Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Jenova's Children ❯ Odyssey ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jenova's Children
By Kawaii and Junsui
 
Chapter 11
Odyssey
 
“Nebelheim?!” Yuffie leapt off of the counter from where she'd been sitting, running up to Vincent and grasping desperately by the front of his cloak, “No! I'm not letting you leave me! I'm going with you!”
“Yuffie,” Vincent said calmly, taking her hands in his and removing them from his cloak, “It's too dangerous. It'll take us a long time, and-“
“NO!” Screamed the ninja, throwing herself into his chest. “NO! I'm not staying here!” Riku watched the couple argue from afar as Tifa helped him pack supplies into a yellow duffle bag.
“Hey, Tifa?”
“Hmm?” Tifa hummed in reply as she placed a small case of potions in the bag, briskly brushing a lock of dark brown hair out of her auburn eyes.
“How did Yuffie and Vincent end up together?” Riku inquired softly as he watched the ninja stomp angrily and start to shout. “I mean, they're so different… like day and night.”
“I agree.” Tifa said softly, staring at the couple as well with soft auburn orbs, “But… it just kinda happened. I don't think either of them was thinking that they'd end up together. If anything, they're perfect for each other.”
Riku blinked blue and green orbs in confusion, “How so?”
“Yuffie brings a sort of cheer to his life, something Vincent's never really had. And… it's sad to say this, but if Vincent hadn't found someone…” The two watched as Vincent reached out to cup Yuffie's chin in his hand, staring deep into her eyes and softly said something to her. The ninja's chocolate orbs dropped down in grim defeat before she looked back up to him and said something in reply. Vincent nodded and they kissed. “Then I doubt Vincent would've let himself live. He wouldn't have a reason to. He needs her.” A grin spread on the woman's face, “And I don't know if you've noticed, but Yuffie needs Vincent, too. That girl has the common sense of a walnut. If it wasn't for Vincent, she probably would've run into a pole and killed herself.”
Riku chuckled jovially as he shoved a pack of beef jerky into the duffle bag and zipped it up, “Hey, Tifa… thanks.”
The woman smiled and quickly kissed Riku's cheek, “You're welcome, Riku. I hope you find what you're looking for,”
The lustrous-tressed teen's eyes misted over as he stared straight ahead, “Yeah, me too.”
 
