Fan Fiction ❯ The Military Dogs Pet ❯ We'll Work From There ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Please don't be mad at me Kaie…” Lena pleaded as she unlocked the door for them and opened the door. “I swear I didn't notice what he was up to until it was too late to stop him.”
 
Kaie glared at the girl as he walked in passed her before she shut the door. “Don't be mad?! Jake almost killed her, Lena! Damn it when I said you could take her out shopping I thought you'd protect her for me! I promised her when she got here that I'd watch out for her and protect her!”
 
Lena followed him back to his room where he put Mell down on his bed as she said, “I know, but I didn't know that he was that big of a threat to her…If I had I would have stopped him from talking to her.”
 
Kaie pulled the covers over Mell before walking out of his room with Lena. “Didn't she look distressed or mad? Come on Lena you know that Jake doesn't like me at all, why would he be nice to Mell?!”
 
“They were on the other side of the store; I couldn't tell that she was upset.” Lena insisted.
 
Kaie glared at Lena and opened the door saying in a growl, “Get out!”
 
Once she left he went back to his room and sat down next to Mell. Kaie hated seeing her like this, she look so fragile now, now that she wasn't messing around with him, and all that. Mell had never seemed like glass to him, but now it looked like anything could break her.
 
He had gotten a call from the infirmary that Mell had been stabbed in the stomach and shoulder, that was about twelve hours ago; he had never run so fast in his life. They had thankfully taken her to the building two down from the living quarters and not to the nearest civilian's hospital three miles away. The infirmary was the hospital that all the military families in the area used, and they also had students studying there to become doctors.
 
They had finally said that he could take Mell home if he wanted to seeing as she was awake and there really was nothing more for them to do for her all she needed was rest now, and he had quickly done so after Lena helped her into some clothes that Kaie had brought. Lena had her car so she drove them over; Mell had fallen back asleep in the little time it took to get her to Kaie's room.
 
She had orders to stay in bed for the next few days and Jason, the guy who had been there when he first met Mell, said he had those days off so he could watch out for her.
 
“Kaie…we home?” Mell asked looking up at him.
 
“Yeah, can't you tell, my beds more comfortable then the beds in the infirmary.” Kaie joked slightly.
 
“True…” Mell lightly laughed as she managed to sit up and lean against Kaie with his help. “So tell me how long am I stuck in this bed?”
 
“About a week…maybe less, maybe more.” Kaie said held her against him. “But you're not leaving until you're able.”
 
“You've gone into protective “I have to do everything you say” mode huh?” Mell asked she looked up at him with some humor in her eyes.
 
“That's right.” Kaie said with a laugh. “I get to watch you and you have to do what I say.”
 
“And I get to whine and ignore you.” Mell said hopefully.
 
“Not a chance.” Kaie said shaking his head. “Besides, you might be hurt but that doesn't mean that I can make you blush until you see it my way.”
 
“Evil…” Mell mumbled as she “glared” at him. “Pure evil…”
 
“Aren't I though?” Kaie said with a cute look on his face.
 
~
 
Kaie watched as Mell's dream seemingly turned bad. Her face scrunched up and she hugged her stomach in imagined pain. Kaie mumbled soothing things to her as he rubbed her back hoping to lull her back into a calm dream, or at least out of the bad one.
 
“Kaie…” Mell whined in her sleep.
 
“I'm here…” Kaie said kissing her forehead tenderly. “Calm down…”
 
Mell suddenly opened her eyes and looked around before sighing. “But…” Mell bit her lip, tears clouding her eyes. “You weren't then…”
 
“Fuck…don't cry.” Kaie mumbled the first part as he hugged her to him as he sat them up carefully. “Please…I'm sorry I wasn't there, I'm sorry I didn't stop him.”
 
“It just hurt so much, Kaie!” Mell cried as she held on to him. “And I couldn't stop him! And no one was there to help me…”
 
“Shh…” Kaie whispered in her ear trying to calm her down as he carefully moved her so she was straddling his waist. “I'm here now…”
 
Mell tried to stop crying but she just couldn't stop. She had been so afraid and Kaie wasn't there, and no one was helping her. She wrapped her arms around him and listened to his soothing words and promises. She had forgotten almost everything that happened after he stuck the knife in her stomach, if she was even awake to see it.
 
After a while Kaie looked at Mell to see that for the most part she had stopped crying and then lifted her chin and said as he looked her in the eye, “I'm sorry I wasn't there. I promise that I'll always protect you to the best of my ability, and that you'll never be without my help, or someone else's who can do just a good a job as me.”
 
Mell nodded slightly at this. She knew he would never intentionally break his promise to her. “I believe you.”
 
“Good…” Kaie sighed before kissing her intently on the lips.
 
~
 
“She's fragile…” Kaie said to Jason later that day while the doctor checked on Mell. “I never saw her like that before this, she just seemed like I would have to worry about something like this with her.”
 
“You never notice how fragile something is until you break it, Kaie.” Jason said with a shrug as he looked at the younger guy. “But she's strong to the point that she could have died if she wasn't.”
 
“I know.” Kaie said leaning back on the couch and looking at the ceiling. “But it make's you feel guilty when something like this happens and it's your fault they're here to begin with.”
 
“Would you prefer her to go home?” Jason asked watching Kaie for his reaction.
 
“I'd die…but if it was for her wellbeing I'd let her go…” Kaie said looking at Jason.
 
“If you care about her that much you'll make it through this, and much more.” Jason said as the doctor came out. “Pay attention to what the doctor say's and follow his directions exactly, don't do anything half assed.”
 
“Yes sir.” Kaie said as Jason got up and walked out of his apartment. “Anything I should know?”
 
“Not really she's healing nicely, nothing to worry about. Just help her change her bandages around her stomach every day until it's almost all the way healed, I took care of it today so you don't have to worry, and her arm shouldn't need to be changed more then once every two days, that one was very minor. I left quite a bit of bandage in your room by the way.” The doctor said with a nod.
 
“Anything else?” Kaie asked as he followed the doctor to the door.
 
“Not that I can see, she was a little shaken up, I suggest that you try not to stress her too much, and no major exercise, but let her move around a bit, you don't want her to have problems moving when she's healed, but no farther then the couch out here.” The doctor said before he left.
 
Kaie shut and locked the door after saying a thank you. At least she'd be happy about getting out of bed for something other then using the bathroom. Kaie smiled a bit as he walked back to his room and walked in. “According to the doc you can move around a little.” Kaie said walking up to her to help her out of bed.
 
“Woot!” Mell said with a smile. “I knew that doc was a good guy.”
 
“Yup.” Kaie said with a nod. “So can you walk on your own?”
 
“Um…” Mell leaned away from Kaie slightly. “Kinda…”
 
“I'll help today.” Kaie said letting her put most of her wait on him as he kissed her temple, “We'll work from there.”