Fatal Fury Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Fury - The Vengeful Spirits ❯ Chapter Sixteen - The Race Is On... ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

 

All characters are the property of SNK/Playmore. I don't own them, the video games or the anime.

Chapter Sixteen – The Race Is On...

 

She should have been back by now, Terry Bogard thought to himself as he paced around his hotel room. Mary had left him at the Pao Pao about three hours ago. He did not know how far away Mary's informant was, but judging by how well she could ride her bike, she probably should have been there and back long ago.

She was not the only one missing. After Terry had first left the cafe and come back to his hotel room, Andy had knocked on his door thirty minutes later and asked Terry if he'd seen Mai. He said that Mai should have been waiting for Andy in their room. But when Andy had gotten back, the lights were off and there was no note. Now, Andy and Joe were out searching for her, while Terry had chosen to stay behind in case Mary called.

Terry's pacing was interrupted by a knock on his door. He crossed the room and opened it, saw Andy standing there along with Joe, both of them grim-faced. Andy had what looked like a bundle of cloth under one arm.

“Any sign of her?” Terry asked.

“Just this,” Andy said as he entered the room. He held out the bundle, and Terry saw that it was the dress Mai had been wearing in the cafe. “I found it in the alley across from the hotel, along with this.” Andy whipped the dress aside, and underneath, Terry saw that his brother was holding one of Mai's fans.

“Why would her dress have just been sitting there in the alley?” Terry asked.

“The most likely answer,” said Andy, “is that she took it off to change into her fighting outfit, because she got ambushed on the way back here.” Andy clenched his teeth and pounded Terry's dresser-top in annoyance. “It's my fault. I shouldn't have let her come back here alone. Not after what happened yesterday.”

“Mai is a big girl,” Joe reminded Andy. “Until we hear otherwise, we should assume she's all right.”

Andy gave Joe a small smile, and a nod. “Yeah,” he said. Then he asked Terry: “Have you heard from Mary?”

Terry was about to answer when suddenly, the phone by his bed started to ring. Terry sat down on the bed, next to the night stand, and picked up the receiver. “Mary?” He spoke into it.

“No,” said a familiar voice. “But she is here. Along with your brother's lovely squeeze.”

For a moment, Terry's heart seemed to freeze in his chest. Images of Lily and Sulia dead in his arms flashed through his mind. Then the voice went on: “Your taste in women is excellent, as always, Terry Bogard. Mary is quite beautiful, and she has a lot more fire than Lily.”

Both Andy and Joe moved closer to the bed. It was obvious from Terry's pained expression who was on the other end of the line. “Are they...” Terry finally managed to ask, though he was unable to finish the sentence.

“They live,” said Geese Howard. “At least, for now.”

Terry blew a sharp breath out through his nostrils. “How do I know you haven't killed them?”

There was a pause. Then Geese said: “Very well. If you need proof, I'll let you hear their voices. But don't question me again.”

There was what sounded like a shuffle on the other end. Then, faintly, Terry could hear the voice of Mary Ryan shout: “Check the pockets, Terry!” She was then joined by Mai, who started to say rapidly in Japanese: *“Terry, Andy, we're tied up in what looks like a conference...”*

The receiver was pulled away, and then Terry heard what sounded like a loud smacking noise, after which the voices were silent.

“Please,” said Terry. “Don't hurt them any more.”

“I won't,” Geese said coldly. “If you can find them. You have twenty-four hours, starting now, to locate them. After which, I start sending their body parts to your hotel room. And don't worry. I'll start with the toes and work my way up. So that they'll be alive through as much of it as possible.”

“Where are they?” Terry asked.

He then heard another loud smack from the other end of the line. “I told you not to question me,” Geese growled. “And anyway, I'll leave that up to you to find out. It makes things more interesting that way. The clock starts when I hang up the phone. Good luck...”

“Geese...” Terry started to say, and then was a click, and a dial tone.

For a long while, Terry was silent, staring numbly at the receiver in his hand. Finally, Andy asked him: “Well?”

Terry's movements were heavy as he hung up the phone, and stared down at his lap, not looking up at Andy and Joe. “He has them,” Terry finally forced the words out. “We have twenty-four hours to find out where they're being held, or else...” His voice trailed off, but he didn't need to finish.

Terry continued to gaze down at his lap, trying not to think about his dream from the other night, and failing. Finally, he felt Joe's hand on his shoulder. “We will save them, Terry,” he said. “Both of them. Right, Andy?”

