Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Eyes of Sapphire ❯ Aoi's Breaking Point and the Mysterious Warp ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

No time to talk! Here we go! …
 
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*>&l t;*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
 
Chapter 2
 
Aoi woke up to her alarm clock. The weekend was over and it was time for school. Oh, how she hated Mondays. Who doesn't? She pulled herself out of bed and onto the wooden floor. She had on cute pajama pants and a t-shirt. Her ears hung loosely down to the small of her back. Her eyes were only half open as she scooted across the floor and looked around at her blurry room. She picked up her glasses from her desk and slid them onto her face. (Without them she was blind!) She took a shower and put on her school uniform, packed her lunch and was ready to head out the door. She slung her backpack onto her bike. When she did, the purple stone fell out of one of the pockets.
 
“Hm,” she thought, “that's strange. I don't remember putting that in there.”
 
She picked it up off the ground. She was already late, so she stuck it back into her bag and headed off to school.
 
As Aoi made her way to the next intersection, she spotted someone standing at the corner, which was no big deal, but on closer inspection…it was Midori.
 
She thought about stopping her bike and waiting for him to leave before she continued, but she knew that her fear was what he thrived on. She continued riding. He heard the bike coming and turned around. He smirked when he saw who it was riding. He turned and stood facing her, directly in her path.
 
“Well, if he's going to be an idiot and stand there like that, I'll just run him over.”
 
She stared him down; he stared back. When she was only a yard away, he realized that maybe she wouldn't stop. He leaped out of the way, but her front tire ran over his foot. He yelped in pain. She chuckled to herself and kept going, not looking back.
 
“You idiot! Get back here! You're gonna pay for that! Jajauma! GET BACK HERE!!!!!” he yelled, but his yelling was in vain. She didn't even slow down. Filled with rage at her, he picked up a stick off the ground and threw it at her. It hit her in the back.
 
“Ow! That jerk.”
 
When she proceeded to ignore him, he picked up more stones and sticks. Just when she was nearly too far away for him to hit her, a stick got caught in her wheel and jerked the bike to a stop, sending her flying off of it, skidding across the ground.
 
“Ow!” she yelped.
 
Midori doubled over laughing. She quietly looked down at her spoiled uniform, covered in dirt and grass stains. She closed her eyes a minute to gather her composure. She stood up and swallowed her anger, picked up her bike and her backpack off the ground, and began to walk in the direction of the school with a slight limp from her scraped knee.
 
“You're not going to school lookin' like that, are you Mouse? You already looks stupid enough, those grass stains make you look even more like a…”
 
“Yes. I am going to school. I have an extra one in my gym locker. Now, if you'll excuse me,” she said in monotone, not even turning to look at him. She started walking again.
 
Midori fumed with rage. Oh how much he would love to just run up behind her and…and…BAKA! He didn't even know, hit her or something, kick her until she knew how stupid and worthless she was. Whatever, but he couldn't stand seeing her get the best of him. He wanted to yell at her until she cried, cried her stupid little eyes out.
 
“Jajauma! Get back here! Get your ass back here!” he yelled, walking up from behind her. She picked up her pace to try and beat him back to school. Once they were there, he wouldn't do anything too harmful in fear of getting suspended again.
 
Aoi heard him approaching faster, and started to jog. He started to jog. She begin to run. He ran. She knew she couldn't out run him!
 
Kami-sama! Please! Make him go away! Do something! GOD! PLEASE!”
 
He finally got close enough and reached out and grabbed the back tire of her bike. It lifted off the ground. She kept trying to run, while still holding the front end of the bike. He reached out to grab her arm, but she released the bicycle and started running as fast as she could. She could see the school. The chain-link fence that ran around it was on her right and the street was on the left. There was nowhere to run but straight. He threw the bike down and caught her, slamming her into the fence.
 
She closed her eyes and tightened her fist.
 
“Bh! What do you think you're doing?!”
 
Her eyes remained closed.
 
“Look at me!”
 
She opened her eyes, full of tears. Midori was taken aback for a split second, he, in all the years he's been bullying her, had never seen her give in a cry! On the inside he smiled, then laughed in satisfaction.
 
“Aw, what's wrong with the baby?”
 
Aoi tightened her fist harder.
 
