Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Realizing Friend from Foe? ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 12 Realizing Friend from Foe?

Galadriel stood next to her mirror and watched the trio of elves approach her. There golden hair glinted in the sunlight and there blue eyes glowed happily. They were her most beloved elves and she treasured them as if they were her own children. No others elves would she in trust on this delicate mission except for them. She watched as the three elves stood before her and bowed.

The eldest elf took a step forward and looked at Galadriel. "You summoned us my lady?"

"Yes Haldir, I wish for you and your brothers to accompany Elrond and the others. I fear they will need all the help they can get on there quest."

"To help save the Legolas and Thraundil of Mirkwood? And to recover Estel as well?" asked Orophin.

"It will not be easy since Estel will be in conflict and unsure which side to choose from. And I fear that the other she-elf involved will not make it easy to retrieve them." she spoke quietly.

"But will not Estel go back to them willingly?" Rumil asked. "I have heard from Arwen of the bond that exists between Estel and her family."

Galadriel nodded and smiled at them sadly. "Tis a strong bond no doubt, but even bonds of love can fail. Estel has two paths to choose from and neither will be easy. No matter which path he takes someone will feel hurt or betrayed in the end."

Confusion flashed in Haldir's blue eyes and he asked, "Does he truly care for this she-elf who has betrayed the light and now walks in shadow?"

"Her soul does indeed walk in darkness now but once upon a time it did not. Perhaps Estel sees something there that only he can see and that's why he trusts her."

She could tell that the brothers were still confused but that was to be expected. It was very rare for an elf to ever turn to shadow but it did happen. Only those who had been hurt or power hungry ever walked this path. Perhaps Serutia did still have some goodness inside of her and would do the right thing in the end. Only time would tell if Estel's trust in her would prove fruitful.

Haldir shrugged and glanced back at his brothers. They appeared just as confused and not at all pleased by her answer.

"Very well my lady we will prepare and depart with the elves from Imladris shortly."

The three brothers bowed to her again and left. She watched them go and sighed. Warm arms wrapped around her waist and she leaned into Celeborn's embrace.

"Do not worry meleth, Estel will choose the right path. We must believe in him or otherwise all will be lost." Celeborn said reassuringly.

"I know beloved, but I will still worry."

The twins stood bickering happily as they fixed the saddles on there horses. Soon they would see there little brother and be reunited once again. It was something they couldn't believe was happening and yet they were truly glad it was.

"When we get Estel back the first thing I am going to do is hug him until he cannot breathe and forbid him from going anywhere for the next twenty years."

Elladan snorted at that comment. "You know for a fact that our gwador will not be idle that long and somehow escape."

"Too true." Elrohir replied in exasperation. "That boy never could sit still long enough and has been that way since infancy."

"Yes and we never did discover how he could escape anything."

"I am still curious about how he does it."

Leaning against his mount Elrohir smirked at his brother. "Do you remember the time that Glorfindel had to baby sit Estel for an hour? I think Ada was busy with something and we were on patrol."

"I do and how he somehow escaped our dear seneschal and couldn't be found for over an hour."

Elladan shook his head mockingly. "What made it so great was Estel was in the library with Ada the whole time and he hadn't even checked there first."

"And dear Glorfindel swore that he would never baby sit Estel again but he did a few weeks later. Our gwador always could wrap Glorfindel around his finger and get him to do anything."

The twins began to laugh and reminisce more of there little brother's escapes. Elrond watched his sons and smiled. It was good to see them laughing and enjoying themselves. For to long they had been saddened and wasting away from grief. Hope had been restored to them once more and soon they would be reunited with there brother again. Excitement flooded his soul and he smiled happily. Soon he would see Estel and nothing would stop his reunion with his son. The only thing he worried about the most was the loss of memory but somehow he would help his son retrieve it.

"Elrond?"

He turned around and looked questioningly at Galadriel. She stood next to Celeborn and Arwen, and was watching him serenely. He was a bit surprised that he hadn't heard them approach but then again he had been deep in thought.

"What is it Galadriel?"

