Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Fury - The Vengeful Spirits ❯ Chapter Fifteen - Counter-Moves ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All characters are the property of SNK/Playmore. I don't own them, the video games or the anime. “Porch” is written by Eddie Vedder, and is copyright Epic Records. I'm posting this fic for free, and make no money off of it.

Chapter Fifteen – Counter-Moves

 

Jin Chonrei stood over the body of his brother, arms raised in a defensive stance against the half-dozen men still surrounding them. His coal-black eyes flicked briefly down to Chonshu, who lay face-down in the dirt, his scalp matted with dark blood from where the bottle had shattered against his skull. Chonshu was bleeding from a dozen other wounds as well, and although Chonrei could still see the tell-tale signs of his twin's chest rising and falling with labored breaths, he knew he needed to get Chonshu help.

But the chances of that were slim. Chonrei himself was bleeding rather profusely from a wound in his shoulder. His sleeve was torn, and the dark-haired boy could see the blood trickling steadily down his arm to drip onto the dry, dusty ground.

The attack came suddenly, from three different directions. Chonrei ducked the knife swing from the man in front of him, countered by slamming his palm into his assailant's groin. The man screamed shrilly, and fell to the ground, doubled up like a jackknife.

Chonrei then turned to face the other two, and though he was quick enough to stop one of their knives from plunging into his heart, Chonrei still sliced open the palm of his right hand as he swatted the weapon away. He ignored the stinging pain, and followed up immediately with a kick that his older attacker dodged. The third attacker took advantage of that to slip forward and ram his knife into Chonrei's belly.

A fiery pain unlike anything the dark-haired boy had ever felt before lanced up and down through his whole being. The man pulled his switchblade loose, and Chonrei collapsed to his knees alongside his brother, putting both hands over the wound in an effort to staunch the flow of blood. His assailants then put their knives away, and spent the next several minutes working the boy over with their fists and feet. Finally, Chonrei was sprawled on the ground alongside Chonshu, an even bloodier mess than his brother.

“I'd say that's enough,” one of the thugs said to his associates, speaking in Mandarin. “They're as good as dead at this point.”

“Right,” another one said with a nod, and spit on the two brothers. “Maybe in their next life, they'll know better than to steal food from an establishment that pays tribute to the Triad.”

“Maggots,” another thug said, and kicked their bodies contemptuously. The gang then stalked off, leaving the two brothers to bleed to death.

Chonrei was on his back, both hands still trying to cover his belly wound. As he felt the life slipping from him, he suddenly saw a wisp of brilliant white light descending towards him. At first, he thought he was dying, heading towards that light that some people who came close to death had claimed to see. But the wisp seemed to be hovering overhead instead of moving closer. And it was being joined by several others, each floating distinct and separate from its counterparts.

When there was a small swarm of them, the wisps of light finally descended upon Chonrei and Chonshu, and to the dark-haired boy, it felt like they were entering him and his brother, not merely passing through them. But becoming a part of them.

It is not your time yet, spoke a voice inside of Chonrei's mind. You and your brother are the descendants of legends, and you are destined for something far greater than this ignoble end.

Descendants of legends? Chonrei asked the voice silently. What do you mean?

You shall see, said the voice. But first... this is going to hurt a lot. But it is less painful than the alternative. Try to hold still.

Chonrei's vision suddenly turned red as a pain even greater than the knife wound he'd received shook him to his very core...

Jin Chonrei's eyes opened slowly, and he sat up on his cot. For a moment, he sat there, running his fingers across the scars on his torso, then he looked up and saw that Chonshu was already awake.

“You were talking in your sleep,” said the brown-haired teen. “Did you have that dream again?”

Chonrei gave a grim nod. “I seem to be having it more often, of late.”

“As am I,” said Chonshu. He looked like he had other concerns, but he simply shook his head and asked: “Is the plan still the same as yesterday?”

“It is,” said Chonrei. “We follow the Lone Wolf and his friends, and hope that they lead us to Howard.”

Chonshu rose from his cot, and went over to the sink to perform his morning ablutions. “Eventually, they will realize they are being followed.”

“Probably,” Chonrei agreed. “But we shall cross that bridge when we come to it.”

The coupe pulled off the main road into a parking lot that had obviously seen better days. The painted white lines to denote parking spaces were almost completely faded, and every inch of the sun-baked asphalt surface was marred by cracks that crisscrossed the entire length of the lot. Here and there, some weeds could be seen growing upwards through those cracks.

The car came to a stop, and it was apparent that the driver was not even trying to park inside the lines of a space. Not that it mattered, as the place was obviously deserted. A few seconds later, the driver's side door opened, and Joe Higashi emerged. He pulled his sunglasses off and slipped them into a pocket on his cargo pants as he glanced around the lot, looking unimpressed. “Yeah, if I were a crime-lord, I'd definitely be hiding here,” he remarked sarcastically.

The other doors on the car opened, and Terry Bogard emerged from the front passenger seat, while Andy Bogard and Mai Shiranui got out of the back. A few moments later, a familiar red motorcycle pulled up alongside the car. Mary Ryan put the bike's kickstand down, and then took off her helmet.

