But you're not fifteen any more." John replied. "You need to remeber your limits."

"John." Katie said. "I don't intend to retire anytime soon so don't hold your breath."

"I hope you know what you're doing." John told her.

"Don't worry." Katie replied as she walked out of the office. She headed toward the mare and foal barn to see Rose. The mare was contently chewing hay while the foals nursed noisily. Rose turned her head as she heard Katie's footsteps. Katie quickly unlocked the stall soor and walked in trying not to disturb the foals. The little foals looked up at her and ran behind their mother. She walked toward Rose who nickered afectinitly. The beautiful mare remebered her. Katie stroked the mare's elegant forhead. Then she heard the stall door open. She looked behind her to see Julie.

"Hi Mom." Julie said as she walked toward Rose. "What are you doing here?"

"I guess it's time to tell you about my past." Katie told her daughter.

"What do you mean?" Julie asked as she patted Rose's neck. "I thought that you grew-up here. Grandma died giving birth. You found Snow at a race and bought him."

"Who told you that?"

"Uncle Mycroft."

"Well that isn't true."

"What do you mean."

"I never grew-up here. I was born in America. Your Grandmother was American. She met my Father while she was in college. They got married and she got pregnant with me. Then she saw how Mycroft was bossing Dad around and divorced. She moved back to America and had me. After twelve years my Dad tryied to convince her to come back to Scotland. Of course she refused. Then, on my 12th birthday, we were heading back from my party and we were in a carcrash. She died. Then I was sent to live with Mr. and Mrs. Mc Gown who beat me. While I lived with them I met Rose. After a year of that torture the A-team found me. I didn't trust them but after a mission and I competed in an event we became closer than ever. When I was fifteen I was wondering around the Santa Anna Track and Snow chardged at me. I met his owner. Then I became his groom. The next day I became his and Laffeet's jockey. When I was eighteen I met my Dad and found out more about my past than I had ever imagined had been hidden from me. I was twenty-two when your Father and I met. Well you know what happened form then on." The foals finally decided to come out from Rose and investigate Katie and Julie. "We need names for these guys." The small, black fillies needed names.

"Lets see. We have two fillies. How 'bout Midnight Rose and Black Rose." The fillies looked almost the same so it would be hard to tell them apart but the names helped.

"Lets go check on Con."

"Ok." Katie and Julie gave Rose, Midnight, and Black final pats and made their way toward the training barn. Con was stabled in the back. They walked by some favorite horses.

"Hi Plan, hi Star, hi Gal, hi Friend, hi Pride." Katie said greeting each horse.

"Why did you name them like that Mom?" Julie asked.

"You know why."

"Yeah but I love hearing you tell me why."

"Hannibal's Plan because Hannibal always had a plan. Majestic Star, you named him. Faceman's Gal because Face always had a girlfriend. B.A.'s Friend because B.A. always liked kids and they were always his friends. Murdock's Pride because Murdock rode Blackie in her first steeplechase."

Over the next two weeks Katie and Julie worked with Con, lunging him, and backing him. He behaved like a perfect gentleman. Black and Midnight were growing by leaps and bounds. In races against the other foals the twins won most of the time. Whenever she watched them Katie smiled. They showed only a small protion of speed their mother posesed, still the only challenge in the races was each other. Everyone was amazed in the little fillies' speed. Even John was impressed. Often Julie and Rachel would watch the foals after school. Katie knew that the girls were impresed the little fillies speed. Most of the time she knew the girls were thinking about the fillies in three years when the fillies were three and they were sixteen.

Katie sat atop Snow late on afternoon. She was going to ride on the trails. Being Queen wasn't easy. Everybody needing something, it gave her a headache. All she needed to do was to take a trail ride. They troted on the wineding trails. When they reached a large field Katie sat-up straighter and asked Snow for a canter. The gentle horse switched to a graceful canter. They were moving through the field as one, as horse and rider should. In harmony. She pulled Snow back to a walk as they reached a hill that overlooked the farm. They stoped and looked at their home. The rolling pastures, the three blue-and-white barns, the traing oval, and the palace in the distance. She dismounted and sat on the ground next to the great oak tree. Suddenly she felt a wrenching pain in her knee. Groaning she droped Snow's reins and blacked out.

