Fan Fiction ❯ Through the eyes of a Princess ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Zelda. I don't even own a copy of the game. It's my brother's. I have no money, so don't bother suing.

*****WARNING***** This fic contains BIG spoilers if you have not completed the game. I will not be held responsible for ruining your enjoyment of the game. If you haven't finished the game, and I MEAN finished, then don't read if you don't want to know what happens. Don't come crying to me if you ruin the ending for yourself.

(A/N) This is the longest fic I have ever written. There are probably mistakes I have missed, and if you find any or wish to dispute something in the action, please tell me. Much of the dialog is directly from the game, but not all of it. If you think a quote is wrong, tell me, but please have some way of backing it up. Don't just say `so-and-so' didn't say this, cause I will ignore that. If you want the site I found the quotes on ask, it has pretty much every word in the game. It also took forever to find, so save yourself the trouble and ask. One more thing, Sheik is a separate person in this fic, but Zelda is also Sheik. Confused? It will make sense. Please do not flame me because Sheik is separate, just read the fic. It will explain. This is Link's adult adventures as seen by Zelda, cause we already know Link's story from playing the game. I hope you enjoy reading this!

*This* means thoughts.

"This" means speech.

/This/ means italics.

~This~ means telepathy. It will make sense when you read it.

*********** means a change in point of view.

~~~~~~~~~~means a change in time and/or place, but the POV stays the same.

****************************************************

When the Gerudo Thief Ganondorf took Hyrule Castle, the Sheikah warrior Impa fled with her young charge, the Princess Zelda. They escaped the clutches of Ganondorf and went into hiding with the remainder of the Sheikah people, deep in the desert, beyond the range of the Gerudo. For seven years the young princess grew and trained with the Gerudo, becoming good friends with a boy her age known as Sheik. They became very close, but each had an important destiny. Zelda was the bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom and the Princess of Hyrule. She would help to seal Ganondorf's evil when the Hero of Time was returned from the Sacred Realm. Sheik would guide the Hero through his mission, giving him cryptic messages telling him what to do. They both knew that after Ganondorf was defeated they would most likely never see each other again, but they could not keep themselves from caring about each other.

*****************************************************

Wind gusted along the barren expanse of desert, teasing the sun-blond hair of the man and woman who stood watching the sun set. The young woman looked up at her companion and sighed sadly, focusing her attention on the disappearing sun. The young warrior looked down at the smaller woman in surprise. "Is something wrong, Zel?"

She looked up at him, her fear evident in her blue eyes. "It's just...I'm worried about what's going to happen, Sheik. Can we really win? Can the Hero of Time really beat Ganondorf? ....Will we all survive the attempt?" *...will /you/ survive?*

Sheik looked at the woman next to him and hid a sigh. He wished he didn't have to do this to her...the last thing he wanted to do was hurt her, he cared about her too much. "Of course we will, Zel. Everything is going to be fine."

She looked away, her eyes filling with tears. "But how can you be sure? What if you get caught? What if you don't come back?"

He looked levelly into her teary blue eyes. "I promise you, I will always come back."

She looked at him, her lower lip trembling. "Promise?"

"Promise." He picked up her right hand, gently tracing the small gold triangle that appeared on it. "See this? This is the Triforce of Wisdom, remember? Now use that wisdom of yours and tell me that we don't have a chance."

She smiled up at him and his heart skipped a beat. "You're right, Sheik. Thank you, you always make me feel better. I wish you didn't have to go..."

Sheik couldn't take it anymore. He turned her to face him, and before she had time to react he pulled her into his arms and pressed his mouth to hers. Zelda's eyes popped open, practically bulging out of her head. Her entire world narrowed to the feel of his mouth on hers and the sound of her heart pounding in her ears. Just as suddenly he released her and she stumbled back, barely able to stand, her hand flying to her mouth. He took a few steps back from her and looked at her through his one visible red eye. He whispered, "I'm sorry," and threw a Deku nut at his feet, making a bright flash. When her eyes cleared he was gone.

Zelda fell to her knees on the sandy ground and buried her head in her hands. Her best friend, the man she had secretly loved for so long, was gone. She had never gotten up the courage to tell him how he felt, and now he was gone. He had kissed her...she raised one trembling hand to her lips and broke into sobs. He felt the same why and she had never known. What if something went wrong? What if he was killed by Ganondorf? What if she never saw him again? The tears came faster and her shoulders shook. *He'll come back Zel, he promised you that he would come back,* she thought, calling herself by Sheik's pet name for her.

"You just have to hang on," she whispered to herself. "You're stronger than this. You are the Princess of Hyrule. You can get through this, just hang on. He will come back."