After waking up at dawn, Terry and his friends had rented a car to make getting around easier as they followed up on Mary's leads. Terry had acquired a new bike since losing his first one in Germany while searching for the Armor of Mars, but it was far too small for four people. Mary had chosen to follow them on her own bike, saying there was no way in hell she was going to be stuck in a back seat with Mai and her boyfriend.

They were just past the city limits of South Town, at the address that Mary's informant had given her. Aside from the neglected parking lot, the only other thing of note was the even more dilapidated building that loomed in front of them. The outer walls appeared to be corrugated iron which was starting to show patches of rust. It looked like it had been abandoned for some time.

Mary stepped off the bike and walked over to the other four, though her green eyes continued to scan their surroundings. She hadn't heard Joe's remark, but she could tell by the look on his face, as well as the looks the others wore, that they were probably questioning her informant.

“Shall we?” Mary asked the four of them, and started across the sun-faded asphalt towards the building, her boots crunching on the weeds and gravel.

“What do you think?” Andy asked his brother in a low voice.

“I think it's a dead end,” said Terry. “But we should probably check it out anyway.” He then started after Mary, double-timing his pace in order to catch up with her. After glancing at one another for a moment, Andy, Mai and Joe began walking towards the building as well.

There appeared to be only one entrance, a large pair of double doors with a chain wrapped around their handles, held in place with a padlock. The chain itself was extremely rusted, and broke rather easily with a single, chi-enhanced blow from Terry's fist. Once they were inside, Mary opened the power box that rested in the wall by the door and flicked the switches. Incredibly, the lights overhead came on.

The inside of the building turned out to be just as shoddy as the outside, if not more. It was empty, save for the garbage piled in the corners (no doubt left by vagrants who had squatted here, judging by the smell that hung in the air), and also an old desk in the center of the room with about an inch of dust on its surface.

“God, it stinks in here,” Mai remarked, trying not to gag.

“How well do you know this informant of yours?” Terry asked the detective.

“That's irrelevant,” Mary said with a frown. “The only thing that matters is that I have a good working relationship with him. Typically, he gives me something, and I use what he gives me to find more information. So I wasn't expecting him to know exactly where Geese Howard was. But I think this is a good start.”

“Clearly, we have very different opinions of what's good,” said Joe.

Mary blew out an exasperated breath. “Use your brain, Higashi. Did you happen to notice that the lights work? This place is a dump, but someone is still paying utilities for it. Most likely, the name on the lease for this warehouse is a shell corporation.”

“So it's owned by someone who wants to be anonymous?” Andy asked her.

“Exactly,” said Mary.

“You seem to have the most experience here, Mary,” Terry told her. “So what do we do now?”

Mary nodded to the old desk that sat rather conspicuously on the grimy concrete flooring in front of them. “Search the desk. Maybe we can find something in there that tells us who owns this building.”

“Assuming squatters haven't already used what's in there as toilet paper,” quipped Joe. The other four ignored him and made their way over to the desk.

The drawers were locked, but Mai managed to prise them open with her fan. They didn't find many documents inside, only some business receipts that had the name TOP TIER PACKAGING listed on them, along with the address for the building.

Mary slipped one of the receipts in the pocket of her jacket, and started towards the door. “It's unlikely we'll find anything else here,” she told the others. “But now we have a new lead.”

Once they were back outside, Terry asked her what the game plan was.

“I'll head down to the station, and see if I can find anything in the records archives connected to this name and address,” Mary told him.

Terry nodded at her. “Do you need any of us to come along?”

“Nah.” Mary climbed onto her bike and slipped her helmet back on. “I'm technically not supposed to be there, and one person can sneak around easier than five. I'll meet up with you guys later.”

“Okay.” Terry was about to tell her to be careful, but then thought better of it. Mary started up her bike, did a small donut, and then raced off, the rear tire kicking up a cloud of sand in her wake.

Terry's blue eyes lingered on the road until Mary had faded from sight. The other three kept silent. Finally, Andy asked: “So, where to now?”

Terry turned towards the car, opened the door. “Now, we head back to base camp... and we wait.”

South Town Commerce Plaza

Billy Kane knocked on the office door, and a moment later, heard Geese Howard's voice on the other end, telling him to enter. Billy opened the door, and found his boss standing behind the desk wearing a blood-red hakama with no shirt. Geese had just finished his exercises, and was dabbing at the sweat on his face and neck with a towel.

When Geese saw Billy, he draped the towel over his shoulder and nodded at his subordinate. “Report,” he said simply.

“The boys at R and D just sent word,” Billy said. “The translation for the mantra of summoning will be finished by tonight.”

A cold smile crept across Geese Howard's face. “Very good. Is Mr. Ripper with you?”

“He's here. He and the inspector finished their little errand.”

The smile grew wider, and colder still. “Excellent. I have a task for the both of you.”

After Billy had been given his orders and left to tell Ripper, Geese Howard picked up a small radio sitting next to his phone and switched it on. “Mr. Hopper?”

A bust of static on the other end. Then: “Sir?”

“It will soon be time to move on that little opportunity you discovered. Keep this channel open.”

“Yes, sir,” Hopper said.

Geese placed the radio down, then picked the phone up and started to dial.

The line rang twice. Then there was a click and he heard the man on the other end say: “South Town Police Department, this is Bowers.”

