Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Jenova's Children ❯ Lacrymosa ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jenova's Children
By Kawaii and Junsui
 
Chapter 4
Lacrymosa
“So…” Cloud exhaled heavily. “You're running from the darkness within you, and trying to protect your friends, right?” Riku nodded numbly, wiping away a stray tear with his thumb. He hadn't meant to cry, especially in front of Cloud, but they had evaded him in the end.
“I just… I was so mad.” He whispered. “And I think… I think I really hurt them, inside, I mean. But what if… God, I could have…” he cut himself off harshly. Cloud looked over at him sympathetically and placed a hand on the teen's shoulder.
“It isn't easy to fight the darkness.”
“Huh?” Riku looked at him in bewilderment.
“Darkness… is within each of us. It's something we all have to fight.” Cloud said finally. “Darkness… I think it's the choices we make, whether they are for good or ill. I… I wasn't always…” he shook his head and looked at Riku sheepishly. “I get you, kid. Trust me.” Riku grinned half-heartedly. Cloud stood up. “Even where I live now, darkness still haunts me. I thought I'd left it behind, but -“ he shook his head. “- There's still so much for me to do. I guess she has more planned for me.”
“Who?” Riku quipped.
“Aerith.” Cloud breathed remorsefully. “My first love. She's dead now, but I still feel her there. She's become part of the Lifestream, the current that flows around our planet and decides its fate; truly, it's Heaven. Aerith must have more for me to do.”
“What makes you say that?” Riku asked with wonderment. Does that mean he can talk to those who've already passed? Then he pondered with a jolt. Can everyone, if they try?!
“Her residual spirit rests within nature around us, water, mainly. I don't know. Something within me just tells me that my journey is not yet over.”
“Hmn. I take it you don't live here then?”
“No, I came here to visit my friends. I'm looking for answers, really.”
“Answers? Answers to what? I came here looking for you, only I didn't know it. Maybe you were supposed to find me?” Riku suggested. Cloud looked back at him thoughtfully.
“I suppose…” he drew his arms together behind him, stretching out his back. “There was a great calamity, that later spawned the evil war-lord… Sephiroth.” Riku looked up at him suddenly. That name… why did it feel so familiar. Cloud frowned. “What is it?”
“Nothing. De ja vu I guess.” Riku waved him on.
“Sephiroth brought death and destruction with him, and destroyed so many lives. In the end, my companions and I were the ones who faced him in what we thought was a final battle, but…” Cloud chuckled with pent up frustration. “That wasn't to be. Two years later, he came back through a young man. Apparently, the kid had already died, and Sephiroth manifested him because part of his soul rested within. In the end, I had to defeat him again - Sephiroth, the kid, and his two companions. But recently, things have been different. I found Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo - the kid and his companions - in Aerith's church, and something tells me that we'll be getting another visit from Hell.” Cloud brought a hand to his face and pinched the bridge of his nose, releasing the tension.
Riku sat in stunned silence. He felt a buzzing in his head. There was something important in what he had just heard, something he was supposed to know. But it felt as though he was trying to see to the bottom of the sea back at home, only a thick mist had rested on the water's surface, and his goal was just out of reach. “Can I…” he gathered himself. “Can I go with you?” he asked. Cloud looked him up and down skeptically.
“You say you can fight, but you do so with the powers of darkness. Too much could consume you. I'm not gonna risk putting you into further risk.”
“Please!” Riku begged stepping forwards. “Please! I feel as though I'll find something if I do, something important!” There was a tense moment of silence, and then Cloud nodded.
“Alright. You can come with me. I'll teach you to fight without having to rely on darkness. Even if I said `no', I think you'd follow me anyways.” He said. “We'll start tomorrow. I have a bike but Squall can make good use of it here. It's not like we're in that much rush to get there, and it'll give me time to teach you.” Cloud grunted.
“Squall?” Riku quipped, standing up.
“Leon.” Cloud responded. “We need to get some rest tonight, it's a three days walk to Edge.” He brushed off his front and waited for Riku to follow him up to the top of the staircase. “We'll spend the night at Merlin's tonight. Follow me.”
