Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Jenova's Children ❯ Cataclysm ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jenova's Children
By Kawaii and Junsui
 
Chapter 14
Cataclysm
 
 
A pulse. Quickening. Closing in. A ripple. The broad sweeping landscape swayed slightly as a ghost-like surge of energy burst forth, like a heartbeat in tune with Gaia itself. The vast pool of crystalline water remained undisturbed, still and smooth as if cut with a knife. It reflected the brilliantly gleaming silver trees, branches bare as if in an everlasting winter. But the damp gray rocks overgrown with serpentine green shoots proved this not to be. Wild gnarled bushes lingered around the bases of the trees, lush, springy grass stretching between them. There was no season here, in this place untouched by the world's order. Unnatural stillness chocked the mystical scene as a dark figure appeared through the thin mist. The fireflies darted away, as though repelled back by an invisible barrier.
The man grinned coldly, stopping at the water's edge, peering into it expectantly. It shivered, then the colors began to warp and distort, marring together to create a picture. The waxen trees burned brighter still and stretched into tall, towering buildings, that resembled large metal candles, melting under the violent heat of the fire around them. Sephiroth lazily flicked his eyes to his right, and the images within the pool moved with them, giving him a perfect bird's eye view of Edge. His cruel lips curled into a sneer as the multitude of windows on the new Shin-ra building exploded out on the streets below, thick black smoke billowing out of its wounds. The streetlamps exploded as well, raining glass as screaming citizens wound through the blazing city, fighting to leave their eventual graves.
A second ripple. In the pool, the city shook wildly, met by a second crescendo of screams the echoed ominously throughout the trees. There was the sound of grating metal and onramp signs and metal structures collapsed, tearing holes into the buildings flanking them, barricading the way out of the heart of Edge. A third ripple. The asphalt split and cracked, seeping black spiraling mist, blanketing everything in darkness. Raptors with thick plate-like skin erupted from the fissures in the ground, empowered by the darkness. The Shadowcreepers gnashed their teeth menacingly, pushing the civilians back against the burning metal. Some charged forward, melting through the barricades and darted off through the streets.
Sephiroth pulled back, overlooking the streets critically. His dark eyes flickered dangerously, his patience wearing thin. A flash of white caught his attention. He zeroed in on it, bringing the pool to show, like a window a streetscape, down at human eye level. The ivory figure he had seen was that of a stone angel, poised atop a metal archway between two business establishments. He wandered over the one nearest to him. The entrance was almost flush against the front like a solid wall. A few small steps led to the broad front door, shadowed by a slight overhang. Only a yard or two above this was a wide square metal sign with rounded, burned edges, an insignia emblazoned on its front. It was a circular design. At its center was a dark navy “7th”, framed by the words “Seventh Heaven”. The top half was encircled with snow-white wings, the bottom as black as obsidian. There was a ring encasing it all, punctuated with twelve golden daggers. Up and above the home business was a giant cylinder. It buckled inward suddenly, crunching as the metal tore like mere paper. Amber liquid exploded from the vat as the stone statue opposite it simultaneously burst.
At that moment, six Shadowcreepers emerged from the blackened streets and surrounded the front entrance. They scratched at the iron doorframe, renting claw marks in the thick metal. Snarling and snapping, they ran themselves into the door. After the third attempt, it buckled and fell off its hinges, crashing into the room inside. Sephiroth squinted his catlike eyes irately. Something wasn't right… his quarry seemed to have evaded him. Impossible. There was still Jenova here. He stepped forward, into the water. The surface admitted him, stilling seconds later. Another step and he was up to his knees. He could feel a deep chill, but felt no more than as if he was walking through air. The image in the water sharpened, coming closer, but not distorting or falling from view. Another step later and the pool's floor gave out beneath his feet, and he fell from view of the surface, which had returned back to its normal eerie stoic beauty.
 
 
“I miss Rocket Town! Can we go back?” a high pitched voice whined.
“Yuffie, we left only three hours ago.” Vincent replied irascibly. There was a brief silence. “Which means no, Yuffie.” He clarified.
“Awwwe… WHY?!” she pouted, crossing her arms over her chest moodily.
“In case you forgot-” Kadaj spat, glaring over at her, “We're headed to Nebelheim.”
“And? So what?! We can have some fun too, can't we?!” the ninja complained. “You guys are so emo. It's annoying.” She huffed when her suggestion was met by silence. It was clear they had resorted to ignoring her.
“Then what the Hell are you doing with Vi-” Kadaj suddenly decided it was not in his interest to complete that sentence.
“Can't we at least go to Gold Saucer while we're here?” she begged, gazing up appealingly at her beau.
“Yuffie.” He growled.
“Okay, fine! What about Costa del Sol? HUH?! What about that! You can't possibly disagree - it's right next to North Corel.”
“I-” Garnet locked with chocolate. “I'm not promising anything.” He sighed in defeat. The ninja shrieked with joy. “But!” he said warningly. “I'm not doing it for you.” Yuffie promptly stopped jumping. “Cid can't possibly make the time to pick us back up. Costa del Sol is a major port that connects back to Junon. From there we can head North to Midgar, and then on to Edge. It's about a two day ride from North Corel, a little longer than it took to get to Rocket Town. If all goes well, then we'll just head back the way we came. If all else fails, we will just regroup and leave from Nebelheim.”
“Why'd we come this way anyways? From Rocket Town, I mean.” Kadaj quipped.
“Cait Sith told me there were dangers on the direct road to Nebelheim.” Vincent said solemnly. “Things seem to be… happening around these parts. There is rumor of some activity near the city. We are near to Mt. Nebel, and therefore the old reactor. Nobody comes there anymore, so I assume we'll be safe.”
“Oh, yeah! We'll be bloody safe!” Kadaj rolled his eyes. “That's where the criminals always go. The old abandoned places that NO ONE ELSE GOES TO. Brilliant plan, Vincent.”
“You would know, wouldn't you?!” Yuffie retorted.
“Why YOU-!”
“Fine! You think you're so good! Come up with a better plan.”
“FINE! Maybe I will!”
Well, you've got ten seconds, `cause it's right there.” Riku interjected, pointing ahead to a tall mountain that had risen just around the corner.
Come on.” Vincent said, before Yuffie and Kadaj could finish their argument.
