Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ The Memories of the Past ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 13: The Memories of the Past

~

The open plains stretched out for miles and the tall grass swayed in the wind. It was a brilliant day with not a cloud in the sky and Arien shining overhead brightly. But for the party of elves racing towards the forest, it was a not a day to rejoice or even laughter. They had come from Mirkwood on a mission and nothing would stop them from achieving it. The king raced ahead of the others and had a grim expression. Dark thoughts raced through his mind and he worried for his son. He knew that Serutia was capable of anything and who knew what Legolas had gone through. A grimace appeared on his face and he sighed. Memories assaulted his mind and he thought back to the War of the Last Alliance.

~~

In a few days the final battle with Sauron would finally begin and the fate of Arda would be decided. Tension was felt by all and unease was everywhere. In the elven camp emotions rarely seen on elves were leaking through and even the humans sensed something amiss. Something was terribly wrong and made many of the warriors feel uneasy. Deep in the heart of the elven camp, angry voices could be heard and only those with elvish hearing could understand it. Inside the high king Gil-Galad's tent a conference was going on between men and elves, but nothing was being resolved.

A golden haired Sindar elf paced in front of his allies and fellow warriors. He possessed a kingly air and passion flashed in his green eyes. "We should attack now while Sauron knows we are gathering our forces for the finally assault. That way we have the element of surprise on our side and a chance to win."

The dark haired king shook his head and glanced at his companion calmly. "That is not wise Oropher. It would be suicide to attack now and only with half of our reinforcements."

The Sindar king glared at him. "But Gil-Galad by then Sauron will have time to amass his army and attack!"

"That is possibility but we all think it is best to wait for the rest of our army." The mortal king known as Elendil replied. He watched as Oropher glared at him but shrugged. The Sindar king was not fond of humans or even him. Something must have happened in the past and yet he didn't know what. "Tis best if we wait for Anárion and Isildur group to join us. Only then will we be strong enough to stand up to Sauron and defeat him."

Gil-Galad nodded at his mortal friend and smiled. "We will wait for Elendil's sons to join us and that's final."

Oropher wanted to slam his fist on the table and it took everything he had not too. He was tired of the delays and the lack of courage from his allies. Perhaps it was time for the Sindar elves to make there move and force Gil-Galad and Elendil's hand. Half bowing to the two kings, he turned and stormed out of the tent. It took only minutes for him to reach his tent and he ignored all those who greeted him. Stepping inside, he glanced around and noticed his son regarding him worriedly.

Thranduil was startled out of his thoughts when his father had stormed into there tent. He had been thinking of his home and how he missed the trees. It brought a sense of melancholy and he sighed with longing. His father looked very angry and he knew that the meeting hadn't gone well.

"How was the meeting Ada?" he asked cautiously.

Oropher ripped his circlet off his head and through it against the wall. It bounced off the tent and fell to the floor. Gesturing angrily, he snarled and shook his head.

"That fool high king and his mortal pet will be the death of us! We should attack now and not sit around and wait for Sauron to strike first!"

Green eyes widening in surprise, Thranduil cringed at his father's words. It was well known among the Sindar that his father despised Gil-Galad and Elendil, but it was not wise for the whole camp to know. It could cause unrest if rumors spread about Oropher's feelings and that was dangerous before a battle.

"Ada please calm down and let go of your temper. I am sure that they had everyone's best interest at heart and didn't want to attack prematurely. It is best if we wait for reinforcements and then launch our attack."

Oropher whirled around and glared him. The king stalked over to him and grasped him by the tunic. He knew that it was dangerous to have said those words but it needed to be said. His father shook him angrily and dragged him from the chair.

"How dare you say such things?" Oropher snarled angrily. "It almost as if you sympathize with the Noldor and the Númenórean trash."

Thranduil's was shocked by his father's tone and the slight madness in those green eyes. His father was acting even more irrational then usual and this didn't bode well. He knew that the stress of waiting was getting to his father and it was slowly driving him crazy. If only the reinforcements would arrive sooner, then everything would be okay.

Placing a calming hand on his father's shoulder, Thranduil smiled sadly at him. "I am just stating facts Ada and I am trying to understand both sides is all. You know that I am always on your side and the Sindarin elves."

Oropher glared at his son for a moment longer and then blinked. Smiling ruefully at his son, he released him and raked a hand through his hair.

"I am sorry ion nin for doing that to you but this war is getting to me."

"It is understandable. After all waiting before a battle is almost as bad as being right in the middle of one."

The king smirked at those words and smiled at him a bit strangely. A shiver swept down the prince's spine and he felt a horrible forbidding. He watched as his father walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Oropher leaned closer and whispered quietly into his son's ear. "That is why on the fourth day we will leave here and start out for Mordor. I will lead my elves to battle and force the high king's hand."

Shock flashed in Thranduil's eyes and he pulled away from his father. Stumbling he fell to his knees and looked at the king.

Oropher stood tall and smiled arrogantly down at him. "They will not leave us to battle Sauron's forces alone and we will have the element of surprise."

The prince lunged to his feet and shook his head sorrowfully. "This is madness Ada and will bring death to the Sindarin elves. Please reconsider and wait for the reinforcements!"

A loud slap echoed throughout the tent and Thranduil clasped his cheek in surprise. It stung horribly and he gazed at his father tearfully. For a moment regret shown in green eyes and then hardened.

"Do not dare to question me again Thranduil. You will follow your king's orders and obey."

With that parting shot the king swept out of the tent and went to inform his elves. Inside the tent the prince, wiped the blood from his lip and gazed at his hand. He almost didn't hear one of his guards enter and flinched when a hand settled on his shoulder. Kind brown eyes gazed down into his and he smiled sadly.