 
“So, are you sure you have everything you need?” Tifa inquired as Riku threw his duffle bag into the trunk of the gray van with the WRO insignia painted onto its side.
“Yep, pretty sure.” Riku nodded as he climbed into the van.
“Hey, kid!”
Riku's head snapped up as Cloud walked out from the bar, one hand clasped around Marlene's. The small girl was carrying Cait Sith in one arm, the cat calmly wagging his tail.
“First off, we got an e-mail from Reeve. He wants you to meet him in Kalm,” Cloud explained, “And-”
“And you get to take me along, Laddie!” Cried Cait Sith, pulling himself from Marlene's arms. The child giggled as the cat bounded over to Riku and hopped into the silver-tressed teen's arms.
“I'm sure Vincent will let you borrow his gun if the cat gets too annoying.” The blonde snorted.
“To shoot me or the cat?” Riku grinned weakly as the tuxedo cat scoffed and glared up at him, his ears pinned flat to his head.
“Oi, Laddie! Give it a rest!” Cait Sith growled, his tail twitching irritably.
“And one more thing.” Cloud reached out to Riku, and grabbed his hand - the teen quickly held Cait Sith with his other arm tighter - and placed something with slight weight into the open palm, closing the teen's fingers around it. Riku glanced up at him curiously and looked down into his palm to see a silver ring with a metallic wolf's head carved into it.
“Thanks.” Riku said quietly, pocketing the ring with a nod. He recognized it as Cloud's personal emblem, and all within the family bore a ring identical to the one he had just received. He smiled briefly, a warming feeling of acceptance washing over him.
“Good luck.” Cloud said quietly. Riku nodded silently in reply.
“It was nice meeting you, Onii-San.” Marlene cooed, smiling up at Riku with cheer sparkling in her brown eyes.
“It was good meeting you, too kid.” Riku smiled softly at the child as Cait Sith leapt from his arms and into the van.
“Well, what're we waiting for, Laddie?!” The feline inquired loudly, “Let's get this show on the road!”
Riku felt a sudden weight on his shoulder and turned his head to face Vincent, whose arm still had Yuffie attached to it, “Are you ready to go?” He inquired.
“Yeah, I-”
“WAIT!” Every head seemed to turn as Yazoo sprinted out of the bar, still wearing a buttercup yellow apron - with what appeared to be the Piyo Piyo duck splashed atop the front - and clutching something in his hands. The man stopped next to the car, pausing to take a breath before shoving a pie towards Riku, “Here.” Panted the silver-tressed man, “I made this… so you wouldn't… get hungry.”
“Um… thanks…?” Riku said slowly, accepting the pie as he blinked in slight confusion. Yazoo grinned sheepishly as Loz walked up beside him.
“Oi,” Began the man. “Look out for Kadaj. He's bound to be out there somewhere.”
“I'll be sure to.” Riku nodded, his green and blue eyes narrowed in concentration.
“Come on! Come on!” Cait Sith cheered impatiently, bouncing up and down in the car, “We haven't got all day!”
“Well, I guess we'll be seeing you.” Said Riku, looking to all the faces around him. “It's been nice meeting all of you.”
“Same here.” Nodded Cloud.
“Take care!” Tifa beamed.
“Uh-huh!” Marlene nodded in reply.
“Come home safely!” Yazoo said worriedly.
“Don't get killed.” Loz suggested lazily. Everyone stared at him bizarrely for a moment before turning back to the van. Riku hopped into the gray vehicle and patiently waited for Vincent to follow suit. It appeared as if the red-clothed man was saying his final goodbye to Yuffie.
“Take care of yourself, okay?” The ninja suggested as she blinked tears from her eyes.
“I will.” Vincent nodded, kissing her lightly.
“I'll miss you.” Yuffie whispered as she buried her face into his chest.
“I'll miss you, too.” Vincent agreed quietly, breaking away from her, he reached out with his human hand a wiped a tear from her cheek, “I have to go now.”
“Okay.” The dark-tressed girl nodded, closing her eyes as Vincent turned and climbed into the van behind Riku. The driver glanced at them through the rear-view mirror, blinking his dark eyes quietly.
“Where to?” He inquired.
“To Kalm.” Vincent replied as Riku slouched into his seat and the car rumbled to life. There was a commotion from outside the van as it began to move foreword and Vincent turned in his seat, sighing and shaking his head slowly as Yuffie ran behind the vehicle in the same way a child would when they didn't want to be left behind. He waved slowly at her, his face expressionless as the van picked up speed and the ninja feel to her knees, shrieking after the vehicle before it rounded a corner.
“So, where exactly are we going?” Riku inquired, breaking a piece of crust off of the pie and casually munching on it.
“First we're driving to Kalm. There we'll meet Reeve, who may have some information for us, and we'll also stock up on supplies and rest there for the night. After that we'll head for the Chocobo Farm -” Vincent began to explain.
“A what farm?” Riku asked quickly, obviously confused, “And why would we be going to a farm in the first place?”
“A Chocobo Farm.” Said Vincent calmly, “Chocobo's are birds used for transportation. We're meeting Cid at the farm; we're catching a ride with him on his airship to North Corel where he's dropping off a shipment of chocobo eggs. From there, we'll take the chocobos to Nebelheim.”
“Sounds like a long trip.” Riku remarked as Cait Sith leapt onto his head.
“Yes, but it'll be worth it, right?” Vincent inquired, looking at Riku with calm, garnet orbs.
“Yeah.” Riku agreed softly, his eyes traveling to the buildings soaring past the windows.
 
