Fan Fiction ❯ The Military Dogs Pet ❯ Take Me Away From Here ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I wish someone just would take me away from here.” Mell said as she walked into her apartment from another day as a freshmen. She was just waiting for it to end, it was almost the end of the year, and summer was just out of her reach. “Then I wouldn't have to come home.”
 
Mell turned and locked the door before turning back around looking in the mirror that reflected the image of her parents' room, but there was nothing there as usual. She was just a little paranoid and really hopeful that something wouldn't be the same. Sure she knew that she shouldn't wish for the things that she did, but let's face it nothing like that would ever happen to her, hell the things she wished for would never happen to anyone, ever.
 
Mell picked up the cordless phone and dialed her dad's cell-phone. Once he answered she said, “I'm home…”
 
“Good, I'll see you tonight, be careful.” He said from the other line.
 
“I will, see you tonight.” Mell said through slightly clenched teeth, and waited for the drawn out beep to tell her that he'd hung up then hung up herself. “He'd die if he didn't tell me to be careful…” Mell muttered to herself as she dropped her backpack on the two person couch.
 
Mell smiled down at the white fur-ball that looked up as she ran around her feet. “Hey puppa!” Mell said the nickname happily to her puppy, who really wasn't a puppy anymore. After a while she stopped and walked away into Mell's parents' room.
 
Mell walked back to her room opening the door saying, “Room sweet-person I don't know…” Mell trialed off once she looked at her computer chair to find someone sitting there boredly.
 
“Don't scream.” The guy said his hands out pleadingly as he stood up.
 
“That never helps anyone…” Mell said shaking her head as she started backing up ready to bolt out of the room.
 
“Nice reasoning.” He said grabbing her arm, effectively stopping her from fleeing. “Now calm down for me.”
 
“I'm not doing anything for you.” Mell said in a matter of fact tone as she glared at him.
 
“Right…” The guy said with a sigh. “Look, just sit down for a moment.”
 
Mell sat down on her computer chair stiffly. She didn't want this anymore; she had been really stupid to want it in the first place. “Daydreams don't come true!” Mell thought franticly. “But then again a romantic thing coming out of this is slim to none.”
 
“My name's Kaie means warrior or something in Celtic…but that's off topic…” Kaie added the last part quickly, as he shook his head.
 
“I'll say…” Mell sighed hitting her head back on the chair.
 
“Look you're going to think I'm a psycho when you hear what I'm going to tell you, so give me a break would you.” Kaie said glaring at her.
 
“He's here to kidnap you though he won't get charged with it because he's part of a secret military group and needed someone, and he chose you.” An older man said walking in the room.
 
“How do you people keep getting in my house?” Mell whined hitting her head against the chair again. “Does my house have a big neon sign saying, “Mell's here come get her” please because if there is I need to unplug it.”
 
“Would you calm down already?!” Kaie said in an annoyed tone. He didn't seem mad at her, just frustrated with everything that was happening.
 
“I'm sorry if I can't be calm when I'm apparently getting kidnapped by a government lap dog!” Mell yelled at him standing up and taking a step towards him. “But if you're stressed imagine how I feel!”
 
“Back down and shut up would you?!” Kaie yelled back at her. “You have no idea how I feel about this!”
 
“You selfish jerk!” Mell yelled stomping her foot. “I can't believe you!”
 
“Both of you shut up now!” the older man yelled in a military tone. Mell flinched and Kaie took a deep breath. “Good. Both of you are going to go sit down somewhere, in this room, and talk. I'm going to be making a few calls to finalize everything, so stay here.”
 
Once He left Mell walked over and sat on her bed. “It serves me right…”
 
“Hmm?” Kaie asked sitting next to her so they were nearly touching.
 
“Nothing…long story…” Mell said shaking her head looking at the ground in front of her.
 
“It's my experience that long stories are never that long.” Kaie said with a smile.
 
“You know how people tend to daydream a lot, and sometimes they daydream about the most absurd things?” Mell said looking in the opposite direction of Kaie.
 
“Yeah.” Kaie said urging her to go on.
 
“Well this is strangely along the lines of one of mine…” Mell said shaking her head, feeling really stupid that she was telling him this.
 
“I knew I made the right choice.” Kaie said with a smile as he leaned back on his hands.
 
“Care to clue me in, bud?” Mell asked looking back at him.
 
“Well you see we're here because my keepers, or whatever you want to call them, that guy that yelled at us being one, decided that I, like many of the other guys my age, needed someone. Though at fourteen you were the youngest one for me, you seemed the most, I don't know, real.” Kaie said with a shrug at the end.
 
