Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors Into the Tundra made from the Warrior book series ❯ Mountain Crisis ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Mountain crisis
Chapter 8

He opened his green eyes to see a bright light shining . His stopped to sniff the surface of the wall of the mountain, it’s scent smelled so unfamiliar. “This does not smell like my home,” he mewed. He turned to see that Rainpaw had curled beside him. His eyes saw that Tigerpaw also had fallen asleep. Getting up he padded over to see that all the other cats had fallen asleep as well.
“The scent of wind is gone now,” he purred. In response he saw that the pale ginger apprentice twitch his ear. “Tigerpaw, are you awake,” he asked the smaller cat? Tigerpaw said no response but his tail flicked with homesickness as he saw an opening of sunlight not far beyond the wall. Pressing himself against the wall he saw that a small creak was opening in the wall. Fawnheart go up her sleek body shook as she saw the large amount of light in the cave. He saw that she had been asleep with Ravenheart and Amberpaw under the hole they had fallen through. Swiftclaw was tumbled asleep not far from a small crevice in the wall in front of the hole.
Next to a small pond of water is where Hawkfur slept, his dark stripes shined brightly in the mists of the lightened cave. Tigerpaw got up his back arched as stretched his front legs. “Hey that hurts you stupid furball,” hissed Rainpaw pushing Tigerpaw into the wall. “Well sorry, for waking you, lazy no good crowfood,” muttered Tigerpaw padding over toward Cheetahfur.
“humph,” growled Swiftclaw blinking sleep out of his eyes. The sight of the sun drawn opening made the dark gray warrior open his eyes. “What is wrong with this cave,” he mewed pawing his way though the crowd of cats waking up.
“The sight of the morning, is beautiful,” purred Amberpaw licking her paw then rubbing it against her eye. “Yes, it is,” purred Fawnheart rubbing her muzzle against Amberpaw’s. “The day has begun and so has our journey,” Rainpaw purred standing beside Cheetahfur. He tilted his head to see that Rainpaw had gotten up despite her anger of being woken up by Tigerpaw.
“Good morning Cheetahfur,” purred Fawnheart her eyes glimmered from the sunlight. “You too I guess,” he mewed back surprised at such a nice comment. The white apprentice next to him eyes filled with an unreadable look as she turned away to face the other two apprentices. “Hello there Rainpaw,” mewed Amberpaw shifting to her feet. Rainpaw nodded then padded over to the opening of the cave.
Her eyes bright with glow of radiance. “Well I think I may be able get out us out,” she mewed clawing the opening with her paws.
“Her claws aren’t strong enough to get us out of here,” hissed Swiftclaw. “I can do it,” hissed Rainpaw staring at the other cats. “Fine, I hope you don’t break a nail,” laughed Swiftclaw padding up to stand beside Hawkfur. A look of worry spread across his face. What was going to happen to us if we can’t get out? What will happen to Rainpaw if she gets hurt? We don’t have a medicine cat out here.
Cheetahfur padded over toward the apprentice his eyes wide with wonder. “What will we do,” he whispered looking at the wall.
“That’s it,” spat Hawkfur running toward the wall. “The wall is really part of the mountain. We need to get out before dark or we could die. Cheetahfur looked up where the hole had led then down into the safety of the cave. “The hole is gone,” he spat!
“Yes, it is,” echoed Tigerpaw glancing at the rock that had fallen on top of it. “That is why we felt no wind last night,” hissed Fawnheart her fur bristling. “Well if you stop talking Hawkfur might tell you the way out of here,” spat Tigerpaw!
Cheetahfur shivered, did the apprentice give great respect toward the dark warrior or was it something the young cat believed?
“I saw a small crevice that leads down a hole leading to the other side of the mountain,” Hawkfur meowed looked over his shoulder at a small crevice. “The crevice is about the size of a kit though,” hissed Swiftclaw flicking his tail out of hunger.
“I can try,” mewed Amberpaw her green eyes glared with an unending sympathy. “Yes I believe that she can fit through,” spat Hawkfur in approval. Tigerpaw nodded then padded over to the older warrior. “What will come of this.” hissed Ravenheart looking at Rainpaw then Amberpaw.
Cheetahfur nodded then padded over toward the white apprentice.
“Rainpaw you got to stop,” he mewed. She didn’t stop clawing at the wall then the opening. “Wait, just because you want to go that way doesn’t mean I want to,” she spat stopping to give him a cold stare. “I don’t even think we can make it there,” she hissed weeping.
He nodded though he felt it hard to know the only clan mate he had here felt they were going to die before reaching the cloud place.
“Rainpaw we might not survive but we still must have hope that Starclan will bring us through,” he meowed looking at all his friends.
“We just gotta believe,” he mewed. He padded beside Rainpaw his fur brushed against hers. “You must have faith Rainpaw,” mewed Amberpaw also padding beside her friend to give ear a quick lick.