“Inspector,” Geese growled, the smile fading from his face. “I trust that Mr. Ripper was able to help you find what you needed. And I also trust that it is something we can use. Your life depends on it.”

There was a moment of silence on the other end, and what sounded like a gulp. Then, the inspector slowly said: “Don't worry, sir. We can use it.”

“You can arrange a trap for Detective Ryan, then?”

The voice at the other end suddenly became a lot more smug. “It will be my pleasure, sir.”

“Good. We're moving on this tonight. Stay close to your phone.” Geese hung up, made his way over to the bar, and poured himself a tall glass of mineral water. “All the pieces are moving into place,” he said as he crossed the office with his drink to gaze out the window.

South Town Police Department - 37th Precinct

Mary Ryan entered the building through the west side instead of the east side, which was as far from her office and Inspector Bowers's office as she could manage. She had walked to the precinct after parking her bike six blocks away. After all, it would be best if few people as possible were alerted to her presence.

The cops that she passed in the hallways didn't seem surprised to see her, but she still walked with confidence, striding down the corridor like she belonged there. Unfortunately, she saw a familiar face when she rounded the corner. “Ryan!” Sergeant Hudson said, his brow raised in surprise. “I thought Bowers suspended you.”

“You thought right,” Mary told him with a tiny smirk. “Thing is, I just tore my apartment up looking for my TV remote, and it's disappeared. I think maybe I left it in my office.”

Hudson's brow was still raised, but was now crinkled in confusion. “What would it be doing there?”

Mary shrugged. “Maybe because I stuck it in my pocket one day before leaving for work, and then I never noticed it was gone, because I've been so busy since the mayor's proclamation I haven't had time to watch TV.”

The lines in Hudson's brow slowly vanished, and then he nodded. “Well, good luck finding it.”

“Thanks. Tell Trish I said hi.” Mary then continued up the hallway, leaving a confused Hudson standing there staring after her, as it was not like the detective to wish anyone well.

She was almost at records when she passed an officer with a large purple bruise around his left eye, whom she recognized as the man that had been tailing her the other night. “Good to see you again, Crenshaw,” she said with a nod. “I'd tell you to put a steak on that, but it would be a crime to waste a good cut of beef on your ugly mug.”

Crenshaw ignored her jibe, and simply said: “Aren't you suspended, Ryan?”

“Yeah,” said Mary. “And I just tore up my apartment looking for my favorite novel, and I can't seem to find it. I think I left it in my office. By the way, who did you tell them did that to you?”

Crenshaw's face turned beet red, and he finally growled: “I told them I never saw the attacker's face, but it was probably someone in town for the tournament, looking for practice.”

“Hm. Surprisingly creative. Well, see ya.” She then continued up the hallway before Crenshaw could say anything else.

Eventually, the blond woman came to a door with the word RECORDS in black letters on the frosted glass pane above the knob. After casting a quick glance around to make sure no one else was watching, Mary opened the door just wide enough to get through and slipped inside, shutting the door silently behind her.

The lights were off, and instead of drawing attention to herself by turning them on, Mary pulled a cigarette lighter from the pocket of her jacket and flicked it on. She made her way down a seemingly endless aisle of filing cabinets until she came to the center of the room, where there stood a desk housing a computer. Mary turned the lighter off and cast a quick glance in all directions, then sat down at the desk, booted up the computer, and pulled the receipt from her pocket.

“Okay, computer,” she whispered to herself. “Let's see if you have anything juicy on Top Tier Packaging...”

Several hours later...

 

The Pao Pao Cafe

It was close to dusk, and Mary still hadn't come back from her errand. So Terry, Andy, Joe, and Mai had decided to go out and eat. They had found out, to their surprise and delight, that Richard Meyer's place was less than five minutes away from the hotel.

Terry Bogard glanced around the dimly lit cafe, which seemed much busier than it had been the last time he was here. Almost every table was full now, and also, it looked like Richard had finally fixed the jukebox, which was playing some different songs.

From his place behind the bar, Richard Meyer spotted them and quickly made his way over to their table. “Glad you all could come,” he said as he shook hands with Terry, Andy, and Joe. When he came to Mai, his hand wavered for a moment. “I apologize, miss. I saw you with Andy that night at Duck's club, but I didn't get your name.”

Mai smiled, and held out her hand, which Richard shook. “Mai Shiranui,” she said. “I'm Andy's girlfriend. It's nice to finally meet you. Andy's told me a lot about this place.”

“Only good things, I hope,” Richard said with a chuckle. Then he grew more serious for a moment. “I am glad to see the four of you are all right. I heard what happened at the tournament yesterday.”

Terry nodded grimly. After a moment, Andy said: “I'm surprised we didn't see you there, Richard.”

“Well, I've been busy,” the bearded man explained. “Ever since the mayor announced the tournament, business has picked up a lot, what with all the fighters flocking to South Town. I could finally afford a new jukebox, as I'm sure you've heard. And I've also been able to hire some help.” He turned his head back towards the bar and shouted: “Hey, Bob!”