Katie awoke to find it night time. Everyone must be worried about her. She tried to get up but she couldn't. Her knee hurt too much. A warm muzzle gently nuddged her shoulder. She saw Snow leaning over her. Then she felt a warm breath on her neck. Turning she saw Rose standing there next to her. The mare drooped her head, looking at Katie.

"Rose? Snow?" she asked, looking at the two horses. Then she looked at her watch. It was one o'clock am. She strugled to stand-up but she couldn't. Colapsing on the ground she leaned her head against the tree. Snow and Rose layed down next to her, both laying thir heads on her lap. Sleepeness washed over her. She fell asleep in the comfort of her favorite horses. Her dreams didn't give her comfort though. Laying in a hospital bed was her father. Dr. Reese walked toward her. She knew what he was going to tell her. The figure on the hospital bed lay still. Next to the bed was two other beds. John and Julie lay still in each of them. The dieses had taken the lives of many, but she never thought that... A tear trickled down her check.

She woke with a start. It was daybreak. Looking at her watch she saw that it was nine. Everyone was probably worried sick. She'd been gone over eighteen hours. Quickly she got up and looked around. Snow and Rose were grazing a few feet away. Snow still wore his tack. She whistled. Both horses looked up and trotted up to her. She took Snows reins and vaulted onto his back. Grabbing a leadrope from the saddlebag she hooked it onto Rose's halter. Toghter they rode toward the stable. Once she got there she dismounted and gave the horses to the grooms. She walked toward the office to see John. He was probably worried sick. When she got to the outside of the office a groom stoped her.

"Your husband isn't in there, Your Majesty." he said to her.

"Then were is he?" Katie asked him.

"Well last night...."

"Yes?"

"Last night your father was striken by the diesse. He is in the hospital. Tor and Ashleigh are taking care of the horses." Katie dashed toward the palace. The diesse had killed many. It was supposed to kill its victum in forty-eight hours. In the waiting room she saw John, Julie, and her uncle awaiting news. When she walked in Their heads turned. It was clear that they were extremly suprised.

"Katie" John said standing-up. He hugged her. "Your Father...."

"I know." she replied. "A groom told me." They sat down and waited for Dr. Reese to return. He was there just as Katie sat down. There was a look of fear clearly written over his face.

"His Majesty is no better." Dr. Reese annoced "The diesse has taken its toll on him. It is progressing incredibly fast. I've never seen this. There is a very good chance that he won't make it." Katie was in shock. Dad die? No he'll live forever. He will make it. He beat a poison and he can beat this. But Katie knew in her heart that she was kidding herself. No one had ever lived. "I think it would be good if you stayed with him Katie." Dr. Reese said. She nodded and followed him through the twisting hallways. When they reached the room she stoped for a second. Her Father was liying on the hospital bed. His figure was so still. Katie knew the diesse killed its victums slowly. They suffered greatly. She sat in a chair next to the bed. Her Father's face was pale white.

During the next few days her Father didn't wake-up. Katie only moved from the seat to shower. Dr. Reese said that he wasn't any better, but Katie didn't give-up hope. She knew that odds didn't matter as long as the person had heart, and she knew her Father had plenty of heart. He never gave-up. Dieing wasn't an option. Then her Father awoke for the first time since he was dignosed.

"Dad?" Katie asked, holding his hand.

"Katie." he said weakly. "I love you."

"Don't give-up yet."

"I'm sorry Katie."

"Dad I need you."

"You must go on and be the best mother for Julie. She and John need you."

"But Dad..."

"Katie you must go on.You can't forget that you have a country to rule. Plus you also have a family, a racing bussiness, and friends."

"I love you Dad." Her Father smiled and gently squezed her hand. Then he closed his eyes. The heart moneter screeched loudly. A solitary tear rolled down her face.

Chapter 11

A Trio Of Champions

Forty-two Katie Holmes Johnson watched as her sixteen year-old daughter, Julie and her best friend's daughter, sixteen year-old Rachel galloped Midnight and Black. The twins were the stars of the farm. Ashleigh stood next to her. They watched the two fillies gallop around the far turn. Katie pressed her stopwatch. She had instructed the girls to breeze the horses a quarter mile. The fillies were heading for the Triple Crown. This weekend they were racing in small alowance races. She was riding Con in a stakes race for five-year-olds. Racing for twenty-seven years had taken its toll on her but she still did what she loved. She was very glad when her daughter had become a jockey. This would be her last year. No big races were planned for her.