 
 
Cloud pushed open the heavy, wooden door that marked Merlin's house. Riku blinked his azure orbs as they adjusted to the darkness. Cloud assisted by snapping on a dim light. The `house' appeared to be nothing but a small studio apartment with a large computer terminal against the back wall. Near the computer terminal was a cot pushed up against the wall in which Cid slept. On the floor was Yuffie, dozing lightly in a Japanese-style futon. Under each arm was a pixie; Rikku under her left and Yuna under her right. Riku would've thought they were dolls if Rikku wouldn't have rolled over in her sleep, lightly grumbling.
“Cloud-dono. You're home late.” Riku turned to see a silver-paired pixie floating before Cloud's face.
“You're up late.” Cloud raised an eyebrow at the pixie, whom snorted in curt reply.
“I wouldn't if I didn't have to be on the lookout for that.” Paine pointed an accusing finger towards Yuffie, who was attempting to sneak out of the door behind Cloud's back.
“Yuffie… what are you doing?” Cloud blinked as the ninja swore and jabbed an accusing finger at Paine.
“I TOLD you that I would pay you as much munny or gil you wanted if you let me leave!” Yuffie snapped.
“I don't take bribes.” Paine snapped, rolling her ruby orbs.
“You little bi-“ Began the ninja, her hand balled into a fist.
“What the hells is goin' on her'?” Cid sat up in bed, rubbing his face with a single hand.
“Trust me, if I knew, I'd tell you.” Cloud snorted before walking over to a storage cupboard and removing two extra futon, one for him and one for Riku.
“Who's he.” Yuffie asked as she plodded back to her futon.
“Riku.” Cloud answered in a single word. The ninja rolled her eyes.
“Oh, gee. That gives me a great explanation as to who he is.” The dark-tressed ninja grumbled as she pulled the covers up to her nose before glancing to Riku quickly; a frown graced her placid features and she rolled over away from him. Exhausted, the teenage boy fell face-first into his own futon, burying himself in the pillow. His tense muscles ached and he relaxed and his body went limp, succumbing to the call of rest.
 
 
It seemed like Riku had just dozed off before a heavy hand was shaking his shoulder. The silvery-tressed boy raised his head up from the soft pillow, blinking slowly as the world spun into focus.
“Wha…?” He grumbled in confusion, looking around the room.
“Come on. We're leaving.” Riku glanced up to Cloud, whom was already wide-awake, even in the early hour of the morning. A beam of pale sunlight trickled in from a window and brushed over the smooth features of the boy with the icy azure orbs. Riku threw his covers over his legs and stood up, his head still numb with sleep.
“Aren't we going to get breakfast?” A female voice whispered. Riku realized it belonged to Yuffie, whom was clinging tightly onto Cloud's arm like an accessory.
“Sure.” Shrugged the towhead in a whisper. He frowned and turned dewy blue orbs on the ninja, “Are you sure you want to come? It's a long trip and you've been sick lately-“
“Shut up!” Snapped the girl, running a hand through her short tresses, eyes narrowed in anger, “I told you it was something bad I ate!”
Cloud grumbled something under his breath that Riku couldn't hear; but obviously Yuffie could, as her dark orbs widened in sudden shock and she punched the blonde's arm with all the force she could muster.
You-are-a-pervert!” Gasped the young woman, her cheeks taking on a pale red hue. Riku blinked several times and sniggered to himself, realizing what Cloud had most likely said.
“So you have a man back home?” Inquired the teen with a small grin as they left the home. Yuffie growled irately, a vein throbbing on her temple.
“If I hear another word from EITHER of you-“ She began, shaking her head in anger.
“You'll what?” Cloud smirked lightly, “Give us head?”
POW!
Riku blanched and took a step backwards, his face the shade of a pure white blanket. The ninja stood over Cloud, whom was writhing on the cobblestone ground in pain, her fist still high in the air. Yuffie then took a deep breath and turned to Riku, giving him an optic death ray.
“So, would you like to say something?” She inquired in a disturbingly placid tone, her dark eyes glinting with malice. Riku shook his head quickly, his azure orbs still round and wide in horror.
“Good!” Cooed the dark-tressed woman cheerfully as she peeled a still-writhing Cloud off of the ground, “Then let's get going!”
