Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Break in Character ❯ Farewell to my happiness ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The joy in Irvine's chest was fluttering rapidly, as he strolled along the streets of Deling. It was a perfect day. Better night. He had fun with his old friends, his Galbadian gardenmates, and some of the friends he'd made when attending classes at Balamb.

He was pleased with the night because he learned that Squall has adorable 'Pillow Talk'. Irvine was amazed that someone could be sexy and still have a cute side that didn't make one gag at the same time. Squall Leonhart is truly a marvel. He began to whistle a tune to level out his joy. Too much joy could make a person tipsy. But, he couldn't help it! All those years having gone unnoticed, even as the four year first place holder for archery, Squall noticed him this year and complimented him for it. He was amazed that he could shoot more than a gun, and that he could throw darts so well. Squall called him a mystery. Maybe for him, but Irvine could boast - - and has - - that if there is a target, and something with which he can use to hit it, he will always get his mark.

Squall also confessed into the pale blue room that he has a like of cooking, and wanted to learn beyond Garden's tutelage. In the kindly tit-for-tat conversation, he told Squall that he'd always wanted to master all instruments, but only ever got the hang of strings. And that he'd like to travel more, to which Squall agreed to the same.

It was all so calm and perfect there in that private world, that it lingered even then. The bubble was so silencing that he wasn't able to hear the approaching footsteps before it happened...

"Kinneas!" Called a muffled voice before something was whispered in his ear.

The first strike landed on his gut, knocking the wind out of him. He doubled over as if he was casually in the midst of picking up dropped gil. He didn't get low enough, because at 45 degrees over he was suddenly jolted upright after receiving an uppercut beneath the chin. When he fell to his butt, they were all over him! Three, no, five guys each taking a turn to punch, kick, or yank some part of his body. His responses were heavily delayed in the assault because when he struck out at one he was already being hit by another! It was a sad sight to behold. Worse to go through.

The entire beating took a total of seven minutes. Seven short minutes... But, the memory will last for years. They not only beat him up, but they humiliated him physically and emotionally. Irvine was left alone briefly, his attackers catching their breath as their adrenaline calmed. It was then that he'd felt his jeans come undone. They wouldn't...!? Would they?

He pleaded with a small, frightened voice.. "Please, no. Please, don't rape me." Tears streamed down his face through swollen eyelids.

Irvine opened his eyes to the present time, his empty gaze stared at the ceiling of a hospital room.

"You fags make me sick," spat the voice in his memory, he can still feel the moisture of the flecks that hit him during the crude declaration. "You think everyone wants your gross asses. Don't make us laugh."

They had yanked down his jeans to embarrass him, nothing more. It was a miracle, in a way. But, the words that left an impact came next...

"And if I ever find you doing anything queer with Squall again, it's gonna be his turn... And it will make this look like a freepass fun day at a theme park."

Whomever did this... they know about his relationship with Squall, and they are not fans. Irvine can't bare the thought of "worse" happening to Squall. Not if he can help it. He has to find out who did it. He has to protect Squall, and himself. Until then, he...

'But... Can I really just stop being with him?' His swollen eye painfully teared up, and the other that's slightly bruised freely released tears. 'We were so careful.. How did they find out?' He sniffles. 'Don t cry, Kinneas. You have to be strong.'

"Oh, you're awake," a nurse greeted him brightly. "You have visitors, are you up for it?"

Irvine was sure that he wasn't, but seeing them hurrying towards the room through the peek in the blinds, he nodded. Wiping his tears with scraped up hands, he put on a smile, wincing when his slightly healed lip split to bleed. "Hi!"

"Listen at this guy, "hi"," Zell balked. "Were you not just mangled?" He rubbed his arm after receiving a punch from Seifer.

"Irvy, who did this?" Selphie was the second to stand beside his bed before she hopped up to the height to sit down. "I'll make them pay."

Irvine smiled. "My heroine. But I don't know who did it."

"Not even an inkling?" Asked Quistis, her blue eyes carefully assessed his external injuries.

"I counted five of 'em... They wore masks."

Zell, still fired up with anger, he questioned. "How did you get this worked over? Didn't you fight back at all?"

"Zell?!" Warned the girls.

"As soon as you're released, I'm gonna teach you some basics, you've been hiding behind a gun for too long." He threw some punched at the air. "No one messes with my friends."

"Zell, I can fight fine enough, but.. they snuck up on me and used Slow. What could I do, my movements were delayed, and I wasn't junctioned." He shrugged out his hand. It was as simple as that.