From behind the bar, a cheerful-looking dark skinned man with dreadlocks, who appeared to be about nineteen or twenty, and who was also dressed the same as Richard, in a white button-down shirt, bow tie, black slacks, and dark purple apron, bowed his head slightly. “Yes, maestre?” He called back.

Richard motioned to him with his hand. “Come on over! I want you to meet some friends of mine.”

The youth made his way over to their table, and stepped up alongside Richard, who clapped his hand on the boy's shoulder. “Bob Wilson, I'd like you to meet Terry and Andy Bogard.”

The way Bob's mouth came open, it was obvious he knew of their reputation. “It's an honor to meet you,” he said as he shook both their hands.

After Richard had also introduced Bob to Joe and Mai, Terry pointed out: “Richard, Bob called you 'maestre' a minute ago. Does that mean...?”

Richard nodded. “That's another reason I was too busy to enter the tournament this year,” he explained. “I've taken Bob on as a student. He's a great dancer, has been ever since he was a kid, and he's blended it well with his study of Capoeira. He shows a lot of promise.”

“You're too kind, maestre,” Bob said with a nervous laugh.

“No, I'm not,” said Richard. “I only give credit where it's due. If you keep to your studies the way you have been so far, you'll probably give the Bogards a run for their money at the next tournament.”

Despite his mood, Terry couldn't help but grin. “I'll look forward to that,” he said.

“Bob is also a pretty good cook,” Richard went on. “He's added some new items to the menu that are selling really well. But I'll let him go over that with you. I need to get back behind the bar before people start stealing drinks. Take good care of my friends, will you, Bob?”

“Of course, maestre,” Bob said with a nod. “Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.”

Richard nodded politely to them, and then turned and started making his way back towards the bar.

Terry glanced over the entrees on his menu, and then something caught his eye. He turned the menu towards Bob, and pointed at an entree called BURN KNUCKLE. “Bob... is this named after me?” He asked.

The expression on Bob's face as he spoke suggested that when the cheerful man woke up this morning, he never imagined he'd be talking with Terry Bogard. “Yes, Mr. Bogard, sir,” he said. “I hope you don't mind. I'm a huge admirer of the Lone Wolf.”

Terry laughed. “Please, call me Terry. And it's okay. Honestly, I think having food named after me is way more flattering than something like a statue. What's on it?”

“Well,” said Bob. “It's an eight ounce grilled burger, topped with American cheese, bacon, diced jalapenos, a slice of pineapple, and a spicy relish which is my own secret recipe.”

“That actually sounds pretty good,” said Terry. “I think I'll try one. Medium well, please, with a glass of Budweiser.”

“Good choice, Terry!” Bob said as he jotted it down on his pad. Then, he turned to Mai. “And for you, ma'am?”

Mai couldn't help but laugh. People had told her before that she had a cheerfulness that seemed to be infectious, rubbing off on everyone around her. Bob Wilson seemed to have this quality as well. “Please, Bob, call me Mai,” she said. “'Ma'am' makes me sound old. And it's probably too much to hope that you have sake here.”

“Actually,” said Bob. “Most of our customers are fighters who come from all over the world, so my maestre tries to cater to all sorts of tastes. I think I saw a bottle of plum sake chilling behind the bar.”

Mai's eyes lit up. “This just became my new favorite place in South Town. I'll have a glass of that, and the seafood stir fry, please.”

Andy then ordered a burger, as well, while Joe ordered an alligator tail sandwich. As they waited for the food, Mai was being her usual self around Andy, while Joe kept making wisecracks about how gross the two of them were being. Terry was uncharacteristically quiet, and instead kept his gaze fixed on the front door of the cafe. Even after their food was brought out, Terry did not pay full attention to his plate, as he normally would have.

He was halfway through his burger (which he thought was excellent) when Andy asked him what was wrong, even though the younger Bogard already knew the answer. “I feel like Mary should have been here by now,” Terry said.

At the mention of the detective, Mai and Joe ceased their usual banter. “She knew we were gonna be here, right?” Joe asked him.

“Yeah,” said Terry. “I slipped a note under the door of her room. But it's still been about eight hours since she left us at that parking lot.”

“She may have just had a lot of records to look through,” Mai said, and then sipped her drink.

“She fought pretty well with us yesterday, Terry,” Joe added. “I think she can take care of herself.”

“Right,” Terry said with a nod as he turned back to his food, but his tone of voice suggested to the other three he was not convinced. He hadn't told any of them about his dream, and right now, he didn't see the need to.

Thankfully, Mary entered the cafe a few minutes later, and made her way over to their table. “Meyer got a new jukebox,” was the first thing she said when she reached them. “It's still not playing anything good, though.” Her green eyes flicked briefly over to the box against the wall, and she frowned at the song that was coming out of it:

 

Hear my name, take a good look
This could be the day
Hold my hand, lie beside me
I just need to say
I could not take, oh just one day
I know when I would not ever touch you
Hold you, feel you in my arms

Never again

 

“I kind of like it,” said Mai. “The lyrics are depressing, but the guitar is pretty good. Do you know who this is, Andy?”

“No,” said Andy. “You know that I prefer silence to music.”

“So, anyway,” said Terry. “Did you want to pull up a seat and join us? We'd be interested to know if you have any new leads.”