Riku stared after her for several seconds before submissively following.
 
 
“Okay.” Cloud rubbed the sore spot on his head and turned to Riku before clearing his throat, “Show me what you got.”
“A-“ Yuffie began sarcastically, but was silence by a look from Cloud. The towhead looked back to Riku, nodding softly.
The silver-tressed teen took a deep breath, nodding quietly before The Way To The Dawn materialized into his hand in a streak of silver. Riku held the indigo-tipped blade out at arm's length, an unreadable expression on his face before his azure eyes narrowed slightly.
Cloud observed the Keyblade with an equally unreadable expression. He reached behind his back to the leather harness and unsheathed a sword - the main core of the First Tsurugi. He held it out for his own observation and clicked the blade into place to form a solid piece. He caught the apprehensive look in the younger teen's eye and shook his head.
“Don't worry about the metal.” He assured him. “The First Tsurugi has a total of six parts, and is made for crushing, not slicing. This is just the main sword.” Riku smiled nervously.
“Thanks, that makes me feel loads better.” Riku said sarcastically. “I'll just be smashed instead of cut to pieces.”
“Hmn. I can stop the blade in mid-swing. Don't let me down, okay?” Cloud shook his head. Riku smirked and braced himself, legs spread into a fighting stance, Way to the Dawn poised above his head, left arm out acting as a guide mark. Cloud didn't bother to move. “Now attack me.” he commanded.
“What?!” Riku sputtered incredulously. “Aren't you going to set up first, ya know, get ready?”
“In a real battle, sometimes there isn't time to get ready. If you do as well as I hope, you'll be skilled enough to do the same when I'm through with you. Now, attack me.” Cloud explained. Riku squinted his eyes at him suspiciously.
“You'll be expecting it by now.” He thought verbally, a small glow of satisfaction creeping into himself at seeing the other man smile slightly at his thought. Riku relaxed and loosened his hold on the Keyblade's handle. He drew himself up and paced around Cloud, never taking his eyes off him. On his third pass around, he launched himself at his opponent's unprotected back and slashed down with the Keyblade. In a matter of seconds, he lay huddled up, grasping at his abdomen, attempting to catch his breath. Cloud stood unphased a few yards away, the tip of the Main Core nestled into the ground.
“What… the… hell?” Riku gasped, wide-eyed. With a small grunt, he hoisted his weapon above his head and tensed his muscles. Cloud didn't move. Riku sighed exasperatedly. “Oh, come on! You have to do something!” he urged.
“This isn't a game. It's training. Give me something to look at, then I'll move.” Cloud looked away disinterestedly.
“What?!” the silver tressed teen cried. Growling, he ran forward and swung the Keyblade at the blonde's chest. Cloud stilled until the last second when he flashed the blade before him, barring the attack. Riku snarled and threw his weight against the crossed weapons, holding his balance. Cloud nodded, still unphased, and brought his other hand against the cool metal and pushed it away from him. The teen attempted to push against the force, but ended up tensing against it to push himself backwards and aerial vaulted, landing in a kneeling position.
Suddenly, he yelped, jumping back as Main Core slipped underneath his feet. Cloud's eyes flashed with bemusement as he swung the blade part in a series of complicated arcs, forcing Riku to parry them and leaving him open for attack. The blonde slipped into a pattern of swings; right, up, left, up, right, up, left, up, until he was sure that Riku had memorized it. Then he changed the pattern, finishing with a downward swing. Riku rebounded in a similar fashion, now covered with sweat.
He stood shakily, and ran the back of his wrist across his mouth, grinning. “Damn, you're good.”
“I'm an Ex-SOLDIER, it's my job.” Cloud replied curtly.
“Hmn.” Cerulean eyes narrowed in concentration, as muscles coiled for the attack. Nimbly, Riku ran at Cloud, in a zigzag formation, cutting to the side when he neared, then veering in the other direction. A smile crept onto the teen's lips as metal tore into flesh. Cloud uttered a low gasp and pivoted around to clip Riku over the head with the flat side of the blade. Riku moaned and retreated aways, a hand to his ringing head.
