Fan Fiction ❯ Warriors Into the Tundra made from the Warrior book series ❯ Into the Tundra ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Into the tundra
Chapter 10

Cheetahfur felt his fur bristle. Something just wasn’t right?
“What is going on,” he hissed looking in front of the cats. “Where did all this grass come from,” mewed Rainpaw looking at the ground. “It looks like the mountain might have prey after all.” laughed Hawkfur sniffing the ground to see mouse-dung.
“Disgusting,” spat Tigerpaw avoiding where Hawkfur was standing. “I agree, but know this means we can eat,” mewed Amberpaw jumping off the last ledge. “I can find some food,” offered Hawkfur. “I’ll go with you,” mewed Fawnheart padding after him. “I will go as well,” Rainpaw mewed following Fawnheart.
“Yah, as long as you don’t save me like you did Cheetahfur,” teased Hawkfur prodding ahead. “You wish, furball,” laughed Rainpaw.
“Let’s go Ravenheart we have to get started on finding a shelter,” mewed Amberpaw. “Tigerpaw, you can go and search for some water,” hissed Swiftclaw flicking the apprentice with his tail.
“Sure as long as I’m not anywhere near you,” spat Tigerpaw narrowing his pupils into slits. “I can help him find water,” purred Amberpaw lashing out to follow the other apprentice.
“Either there close friends already or they are,” mewed Swiftclaw pausing. “Yes, I’m afraid I’ve already noticed,” Cheetahfur mewed. Why did Amberpaw have to fall for that Shadowclan apprentice though, what will happen if the clans survive this, do they actually think they can see each other anymore?
Cheetahfur shuddered. His eyes turned into slits as he caught a glimpse of a tall tree in the distance. “You look for shelter that way while I go this way,” mewed Swiftclaw hopping off the rock he stood on toward the area the apprentices had went.
He shivered the temperature had decreased from the last hour. Hoping he had gone hunting he headed over toward where Ravenheart had gone his eyes mystified at a strong rush of heat in the breeze and the loud noise of water falling.
What is that sound,” spat Cheetahfur sniffing the ground then opened his mouth to taste the air. “It smells like water,” he purred.
“What do you mean smells like water,” asked Ravenheart padding up beside him. “I found some shelter,” she purred flicking her tail. “I have a strange feeling that where ever that gray cat has gone he’s not going to come back on his own,” she laughed padding after the way Swiftclaw went. “Ok odd,” he laughed squeezing between the bushes in front of him. The scent of heat filled his nostrils. He couldn’t see from the heat of the water causing a fog like gas in front of him.
Taking a step closer he fell into the water with a splash. He shook his head to see a small cave behind it. “Wow this hot pond has a waterfall,” he purred jumping into the cave. “The sad thing is that me and Rainpaw are the only ones who can swim well enough to get into the cave,” he sighed looking out of the cave to see things that didn’t see him.
“What is that strange smell,” he asked seeing a large blur of an object in front of the bush that was in front of the waterfall. “It kind of smells like a dog,” he hissed looking closer to see the long snout, the curved up ears, a brownish gray pelt and a long bushy tail.
“It has no scent of a Twoleg on it,” he spat confused. “He must be like a rogue only as a dog,” he hissed clawing at the ground to see closer what the dog was doing. “Hey there are a few rabbit’s in front of it,” he purred about ready to leap out and kill them but he remembered the dog was out there.
It didn’t flinch at first, it smell the bushes and must had smelled him for it growled as it smelled the ground he had just been on, it’s small amber eyes looked diminishing and ready to kill.
The dog started to do a pounce then sprang after the rabbit’s. It gripped one in less then a second, then flung it into the air. The rabbit soon lay dead, as would he if he didn’t get away from the dog.
Cheetahfur watched as the wild dog flung it’s head into the air. Opening it’s mouth to do a deadly eerie howl that seemed to echo in the distance. At first Cheetahfur believed the dog could have been doing a victory howl for killing the rabbit but he was obviously wrong. As the howl ended he saw over ten other dogs running towards it. Some were the same color yet others were black and white, gray, black, and solid white.
Their long white teeth bled with an uncertain curiosity as they gathered around the rabbit. Some of their ears were back and tail between their legs as if they were sad or being threatened. As he looked closer he saw that they were savagely bigger then a regular dog, a lot larger. What was he to do if all he could do was watch as the wild pack of dogs ran amok, trapped. The most largest of the dogs came in front of the other dogs. It bared its teeth as another who stood beside it did. Their ears were up and their tails high above their rears.
