Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Break in Character ❯ Hold my hand to keep me steady ( Chapter 21 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Rewind...

"Hey?!" Seifer grabbed Zell by the shoulder and spun him around. His fist came into view for a split second before it went flying at the shorter blond. Unfortunately, it didn't make it to it's destination.

Zell expertly dodged it, then swung back, and landed a hit to Seifer's side. "Next time, I'll put force behind it." He forewarned. "What's wrong with you? Attacking me like that... You gonna turn into one of those sucker-punch assholes, too?"

"Wrong with me. What's wrong with you?" He crossed his arms over his chest. "I thought you said you understood, and don't care that Irvine is bi. Suddenly you wanna call him some shower-pervert,"

Zell blinked, momentarily confused. An impish grin spread across his face, and his posture became cocky. "I'm a better actor than I'd thought."

In an unintended impersonation of his best female friend, Fuujin, the ex-knight said. "Explain."

And he had. To Seifer. The martial artist couldn't tell Squall because the temperamental lion was a ghost after that. And, presently, with the way the Squall was eyeballing him like prey that he wanted to skin alive, when he finally did see him around the building, Zell thought it was best that he keep his mouth shut. He's frightened about catching a beat-down, sure, especially now that he knows it's Squall whom Irvine has taken as a lover. But, he remained closed-mouthed towards telling the angered commander because it would only ensnare Ferris, but not the others. Squall would act before thinking.

And they need all guilty parties. He just hoped the wiry-loser pulled through to stereotype, believing that there's power in numbers. And with that thought, he'd bring the gang right out into the open.

...

Squall immediately went to the training center to blow off steam. He didn't expect it would bother him so much, if one of his friends was against his and Irvine's relationship. But Zell!? Those words coming from someone, he'd never admit to out loud but to himself, he considered as his best friend was just rude. Why say you're fine with it, then act like an asshole in the next breath? Squall supposed if they remain friends the topic could be non-existent when they're all together. Hyne knows his relationship was his business insofar as the fine details, but outwardly he wanted his best friends to be cool with it. For those bragging days, when he might wanna vent his happiness.

He's dating Irvine, that in life proves anything can happen to a person's usual character. Even a persona needs a break.

'Did he figure out that I'm the one dating Irvine, and that pissed him off?' He wondered. Removing his gunblade from the monster SIM's skull, the agitated lion let out a frustrated growl. Not even destroying a horde of Death Claws could quell his embittered state. 'Why is it such a bother for people on my end but no one else's? Why the hell am I so special? I bleed. Can't I love, too?'

Finally deciding to call it quits after burning the legs off a Grand Mantis, the angry commander decided to seek out some justice. Maybe he could change Zell's opinion? Get him to see that it's nothing unusual, worrisome, or scary. It's just two guys deeply caring about each other beyond friendship. Why is that bad?

He checked his watch. Free period for him, but Zell would be in... 'Tracking.'

He left the training area, then headed up to the second floor to wait for the class to end. He couldn't let him escape, because he noticed he's been avoiding him. And after being brushed-off by Irvine, the activity was growing on his nerves. He finally wanted to be around others, and now they want to be the walled-in troupe.

"I like Galbadia in every way - - except for the food." The rogue martial artist was saying to a female Galbadian cadet. "For that reason, I'm charged to get back to Balamb." They exited the classroom practically together through the opened door.

"I know how you feel. I was hurting for Galb' when I first used Balamb's training center."

Zell shot her a confused glance. "Seriously?"

"Zell, we need to talk." Squall said; a part of him was a bit satisfied when seeing his friend's skeleton when it jumped out of his skin. Zell deserved the scare for being insensitive.

"Hyne, Squall. You scared the shit out of me." He noticed his friend's lips were moving while he was expressing his calming fear. "Huh?"

"I said "We need to talk", now, if possible." He doesn't know if Zell has another class coming up or not. He only knew about this one because he'd seen him go into the classroom the day before.