"We want you to take Haldir and his brothers with you." Celeborn replied instead. Elrond was about to ask why but the elf lord held up his hand. "You will need all the help that you can get in order to save your son and the others."

It was true that it wouldn't be easy to fight the lady and her Orcs in Rhun with just the four of them. Still he didn't want to endanger anyone else on this mission but he knew that they wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Very well then."

Galadriel stepped forward and held up a small bag. "When you feel you must feed this to your mounts and it will give them the power to get you to Rhun faster."

"Thank you." Elrond replied. He accepted the bag and smiled at them. Turning around he swung up onto his mount and waited for the others. Haldir and his brothers soon joined them and Mithrandir as well.

Galadriel smiled warmly at them. "We wish you luck and know that you will succeed."

Arwen waved at her father. "Tell Estel hello for me Ada."

Nodding his head at them, Elrond turned his horse and raced out of Lothlorien. He could hear the others following him and there quest to Rhun had finally begun.

~

Selamant gazed down at the elf and let out a tired yawn. Legolas lay sprawled across his bed and was covered in many bandages. Fresh bruises stood out against his pale skin and many faded ones as well. It had taken hours to dress and fix all of his wounds. He grew angry again just thinking about what Feun had done to the elf but sighed softly. There was nothing he could have done then or even now if he wanted too. If he tried to retaliate then he would be slaughtered by Feun or worse given to Groto and who knew what would happen then. Knowing his luck, Groto would torture him to death or make him his slave. The whole situation was aggravating and the elf was the main cause. He gently rolled the elf on his back and whispered soothing words, when he moaned in pain. Placing a hand gently on Legolas's forehead, he sighed again when felt the warmth there. It looked like the elf had a fever and ones of his wounds must have gotten infected. Grabbing a cloth from the table, he wrung out the water and placed it on Legolas's forehead. The elf shifted a bit and began to speak deliriously.

"No Estel no you cannot die and leave me. Please my friend come back!"

The depth of pain in the elf's voice sparked a cord in his soul and it was strange. He wondered who this Estel was and why he had died? Legolas began to cry out even louder and thrashed on the bed. Selamant sat on the bed and tried calling to him, but he was too far in his delirium to hear him.

"It was my fault you had died. If only you hadn't jumped in the way of that arrow then you would still be alive."

The prince began to cry uncontrollably and Selamant carefully grasped his shoulders. He feared the elf would tear open his wounds if he continued to thrash around. What was even odder was somehow what Legolas spoke of seemed so familiar and yet he didn't know why.

"Legolas please you must calm down." Selamant said, but the elf didn't hear him. The elf struggled against him and began to flail about. It was all the mortal could to do hold him down and keep from getting hurt himself.

"How could you come back into this world and not know me my friend? Do you know how much it is breaking my heart because of you?"

The change of subject startled him and he looked at the elf in surprise. Didn't he just say that Estel had died and now he was saying that he was alive?

"How could you have forgotten your past, your family, and even me?" Legolas cried brokenly.

Hearing the pain in Legolas's voice was too much for Selamant and he shook the elf. Tears filled his eyes and spilled down his cheeks. It hurt too much to see Legolas in pain and for once he didn't question his emotions. All he wanted was for the elf to stop hurting and he would do anything to help.

"Please wake up my friend. I fear if this continues you will cause yourself grievous harm." He whispered sadly.

The plea was finally heard and with a gasp Legolas blue eyes opened. That beloved voice had called him friend and he had waited for eternity to hear that again. Looking up, he gazed into silver eyes and smiled warmly.

Selamant gazed down into blue eyes and was truly relieved. It had scared him Legolas had been in so much pain and there was nothing he could do. He was truly glad that the elf had snapped out of the delirium and had awoken.

"Estel have you come back to me?" Legolas asked tiredly.

The blue eyes were looking up at him hopefully and he was intrigued. Why did Legolas keep calling him Estel? Did he look so much like this person?

