Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors Into the Tundra made from the Warrior book series ❯ Choas in the Crevice ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Chaos in the crevice
Chapter 9

Tigerpaw looked hopelessly lost. Cheetahfur thought he was going to give up just by the look on the pale apprentice’s face. “I’ll go help them,” he mewed trying to get out of reach of the light. “I just know, that we will find a way out,” meowed Fawnheart sitting up straight. “I do too,” purred Hawkfur licking his paw then rubbing it over his forehead.
Cheetahfur padded over toward the wall once more, his fur bristling and his ear flat. “We’ve been here long enough,” hissed Swiftclaw padding beside the spotted tabby. “I think that we’ll never see another scrap of prey again,” he added slashing his claws against the wall of the cave.
“Temperamental,” hissed Ravenheart who lied down, her eyes wide with amusement. “You should go fetch a mouse,” spat Swiftclaw, his fur bristling. “You know better then to pick a fight with me,” laughed Ravenheart giving a cold stare to the dark gray tom.
“I’ve eaten things that were bigger then you,” hissed Swiftclaw licking his paw.
“Will you two stop fighting,” spat Fawnheart clawing at the ground in front of them. “You need to learn when to keep your mouths closed,” she hissed flicking her tail impatiently.
“Oh, you go eat a rat,” spat Swiftclaw, pacing himself beside Hawkfur. “The scent of this mountain is driving me crazy,” he added looking at the damp rocks scattered around him.
“I think I found a way out of here,” mewed Rainpaw rushing through the small crevice. Her medium hair looked like a pile of snow in leaf-bare.
“Really,” asked Swiftclaw looking expectantly at the apprentice? The scent of the walls made Tigerpaw sneeze. His light amber eyes seemed to enlighten at the hearing of getting out of the cave.
“Are you sure we can get out,” asked Hawkfur? His paw steps matched Tigerpaw. “Alright let’s go I’m starving,” mewed Tigerpaw padding into the crevice.
“There’s a problem though,” she stopped her eyes looked fretful. “I only think us three can fit through the crevice,” she meowed turning to face Cheetahfur and Hawkfur. “I don’t think you five can get out unless you go through it,” she added her tail fell to the ground.
“No way I’m I going to stay,” hissed Swiftclaw hitting his sharp claws against the rock crevice.
“I can try to go through the crevice,” mewed Cheetahfur rushing to the small crack in the rocks. “What if you can’t make it,” hissed Hawkfur also clawing at the crevice.
“It is a little bit bigger then before,” meowed Cheetahfur pawing at the crack. Cheetahfur went into a crouch his heart raced as he pushed his head through the sharp edges.
He squeezed his body between the crack. His flank heaved in air as he passed through the crevice.
The pressure of another cat pushed at his side. He used the pressure to allow him to pass through the huge crack. Breathing he saw that he had passed through the crevice. His eyes widened as he saw that Swiftclaw was trying next to go through it as well.
His large black hooked claws dung into the ground near Cheetahfur. Swiftclaw was also a short haired cat and his weight had been lost, although he had a thin body. Swiftclaw’s claws dug deep into a rock as he forced his way out of the crevice.
“Hey I made it,” he purred rushing past Cheetahfur to follow Tigerpaw and Amberpaw. Rainpaw followed Swiftclaw her tail twitched as she pasted through the crevice without breaking a sweat.
“Oh hello Cheetahfur,” she mewed padding toward him her eyes were unreadable under the undying light of the sun. “I didn’t think you would make it,” she mewed passing him to catch up with the dark ginger apprentice, Amberpaw.
Cheetahfur shook his head. He didn’t get what she meant by what she said.
Ravenheart followed him, her sleek body pressed through the crevice and out of the cave. “Yes I’m free now,” she purred as Fawnheart followed.
“What grace,” purred Hawkfur following her. “So Hawkfur where do you think we should be heading after this,” she mewed ignoring his sarcastic mouth.
“I think we’re almost there,” he mewed following the scent of the other Shadowclan cat, Tigerpaw. “Well let’s hope so,” hissed Ravenheart eying the dark tabby with an unbelievable glare.
“Don’t worry alright,” he hissed back tumbling after the other cats. “Come on Cheetahfur lets go,” meowed Ravenheart who nudged Fawnheart with her muzzle. “Yes I think it is time that we leave,” Fawnheart mewed following Amberpaw.
The scent of the mountain soon got stronger. Cheetahfur watched as they stopped in front of a large opening in the wall. It was a steep droop down and it looked like it would take some time to get down and off the mountain.
“What will we do now,” spat Swiftclaw shifting his weight onto the cliff overhanging the mountain. “There is a long way down,” hissed Ravenheart her eyes wide with fear.
Her claws scraped at the ledge. “No way I’m I jumping.”
“I rather die in a battle then get killed falling off a mountain,” hissed Fawnheart.
“I am not going to get down there alive,” cried Amberpaw. Tigerpaw pressed close to comfort the ginger apprentice. “We have to for it is the will of Starclan that we go to find storm so, we should survive.” he mewed.
“Yes, we will live,” hissed Rainpaw staring widely at the steep drop. “I still am not so sure,” mewed Fawnheart still shivering.