 
“Riku. Riku, wake up, we're here.”
“Wakie, wakie, laddie! Its time to get a'movin!” Fuzzy paws grabbed Riku by the cheeks and he was violently kissed by something furry.
“What the fuck?!” Riku shot up from where he was sleeping, blinking green and blue eyes rapidly as his vision slid in and out of focus. Cait Sith peeled himself off from the floor of the car where Riku had knocked him over.
“Good lord, lad! No need for such language!” Cait Sith tutted, crossing his arms over his white chest. Riku glanced to Vincent, whom seemed to be smirking in amusement.
“Come on. I called ahead and booked us a room at the inn.” Vincent explained softly as he climbed out of the car. Riku, still discombobulated, climbed out of the van and walked around to open the doors to the trunk were Cait Sith was holding up his yellow duffle bag for the teen to take. Riku plucked up the bag and slung it over his shoulder, the tuxedo cat still clinging to it. After checking in at the front desk, the trio climbed the narrow set of stairs and found their room. Vincent instantly found the remote lying on the bedside table and snapped on the television, flipping to the local news channel before lying down on the bed closest to the window. Cait Sith walked over to an outlet at the wall and removed the white tip of his tail, revealing a small plug, which he promptly stuck into the socket for charging.
“Um,” Riku said slowly, running his hands through his hair, “I'm gonna take a shower real quick.”
“Take your time.” Said Vincent, the light of the images from the television flickering over his pale skin.
Throwing his duffle bag onto the other bed and removed a pair of sweatpants from it before heading into the bathroom. Once the water was heated up, Riku stepped in, letting the hot water soak his hair. Flecks of warmth fell down onto his body as silver tresses plastered themselves to his head.
I wonder if I'll find her. The teen thought quietly as he leaned against the wall of the shower, chills running down his spine as he touched the cold tile were the warmth of the water hadn't yet spread to. I wonder if my family can be at least partially whole again. Riku closed his eyes, his brow knitting in worry. Kadaj… I hope you're still alive…
 
 
There was no way he could've survived.
The old-fashioned truck coasted down the dusty road, jumping in place as it went. The terrain around the vehicle was barren and dry, but inevitably dust worn and weary, with a multitude of hills and rocks in the path of the beaten tires. The air itself was dense and heavy, but at the same time, cool. They would be leaving the desert and be heading towards higher ground within the next few hours. The blue truck rolled over several larger rocks, causing Kadaj to shake in place. The young man pulled the patchwork blanket the couple had provided him tightly around his shoulders. It was more for support than anything, but the chill air wasn't the most pleasurable either. Not that he really felt any of it.
He sat in the bed of the truck as it rumbled along, his back pressed against the end of the cab, a semi-circular window just above his head. Beside him was a shotgun embossed with a dark cherry wood. Jus' cock it and pull the trigger. He had been instructed. A few ammo clips sat beside the weapon, 12 to a case, all piled haphazardly in a small bin. According to the small family, there had been an increase in creatures that lived in the surrounding area - guard hounds, mainly. Leaning against the side of the bed sat the couple's daughter. She appeared to be in her early teens with sparkling green eyes and tawny hair fashioned into braided pigtails. She looked at him with keen interest, occasionally snuggling the soft, pink baby chocobo that sat wrapped in a towel on her lap.
“Kinda odd ta jus' find a person like you out in the middle of nowhere.” She commented, brushing a lock of hair from her face. “We didn't expect nobody to be out in Midgar like that, really. None too many people go out there an'more. Well, unless they lost someone too. We were jus' passin' through to pay our respects to my uncle - he lived there durin' Meteorfall and lost his life. Why were ya'll passed out in the street? That's kinda funny.” She bit a pale rose lip expectantly, silently urging him on.
“No way… he could've…” Kadaj whispered to himself.
“What was that?” The girl leaned foreword, attempting to hear Kadaj better, concern setting in. But the young man didn't reply, tears were beginning to slide down his cheeks as he whispered to himself again and again.
“He's dead… Riku's dead…”
 