It growled then snapped at the rabbit tearing flesh from it’s shiny body. As it got up the other dogs growled with fury since all of the rabbit was gone beside it’s bones, even the hide of rabbit’s pelt was gone.
The dog turned away and raced off into the direction Hawkfur and the others had went. What if they were hunted instead of hunting?
Cheetahfur waited until the pack was out of sight to race out and land in the water. It’s strong rapid made it difficult to go fast, then he got pushed under by a heavy set of water flowing off the mountain.
As he tried to breath underwater his paws pushed but he couldn’t see. Trying to surface Cheetahfur headed north of where the waterfall hit him.
As he padded as ashore he shook the water from his fur, a scraggly patch of bones stood not far in front of him. Pawing at his eyes with his paw he shook the blinding water from his eyes.
Were those cannibal dogs or was he seeing things, usually dogs kill but they usually don’t eat it after. Maybe they weren’t dogs at all, but the flesh eating creatures he saw earlier made a shiver run down his spine as if shot by a streak of lightning.
“I have to find everyone before that pack dogs does,” hissed Cheetahfur running away from the waterfall over to the area where the dogs had run off to.
“I don’t know if this is where Hawkfur had led the others to, but I at least have to try and find them,” he determinedly mewed. As he padded off the large grassy field he detected something watching him.
“Who is there,” he hissed in a silent voice trying to see by the paw steps to determine the size of whatever it was.
Cheetahfur took a step back his ear prickled in alert as if he was being hunted like the rabbit back at the waterfall, though they saw the dog it still got caught.
His breath got shallow until he heard nothing in the bushes. Am I imagining it, he thought?
The sound of clawing made him turn and run, whatever it was he didn’t want to be eaten.
He stopped and turned to see the two apprentices he had been looking for. “Tigerpaw and Amberpaw, go and find Ravenheart and Swiftclaw,” he hissed. “Why,” asked Tigerpaw? “Are they in trouble or something?”
“No, just listen to me they are in danger of a pack of wild dogs,” he spat!
The two apprentices stared at them with humor spreading through their eyes. “Are you kidding me,” he mewed?
“No, if you don’t believe me, I don’t care but they still need to be found incase I am right,” Cheetahfur meowed nudging the smaller cats.
“They were much bigger then a regular Twoleg pet dog and it smelled worst then a fox, you have to believe me,” he mewed as he turned his back to try to go and find his other friends.
“Wait, Cheetahfur what will we do if we can’t find them,” he mewed? “Then try to find the waterfall next to the mountain, and try to get into the cave behind it,” Cheetahfur replied.
The pale striped apprentice nodded his eyes glittered with a strong determination. “Come on Amberpaw we need to find Ravenheart and Swiftclaw,” he mewed. The ginger she-cat nodded then turned to face Cheetahfur once more. “We found some water too,” she purred then she turned around to face Tigerpaw and padded off into the distance.
Cheetahfur rushed toward the scent that carried his friend’s scents.
As he hit his paws hard against the ground, he heard it echo in the distance. “This is not the best place to hunt,” he hissed trying to catch his breath.
“I don’t know where they could have gone to hunt, they probably get lost if they had gone any farther,” he mewed looking over his shoulder to see the sun was setting. “Where are those furballs,” he hissed stomping his paw against the ground.
The damp grass brushed against his dark spotted pelt, his camouflaged brown colored fur with a golden chest blended with the dead dry grass that growed far away from field.
“I wonder why the grass over here is so dry,” he asked himself looking at the pale sun colored grass. “What is with this place, it’s so different from the mountain and my home,” he mewed coldly.
He looked at the clouds once more, the sun barely shined and the land was going dark.
His fur bristled at the sight of the darkened sky. “Hawkfur?” “Fawnheart?” “Rainpaw?” where are you three,” he sighed his ears prickled at the sound of movement behind him.
Cheetahfur growled, his striped tail twitched from a nervous glitch.
He saw two glowing eyes from the bushes. The scent of fresh killed prey made the creature reek with the scent of fresh blood.
“What’s that thing?”
“Is it the dogs again?”
He looked closer at the glaring eyes blinking they disappeared. “Where did they go,” mewed Cheetahfur standing his ground by digging his claws deep into the ground, his fur bristled furiously.
“Fresh meat, but what is that other scent,” he mewed looking at the bushes.
“Show no fear,” he hissed padding away from where he stood. He stopped to listen to every step he took incase a predator tried to kill him in the darkness of the full moon.
A sound made him flinch and turn to the left. While he looked over there something the same size as he was jumped him. No wait there was more then just one of them there was two of them.