“Hey.” Riku's head snapped up at the sound of the female ninja's voice. She set a soft hand on his shoulder and placed her mouth right next to his ear, whispering to him, “How old are you?”
What?” Riku shook his head, his azure eyes narrowed in confusion.
“Just answer!” She snapped irritably.
“Sixteen. Why?” He recoiled from her slightly, beginning to become frightened.
“Sixteen…” She repeated softly, her brown orbs sparkling with thought, “Sixteen… hmm… I can assume you've never gotten laid?”
“WHAT?”
“Okay. Here's the thing about Cloud. He's fast, but he uses brute force in order to accomplish his attacks. Like he said about the First Tsurugi - it's made for crushing, not something intricate like the precision of cutting or slicing. You're lithe and nimble; you don't have to use as much energy. Its like this: you don't want to use all your energy trying to please your partner when they're willing to do all the work… you see what I'm trying to say?” She whispered softly, staring at him with serious eyes.
Riku stared at her, horrified. But his frightened scowl quickly evaporated, “You mean…”
Yuffie grinned and nodded. Riku blinked several times, understanding the concept… as well as the weird analogy.
“You just have to get him to charge you…” The ninja licked her lips quickly and took a deep breath, “”HEY! CLOUD! RIKU SAYS YOU HAVE A CHOCOBO HEAD!”
“What?” Cloud's soft yell came from far away. Riku looked at the ninja, mortified.
“RIKKKKKKUUUUUUUUU SAAAAAAAAAYSSSSSS YOOOUU'RE GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!” She screamed at the top of her lungs.
“Yuffie shut the fuck up!” Riku's azure eyes were wide and growing.
WHAT?!” Cloud yelled loudly, beginning to charge.
“You're welcome!” Chirped the ninja as she stepped to the sidelines.
Riku bit his lip, his body trembling slightly, wondering if Yuffie's idea would work… she seemed to know what she was talking about- in more ways than one. With a deep breath, Riku mirrored Cloud's advance, and just as they were about to clash, he leapt and evaded the attack. The towhead wheeled around and Riku leapt again. Cloud huffed, beginning to tire of the shenanigans, and stopped and waited for Riku. The silver tressed young man tensed again.
“Relax!” Yuffie cried from a dozen yards away, “Just let your man do all the work, Riku!”
“I'M NOT GAY, YUFFIE!” Cloud screamed at the girl, and charged the younger man once more. This time, Riku feigned an evasion and slipped around Cloud at the last moment, mimicking his first successful attack. The blonde bit his lip with frustration, realizing what was happening and swung his sword, continuing with the game of tag Riku had initiated. Though time consuming; Riku could begin to see what Yuffie was talking about. You had to use your own strengths to deplore your opponent's weaknesses. Why go into offense, when you could trick your enemy into their own faults?
Within a quarter of an hour, Cloud dropped to one knee, panting heavily.
“Damn.” The spiky tressed man swore, looking to Riku as the boy hi-fived Yuffie from several yards away, “No more helping him, Yuffie.” He scolded lightly, stopping a short way from the pair.
“No way; you weren't getting it through, so I just HAD to step in.” The ninja grinned, admiring her fingernails in the dim sunlight.
“I hate you…” Cloud muttered irately.
Yuffie stopped her admiration and looked up to beam at Cloud, “It seems we have something in common!”
“Well… that was an interesting analogy.” Riku commented lightly, scratching at the back on his head sheepishly, “Where'd you get that idea?”
“Experience, babe. Lots and LOTS of experience.” The ninja nodded to herself, folding her arms.
“Don't call me babe, Nee-san.” Grinned the teen as the ninja politely handed him a bottle of water.
“Don't call me Nee-san, babe.” She retorted lightheartedly.
“I never thought of fighting as such a… sexual thing before.” Riku mumbled, red tingeing his cheeks. “Thanks a lot, Yuffie, for that lovely mental image!”
“Anytime hun!” the short female cried, waving to him as she went to join Cloud.
“Bitch.” Cloud muttered good-naturedly.
“Glad to see you, too!” Yuffie scowled, whacking him over the head.
“Ow.” Cloud half-moaned, half-stated as they began to walk to where he had left Main Core.