"I.. uh, right now? That's gonna be a no-can-do. I have History. Gotta love that Lifestream, Ancients babble." He gave a dry, nervous laugh. "Oh, but, I do have free time at 5:12 pm. If you wanna meet me at the rink, we can talk there."

Squall squinted at the odd location and time, but nodded in agreement to meet then and there. He needed to get going to make it to his class which, thankfully, is with Irvine. His boyfriend might be dodging him, but at least he gets to see him, since it's unavoidable.

The sniper looked happier than he has been the past few weeks. Squall was happy seeing the content smile on his face. He's talking to a friend as all three of them approached the classroom entrance. He wanted to ask Irvine how did it go in the headmistress's office? But seeing his gaze look away, he instead shoved past the pair into the classroom.

'He's doing it to protect me.' Squall repeated that in his head. He can't start to get mad at Irvine for ignoring him. Not now when he knows the reason why, thanks to help from Seifer. 'For protection…' He lowered his eyes and waited for his boyfriend to pass by and take a seat behind him, before raising them to look up at the writing-screen behind the instructor. 'Protection, my ass. Am I so weak?! Maybe… Maybe I really was just some conquest to him. He could have anyone.. why not go after the person who wants no one?' He pinched the bridge of his nose. 'Stop it, Leonhart, this is exactly what those creeps want. Irvine doesn't see me as a belt notch, he's just an idiot.' He nodded to affirm his understanding.

"Mr. Leonhart, number sixteen, please." Asked the instructor picking out the cadet who was clearly not paying much attention.

However, with a quick glance, Squall typed the correct answer along with showing his work. The info appeared on the board for everyone to see.

"Very good, I guess not all cadets need to have laser focus." He moved on to the next question.

Squall moved on to the next distraction. How to convince Zell to not be so close-minded.

…..

Zell swayed from foot-to-foot as he waited for Ferris to show up. This was it. The finale of antagonism towards his friends. He's glad he gets to help. It really got under his skin that the pair kept it a secret. Are they not friends? Would they not understand? But, he supposed if he thought about it later, it would make sense. It will still hurt, but it will make sense.

His swaying turned into shadow boxing. The anticipation was getting him pumped. And hopefully Squall will show up without fail, so he can get back on the pissed-off lion's good side.

"Zell? Zell, over here!" called a voice in a shouted whisper.

The traitor-in-disguise looked about then spotted Ferris in the corner of the room by the penalty box, beckoning him with his voice and hand. He felt a little let down seeing only the liar bully. But, he was sure he'd nail the others under the right, and left, persuasion. He cracked his knuckles before going over to him.

"Are you alone?" Ferris asked.

"For the past twelve minutes. Didn't you see me standing there, why didn't you call to me sooner?"

"I had to be sure you weren't followed." He took a seat. "I wanna get started on the next plan of action." He scoffed. "Irvine had the nerve to meet up with Squall in secret, said Squall won't let him break up. How pathetic can the guy be to get bossed into staying as someone's fuck-buddy?" His face twisted into an expression of pure hatred. "Asshole probably thinks he's so good at it, because of it."

Zell squinted in anger, but he bit his tongue. "You really harbor a lot of hate. Did some fag do something to you?"

"What? No! I'd kill him if he even tried it." He ran a hand through his hair as though it was a way to smooth out his feelings. He needn't be so angry over a simple question. The others had asked as well as told. "I just don't like the look of it. The whole idea is disgusting. Whoever told them they could go-against-the-grain? Why not start fucking animals too."

Zell and Ferris turned when hearing applause. The martial artist felt his pulse hasten.

'There were five of them total, but I only see three.. Where's the fourth guy?' He wondered.

"Couldn't have put it better." Weston declared. "Tch. I remember my first gay." He sat on an empty space on the bleachers. "My dad took me to the grocery store with him, and some queer hit on him - - right there in front of me! I was so confused, more so when my dad explained it to me."

