Fan Fiction ❯ Thirty Years Returning ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 1

Terry struggled to his feet, squinting to see through the smoky atmosphere of the room - lovingly created by the very short temper of the Joker. The new Batman had hardly enough time to cough when another grenade sailed through the air. In a moment's panic, the boy leapt for safety, hitting the ground with a deep grunt.

A figure approached, grinning and haunched over. He paused beside a table and chuckled, grasping it in his strong hands. Terry gasped and lurched to sit up, feeling the smash of wood against his chest the very next instant. Joker pressed harder, pinning his foe to the ground.

Underneath the over-turned table, Terry struggled for freedom. He winced when a hand slapped over his face, tugging at the cowl and finally stripping it away. Pain-filled blue eyes were revealed to the Joker, reminding him of a time when the unmasking situation would've thrilled him to the core.

Cold fingers moved to Terry's throat, constricting his speech... and finally, his breathing as well.

"Come on, McGinnis! Laught it up now! You miserable little punk... LAUGH!" The clown's face filled to the brim with joy, homicidal urges tugging at his self control. He leaned down over his captive and grinned in response to his actions. "I can't hear you!" he teased.

***

"No!" Bruce raged. "This can NOT be allowed to happen!" His eyes could hardly be peeled away from the sight before him, fuzzy and hardly recognizable for what it was. From his point of view, the Joker's intense expression could be read well.

Terry would die if he didn't act soon.

Hurriedly, the elderly mentor turned and made his way toward the sealed off part of his cave.

***

Blood splattered across the floor, shooting from an open and gasping mouth. "Please..." Terry collapsed a third time and felt his strength vanishing. *Bruce... why aren't you helping me? Why haven't you said anything?*

"Begging? GOOD Batfake! I knew you'd come around!" Joker stood over the helpless teenager and giggled, hair plastered against his forehead. Viciously, he delivered a devastating blow to the ribs, his foot sore and throbbing itself. "You little kiddies are so easy to mess up!"

***

"TERRY!" a deep voice bellowed. "Terry, answer me!"

Inside Jolly Jack's, Bruce Wayne stumbled over an old toy. Instinctively his hands flew out, catching the wall in time. He'd nearly fallen forward, and could've been injured.

It would never have happened in his youth.

The sound of his dog barking alerted him to the location of his young apprentice. By the time Bruce found him, Terry was quiet, eyes closed and chest still. He was splayed out on the floor, his twisted limbs illuminated by the impending threat of a sattelite laser.

It was one of the worst things Bruce had ever imagined he'd ever live to see. He flew to the boy's side and cradled him in his arms, trying desperately to find a pulse. "Hang on," he pleaded. "I can't lose you, too."

Panic swept through Bruce's body. The light of the sattelite weapon was growing larger, nearing the factory with every second that ticked by. Escape would never be possible. He'd signed his death-wish by coming here. Terry would never live to be the man Bruce knew he could be... and Joker was still...

Here.

"You realize, of course, that you're going to die as well." Bruce's voice was hard, edgy enough for Joker to latch onto it. He knew the Clown Prince was standing just behind him. He could feel the way his arch-enemy stared - gawked - at him. It reminded him of a ravenous wolf, starved of food and companionship. For a moment, Bruce imagined he could feel Joker's breath on his neck.

"Nobody's going to die," came a low response. "Well... except for maybe him." A flash of white fingers gestured over Bruce's shoulder, pointing out the bleeding teenager in front of them both.

This time the breath was real, and it brushed over Bruce's right ear, hot and lingering. "Besides, I have a little present for you, Batsy."

"What could you possibly have that I would want?"

"Everything."

Suddenly, the light vanished, and the room darkened dramatically. The sattelite had been turned off.

Bruce turned to look for the Joker, trying to find him in the black space behind him. A soft cackle broke the silence...

*