The fillies whiped around the track. They quickly passed the marker and the jockeys quickly slowed the energetic fillies. Katie looked down at the stop watch. There was amazement written all over her face. The fillies were faster than any other horse curently in training. She wasn't realy suprised, they were Rose's. Why shouldn't they be fast? The horses trotted out the gap. Their jockeys quickly dismounted and gave the horses to the grooms.

"Good job girls." Ashleigh said. "Now go get ready for school."

"Aw Mom." Rachel protested.

"Ash is right." Katie said. "You two need to go to school now go get changed." The girls walked toward the palace to change while their mothers walked toward the stables.Both were worried about Princess. Mainly because she had broken her leg twice. When they reached the barn they saw the A-team standing by Blackie's stall. The whole team was old now. Not in the same condition as they had once been back when she had met them twenty-nine years-ago.

She had also changed. Now she sometimes had pain not only in her knee but in her shoulder and every where else. Jockeying had taken its toll on her. She had fallen so many times that sometimes her whole body ached. Whenever she felt a need to be near her Father she would sneek out and run up to the hill where he had been buried. There she always felt a sense of peace. Like her Father was sitting there next to her, looking over at the stables. They both had loved that spot. That is why she made sure he was buried there.

"Hi guys." Katie said to the A-team.

"Hello Katie" Hannibal said leaning over his cane.

"What are you guys doing here?" Ashleigh asked. She and the A-team had become best friends.

"Checking on Blackie." Murdock replied. As if on que Blackie stuck her head out of the top of the stall. The mare's eleganant head streched toward Murdock. He patted her small star. Blackie had been bred to Jazz Heart, one of Ashleigh's horses. Katie smiled. Blackie and Murdock were quite a pair. Ever since she was born Murdock was her favorite person. Some horses were like that. They liked certian people.

Katie saddled Snow for a ride. The white stallion stood still as she tightened the girth. Then she quickly bridled him. Grabbing her helmet she led Snow outside to the mounting block. She vaulted onto his back and troted him toward the trails. Katie laid back in the saddle. It was easy to relax on Snow, she knew he'd never run off with her. As they passed the trees Katie couldn't help but remeber back when she and her Father had riden these trails together. She closed her eyes and imagined him right there next to her. He was riding Wonder. Stop kidding yourself. She thought. Dad is dead, and there's nothing you can do about it. I've got to move on. He would have wanted me to. I can't stay in the past when I'm needed in the future. I've got a country to rule. She and Snow reached the hill where her Father had been buried. Dismounting she walked over to his grave. Sighing she took off Snow's saddle and bridle. She could trust him not to run off on her. He walked toward a small patch of grass and began to graze contently. Putting Snow's tack down she walked over to her Father's grave. It was under the big oak tree she had dreamt about her Father's death three long years ago. The stone stood faceing the farm. It had been her Father's favorite place, it only seemed right for him to be buried there. She sat down next to the stone and looked at the farm. I miss you Dad. Why can't you be here with me seeing this beautiful view. Why couldn't you and Mom have stayed? I miss you both so much. A silent tear rolled down her cheek. More threatened but she quickly blinked them back. She couldn't beleive that her Father had been dead three years. It had seemed like a century to her.

We'll always be here for you Katie. A voice said. We never left you. Remember we're always in your heart.

Mom? Dad?

We love you Katie and we always will. The voice faded away and Katie sat-up. She whisled to Snow who troted up to her. After tacking him up quickly she mounted and they walked down the hill. Katie know had the confidence to succede.