Andy forced himself to nod. “Right. We have a whole day to find them. And we're going to find them.”

The pressure finally became too much for Terry Bogard. Words began to tumble rapidly from him, in a note of panic that Andy was not used to hearing in his brother. “But... but... we have no idea where to start looking. Mary was supposed to... but then she... and now... Andy, I'm so sorry about Mai... You should never have to experience what... what I have... Oh, God...” He stared down at the carpet, fists clenching and unclenching.

Andy and Joe exchanged a concerned look. Andy was worried about Mai, but still, he had never experienced what Terry had been through, what his brother was clearly still going through. I never thought I'd have to step up and be the nii san for my nii san, Andy thought. But one of us needs to keep cool.

“Mai is her own woman,” Andy told his brother. “She chose to fight with us, and so did Mary. But that doesn't matter, because we're going to save them. Come on, bro, I want to hear you say it with me.”

Joe nodded. “Right. Did you hear that, Terry? We are going to save both of them.”

Terry did not appear to be listening. Instead, he reached over for Mary's green jacket, which had been lying on his bed, and draped it across his lap. He started numbly down at it, blue eyes shining with tears he was trying to hold back. “I've done it again,” he said softly to himself. “I've killed another woman. It's my curse, except now it's also affected Mai. It's not just my lovers anymore, now it's taking my friends.”

Andy and Joe looked at each other again, uncertain of what they should say. Terry's hand started to move gently across the fabric of Mary's jacket, and then he paused. “Check the pockets...” he murmured.

“What?” Joe and Andy asked almost at the same time.

“What I was on the phone a minute ago, when Geese let me hear their voices... Mary told me to check the pockets.” Terry plunged his hand into the pocket of Mary's jacket, and after a moment, came up with a slip of paper that had been folded many times.

Terry unfolded the paper with trembling hands, saw the words TOP TIER, POSSIBLE PARENT CORPS written at the top in Mary's handwriting. Scrawled underneath that was a lengthy list of several addresses.

Terry stood up suddenly, relief washing over him like a tidal wave. “Yes!” He shouted. “Thank you, Mary!”

“What?” Joe asked him. “What is it?”

Terry acted like he hadn't heard the question, instead kept talking to himself. “Mary left me her jacket earlier. She must have done it in case she was being set up.” He looked at his brother and his friend, saw the confusion marring their faces. He held the list out to both of them. “These are the addresses Mary must have found associated with Top Tier Packaging. We have something to go on now. One of them should give us a clue that will lead us to Mai and Mary.”

Andy reached out, put his hand on Terry's shoulder. “Say it, Terry.”

Terry put one hand on Andy's shoulder and the other on Joe's. “We're going to save them,” he said firmly. “Both of them!”

“Yes!” Shouted Joe. “Now that's the Terry I remember! So, what's our plan?”

Terry folded the list back up, slipped it into the pocket of his jeans. “Try to get at least a few hours of sleep,” he said. “You'll need it, because we're rolling out of here before sunrise!”

Geese Howard hung up the phone, and made his way over to the table in the center of the windowless conference room, which had four bamboo paper scrolls resting on its surface. The scrolls were unraveled, and at their full length they covered the entire tabletop. Over in a corner of the room, Mary Ryan and Mai Shiranui sat in metal chairs, their limbs bound to the chairs' legs and armrests by heavy rope. Their faces and arms were slightly bruised, but other than that, they were not badly hurt.

A man with shoulder length brown hair pulled into a ponytail nub, dressed in olive green cargo pants and a black T-shirt stood watch over them, though he seemed to be giving more of his attention to Mai. “You know, sweetheart,” he said, his voice practically oozing through the smirk on his lips. “I think you liked it when I frisked you for fans.”

Mai wrinkled up her nose, clearly disgusted. “Don't flatter yourself,” she told the guard. “If you're as clumsy in bed as you were when you frisked me, I wouldn't be surprised if your boyfriend was cheating on you.”

The smirk faded from his lips, which now twisted downwards into a more dangerous expression. “I think you liked it, you little slut,” he spat through clenched teeth. “Maybe you just need a reminder.” As Mai struggled in the chair, the man reached down, grabbed the fabric on the front of her gi. He was about to rip it away from her breasts when he felt something blunt and wooden rap him hard on the back of the head.

“Keep yer dick in yer pants, Yank!” Billy Kane snapped at him as he pulled his staff away. “Just 'cause we're criminals, it don't mean we're animals!”