She looked toward the horizon, where the sun had completely disappeared behind the hills. She swallowed the lump in her throat and spoke again, her voice barely audible. "He will come back..."

************************************************

Sheik reappeared on the edge of Hyrule field and sunk to the ground at the foot of a tree. "You are so stupid," he muttered to himself. "She probably hates you now. Why did you have to mess up a perfectly good friendship?" He knew why. He had liked her from the moment they met when they were ten years old, and had realized he loved her when they were both fifteen. That feeling had only grown stronger over the last two years, and now he had quite possibly blown it. *Still,* he thought, *that might not be an issue for much longer....No. Don't think like that, you promised her that you would come back.*

He pushed himself off the ground and scanned the horizon, senses alert for any sign of danger. In the darkness that was Hyrule danger could come at any moment and in any guise. Thoughts of Zelda were pushed to the back of his mind as he refocused on the mission at hand. He turned to the North and started walking. By dawn he should reach what was once Hyrule Castle Town, and the Temple of Time. He had to perform his duty to inform and guard the Hero...as much as he wanted to turn around and return to a pair of clear blue eyes and a fall of soft gold hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sheik looked up at the imposing edifice of the Temple of Time and took a deep breath, closing his eyes. This is what he had trained for over the long seven years since Ganondorf's rise to power. The seven years with Zelda...no. He could not think of her now, he had to focus on his duty. This close to Ganondorf anything could happen, and he had to be prepared. He took another breath, then pushed open the large doors, entering the Temple. His sharp eyes took in everything, noting the jewels still shining in their sockets, holding open the Door of Time. There did not seem to be any traps, and he moved silently as a shadow into the room behind the Door. Looking around he noted an overhang over the door and he jumped up to it. Crouched on the ledge he looked for all the world like a gargoyle, no one in the chamber would look twice at him, if they even noticed he was there. He only knew that the Hero of Time, Link he thought his name was, was awakening today, he had no clue when.....

~Sheik.~

Sheik sat bolt upright on the ledge, nearly losing his balance in surprise. He quickly pressed his back against the wall to steady himself. He /hated/ when Rauru did that! He could at least give some warning! He composed himself and responded to the telepathic summons, picturing the words clearly in his mind. ~<<<I'm here, Rauru.>>>~

~Good. The Hero of Time has awakened, and I have explained the situation as best I can. You must guide him from here.~

~And tell him the things you left out. I got it.~

~Hmph. Youngsters these days have no respect. You just remember what you are supposed to tell him!~

~I will.~

~Good. I am returning him.../now./~

When Rauru said "now" a blue glow lit the dim room, casting Sheik's shadow sharply against the wall behind him. He blinked rapidly, trying to clear the spots from his eyes, and when he could see clearly again he could make out the figure of a man about his own age floating in a column of light, dressed in a green tunic and hat. A small, winged, ball of light hovered by his shoulder. As Sheik watched the other man's feet touched the ground and the light faded. The boy looked around with a rather shocked and confused expression. He turned haltingly and wandered toward the door. Sheik waited until the Hero was at the door before jumping from his perch and flipping through the air, landing silently in the same spot where the Hero has arrived. Sheik watched silently as the Hero stiffened, sensing someone behind him. The young man whirled, drawing his sword, and stopped short when he saw Sheik. He relaxed slightly and sheathed his sword, never taking his eyes off Sheik. Sheik merely returned the measuring gaze.

*Well, I guess he decided that I'm not a threat.* Sheik sighed softly. *He may look like an adult but his eyes betray that he is still a child. I /told/ Rauru that he should allow him to grow up normally! He is a young, frightened child trapped in a man's body, and it will only go downhill once he sees the state Hyrule is in. I don't know if he can do this....* Sheik pulled himself out of his thoughts. All he could do was give Link the information he had been told to convey.

"I've been waiting for you Hero of Time."

Link drew back slightly in surprise. Sheik's lips twitched under his mask. *Don't understand how I know you, do you? Well, everyone will know you after this is over.*

"I am Sheik, survivor of the Sheikah." *Don't ask about the name, don't ask about the name...."

"Sheikah..." The Hero's voice sounded slightly rusty from disuse. "Like Impa?" Sheik nodded.

*Yeah, like my annoying Aunt Impa. Whatever. Anyway...*

"When the evil rules all, an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages who dwell in the five temples." *Yeah, because anyone bothered to tell you what Sages are...*

"One in a deep forest, one in a high mountain, one under a vast lake, one within the house of the dead, one inside a goddess of the sand. Together, with the Hero of Time the awakened ones will bind the evil and return the light of peace to the world. This is the legend of the temples passed down by my people, the Sheikah." *Well, Rauru /said/ to make it cryptic.* Sheik paused for a moment and looked the Hero up and down. He really did look like the Hero in the tales was supposed to look. "As I see you standing there you really do look like the legendary Hero of Time... If you believe the legend, you have no choice. You must look for the five temples and awaken the five Sages.