“I'll go around the damn mountain!” the silver haired teen declared, eyeing the reactor with detest.
“You'll come with us.” The gunner replied icily. “It will take you far too long to make it around the base of Mt. Nebel, and then we'll have to wait up for you - which we won't -” he added as the teen opened his mouth to accept the idea. “- So you'll simply have to buck up and come with us.”
“It leads right into the city anyways.” Yuffie said airily. Kadaj muttered some curse.
“…I'll go up your freakin' mountain through the radioactive materialand over the broken wooden suspension bridges - yes, I know about those, Tifa told me.” He said smugly.
“Not a problem.” Vincent shrugged, a vein in his forehead pulsing impatiently. “I can fly us over when we get there. Now let's get a move on.” He said through gritted teeth.
“You don't normally loose your patience like this. I think you're loosing your ed-”
“THAT'S IT!” the dark haired man yelled. “Kadaj, you're riding with me. Yuffie, you can take Floyd. I've had it. MOVE.”
“I don't wanna ride that retarded-”
“Nooooo! Steveeeeee-!”
“Not. One. More. Word.”
“Good day everyone!” A bright voice spoke up.
“GAH! Frikken… cat… thing!” Kadaj whimpered, holding Cait Sith by the armpits as far away from himself as possible.
“Good morning, Reeve.” Vincent replied thinly. “I assume you are about to tell me that Shin-ra's presented you with an ice cream cake and an apology card and has handled the situation accordingly?” he said, implying, “Tell me one effin thing is wrong and someone's gonna pay.”
“No, unfortunately. But Elena did just bring in some delicious brownies just the other day! I do say, working with Shi-”
“Uh, so what's new?” Riku asked nervously, cutting across the WRO leader as he felt Vincent's patience drop another five degrees.
“Oh, right. Down to business. This is Riku, I assume? Sounds like you. Right.” He continued, not waiting for a response. “Well, there are problems in Edge. Correction. We've lost the Shin-ra building, Vincent.”
“Lost?!” the other replied, all terseness dropped. “You mean bombed?”
“Ehhh, well… I'm reporting to you from the WRO headquarters at present. Got it all fixed up thanks to you. Don't know what we wou-”
“Reeve!”
“Righto. Well, I've got reports - it's on the news of course too - that Edge is under siege of some sort. The power's gone out; there are explosions, but no bombs, and lots of smoke. There are a numerous amount of civilians that were trapped in the center of the city; the different exits were barricaded because so much of the infrastructure has collapsed. Of course, we're working on getting them out of there. There are a few fatalities - smoke damage and the like. Some were just burned to death, but others had strange bite wounds. Their blood turned jet black and they went cold immediately. We had a guy in here that just passed - that's how we know. It's highly unusual. I don't know of any fire resistant creature like that.
“There are of course the normal news crews in there, and the WRO has sent troopers. We've got a few Turks in there as well, in the choppers. The strange thing is, we can't find a blasted thing that indicates whose work it is. There's no sign of anyone out of the normal there at all. Of course, we'd have said it was arson, or an accidental fire that got out of hand even, but the thing is, not all the pieces are fitting together. You understand?”
Yes…” Vincent said slowly.
“We want you to get right on it… where are you Anyways?”
“We can't, we're at Mt. Nebel.”
“Mt. Nebel! Why-?”
“Where is Cloud and the others? Can't they handle it?”
“Well, the thing is I'm in Kalm and I can't reach them. You have Cait Sith, so…”
“Alert one of the Turks, they'll know where the Seventh Heaven is. Everyone does.” Vincent replied.
“But Vinc-”
“No.” he said firmly.
“Vincent! We think this is really serious! You and Cloud… this is such a strange case. Between the two of you, we're certain that-”
“No.” Vincent replied stolidly.
“You… you don't have to. Just for us, I mean. That…” Riku began awkwardly.
“What is so urgent that you'd turn this away?!” Reeve protested.
“It is my belief that this is the work of something a lot greater.” The raven tressed man explained, eyeing Riku and Kadaj meaningfully. “Nebelheim has the answers, you know that.”
“Riku's past?” Reeve asked incredulously. “How does that-?”
“A lot more than you'd think.”
“But-!”
“My answer is `no'. Now, good day Reeve.” Vincent snarled, and reached toward the nape of Cait Sith's neck and flicked a small switch to the `off' position.
 
 
“Four.”
“Five! Your card is mine!” Denzel crowed.
“Ace”
“Damn, three.”
“Jack”
“Sweet! Jack. I declare war!” the brunette boy excitedly drew three cards and placed them behind his Jack. Loz followed suit.
“War, huh?” Cloud asked, amusedly as Denzel swept all eight cards into his pile. “A bit tame for you.”
“Ya, well.” The boy sighed. “Tifa said we weren't allowed to play-fight in the house anymore.”
“I see.” The blonde smiled softly. “I wasn't either, when I was a kid.”
“I'm not a kid!” Denzel huffed non-argumentatively and he added more cards to his pile. Cloud swept up the cards to the boy's protest. “Heeey! We were playing with those!”
“Ya, well you were schooling him anyways.” He laughed with a smile at Loz. “How about Poker?”
“Eh… what about Gin?”
“Rummy it is then!”
“C-Cloud!” Tifa's strangled cry came from upstairs. There was the sound of rushed footsteps. She approached the landing and jumped over the side rail. “Something weird's going on!” she panted.
“What do you mean?” he frowned, automatically reaching over his back to grab the First Tsurugi, forgetting it was tucked away upstairs.
“I was up in our room straightening up. I looked out the window and… there was smoke.” She bit her lip, throwing her weight from foot to foot.
“Smoke? Which way?” he asked, cards already neatly packed away in their box.
“Well… from the center square.” Tifa said. “And from the East. I think it's spreading.” She admitted. “Maybe we should check the ne-” Outside there was a loud Pop! The four tensed.
BOOM!
The sound of the explosion rattled the windows. Yazoo came out from the kitchen with Marlene at his side, looking harried. “What the Hell was that?!” he cried, shooting furtive glances outside.
“An explosion, what do you think?” Loz growled, although not at Yazoo.