Mary shook her head. “Sadly, I can't stay. The front desk at the hotel told me I'd gotten a call while I was out. It was one of my informant's numbers. I called him back and he wants to see me again, as soon as possible. Sounded pretty urgent. So I'll have to share my leads when I get back.”

Though Mary's expression was neutral, Terry got the sense that her mind was running on all cylinders. “Is everything okay?” Terry asked.

“I think so,” said Mary. “It's unusual for him to work so fast. I mean, he's done it before, but...”

“Need us to come with you?”

“You can't,” Mary explained. “I have an arrangement with this guy. He won't speak to me if I don't come alone.” She brought her finger to her lips and stood there for a moment, as if deep in thought. Then she took off her green jacket and held it out to Terry. “Here, Terry, look after this for me, will you?”

Terry stared at her for a moment, but the expression on Mary's face was dead serious. So finally, he accepted the jacket and draped it carefully across his lap. “You're sure everything is okay?” He asked her again.

Mary nodded. “Yeah. Don't worry, I'll pick it up from you later. This shouldn't take long. I'll call when I'm back at the hotel.” With that, she turned and left the cafe.

A few minutes later, Terry ate the last few bites of his burger, then dropped some money on the table and said he was going back to his room to wait to hear from Mary. He then got up and left, carrying her jacket with him.

Not long after that, Mai finished her drink, and said to her boyfriend: “Well, Andy, I don't know about you, but I'm bushed. Shall we turn in?”

“Um, no, Mai, I'm really not...” He started to say, and then he saw her wink at him, so instead he stopped talking and gave her a knowing nod. “Um, I mean, yeah. We probably should.”

Mai leaned towards her boyfriend then, whispered in his ear: "Just give me some time to get ready. Wait fifteen minutes, then meet me in our room." Mai flicked her tongue across the bottom of Andy's earlobe, and then left the table.

"Think she'll be okay?" Joe asked him.

"I think so," said Andy, his gaze lingering on Mai as she stepped out onto the sidewalk. "The hotel is less than five minutes away, and she can take care of herself."

Joe nodded, tilted his beer glass in the direction of Andy. "Good man," he said. As their glasses clinked together, the kick-boxer made a face when he saw the contents of Andy's glass. "Do you at least have time for a real drink before you have to go?"

"No thanks," said Andy. "I'll just stick with water."

"Man, you're still such a square even after losing your cherry," Joe said with a laugh, then he drained the rest of his beer, and motioned to Richard Meyer for another.

Andy rolled his eyes. Fifteen minutes could not be up fast enough.

The street outside was almost deserted, but at first Mai did not notice as the black car pulled up alongside her on the curb, and slowed down to match her walking speed. She was too busy thinking about what she wanted to wear for her man. She had amassed a whole drawer full of lingerie since she and Andy had started dating, and had tossed a few lacy items in her bags before they had left the dojo, even though she had not been expecting her and Andy to finally consummate their relationship on this trip. Now she was pleasantly surprised that she could actually begin wearing the items she had been collecting.

Mai finally noticed the car when she heard the metallic whir of the power window being lowered. "Offer you a ride, little lady?" She heard a voice ask, nonchalant enough to border on sleazy.

"No thanks," Mai said without a glance in his direction. "I'm not walking far."

"But a pretty young thing like you could still get hurt at this hour," the voice persisted. "Even if you're not going far."

Now Mai stopped and turned to face the car that was following her. "Look, jackass, you might want to think twice before you proposition a ninja!" She snapped. Then she saw the figure sitting in the driver's seat through the car's open window, and gasped.

"Wait, I know you!" She said to the dark haired man in sunglasses. "Andy told me about you!" She broke into a run, though the car did not move to try and catch up to her, and she quickly ducked down the first alley she saw. If memory served, the hotel should be in sight after she got to the other side of this alleyway.

As her brown eyes grew accustomed to the dimness, however, she saw a lean, yet well-muscled man in a familiar sleeveless shirt and faded jeans standing impassively about a hundred yards in front of her, both hands gripping a staff.

"Goin' somewhere, cutie?" Billy Kane asked her with a wicked grin.

"As a matter of fact, I am," answered Mai, unflinching. "I have plans with my boyfriend, so I don't really have time to hurt you again."

"Aw, don't be like that, love! I thought we had somethin' the other day."

Mai snorted. "Please! I only flirted with you because Andy and I were fighting. We've made up since then, and he's told me who you are and what you did, so now I think you're a big jerk. Get out of my way!"

"Sorry, love," said Billy as he started towards her, expertly moving his staff back and forth from one hand to the other. "But the boss gave orders."

Mai rolled her eyes. "Okay, then, if it's another ass-kicking you want..." She then whipped off her dress, and in a blur of fabric, was suddenly wearing her kunoichi uniform. "...I'm happy to give it to you!"

Billy started to twirl his staff over his head. "Now I'll pay you back fer that beauty mark you gave me."

"Ka-chou-sen!" Mai launched two fans at Billy, who swatted them aside with his staff. As he was striking them, she took the opportunity to flip over his head, and after landing on the other side of him she delivered a kick to the center of his back. Billy fell forward but regained his feet with a somersault, then turned to face her. He lunged with his staff, but Mai had already pulled another fan out of her gi, and started using it to parry Billy's thrusts. Though he was not landing any blows, Mai saw that his attack was driving her back towards a wall. She did a quick back flip, planted her feet against the wall, and launched at Billy elbow first with her Deadly Ninja Bee attack. Billy sidestepped it, but as Mai hit the ground, she tripped him with a leg sweep, knocking him on his backside.