 
Riku normally would've been bitching about the ungodly hour he'd had to wake up that morning, but opted to keep quiet, knowing that it was important to get back on the road as soon as possible. Cait Sith was perched on Riku's shoulder, surprisingly quiet as the teen followed Vincent through the marketplace that made up the streets of Kalm. It was apparent that the man had been to the town before on several occasions, or merely just had a strong memory, for all of the buildings were near as uniform - tall, two stories, with stucco painted in a creamy color, planks of dark brown wood framing them and forming geometric patterns across the upper stories. And all throughout was the color blue. Blue and brown clay shingles on the roofs, blue-gray paved stone streets, even navy to cobalt canopies that shielded the venues and wares from the sun.
At present, the sky held a murky, swirling gray and rose tint, the rising sun just beyond view of the tall buildings as a new day began. The streets were cold and empty, the occasional person running out to sweep the porch, or collect the milk bottles at their steps. Shopkeepers emerged sporadically and had begun to set up shop, still weary eyed and haggard, yawning widely as they checked their tills. But the majority of the citizens were still sound asleep in their beds, not due to rise for the next few hours. The tall black streetlights were still lit, pinpricks of flames barely visible in the growing daylight. A few sparrows chirped their morning ditties, twirling in neat spirals around each other, scavenging a spare breadcrumb a child left behind on the cobblestone streets, or perch upon a rooftop. Riku absorbed the new sights in wonderment. Everything was so peaceful here, almost removed from the rest of the planet's on-goings.
“Is this where we're meeting Reeve?” He inquired as they turned a sharp corner into a small alley. Over the narrow path was a collection of multicolored tarps hung from the tops of the buildings to create shade for the small area, and underneath was a collection of tables and chairs made up of black iron. At each chair was a place setting with an array of flowers set in the center of each table, a small glass-incased candle sitting beside each vase. A small gazebo at either entrance to the alley worked to book parties. Riku's eyes glanced over the tables until he heard somebody shout.
“Vincent!” Reeve sat at a table with two chairs pulled up to it, situated next to a brick wall with vines and small violet flowers creeping up its side. The dark haired man raised a hand and smiled cheerily, as if to signal them over.
“Good morning.” The commissioner greeted them politely as Riku pulled out a seat and sunk into it, Cait Sith bouncing across the table towards Reeve. The cat promptly knocked the man's coffee cup with his tail, and he quickly grabbed the mug, attempting to stop it from falling. As soon as the cup was upright, Reeve cleared his throat and looked to Vincent and Riku, “So, how was your drive?”
“Uneventful.” Vincent answered in a nearly curt way. Riku shrugged in agreement.
“Good to know you weren't attacked.” Reeve nodded, “We still have a bit of a problem with the creatures that live around here. I'm sure you'd recall, Vincent?” he added wryly.
“Hnmph.” The other snorted, shaking his head ruefully.
“Good morning everyone!” A cheerful voice cut in. A young waitress walked up to the table, beaming at all of them in turn; Riku found it quite odd that she wasn't perturbed by a man with a claw for a hand and a cat sitting at the table, but quickly dismissed it. She was rather pretty, with light brunette tresses pulled messily back into a bun; wispy bangs trailing over green eyes. She flashed Riku a quick smile and straightened out her skirt - it was knee-length and brown with floral trim and blanketed by the short black apron she wore tied around her waist. The girl fished a notepad and a pen out from one of the black pockets, still smiling as if she was being forced to, “My name's Taisha, and I'll be your server this morn. Can I get you anything to drink?”
“I already have some coffee.” Reeve said politely, gesturing towards his mug.
“No thank you.” Vincent replied. Riku was beginning to get the impression that the red-clothed man didn't eat or drink that often.
“Um, I'll just have water.” The teen said once the waitress' eyes fell on him.
“Okay! I'll be right back. Take your time deciding what to eat!” Beamed the waitress before she plodded off. Riku quickly turned to Reeve, his blue and green orbs sparkling with anticipation.
“Did you find Kadaj?” He inquired nervously, his hands scrunching the fabric of his black jeans as they balled into fists under the table. There was a dull tension gnawing at the pit of his stomach. He may not have known his elder brother very personally, but the fact was, he was still family. The first in a chain of missing and broken links to learning more about his past.
“No, I'm sorry.” Reeve said quietly, and reached below his chair, pulling out a black briefcase. “But I did fine some information that you may find useful. I was checking into the family name `Nonaka', and found a few things here and there. Records and the like. But I figured that you may want to have them, seeing as no one has been by to check any of the files out in over ten years now.” He explained while he sorted through the contents of the briefcase. With a soft “Ah.” he pulled out a large manila folder, holding it out to Riku, whom quickly took it. The first thing filed seemed to be a police report of some kind.
 