Sheik paused again as he remembered something about the first Sage. Link was not going to take this well when he found out. "One Sage is waiting for the time of awakening in the Forest Temple. The Sage is a girl I am sure you know...."

Link visibly paled and his lips moved. Although no sound came out Sheik could tell he was saying a name. /Saria.../

*I'm sorry Hero...* "Because of the evil power in the temple, she cannot hear the awakening call from the Sacred Realm." He suddenly remembered something Rauru had told him to pass on. There was a tool he needed to get before he could begin. "Unfortunately, equipped as you are, you cannot even enter the temple. But, if you believe what I'm saying, you should head to Kakariko Village." Sheik paused to allow the Hero to digest this information. "Do you understand?"

Link nodded weakly. He looked like he was going to be sick. *Well how would you feel if all this was thrown at you suddenly? Just wait until he sees the condition of Hyrule.* Sheik stepped back, away from the Hero and covertly slipped a nut from his pouch. He quickly threw the nut to the floor in front of him, causing a bright flash. He materialized on the roof of the Temple, knowing that when the Hero could see clearly again, he would be gone.

After several long moments the Hero slowly walked out of the Temple. Sheik watched sadly as the Hero stopped, struck with horror at the Hell the once beautiful Hyrule had become. *No one prepared you for this, did they? I should have told Rauru to explain the state of Hyrule, but its too late now.* He watched as the Hero took in the horribly mauled horizon, flinching in horror from the sight of Death Mountain burning. He said something to the Fairy, but Sheik couldn't make out what he said. Then the Hero started forward again, looking determined. As he left the immediate area of the Temple of Time Sheik dropped to the ground behind him, in front of the Temple doors.

*Good luck, Hero. You're going to...* His thought was interrupted by the sound of sinister laughter behind him. He started to turn to confront the threat, but before he could something hard hit him in the back of the head. The last thing he saw was a pair of studded black boots before the darkness of oblivion took him.

*************************************************

Far off, in the Sheikah encampment, the Princess Zelda felt as if an ice cold stake had been plunged into her heart. She looked up fearfully and gazed out toward the blasted land that had once been Hyrule. "Sheik..." she whispered. "No...." And Princess Zelda collapsed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda slowly opened her eyes, head pounding in time to her racing heart. She looked up to see Impa, her guardian and surrogate mother hovering over her. She moistened her lips and tried to speak. "Sheik....where's Sheik....what's happened to him?

Impa forced a weak smile gently stroking her young charge's hair. "We...we don't know what's happened to Sheik. He met the Hero when Link was returned to the Temple of Time, and then he just disappeared. Rauru was keeping track of him and he suddenly vanished, like he fell off the face of the Earth. No one has seen hide nor hair of him since."

Zelda's eyes filled with tears and she looked at Impa, shaking her head and begging her silently to tell her that Sheik was fine, he was helping Link with his quest, that it was all a bad dream...but Impa just looked at her sadly. Zelda started whispering, shaking her head as if trying to wish it all away. "no...No...NO! Sheik!! SHEIK!!! Zelda wailed like a lost soul.

***********************************************

Far away in a distant dungeon, a blond haired man stirred. He moaned softly in pain from his wounds, but did not fully wake. In his nightmarish dreams he heard someone call his name as if from a great distance. He moaned again and muttered in his sleep, saying a name. "Zelda...Zelda...."