Cheetahfur nodded then padded over to the edge of the ledge.
The ground rumbled underneath him. He saw that the ledge where he stood was breaking off. Suddenly he felt the ledge had fallen.
His claws gripped the sharp edge of the broken ledge. Beneath him he felt panic as he watched the ledge that had fallen beneath him crashed into a hundred pieces on top of a sharp rock. His hind legs clawed at the bottom of the ledge.
Cheetahfur prayed to Starclan that he would not fall to have the same fate as the rock ledge did. His heart pounded faster then the speed of light, as he struggled to hold his position. The weakened strenght from his desire of hunger made him lose his usually strenght. He didn’t think he could last much longer.
His claws slid making him lose his grip of the rock ledge. “No, Cheetahfur,” yowled Amberpaw her expression made him realize he had let go of the ledge. The blood rushed to his ears, and he tried to breath so he could scream but he felt something grip tightly on the scruff of his neck.
The pressure accelerated and he pushed his paws hard against the ledge his grip was returned and he pushed his hind legs against the edge.
Pulling onto the ledge his panting increased as he fell to the rock ledge. All the other cats stood in front of him, their expressions were unreadable. Catching his breath he saw that Rainpaw had been the one who grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and had helped him to get up on to the ledge alive.
“Oh, thank Starclan,” Fawnheart meowed rubbing against Ravenheart. Hawkfur who stood next to her looked expectantly at him. “Wow”
“That was so close to your death, if it wasn’t for Rainpaw that is,” meowed Tigerpaw. “Yah, so next time don’t go so close to the edge of the ledge.” Rainpaw hissed. “Don’t expect me to save you next time either,” she added. “I think he can look after himself,” mewed Tigerpaw. “He just wasn’t’ thinking that’s all.”
“Thanks,” meowed Cheetahfur sarcastically. “Oh, your welcome,” Tigerpaw mewed giving him a slow glare of happiness.
“Next time though, your crowfood,” hissed Swiftclaw looking at the brown/gold tabby. “I thought you were smart enough to not go near the edge of a cliff,” laughed Rainpaw licking her paw. “Apparently not,” mewed Ravenheart.
“Can we eat now, I’m starving,” meowed Swiftclaw who stood beside Hawkfur.
“What hope do we have now though,” hissed Hawkfur seeing there was no where to go now. “I know,” meowed Cheetahfur pawing toward the right edge of the ledge. Rainpaw gripped his tail between her teeth. “No, you idiot,” she hissed fury sparked in her eyes.
“When I was looking down on the edge of the ledge I saw a way down,” he mewed pulling away from the apprentice.
“When will you learn,” hissed Swiftclaw. “You should talk,” spat Rainpaw.
“I think if we jump down those ledges we should be able to reach the bottom in a few hours,” he mewed getting all the cats attention.
“But what if we fall off the ledge like you almost did,” asked Amberpaw her green eyes filled with fear? “I hope it doesn’t happen again,” meowed Hawkfur standing closely to the cat next to him.
Cheetahfur nodded then jumped off of the ledge his back legs pushed off the edge. “Why did he just do that,” hissed Swiftclaw looking at Ravenheart with amusement and fear in his eyes?
“Cheetahfur,” Rainpaw muttered flicking her tail with sorrow. “Hey I’m all right,” meowed Cheetahfur jumping onto a higher ledge.
Rainpaw growled as she ran over the edge to land on the one he was on. “Beat that,” she hissed padding over to Cheetahfur. Tigerpaw nudged Amberpaw with his muzzle. “Let’s go next,” he purred nudging her once more. She silently and slowly padded over to the edge of the ledge, her weight shifted as she saw how high they were. “Show no fear,” she muttered.
She went into crouch then she sprang onto the first ledge. Tigerpaw slowly followed springing after her and the Riverclan cats. “This is easy,” spat Tigerpaw who stood beside Cheetahfur.
Tigerpaw flicked his tail with enjoyment for the first time. Amberpaw rushed too join them, her paws almost missed the second jump. “Good thing I’m here to watch you,” purred Tigerpaw gripping her paw with his paw.
Hawkfur and Swiftclaw followed each other onto the ledge.
Hawkfur was ravening as he paused to leap onto the first jump to the first ledge. Fawnheart followed him, her bushy tail flicked with curiosity.
Ravenheart padded along side the other Thunderclan cat. Her eyes stared widely at the sight of the ledge. “Fear is just a shallow emotion,” spat Swiftclaw hissing at the black and white she-cat.
“How would you know,” she spat back while jumping onto the other cat. The two cats rolled on top of each other, their fur bristling as they clawed at each other.
“All this over an argument,” laughed Swiftclaw jumping away from Ravenheart. “Yes, to me that is something to fight for,” she hissed jumping onto the ledge where all the other cats stood.
Fawnheart followed Hawkfur her eyes still tried to hide her fear but not even the gentleness of Hawkfur made it dissipate. “Lets hurry and go,” she mewed flinging herself to the third jump. Her amber eyes stared at the next ledges all of them seemed to never end yet it would still bring them to the bottom of the mountain.
“I will be strong,” she muttered. Leaping from one edge to another she finally reached the bottom her companions followed swiftly and tiredly.