“I figured that much out for myself, thanks.” The other retorted, pushing Marlene towards Tifa and running to the window. “Uh… guys. There are billowing black clouds out there.” Cloud rushed to his side, throwing the curtains open as far as they'd go.
“Shit!” the blonde swore, his thoughts wheeling. Yazoo raced back behind the bar in a flurry. There was a sound of creaking wood and the others peered over at him curiously. He emerged with an armful of weapons, tossing a stout gun to Loz, who checked it before strapping it to his hip.
“Where did you? How?” Cloud blinked, dumbfounded.
“It's called having an angry, mutinous Kadaj.” The silver tressed man explained. “He can have his childish moments, but he is pretty damn clever too. He found that compartment in the floor when you first brought us here.”
“What compartment?!” Tifa exclaimed, scurrying over to check it out. The space was big enough for a grown man to curl up in either in a crouch or lying down. Tifa said something, but there was another loud explosion that drowned out her words. She paled and looked around. “Cloud?” she called tentatively, pulling on her leather fighting gloves. “What do you think is causing all of this? You don't think…?” she asked, horrified. The other two men shifted uncomfortably, knowing where her thoughts were headed.
“If it's any consolation to you, Miss Tifa, I know that there isn't any other… people like us.” Yazoo offered softly.
“Oh! I-I didn't mean… I…. I'm sorry if I've offended either of you! I didn't mean-” Tifa flustered, trying to cover her error.
“I believe she was referring to Sephiroth.” Cloud calmly explained, setting a hand on the brunette's shoulder. Another explosion echoed outside, louder than the first. The panes in the window rattled ferociously. “Come on.” The ex-SOLDIER muttered darkly. “Normally, I can feel his presence, but…”
“I don't feel anything.” Loz said unhappily. “Just a normal sense of foreboding. I dunno, never had the chance to test our Jenova-awareness since we came back. Not sure if we should be able to feel it or not.”
“We still have all the Jenova, as usual.” Yazoo disagreed. “We're just Jenova and our original selves as sustenance rather than pieces of Sephiroth's soul. We should still be able to feel him… only I can't either.” Cloud cleared his throat, giving the group a cursory glance.
“Tifa, you and I can take Fenrir, seeing as these two had the good will to return it to us.” He began with a wry smile. “Frankly, the civilians would not expect either of you two to help out, and might panic more than they are due to at the moment, so I-”
“No.” Yazoo said resolutely. “Don't you dare think that our behavior is only due to the fact that we've been trying to stay in your good graces while at this house. Don't think that we are still the… the REMNANTS that you fought not so very long ago, that we aren't just as HUMAN as the rest of you, that we don't feel the same pain and sorrow and pride and honor. Because we do. And I'll be damned if I'm forced to sit still when I could help. All that is left of my curse is my appearance. I'm still Yazoo. I'm still the same as I was when I still had a chance at a normal life in Nebelheim. We're trying so hard Cloud! We all are! Do you have any idea how hard - how fucking hard - it is to try and start our life over again?! For people not to look at us and see monsters?! It's HELL, Cloud. It's HELL.” He spat, crumpling against the bar, silent tears running down his face. “We can't go out in public, we can't…. we're suffocating! We can't breathe! We can't live! It's…. ridiculous. So if we're to be hated and despised irregardless of who we are - if we are to never be given a fair chance - then why bother?! We'll go out there and do what we want. We'll fight not because we should, but because we want to. Because we want to help people, even though they would never think to help us, to even so much as look at us. Because….” He swept sheets of silver rain from his face, now stained heavily with tears. “Because… we're ashamed of what we are. Because we hate ourselves. Because no matter what we do, we will always be the remnants. We will always be blamed for so much sorrow and loss. Because we will never be happy, nor do we deserve to because… we stole it from others, at their expense. And all we can do now, the only thing left to do, is to cover it up with what we should have been… because if we can make others believe that we're worth living… then maybe we will be. It's so hard when everything you do is for nothing, when it doesn't change anyone's perception of you. You begin to just feel so… hollow.” Exhausted of words, he slumped to the ground, knees brought to his chest, his head hanging in despair, sheets of hair hiding the tears that now came unbidden.
Cloud stared at the broken figure numbly, looking very much as if he just got hit by a bus. The others watched tensely between the two. Finally, Loz broke the silence. “Yaz…” The other shook his head, afraid his tone would betray him further. “Yazoo, please.” Loz tried again. “Look man… I… I totally agree with you. It is hard. But… we're accepted here, right? I mean… even the kids love us.”
“They love you, Loz.” The other corrected, a hint of jealousy in his voice.
“… But… But Tifa and Cloud! They let us stay here and we joke around and … aren't we a family?! Isn't that what you said to me the other day?! That you felt finally as though we had a family again?! Please, Yazoo, don't be like this. I know there is a time when we all need to cry. We can't always be strong, and it's not right to keep that all to yourself. Kadaj is the same way and we always have to tell him that. And he and Riku love us too. We… we need to be strong. We need to rely on our family, because they love us and support us and are there for us, because they care. Just have faith in us! Please! Don't worry about everyone else. Like you said, if they don't like us, who cares! Ignore them. They'll see one day, and they'll regret how they saw us. And if they don't? Then they aren't worth crying over, right?” There was a long pause, and the elder man sighed heavily. He bent down closer to Yazoo and dropped his voice so only they could hear.
“Look, I know you've always had a hard time with this. I know you are obsessed with what other people think about you-” at this, there was a whimper of protest. “-but you really need to move on this time. For your own good. I know you were always over-shadowed by your sister, but I also know you loved her, and your parents. And I love you too, Yazoo. You and Kadaj both. You're the best brothers I've ever had, and the closest too, for what we've been through. Look, if you ever need to talk, come to me, okay? I swear I'll do what I can to help… I've been there too, ya know?” he chuckled darkly. “One day things'll be better, just you wait and see. But until then, we just need to keep our heads up. And I swear to you, once you stop caring so much about how others see you, you'll be a lot happier. It took a load offa me. It's just another thing that isn't worth dealing with or worrying about. It only complicates your life, and we both know that's the last thing we need now!”