***********************************************

Zelda looked out at the sunset from the very place she had stood with Sheik before he left, and sighed. The ache was still present, but duller. More manageable. She knew it would never go away completely, she was too deeply hurt for that. It would be easier if she knew what had happened to Sheik, knew where he was...if he was alive.... Tears sprung to her eyes and she blinked them back, determined not to cry. Sheik wouldn't have wanted her to cry for him. Now she had to continue his work, guiding the Hero of Time in his quest. She couldn't go as herself, that was the worst part. The Princess of Hyrule could not be caught by Ganondorf. No, she would cast a glamour over herself and wear the image of Sheik. She may be slightly shorter than the Sheikah, but Link had only seen Sheik once at the Temple of Time, he would suspect nothing. No one would know that everything had nearly fallen apart...except for one girl who would have to see the face of the man she loved every time she saw her own reflection. She resolutely turned from the disappearing sun and pulled out a Deku Nut. She had to beat the Hero to the Lost Woods, and that was the fastest way to travel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda, in her guise as Sheik, lay on top of one of the impossibly broad branches of the enormous trees of the lost wood. The dappled sunlight played across her face and she closed her eyes, for once almost at peace. She could do this. She just had to wait for Link to show up....the sound of a twig snapping brought her back to full attention and her muscles tensed. She slowly rolled over on the branch and scanned the forest floor for movement. There! A young man her age, accompanied by a small floating ball of light. It was Link! She pulled herself up into a crouch and followed him through the treetops. Link never suspected he was being tracked and wandered into the Sacred Forest Meadow, looking around with a rather wistful expression. Zelda studied him as he regarded the forest, noting several minor wounds and bruises. The Moblins had taken their toll on the young Hero. She waited until he was studying a stump with a rather forlorn expression before dropping silently to the ground behind him. To his credit he instantly sensed her presence behind him and spun, drawing his sword as he moved. He stopped when he saw her and smiled, returning the Master Sword to its sheath on his back. Her heart twisted as she realized that he recognized her as Sheik, not as herself. She was still Zelda, but everyone saw a man that would not be coming back. Her heart broke inside her, but no sign of her thoughts showed on her face. She simply nodded solemnly. She noticed him glancing at the stump again, and realized that he had expected to find his friend there. The fact that seven years had passed since he had been there was only just starting to sink in. Zelda fixed the words of her message in her mind, the cryptic phrases were rather hard to remember.

"The flow of time is always cruel..."

Link looked up sharply at the word time. "Seven years..." he whispered softly. "But for me it's been no time at all..."

Zelda nodded. "Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it. A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days. *Younger days...when I was with Sheik...* She pulled out a golden harp, seemingly from nowhere. *Sheik always loved his harp, he seemed so happy while he was playing it...* She forced down memories of long nights spent with Sheik as he taught her the complicated instrument and continues. "In order to come back here again, play the Minuet of Forest."

The notes came to her fingers with the ease of long practice, and out of the corner of her eye she saw Link pull out an ocarina, /the/ ocarina she realized, the Ocarina of Time, and haltingly play along. He caught the melody much more quickly than she expected, the last few measures melding into a smooth duet. She brought the song to a close, and looked at him levelly.

"Link, we will meet again." He looked down at his instrument lost in some thought and she quietly stepped away, jumping up into a tree once she was out of his range of vision. He looked up and seemed about to speak, but stopped suddenly when he saw that she was gone. He looked around the meadow trying to find her, but she had hidden herself too well. She watched him as he entered the temple, bitting her lower lip. She couldn't help him in there, he was on his own. "Good luck, Link. We're all counting on you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda refused to leave the forest while the Hero of Time was in the temple. Finally, two days after he had disappeared into the darkness of the temple he stumbled out, flushed with success and holding the forest medallion, yet with a look of sadness in his eyes. *From losing his friend....she has to stay in the Sacred Realm now.* He wobbled over to the stump and collapsed onto it. He reached into a pocked and pulled something out; a brown, child-sized ocarina. "Saria..." he murmured, before burying his head in his hands and crying like the child he still was, trapped in this larger body in a strange world. Zelda closed her eyes in pain and withdrew, wondering what they had done to the sweet, innocent boy who had wandered into her garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After staying away for about an hour to give link time to recover, Zelda made her way back to the Sacred Forest Meadow to see if she could discover where Link was headed next. When she arrived she heard him conferring with his Fairy on that very topic.

"He said `one in a High Mountain'!" Navi the Fairy was pointing out. "That must mean Death Mountain!"

"Yeah, probably Darunia." Link leaned back against a tree trunk and sighed, closing his eyes. "But that means /he'll/ be stuck in the Sacred Realm too, like Saria."

"Well, yeah, but it's to save Hyrule, right?"

"Navi, they didn't even recognize me. Not one of the Kokiri knew who I was! And Saria is gone forever. I don't know if I can stand to loose more friends, I don't have that many left."

Zelda's heart was in her throat, and she swallowed painfully. Oh, what had they done? They were saving Hyrule, but at what cost?

"But, Link! We have to save Hyrule! C'mon, you or Hyrule? You /have/ to do it!"

"I know, Navi." Link opened his eyes and stared up at the patch of sky visible through the treetops, new tears tracing paths down his cheeks. "I know."