“You wanna pacifier??” he laughed.
 
She gripped so tight, her claws cut into her flesh.
 
He knew the best way to get to her…
 
Midori closed in on her face and whispered, “You could be my little wench…”
 
He chuckled and tightened his grip on her arm. She could feel the blood being cut off. The tears ran down her face, angered by his harsh words.
 
“How can he be so perverted and cruel!?!” Never in her life had she wanted to, but she wound up and socked him in the face, sending him flying to the ground. She didn't know she could hit so hard!
 
She dropped her face into her hands for a second. Midori groaned as he lay in the dirt.
 
“YOU JERK! I HATE YOU! I HOPE YOU DIE AND ROT IN THE PITS OF HELL!” she screamed. Then she turned and started running. The school entrance was only a little further. She could see it. Great! Now she was late, her uniform was ruined, she was crying, and she had just said the worst thing she had ever said in her life.
 
I can't believe I said that. Even to him. He did deserve it, but still.” She covered her mouth and prayed for forgiveness.
 
As she neared the school, she heard sirens off in the distance. She slowed down and looked down the street as a black car flew over the hill, going at least 80 in a school zone. The man on the passenger's side leaned out and started firing at the police car following him. Midori stopped a second too and watched.
 
“Awesome!” he exclaimed, “Too bad the guys aim sucks. I'd hit that police car a long time ago. Oh well. Some people just have not talent I tell ya.”
 
Suddenly, one of the bullets flew from the man's gun and hit Aoi. She screamed and fell to the ground. Midori ran over to her. She was grabbing her arm, where the blood was running from.
 
Okay, it's just her arm,” he thought.
 
She held on for a second before she passed out.
 
“Aw great!” Midori exclaimed, “Now what?” He started to walk into school and pretend he didn't see anything. But then he heard someone coming, someone who probably heard the shots and scream. He didn't know what to do. He couldn't get caught…He was a popular gangster after all; no one would doubt the possibility of him being involved.
 
Without thinking, he reached down and scooped the girl up into his arms and ran down the street in the other direction. He took her glasses off because they were in his way. He thought for a second of what to do with them. He didn't figure she needed them that bad, and threw them onto the grass beside the sidewalk. When he was far enough down the street, she turned off into an alleyway. He knew the back streets of the city very well.
 
He dropped her behind a trashcan and turned to walk away, when she began to wake up. He didn't have time to get away from her without being caught. She sat up and faintly looked around. He watched her for a second.
 
“Wh…where am I?”
 
“Shut up. An alley, stupid, whacha think?”
 
“Where are my glasses?”
 
“I don't know. I took `em off somewhere.”
 
Her face dropped, “Wha……Where are they?
 
“Shut up, dammit, I said I don't know!”
 
“You took them off and lost them!?!”
 
“Well, yeah.”
 
She tried to get up, but remembered the pain in her arm and winced as she took hold of it. “I… need them back.”
 
“Yeah right, like I could find `em! I don't even know where it was.”
 
“Please…I have to have them, I can't see a thing!”
 
“Shut up! Didn't I tell you to stop talking!?!”
 
Aoi tried to get up again. She gritted her teeth, but managed it. She held the wound on her arm, and began to walk toward the exit of the alley.
 
“Where do you think you're going now!”
 
She didn't say a word, just walked away.
 
“Baka!” *anger vein* He followed her.
 
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*>&l t;*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
 
After nearly twenty minutes of Aoi's silence and Midori's negative ramblings, Aoi found her glasses. They were bent, but not broken. She fixed them and then put them back on her face. They were a little crooked, which, of course, Midori laughed at.
 
“Now, I'm going back to school,” she said, “I need to get my arm bandaged up.”
 
They had made it back to where he backpack had been laying at the gate of the school.
 
“Fine. Whatever, but you look like an idiot,” he replied, walking away.
 
“Where are you going!?!”
 
“Eh - it's been a long morning. I think I'm gonna skip today.”
 
“!!! You can't skip! That's against the rules!”
 
“And…since when have I followed the rules?”
 
She watched him angrily as he walked away.
 
“Have fun being laughed at again today! Only this time,” he said turning around, “You won't have me to make everyone else leave you alone. *laughs* Man, you'll get it bad as hell today!”
 
