Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Akirame Norwen ❯ Alice's Resturaunt ( Chapter 38 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
(A/N: READ THIS OR THINGS AREN’T GONNA MAKE SENSE IN THIS CHAPPY: I shall never write without an pre-planned outline again. As I have written this story, the plot has undergone various changes... things mentioned earlier that were once significant now barely fit in at all... why am I bringing this up? Because.... in the last chapter, (chapter 37) you heard Red saying “He must be out of his mind... blah blah blah...” a grammatical error... it was meant to say “You must be out of your mind, expecting me to go through all of this trouble.” Angry music makes you write strange things. Thank you.)




Chapter 38: Never write without an outline... you did read the author’s note, right? If not, you should.


Erik gave a sheepish grin and waved. “Hi!” After all, he was doomed, so why bother running?
“So I’m assuming that this is who you were mentioning earlier.” the stranger said in his deep, rich voice, turning to look at Red, only his pale lips showing under the shadow of his hood, his long, black leather cloak helping him keep his anonymity. To Erik he seemed to resemble either a dark Jedi or a monk with good taste in style. Was this man about to use the Force on him, or would he take out a fifty-pound book containing holy writings and smite him by beating him with it?
Red sighed and nodded. “He holds more potential than he appears to.”
The stranger stepped back. “Tell me Erik, what were you doing in this closet?”
“Akira locked me in here.”
“What, can’t you open the wardrobe from the inside? And if it were truly locked, why was I able to open it?”
Erik shook his head, feeling a great distrust for the stranger, and his heart beat wildly at the idea of Red being a usurper. Then again, perhaps there was something entirely different going on, he didn’t hear their entire conversation. “Well, I tried.”
The stranger allowed Erik to step out. He had no way of escaping, as they both stood between him and the door. “You wouldn’t lie to us, would you, Erik? After all, lying never gets us anywhere, does it?”
Erik nervously swallowed and shook his head. “N-no... I didn’t hear anything.”
“Oh, so you must have been near the door after all. Tell me what you heard, and I will ease your mind.”
“Uh..... nothing?”
“Mmm-hmm.” he reached into his pocket to get something.
Erik’s forehead beaded with sweat, and he quickly spilled his guts, deciding that perhaps today was not a good day to die. “Okay! I heard something about a plan and a target, but that’s all I know!” he covered his head with both hands.
The hooded man hesitated, raising an eyebrow, then finished pulling his flask out of his pocket and took a drink. “See Red? I told you, trying to be so secretive and afraid to let your plans be known leads to many complications. You have to remain calm and know how to handle the situation.”
Erik looked at the two, wondering what to think. He had known Red for as long as he could remember, so he could trust him, right? “What do you want from me?”
“You seem to be under the impression that we’re here to harm you.”
Erik didn’t respond, not knowing what he should say.
“I ensure you, I’m harmless.”
Erik narrowed his eyes. He’d seen countless movies in which the villain employ countless tactics, including the “don’t-worry-I’m-harmless-and-on-your-side” ploy, the “join-me” ploy... “You care about the well-being of your friends, don’t you Erik?”
“Is this blackmail?” He could sense the cloaked man smirking under his hood.
“Not at all...it just happens that we share the same interests. I can help you, and perhaps you can help me. Thirsty?” He held out the flask towards Erik, who sniffed it, discovered it was water, and took it while keeping his eyes on the stranger.
Neither Red nor the yet unnamed stranger made any move or showed any reaction when Erik took a small sip, but they did fall silent for a short moment. After Erik handed the flask back, the conversation quickly picked up again.
Erik sighed and folded his arms. “Fine, tell me what you’ve got that I could possibly want. Keep my mouth shut and no one gets hurt, right?”
At this the cloaked man actually chuckled. “No, I have a different angle on this. We’re both looking for something, you and I. Red here has been telling me that you’ve been seeing.... visions. Am I correct?”
Erik paused. “Visions....”
“Images of a woman and a young child, if I am correct.”
Erik looked directly into the stranger’s eyes. “Yeah... for a long time...”
The stranger smiled and exchanged a look with Red. “Do you wish to find the meaning of them?”
Erik nodded. “Heck ya! I mean... you think you can help me?”
Red exchanged another glance with the cloaked man, who continued on, “Possibly, if you help me in return. Today Tristen will be leading you to the Ancient Temple to examine some artifacts that have to do with Riku’s mission. Hidden within the temple is the entrance to the most sacred place... the Farplane. There will you learn the truth of your past. Now, all you need to do for me is make sure that Riku goes with you. No one else, just him.”
“Well... why him?”
“Trust me, his safety is in the best interests of everyone.”
“Okay... but still, why all this backstage action? Can’t you just go and talk to him directly and lead him there yourself? What do you need me for?”
The stranger sighed and shook his head. “First of all, Riku would be twice as likely to turn me down, he’s distrustful by nature. Second, there is a charm that has been placed on him. I can’t touch him.”
“Ah.... then wouldn’t that mean that charm is meant to *keep him safe*?”
“Perhaps.... but what if it were not a charm, but a curse, meant to hinder him in his progress? Come on, reasonable doubt, Erik. Be open-minded for me, or else we won’t be getting anywhere with this. After all, how long can you possibly live sane, never knowing the truth about your parents.... and the death of your father.”
Erik shuddered and looked away, a dark shadow settling over his face. Various images flashed through his mind, like blurred photographs. He could remember watching his father’s eyes, ice blue and wide with surprise, the life in them slowly fading away as his body went cold and collapsed on the ground. Then there was smoke... flames.... something had fallen into one of the burners on the stove. Through all the flames, he could make out a figure, someone trying to rescue him.... “My father.... died from a heart attack. I should know, I was there the night it happened.”
“Oh really? Why did you run, then? You should have known that your little friend Kira and her mother would have gladly taken you in. Or did you fear being lost in the system? The *legal* system?”
“What are you trying to get at?!” Erik angrily growled, curling his hands into fists and bringing his face right up to his cloaked accuser’s. “Are you trying to say that I’m responsible for his death?! My father was a good-for-nothing drunk and the only thing he was capable of was beating me until one of us passed out. He may have deserved to die, but I didn’t murder him, and I didn’t cause the fire.”
Throughout this tirade both Red and his mysterious acquaintance remained calm and simply watched, neither raising a hand to strike him down. “I like the fact that you stand up for yourself, Erik. Perhaps it would be in your favor if you knew who I was. Allow me to introduce myself,” and with this he pulled back his hood, and his eyes shone a brilliant golden amber, “As Ansem.”

(A second author’s note: sorry about this chapter being pathetically short, I have been pressed for time, and I thought I’d make this a nice cliff-hanger... but I promise, give me just one or two days and I’ll have the next chapter up. Oh, and when you people email me to nag me about writting another chapter, please include what website you read my story on, and if you review, include your alias... why? Stats, people... it's all science.)