Zelda watched him push himself to his feet and walk back toward the entrance to the woods, his calm, steady stride belying the conflict shown in his blue eyes. Her eyes never left him until he was out of sight among the trees, and then she curled into a ball on the branch, pressing her face against her knees as she cried for the broken child who was forced to bear such a burden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda followed Link as he crossed the wide expanse of Hyrule Field, and waited impatiently as he tried to help the girl at the ranch...Malon, she thought her name was. *He's wasting time, we could be at death mountain by now!* she thought to herself, watching Link messing around with the horses. *Yes,* a traitorous little voice replied, *but isn't this why he is the Hero of Time? He's helping people, that's what a Hero does.* *Yes, but...* Her internal argument was halted by Link challenging the proprietor of the ranch to a race. If he won he got the horse, if he lost he lost...his freedom!? *What are you thinking!? You couldn't have ridden a horse before today, you'll lose for sure!* Her mental pleas did not reach him, and he calmly pulled out the same ocarina he had used in the forest and played a simple melody. One of the horses, a beautiful reddish bay, wheeled at the sound and galloped over to him. Zelda watched astonished as Link patted the animal's nose and mounted, guiding the horse to the starting line. He looked at Inigo with a cocky grin.

"Ready when you are!"

Inigo sputtered for a moment before mounting his own horse, a great, black beast and coming up beside the bay. He pulled out a small pistol and pointed it into the air for the starting signal. Without warning he pulled the trigger and kicked his horse into a gallop. "Go!"

Link was startled, and slightly slower off the mark but quickly caught up, keeping close behind Inigo. When they came to the first turn Link took it wide, kicking his mount to increase their speed. Slowly he began to pass Inigo, and he only pulled farther away when they hit the next straightaway. Inigo yelled as the black was passed and snapped his whip against his horse's rump, inspiring a burst of speed and pulling up next to Link's horse. They rode side by side for a lap, neither able to completely pass the other. They were practically flying when they passed the starting line for the second time, beginning the last lap. Still neither could get the advantage. When they came toward the final curve, Inigo began to reign in his horse so he could take the turn without falling, but Link only urged his mount faster. Zelda held her breath as Link took the final turn at an insanely high speed, somehow staying mounted and keeping his horse on her feet as they came into the final strides of the race. She let out a relived breath as Link crossed the finish line almost a full length ahead of Inigo and finally slowed to a stop. Inigo sputtered indignantly for several moments before grudgingly admitting defeat.

"Well, fine. You win. Now get out of here, kid."

"And I get the horse," Link reminded him cheerfully.

Inigo practically growled. "And...you...get...the...wait! EPONA!? HOW DID YOU TAME THAT WILD HORSE!?" Link just gave him another cocky grin.

Zelda's eyes narrowed. He had risked his life on a wild horse? Oh, if only she could go down there and knock some sense into him...

"Well, fine like we agreed you get the horse. BUT YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE THIS RANCH!" Inigo laughed maniacally as he slammed the gates closed, trapping Link in the ranch.

*Oh that's just great. Now he's trapped. I'm gonna...*

Link, however, didn't seem fazed. He simply turned the horse, Epona, toward the outer wall of the ranch and started galloping towards it. Zelda watched incredulously. *He's gonna crash, he's gonna crash, he's gonna crash...*

To her great surprise the horse gathered herself and jumped, neatly clearing the wall. She let out a sigh of relief. *Oh, he is definitely gonna get it when this is over.*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda looked up at the Temple of Time and sighed. She had never expected to come here, but instead of entering Kakariko Village and heading straight to Death Mountain he had gone into the remains of Castle Town, most likely to go to the Temple. *I hadn't wanted to come here, this is where Sheik was last heard from...* She looked down and noticed a trace of coppery brown on the stone step. Dried blood. Her heart jumped to her throat. *Sheik...* Approaching footsteps drew her attention and she quickly entered the Temple before Link could see her. When he opened the door the first thing he saw was her, waiting for him. Rauru had given her...well, Sheik but she had learned it, a song to warp him to the Temple and she was to teach it to him the next time he went there. Well, that time was now.

Link smiled at her, this time not even reaching for the Master Sword. "Hi."

She nodded to him. You destroyed the wicked creatures that haunted the temple and awakened the Sage, but there are still other Sages who need your help. In order to awaken all the other Sages, you must become more powerful.

Link looked at her in surprise, but didn't speak. He just looked at her like he was waiting for her to explain.

"You must travel over mountains, under water, and even through time." *She watched him for a reaction and saw his surprise.

He looked shocked. "Through time?"

Zelda nodded. "If you want to turn to your original time, return the Master Sword to the Pedestal of Time," she gestured behind her to the stone from which he had originally pulled the Sword. "By doing this, you will travel back in time seven years." She watched his eyes light up and her heart twisted. If only...no. What was done was done. "The time will come when you will have to return here quickly, I will teach this too you for when that time comes. The song to return you to the Temple of Time, the Prelude of Light.

She smiled as she played the notes, this was always one of her favorites. She heard Link jump in, grasping the tune amazingly quickly, and it melded into a duet, like she used to play with Sheik when...she quickly squashed that thought. She had to stay focused. She wound the song to a close and looked up at Link.