The man took his hands away from Mai, and turned to face Billy. “I take my orders from Mr. Howard, not his maid,” he retorted.

Geese Howard looked up from the scrolls on the tabletop. “And my orders are for you to shut up and do what Billy told you, Mr. Karlson,” he said coldly. “Our guests are not to be violated. For now.”

The man in fatigues gave a nod to Geese, and then stepped away from Mai. Geese turned his attention back to the table. After several minutes went by, Mary said to him: “You're not as smart as you think you are, Howard.”

Geese looked up again, eyes narrowed into deadly slits. “I'd contain myself if I were you, detective. Unless you want another lesson in manners.”

“If it means getting another one of your love taps, I've had worse,” Mary responded. “But I wanted you to know that I left Terry a clue on where to find you.”

Geese's reaction was not what Mary had expected. Instead, he gave her a cold smile. “I truly hope so. It would be so much more satisfying if he and Andy Bogard found you within the timeframe I specified, so that they can watch their lovers die.”

“Hah!” Mai laughed. “I bet Andy, Terry, and Joe will kick your cowardly ass when they get here.”

Geese Howard's smile grew colder, with an ice that actually made Mai look away for a moment. She'd never seen such an evil look from anyone, not from any of the opponents she had faced with Andy and her friends. “You would bet wrong, my dear,” Geese Howard explained, his hand indicating the open scrolls. “My men have finished their translation of these scrolls. Once I have their spirits within me, I imagine that I will make short work not only of Terry Bogard and the rest of you, but anyone else who might stand in my way.”

Geese reached into the pocket of his hakama, pulled out several sheets of folded paper, and laid them down on the table just below the scrolls. If Mai and Mary had been able to see the writing, they'd have seen it was an old dialect of Mandarin, translated in such a way that it could be read by a modern tongue.

“You and Detective Ryan are actually very lucky, my dear,” Geese told Mai. “You will get to bear witness as I now become stronger than a God.”

“Assuming your men deciphered and translated it correctly,” Mary said. “Otherwise, you could very well destroy this building, and possibly a good chunk of South Town along with it.”

Geese placed his hands flat on the tabletop. “Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough if they were successful. Though I have a feeling they did their jobs admirably. After all, I had subordinates standing by with orders to eliminate their families if this building should suddenly vanish.” With that, he turned his gaze away from the two women and focused all his attention on the translation, reading it verbatim left to right, up and down.

Both Mai and Mary remained silent as the unraveled scrolls began to glow a faint eldritch green, neither one of them wanting to try and interrupt Geese, as both had read about the consequences that might unleash. Mary's eyes flicked over to Billy Kane, saw that he had stepped back as close to the far wall as he could get, nervously holding his staff out in front of him.

As Geese continued to read, tendrils of mist began to rise from the ancient bamboo paper on the table. The mist increased in volume, and finally began to coalesce into the apparitions of two men, dressed in the garb of Terracotta warriors. They hovered in midair for several seconds, then they seemed to break down into formless mist again.

The scrolls on the table glowed brighter as the mist surrounded Geese Howard, then seemed to enter him through his mouth and nostrils. Geese took no notice of this and continued to read the last lines. He absorbed all of the mist as he finished reading.

The glow on the table faded. Geese looked up at the two women, who noticed that the whites of his eyes now seemed to be filled with that same cold blue fire that Terry had seen in Jin Chonrei's eyes at the tournament. Also, if their eyes were not playing tricks on them, they swore that they could see another faint glow on Geese's chest, through the white fabric of his tunic. Mai and Mary briefly exchanged a nervous glance with one another.

“It is done,” said Geese Howard. “I can feel their spirits inside of me, filling me with the power I've always dreamed of, the power that has always been mine by right. A power greater than that of my father, that of my half-brother, and the Lone Wolf combined! This time, it will be different. Terry Bogard will die, but only after he watches everyone he loves die first.” Geese then turned to his subordinate. “Billy?”

For a moment, Billy Kane stood there, a blank look on his face. Then Geese said his name louder, and Billy jumped to attention. “Sir?”

“Wrap the scrolls up and move them to a secure location. Then return here and help keep an eye on our guests.”

“Yeah... right,” Billy said with an absent nod, and set about his task.

Geese then turned to the brown-haired man. “Continue to stand guard, Mr. Karlson. I warn you: do not touch them, or you will have the pleasure of being the first one I test this newfound power on.”

Karlson gulped nervously. “Y-y-yes, sir, Mr. Howard,” he finally managed to stammer out.

