Fan Fiction ❯ Three wishes ❯ I wish to be loved, and be loved back ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Jamie looked down. “Well, seeing that you can do almost anything I want now… maybe I could… hrm…”
Genie stared into the sky, looking bored, as Jamie continued to talk to herself, thinking about her second wish. Then she snapped her fingers, which intentionally brought the Genie wide awake. “I got it!” Then she snapped around, smirking at the Genie. Genie was slightly scared of what the thief had in mind, but when he looked closer, he realized that her smirk was merely a sad smile. Her eyes, which used to be a bright blue, were now dull and dim. Genie was taken aback by the sudden change of expression. “Jamie, what's wrong?”
“It's just… oh, I dunno.” Jamie turned around from the Genie, as if ashamed of what she was thinking just then. She looked out at the sun that was just beginning to raise, the brightness contrasting her face. Her hair swayed behind her, like a veil protecting the deepest darkest secrets in the thief's soul. “I remember what you said, about how you couldn't make someone fall in love with you… but you just have to meet this guy. He's just so smart and funny… well, maybe he can be a ditz sometimes, and he can also be kinda gross, too. And he can poke fun at me at times, and sometimes he can be just a plain jerk, you know, stealing my things. He's a thief, too. Just not as advanced as me. I'm just a few months older than him. He's great, a really good artist, too.” Jamie sighed. “You'd know if you met him.”
“What's his name?” Genie asked, even though they both knew they couldn't get him to fall in love with her.
“Trey.” Jamie whispered. “I mean, I'm not exactly sure, because he could've just been lying to me when he said that; I disguise my names a lot, too. But, I mean, I told him my name, so that's gotta be his name. We don't meet regularly; we both have thief duties and things we need to do. We didn't meet too long ago. I think I met him in his own little house. I've gotta tell ya, he's got a crappy house. Can't complain, though. I don't even have a house! Usually just crash on a roof, or something. I was jumping around from roof to roof, when I missed and fell down. I managed to hold onto a sill of the window, and jumped in. It was a pretty messy room, dust was everywhere, cracks were in the walls, and scraps of food and rink were all over the floor. I walked around, and I remember picking up a cloth. The cloth was a magenta kind-of color, and had a couple blood stains on it, too, but other than that, it was perfectly clean.
“Then Trey came in and started whacking me with his metal pole. I told him I was just looking around, and he told me that the cloth I had just touched was the only thing he had left of his father. That was when I figured he was an orphan. I saw his ragged clothing and his dirty skin and house. After I asked him, he told me he was an orphan turned into a thief. He didn't have half the brain as I did, but he could still take care of himself. I asked him what his name was, and all he said was, `Isn't it a rule of manner that you introduce yourself first, before you ask the other's?' `Course I was taken aback by the whole situation. I never went up to random people and asked them who they were, and after that, told them my real name. But there was something about him that just made me want to know. I didn't know what that feeling inside of me was, either. But I told him my name, my real name too. And he said his name was Trey. I don't think he ever mentioned his last name. Heh, safe kid. It's not really safe to give a stranger your last name, is it? Heh heh, heh heh heh…”
Jamie's chuckles died away, until a bitter expression was left on her face. Genie looked at it in sorrow, slightly angry at himself that he didn't have the power to give her what she wanted. “Jamie, I'm sorry. You know I can't--“
“Oh, Genie, but you've just got to do this for me…!” The short-haired girl cried. She tried to swallow the lump that had formed in her throat. “I wish for him to love me! I wish for him to love me! I wish… I wish…”
Jamie felt something roll down her cheek, and didn't even bother to wipe it away. This new Genie-Three-Wishes thing was making her feel so different, changing her in a matter of minutes. “All my life, I've just wanted to be accepted. The kids at school, when I still went to school, would always make fun of me, because of the way I looked, because of my skin color, the fact that it was darker than everyone else's. They would call me nasty names, not even caring to hide them. `Here comes the Arabian girl,' `Oh better watch out, the Queen of Thieves is coming,' I bore it until I just couldn't bear it any longer, and ran from home, to this place, to Agrabah. And still, they won't accept me. Not because of my skin color now. Because I'm a thief. I have to eat to live, and steal to eat. All I've ever wanted was to be loved. I want to love, and be loved back.
“Can you do that, Genie? Can you find someone who will love me, and who I'll love back? I don't even care who, I`ll accept them. I'll accept them, not like the way those brats treated me at school. Can you do that? Will you do that for me?”
Genie looked surprised, but scratched his chin. “Hrm, well, it never said I couldn't do that in the rulebook. It's not exactly making someone love you. I'm pretty sure I can do that. Let me hear those words, Master!”
Jamie turned around and smiled widely, arms outstretched to her sides. “I wish to love, and be loved back!” A bright glow outlined her outstretched figure, and for a moment, Jamie felt like energy was being drained into her. She felt so light and giddy, like everything was going to be all right. She felt like the happiest person in the world. And then it all stopped. The glowing, the feeling, it was hard to believe that the feeling had just lasted a few seconds. Now that Jamie was back to reality, she felt kind-of dizzy, like she didn't feel right in this world. She shook her head, trying to rid this feeling out of her. Soon, it left, letting her concentrate on her surrounding better. She saw the carpet, lying flat on the ground, looking like a regular rug, but Jamie knew it was actually lying down from rest or sleeping, if carpets could sleep. Then she spotted the Genie, folding his arms and grinning in happiness, as if he succeeded in doing something and was proud of himself. Jamie looked down at herself, feeling clean and new. Then she raised an eyebrow at the Genie, wondering something.
“Hey, how do I know if the wish worked?” Jamie asked, crossing her arms.
“Well, I suspect that strange glow that emitted from your body proved it.” Genie said simply. “What d'you want me to do, bring you to your future husband?”
Jamie blinked. “No, no. It's too much work, and just a waste of time, anyway. I've still got my third wish, right?”
“Right.”
 
-----
If you think I end at weird places, I don't blame you. BUT that's because I originally didn't separate this story into chapters. It was all just a twelve-page-long story. Oh well, haven't got much time. (Gotta catch the bus again, if you know what I mean)