Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Jenova's Children ❯ Rebirth ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jenova's Children
By Kawaii and Junsui
 
Chapter 2
Rebirth
Gaia.
Peace had spawned over the earth for a year and all was calm.
For a moment in time, all was still. Time seemed to have slowed to a halt; it seemed as if everything was sleeping, alive, but not living. The soft waves radiating from the Lifestream rippled over the surface of the planet, brushing it with its gentle caress of eternity.
From the core of this still earth, an angry essence rumbled. It cried out in pain from the cosmos and shook the peace with its anguished voice. From the recesses of the darkest pit of the universe echoed a presence, calling forth its remains, which had so been scattered among the remains of this so still place.
Jenova was calling her children.
The lifestream trembled in agony, screaming out in reply, asking for one more chance at life, one more change to set right the lie, which it had been forced to live.
Jenova complied.
Ebony tendrils coursed from the lifestream and collected into a cloudy mass in the green remains of a town once so noble and mechanic. Betrayal and sadness churned in infinite circles for an eternity before it screamed out in one last oath of revenge and the blackness burst forth.
Where the eye of the storm of darkness had been moments before stood a man.
Silken tresses of silver blew around ebony-clad arms and over eyes like a kaleidoscope of emerald and indigo. A feathered wing made of pure ebony hatred twitched softly as it picked up the current of the wind, of the Lifestream, and spread-eagled behind him, the feathers trembling slightly as he extended one arm to the side, light burning in his palm as a lustrous blade two yards long materialized within it.
 
 
Most people spend their lives trying to find what it is we were meant to do. Others already know, and others yet never try. In all of us there is a current, like the Lifestream, always changing and growing. Calling for freedom… for something… else. The warm light of Heaven, the cold harsh depths of Hell. But in between, there is nothing. No feeling, no temperature, just empty space. Drifting for eternity, if eternity itself even exists there. It is neither living nor dead, conscious or sleeping. Simply numb.
If there is anything, it is music. Music of the Earth and Heaven above, the voice of the Lifestream murmuring in the dark. From below, there is a ghastly whisper, calling, taunting. In Betwixt the Worlds, the soul waits. Biding the call, whichever it may choose. Yet some never move on. And for them, all is still. In Betwixt the Worlds, there is a field of flowers, yellow and white stars in a plane of green, white fraying at its corners. There, five such souls rested. A woman donning a dress in the softest shade of rose knelt beside one of the three figures lying upon her field. Smiling softly, she caressed his face, tendrils of her hair tickling his features. A dark haired man stood behind her, arms crossed. He surveyed the other two figures with curiosity brewing in his light eyes. The woman stood and clasped her hands before her, emerald orbs running over the three men.
The blankness that surrounded them infiltrated the field, giving everything a dull but ethereal glow. The already pale skin of the darkly clad men gave them a deathly appearance, but amidst it all, there was a deep feeling of sadness. The woman turned to her companion and sighed softly, laced with regret. He shook his head and draped an arm around her waist.
“You did what you could. They were never supposed to exist… not like this.”
“… There is one thing.”
 
 
Light. Blinding white light, drowning all else in its glory. Slowly, the room came into focus. Once magnificent pillars of white sandstone lay in crumbled heaps, those still in contact were crumbling and cracked. Heavy wooden rafters were creaking as a gentle breeze blew through the tare in the ceiling, a singular pillar crashing through. The wooden floorboards were worn and knotted; the benches were of a similar state, those nearest the impressive front doors where in a broken pile. Consequently, splintered wood layered the area, and everywhere there was dust.
Stained glass windows in small arches lined either wall, one row above the other, almost as if there was an invisible second story. Some were blown out as if by an explosion, multicolored shards scattered upon the floor, catching light of both sun and moon and casting color upon the weary walls. In the very front, an alter once stood, and before it, a multitude of flowers. But now there was only water. Crystal clear, eerily smooth water. Only four feet below every flower could be seen, preserved by the water like amber. Light danced amid the area like the distant ripples of a long forgotten dream.