Geese's gaze lingered on Karlson for a moment, and then he looked at Mary and Mai, once more smiling coldly. “And as for you, I suggest you both try and get some sleep. So that you're nice and rested when it's time to die.”

With that, Geese left the room. Mai and Mary exchanged a silent look of concern, but otherwise said nothing. Finally, Mary mouthed the words stay sharp to Mai, and then turned her gaze forward again. The ninja girl nodded, and tilted her chin down towards the floor, but like Mary, her eyes continued to scan the room.

It was late afternoon by the time that Terry, Andy and Joe pulled into the last address on the list. Terry Bogard would have been lying if he said that he still had the same level of enthusiasm he'd had early this morning. In fact, the sense of unease he'd felt while talking to Geese Howard on the phone had been creeping back into him as they'd searched each address on the list, and found nothing that would lead them closer to locating Mai and Mary.

They parked in front of a large, one-story pink stucco building and got out of the car. Terry glanced around, and saw nothing else of note except a strip mall across the street.

“Everything else has been a dead end,” Joe Higashi remarked. “So we'll have to find something here.”

“Right,” Andy Bogard said with a nod. “You ready, Terry?”

“Yeah,” Terry said, and started towards the building's main entrance. Inside, they found a receptionist's desk being manned by a middle-aged woman with short red hair wearing an over-sized sweater. They also noticed a bunch of boxes around, some of them half-empty, their contents still being unloaded.

“They look like they just moved into these offices recently,” Andy said as he noticed the boxes.

Joe sniffed the air. “Yeah, this building even smells new.”

Terry started towards the desk, and Joe and Andy followed him. The receptionist looked up, and frowned when she saw the three fighters and what they were wearing. “What are you?” She asked them. “Some sort of amusing telegram? Whose birthday is it?”

Terry ignored the humor. “We were hoping to talk to your boss,” he told the woman. “Is he available?”

The receptionist indicated the hallway behind her desk. “He's down at the end of that hallway. Do you have an appointment?”

“No,” said Terry. “But it's very important that we speak to him. We're looking for our friends.”

“Maybe you should call the police, then,” said the woman. “If your friends are missing.”

“Because some of the police might be involved in their being missing,” said Joe. “Now, can we see your boss or not?”

“Not without appointment,” the receptionist said firmly, and went back to reading her magazine.

“I don't have time for this,” Terry muttered, and then started past the desk and down the hallway, ignoring the receptionist's shouts of protest. As Terry passed the doors on either side of the corridor, he looked in the open ones and saw more boxes being unloaded, just as he'd seen in the lobby.

Finally, he reached the door to what appeared to be the CEO's office, and threw it open. Inside, he saw that the spacious office was only partially set up, with a few boxes lining one wall. Behind the desk sat a nervous-looking man in a gray suit, with thick glasses and a ring of dark hair surrounding his otherwise bald head. When Terry entered, the man looked up from the spreadsheets he was poring over.

“What is the meaning of this?” He asked as he got up from his chair. “You're trespassing on private property.”

“Top Tier Packaging,” said Terry. “Have you ever heard of it?”

“Even if I had, why would I tell you?” The man asked as he started towards Terry.

“They were one of the sponsors of the King of Fighters tournament. We think they might be one of your shell corporations. Geese Howard may have been using them to sponsor the tournament.”

“Geese Howard is dead,” the CEO retorted. “And even if Top Tier was my company, there's nothing illegal about owning a shell corporation. Or sponsoring a fighting tournament. Now, if you'll excuse me...”

The man started back towards his desk, when Terry suddenly grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. “Please!” He shouted. “Geese has kidnapped my friends. He's going to kill them if we don't find them by tonight. If you know something, you HAVE to tell me!”

By this time, Andy and Joe had made their way back to the office and managed to pull Terry's hands off the shorter man. The CEO turned red in the face, got back behind his desk, and began to jot something down on a legal pad. “You know, I'm glad the mayor has taken this stance against street fighting. You people are an unpredictable menace who need to be controlled by any means necessary. If I were him, I'd run each and every one of you out of town.” His pen flew across the paper as he continued to berate them. “Now, as you have no evidence that I've done anything wrong, or even a warrant, I suggest you leave before I have you arrested for trespassing. I'm already going to sue you for harassment.” He ripped the paper free from the pad, folded it in half, then stepped out from behind the desk and offered it to Terry. “So, if you don't have a lawyer, I've written the names of some good ones down for you. I strongly suggest you take this.”