"I wish mine was that simple." Said another guy. His dark eyes were very defined against his platinum blond hair.

"Zell, this is Weston, Jonah, and Javier." Ferris introduced. "Guys, this is Zell."

He waved, and they greeted with a scatter of verbal reply.

"So, you were saying?" Zell encouraged the story.

"When I was thirteen, my best friend confessed to me." Jonah shuddered. "Uuuugh! If you guys could have seen what a shy piece of crap he turned into right then…"

Javier told them a similar story, only his happened last year. A guy near a bar in Dollet said he was cute, pinched his ass, then told him he didn't have to be scared.

"I just think it's wrong. My ma and pa taught me better than that. It's immoral." Lied the undercover martial artist. "I only wish I was there to bash that sneaky loser right in his face. I'd even stomp on his crotch, since he lives without it mentally anyway."

The foursome laughed.

'Sorry, Irvine. Sorry mom and dad.' He could feel a dark cloud forming over him to punish him for the lies. It was like cursing the three of them just by sullying their imagine in imagined scenarios.

Weston clapped his hands giving a hoot. "And you study martial arts. Shit, Zell, you'd of really drove the point home that night. Irvine might have left Galbadia altogether."

Ferris chortled. He would have loved that.

"Yeah." Zell blinked. "Weston? I thought you were good friends with Irvine, I see you two hanging out often enough."

"We were. That was until I heard Ferris cursing him out for being with Squall during the Garden Games."

"I'm lucky Weston was on my side, I didn't even realize I'd said anything out loud."

'I hope you're getting all this.' He thought.

"If we get more cadets, we might really get him, and any other closeted freak, to leave." The ring leader dreamed out loud.

Javier noticed something just then. "Where's Quinn?" He asked. "She should be here."

Jonah shook his head. "Her roommate said she went home. Her parents came and got her."

Concerned, Ferris said softly. "Musta been a death in the family. But, it doesn't matter. We've got Zell now. He's super close with Irvine. We can really get under his skin now."

"You know it!" Zell stood from his seat. "And, there's power in numbers, right?" He pointed over his shoulder with his thumb. "I invited some guys. Sorry for not checking if it was cool or not first."

Ferris waved it off. "It's cool. Who are they?"

"You might know them already," he whistled. "Guys, meet Seifer, Fuujin, Raijin, and Squall. My buddies."

The four entered from the locker room where they hid and listened.

"The only thing missing in Galbadia, is a good Displinary Committee." The ex-knight's friends gave a nod. "We're not gonna hurt you a lot." Seifer informed. "Just enough to make you really unhappy." A sinister grin spread across his mouth.

Glaring at Zell, the ring leader growled. "You lying…" He began but his words were met with a brick posing as Squall's fist.

By the end of the brawl Javier, Jonah, Weston, and Ferris were brought up to the headmistress's office, missing callousness in their behavior, one had a broken nose, and all were sporting purple blotches of wounds that went deep into the tissue. But, before they were shoved through the doors all evidence was erased with a Cure. But a Cure can't mind. Something they had instilled in Irvine, and would from then on know first-hand.

Despite the four ratting on the brawl, the Kramers didn't believe them. There was no evidence of so much as a bloody nose. It was no easy feat doing such damage without leaving 'telling' stains on clothes. But, they pulled it off with frightening restraint considering how they felt.

While they eavesdropped on the conversation, Seifer told them about what Zell had said. The bruise on Ferris's cheekbone wasn't made by a fist. Being a fighter, the martial artist knows bruising. The annoying cadet likely slammed his face into the desk. However, there was a slim chance he was shoved and hit the desk. That the embarrassment of being easily pushed aside made him lie. He had to be sure. So, quick thinking he berated Irvine. And Ferris took the bait.

But, he needed the others. Once it was confirmed he might meet up with them, he asked Seifer to come along, and told him to nab Squall once he showed up, to keep him from interrupting.