MISSING PERSON FILE #KQ665981
NAME: NONAKA, YUKIO
AGE: 4
HEIGHT: 3'2”
EYE COLOR: LIGHT BLUE
WAS LAST SEEN: NEBELHEIM SOLDER TRAINING FACILITY, MAY 25TH
NOTES:
-SEARCH PARTIES HAVE BEEN CALLED OFF MAY 27TH BY SHIN-RA. SUBJECT HAS BEEN ASSUMED DEAD.
 
Riku scoffed at the report, his face pulled into a sneer, “The only reason those bastards stopped searching for me is because they knew where I was.” His fist tightened around the fabric of his jeans with more vigor. “The whole thing was a set up. They never really looked for me, I'd bet. Keh! What search party lasts only two days?!” His face softened as he set down the report, seeing the next one, “My poor mother…”
 
Dear Miss Haruki Nonaka,
We are saddened deeply to inform you this regrettable information. On Tuesday November 2nd, your husband Sitoshi Nonaka was present during a terrorist bombing. Since his body was never recovered from the explosion, he is assumed dead. The last wagers he had earned will be sent to you as soon as possible.
Once more, we apologize for your loss and grieve alongside you.
 
Sincerely,
Shin-Ra Electric Company
 
“Bullshit…” Riku grumbled as he skimmed over the next paper, an eighth grade report card that belonged to Kadaj. The teen felt slightly comforted by his brother's grades. Perfect in Physical Education and English, failing miserably in everything else. The rest of the papers didn't contain any information on Riku, but more on his family: a marriage certificate for his parents, the remainder of Kadaj's school report cards, his and Kadaj's birth certificates, a contract for a house, records of weapons licenses, and finally his father's official SOLDER file. Within it were several detailed reports of missions that his father had been assigned, certificates of honor, more licensing, and lastly a picture clipped to a stack of legally binding documents portraying a lithe, handsome young man with wispy black bangs falling over icy blue orbs, Kadaj's slightly frightening grin playing across thin pale lips not unlike his own.
“Hey, Reeve.” Said Riku softly as the man glanced up from his menu, blinking.
“Yes?” He inquired.
“Thanks.” The teen whispered, putting the files back into the manila folder. As he did so, a small piece of paper fluttered out, landing on the table in front of Riku. His thinly drawn eyebrows knitted together a moment in curiosity as he scrapped it off the woolen tablecloth, and flipped it over to discover it was a photo. “Who is this?” He held the picture out to Reeve, whom took it and shrugged.
“I don't know. It was filed under `Nonaka”. I'd say it was one of your more distant relatives, but the date attached to it was too recent.” The man handed the picture to Vincent, “Maybe you know who this is.”
“I've never seen her.” Said the red-clothed man, placing the photo in front of Riku once more. The teen frowned slightly, studying the picture more closely. It was of a raven-haired girl around his age, hazel eyes peering out from behind long bangs. She was dressed in a burgundy tank top with brown cargo pants and black combat boots, a small dagger strapped to their side. Her arms were folded over her chest, and she was giving a sort of smug, grim grin. Riku bit his lower lip in confusion and pocketed the picture along with his bracelet and the ring Cloud had given him.
 