Terry glared at him, making no effort to retrieve the paper. However, Andy noticed an odd look in the CEO's eyes, even through his thick lenses, and so he accepted the paper from the man. Andy opened it, his blue eyes flicked briefly over its contents, and then he folded it again. “Thank you,” he told the CEO, his expression neutral. “We'll take your advice.” He put a hand on his brother's shoulder. “Come on, Terry.”

Terry stood there for another moment, and then reluctantly allowed Andy and Joe to lead him back outside. When they were in the parking lot, Terry was about to ask his brother why he had just rolled over like that, when Andy held the yellow sheet of paper out to him. “Read it,” he said.

Terry snatched the note from Andy, opened it, and read: I can't appear to look like I'm helping you because someone may be watching me. I used to have offices at South Town Commerce Plaza, on the 42nd floor. Geese Howard forced me out of them by threatening my family, and the people who work for me. You may still find him and your friends in my old offices. I am telling you this because I know of your reputation, Mr. Bogard, and that you have defeated Geese Howard before. Stop him. You and your friends are the only ones who can. Good luck.

Relief flooded through him once more. Terry then passed it to Joe, who also read it. “Commerce Plaza...” he said slowly. “Didn't that used to be Geese Tower?”

“It did,” said Andy, who suddenly had a look of annoyance on his face. “I don't know why we didn't think to look there before.”

“It would be too obvious,” Terry explained. “I didn't think that Geese would go back to the most obvious place. Which means it would have been the last place I looked.”

“That slick son of a...” Joe said with a shake of his head. “You almost have to admire him. Well, now we know where they probably are. So what are we standing around for?”

“Right,” said Terry. He started to open the door of their rental car, and then paused halfway, and looked at Andy and Joe. “Guys, I'm sorry if I seem like I've been having a short fuse all day.”

Andy shrugged. “I understand,” he said. “I'm worried, too. But now we know where to find Mai and Mary. We're gonna save them, Terry.”

“Right,” said Joe. “Also, those two seem to work well together. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hatching a plan.”

“Well, just in case they're not, let's get a move on,” Terry said, and opened his door the rest of the way. He and Joe were about to enter the car, when Terry noticed that Andy was looking at the strip mall across the street.

“Andy,” Terry said to him. “Come on. We gotta move!”

Andy continued to stare at the building, not acknowledging his brother. Then, finally, he said, “I just saw movement over there. I think we are being watched.”

Across the street, from their vantage point just around the corner of the small line of stores, Jin Chonrei peeked around cautiously. He couldn't be sure, but he thought the younger Bogard might have spotted him a moment ago.

“What's going on?” Chonshu asked, standing just behind him. “Have they left yet?”

“They looked like they were going to,” Chonrei answered. “Now they're talking amongst themselves. Now, it looks like... get back!”

Chonshu quickly retreated a pace, as Chonrei was doing the same. Both brothers then pressed themselves flat against the brick wall. They heard three sets of footsteps crossing the street, heard the loud conversation (which steadily grew louder) about how Terry, Joe and Andy were going to grab some sodas before moving on, heard the faint ring of the bell as the door to one of the shops was opened. Then silence.

“I don't think they saw us,” Chonrei said as he crept forward cautiously to the corner again. Chonshu fell cautiously into step behind him.

“Can we help you?” They suddenly heard a voice say. Both brothers turned their heads as one to see Andy Bogard standing behind them, arms folded over his chest.

“Word of advice,” came a voice from above. A moment later, Joe Higashi landed in front of the two teens, raised his hands in a fighting stance. “If you're going to sneak, try wearing some colors that actually blend into things.”

“Makes it a lot easier,” Terry Bogard said as he came around the corner that Chonrei had been peeking from a minute ago. “Now... would you mind telling us why you're following us? Because I have a suspicion you've been doing that since my friends got to South Town.”

“Yes, we would mind!” Chonshu snapped as he rushed forward with enhanced speed. Terry still managed to sidestep the charge and held his arm out, clothes-lining the boy. Chonshu struck Terry's arm with his face and sprawled on his back into the dirt.

“That's enough, brother,” said Chonrei. “Yes, we have been following you. Because it seemed likely you would lead us to Geese Howard.”

“Why?” Terry asked. “What is so important about the Jin Scrolls that they're worth this much trouble to you?”

Chonrei took a deep breath. “They are important to us... because we are descendants of Qin Kong and Qin Wang.”