The foursome were given a proper punishment, just as cadet Avalon. They were discharged from the military. All bank accounts with the service closed. And they were stripped of their ability to use magic or handle it. They were officially civilians. Dismissed.

Ferris looked from Irvine to Squall and he spat in their direction. "You're disgusting, you know that?! Every single one of you!" He tried to yank free of the hold on his arms, but failed. "I looked up to you, Squall. You were the hero Balamb talked about and cheered. I wanted to be like you. But look at you now… Ruined by some pansy-ass. He's corrupted you!"

Squall furrowed his brows at that. Was Ferris serious? "Why does everyone assume it was Irvine coming on to me? I went after him."

Someone should alert a chiropractor because the whiplash that statement caused was going to need work to repair the damage. Did Squall Leonhart just say that he went after someone affectionately and for romantic purpose? He, who by the student body of Balamb Garden, been deemed a prude. He shot down love confessions easier than breathing. But, he went after Irvine?! No way!

Even Irvine wondered about that. His expression was more thoughtful than shocked. And in his search, he did find that Squall had done the strangest thing as he'd gone to open the door to the hotel room, he'd touched the hairs against the back of his neck. Then it was a whirlwind of tongue, lips, teeth gnashing, and hip grinding in the best of ways.

With a sheepish expression he scratched his cheek.

"It's ok to be surprised; but, I'm an eighteen year old guy. I'm not made of ice." He glared at Ferris. "You're the one who's disgusting, deciding who I am and how I am, just because you've decided to worship me as some hero." Crossing his arms he added. "And with the way you talk, you might wanna check your own orientation. You're sounding pretty infatuated to me."

"Shut up!" The livid cadet clenched his jaw over such an accusation. "It's like I thought, you swear everyone is in love with you, you damned sicko. I hate you! I hate you!"

"I don't care. I never asked for you to like me." Retorted the commander. "And after what you'd done, I would never like you." He smirked. "There is one other thing you should know, before you go.."

Everyone in the room: Seifer, Zell, the Kramers, SeeD members, offending cadets, and Irvine all wondered why Squall would want to say anything to the pest in the first place, but then they hear him muttering an incantation. He wouldn't seriously…?!

"Squall, you cast that and you'll be facing the same charges as the others!" Cid declared over the sudden uproar of protest and surprise.

However, the spell was never cast. Instead Squall approached Ferris, and he leaned into his face. A face that looked at him with pure terror that, if not for headmaster Cid, he'd of been fried by powerful bolts lightning.

"I'm not junctioned." Squall hissed. "It's scary, isn't it? Someone using magic on you when you're not equipped to handle it… Keep that feeling, because if I ever see you again.. If you ever do anything to anyone I care about again.. I'll kill you."

"Squall?!" Cid continued trying to regain control over the angered cadet. But, he knew it was a pointless tug-o-war, because love has no care for consequence or rationing when it's jeopardized.

Ferris had nothing to say. What could he say? He, and the others, were taken from the office for cleansing. They'd be civilians by the end of the day, and sent home.

"Young man," Cid began, but stopped when his wife put her hand up to ask that he be silent. Squall doesn't need to hear what he already must know.

"You can all return to your classes." The headmaster said instead. "All things considered, it could have prevented had we made such behavioral rules in the first place. There will be an assembly next week once we get a handle on this."

The room was cleared out, leaving the Kramers to discuss the situation.

"Irvine, before.." Zell began. "You know that was an act, right?"

"Not until you showed up in the headmistress's office. I'm glad to know that." He grabbed Zell's hand, and they shared a heartfelt but brief embrace. "And thank you for helping out." He found out about what went on, when the others explained it to Edea and Cid.

"I'm happy for you guys," he pat Squall on the arm.

'Thank you.' Thought Squall.

Zell looked at the lovebirds, then kicked his foot against the floor. "Guess we'll go first." He shoved Seifer towards the elevator.

"But, mom, I wanna watch the kissing movie." He mocked the situation but walked along to leave Squall and Irvine to their reconciliation.