"As long as you hold the Ocarina of Time and the Master Sword, you hold time itself in your hands. Link we shall meet again." She stepped back, throwing a Deku nut. The flash blinded Link, and she watched from a windowsill as he looked around for her. He glanced at Navi and shrugged, then walked out of the Temple without a second glance.

Zelda watched him go, then teleported to Kakariko. She didn't want to spend any more time in the Temple than she had too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda landed lightly on the thatched roof of Impa's own house, and dropped down to ground level. It was late and few people were out, so no one noticed her sudden arrival. She curled up in a deep shadow, and closed her eyes, hoping to get some sleep before the Hero decided to tackle the fire temple. However, she didn't get much of a chance. She had barely dozed off when she heard the sound of a horse approaching, and squinted one eye open to confirm that it was in fact Link. He must have come directly from the Temple to get there so quickly. She muttered under her breath and teleported up Death Mountain to the Goron City, reasoning he would go there first in search of news of his friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She watched Link enter the city and look around him in horror. There was not a soul to be seen. Before, the city had been a bustling place, full of Gorons who had become his friends. Now his footsteps echoed off the empty walls, only adding to the desolate feel of the place. Suddenly he stopped, listening to something the Fairy was saying. She watched curiously as he turned and headed toward a tunnel, stopping at the entrance. Suddenly there was a rumbling sound, and a Goron rolled out of the tunnel directly at Link. She blinked in surprise when she saw that it was only a child, and a young one at that. He must have been born after Ganondorf's coup. Link calmly grabbed a bomb flower off of the wall and tossed it at the child. The flower exploded on impact and the child stopped, dazed but not hurt.

Link went and knelt by the child, but the young Goron tried to pull away from him, screaming. "How could you do this to me!? You, you're Ganondorf's servant! Hear my name and tremble! I am Link! Hero of the Gorons! Zelda stared. So the kid had delusions of grandeur. She heard Link laugh softly.

"But, my name is Link."

The Goron child's eyes widened. "What? Your name is Link?"

Link smiled and nodded.

"Then you must be the legendary Dodongo Buster and Hero, Link! My dad is Darunia...do you remember him?"

Link nodded again. "Of course."

The child was exited now. "Dad named me Link after you, because you're so brave!" Zelda watched with amusement as Link's cheeks colored. The child wasn't finished yet. "It's a cool name! I really like it! Link, you're a hero to us Gorons! I'm so glad to meet you! Please give me your autograph!"

By this point Link was as red as a tomato. Zelda had to smother a laugh at his discomfort. He did manage to pull out a piece of paper for the excited youngster.

"Sign it: `To my friend, Link of the Gorons." Link obediently scribbled on the paper and handed it to the now almost hyperactive boy. Zelda watched in wonder as he turned even redder. *I wonder if his ears will catch fire...*

Link cleared his throat. "Where is your father?"

The young Goron froze and looked up at Link sheepishly. "Oh...I guess it's not a good time ask you for this..." His eyes suddenly widened and he looked at Link anxiously.

"Please help everyone! My dad, Darunia, went to the Fire Temple! A dragon is inside! If we don't hurry up, even my dad will be eaten by the dragon!" He burst into tears. Zelda shook her head. *Kids...why didn't he just say that in the first place?*

Link awkwardly patted the child on the back to calm him. "Its ok...tell me about the dragon."

The Goron looked up at him with teary eyes. "A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons..." He smashed his fist into the palm of his other hand. "BOOOM!! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero! My...dad..." He burst into tears again. Link nervously rubbed his back.

"C'mon kid, what happened to the Gorons? Where are they?"

"Everyone was taken to the Fire Temple...while my dad was out...Ganondorf's followers came and took them all away! All of them will be eaten by Volvagia! Dad said that Ganondorf revived Volvagia...as a warning to those who might oppose him, Ganondorf is going to feed them all to Volvagia! Dad went to the Fire Temple all by himself to try to save everyone..." He sniffed and looked up at the Hero of Time. Please help, Link!"

"Of course I'll help. Don't worry."

The little Goron jumped up and scampered to the wall and opened a small panel. He pulled out something red and handed it to Link. "I'll give you this heat resistant tunic! It'll protect you from the heat!"

Link smiled at him and took the tunic. "Thanks."

The little Goron looked up at him, eyes shining. "Dad told me not to let anyone follow him to the temple, but...only you Link, can save everyone! Now, I'll tell you about the secret passage to the Fire Temple! Try to move the Statue inside Dad's room! The passage is behind it!"

Link smiled and patted the boy's head. "Thanks. Don't worry, I'll make sure they all get back safe. You stay right here, okay?"