Yazoo looked up at him hesitantly, issuing a shaky laugh. “You've always been my brother, Loz.” He smiled remorsefully. They stared at each other before Yazoo reach up and gave the other an awkward hug. “Right as usual.” He huffed softly. Now both standing, they parted, looking to Cloud and Tifa hopefully. The long haired man wiped the corners of his eyes with the back of his wrist sheepishly. “So… are we gonna save the world or what?” he asked weakly, attempting to sound more confident. Tifa could no longer contain herself. She threw herself at the two silver haired men, encompassing them both in a hug filled with sympathy and comfort.
“I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time. No one said it'd be easy, but… Loz is right. You'll always have us. No matter what happens. We've lived together long enough now, we're a family. Right Cloud?” she asked, turning to look at the blonde standing in the doorway. Ominous sounds still rumbled on outside.
“'Course.” He nodded, scratching the back of his neck. He was still unaccustomed to the `fluff' that his beau seemed to create, which always made him feel so out of place.
“See!” the woman crowed proudly, happy of their new family achievement. “Let's go.” She encouraged, dragging a surprised Yazoo away by the hand. “Loz?” Tifa paused, not hearing his footfalls behind them. The bulky man stood back by the bar, Denzel and Marlene beside him, a protective hand setting on the shoulder of each.
“I…” he looked down at them. “I think I'll stay here with them. They need someone here… just in case.”
“I don't nee-”
“Yes you do, Denzel! No time left to argue. Loz will watch after you and Marlene. If he tells you to do something, you do it, instantly and without question, you hear?” Tifa reprimanded, her garnet orbs narrowed in determination. The boy quailed under her glare and fell silent. There was a brief exchange and Loz tossed Tifa his gun, who took it in shock.
“Don't you need-?”
“Naw, I'm more up-close and personal when I fight.” He smirked, patting his left arm upon which his metallic, energy-filled, clawed weapon was strapped to. “Dual Hound is far more useful to me than a gun. Hell, Yazoo stole that from me half the times we fought anyways, but he already has Velvet Nightmare. You and him can share that one.” He shrugged, tossing his `brother' a few clips. “Take care.” He called as they filled out the door, the sound of Cloud revving the engine on Fenrir filling their ears. “And don't talk to strangers!” he called additionally, chuckling a little as he turned back to the kids.
 
“Let me borrow that top! Let me borrow that top! Let me borrow that top! I wanna borrow that top! That's such a cute top! That's a cute top! I wanna borrow it! Let me borrow that top! Aren't we friends? Aren't we-” Yuffie belted out.
“NO! No we are not friends and you can't have my frikken' shirt!” Kadaj hollered, a vein in his forehead twitching. It had been a looong two hour ride up to the top of Mt. Nebel, and they were just making the descent down to the town of Nebelheim. The little ninja had already enlightened her companions with a multitude of different renditions of the latest songs she'd found online. This was, by far, one of her favorites.
“I've already been to the mall!” she cooed, leaning over towards Kadaj, a golden arm slung around her middle resignedly, holding her onto the chocobo. “I've already been to the mall!”
“AND IT SUCKED!” she chorused with Riku, who burst out laughing. Kadaj glared at him murderously.
“You TRAITOR!” he screamed. “Teaming up with her!” he squinted his eyes irately to prove his displeasure. Riku, on the other hand, was too lighthearted to take his brothers thin threat seriously.
“Awe, Kadaaaa-chuuu!” Yuffie called sweetly. “Don't be a betch!”
“Common! It's not that bad!” Riku laughed. “It's kinda fun if you just go along with it.”
“Ya Kada-chu! Sing with us!” The silver tressed teen winced.
“Don't call me that.” He pouted. “And I'm NOT singing with you.”
“I've already been to Heaven.” Riku prompted with a smirk.
“I've already been to Heaven.” Yuffie repeated, lightly pushing Kadaj on the shoulder from atop the black bird.
“And after five minutes, I was like, `Let's go'.” He finished, still grumpy.
“SWEET! That's 20 gil, Riku!” the ninja whooped.
“Damn, never thought he'd actually do it.” The teen said, not at all minding. His brother wasn't the most enthusiastic when it came to joking around, so he didn't mind his involvement - however slight - now.
“KRAW!” the ebony chocobo called happily.
“Awe! I think Steven's hungry!” Yuffie chirped, petting the bird's neck.
“NO!” the three men chorused, all reaching to stop her.
“Geez, you'd think I was trying to poison the poor thing!” she grumped.
“Aren't you?” Kadaj spat back sarcastically. “You already managed to make it retarded.”
“He's only dyslexic!” the dark haired girl said defensively. Everyone stopped and watched as Steven the Chocobo attempted to eat a certain clump of greens by sticking his head underneath his body and around his leg.
“Oh ya. He's only dyslexic.” Kadaj drawled. The girl sent him a scathing look and tapped the back of Steven's neck.
“Come on Steven. Steven!”
“Kraw?”
“Come on now, Steven. Yee-haw!” and with that, she dug her heels into the bird's side and smacked it on the rear. Within seconds, Vincent and Yuffie were only a rapidly moving black spot in the distance. Kadaj and Riku exchanged bemused looks.
“Well damn, and I thought I got ripped off with the pink one.” The elder said, ruffling Floyd's brilliantly colored plumage.
“Well, I always loved October.” Riku shrugged. “And can you imagine what would have happened if you ended up with Sabbath, err… Steven? You wanted him, didn't you?”
“Geez… I'd have killed Yuffie for doing that to my bird.” There was a brief silence as the brothers rode further down the path. Kadaj began to snigger uncontrollably.
“Alright, what is it?”
“Well…” Kadaj tried to fight off the grin. “I was just thinking. I have a pink chocobo, and you have a blue one.”
“Wow Kadaj. I'd never have known that otherwise. Incredible information, Sherlock. If we happen to find a colorblind man, I'll tell him.” Riku said dryly.
“No! That's not! Jesus Jenova! I was just thinking how it reminded me of those two unicorns from that little show…”
“Uh-huh.” The other teen nodded. “…Race ya to Candy Mountain! YA!” And with that, he pelted down the path, Kadaj hot on his trail, laughing all the way.
 
 
“Can we go back to playing War?” Denzel asked. “Or Gin Rummy or something.”
“I don't know, kiddo.” Loz shrugged, looking apprehensively out the window.
“I dunno, I just thought that maybe… well, take our minds off things, ya know?” the boy added optimistically.