"I am well Evalnor."

The guard shook his head impatiently. "You are not my prince and what your Adar proposes is foolhardy. We will be massacred and who knows if help will arrive. Isildur and Anárion will not be arriving in mass until the fifth day and by then we will be dead."

Thranduil stood up and faced the guard. He knew that the elf was right but it didn't matter. He had sworn an oath to obey his king no matter what and even if it meant his death.

"Then so be it my friend. The Sindar will die a glorious and honorable death."

"But my liege."

"Silence Evalnor, I do not want to hear this spoken of ever again. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes my prince." Evalnor replied sadly.

~~

Thranduil sighed sadly and leaned closer over his mount's neck. How he wished that he had heeded Evalnor advice and his own conscious. A few days later they had slipped from the camp which has been a small miracle. It hadn't taken them long to find and engage the enemy. They had soon been out numbered and a great majority of the Sindarin elves had been destroyed. If not for Isildur and Anárion arriving so early and the rest of the army coming to there aid then they would all be dead. Still they had lost his father for his foolishness and Evalnor taking an Orc arrow meant for him. He still felt horrible for the things he had said to the elf and never having a chance to say sorry. It was still worse when after the War, he had to inform Evalnor's family of his death and there reaction. The elf's wife had died of sorrow and his only daughter had glared at him in hatred. She had sworn vengeance on him and then vanished. And now it looked like she was finally going through with it and there was nothing he could do.

"My liege?"

Snapping out of his thoughts he glanced over at one of his guards. The elf was looking excited about something and he was intrigued.

"What is it?"

"Esendal is returning from his scouting and it looks like Captain Telindel is with him."

Slowing his horse to a stop, he watched as the riders came closer and waited. The elves half bowed to him and captain Telindel slipped from his mount. Taking a few steps closer, he placed on hand over his chest and knelt in the grass.

"I am truly sorry my liege but we could not rescue Legolas." Telindel said sadly. "The Orcs were quick and entered the forest before we could stop them. There appears to be some kind of spell around the forest of Rhun and none of us can enter."

Somehow Thranduil was not surprised by this and knew it wasn't going to be easy to save his son. He wondered what powerful ally Serutia could have to make a forest impossible for an elf to enter.

"It is fine Telindel. Now remount up and take me to this strange forest. I wish to see this forest and its magical barrier."

He waited for his captain to remount and then they were off once more. The forest was looming closer and somewhere in it was Legolas. Gazing at the forest, he hoped his son was well and no harm had come to him.

~

A horrible voice echoed throughout the forest of Rhun and it sounded like someone was dying. Every now and then a whip crack would echo when the voice would falter. The animals of the forest fled in terror or just covered there ears. It was coming from the heart of the forest and it was near Serutia's mansion. The few humans in camp covered there ears and wished it would stop.

There captain stood leaning against a tree and grinned evilly. He had thought of the perfect punishment for Groto and it was a good example for the others as well. The Orc was trying to singing a drinking song and dance. It was known that Orcs were terrible at this and couldn't carry a tune to save there lives. Groto had a pain filled grimace on his face as his horrible screeching voice made even his fellow Orcs cringe and throw rotten food at him. All in all it was the best punishment ever and Feun cracked the whip at Groto again. He laughed in amusement at the clumsy dance steps and food splattered Orc.

"Captain?"

Turning his head, Feun looked at the human who stood before him. He was a bit peeved for the mortal interrupting his fun but oh well he could continue it later.

"What is it?"

Excitement glimmered in the man's eyes. "The king of Mirkwood is coming!"

It appeared that Thranduil was coming and he knew that the lady would be pleased. Turning to Groto he smiled at him smugly and wanted to laugh at the miserable expression.

"Your punishment is done for now but we will continue this later. Now clean yourself up and return to your duties."

Groto nodded and turned away. A cruel thought ran through Feun's mind and he snapped the whip. It wrapped around the Orc's foot and he pulled. The Orc let out a yell and landed in the rotten food. Laughter rang out in the camp and a few cheers. Feun smirked as he watched Groto struggle to his feet and stomp away. He turned and glanced back at the chuckling human.

"How far away is the king?"

"Less then an hour away, captain."

"Good then return to your post."

Feun gripped the whip and headed towards the mansion. He would inform Serutia of the king and knew she would be pleased. Striding towards the mansion, he pushed the doors open and headed towards the study. Briefly knocking, he stepped into the room and smirked. The lady sat in a chair near the fire and was regarding him coldly.

"Why do you intrude so rudely Feun?"

"Because I have news that you will be most happy to hear, my lady."

"Oh and what is it?" Serutia asked curiously.

Feun's smirk grew larger and his yellow teeth gleamed dully. "Why the king of Mirkwood is coming to our borders."

Serutia's brown eyes widened in pleasure and she grinned. So the king was finally coming to heel and soon he would be her's. Rising from the chair, she walked towards the Orc and stopped in front of him.

"Send word to the wizard that Thranduil is coming and you will escort only the king here. Also inform Selamant that he is to bring the prince down to the courtyard, so that the king may see that we truly do have his son."

She watched as Feun bowed and quickly left. Thranduil was almost in the palm of her hand and soon she would have vengeance for her father. Grinning darkly, she wondered what horrible torture she could put the king through and how satisfying it would feel to be able to do so.

~

TBC

Funny I never realized I have been misspelling Thranduil as Thraundril until the other day so oops my bad. Guess everyone makes mistakes or am I the only unluck one? Well sorry it took so long to update but school is hectic and not alot of time to write. Aw well hope the next chapter will be out quicker since some of it is already written.