And why was the name so very familiar to him? The longer he gazed down into the blue eyes, the more they seemed to draw him in. They reflected something there that if he just reached out he would find all that he lost. Not really thinking about it anymore, Selamant laid a gentle hand on the elf's cheek and fell head long into deep blue.

*

Arien shown brightly overhead and clouds drifted across the blue sky. Birds sung happily in the trees and a cool breeze teased the tall grass gently. Estel lay in the grass and sighed. Everything was right in his world or at least it should have been. He missed his family and his best friend dearly. It seemed like such a long time since he had died and yet he somehow knew that not much time had passed at all.

"Estel?"

Sitting up in the grass, he turned and smiled in delight. "Good day Lord Mandos."

Mandos smiled in return and sat next to the mortal. Estel was very curious as to why the Valarian was visiting him but figured he would say in his own time.

"I have come to tell you something very important young one."

"What is it my Lord?"

Estel shivered at the sad expression in the other's eyes and wondered what this was about. A sense of forbidding filled him and he shivered in response.

"You will be grated a chance to return to Arda." Mandos raised a hand to forestall the questions he could see in the mortal's eyes. "But there will be complications."

Silver eyes gazed down at his hands and Estel wondered what it could be. Joy began to fill his soul and he had a chance to reunited with his loved ones. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, he looked up at Lord of Mandos.

"And what are theses complications?"

"Your soul will be returned to your body but your memories will be scattered. You will not know friend from foe or even your loved ones." Lord Mandos told him quietly. He watched the mortal and knew it was a lot for the boy to take in.

Estel's closed his eyes and sighed quietly. Since his death he had discovered a peace here with the Valarian that he had never experienced on Middle Earth. Such a peace was never easy to give it and many never would. It would be very hard to return to Middle Earth and not even know his own family or even there past together. But even still it was worth it to just see them and everyone else again.

"And there is one more thing."

Opening his eyes, Estel regarded the Lord of the Halls of Waiting and knew somehow that it wasn't going to get any better.

"You must somehow regain your past or you will not live to see the future."

The words were cryptic and yet he understood them. Either he remembered all who he once was or he would return here. And this time there would be no return to Middle Earth or to see his family again. He would not fail. Squaring his shoulders he gazed up at Mandos and smiled grimly.

"When can I leave?"

Mandos smiled at him gently. "You will be summoned soon and Estel?"

The boy glanced at him and waited.

"Choices will be given to you and you must choose wisely."

Estel was confused by that comment and what puzzled him the most was why he was being granted his life back. He didn't even know how he was going to regain his memories or even if he could. But before he could question him, Mandos had walked away.

*

Jerking his hand away in shock, he blinked down at the wounded elf. Silver eyes reflected everything he had lost and gained. And for the first time in a long while the mortal felt he was whole once again. But the cost was terrible high and it shown in his silver eyes. Pain and guilt slammed into his soul, and with a cry he fell to his knees. It was just too much to take in and he needed time to think things through. Glancing up, he noticed that Legolas was unconscious once more and let out a sigh of relief. He quickly checked the elf and was relieved that his fever had broken. A small smile showed briefly on his face as he gently brushed back a blond strand from the fair cheek. He remembered his last moments with the elf and how he wished that they still had time to get to know each other better. Those memories brought joy to his heart but sorrow as well. Walking over to the window, he gazed outside and smiled humorsly. It was raining and always seemed to rain when he was in pain. Closing his eyes, he wondered just what in Ilúvatar name he was going to do now. He was a different person and yet he was still Estel. If he had known that it was going to be this bad then maybe he would never have left Mandos's halls. Covering his face, he began to weep uncontrollably for his lost peace and innocence. And the rain continued to drip outside and all was quiet.

~

TBC

This chapter was weird to write because I wrote the second half a long time ago and had to figure out if it went with the first part. So hopefully it will make some sense and uh not be overall confusing. I wonder if anyone noticed that I misspelled Uruk-hai as Ura-kai in Ch 11? Must have been to sleepy or out of it to notice oh well. Updates might slowly down a bit more since I am way behind on my demo reel for college. Sigh so many things to do so little time. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews and keep them coming.