“Not sure. Hey! Heeey! Marlene, get away from the window, okay?” Loz warned, pacing over to her. Halfway across, she screamed and backed away.
“The statue! The angel!” she yelled, wide-eyed. “It just… it just…” and she mimed an explosion with her hands.
“Combusted?!” Denzel suggested, running to check it out. Pieces of white stone littered the ground. “Holy sh-” The window panes started to rattle violently, but the explosions outside were too irregular to have caused it.
“Denzel.” Loz called, white faced. “Denzel, come here.” He called to the petrified boy. “Something's wrong Denzel, get away from that window.” The words seemed to have the desired effect, because the brunette raced into the older man's protective arms. There was a horrible moaning wail, and a jarring sound reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard. Everything went still and the three occupants of the building held their breaths, hearing their own racing hearts. There was a faint pop! The panes rattled so hard, the glass nearly erupted, and a horrible, deafening sound of ripping metal came from the second story as beer exploded over the building and into the street.
“THE TANK BURST!” the young girl exclaimed, pointing at the amber liquid oozing down the windows. “Loz-nii-san, what's going on?” she asked, twirling her hair between her fingers worriedly.
“It's fine, Marlene. Just stay back from the door. Just stay…” he broke off, staring amazedly into the street.
“Dude... it's… getting darker.” Denzel said slowly.
“Is it the Lifestream again?”
“Can't be.” The brunette disagreed. “Aerith is up there protecting us now, right? She wouldn't let him use that again. `Sides, he's been offed twice now. Cloud saw to that.” He assured her proudly.
“GET BACK!” the silver haired man roared, pushing them back into the kitchen. “Get under the table, hide! Somewhere! Something's forming out there. Don't make a word, pretend you're not even here.” He ordered, his voice strained. They all froze as the sound of tearing iron screeched from the outside. Loz hurried out into the bar, closing the door discretely behind him just in time to see a Shadowcreeper break through a narrow window, shoving its nose into the fissure and clicking its jaws.
“Perfect.” He growled. “I guess I could have used that gun.” The Shadowcreepers had begun to throw themselves resolutely at the front door and at the windows. His heart pounding in his throat, Loz pulled two orbs from his jeans pocket and rolled them in his palm. He had two Fire Materia, courtesy of one of Yazoo's shopping excursions. He had two chances to destroy six monsters that had an inordinate amount of speed, agility, and strength. Not to mention they could smell anything within a quarter mile. Quickly, he forced the two swirling orbs into his left arm, wincing at the feel. A third attempt at the front door, and it crashed inward, completely off its hinges. There was a plume of darkness and dust, during which there was the sound of shattering and crunching glass. The dust cleared and six dark creatures stood, staggered in an arrow-like formation.
“I remember you.” Loz said darkly, crouching into a fighting stance. The front-most raptor launched forward, back claws aiming for his abdomen. Loz became a blur and charged past it towards a pair aiming for the back door. With a growl, he sliced at the chest of the first, bringing it down to the ground. The second turned to bite his shoulder, but he punched it, blinding it with the ring Cloud had given him weeks prior. The Shadowcreeper reared back, screaming in pain. Its opponent smirked and penetrated it's thickly plated chest with the Dual Hound, upper cutting into its jaw so the metal claws ran all the way up its chest.
Two down, four to go. He barely turned when he sprung from the floor with surprising agility at another raptor, tearing into its flank. It roared and clawed at Loz's side, just grazing his skin as he pulled away. He kicked another approaching beast in the throat and ducked between its legs to rear back and pierce it through the spinal column. It hunkered down to the ground, paralyzed. With a smirk of satisfaction, he whirled backwards, avoiding the still snapping giant head, and fired off a blast of flames at the three Shadowcreepers. The fire grew upon impact then died out, having killed the monsters from the intensity of the flames. Loz landed neatly on the bar's floor, looking around worriedly for the missing raptor. And if he knew anything of them…
He willed himself to look to the kitchen, and sure enough, the door was slightly ajar. Paling instantly at the implications of what could have happened behind his back, he charged into the room without second thought. The beast snapped around to face him, pulling its nose out from under the table. Marlene and Denzel were cowering against the other wall, terrified. Loz drew it back from the children, ducking as it soared over his head, thick nail digging into the wooden floorboards. Hissing its fury, it advanced again, this time swiping with its front feet. A single claw scraped Loz's scalp, drawing scarlet blood instantly.
“DUCK!” a high voice screamed as the monster wheeled to attack once more. Instantly, the silver haired man fell to a crouch. There was a sickening clunking sound, then a whine, and the Shadowcreeper collapsed on the floor, eyes rolling back into its head, thick tongue lolled over one side of its jaw. Getting to his feet, Loz saw a dark object protruding from its skull. With a frown, he grasped what appeared to be a handle and withdrew a seven inch knife covered in gooey black blood. He turned, shocked, to see a ghostly pale Denzel with his arm still extended.
“An excellent throw.” The man commented, placing the knife haphazardly on the counter and falling down beside both children. “Thank you.” He added to the startled Denzel. “Are you both alright? There was six of `em. I should have seen-” Were it possible for the boy to get any lighter, he would have.
“SIX?!” he squeaked. “One was enough for me, thanks.” He said, aghast.
“You two sit tight, I'm going to step outside and look and see if any more are coming. They knocked the door clean off its hinges, and the windows are all shot. I'll holler if I see anything coming. You're both doing brilliantly.” He added lovingly, drawing Marlene in for a hug and mussing Denzel's hair. “I'll be back shortly. With that, he left, the sound of his combat boots echoing back to the two children.
“What should we do, nii-san?” Marlene asked nervously.
“Sit tight I guess.” The boy relented, for once not seeming so upset about staying out of danger's way.
“But… I don't know…” the girl argued, chewing her bottom lip. “This isn't that safe. We have better places to go, like when we play hide-and-seek! We've got to think of good places to hide, places no one or nothing could really get to us!” she said brightly. Denzel contemplated her idea thoughtfully.
“Ya, I guess you've got a point there.” He agreed. “But Loz said…”
“He just wants us to be safe!” the girl argued, frowning now. “We'd only be helping him.”