There was a groan somewhere. A mass of silver flecked with orange, green, and blue light and dark material came into sight. A dark, leather-clad hand. It twitched. Was this my hand? I flexed it. It had to be. Getting up, I took my first uneasy step. I had been here before. But it had to be a dream, hadn't it? And who where they? I looked at the two similarly dressed men below me. Slowly, words drifted back to me. But they were not my own, but that of a woman's Jenova… Geostigma… brothers… the nightmare… remember… Mother…Heaven's Dark Arpenger… the calamity… Nebelheim… Kadaj?
I gasped without realizing it, clutching my head in shear agony, collapsing to the ground. Images of myself flashed through my mind, nothing truly in focus. A light haired man with a determined set, small children, shining trees, and dark cloak, a man veiled by some unseen object, dark blemishes, a box that called to me. What was this? Why do I feel like this? And then I knew. These were my memories. Even as my world faded out to black, something tickled the back of my mind. Something foreboding that was just beyond my grasp. Was it him?
 
 
Dewy blue eyes shot open as Cloud slowly sat up in bed, running a hand through his spiky, flaxen tresses. A cold sweat at the nape of his neck uncomfortably plastered hair to the place before he brushed away the moisture, frowning slightly. Throwing the sheets below his knees, Cloud sat up and twisted his lower body, hanging his legs above the floor before standing and glancing out the window, streaks of moonlight mixed with early sun from in-between spaces in the thin blinds.
“Cloud?”
Cloud closed his eyes, “Yeah, Tifa?” He inquired softly in reply. The brunette woman sat up in bed, blinking chocolate orbs in a disoriented way as she groaned sleepily.
“What's the matter? Come back to bed…” She muttered sleepily. Cloud sighed and shook his head slowly.
“I'm not tired.” He grumbled, looking down at the floor.
“Okay, if you say so.” Tifa yawned, lying down on her pillow, shifting in place. Not long after that, she fell still and drifted off. Cloud shivered, unnerved. He glanced through the thin slits of light the blinds produced. He couldn't tell her what he felt. He didn't want to worry Tifa… but if what he felt had been true, she wouldn't be safe for long.
“Sephiroth…” Cloud's aquarian eyes narrowed as they coruscated lightly in the rising sun.
 
 
Something was shaking me awake. I groaned and rolled over, staring at the floor. I was still in the church. Had I fallen asleep? No… I passed out. Turning to face whatever had awoken me, I found the other two men. They were looking at me with curious expressions, slight traces of confusion and weariness becoming more apparent by the second. The one with longer hair bent over and apprehensively looked into my eyes.
“So… are you alright?” his voice was low and silky. I frowned as thoughts trickled out of my mouth.
“…Brother?” I asked. He looked taken aback and traded glances with the shorter haired one.
“…Brother.” He said slowly, as if choking out a foreign language. More pictures flashed before my eyes, but this time, they were my own, from my own perspective.
“YAZOO!” I shouted suddenly, causing him to recoil. Yazoo looked at me and nodded curtly.
“Yes… I am Yazoo.” He paused. “Is Mother safe?” he looked startled at his own words.
“Mother…” I breathed. I looked at my other brother. “Loz? Is it Loz?” Loz looked to Yazoo, who nodded.
“Yeah… Loz.” He said in a thick voice.
“Mother.” I repeated. Why did that hit me so? I certainly couldn't remember my mother - was that it? Had she died? Why couldn't I remember? I started as I found Yazoo at my side.
“Are you alright, brother?” he asked with worry.
“Kadaj.” I said numbly. “My name is Kadaj.” Yazoo's cattish eyes widened as flashed with white light. He fell back with a jolt; Loz was having similar afflictions. “YAZOO!” I screamed, bending over him. He blinked hard as the white mist cleared, tears running down his cheeks silently.
“Brother… Kadaj.” He whispered, looking at me strangely. “I… check on Loz.” He cut off. My brows knitted together, but I did as he asked. Loz was fine, but he just lay there. He looked at me with an almost empty expression. By this time, Yazoo was back at my side. We all sat in a circle and stared at each other. My brothers were quiet, and I just fingered the floorboards waiting for someone to speak.
“So… what did you see?” I asked solemnly.