“So, the kid gave you a real work-out, huh?” the ninja inquired.
“I don't like your tone.” The blonde rolled his eyes. Yuffie grinned.
“Only to a perverted mind.”
“You hypocrite.”
“Hmn. I try!” Yuffie mocked him, curtseying. “So… ya think he can handle it?”
“Yeah.” Cloud nodded thoughtfully. “He's stronger than most his age. Faster too. In fact…” he looked away. “He probably would've made SOLDIER.”
“Oh Cloud, don't say that!” Yuffie cried, drawing Riku's attention. She winced and lowered her voice. “I mean, you don't mean to say -?”
“Yes.” Cloud nodded in all seriousness. “With the proper training, he'll come to surpass me. I wasn't good enough for SOLDIER, but he… as far as his style is, his determination… he reminds me of Zack.” He uttered wistfully.
“Wow.” Yuffie breathed, dumb shocked. Cloud had never confided things in her before. Not like this, at least.
“He's still not quite there yet.” Cloud went on intently. “At SOLDIER level, I mean. I remember my training, but… yeah, I think he's got what it takes. And then some. But we have to deplore his main weaknesses first. Maybe get him to do more then spar with me?”
“Of course!” Yuffie smiled, taking the hint. “I'd gladly help!”
“Good. If you get used to fighting the same thing, you'll never broaden your horizons to different styles of fighting. Maybe I'll find some creatures for him to fight as well, they seem to crop up all over the place. Oh, and introduce him to more weapons.”
“Like what?” Yuffie inquired, looking up at her companion.
“Guns.” Came her curt reply.
“Guns?!” the ninja shrieked, stepping back a pace. “But, Cloud, why?”
“You forget.” Cloud snorted. “During my training it was the only thing I fought with. Diversity can save you in times of desperation. Much like learning different styles and techniques - if he only learned to battle sword-wielders, he would automatically become inept at taking on martial artists, gunners, or even ninjas such as yourself. Different mind set, different was to attack and defend.”
“Geebus!” the girl exclaimed, scratching her arm. “Master never taught me that. And he was Papa's Master too!” she said in earnest.
“Hmn. It doesn't surprise me.” Cloud went on, ignoring the angry squawk from the young girl. “Your father, the Lord of Wutai, never really left the kingdom, except for wars, right?”
“Well… ya. I mean, I guess so.”
“Don't the people of Wutai have similar methods?”
“Ya, but… what about in war?”
“War is a whole different breed than a singular battle.” Cloud argued. “War is chaotic, unless you are part of an organized regiment going in for an ambush or raid. In war, as long as you can fight, it doesn't really matter if you're trained to battle whatever or whomever you're facing. Chances are, they'll be finished off by some other cause, or were thrown off because of some sudden action or noise.” The blonde finished, stretching.
“Geez, man. You sound so… I don't know, formal? Well, you're well informed in any case.” Yuffie stated, shaking her head so her short tresses shook from side to side. Cloud looked t her with an almost remorseful look.
“Ever since I was a young boy, it was my dream to become apart of SOLDIER. I lived for war, I trained for war, and now when I want to stop, war comes to me. War… is my life.”
“Ya, but, you asked for it, right?” Yuffie posed, uncertain if this was the right thing to have said.
“I guess... I guess I did. But I was ready for it, so I've survived.” He answered finally.
“Sure. But is he?” Yuffie countered, hitching her thumb back at the drowsy form of Riku. Cloud followed her gaze, and something flickered in his eyes.
“I don't know Yuffie. I don't know.” He sighed wearily, pulling Main Core from it's earthen sheath and slinging it into it's place on his harness. “But he has to face it, whether or not he's ready. This kid has something special about him.” He paused and allowed a small chuckle. “After all, he's Sora's friend, right?” Yuffie giggled and watched as Cloud sat down beside Riku. A frown crossed her features. I wonder why Cloud is so dead-set in helping this kid. Could it be that he sees himself in Riku? And even if it is for Riku's own good… could Cloud be hurting him instead? He was so serious about it, and I know it hurts him to remember, but what if he ends up turning the poor kid into another deadly, apathetic fighter? What if he builds his discipline and concentration so high that he just stops caring, that he becomes as detached and emotionless as Cloud?