As one, the eyes of Terry, Andy and Joe came open wide in surprise. When they said nothing, Chonrei continued: “My brother and I lived peacefully with the rest of our family in a small village in the foothills of the Daxiangling mountains. Growing up, Chonshu and I heard stories from our parents about the deeds of our ancestors. But we were told those days were long gone. Both my family, and everyone else who had settled in that village were living peacefully. Our father gave us lessons in the fighting art of Teiou Ken, but mostly as a form of discipline.

“Then, about five years ago, a plague wiped out most of our village. Chonshu and I lost the rest of our family to this plague, and wound up living homeless in the streets of Meishan. Sometimes, we made just enough yuan to eat something by helping people carry their bags to their homes, but most of the time we were forced to steal so we wouldn't starve. Then one day, we made the mistake of stealing from a restaurant under Triad protection. They sent men after us, who beat us and left us for dead. As we lay dying, the spirits of several of our ancestors found us. Somehow, they managed to heal our mortal wounds, and now they inhabit our bodies, and greatly enhance our fighting abilities.

“We came here to America shortly after we learned about the robbery that took place in Hong Kong. The spirits told us about what was stolen from that museum, and that it contained the souls of the greatest living warriors of our line. After arriving in your country, we questioned some fences who move ancient artifacts, sometimes with our fists, and learned that one of the scrolls might be here. Once we got to South Town, it made sense to follow you, Terry Bogard, as you and your friends have a knack for getting involved in situations where the world hangs in the balance.”

Terry rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “That's... quite a story,” he said. “After everything I've been through, I believe it. So why not just ask us for help? You know that my friends and I have seen enough in our own travels that we probably would have taken your story at face value.”

“We prefer to work alone,” and Chonshu, who had gotten back to his feet.

“There's still one thing we don't know,” Andy said. “I understand why you feel the scrolls are yours, but what will you do with them when you get them?”

Chonrei gave a smirk, and raised his hand. “That will remain our secret,” he said, then swung his arm down. Something slipped from his hand and slammed on the ground, generating a thick cloud of smoke that momentarily distracted Terry, Andy, and Joe. They each fell back a few paces, shutting their eyes and putting their hands over their mouths to try and keep from coughing. When the smoke cleared, Chonrei and Chonshu had vanished.

“Do you think they were telling the truth?” Joe asked.

“It wouldn't be the strangest thing we've ever seen,” said Terry. “But anyway, it doesn't matter now. All that does matter is getting to Geese Tower, saving Mai and Mary, and putting an end to Geese.”

“Then why are we still standing here?” Joe responded to him.

“Right,” said Terry. “Let's roll!” He then started back towards their car. Andy and Joe followed him, trying to keep up.

Geese Howard looked down from the window of his office, watching as the crimson orb of the evening sun began to dip behind the skyline of South Town. The remaining offices in the tower had closed for the day, and the parking lot was nearly deserted. So it was easy for him to notice the four-door coupe that pulled in close to the building, and also to notice the three familiar figures emerging from it.

Geese turned away from the window, crossed over to the desk, picked up the receiver of his phone, and rapidly pressed two buttons.

“Sir?” He heard Hopper's voice on the other end.

“They've arrived, Mr. Hopper,” he spoke into the receiver. “You and Mr. Ripper dispatched the security guards?”

“Yes, sir,” answered Hopper.

“Then light it up.” Geese hung up the phone and made his way towards the door.

It would have been a pity if Terry Bogard hadn't figured out where to find them, he thought to himself. Oh, it would have been satisfying to send him and Andy the body parts of their lovers. But, now... this will be a fight to remember. And one they don't stand a chance of winning.

As Geese Howard made his way down the hall, his eyes once more began to exude that faint blue glow.

Down on the ground, Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard and Joe Higashi were crossing the marble courtyard of the business plaza, moving past the ornate fountain which was now shut off since business hours were over. They saw Geese Howard's old headquarters looming large and impassive in front of them.

As they got closer, there was a sudden sizzle of electricity, and then, above the main entrance to the building, the word GEESE suddenly appeared on the side of the tower in neon letters twenty feet high.

The three fighters stopped for a moment, regarding what it meant. “He knows we're here,” Andy said softly. “We're obviously walking into a trap.”

Terry sucked in a breath through his nostrils, blew it out slowly. “Where Geese Howard is involved, we should have known it wasn't going to be easy. But trap or no trap, there's no turning back now.” He broke into a run, then, sprinting towards the main entrance. Andy and Joe cast a quick look at each other, and then started after Terry, doing their best to keep up.

 

To be continued...