"They were one of ours?"

All heads turned towards the door at the sound of Cid Kramer's voice.

Irvine gave a nod, feeling suddenly very exposed when Matron walked in with her husband. He doesn't want her to see him like this. He didn't mind so much with his friends, they've been in combat together, but Matron.. He kind of liked to appear dependable. "Yeah. I heard the spell right after one of them called my attention."

""Dispicable! And right after we were working our way towards a peaceful reconcile." Cid touched Irvine's bruised chin turning his head this way and that to get a good look. "This cannot go unpunished. We have to find the rogues who'd done it."

"Yes." Agreed Edea.

"Excuse me? Are you Mr. Kinneas's parents?"

"I am." Matron declared with ease. Though it's been a long time, her motherly feelings for the children have and would never dissipate.

"Right this way, please." The doctor lead the couple from the room.

"Can I get you anything?" Selphie asked the laid up sniper.

"Some water," he suddenly had a cup thrusts at him from his remaining silent secret boyfriend. "Thanks." He drank it with haste, and the second helping that was given to the emptied plastic cup.

"I can't believe someone from Garden would do this.." Zell's voice carried into the hall before the Kramers and doctor Resner were out of earshot from the chatter.

The doctor led Mr. and Mrs. Kramer aside to speak privately with them. "I wanted to respect the young man's privacy, because the question is sensitive in subject."

Edea gave a single nod for the doctor to go on, and that she was listening to her.

"Is he openly gay?"

Edea blinked as though warer had been flicked in her eyes. "Irvine? No. This is the first I'm hearing of it." She looked to her husband wondering if he knew.

"No for me, too. Why do you ask?"

"He was found in a state of exposure; however, when we checked him for rape we found that he'd recently had sex... It was consensual. Unless the attacker was kind enough to be gentle, which looking at his bruises is unlikely. But, I didn't want to assume anything before asking. He's been unconscious the entire time."

Edea took the statement in. "Are you saying that this was a hate crime, because someone discovered Irvine is a homosexual?"

"That's a possibility. There is also a chance he was left exposed to avoid receiving help for his injuries right away. In society we only know women as victims, and rush to their aid no matter what state they are in. With men, you could merely be perceived as a deviant trying to get his kicks off of flashing, or just a guy being a guy getting into scrapes, but not a victim."

Edea shut her eyes as if to shield them from some ugly vision that just conjured up from the doctor's description. How disgusting. Disrespectful. Hateful... Her husband was correct, this would not go unpunished. But, it would, if they can't identify the culprits.

"Your son is in the military, yes?" She asked. "We saw it on his ID. He's free to go, if you want to cure him. We ran all tests, internally there was benign light bruising, but he will be perfectly fine with normal rest. And with your techniques, I assume he'll be one hundred percent." Doctor Resner knows that magic is a wonder. In the right circumstances it can reverse death! But, if Irvine was a normal civilian, it would be harmful to him instead of helpful. Para-magic is something that the body must train to accept. Otherwise it creates more pain and at times results in a mental break.

"We will be back tomorrow, right now we're civilian." Cid replied. Although, he's never been able to use para-magic. But he's sure that one of the kids will do so to help their friend.

The doctor nodded. "I'm sorry this had to happen. But, we'll take very good care of, Mr. Kinneas."

"Thank you." Edea shook the woman's hand.

She remained in the hall speaking to her husband when the doctor departed for the patient's room. "I have to check your vitals, Mr. Kinneas, so I'm going to need to ask that your friends leave, they can come back tomorrow." She said to the collective groans. "He'll be released tomorrow. Have a good night."

"Bye, Irvine." Selphie said reluctantly.

"Later, bud." Zell followed her departure.

Quistis departed after a nod. Seifer lingered for a moment, his eyes on Squall then he walked out.

Squall finally found his voice, and said. "I'll be back tomorrow. Get some rest."

"I will." Replied Irvine. He waved good bye.

...

Squall stood before a vending machine, glaring at his reflection in the shock-proof glass. Seifer watched this, then with a sigh he walked over and tapped the reader and coin slot. "You can't intimidate snacks from the machine. It takes money."

"I know."

"I know that you know. I just wanted to get you to talk." He swiped his card through the reader and extracted a pack of cookies that dropped into the bin after he pressed the button to select them. Eating two, one after the other, he offered the bag over to Squall who ignored it outright. "No? Suit yourself. Ya know, women say sugar helps with 'problems'."