“All right, all right.” The brunette waved his hands in exasperation. “Let's split up then. First hint of trouble and you yell, got it?” he asked, suddenly very much like Tifa.
“Got it!” Marlene replied brightly. Hesitantly, the two emerged from the backmost room of the family bar. Loz was pacing back and forth in the street, looking sharply from side to side. They watched him, transfixed, as he suddenly froze, becoming very rigid. He bent low into a fighting stance, eyes narrowed in concentration. Without looking towards the bar, he bellowed, “PAPER CRANES.” Strange as the words were, Marlene and Denzel understood right away. Loz had showed them a form of hide-and-seek that he and Kadaj had made up when they were kids called Life-and-Death. There were two seekers; one representing fire and death, the other representing water and life. The other players would hide and the seekers would go and find them. If Life found them first, they'd yell “Holy!” and the person would be spared from Death. If Death found a person, they'd yell “Paper Cranes” because of the frailty of the person and the destruction of Death's fire. Life could save the person, and the seeker with the majority of people won.
The warning was discreet enough, but the message was clear: something very dangerous was coming - something that could understand warnings - and they needed to hide as fast as possible. “Quick!” the secret compartment!” Marlene whispered harshly, shoving her adopted brother forward. She wrenched open the door and pushed him towards it. He opened his mouth to protest, that he'd stay and help Loz fight, but she cut across him. “No! I'm smaller, and only one of us can fit. Go!” Reason sided with her, and Denzel crouched into the space. The door banged heavily over his head, plunging him in darkness, and there was a grating sound as Marlene hid the place with a few wine barrels.
Chancing a glance out the window, she scampered around, looking desperately for a place to hide. The scuffling sound of a battle grew louder, and she ran back into the kitchen, clambering into a cabinet with Tifa's pots and pans, hunched over uncomfortably. Her breath hitched in her throat as she heard a heavy impact just outside. Loz moaned painfully, getting back up to his feet.
“You're pathetic.” Said a voice disdainfully.
“Shut up! I'm far better than you can ever be!” Loz argued forcibly, wiping away the trickle of blood at the corner of his mouth with the back of his wrist.
“Oh?” crooned the silky voice, sweet like honey, but dripping with venom. “And why would my little remnant say this?”
“I'm no longer your remnant, Sephiroth!” the other spat. Marlene gasped audibly, covering her mouth with her hand instantly.
“You will always be a part of me.” The warlord continued in his slow, deep voice. “To each of you I bestowed a part of myself. To Kadaj, my cruelty and natural leadership. To Yazoo, my calm collect and allure. And to you, Loz, I gave you my agility and strength - my physical power and violence. Can you tell me now that you have truly changed?”
“We only received those parts of you, because there was a little of them there in ourselves to begin with! This has nothing to do with you anymore! We are no longer yours to control at whim!”
“No?” Sephiroth said in a deadly whisper. His fist connected again with Loz's jaw and sent him flying back into a table. He grunted and heaved himself up again, slightly dizzy.
“Pathetic.” Sephiroth repeated, in disgust. “Just like the rest of your family.”
“W-What?!” Loz breathed, standing stock still. “What about my family?! What did you do to them you bastard?!”
“The girls were especially easy, but they put up more of a challenge. Your brothers, on the other hand…” his lips lifted into a cruel smirk. “They just charged me. Me tact, of course, and therefore no challenge. Quite a waste. But the girls… they at least played games with me until they met their end. None of them could tell me where you were. Very noble, very, very stupid of them, don't you think? At least you know now that they protected you to their beds. Your parents too. They were the first to die, trying to stand up to me. How feeble they looked, just as easy to kill.”
“No.” Loz stared, horrified. “NO! YOU BASTARD!” Thoughtlessly, he charged the other, filled with hatred and rage.
“And after telling you all of that-” Masamune flashed through the air menacingly. “-You still attempt to charge just as your brothers before you did.” Loz jumped over the swinging blade, launching forward to punch his enemy's solar plexus, only to be evaded, an elbow jabbing in between his shoulder blades and his quarry leapt back and atop a table.
“I'm not here to fight.” He purred. “Just tell me where they are.”
“W-Who?!” Loz panted, straightening up painfully.
“The other remnants.” Sephiroth's velvety voice continued. “Yazoo, Kadaj, and Yukio.”
“Yukio?” the other frowned, confusion creeping in. “Who?”
“Don't play dumb with me!” the warlord hissed. “He was here! He and his brother were both here, where are they?!”
“Ri… We don't know of any Yukio's here.” Loz argued, reaching his decision as realization set in. “And even if we di-”
“Insolence.” Sephiroth whispered, standing over the other's writhing form. “Tell me where the remnants are.” He said coldly, any pretense of kindness evaporated like mist. The unforgiving folded steel edge of Masamune was pressed up against Loz's neck.
“Don't call us that.” The broad man growled forcibly.
“I will call you as I wish. Now where are Kadaj and his little brother? My patience is running thin, don't try and test it.” His lips curled into a snarl. “And don't play the charades your family did. Don't think bravery will get you anywhere, for it will only lead to death.” Loz stared up calmly at the man he hated most in the world.
“Then kill me.” He breathed. “I harbor no-one here.”
“You speak lies again. Where is the Cetra?” Sephiroth asked, changing tactics.
“Cetra? Cetra?!” The younger man laughed shakily, his lungs screaming with the effort. “You killed her, you bastard. You killed the last Cetra.”
“I swore to eliminate them all, there need be only one.”
“You're delusional even still! You never were Cetra! Yoo-” a firm hand clamped around his neck, lifting him up and off his feet. Loz gave a strangled cry as, with a mere flick of the wrist, he was sent crashing into the bar. He lay, panting heavily, every bit of him aching.
“Now is not the time to get smart with me. I have been exceedingly patient with you, remnant. Now, you will tell me where she is. Or should I rather just start looking for her myself? I might flush her out by setting this place afire, it wouldn't be hard, covered in flammable alcohol as it is now.”
“You'll… do … no such thing. There's… no one… else here. No one… but me.” Loz spat through gritted teeth. “I augggggggggggh!” he screamed as Masamune pierced through his shoulder warningly.
“This sword can slice through steel, with a simple mistake it could slice through your heart.”
“But then I'd be of no further use to you, would I?” Loz grimaced, knowing this to be true.