 
“Tell me again how long it'll take us to get to the farms?” Riku asked, kicking a discarded water bottle as he walked beside Vincent.
“A few days. Two if we're lucky, but more than likely three.” The raven tressed man informed him, keeping his gaze straight ahead. “We'll have to walk, so we should stock up on supplies while we're here and be sure to be properly equipped. By taking this route, we've avoided many of the monsters that have started cropping up all across the plains, but even at that, there are dangers in the wild that we wouldn't want to catch us off guard.”
“I see.” The teen nodded, readjusting Cait Sith as he started to slip out of his grasp. “So how long do we plan on staying here?”
“Only a short while longer. That meeting with Reeve took far longer than I expected. We need to get our things and check out of that hotel.” Vincent replied, a note of tension tinting his usually calm baritone.
“Vincent?” Riku stopped, staring up at the other man seriously. “Are we being followed?” The tall man halted abruptly, garnet orbs blinking slowly, calculating his answer.
“I'm not sure, Riku. But I feel that something's amiss. Perhaps it's just paranoia, but…” he trailed off wearily, scanning the streets that had quickly sprung to life. The sun had rose much higher into the sky, heralding the midmorning. “Come on, we don't have any more time for idle conversation.” The remainder of the walk was silent and hasty; Riku had to run on more than one occasion just to keep pace. The peculiar behavior that Vincent was suddenly exhibiting caused fear to gnaw at the corner of his mind, but he pushed it aside and focused on just keeping up so he wouldn't get lost in the twisty city streets.
“This is the difficult part.” The cloaked man said as they stepped inside their room. “Paring things down. We'll be traveling on foot, so we need to pack light while still having the necessary articles.”
“Well fuck.” Riku sighed heavily, eyeing his yellow duffel. “I suppose a change of clothes are out of the question?”
“Relatively.” Vincent chuckled softly, examining Cerberus.
“There better be a goddamn river along the way.” The teen growled under his breath as he scavenged around for the pack of potions that Tifa had packed away for him. They came in a small, clear, hard-sided case - three per package, and two packages. Besides for this, he found his toiletries and a small box he'd never seen before. Curiously, he plucked the little chrome box from the bottom of the bag and placed it in the palm of his hand. Vincent peered over from his gun interestedly.
“What's that?”
“I dunno.” Riku shrugged, removing the lid. He peered inside a moment, pulled away, and shot a questioning glance at his companion. “I still don't know.” With his thumb and forefinger, he carefully withdrew the glowing orb from its padded holdings and held it up to the light. A ray of sun struck its core, and radiant beams of distorted violet light danced over the tanned walls. Vincent's eyebrows shot up and he gave a small gasp.
“Materia?” he exclaimed in an inquiring tone.
“Is that what this is?” Riku queried as he examined the purple ball of swirling energy. “What exactly is materia?”
“Materia is the crystallized energy of the Lifestream.” Vincent replied in short. “Materia is categorized by the color. Each color performs differently.”
“Performs?” Riku asked skeptically.
“Yes, performs. For instance, green materia is for magic, and red is for summons. You have purple materia, which is known as independent materia. It basically is a power boost to everything you have, as well as yourself.”
“Didja know, laddie? Of the rumor that that there materia brings the owner luck? We'll hafta see `bout that, eh laddie?” Cait Sith interjected energetically, bouncing up and down on the mattress.
“Is that so?” Riku pondered thoughtfully. “So how exactly do I use it?”
“Just pop it inta your weapon and there ya go!” the feline purred. The silver haired teen glanced at the luminous orb before calling The Way to the Dawn, black spirals of darkness quickly vaporizing in the morning light. He paused uncertainly, glancing between the objects in each hand before pushing the purple materia into the center of his Keyblade where it was decorated with a turquoise eye. To his surprise, there was no resistance as the orb melted into the metal with a soft hiss.
“Here's to hoping that it brings me luck.” Riku sighed, dispelling his weapon.
“That was a nice thing for Tifa to give to you.” Vincent noted.
“I'll be sure to thank her when we get back.” Riku assured him as he wiggled out of his shirt.
“Don't lay it on too thick.” A cocky grin started to appear on the man's thin lips. “Chances are she stole it from the box Cloud's hiding from Yuffie.” The teen snorted and pulled out his favorite outfit from the duffel, kicking what remained in the yellow bag under his bed. It was the same clothing that he was given originally - another pair of black jeans, his black zip up tank top with a new silver X-shaped zipper pull, a triple layer stud belt, and a brown trench coat with three loose fastens across the chest. After a brief shower, he slipped these on, looking vainly for places to store his items.
“Take this.” Vincent called, as a black mass came and hit Riku square in the chest. The teen gratefully strapped the pouch onto his belt so that it hung over his hip, strapping it to his leg.
“What about you?” he called; checking to make sure that everything was in order.
“I'm set.” Vincent shrugged. Somehow the teen wasn't surprised.
“Cait Sith?” he asked jokingly.
“Aye aye, laddie!”
“Then I guess we better get to walking.” Riku smiled, tendrils of hope swelling up inside him. Something just seemed to come over him as the sun beat through the window, painting buttery squares of light on the carpet. He felt soothed, cleansed. Something lay just beyond the horizon.
 
