Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Dangerous Circumstances ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 6: Dangerous Circumstances

A song echoed throughout the forest and it was haunting. The Orcs snarled nearby but didn't seem to hear it. Selamant froze and glanced around. A strange wind blew his hair back and carried the scent of pine. It felt like the very trees were calling to him and he wanted to answer them. He didn't understand why he knew this but it just felt right.

"Selamant!"

He flinched and turned around. Groto was glaring at him and he glared back. The forest song had stopped when he had lost his concentration, and it was all thanks to that Orc. Tossing his head, he ignored Groto's call again and stalked to the head of their group.

Groto glared after the human and wanted to kill him. They had been traveling for several hours in Mirkwood and the human was driving him crazy. Selamant would not obey any of his orders and would disappear frequently. None of his trackers could keep find the mortal and he only appeared when he wanted too. And now the human had been in a daze for several seconds and had ignored him. He could hear the other Orcs snickering and snarled. That human was a bit disconcerting and annoying at the same time. He wished again that his captain Feun had been assigned to this mission and not him.

Selamant stalked right to the head of the Orcish group and ignored them. Groto was so irritating and he wished that he was not in charge of this mission. Shrugging his shoulders, he decided to ignore Groto for a while and let out a sigh. He smirked and whistled a merry tune. It made him feel warm on the inside and he could hear the Orcs grumble in anger. Since leaving the forest of Rhun, he had done nothing but annoy the Orcs and especially Groto. His dreams had been a bit disturbing of late and the best way to cheer himself up was to mess with Groto. That Orc was the best remedy for anger and if you were just having a foul day. Groto was gullible enough to fall for the easiest tricks and he just hated happy people. He could feel the Orc glaring at him and almost laughed aloud. A chill went up his spine and he froze. He slid to a halt and he cocked his head. White hair spilled over his shoulders and pale silver eyes narrowed. There were many dangerous things that dwelled in this forest and one of them was the elves. Something dangerous was up a head and he was curious as to what it was. He could feel the Orcs slowing to a halt near him but he didn't glance there way.

"Selamant what...."

Raising his hand, he heard Groto snarl and quiet down. Taking a few steps forward, he quickly blended into the forest and was gone.

One of the Orcs sighed half-heartedly and watched the mortal leave. "There he goes with his vanishing act again."

"Yea." another Orc replied. "Aren't we supposed to stick close with the human?"

A grumble spread through the camp, but Groto glared at them all and they soon quieted. "We set up camp here and will wait for the wretch!"

"But Groto the lady said….."

Groto stalked over to the Orc and slammed his fist into his face. There was a satisfying crunch of bone and the Orc screeched in pain. Glaring at the others, he watched as there eyes dropped in fear and smiled in satisfaction. Turning around, he glanced at were Selamant had disappeared and wanted to choke the boy. The plan was for them to stick together but it didn't look like the boy could careless. He just hoped that he wouldn't get in any trouble or the elf-witch would have his head. Settling back against a tree, he leaned against and prepared for a long wait.

~

"But my prince…"

"No."

"But..."

"Please I wish to be alone for a moment." Legolas gazed at Yeldena and the other elves. All of them had unhappy looks on there faces and he sighed. "I will return in a little while alright?"

"Alright." Yeldena replied grudgingly.

The other elves still didn't look too pleased but nodded. Turning around, Legolas strolled into the forest and didn't look back. It had been a frustrating few days and wasn't getting any better. They had been near the borders of Mirkwood for days and had only seen one group of Orcs. The only thing that group had done was scout around before leaving Mirkwood again. It was a strange thing for Orcs to do but then again they weren't that intelligent. Walking through a group of trees, he paused at the edge and gazed about. Night birds sung nearby and a river gurgled a few feet away. Legolas felt nothing evil and walked over to the river. Bending down, he took a sip of the cool water and sighed. It was a bit refreshing and he sat down next to it. This was as good of a place as any and decided to relax here for a moment.

The boy raced through the trees and slowed to a halt. His sword came out with a dull metallic ring and he clutched it firmly. Narrowing his eyes, he crept forward and pushed some branches aside. It appeared that nothing was there and yet he couldn't shake off a sense of forbidding. Selamant hesitantly stepped out of the trees and headed over to the river. Glancing down at the ground, he didn't see any footprints and wondered if his senses were playing trick. He was about to lower his sword but spun around. Silver eyes widened in surprise when his sword was slammed into by twin knives. Blue eyes glared into his and it was an elf.