The Goron nodded. "Thank you Link!!"

Link turned and headed toward Darunia's room. Zelda watched him for a moment before she quickly teleported into the crater, ready to guide the Hero in the next part of his quest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she materialized in the crater a blast of scorching air hit her, making her stumble back. Everything was hazy from the heat, and dust and ash got in her eyes, making even more difficult to see. The ash clung to her hair and skin, making her itch abominably, but she promised her self a good swim in the Zora Domain to wash it off once she had delivered her message. The heat in the desert was nothing compared to this! To bad the kid couldn't give /her/ a fire tunic too! She watched from the shadows as Link entered through the door from Darunia's room and walked toward a broken bridge. He pulled out his hookshot and swung across the gap, landing safely on the other side. Once he was across she jumped from her perch on a ledge and landed behind him on the other portion of the bridge as quietly as a cat. He once again sensed her presence, but this time he didn't draw his sword. Instead he turned calmly and grinned. "`ello, Sheik."

Zelda nodded, suppressing the jolt of pain that shot through her at the name. She took a deep breath, and began her speech. "It is something that grows over time...a true friendship. A feeling in the heart that becomes even stronger over time... *Like what I felt for Sheik...*

"The passion of friendship will soon blossom into a righteous power and through it, you will know which way to go. *Gah, that's cheesy. I should never have let Rauru tell me what to say.*

"This song is dedicated tot he power of heart, Listen to the Bolero of Fire..." Zelda pulled out the harp again and smiled as she plucked the first notes. The Bolero was always a fun one to play. Once again Link caught on quickly, but she didn't have time to enjoy the brief musical respite. She wanted /out/ of there /now/! She quickly wound the song to a close and stepped back, sensing a flare of heat beneath them.

"Link, I'll see you again..." At that moment the heat she had sensed revealed itself to be a spurt of fire, forming a wall between them for a few moments. While she was hidden by the fire she teleported, anxious to get to Zora's Domain and rinse the ash out of her hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zelda materialized in Zora's Domain and promptly fell on her behind. She sat there stunned for a moment, wondering why her feet had flown out from under her. Then...she saw the ice. The great hallways, the deep pools, all frozen solid. She carefully got to her feet and slid to the Great Pool, at the base of the water fall. It was solid enough to walk on. Zelda looked around concernedly, wondering why she had not seen anyone yet. It was far too much like the situation at Goron City. She glanced down as she walked across the ice and stopped short. Looking up at her, frozen under the ice...was a Zora. She gasped and almost lost her footing again. Closer inspection revealed many Zora, all frozen solid as they had tried to escape whatever calamity had befallen their Domain.

Zelda skidded to the side of the pool and went up the hallways as quickly as she could on the slick surface, hoping against hope to find the King safe. She entered the Kings chamber and skidded to a stop, looking up in horror. He was frozen, just like all the other Zoras. Only the ice was...red? She went over and laid her hand against the block of ice encasing the King. It felt...odd. Like it wasn't really ice. She thought hard and suddenly remembered a lesson from her youth, hearing about magical ice that could not be melted by fire. She had scoffed at the time, not believing the story and saying that she would never need to know it anyway. *Well, looks like I was wrong about that...* She looked around again and shivered, but not from the cold.

*There is something sinister about this ice,* Zelda thought. *Something just doesn't feel right...* She closed her eyes and concentrated on reaching Rauru.

~Rauru...Rauru can you hear me?~

~I hear you child. What is the matter?~

~Zora's Domain. Everything is under a thick layer of ice, including the Zoras themselves! What could have done this?~

There was a long pause before Rauru responded. ~I feel an evil energy flowing from the Water Temple to Zora's Domain. The creature in the Water Temple is most likely what is causing this.~

~Thank you Rauru. I will make sure the Hero of Time knows about this.~

~Good luck, child.~ Then he was gone. Zelda opened her eyes and sighed. She should have known it was the evil in the temple.

The doorway to Zora's Fountain was open, so she cautiously went through to see if any part of Zora's Domain was unharmed. No luck. While not frozen solid, the Fountain was covered with snow and a thin film of ice coated the surface of the water. She walked toward the lake, wondering what could have happened here, when her foot hit something soft. She looked down and gasped in surprise. *A Zora!?* She quickly knelt and pushed the snow off of the prone form. Not just a Zora, but Princess Ruto herself! She picked up the unconscious girl and teleported to Lake Hylia. The scientist there should know what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she arrived at Lake Hylia she was horrified at the sight of the lake. The water level was far below what it should be. A quick glance around the lake showed the cause: the river from Zora's Domain had slowed to a trickle, probably because of the ice stopping up its source. She pushed these concerns aside and rushed to the laboratory on the edge of the lake. Hopefully the scientist would be able to help the unconscious Zoran woman. She couldn't open the door holding Ruto, so she knocked with her foot, hoping to draw the scientist's attention. Her efforts succeeded and soon the door was open and Ruto was laid on a cot inside. The old scientist looked her over for a moment muttering to himself, before pulling out a jar of some sort of medicine.

