Fan Fiction ❯ Titans Revealed ❯ A Mystery Revealed (Just Not to You) ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: I am, of course, using the most recently animated version of the Justice League.

Chapter 4: A Mystery Revealed

Raven knew beforehand that she could not simply just walk into the Watchtower. It was, after all, located in space, and at the moment, the Teen Titans didn't have a ship capable of space flight. But a ship would've drawn unnecessary attention.

But that was just figuratively speaking. Actually, Raven COULD simply walk into the Watchtower…and she did, literally phasing through the front door.

Though she had to give the JLers credit where it was due, for before she could take her first step, the alarms went off.

An instant later, Raven's path was blocked by a red blur, which soon solidified itself into a man with a red costume.

"Normally, I don't hit girls, but walking into our base like that is just asking for trouble, little lady."

Raven's left eye twitched beneath her hood. "I need to speak with Batman."

The Flash eyed her curiously. "Well, I have to admit you do look like a fan of his work…"

Her eyes flashed dangerously. "I am NOT a-"

"Flash. She means us no harm," said a voice behind them. "Let her pass."

Flash glanced back at his friend. "You sure, J'onn?"

The Martian nodded, staring gravely at Raven. "She does have business with Batman. That much I am certain of."

"If anything, she's proven that our defense system needs upgrading," Batman said as he entered.

Raven looked immensely relieved as she followed him from the room. "Should I have called ahead?"

"I knew you'd be coming, eventually," he replied. "You didn't sound satisfied with our last conversation."

"After you told me about the other…Robins, I thought you could do something with this." She held out a test tube with several hair samples.

Batman nodded as he accepted the tube. "I was going to suggest that myself. Within a few hours, we'll know who your Robin is…or, who he isn't."

* * * * *

"Go Fishing!!!" Starfire cried triumphantly.

Beast Boy sighed and put his cards down. "Star, it's just Go Fish. That's it. No -Ing. Okay?"

"Can't blame her. She IS winning," Cyborg muttered sullenly. "Which she wouldn't if she'd just learn to play ANY other card game."

Starfire turned to Robin, who was watching the game rather half-heartedly. "Am I not doing well, Robin?"

"Um…yeah, just great," Robin murmured distractedly. "I'm sure you'll win."

"Is something wrong?" she asked, instantly concerned.

"I appreciate you guys moving the game in here so I could watch, but…I'm just not in the mood for fun."

"You call this FUN?" Cyborg grunted to himself.

"Have we displeased you in some way???" Starfire asked, worry in her tone. "I mean…other than encasing your body in steel restraints?"

Robin smiled uneasily. "No. I guess I'm still worried about what Raven will find out."

"Relax, Rob," Cyborg said suddenly. "No matter what she finds out, you're still a Teen Titan."

"I'll even let you be the odd one for a while," Beast Boy offered with a grin.

* * * * *

Superman noticed there were two other people in the cafeteria as he entered. The first was Wonder Woman, who was in her usual spot. The second was…someone he didn't know, over at a corner table by herself. At any rate, she didn't exactly look like she wanted company, so he opted to sit with Wonder Woman.

"How was Centanus 7?" she asked, handing him a cup of coffee as he sat next to her.

"Violent," he replied. "Sometimes I think they only make treaties in order to break them and start new conflicts. GL and I were able to work out a temporary cease-fire…emphasis on temporary." He paused and nodded slightly at the lone girl. "I wasn't aware we had a visitor."

"Her name is Raven. Apparently, she has some business with Batman."

Superman couldn't help but look somewhat amused. "Another of his partners, then? I don't believe I've ever run into this one."

"I don't think she's a partner," Wonder Woman answered slowly. "But whatever she's here for does have something to do with Robin."

He was instantly concerned. "Is he okay?"

"No idea. Batman hasn't said a word, as usual, and she's even more reserved than he is."

"At her age? That can't be healthy." Superman put down his cup and stood up.

Wonder Woman looked alarmed. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to say hello," he said simply.

"I wouldn't, if I were you. She doesn't seem to do greetings. Manners aside…there's something I don't like about her. I can't put my finger on it, but…"

"You have to give people a chance before you write them off, Diana," he admonished. "You said yourself she's here with Batman. Do you really think he'd allow a potential enemy to stay here?"

"She wasn't exactly invited-" Wonder Woman began, but Superman was already heading for Raven's table. With a frustrated sigh, she followed at a distance.

Raven appeared to be deep in meditation, but opened her eyes and sipped her tea warily as they walked up.

"Hello there." Superman offered his hand.

Raven didn't even look at it. "Hi."

"…I take it you know who we are?"

"Yes," she replied shortly.

"And you are…?" Wonder Woman supplied.

"Currently, somewhat annoyed," Raven replied tersely.