"What are you doing here?" Legolas asked angrily. He had almost let down his guard when the trees had warned him. A human was coming and he quickly hidden in a tree. Waiting patiently, he had seen the boy step out of the trees and the boy's sword had glinted in the moonlight. This confirmed he was a threat and Legolas had decided to attack first and ask questions later. It had been a bit of surprise when the boy had defended himself and an even a bigger one when he had seen the silver eyes. Estel? The name quickly ran through his mind but he pushed that aside. It was painful to think of the mortal and brought to much sorrow at a bad time. He wondered if he thought of his friend because of his eyes. But this mortal looked nothing like his friend with his long white hair that glowed in the moonlight and pale skin.

Selamant was startled by the question and wondered what to say. He couldn't tell the truth or else he would give his group away. For some reason the elf felt familiar but how could he know him? He had never met an elf before nor seen one in Rhun. All he knew was that elves were the enemy of Orcs well except for the lady. The elf's eyes narrowed even more and he had to think of something fast.

"I am lost."

The elf's eyes showed disbelief and Selamant wanted to curse. Of all the stupid things to say then that had to be it. He watched as the elf shook his head and looked at him skeptically.

"Lost? How in the world can you be lost?" Legolas inquired. That was the dumbest excuse he had ever heard of and he wondered if the boy thought him stupid. For one, what human or anyone for that matter would enter Mirkwood and not know were they were going. Either the human was just crazy or toying with him.

The boy was about to reply when they both heard something snap nearby. An arrow shot out of the forest and before either of them could move it hit. Legolas gasped in pain and dropped his knives. Agony radiated from his back and he moaned. He felt himself fall and then arms encircled him. It felt warm against the boy's chest and heard him calling. Raising his head he looked up and stared at the boy. White hair framed the boy's face and silver eyes showed concern. A longing consumed him and he had to say it.

"Estel?"

Selamant was shocked by the arrow and the elf falling into his arms. It brought a sense of déjà vu and something inside of him stirred. He held the wounded elf closer and called to him. When the blue eyes had met his, the feeling had intensified. He was curious as to the name the elf spoke before he fainted. It was as familiar as the elf in his arms and that was curious. The more he looked at the elf, the more he was convinced that he knew him somehow. Perhaps it was because the golden hair or maybe the piercing blue eyes that could see into ones soul? Or maybe from a dream?

"Selamant!"

Tearing his eyes from the elf, he glanced across the clearing and saw the Orcs. Groto held a bow in his hand and was smiling in triumph. Anger filled him and for a moment, he wanted to walk over snatch the bow and smack him with it. Selamant didn't understand why he was so angry or wanted revenge for the elf. It was a bit unsettling and not right to feel this way for an enemy.

Groto watched the shifting expression in the boy's eyes and knew something was up. Whatever was wrong, he would just keep a closer eye on the boy and report to the lady. Shrugging his shoulders, he walked over to the boy and gazed at the elf. Something glinted on the ground, and Groto eyes widened in surprise and pleasure.

"It's the elf prince!" Groto exclaimed in excitement. "We have found him and can leave this accursed place."

Selamant gazed at the Orc in puzzlement. "How do you know it's the prince? He could be any elf?"

Groto rolled his eyes and glared at the boy. "Our lady said the elf was blond and carried twin knives." Picking the knives up, he held up for the mortal to see. "Theses knives bare the seal of royalty for Mirkwood that only the king and prince can carry. Treat the elf's wounds and make sure he doesn't die Selamant."

Groto watched the boy for a moment and turned away. They finally completed there mission and could return to Rhun. He was glad that he had decided to finally heed the other Orc's words and follow the boy. If he didn't then they still would be looking for the prince and it might have taken longer to find him.

Selamant glared at the retreating Orc and wanted to say no. But glancing back down at the elf a sense of compassion filled him and he knew he couldn't let him die. Laying him gently on the ground, he grabbed his pack and started to treat his wounds. He hoped for the elf's sake that the lady would be merciful and not harm him. Somehow he doubted that and knew that the elf prince's days were numbered.

~

TBC

Hmm some action in this chapter and poor Legolas....he has the worse luck in the world. Well the two of them finally meet and not in a good way. Next chapter things get ahem kind of painful.