Squall, with a scowl on his lips, glared at Seifer; his relaxed posture and attitude were only adding to his pissed-off state. Releasing a sigh, he then asked. "When did Irvine tell you?"

Satisfied, he crumpled the emptied bag, keeping a hold of it as he spoke. "He didn't. And you didn't either, so wipe the pale off your face, Leonhart." He chuckled seeing how much that further annoyed Squall. He was so easy to rile up. He was an agitator's delight. "I figured it out all on my own. Did you forget you're dealing with a 'lover'?"

"A "lover"? More like deranged and overly imaginative... You should focus more on yourself, instead of daydreaming other's lives."

"Uh-huh." Seifer shrugged out his hand. "I told you before, you can come and talk to me Puberty Boy. I know relationships, and I am accurate in what I suspect."

"You're pushing it." He walked away from the machine towards the hospital, he planned to stay overnight in the waiting room. He didn't expect the unwanted pestering Seifer to be at his heels. "What?!"

"Seriously... talk to me. I know you're shitting yourself wanting to let it out."

A stare down ensued between them, then Squall finally caved. He must be losing his touch. Damned love, making him a harmless reversed blade rather than lethal. He waved Seifer to follow him over to the bench placed outside of the building.

Lowering his voice, he says. "This stays between us."

"I've kept it to myself all this time," came a rather chic reply from Seifer.

"How did you know - - aside from being a twip?"

"Ha ha. It was the way Kinneas nearly gave himself a concussion running out of the dorm. If the automatic door was any slower with responding to his approach he'd of been in the hospital a lot sooner than now." Seeing the blank expression on Squall's face, he added. "No one is that pumped for a mission. But the real telling evidence came from Selphie."

"Selphie?" Great. The whole Garden knows, if she knows.

"She told me, during a phone call, that you've been absent from the cafeteria and eating in your room lately. Funny thing was Irvine was doing much of the same. It was so obvious then."

"Does Selphie know?"

"She thinks it's because you've been missing me, she doesn't have a clue." Giving a nod to nudge the conversation forward, he asked. "When did you two get so thick?"

"You remember that Sadne concert earlier this year?"

"No."

Squall tempered his urge to be visibly baffled by that, and continued. "We were both there, seated beside each other, next thing I know... we were all over each other and staying in a hotel room."

"You're more bold than I give you credit for, maybe we don't need that Birds-and-bees talk, Puberty Boy," he laughed when Squall threw a punch at him, which he dodged.

"Nothing happened, we kissed and kept it at that. We thought it would be a bad idea." He shrugged his shoulder. "It was hard to drop the feeling though, for both of us. I can admit it now, I'm attracted to him. And he's attracted to me."

Seifer could see that. He'd easily admit it to anyone that his friends are good-looking. Not as good-looking as him, but they are up there amongst average good-looks.

"We were going to tell everyone, but not before we established if we wanted a relationship or just physical interest."

Seifer threw his head back and laughed. "You are young to the field. "Physical interest", that's really cute, Leonhart."

"Shut up, Seifer." Squall blew out an exasperated huff. "And while we're on the subject of closeness, why'd the hospital call you?"

Seifer shrugged. "Pfft, hell if I know - - oh, you know what, Irvine and I have each other as emergency contacts, if Matron can't be reached." She is the headmistress of Galbadia Garden, that's a busy job with clients contacting you, reports to read over, statistics to work through. Discipline to dole out. With a teasing voice one might use to trick a kid who won't eat their veggies, he added. "I go to Galbadia now, remember?"

'Smug bastard.' Thought Squall, though less peeved than before about it. For some reason he'd taken it personal, logic didn't bother to set in that it would be ridiculous to have an emergency contact who is nowhere around you.

"What are we gonna do about..." He nodded towards the hospital.

"We find them before Matron and headmaster Cid." Venom dripped from his unspoken words.

"I'm all for that!"

Had they been cartoons, Squall and Seifer were sure their hearts would exagerantly be shown pounding within their chest like its trying to escape. And they'd be ghostly white due to Zell suddenly joining their conversation. How long had he been lurking in the shadows?

"You were talking about those jerks who jumped Irvine, right?" He dropped onto the bench between the pair, who exchanged looks over his head. "We're gonna get revenge?"

"Alright Pocket monster, how long were you listening?"

"Somewhere between you go to Galbadia and Squall saying we're gonna find them. So, where do we start?" He rubbed his weapons together in anticipation of action.