“What do you remember about yourself before you woke up here, Kadaj?” Yazoo asked unexpectantly.
“Well…” I looked at him sharply. “I… I don't know.” I looked to Loz, panicked. “Do you know? Tell me!”
“It's all right, brother.” Yazoo said soothingly, placing a hand upon my arm. “What do you know about a company called `Shin-ra'?”
“Shin-ra Electric Power Company?” I said out of the clear blue.
“Yes!” Loz nodded eagerly.
“Shin-ra… there's a man there, isn't there?” I asked, biting my lip.
“Yes, Kadaj. What can you tell us about him?”
“Well he… wait! There are two. Yeah… that's right. Two of them. One of them - “ I convulsed I saw twisted flames in my mind's eye. A lone figure crept out from the darkness with a deadly swagger. Somehow I knew that he was covered in blood. Long, shimmering tresses lay unscorched and instead seemed to radiate. He drew a long glinting katana up towards his chin and his eyes rose to meet mine as if he could see through me. “HIM!” I shouted out. Yazoo jumped back in alarm and held my arms, shaking me, trying to look into my eyes.
“Kadaj! It's alright Kadaj! He's not going to - KADAJ!” I stared back at him with what most have been horrified eyes.
“Yazoo, Yazoo, Yazoo…” I repeated in a small voice that was not my own. “Don't let him… I don't want … I… I'm scared.”
“Kadaj…” he trailed off, his eyes misting up, seeing me in so much pain. He pulled me towards him and cradled me. I let him and suddenly felt very small and vulnerable. I could remember. And this time, I could remember everything.
 
 
Wind buffeted Cloud as he sped along the barren wasteland. Dusty brown stone grew out from the equally dusty ground in strange spires. Dawn was just breaking on the horizon; it was early enough for the stars to still show. Cloud sighed, kicking Fenrir into a higher gear. Something was calling him, of all places, to Midgar. The last time he had visited the ruined city was one year ago, when he was still hiding. When he was still in love with Aerith. And in a way, he still was. When you love someone that love never truly dies. Cloud wondered off handedly if that bond was still there, and, if so, that Aerith was able to reach him because of it.
But Cloud was sure that Aerith didn't do the summoning - not this time. He hadn't wanted to worry Tifa back home, but… he sighed heavily. If he could go to Midgar and back soon enough, she'd never know the difference and he'd be able to rest easily. But still, thoughts of Sephiroth lingered in the crevices of his mind. It was also a year ago that he had faced Sephiroth in a final battle, inflicting Sephiroth with mortal wounds, and thereby killing the vessel he had chosen - a young man by the name of Kadaj.
Vincent had told him how he figured Kadaj and his two companions had come into existence. When Sephiroth vanished into the Lifestream, he had taken Jenova's head with him. To keep from going insane and deteriorating within the Lifestream, he had to overcome it. He overcompensated and his spiritual being split into three separate pieces. By this time, the majority of Jenova's cells had already been absorbed. The Lifestream held the souls of those that had passed, whether they were to move on, stay, or be reincarnated. The three parts of Sephiroth floated through the current and rested within the souls of three separate individuals, bringing their former selves back to the planet, but as different people. Judging by their reactions, their memories had been suppressed as well.
Cloud looked away in slight shame. Who had they been? Were they really innocent? After all, he could relate. No, he shook himself. Sympathy would get him nowhere, what those three had done was unforgivable. Simple as that. Focusing his attention at the task at hand, he maneuvered expertly through colossal towers of twisted metal and desolate buildings. In the early morning, the abandoned city looked unnerving. Shadows loomed in every corner and crevice, once proud buildings lay crumbling and torn. Nothing was how it used to be, and maybe, things never would be.
Screeching to a stop in front of Aerith's church, Cloud dismounted and removed his riding goggles, slinging them over the clutch. His eyes roamed the impressive front. Even in all of the destruction, the church still held a sort of beauty - Aerith's beauty, Cloud decided. He pushed open the wooden doors; they groaned sadly, slowly admitting him entrance. The last thing that Cloud expected to see in the place he held most sacred was the three men whom he despised, sitting on the floor, looking helpless and frightened.