“Hey.” Riku called to her, jarring her out of her thoughts. “What's the matter?”
“Huh? Oh, nothing.” She replied sweetly, quickly hiding her concerned expression. “Um… I'm gonna turn in a bit early, so, uh, keep it down, okay?”
Cloud shot her a strange look. “Sure thing.” He replied slowly.
“What's with Yuffie?” Riku inquired, looking to his new friend and mentor.
“Who knows?” Cloud shrugged it off. The two sat in silence a while longer, staring out across the desolate wastelands in the gathering dusk.
“So… is it really safe out here?” Riku spoke up. “I mean, we are smack in the middle of nowhere.”
“What do you think?” the spiky haired man shot back sarcastically, reaching around to pat Main Core. A dull sound resonated from the impact, which seemed to amplify and echo across the canyon.
“It's just so… dead out here.” Riku noted.
“Hmn.”
“No trees, no animals, not even birds or small plants!” Riku exclaimed, as he strained to see in the gathering darkness. “And not only that, but it's just so… silent.”
“Except for our voices and the occasional rasping of wind.” Cloud added, sitting back in front of the fire he had just constructed. The flames played across the features of the two young men, making their skin looked paler then usual. Cloud cocked his head to the side, and he looked with great intensity at something, all unbeknownst to Riku. After a second, he grabbed the silver haired boy's wrist and flipped it over, pushing back the armband that covered it. He stared at the faint silvery blemishes that ran along the length of where the armband covered in irregular lengths. After a great length, he spoke softly, almost in a whisper.
“I was wondering. Last night, you had bandages up your arms. I never thought to ask, but I couldn't help but notice that you looked perfectly normal, except for your arms. This morning, you weren't wearing the one on this side.”
“Ya, well.” Riku began, wrenching his wrist out of the other man's grasp. “It got better.”
“For how long?” Cloud said angrily. Riku stepped back.
“What do mean?” he asked suspiciously.
“How long will you be better until you decide you need to do this again?” the blonde went on.
“What does it matter? I bet you get cut up everyday.” Riku said defensively. Cloud was silent for a moment, but he was absolutely livid. His eyes turned as cold as ice.
“I get cut up defending the ones I love. I get cut up because I have to protect myself, or face death. I get cut up because I'm just trying to get by. But you. You do it on purpose. Because you think that it's the only way that you can let go of your pain.” He spat. “You're weak if you think that. So much weaker than I thought. If you think that I haven't gone through Hell and back, then you're wrong. You're dead wrong. Like you, I shut myself off from everyone else - refused to let anyone in, to get any help. But never… don't you understand?!” he cried, an edge of desperation in his voice. “Cutting yourself doesn't do anything! It's addictive, and it's dangerous. It's a mental disease. You think you need to do it again only because your mind is stuck on it, on the rush and the pain you feel when you do it. You may say that you don't care, but what about the people around you? What if you end up bleeding to death because you cut a vein? What would happen to them, then, huh? You think they won't care?! You're hurting yourself more than you know.” He whispered the last part. “I won't allow for this self mutilation.” Cloud hissed venomously. “I'll continue your training but no matter how much potentional you may have, I will not hesitate to end it if I catch you ever doing that again.” He stalked off, leaving Riku in his shell-shocked state.
What would happen to them, then, huh? You think they won't care?! The words echoed in his mind as he sat numbly, armband still pulled to the side. You think they won't care?! A scene replayed in his head. Him running out of the house, swearing at the woman who cared so much about him, who raised someone else's child like her own. How he had so sadistically left her crying for him to stop. He saw himself back in the cave. Kairi weeping on the ground, the look of betrayal in Sora's eyes as he disbelievingly watched his friend desert them. He had hurt them. And now… there may never be a way to regain their trust. Because he didn't have enough trust in them. Enough trust in himself. Quietly, he lay down on his futon, not bothering to pull up the covers. All sleepiness had long left him, the fire crackled before him, but he didn't really see it. And as he lay there, he was barely aware of the crystal tears that ran down his cheeks.
 
End Chapter 4