"I think she's referring your credentials," Superman added helpfully. "Where are you based? Do you work alone or with a team? How long have you been fighting crime?"

Raven glared at him. "None. Of your. Business. And if `Diana' wants to know something, she should ask me directly. Not that she'll fare any better, but it would at least show some backbone."

"We don't get a lot of visitors," Superman pointed out before Wonder Woman could reply. Almost absently, he moved his outstretched hand a little closer.

"I. Don't. Shake." Raven frowned at the large hand until it was withdrawn.

"Ah. Germs?" he guessed.

"No. Unneeded social tradition invented by a society I am not overly fond of."

"Oh." He blinked. "Well, it was…interesting meeting you, Raven."

"Unfortunately, I can't say the same," she sighed, returning to her meditation.

"What did I tell you?" Wonder Woman asked as they walked away.

Superman nodded. "I see your point. But now I'm even more convinced she's with Batman. I've never met another person so…"

"Surly?"

"…I was going to say distant."

She smirked. "Of course you were."

* * * * *

"I think you'll be surprised," Batman said as he looked over the test results one last time.

Raven frowned. "Surprised as in the President wants to thank us, or as in our base has been destroyed?"

"That would depend on how attached you and your team have become to Robin." He handed her a printout. "These are my findings. Ultimately, Robin is a member of the Teen Titans, so his fate is totally in your hands."

"You're…certain about these results?" she asked softly after a long moment.

"Positive. All the tests came back exactly the same." Batman studied her carefully. "Although I could understand why you'd doubt the results. I did myself, at first."

"Oh? What changed your mind?"

"You don't get where I am without making your share of enemies. Some are smarter than they have a right to be. A few are even sharper than those. It was only a matter of time before someone went this far."

"But…why would an enemy do this? Why would a criminal bring us all together?" Raven asked.

"I can't answer that. Perhaps to train you for a certain purpose. For all we know, the plan might have failed the moment Robin formed the Teen Titans. He could very well have resisted whatever outside force summoned him. Or he could still be under its influence. That's why I must leave this decision in your hands, Raven. I have no right to make this choice for you and your friends."

"Then our decision is final? You and the Justice League won't try to intervene at all?"

"Exactly," Batman replied. "As far as I'm concerned, you were never here."

Raven looked over the printout one last time. Then she looked up at the Dark Knight. "Thank you."

He nodded. "Good luck."

* * * * *

"You don't have to do this," Robin said after he swallowed another mouthful of vanilla ice cream.

Starfire paused with the spoon halfway to his mouth again. "I am not certain what you mean, Robin."

"You don't have to feed me," he explained.

"But you cannot move your arms," she pointed out, a puzzled expression on her face. "How else could you possibly eat without help?"

"That's not what I meant." Robin bit his lip. "You don't have to remain loyal to me."

Starfire stared at him in shock. "Why would you say such a thing? We are friends, and friends always-"

"I'm not the Robin you think I am," he interrupted.

"Robin is just the name of a mask. You are my friend, with or without it. I've told you that already."

"You could always change your mind about me."

Starfire frowned. "I will not," she said stubbornly. "I would never turn my back on a friend."

"What if Raven asked you to? Don't you owe her some allegiance now?"

"…I do not believe Raven would ask me to do that," she replied after a moment. "It would never happen."

"It could. It probably will."

"You don't know that."

"You'd be surprised what I know," Robin said simply. "Like how to escape this suit of armor they locked me in."

"Then…why haven't you?" Starfire asked.

"It wouldn't do me any favors," he answered. "Escaping would only convince the others that I can't be trusted. Though I doubt they'll ever trust me again. I've always been too good with secrets."

"We all have…things we would rather not share. That does not make us untrustworthy. Just…private."

Robin smirked. "You're even starting to sound like Raven."

"That," said a familiar voice behind them, "could only be an improvement."

Starfire spun around in surprise, nearly dropping the ice cream as their teammate phased through the wall. "Raven! You've returned!"

"I'm aware." Raven walked over to the intercom and turned it on. "Cyborg & Beast Boy, come to the living room. We're going to decide what to do with Robin."

"Raven…is this really fair?" Starfire asked hesitantly.

"Do you trust Cyborg & Beast Boy to help you make important decisions?" Raven asked.

"Yes, but-"

"Then it's fair," Raven said firmly. "Let's go. We have to be there, too."

"You're going to leave Robin alone?" Starfire asked.

Raven gave Robin a brief but significant look. "He's not going anywhere. Move it."

Starfire nodded and glanced at Robin one last time before following Raven from the cell.

Robin sighed and hung his head, knowing full well that this could be his last night as a Teen Titan.

* * * * *

Next Time: Raven discusses Batman's findings, the team makes a choice, and Robin's fate is sealed.