Billy made a long arm with his staff and tried to trip Mai, and the ninja girl dodged backwards, which gave Billy a chance to regain his feet. He tried again with his staff, thrusting high and then low, but Mai knocked both attacks to the side with her fan.

His attacks became more aggressive then, sweeping his staff rapidly high and low as he attempted to once more drive her back against the wall. Mai edged backwards until she could edge no further, then leaped straight up and flipped towards the ground in the direction of Billy's head. "Houou no mai!" She shouted as psychokinetic energy surrounded her in a bright pinwheel of flames. The attack knocked Billy into the wall he'd been trying to back Mai into, and the buxom ninja girl finished her move by landing gracefully on the concrete facing her opponent.

"Are we done here?" Mai asked him. "Because I have something I need to get ready for, and now I'm running late."

Billy got to his feet and swung wildly with his staff, the weapon catching Mai in her side and sending her sprawling. She did a quick handspring to her feet, but her opponent was still pressing the attack, causing her to do a series of leaps backwards to avoid him. She then jumped towards him with her fan raised. Billy launched himself skyward as well, his staff becoming enveloped in psychokinetic fire. As the two met in midair, he swung out with his staff just as Mai swung downwards with her fan. The flaming tip of Billy's staff snapped Mai's weapon in half, and the ninja girl needed to twist her body in midair to avoid a deadly strike, but the staff still grazed her. Mai hit the ground rolling, and in the middle of her roll she launched another fan in Billy's direction, hitting him in the back as he was landing.

They both rose a little unsteadily to their feet, and Billy turned to face Mai. He flashed the kunoichi a wicked grin as he twirled his staff expertly. "Gettin' nervous, pet?" He asked Mai.

Mai laughed, pulled out a new fan, opened it and began to flap it daintily in front of her face, smirking at Billy from behind its folds. "Please, if anyone is cracking, it's you. I'm just getting warmed up."

Billy stopped twirling his staff then, and took a step back. "Yer about to get a lot warmer!"

Mai raised an eyebrow in confusion, but before she could ask what he meant, she felt something pinch her lower back through the fabric of her gi. A second later, her entire body was wracked by searing pain as a strong electrical current jolted through her. She whipped blindly behind her with her fan, felt it catch on something that dangled from her outfit. She turned, and saw the probes of a taser clatter onto the floor of the alleyway.

Her gaze followed the path of the probe's wires, and through her rapidly blurring vision, she saw a figure standing in a dark corner of the alleyway. Her limbs felt like they were full of cement, but still she tried to move towards the figure. Before she could take a single step, however, she heard a pop, saw a second taser probe fly from the shadows and latch on to one of the straps of fabric on the front of her gi. Mai screamed in pain as another powerful current surged through the probe, jolting her down to her core. The fan slipped from her fingers and clattered to the ground. She sank to her knees, head spinning, her world starting to go dark.

"Did you just... taser me in the tit?" She managed to ask the shadow. "You... asshole..." She then pitched forward to the cold, damp concrete, suddenly finding that not just her limbs, but her entire body felt very heavy. Sorry, Andy, she managed to think before everything went black and silent.

The dark haired man who had been wielding the taser emerged from the shadows, crouched by Mai Shiranui's unconscious body, and after checking her neck and finding a pulse, he yanked the taser probe loose from Mai's gi.

Billy Kane gave the man an annoyed look. "Took ya long enough, Ripper," he growled.

Ripper shrugged. "Hey, you two looked like you were having fun. Didn't want to spoil it."

Billy slung his staff over one shoulder, then bent down, scooped up Mai's limp form, and slung her over his other shoulder. "Just get the car before someone sees us."

Ripper nodded, and started back the way he had come in. A few minutes later, Billy and Ripper were driving back towards home base with Mai Shiranui stashed in their trunk, her wrists, ankles and mouth bound with duct tape.

Mary Ryan cast a quick look around as she parked her motorcycle outside the abandoned warehouse. She was deep in South Town's industrial district, in an area that had been largely unused even back during Geese Howard's glory days. She saw nothing except the ghosts of old buildings and machinery. There were no other cars parked outside, but it was not uncommon for her informant to travel on foot.

She removed her helmet and placed it between the bike's handlebars, then she got off, popped open the storage bin hooked to the rear of the bike's seat, and pulled out a small brown bag containing a Cuban sandwich wrapped in foil, and some fried plantains.

She entered the warehouse with the bag, and after her eyes adjusted to the dimness, she spotted a man standing at the far end of the room, partially illuminated by the city lights filtering in through the high, latticed window on the wall behind him. He was about fifty, completely bald, dressed in jeans and a brown leather jacket.

Mary nodded at the man, and started towards him, the footfalls of her boots on the concrete echoing in the warehouse's vast empty space. “I didn't expect to hear from you again so soon, Nate,” she said as she got close to him. “You're usually a bit more meticulous with your work.” She shrugged, and then held the bag of food out to him. “Well, anyway, I brought you your usual. So what have you got for me?”