“Do not fall under the false impression that you are something I'd lament being rid of. Your loss is insignificant to me.” Masamune rose with a sickening squelching sound and hovered poised above Loz's chest. Sephiroth drew back, both hands upon the blade.
“LOZ-NII-SAN!” a high pitched voice shrieked.
“Marlene!” the silver haired man gasped. “Get out of here! GO!” Sephiroth let his katana drop, its tip scratching into the floor, a crazed expression upon his face.
“And here she is.”
“That girl is no Cetra! She's just a child!” Loz protested, trying to run over to her. “Marlene, go!” But the brunette refused to turn, standing powerfully before her opponent. She wore a determined look, eyes narrowed, lips pressed into a thin line, expression set. Something vaguely familiar.
“No, Loz-nii-san.” She said rather calmly. From behind her back, she drew a tall mug of water she had filled from the tap in the kitchen. Sephiroth stared on quietly as she set it down between them.
“This isn't a game, Marlene!” he called desperately.
“I know. And I'm not playing either, nii-san.” She assured him. With a spiteful look towards the man that had been the source of fear for her entire life, she closed her eyes in concentration, her hands clapped together in what looked like a silent prayer. She could feel a surge of strength rise within her, stronger and more powerful than ever before. She could hear a faint, distant heartbeat that pulsed and grew closer and louder with every second. A calming warmth spread through her body, soothing her fears. And then, two hearts beat as one and she opened her eyes to rise and connect with catlike ones of the same color. Between them a shining, sparkling wall had formed, thick spirals of water coursing up its length. Unnatural green and turquoise teardrops drew together, wrapping together with greater force and speed as they pulled together into a vortex, continuing to spin until it formed a solid orb.
“I… I killed you.” Sephiroth faltered, staring disbelievingly at Marlene. She smiled softly, almost with pity, her skin holding a rosier hue, her eyes rather than being chocolate brown, were a light emerald green. Ghost like bangles hung on her wrists, her simple white dress glowed pink as if a spotlight shone upon it. Her visage had changed entirely, making her look older, wiser; the Aerith that everyone had come to love and respect.
“Perhaps, but you never could kill my soul.” Two spoke as one and the orb beyond the barrier exploded, tendrils of twisted water snaked around the building. Loz glowed briefly as the cooling sensation washed over him, restoring his health. The girl bridged her hands together and pushed them outwards at the barrier, which materialized into bullet-like beads of water and pelted towards Sephiroth. He froze, lips slightly parted, as the holy water seared through his skin and disappeared. The spell was weak enough to have only minimal effect on him. He shook his head, tears cascading from long silken tresses, pooling on the floor. Marlene rushed to Loz's side.
“Loz! Nii-san! Are you okay?” she asked worriedly.
“Much… much better now, thanks, imouto-chan.” He panted appreciatively. “That was cool. But… ya gotta get out of here. I'll take care of him.”
“Will you now?” Sephiroth asked jeeringly as Marlene ushered a gasp. A dark leather clad hand clamped over her shoulder, drawing her small frame sharply to his legs. Her still green eyes widened in fear, trembling as she tried to lower Masamune from across her neck. The warlord shook her hard, pressing the steel closer into her jaw.
“LET HER GO!” Loz screamed, rising to his feet.
“Upon what charges?” the elder man demanded. “I won't relinquish her on a mere whim, understand that. She is a Cetra and I swore to myself I'd be the only one. Or perhaps you've forgotten? The scientists from Shin-ra discovered within the Northern Crater our Mother - a 2000 year old being that belonged to a race that once ruled this planet that were known as the Ancients, or Cetra. The Cetra were blessed with deep spiritual powers that could communicate with this planet, and long life. When Crisis struck the planet, some of the Cetra fled from the danger, leaving the rest to die whilst saving the planet. The cowardly Cetra were the ancestors of humanity. Those who still remained Cetra were entitled to the Promised Land, our final resting place. Shin-ra, in their conquest for power, assumed that the Promised Land would be full of Mako energy. Through this greed, our Mother's cells were transmitted to me, delegating me as the last true Cetra, heir to this planet. And the rest of the filth that live here should be exterminated and the planet returned to it's rightful owner.”
“But a child?” Loz asked quietly. “What difference will one child make?”
“One child?” Sephiroth countered, crazed. “Is that all you see? One child?”
“Are you such a megalomaniac that you fear even children?!”
Fear? I fear no one and nothing. Do you not understand? One child will grow into one adult, which will fester and infect others with dreams of grandeur. One child can become one powerful enemy. You forget, we were all children once. I was a child once. Cloud Strife was a child once. And see what we've become. I killed the flower maiden because she prayed for Holy, and did you not just see her manifest before us? Of the threat this one child bears?”
“What are you saying?” Loz whispered, mortified.
“Where is Yukio Nonaka?” the warlord asked harshly, drawing Marlene back sharply.
“I don't know.” The younger man said truthfully, shaking his head. “I-”
“Your loss then.” Sephiroth said unsympathetically as he drew the blade up and against the young girl's neck. Loz heard himself gasp audibly, extending a hand out, reaching for something, anything, that would take back what he'd seen. And even though he could hear nothing, he could still feel a sickening lurch in his chest as her body hit the floor, lifeless, a scarlet ribbon of blood streaming down her neck and pooling on the floor, matting in her hair. He could feel the vibrations of the thick combat boots strike the hardwood as his torturer strode away. He could feel the despair and disbelief shake him down to his very soul, detached and separate. This was not happening. This wasn't real. No, no, no
He stood, numbly, not even feeling his own feet or seeing where they went. Marlene lay on the floor like a marionette that was cut from her strings, legs curled beneath her body. Chocolate orbs stared, as if encased in glass, blankly to the backmost corner of the bar, unseeing. Still warm cheeks held a rosy hue, looking more and more like a painted porcelain face by the minute. There was a pulse, almost like a ripple. A flash of green light filled the room. It happened so fast.