“I guess you are right,” Rainpaw mewed padding away toward the other cats. “She’ll be all right,” meowed Amberpaw padding toward the crevice. “I doubt it,” hissed Swiftclaw who stood beside Fawnheart and Hawkfur, his large blue eyes made Cheetahfur see he thought the apprentice was going to die.
“I do hope you can make it to the cloud place,” hissed Swiftclaw once more. Rainpaw paused her eyes were closed and unreadable.
“My friends have given me hope,” she spat glaring at the dark tom. Her claws unsheathed and then she jumped onto the older tom. Since Swiftclaw was not prepared for her attack, he stood petrified against the ground. Rainpaw stood menacing not far away to see the small mark she left on his tail.
“Now you’ll never forget her,” laughed Fawnheart impressed by the small apprentice’s quick attack. Swiftclaw snorted, his fur was ruffled as if he had been in a battle earlier. “You better hope I don’t kill you while you sleep,” he hissed.
Cheetahfur saw Rainpaw flinch. Why would he try to threaten her when she was chosen to also complete the journey.
He stood in front of her his fur was bristling. “Well if you do even think about hurting my fellow clanmate you better think again, he hissed unsheathing his claws. “Touch her and you’ll have to face me,” he added giving Swiftclaw a hard stare.
“Well that’s why Starclan wanted you to come, to protect her from getting killed by me,” laughed Swiftclaw, his eyes filled with a glimpse of amusement as if he forgot that she just had attacked him.
Hawkfur looked at him with a stern growl. “We need to get along or we’ll never survive. Even you Swiftclaw will eventually die!”
Hawkfur turned to follow Amberpaw. Her green eyes burned in the darkness of the crevice. “Can you see Amberpaw,” asked Ravenheart?
“Yes!”
“Ok, I was just asking,” spat Ravenheart quietly. “Hurry up Amberpaw,” hissed Hawkfur pawing at the crevice with his paw.
“You know we don’t have all day remember!”
“Yah, I know but don’t be disappointed if I can’t find the exit,” the dark ginger apprentice hissed back as she went farther into the crevice.
“I’ll go in after her,” hissed Tigerpaw pushing into the crevice.
“Oh, mouse-dung,” snapped Hawkfur looking deep into the crevice once more. His muscles tensed as he saw
Rainpaw pad after them in to the crevice. “Don’t worry about me,” spat Tigerpaw who saw her following. “I just want to help,” she purred racing toward the dark ginger apprentice in front of her. “Any luck,” she asked looking over her shoulder in the blinding darkness. “I haven’t found anything yet,” Amberpaw replied giving a high pitched sigh.
“Quit your moaning and keep searching,” spat Swiftclaw returning to his normal self. “Well I hope we find a exit up here because there is no way I can fit through that crevice,” he added looking around incase they had missed a new way out.
“I hope you keep your big mouth closed,” spat Tigerpaw raking his claws down on the dark gray tom. “What are you doing up here,” spat Swiftclaw trying to claw at Tigerpaw’s hind leg.
“You must be reminded that they are on their own and I believe they can find the way out,” he purred looking down the crevice.
“I believe you have a much different reason,” hissed Hawkfur almost clawing the apprentice’s left ear off. “Humph, you can’t aim,” spat Swiftclaw pouncing on top of the apprentice.
“You mouse-brains,” spat Ravenheart grabbing Swiftclaw by the scruff of his neck. Fawnheart grabbed the scruff of Tigerpaw so they couldn’t fight anymore.
“Well it looks like you’ll have to get along now, or next time we won’t save either of you two,” Fawnheart laughed padding over to sit by Ravenheart. “This mountain is too steep to climb,” meowed Cheetahfur trying to avoid another situation.
“How do we know if we don’t even try,” mewed Hawkfur encouragingly. “I know we could’ve done it earlier if we had woken up a bit earlier.”
Cheetahfur realized the Shadowclan warrior was thanking him from the terrible threat of the Twoleg’s monster that had nearly killed him. If a cave hadn’t formed around him, he like many other cats would be heading for Starclan. There a strong glare of hope shining out of Hawkfur’s greenish amber eyes.
“I think that Fawnheart is right about getting along and I was wrong to try to injure one of the chosen cats,” he mewed.
Cheetahfur nodded. “At least someone’s grown up,” laughed Tigerpaw flicking his ears at Swiftclaw. “You are just an annoying piece of mouse-dung,” growled the dark gray warrior without flinching.
“I wouldn’t talk if I were you,” hissed Ravenheart nudging the smaller cat.
“I hope you can hurry up,” spat Swiftclaw padding over toward the crevice. “I don’t know if there is a way out,” spat Rainpaw from deep in the crevice. “Well keep looking,” Swiftclaw growled back, flicking his tail annoyingly.
Tigerpaw made his eyes into slits. “Well I hope we can make it through tonight,” he mewed looking at the lightened part of the cave. His ear were flat and his tail flicked with an unsure certainty.