Mary was close enough now to see that Nate was visibly sweating. He made no movement to come forward and take the bag. “I'm sorry, Ryan,” he said. “I had to set this up. I don't know how, but they found out where my daughter was living. They threatened to send someone to her house.”

Mary felt a sudden chill in the pit of her stomach. “What are you talking about, Nate? Your personal info is locked in my computer. Those files are double encrypted. I change the passwords every other week. No one should know anything about you.”

The man gave a nervous chuckle. “I know, I don't blame you. You're careful, Ryan. You always did know how to play the game.” He touched two fingers to his brow in a salute. “That's why it's been a pleasure working with you. I had to keep my daughter safe. You understand, right?”

She started to walk towards him again. “Nate, you're scaring me now. Who found out about you? Was it...?”

She was interrupted by a loud popping sound that came from the scaffolding overhead. A split second later, the back of her informant's skull seemed to explode outwards in a shower of bone fragments, blood, and gray matter. He dropped to his knees and slumped dead to the concrete.

Mary dropped the bag and spun on the balls of her feet, hands raised in a defensive stance. As she finished her turn, she saw a silhouette standing on the scaffolding above the door she'd come in, which was the only way in or out of the warehouse. The figure seemed to be pointing a rifle at her, and Mary's eyes flicked briefly downwards, noticing the small red dot that was inching up her belly.

There was nothing in the warehouse she could hide behind, and if this sniper was talented (and he appeared to be), Mary knew she wouldn't reach the door in time. Please, she thought as the red dot moved up her crop top now, closer to her head. I can't die like this. I should go down fighting, like my father and Butch.

“Stand down, Mr. Hopper,” a deep voice growled suddenly. The red dot, which was now halfway up Mary's neck, suddenly faded from view. The shadowy figure shouldered the weapon and stood there, as if waiting for additional orders.

Mary's eyes ventured from the man on the scaffolding to the warehouse's doorway, which was now open. Another shadow was standing in it, this one a bit more well-built than the man overhead. This new figure started towards her, pausing only to bark another command. “Wait outside, Mr. Hopper. Make sure she doesn't leave this building.”

“Yes, sir,” said the man on the scaffolding, and started towards a nearby ladder. Mary ignored him, as he seemed obedient, and turned her attention to Hopper's master, who was walking towards her again.

He was close enough now for Mary to see that he was a blond man in his early forties, dressed in a red hakama and white tunic. The tunic was just form-fitting enough for Mary to see that the man appeared to be in better shape then most people half his age. But what caught her attention was the scar that ran down his left eye.

“Geese Howard, I presume?” Quipped Mary, having calmed herself enough to put her poker face back on.

“In the flesh,” said the former king of South Town. “You'll spare yourself quite a bit of agony if you come along quietly.”

Mary thought back over the contents of her files, tried to gauge the ratio of what his chi attacks might be now. She did her best not to think about their effects on a human body. She needed to steel herself. Everyone had a weakness, and Geese was no different. If she paid attention, she would find it.

She smirked as she pulled her fingerless gloves from the back pocket of her jeans and slipped them on. “Sorry, I have no intention of making this easy. I've been looking forward to meeting you for a while.”

Geese paused in his advance then, the brow above his scarred eye raised in curiosity. “Oh? There are many people who have vendettas against me. I've made it a point to memorize their names and faces, but you... you don't look familiar.”

“Do you remember Tatsumi Suoh, the Kobojutsu master?” Mary asked him.

Geese rubbed his chin for a moment, looking introspective. “Ah, yes,” he said after a moment. “I haven't thought about him since I was a boy.”

“You're looking at his granddaughter,” Mary said, her green eyes narrowing as she assumed her fighting stance. “You stole secrets of the Suoh clan from him, and I aim to get them back, even if I have to beat their location out of you.”

Geese smirked as he took up his own stance. “Hardly appropriate behavior from an officer of the law.”

“I'm still on suspension,” said Mary. “Besides, I read all your files. Your official record with the department still lists you as deceased. You can't commit assault and battery against a man who's already dead.”

Geese Howard laughed then, an icy laugh that actually shook Mary a little at her core, though her green eyes remained neutral. “Oh, I can see why Terry Bogard likes you. You have more spirit than his last girlfriend. That's something I'll need to break before I kill you. But I do wish to set the record straight that I stole nothing from Tatsumi. Your grandfather was a fool who mistakenly told me that my ambition was a weakness. When he would not give me what I came to him for, I simply took it instead. Now I'll show you, just as I showed him, what real power is.”

“Well, I have always wondered how I'd do against the best,” Mary fired back. “But since they're not here, I'll settle for kicking your ass. Let's dance!”

For a long while, the two of them stood there, staring each other down, each trying to silently taunt the other into making the first move. It was Geese Howard who finally jumped into the air and came at Mary feet-first in a flying kick. Mary braced herself against the concrete, then grabbed Geese's ankles just as his feet connected, and threw him over her shoulder. Geese landed on his feet several yards away.

