Fan Fiction ❯ The Misadventures of Tsuki and Nikko ❯ Cookie Dough ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Episode 6: Cookie Dough





"I’m back!" yelled Tsuki as she stepped in the door with two white plastic bags dangling from what might have been considered arms if they didn’t almost touch the floor from the weight of the bags.

Nikko pranced into the front hall but came to a dead stop when she caught sight of the bags and how much they weighed. She simply stared bug-eyed. "You actually went grocery shopping?"

"Mhm," Tsuki groaned. "There are more bags in the car, so go fetch."

Suddenly, a medium-sized black blur zoomed out of the door, leaving Tsuki wide-eyed and crumpled in its wake. Nikko grinned like the Cheshire cat. "I taught my puppy a new word today!"

"I can tell. Let me guess… That monster of yours learned how to fetch." groaned Tsuki. "Now if only you could be as useful as your monster tries to be and go get the rest of the bags while I try and untangle myself." Nikko gamboled out the door to retrieve her puppy and help lug in a few of the numerous bags from the car

"Hmph. You’d think she’d be a little more impressed with my dog training skills, but nooooo," Nikko mumbled as she grabbed a bag. She peeked in to see if Tsuki had purchased any goodies—anything that was sweet and not nutritious. A tube of slice-and-bake cookie dough fell out of the bag and rolled on the pavement. "Hmm," Nikko mused. "Poor dough. Out here, all alone in the sun… If it stays out here, it’ll spoil… I should do it a favor… I mean it’s practically begging to be eaten—so what if it’s only in one sitting?"

Nikko stealthily snuck back into the house, carefully putting the precious contents of her bag away. "If I let Tsuki put this away, she’ll put it somewhere I’ll never be able to find. Good grief… It’s like she thinks I’ll eat it all or something!" chuckled Nikko to herself.

Nikko skipped into the study room where she flopped onto the swiveling chair in front of the computer. She vigorously began clicking at the computer screen, first pulling up the CD-burning program, then selecting just the right songs. "Ugh… this is going to make me sick! All this mush! I didn’t think even I was capable of plotting something this evil!" she remarked as she surveyed the romantic songs she had chosen. "I can’t believe anyone would actually write something this revoltingly mushy…" She checked all the songs, put a blank CD into the burner drive, and clicked on the "burn CD" button. After a few minutes it was finally finished. Slowly and carefully, Nikko crept down the hall to Tsuki’s room. She put her ear to the door and heard Tsuki on the phone to Duyen, one of her classmates, talking about all the homework that was due the next day. "Good," Nikko thought. "She’s occupied."

Quietly, Nikko went back down the hall and paused at the doorway that separated the hallway from the living room. Suddenly she heard a door click. She turned around and saw Tsuki strolling down the hall towards the kitchen.

"Are you off the phone already?" Nikko inquired.

"Yeah. I’m glad too. Duyen wanted to get together and study history. I told her she could come over here for a while and help me study since I helped her in her French. You know she’s Vietnamese and has enough trouble translating from Vietnamese to Japanese, without translating from Vietnamese to Japanese to French and back again."

Nikko looked blankly at Tsuki. "I needed to know all this because…."

"She’s coming over and I’m baking cookies for us to munch on while we study. You know studying hard works up an appetite."

Nikko continued to stare blankly, trying to hide the horrible chill down her spine to think that her precious cookie dough would soon be baked and for a guest as well!

"Maybe you don’t know that… I mean it’s not like you study or anything," Tsuki joked. "Nikko, you’re starting to creep me out staring like that… Hello? Earth to Nikko," she called as she waved a hand in front of Nikko’s face.

That did the trick. Nikko snapped back into reality. "Ohyeah,sure… Ihavesomestufftotakecareof,seeyouinalittlewhilebye" she managed to choke out before she rushed into the living room, nearly knocking Tsuki over for the second time that day. She quickly grabbed a manila envelope, shoved the CD into it, stuck a stamp on it, ran out the door, loudly opened the door, and yelled "MAIL’S HERE! I THINK THERE’S SOMETHING FROM TAIYO!" She held out the envelope as a Spanish bullfighter holds out his red cape and awaited Tsuki’s entrance.

Sure enough, the tornado that might on a good day be recognizable as just a lovesick girl in a mad dash for anything that came from her sweetheart entered. Tsuki snatched the envelope from Nikko’s clutches and scurried to her room to open and see what her darling sweetiepoo had sent her.

Nikko was left wide-eyed and astounded. She had expected to get rid of Tsuki, but to make her vanish so promptly was inconceivable. She didn’t let the shock affect her too much as she sauntered into the kitchen where the cookie dough was on the cutting board on the counter, with a knife still stuck in the hard dough. Nikko grabbed the dough and settled down for a nice, long munching spree as she thoroughly enjoyed the spoils of her victory.