She stopped. She thought about how bad it usually is.
 
WAIT! I won't have you to make everyone else leave me alone? What's that mean? Does he really fend off other jerks? Well that's good, I guess.”
 
She turned around. “Midori…”
 
He turned to look at her, “Whadya want?”
 
“Hmph - never mind.”
 
She picked up her backpack and slung it over her good shoulder. The Time Crystal fell from the pocket that had been opened during all the commotion.
 
“oops,” she said, reaching down to pick I up.
 
“Where'd you get that?” Midori snapped.
 
“I found it…”
 
He reached over and grabbed it from her hand.
 
“Hey! Give that back! It's mine!”
 
“You idiot! This is ours!”
 
“Ours?”
 
“My family's. I dunno…what you're doing with it, but you can't have it.”
 
“I'm sorry…I just…”
 
“Shut up! Dang, how many times do I gotta tell you! No one wants to hear you talk, so just shut up!”
 
Aoi lowered her head.
 
Suddenly more gunshots rang out from somewhere around the area. Not knowing where they were coming from, Midori ducked.
 
“Duck, stupid!”
 
Aoi hit the ground just like Midori had. After a few seconds with no gunfire, a man came running up the street waving the shotgun in the air. Midori grabbed Aoi's arm.
 
“Let's go!”
 
She squealed at the pain that shot through her body. Midori ran extremely fast, almost dragging Aoi behind him. Her eyes watered at the pain of him grabbing her wounded arm.
 
Oh my gosh…That hurts! Midori! Please let go of me!”
 
He ran back through the same alleyway he had come. As they turned the corner, shots were fired in their direction. He kept running, turning through a maze of alleys and back roads. At one turn, there was a construction barrier, but they were going so fast and Midori didn't have time to see, let alone avoid it. He crashed into the barrier and tripped, throwing Aoi across the alley right next to a construction pit. She lay on the ground in pain.
 
Midori looked around and saw no one. He glanced at Aoi, but heard someone running towards them. Thinking it could be the gunman; he started to run.
 
“Midori! Don't just leave me!” Aoi exclaimed.
 
“Get up, baka! Don't just lay there on the ground like an idiot!”
 
“I…”
 
The gunman rounded the corner. Midori sighed and ran to help Aoi to her feet. She stood and was about to say thank you when the ground beneath her collapsed and she begin to fall backwards into the pit. She screamed and grabbed onto Midori's shirt to try and stop herself from falling, however he too fell in.
 
“We're dead now!” she screamed.
 
Suddenly, the purple crystal lit up an shone all around them. Startled, Midori let go of the stone as they continued to fall.
 
“Why'd you let it go?!” Aoi asked.
 
“I don't remember the pit being this deep.”
 
All around them was bright flashes of purple and pink and they felt themselves freeze.
 
“What's going on?” Aoi thought, “I can't move!”
 
The stone disappeared above them and they slowly fell to a stop.
 
Aoi grabbed her throbbing arm, “What…happened.”
 
“Shut up, wench!”
 
Aoi turned away and looked around. They were not in the bottom of a pit. They weren't even on the ground. They were sitting on the branches of a dogwood tree in the middle of a forest!
 
“What in hell?” Midori exclaimed.
 
Aoi said nothing, but looked around in shock. Midori jumped of the limb and onto the ground below them. Midori looked up at Aoi, still sitting in the tree.
 
“Well, aren't ya gonna get down?”
 
She hesitated to speak, “I…I can't. My arm, it hurts.”
 
He chuckled. “Well, that's a shame.”
 
Midori laughed once more and started walking off.
 
Aoi stared at him, “Is he really gonna leave me here???”
 
He disappeared into the trees.
 
“Mi…Midori?”
 
There was no reply.
 
“Midori?” she called, a little louder and more frightened.
 
She waited for him to come strolling back, pointing and laughing at her helpless situation. That's what she expected. But he didn't come. There wasn't even a sound through the trees except a bird that flew overhead. Aoi looked around and listened, now in panic.
 
“MIDORI!!!”
 
Still, the forest was silent.
 
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*>&l t;*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><* ><*>
 
Yaha! Chapter 3 should be around shortly! I'm really likin where this story is going! Wohoo! Okay, till next time!