 
 
Something jarred me from my comforting thoughts; it was the sound of an engine. It roared and reverberated through the metallic city, but still, it seemed to get closer. I felt my heart racing and I wondered why I should react so violently to this. The engine stopped and after a moment, the great doors creaked open revealing a man, shock written all over him. I looked at Cloud silently, judging how he was assessing the situation, prepared to react accordingly. He stared at the three of us a while more, eyes flitting from one of us to the next. Finally, his gaze rested on me, and all that was there was sheer discontent. I returned his scathing glare, recalling all our fights.
A sneer crept onto my lips, and I drew away from Yazoo. His hand reached out for me, silently calling me back, but I ignored it. All I cared about was getting even with the blonde before me. Automatically, I reached back and drew out my double - bladed katana. Shouba had aided me through many battles, even those I just now remembered.
I ran a gloved finger over the topmost blade and drew the blade downward in a slicing motion. Cloud grimaced and drew his sword, holding it before him and standing sideways to me. I snarled and jumped at him; he tensed and I laughed. Frowning, he backed away slightly, probably thinking that I had gone mad. “You knew, didn't you?” I snarled. He gave me a look of mixed confusion and hate that was hilarious enough to provoke a snort from me.
I shook my head. “But you chose to hide it. Let's not tell the poor little remnant anything. Making him suffer should be much more amusing!” My lips curled in disgust. I had never felt so angry in my life. Cloud squinted his eyes.
“What -?” But I didn't let him finish before I charged him. His eyes widened in surprise and he narrowly stepped back from being slicing open with my Shouba. I grunted, falling short and being forced to spin around rapidly to avoid Cloud attacking me from behind me. Sometime during our short conversation, Yazoo and Loz had risen to their feet and had drawn their weapons as well.
Holding Shouba backwards in my hand, I blocked Cloud's succession of blows. I flipped the blade into a normal hold, using my palm as a pivotal base, and slashed at Cloud's chest, cutting away at the leather straps over his chest. He inhaled sharply, his form of a gasp, and shrugged off the leather sheaths, being no more than a burden to him now. I forced him back to the water's edge, Yazoo and Loz framing either side.
He seemed to have realized his predicament, and stilled, sword still held in a fighting stance. Unsure of what to do, I charged him. He smirked and bunched, springing at me at the last second and pushed me to the ground in mid-jump, flying passed me. He whirled around and lowered the blade's tip to my unprotected throat. I glared up at him with as much distaste as I could muster, seeing no difference in his placid orbs. He looked to my brothers uncertainly, and then back at me.
I relaxed and smirked at him triumphantly. “Go ahead, kill me. You think it's really going to make a difference? He's not here… not any longer. Once I'm dead, my brothers will see to the end of you.” Cloud's eyes met mine, and for once, I saw how startled he was. He sheathed his massive sword and licked his lips once or twice. I picked myself up as nonchalantly as I was possible at the time, ignoring the bruise that was forming on my shoulder beneath the leather.
“Where is he?” Cloud barked.
“… Wouldn't you like to know?”
“Tell me!” he ordered angrily.
“Truth is, I really don't know.”
“NOW!”
“Don't care either.” He growled at this and went for his sword.
“My brothers will still avenge me.” I reminded him. He sighed in frustration, and then reached inside his cloak. In his hand was a cell phone. He looked to me as if daring me to make some sort of retort, then punched in a number. After a while, he spoke.
“Tifa? Yes, I'm fine… sorry. I… never mind, just… something's come up. Call Vincent, he's got a cell now- number's in the phonebook. They're back. No, Kadaj and his gang. … I don't know… somewhere.” He muttered this last part darkly. I figured he was referring to him. “You understand, don't you? Vincent will handle this; I have to leave for now. You too. …I don't know. Bye.” He murmured sadly. He hung up and returned the phone, his inner thoughts still bleeding through, even as he drew his sword and faced me once more. “I killed you once, I can do it again.”
“To what point?” I challenged. I had already told him that he wasn't here. Cloud looked taken-aback. I suppose he wasn't looking for a reason.