“And exactly how old are you?” Mell asked still looking at him.
 
“Eighteen, so I'm about four years older then you.” Kaie said looking back at her with a light smile.
 
“Oh.” Mell said with a nod.
 
“Yeah.” Kaie nodded at her. “I know some things about you, so anything you want to talk about?”
 
“Have you been watching me?” Mell asked looking back in front of her, though she was a little more relaxed.
 
“Yeah sometimes.” Kaie hesitantly said sitting up all the way. “You seemed to always realize when I was around. I don't know how, I never made a noise.”
 
“The world was holding it's breath…” Mell said softly, “you were watching me yesterday when I got off the bus, huh?”
 
“Yeah I was.” Kaie said with a nod. “So you know that feeling?”
 
“Yeah, it's kind of weird, usually I hear crickets and birds, yesterday and a few other days there was just nothing, no noise.” Mell said with a shrug.
 
“I see…” Kaie mused to himself. “Well is there anything else you want to talk about?”
 
“What's going on?” Mell said fully aware that he didn't mean about the situation at hand.
 
“They want me to have a companion.” When Mell looked at him strange he said, “It doesn't have to be romantic, basically they just want me to have someone around that isn't a…well a dog of the military as you put it.”
 
Mell felt guilty now. “I didn't mean it like that…”
 
“Yes you did.” Kaie said looking at her knowingly.
 
“I was just mad, you aren't a lap dog.” Mell said looking at the ground. “Lap dogs choose to be one, you don't seem like you choose anything that happened to you.”
 
“I didn't…” Kaie said, and looked at her for a moment before the older man walked in saying, “You two are going to be leaving now.”
 
“What about my family?” Mell asked standing up.
 
“You might see them…until then you'll be updated on how they're doing every so often. They'll know what happened, and everyone else will be told you went to boarding school on a scholarship.” He said looking at her sympathetically.
 
“Right.” Mell said holding his gaze.
 
His gaze went from a look of sympathy to a look of respect. “Grab anything you want and put it in a bag.”
 
Mell waited for him to leave before walking over to her closet and basically disappearing into it. After a few seconds things started flying out at random. Clothes, art supplies, two packs of paper, and a bag of pencils were some of the things that Kaie dodged or caught and put in the pile that had formed.
 
“That's a small closet, how'd you do that?” Kaie asked when she half walk half crawled out of her closet.
 
“It has two sides.” Mell said sliding the door closed to show the other door that was behind it, before opening it again and taking out some other things but stuffed them into the bag quickly, them being personal things that didn't need to be seen. “Do they plan on getting me clothes or should I pack all of mine?”
 
“Just enough for a few days.” Kaie said looking at the ones that were on the floor, all jeans with T-shirts, but one tank top. “You'll be able to get some by then.”
 
“Ok” Mell murmured as she put the things on the floor into the bag, it was her old backpack from junior high but it was reliable, it wouldn't fall apart on her.
 
“Take this.” Kaie said grabbing a little stuffed dog off her bed. “You might want it…”
 
“Thanks…” Mell said barely above a whisper as she took it in her arm and grabbed her CD case that held about twenty CD's and her CD-player.
 
“No problem.” Kaie said searching the room for anything that he would want if he was her. “Do you have a picture of your friends and family?”
 
Mell put the current things she had in her hands in her bag, and then stood up looking for something. “Yeah, it's around here somewhere.” Mell walked over to her bookshelf and got down on her hands and knees shifting books around. “All of my stuff I don't take I'll get right?”
 
“Yeah you'll get what you want in here in a week or so, but they're still going to buy you clothes, so you can be different if you want.” Kaie said as Mell stacked three books on top of each other and then grabbed a photo album.
 
“Found it.” Mell said as she put it on top of the books.
“I have no more room…” Mell grumbled and then she threw her hands in the air slightly yelling, “Screw it.”
 
Kaie watched silently as Mell reached in and pulled out the thing of art supplies grabbed some pens from inside and put them into the pencil bag then effectively stuffed the photo album in the bag along with the smallest of the books, before zipping it up.
 
“There…” Mell said looking around slowly. “It's funny you know. To think I'll never see this place…”
 
“You'll be fine…and you might see it again” Kaie said as Mell picked up her bag with ease even though it looked rather heavy, and about to burst. “I'll watch out for you.”
 
“Thanks…” Mell said looking to the side.
 
“Least I can do; I did get you in this mess.” Kaie said as he led the way out of Mell's old room.