 
“I guess you better get used to walking.” Vincent smirked.
“Ugh, shut up.” The Keyblade wielder moaned, pulling his shoulder blades back towards each other. There was a sickening cracking sound and Riku sighed in slight satisfaction. “I'm sore in places I never thought could be sore.” He laughed emptily. “And I'm fucking tired.”
“I told you that it would be rough.”
“I didn't actually think I was going to boot camp.”
“Boot camp?” Vincent raised an elegant eyebrow.
“Eh, close enough. In any case, I didn't think we were walking nonstop for two days.” Riku yawned. “I think I've had about six hours of sleep since we left Kalm. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to fall asleep even with as tired as I am.”
“Insomnia?”
“I guess.” Riku groaned. “Cait Sith, you coming?”
“Aye, laddie.” The cat answered groggily. It had been a few days since his last charge, and he was winding down.
“We should be there within the next few hours.” Vincent encouraged them. “We'll meet up with Cid and go. His airships are vast and accommodating, maybe then you can get some sleep.” He thought for a moment. “And we can charge up the cat, so I bet you'd get Internet access.” He bribed.
“Internet?” Riku perked up. He hadn't had been online after leaving Destiny Islands, and there were some definite drawbacks there. “That sounds wonderful.” He smiled happily. If Vincent were the lighthearted type, he probably would have laughed at the dazed and dopey look on the teen's face. Kids and technology. The man sighed, shaking his head, leaving Riku to his thoughts.
That feeling back in Kalm still hasn't left. I wonder what it could mean… after all, Kadaj is… He gulped. And I never knew him. Not really. But still! He chewed on his bottom lip unconsciously, directing his attention elsewhere. So a chocobo farm, huh? Large flightless fluffy birds. Giant chickens on steroids. This should be an adventure! Riku rolled his eyes at the amazing amount of joy that seeped from the impending location. Great, a smelly farm with oversized, multi-colored, amped chickens. … I wonder what they eat…
 
 
By noon, the sun was beating down on the three travelers. Riku wiped away the beads of perspiration gathered at his brow with the back of his hand. He had shrugged off his trench coat and slung it over his shoulder. He glanced wearily at Vincent. How can he stand to wear all that in this temperature?!
“I'm not affected by the heat or cold like you are.” The man answered, smirking at the look of shock that crossed the silver tressed teen's face. The man would always be an enigma to everyone around him, and he knew it too.
“Look! Is that it?!” Riku suddenly exclaimed, pointing to a large field with a farmhouse square in the center surrounded by a wide veranda.
“Civilization!” Cait Sith cried victoriously, punching the air with gloved fists.
“More or less.” Vincent agreed amusedly. He hardly considered a few country bums `civilization'. “But yes, that is the chocobo farm.” For as weary as Riku had been feeling for the larger part of the journey, he couldn't help but run down the hill they were situated atop. He stumbled towards the end where the land was steepest, and rolled a few yards, laughing maniacally as he reached the bottom. Within seconds, Cait Sith had plunged into his stomach and mrrrowed in approval, high-fiving the teen. In a twirl of crimson, Vincent landed gracefully beside the two; Cait Sith sprawled out and kicking his back feet merrily, and Riku who had long blades of grass stuck in his messy silver tresses.
Riku chuckled and picked himself up, shaking the grass out of his hair, which managed to lay flat after every piece had fluttered back down to the field. Cait Sith sprang up and all but skipped for the next few yards, doing a front flip in the air occasionally with a cheer. They approached the house from the northern end, where the corrals where constructed. Riku peered interestedly at the large birds that strutted about the property, bright plumage obviously apparent against the rich green grass, amber hay, and pastel blue sky. “Chocobos, huh?” he said.
“That's not all.” Vincent whispered, his whole body going rigid. Riku looked around wildly, a cold chill dousing his previously cheerful feelings. There was nothing but chocobos, grass, and sky. And then he saw what Vincent was talking about, laying a few feet from the house, sprawled out in the fields.
“That… that's not possible. … Is it?” Riku breathed.