“You're a threat to Edge and it's inhabitants. We won't forget what you did last time, you're presence is intolerable here.” He said after a long pause. “You shouldn't even be here.”
“But we are.” I said cockily. “Bet you'd like to know why, too.”
“Hm.” Cloud snorted, trying not to sound too interested or admit to my being right. I grinned and attacked him, catching him off-guard, but drawing the response that I was waiting for. He lashed out and struck me across the chest, leaving a trickling river of blood that rippled against the shiny surface of my clothing. Loz cried out to me, rushing over to help me, and Yazoo stood shell-shocked. I couldn't blame them; the attack that Cloud had dealt was simple for someone of my skill to dodge. Cloud seemed to see this too and looked as lost as ever.
Then something occurred that even I had not expected. She had given me her promise, but I had never have imagined anything quite so grand. The once still water churned and grew into a tall, solid wall. Elegant tendrils branched out and enveloped me, working it way along my injury. I put a hand over my chest, watching in disbelief as the wound stitched itself closed seamlessly, leaving only stale blood in it's wake. The water faded back and settled into the pool once more.
Cloud gaped at me, evidently hurting greatly. “Aerith.” He breathed. “Why… why would she bring you back?”
“She took pity on us.” Yazoo spoke up, his voice thick.
“No.” Cloud argued. “No. She would ne-” But just then, a swirling mass of crimson velvet whirled through the doorway, bullets ricocheting off the walls. Exasperatedly, I ran towards the door, deflecting any bullet that came my way. My brothers followed suit, Yazoo stealing Loz's gun and returning fire with it and Velvet Nightmare. And in moment's, Yazoo and I were speeding out of Midgar upon Fenrir, Loz running inhumanly fast beside us.
 
 
Vincent reassumed his human form and paced over to where Cloud sat on a bench. His friend looked absolutely torn. After all of the fighting, all the destruction and chaos, there was peace, only to be snatched away from him. Vincent knew of Cloud's plans to propose to Tifa, of the love that he harbored for her. If only he wasn't so afraid of potentially breaking his promise to her that he would never hurt her by admitting his love for her. By taking a risk and let her in. For all of Cloud's courage, he was still so reclusive.
Vincent sat beside the towhead at peeked over at him. “You're doing the right thing, Cloud.” Cloud nodded slowly, not really listening. “You've got to take care of the now, before it's too late. Never do something that you might regret.” The scarlet clad man leaned back, staring off into space forlornly. “Never make that mistake. Listen, I'll cover this. Leave Kadaj and the others to me. I know you sense Sephiroth too, it's doubtful that those three can't feel him as well.”
“Do you think… do you think Aerith really did bring them back?” Cloud inquired softly. Vincent shot him a surprise glance.
“Aerith?” he murmured. “Kadaj never knew Aerith, perhaps he's not lying?”
“What I don't understand is why.” Cloud sighed fitfully, tugging at his cloak.
“Sometimes things happen even if they don't make sense to us at the time.” Vincent said sagely. “Everything happens for a reason.”
“I wonder if I'll have to fight him again.” Cloud mused.
“It's plausible, but frankly I don't know why he can't stay dead.” Vincent shrugged. “Perhaps he has yet to fulfill his destiny, or it could be that we have yet to find the true way to lay him to rest.”
“If physical assault doesn't cut it, what other option do we have left?” Cloud burst, standing up abruptly. He paced irately, pausing to crack his back.
“We can't leave Kadaj and the others unchecked in Edge. Or anywhere for that matter. Aerith clearly wants them kept alive, doing anything that could be detrimental to their well being will be ill received.”
“So we are to protect them?” Cloud frowned.
“I don't see any other option. If nothing else, to keep tabs on them, keep them from the eyes of the public for as long as possible or necessary. Hopefully, that will not be for too long.”
“I'm going to Hollow Bastion.” Cloud announced, stopping his pacing. “Others have gone there, I might find some answers.”
“How, might I ask, they took Fenrir.” Vincent smirked slightly. Cloud sighed remorsefully.
“The only way - by Gummi.”