The water that lay upon the floor gleaned with the ethereal light of the Lifestream and the small girl lifted up into the air, eyes closing softly, a tear slipping down the sides of her face. Spirals of strand-like water rose and cradled her body, her hands clasped upon her chest, hair unbraided and flowing in the Lifestream's caress. Sephiroth had paused in the doorway, one foot upon the steps, and a hand on the doorframe as he watched silently, in shock. Even in death, the child looked peaceful and angelic, and as she came to rest upon the floor once more, skin unmarred by blood, the clouds parted slightly and tears fell from the sky. With a snort of disgust, the warlord stared with an unreadable expression towards the seemingly sleeping girl, turned on his heel and disappeared. There was the sound of falling crates as Denzel crawled from his compartment, quietly cursing the barrel of alcohol that had been rolled over the only entrance and exit to ensure his safe keeping. A staggered sob caught his attention, and he turned to see the bulky silver haired man hunched over his adopted sister.
“I sorry Marlene.” Loz wept, wiping stray hair from her small oval face. “I let you down, I'm sorry.” He peered outside pleadingly at the sky. The rain now pelted the city, dousing the flames. Thick, congested black clouds drifted away through the damp air. This wasn't Aerith's rain of healing, but one of lament. “I've let you down too, Miss.” He chocked. “I'm sorry, I'm really trying… I… I wasn't good enough. I froze up… I… I let her die!” He doubled over, consumed by grief. And even though he could no longer see through his tears, could no longer hear; he was faintly aware of Denzel dropping to the ground opposite him, and something that felt like a warm consoling hand upon his shoulder.
 
 
“Man! I'm so hungry I could eat a cow!” Kadaj complained as his stomach growled in protest for what seemed to be the fiftieth time that hour.
“Kraw?” Steven asked curiously, nosing under the teen's elbow.
“No, leave me alone, you retarded beast!” Kadaj yelped, pulling away from the bird as he led Floyd by the reins. The small group of five were now walking through the streets, with their chocobos in pursuit. “I said cow, not chicken!”
“He's not a chicken!” Yuffie frowned, rising to the bird's defense. “Just `cause you don't like him all that much…”
“Nevermind. Forget cows and chocobos. I could eat Yuffie I'm so hungry.” The teen persisted, eyeing the ninja morbidly. “I reckon' it's the only way to shut her up. What say you, Vincent?”
“Uh, I don-” the man began, caught off guard.
“Fine!” Yuffie huffed, glaring moodily at the silver tressed teen. “If we're gonna start being cannibals then I elect we eat Vincent!”
“Why would y-?” the man in question shot her a strange look.
“He's not like wine! He doesn't get better with age!” Kadaj snorted.
“He'd be pretty good if he did.” Riku laughed quietly.
“WHO WANTS TO SEE ME EAT VINCENT?!” Yuffie screamed, smiling triumphantly as the brothers blanched, understanding where she was going originally. Passersby on the streets shot them strange glances and hurried past.
“Nobody is eating anybody.” Vincent muttered, his cheeks tinged a deep ruddy scarlet. “We're nearing a tavern. We can have a good meal and bed down there for the night.”
“Sweet!” the elder teen whooped.
“Is there room service?” Yuffie quipped. “And little water buckets and little soaps and shampoos infused with lavender and little-”
“And little room service maids with little rockin' bodies!” Kadaj grinned broadly, wrapping an arm around his younger brother's shoulders.
“You really have a one-track mind, don't you?” Riku asked, bemused.
“Eh, well…” his brother cocked an eyebrow. “You can't honestly say you weren't thinking the same thing.”
“Well, honestly, I wasn't.” the Keybearer said slowly. He smiled at the other. “But I sure as Hell am now.”
WHUMP! Yuffie smacked them both respectively over the heads. “How degrading! Don't you talk about women like that! I hope the maids are ugly, just to spite you!”
Degrading?! I wasn't the one talking just three seconds ago about how Vincent-” Kadaj protested.
“And that's all we need to hear.” The other man said quickly, ushering them along. The ninja at his side stuck her tongue out at Kadaj when her beau wasn't looking.
“Hey Vince?” she whined sweetly.
Oh no, what now? “Hmn?”
“Can we shop around a little bit?”
“I think -”
“Awesome! Love ya! Bye!” she chirped, pecking him on the cheek and racing off through the crowd to a station of tents.
“Awe, Christ!” the oldest teen spat. “I guess that means we'll have to follow her then?” Vincent nodded. The other two groaned and let themselves be dragged off to find the hyperactive ball of sarcasm and joy. When the crowd around them grew thick enough, Riku felt a tug on his sleeve and he followed his brother away to another group of tents. Kadaj was snickering to himself as he lashed Floyd's reins to a pole, taking October from his brother and tying him up as well. The two giant birds chirped happily, nuzzling against their owners before bending over to drink from a trough.
“Someone has a soft spot for pink fluffy animals.” Riku said dryly.
“Shut up! I do not!” his brother blushed, giving him a rueful look. “Floyd is just… ” What was he going to say? He was fun? He was nice? “…Misunderstood. It's not his fault he's frikken' bubblegum pink.” He finished lamely.
“Misunderstood, riiight.” The younger teen nodded. “And October is suffering from manic depression.” He said very seriously.
“Oi! Shut it you!” the katana user vented, disgruntled. And suddenly something bright and shiny caught his unnatural catlike eyes. “Hey, Riku look!” he whispered excitedly.
“I see a tent Kadaj. It's brown and has weird fruit hanging from it.” His brother said plainly.
“Not that tent. That one!” He pointed to the tent beside it, this one with a yellow awning, stockpiled with apples and watermelon on one side, and wood carvings, knives, and jewelry on the other.
“The one with nobody… oh no.” Riku stopped mid-sentence. But Kadaj was already halfway across the lane, looking around as nonchalantly as he could muster. “You are NOT! Get back here!” the Keybearer whispered harshly, an edge of desperation in his voice. But he knew well enough, there was no stopping his brother now. He sighed wearily, striding over to the applecart, knowing he'd regret this later. Looking up, he suddenly froze, forgetting entirely he was standing in the middle of the street.
Kadaj grinned to himself, looking over his prey. It was perfect. No one was anywhere near here, it was all too easy. Spying a particularly succulent looking fruit, he reached for it, fingers curled. WHAP! Flat, cold steel rapped against the back of his hand smartly. Nervously, he pulled his gaze slowly from the dagger to the eyes of a fierce woman.
“And what exactly are we doing, hmn?” she asked venomously.