Squall wasn't so sure. He still wanted time alone to talk to Irvine, but he supposed it would have to wait.

In the patient's room. Irvine smiled at a pretty black nurse checking the stitches under the bandage on his swollen eye. She's got a beauty mark just beneath her left ear to be visible, pretty pink lips covered only in gloss, big brown eyes that squinted a smile at him when she'd walked in. Ever the flirt, he said casually. "My eye must be getting better, I can see your beauty a mile away."

The nurse laughed in good-nature. Her own husband isn't that corny - - not even when they were teens. "I can tell you're feeling better, if your senses can be that cheesy after such an ordeal." He had been beaten badly enough to had blacked out from it.

Irvine felt embarrassed, suddenly clamping his subconscious habit. He waited through her checkup before speaking again. "So like, I blacked out, right? You're sure nothing happened to me... afterwards?"

The nurse blinked, momentarily confused, she then checked her chart. "Nothing. Our tests are very accurate. It revealed that you had consensual sex, about 30 minutes prior to the assault."

Relieved, Irvine repositioned himself in the bed. "Nurse? You won't tell anybody?"

Nodding, she replied. "The doctor and myself know. I don't know if she told your parents, but you can ask her tomorrow morning." Waving with her fingers, she said. "You rest. You'll be free to leave after your breakfast."

With a nod, Irvine tucked himself in and fought tears until he drifted to sleep.

The next day.

"You're a popular patient," commented the nurse from last night. "So early, but already you have a visitor."

Irvine smiled happily when Squall walked into the room. It was as if the sun declared only for Irvine, everyone else could work through a Bika Field cold snap. "Morning."

"I'll bring your tray." She departed.

"Competition." Irvine joked half-heartedly. For all his happiness, last night played through his mind again. Those damning words. Being with Squall right now was fine. Easy. Harmless. No one is in his room, or even knows which one he's in to be spying. He can have this private moment unfettered.

"You sure about that?" He leaned over and kissed him tenderly on his now healed split lip. Sitting down on the chair beside the bed, he assessed the injuries once again. Committing them to memory to pay back what is owed twice over.

"Hmm... what nurse?" He smiled falsely. "I wasn't robbed. So, that's a plus."

"Is it? If they didn't beat you up for money, that means it was personal."

"But, why?" He shrugged. "I haven't done anything." He played along in the mystery. Glad that the perpetrators kept their word of leaving Squall out of it, if his lesson was learned that the commander was a taboo better left untouched.

"Unfortunately for some people just being from Galbadia is enough." Growled Squall. "I can't believe how immature some people can be."

Irvine listened quietly. 'Am I being immature by listening to their threats? It wouldn't be wrong to tell them to pick a finger... But...'

"Right. The other reason I'm here." He got up from his seat on the chair beside the bed, he casts the spell for Cure onto the patient.

Irvine watched the flashing lights swirl about him, and with a belligerent look, he asked. "Curaga?"

"I like to be thorough."

"Too bad there ain't a spell for hair care," he combed his fingers through the loose bed-head. His hair tie is long lost to somewhere under the clock tower.

"You look good," Squall stated plainly.

""Good"? I need show-stopping, I'm going back to bed."

Squall smiled, glad Irvine could joke around. Yanking the blanket away from the mock Ugly Duckling, he lowered his hand to the floor and handed his boyfriend a bag. "Seifer got you a change of clothes."

Irvine rifled through the bag, removing the attire. White long-shorts and a cranberry tank. Wouldn't have been his first choice of singles combination, but, he can sport anything with ease. At least they matched his sneakers from yesterday.

"We can stop for breakfast somewhere in town."

Irvine paused while slipping on his tank. Eat out. As in be seen in public. Pulling the top down, he said in a quiet tone. "I'm more interested in getting back to Garden than eating. How 'bout another time?"

"Okay." He headed for the door. "You just have to sign the discharge papers."

"Squall?"

"Hmm?"

Irvine pulled him to him, then kissed him sweetly on the lips. Eternally long enough that the sky would fall first before it would end, however, sensibly, it was just gentle, sweet, and as long as necessary.

Squall was quite pleased with it, not knowing the deeper meaning behind it.

The pair left the patient wing then made for the lobby, where Irvine signed himself out. He then called Matron from his phone outside saying he was coming back. Unfortunately... Only half of him would actually be there, as a part of him died inside knowing each step moved him farther away from the joy in his world. Squall.