 
 
I looked at the scattered glass bottle beneath my feet, letting Shouba's tip glint in the sunlight. My brothers and I had finally come to the city of Edge, consequently, Cloud's current home. We had wondered if the residents would recall or fear us, but surprisingly, we received neither. It seemed as if everyone had a place to go, and they all looked to the ground as if in shyness or fear. That was it. Fear. The city was rank with it - it was obvious by the large gashes rendered into the atmosphere here that something had occurred that was great enough to change the personalities of all the citizens within. Once or twice a person would stare at us with a flicker of realization before going off to a more important place.
I kicked the glass scornfully. Such pitiful people. How I hated them. Did they all know about me? That Rufus Shin-ra. He knew all along and used me as no more than a pawn. Was that all I was to everyone? And what of my brothers, who had even less importance in the grand scheme of things than I. What did they amount to?
In fascination, I watched as the litter scattered around the glass burst into flames from my sword's glare. The tiny bits of fire spread rapidly to a discarded newspaper and burned brightly. Yazoo may have made an attempt to stop me, or maybe it was Loz, I can't recall, but within seconds, I had hurled it within the nearest building. In mere seconds, it was a towering inferno. There were loud pops muffled by the roar of falling beams - gunpowder. The windows blew out and billows of black smoke escaped from them, pouring into the air in a dark beacon.
Yazoo dragged me back to safety, frowning with worry. I broke from his clutch and tore down the street. I stopped half way and grinned wickedly. All of these people. How many had known? How many profited from my misery like some sort of sick joke? And then I knew that I was going to make them pay for what they had done to me. I picked up more litter and found a lighter outside a store window.
Smashing through the window with a powerful kick, I hurled the now lit piece of paper inside. This was a liquor store. After a few seconds, there was a satisfying sound of an explosion, followed in short succession by a large chain reaction. The wooden roof caved in after a short while later, sparks jumping and igniting on nearby buildings and flammable crap that the people had so carelessly discarded.
Nearby was one of those cars. Shin-ra had created them, and there weren't that many. I knew little of it, only that Shin-ra was it's maker and that it ran with by product of the Lifestream and gasoline. I ran, looking over my shoulder as it exploded loudly, reveling in the horrified screams of passersby. I pulled to a stop in front of what was now a half-ring of fire, grinning sadistically. Yazoo and Loz were nowhere to be found, and for once, I couldn't care less.
I fell forward as something hit me strongly across the back of my head. My eyes went temporarily out of focus; all I could see was black. Apparently, this gave my attacker enough time to flip me around and pull up at the front of my clothes with a golden gauntleted arm. When my vision cleared, I was staring into a pair of enraged crimson eyes framed by feathery black tresses. I was sure I had seen this man around somewhere before, then recalled Cloud. This was his buddy, that …Vincent, was it?
Vincent glared at me suspiciously, looking down at the lighter in my hand. He plucked it from my grasp, looking it over a moment, then tossing it aside, glowering into my face. “Idiot!” he hissed. I decided to keep quiet and let him speak. “What the hell were you thinking?” I couldn't hold back any longer.
“I was making those fools pay for all the crap that I had to suffer through. For lying to me, for pulling me apart and destroying everything that I had ever held dear.” I spat, surprised by my own conviction. Vincent sniffed, and through me to the ground roughly.
“How stupid, could you accomplish any more foolish of a task? If my theory is correct, then it's Shin-ra you should hate, not these people. Shin-ra and Sephiroth.” I flinched against my will upon hearing his name. He had always been there, lingering in the back of my mind. Well, not always, but the last time… it was unbearable. Then to have him use me as he did… I felt nothing but fear towards him now, all respect gone.
“You think that you're the only one with any problems?” Vincent started to raise his voice, he was really getting mad. “You think that just because he's a part of you that you have the right to take it out on others? You're no better than he is then.” He spat. I sat below his glare, dumbfounded. I couldn't recall a time that anyone had ever spoken to me in that way; I must have been really little at the time if I had.
Soundlessly, I stood up. What he said made sense, but I could still feel the waves of supreme anger flowing deep within me. Just then, Loz and Yazoo rounded the corner. Yazoo cried my name and ran to me, stopping halfway and glancing at Vincent nervously. Vincent stepped back expectantly. Somehow, we all knew what it was he wanted, and we followed him willingly, a new goal forming.