Mary pressed the attack, sprinting at her opponent and then dropping into a sliding kick as she got near, one foot thrust towards him. Geese waited until the last minute, then split the air between the two of them with his Shippu Ken. The blue chi fireball angled downward, striking Mary and sending her flying back. She landed on her feet, and gave herself a quick slap in the face to shake off the effects of that attack. Then she raised her arms defensively and started to circle the older man.

Geese came at her again, this time charging forward and swinging his fist upward in a Reppu Ken. Mary had read about this move, however, and dodged it with a quick hop back to her right, then she lunged forward and brought her foot into Geese's chest. He tried to counter with his knee, but Mary quickly positioned herself to the side of him, grabbed his waist, then lifted him overhead and slammed him against the concrete in a suplex. She followed this by leaping into the air, and trying to strike Geese with her knee while he was prone, but Geese rolled out of the way. Mary's knee struck the concrete instead, leaving a small crater.

Geese regained his feet and smiled coldly at the blond woman. “You realize that I'm only toying with you, detective,” he said with a laugh. “My power has grown since my defeat at the hands of Terry Bogard.”

Mary got up as well and resumed her stance. “Talk is cheap,” she said.

“How right you are,” Geese said. He took a deep breath, as if he were focusing, and then with a cry of “Deadly Rave!” He charged at Mary with his body enveloped in a wreath of chi fire. He swung both high and low, fists moving so fast they were like a blur. Mary managed to deflect the first two strikes, but the third one got through, hitting her in the stomach. That one hit was all it took to throw her off. Mary then attempted to move backwards to try and lessen the force of Geese's attack, but his fists and feet kept pounding her body. Geese finished by thrusting both hands forward, palms first.

Mary gritted her teeth as a burst of chi fire erupted from Geese's hands and coursed through her body. She then took a few small jumps backwards, and when she came to a stop, she spit blood onto the concrete. “Is that all you've got?” She asked her opponent with a defiant smirk.

Geese tried to press the attack, but Mary focused her chi, and began a series of short leaps from one foot to the other, throwing punches at Geese each time one of her feet hit the ground. After keeping up this side-to-side attack for a few moments, Mary slammed her fist into Geese's stomach in an uppercut, launching the crime-lord skyward. Mary jumped and punched him repeatedly in midair, then she pincered his lower torso between her knees and dropped back towards the ground, slamming Geese hard against the concrete underneath her.

She leaped off Geese and quickly turned to face him. He was on his feet again, and this time, he did not look amused. “This contest is over!” He shouted. Mary then heard a crackle, saw the glow of chi materializing around his body.

Oh, shit! She thought, and then turned to run, hoping to retreat to a safe distance.

RAGING STORM!” Geese Howard's bellow filled the warehouse as a wall of energy shot up from the ground at his feet and radiated outwards. Mary had only gone a few paces when she felt the wave slam into her back. This time, Mary could not help but cry out as an intense pain unlike anything she'd ever felt seemed to rip through her very soul. The energy of Geese's attack threw her forwards to the ground, where she rolled a little before coming to a stop.

Still blinded by pain, Mary tried to regain her feet, but Geese was on her in seconds, swinging his arm upwards in an arc of blue chi energy. This time his Reppu Ken connected, and Mary was knocked backwards, not stopping until she struck the wall.

Mary slid to her knees, and was still trying to shake off that attack when she felt a powerful hand close around her neck and lift her off the ground. “I have to congratulate you, my dear,” Geese said as he held Mary over his head. “You lasted much longer than I thought you would. At the end of the day, I want you to know I did Tatsumi a favor. I put those writings to better use than he ever would have.”

Mary struggled to break free, slamming her palm against Geese's arm several times, but his grip was like iron, and she realized that if she didn't stop struggling, he might every well strangle her to death. Instead, she went limp, and then tried to speak. “Guh... Guh...” She managed to get out, but was unable to say anything more because of how tightly he grasped her throat.

The crime-lord loosened his hand slightly, enough to let Mary speak. “My... grandfather asked me to... give you a message,” Mary managed to rasp.

Geese cocked his head. “Oh? And what was that?”

“This,” Mary answered, and then spit in his face.

Geese's expression turned dark again as he wiped the spittle from his cheek using the back of his other hand. “Bitch,” he snarled at Mary through clenched teeth. “I can see that I'll also have to teach you some manners before you die.” He squeezed Mary's throat for another few seconds before spinning suddenly on his heel and then slamming her brutally against the concrete floor.

Sorry, Terry, but it looks like I won't be back for my jacket after all... she managed to think right before she went unconscious.

A few minutes later, Geese Howard emerged from the warehouse with Mary Ryan's limp body slung over his shoulder, to find Hopper standing by the car they had arrived in. “I got word from Billy and Ripper while you were in there, sir,” Hopper said as he opened the back door of the car for Geese. “They completed their own errand successfully.”

“Good,” Geese said as he shoved Mary into the back seat. Hopper quickly bound her wrists and ankles, then he got into the driver's seat. Geese got into the front passenger seat, and then the two of them were heading back towards Geese's old tower with their captive.

“So it seems the inspector is not completely useless,” Geese mused out loud as Hopper drove. “Thanks to that little meeting he arranged with Mary Ryan's informant, we will soon have Terry Bogard and his brother right where we want them...”

 

To be continued...