It was the first Saturday in May. Today Julie and Rachel were riding both Midnight and Black in the Derby. Both girls were nervious wrecks. This was the biggest race they had been in. Katie knew exactly how they felt. That is how she felt when she had raced in the Derby on Snow. She had been a wreck too. Today she wasn't as bad. She was riding Con and Star in some races but she was also riding a colt named His Majesty in the Derby. In doing this she knew she would be saulting her Father. After Majesty was born out of her Father's favorite horse she vowed that she would race him in the Derby. Julie would have normaly ridden Star but she was so nervious that Katie had decided to race him. This would be her twenty first Derby in her twenty-seven year jockey carrier. The media were making such a big deal of this. She was always being mobed by reporters. Not just because of her carrier but because she was the first Queen to race horses. They anoyed her so much.

She walked into the walking ring for Con's race. John led him around the ring and then stoped at a saddleing box. She walked toward him and handed him the saddle. He quickly put the saddle on Con while Tor held his head. The grey stallion pranced eagerly as she vaulted onto his back. Tor handed the leadrope to a ponyrider and gave her a thumbs up. The post parade went smothly and Con loaded into the gate like a prince. Since they were in the number 2 postion she'd have to get him out quickly to avoide the rest of the pack. The call came that all the horses were loaded came and Katie crouched even lower to Con's withers. Then the gates burst open and with a powerful thrust Con got them clear of the pack. They settled into a comfortable fourth and waited. The leaders fought continusly until the last four furlongs. Then Katie gave Con some rein and he shot forward and quickly passed the tiring leaders. But then a horse came up on their left side, trying to take the lead. Instingively she knead her hands on Con's neck. The gray horse imeaditly responded by pulling ahead of the other horse, but the other horse still had some left. They battled for the lead. Then just before the wire the other jockey pulled up his horse. Katie and Con flashed under the wire in first!

Katie sat atop Majesty as they waited for the gates to open. She had won her race on Star by three lenths. Now she was tense for this race. It was the Derby. Julie and Rachel were on either side of her. All three wore Whitebrook's blue-and-white. Katie glanced to the other sides of her. Both girls were tense. In Katie's mind they both look beautiful. Julie rode Midnight and Rachel rode Black. She crouched down lower and grabbed a hunk of brown mane. Then the gates flew open and they were off! Majesty got them into his favorite position, right in the center of the pack. Katie saw Julie and Rachel up ahead but she didn't have time to think about them as they went around the first turn. Some of the horses around them began to move up but Katie kept Majesty back. She saw that Julie and Rachel were doing the same thing. As they came to the backstrech Katie gave Majesty just enough rein to get by the rest of the field, but kept him from going full out. He needed his strengh just incase there was someone who decided to chalange them. They swept past the field and quickly took first. Then, with one furlong left, Black came-up on one side of her and Midnight came up on the other side. The three horses were in a deadlock. They passed the finish line and the board flashed "Photo Finish." After three tense minutes the results were posted. It was a three-way win! Katie troted Majesty toward the winners circle and saw Julie and Rachel do the same.

When she remounted for the winner's photos she smiled nicely for the camara. This is where she should be. Looking at Julie and Rachel she smiled, knowing that this was a big excitment for them. They had never dreamed that this would happen. To tell the truth she never thought this would happen either. Thank you Mom and Dad. Thanks for the help.

Epilogue

Katie stode tensly in the walking ring under the flood lights in Dubai. She was rideing Con in the Dubai World Cup. She watched as John led Con toward her. She handed him the saddle. Then she vaulted onto Con's back. Nodding to John she gathered the reins and steered Con toward the track. The post parade went quickly and before she knew it they were in the gate waiting for the gates to fly open. Then the call came and a second later the gates flew open. They were right on the rail and waited for the field to tire. Con easily stayed in fourth. Katie smiled as she watched the horses in front of her. As they flew down the backstrech the leaders began to tire. With three furlongs left Katie gave Con a fraction of rein. He powered past the leaders and led by three lenths. Then she let him out another notch and he increased his lead by five lenths. Then Katie chanced to look up at the board and saw that they were coimg to brake the record. She gave him the rest and he flashed under the wire twenty lenths ahead of the compition! She slowed Con down to a trot and steared him to the winner's circle.

She remounted for the photos. In her heart she knew that her parents were watching her from somewhere. Nothing could be better than this. I couldn't ask for a better end to my carrier.

"Three years ago" she annoced. She and everyone else had thought of this as a great idea. "His Majesty, Micheal Johnson passed away. This win is a tribute to his memory."