 
 
Tifa was cleaning the bar, readying the Seventh Heaven for her visitors that day. The tables had been polished clean, the bar stools checked for rips, the bar taps cleaned, the glasses organized into rows. Everything was ready. The bell above the front door rang clearly through the empty room. Tifa smiled and looked up. “Hey, welcome to the Sev - oh!” she stopped short, eyes widening in shock as Vincent entered, followed closely by three very familiar silver haired men.
“We're going to need your help.” Vincent stated plainly, dragging the three men upstairs to the living quarters without awaiting the barmaid's reply. Huffily, Tifa turned the sign to “Closed” and ran up the stairs, going two at a time. The door to the room she and Cloud shared was standing ajar, the men with the shortest hair standing outside it. She recognized this one as “Loz”.
Shooting Loz a questioning glance, she slipped into her bedroom to see Vincent already riffling through Cloud's dresser. “Vincent! What on Earth…?” Tifa began.
“Aerith brought them back. All we can do is keep them alive and out of direct eye of the public, which would probably have been a lot easier if Kadaj hadn't decided to pull such a stunt as to burn down a few buildings.” Vincent replied hotly.
“What?” Tifa gasped in alarm. Kadaj huffed from his reclined position against the wall, folding his arms over his chest. Vincent continued.
“In any case, if Aerith brought them back, then she had a reason. No point in going against her wishes, we need to help them blend in as much as possible.”
“Should we dye their hair, or get them contacts?” Tifa suggested.
“While their eyes are distinguishing, you don't really notice them right off. As for their hair, plenty of kids change their hair to strange colors these days anyways.”
“So what do you want me to do?” Tifa inquired, cocking her head to the side thoughtfully.
“Help me find clothes for them. You'd know best what would fit each of them best. We don't know how long we'll have to keep them here, but Cloud said that they can leave once he comes back.”
“Hell no!” Kadaj retorted, standing up. “No way am I staying here until Chocobo-head decides to mosey on back!”
“Would you rather live on the streets and risk attracting attention?” Vincent replied coolly. “Or perhaps it would be more to your liking to try to steal enough money to afford a place to live?” Kadaj glowered at Vincent, trying to pierce through his back with his stare.
Tifa reached around Vincent. “Here, these might fit Loz, I recall them being large on Cloud.” She pulled a pair of semi-baggy dark-wash pants out of a drawer and handed them to Loz. Loz inspected them gratefully, smiling and the cold metal chain that looped from one belt ring to another. With this, he also received a loose white T-shirt.
For Yazoo, there was a dark red turtleneck sweater, similar to the navy blue one SOLDIER wore, and denims. Yazoo was Cloud's size for the most part, and was happy to find that much of the clothing there would be available to him. Lastly was Kadaj. His clothes were reminiscent of Tifa's adopted child, Denzel. He had baggy black jeans that would have fit Yazoo better because of the length, a black shirt, and a red hooded jacket.
Each of them also was allowed access to many of Cloud's various accessories; Yazoo took a fancy to the silver and gold plated watch that Cloud seemed to never wear, Kadaj to the dog-tags had they not been for SOLDIER, Loz to the unused black leather wallet, and so on. Tifa sighed and looked at her finished project, Vincent placing a hand on her shoulder as a sign of gratitude and comfort. Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo stood and looked at each other, feeling uncomfortable in such different attire and more than a little disoriented and tired from the long chain of events that day had brought them.
“You guys are tired, huh?” Tifa said softly, surprised by her own sympathy. Yazoo nodded hopefully, causing Tifa to giggle a little. “It's okay, if you're all to stay here, then you might as well take up a room. You have to understand though - I charge rent for rooms, even for one night. I know that you don't have any money, so as payment, I expect you to be well behaved and help around the bar. If you're not going to pay for the rooms, then you have to pay it off in some way that's useful to me.”
Vincent watched her lead them to their rooms and return back to straighten out the disarrayed dresser. “Tifa?” he prodded.
“Hmn?”
“Is the bar still closed?”
“Oh crap!”