"Now then, lad, hold her up so she can drink this."

Zelda was a bit taken aback at being called `lad,' but then she remembered that she still wore Sheik's image. She nodded silently and supported Ruto, pulling her up into a sitting position. She watched as the scientist poured the medicine into Ruto's mouth, coaxing her to drink. When he was satisfied that she had taken enough of the medicine he stepped back and motioned for Zelda to lower her to the bed. She did so and after a few moments Ruto's eyes fluttered open. She groaned.

"Uhh...ah...where..."

Zelda lay a hand on her shoulder and explained. "You are in the laboratory of the scientist at Lake Hylia. I found you in the snow of Zora's Domain."

"Who..."

"I am Sheik, survivor of the Sheikah." She winced inside as she said it, but let no sign of it show in her face.

Ruto nodded slightly. "My father...where..."

Zelda closed her eyes. "I'm sorry, he is frozen in the ice."

Ruto paled and closed her eyes in pain, turning away from Zelda. Zelda could only squeeze her shoulder. She knew that nothing could comfort Ruto, she too knew that pain of losing a father. But...if the Hero of Time could force the evil from the water temple, then maybe...

"There could still be a way to save your father and your people...."

Ruto looked up eagerly. "How?"

"If the evil in the Water Temple is beaten, then Zora's Domain may be restored."

"I'll do it! I'll go right now!" Ruto tried to sit up, but Zelda gently pushed her back against the bed.

"No. You are too weak from the cold. The only person who can free the Zora is the Hero of Time."

"Well, I can still help him." Ruto looked determined, and pushed herself up into a sitting position. "I can go to the temple and at least try. And don't try to stop me!"

Zelda sighed. She was so stubborn! *Reminds you of someone you know, doesn't it?* She pushed the little voice away and looked Ruto in the eye. "You cannot do this alone. You need the Hero."

"Fine then, we will both go to the temple." She looked up at Zelda hopefully. "Will you tell him?"

"Of course."

"Then there is a cave, in it are a pair of iron soled boots. I don't know how they got there, but he will need them if he is going to go into Lake Hylia. They will help him go deeper than he could by diving. The cave is in the Zora's Fountain. Thank you, thank you so much, Sheik. But don't think I am going to wait for him."

Zelda knew when she had lost and left the building, teleporting back to Death Mountain to see if the Hero of Time had rescued the Gorons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she arrived in Goron City she was surprised to see a party going in full swing. Apparently all of the Gorons had been freed from imprisonment in Death Mountain and they were celebrating. She looked around, concerned that Link had left already, but her sharp eyes spotted a flash of green near the entrance to Darunia's chamber. Closer inspection showed that it really was the Hero of Time, attempting to escape bone-crushing hugs from the thankful Gorons. Zelda grinned beneath her mask as he failed and suffered through a rib cracking hug.

He quickly extricated himself and slid through the crowd toward the exit. He finally made it and practically ran down the side of the mountain. She teleported to the end of the path to wait for him, and he soon arrived, out of breath but laughing as he slowed to a stop at the gate. She took the chance to look him over, and winced at the sight of the burns he had acquired in the Mountain. Every time he fought he received more wounds, and there was no time to let him heal properly between battles. She watched as he wandered through Kakariko toward the field and followed him from the shadows.

He exited the village, and wandered into the field, sinking to the ground and leaning against a tree. He sighed and looked at the ever present ball of light hovering over his shoulder. He grinned slightly and looked up at the sky. Zelda was startled when he spoke.

"What now, Navi?"

"Vast lake. Sheik said the Sage was under a vast lake."

"Probably Lake Hylia. And the Sage...either Ruto or her father."

The Fairy bobbed up and down. "You're probably right."

Link pushed himself to his feet. "Well, Zora's Domain isn't far, lets go there first to see if we can figure out who the sage is. Hopefully this one won't be trapped or captured."

Navi made a sound of agreement, and followed him as he walked along the riverbank that would lead to Zora's Domain. Zelda sighed as she teleported ahead of him. He was not going to like what he saw. She teleported to cave that Ruto had told her of. The least she could do was see that he got those boots.

**********************************************

(A/N): I originally had this all in one big chapter, but the file was too large for Mediaminer, so I had to split it in the middle. Please continue to the Second Half.