Irvine looked as though he wanted to say something, but he wanted to say so much that nothing was coming out. His blue gaze dropped to the floor as if to sort through the mess of words to pick something to string together to form a sentence.

The sniper gasped when feeling fingers brushing the back of his neck and a hand then rests there, used to guide him forward into Squall's wanton lips. As the dance engaged, their breaths mingled, tongues engaged. Just as Irvine reached up to pull Squall closer, the lion backed away.

"Just answer a few questions for me." He breathed slightly quickly to catch his breath. When Irvine gave a nod, he continued. "Do you care about me?"

Surprised by the question, he nodded and replied. "Yes."

"I wasn't some damned conquest."

"No. I wanted to keep you at arms length. I wanted you to break up with me, because it was hard for me to do it."

"Didn't work out too well, did it?"

Irvine shook his head. The lone wolf awaited the shoe to fall. For Squall to tell him off for being inconsiderate of his feelings.

Squall placed a hand on his hip, looked at Irvine with a squint. "Irvine.. I like you. I care enough to wanna love you." Seeing the shocked look he nodded. "Yeah. So don't decide I'm some delicate being for the top shelf, because you like me. I'm your fucking equal you idiot."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I feel the same way about you." He threw his arm out in gesture to where the bullying cadets were taken. "What they did really screwed with me, too. They actually attacked you… I felt helpless, and stupid for having left you to that. But, I know not to treat you like you're something fragile. So, don't do it to me."

Irvine shook his head. "Never again. …Do I get another chance?"

"It's like I said in Balamb.. I'm not breaking up with you. In fact, since you tried to leave it up to me we now have a rule."

"Oh?"

"You're stuck with me until I say otherwise."

"I think I can handle that."

"You don't have a choice. Even if you come to hate me, we'll be together until I'm done."

Smiling, Irvine nodded. "Yes, sir."

Squall smiled. "There is one other thing…" He glanced at Irvine's pocket before walking away.

Confused by that, Irvine checked his pocket.

0 0 0

The wolf's hips moved just as languidly as his tongue. Swaying, touching, brushing, pushing, retreat. A little back... just before a lot in. Squall met each buck and thrust in perfect pairing. And if he wanted more, he would turn it around and place himself in charge of the pacing by rolling and bobbing his hips upwards. He'd been so curious about what it was like on this end. Because of some clown, things had cooled off between him and his boyfriend. But, he now sees why Irvine had no objections to being on the receiving end. It was euphoric. Addictive. And he doesn't want to get clean. He felt free.

The number of hip pops, the sound of patting applauding flesh at their hips. Irvine didn't tell him of how blindingly tantalizing it was to have thighs pressing into you, and that each time contact was made it spread you open just a hair more at entry, taking it farther in by the smallest millimeter.

Squall arched his back, titillated by the body heat inside of him rather than encasing him, as it would be if he was at the head. Squall moaned in memory of the foreplay. Irvine's skilled mouth practically turned him female, it had so much sucking force; and the pleasure rippling up the shaft was so searing that the lion could have really let out an animalistic roar. His wolf caressed the head of his member as if he was speaking Galbadian to it, kind of like what he's doing to his tongue right now. This hypnotism of a bilingual kiss completely knocked the French kiss on it's ear. TKO.

Irvine's soft sounds were bringing out the beast in him, as he's sure he'd dug his nails into his flesh just a bit too deeply at one point. His fingertips could have slid through dew beads expelled in the whet of their bodies craving of each other, but he's sure that if he'd looked he'd of seen red. This feeling cut deep. Not just for the pleasure, but for Irvine. He meant what he'd said in the hall, he feels very strongly for the sniper. He wants to take it far, he wants to have more. Not just physically.

His panting picked up as Irvine rode him faster into the bed. They're in Deling hotel. Edea gave them the day off to rest from the month of antagonism. They weren't going to waste it. And he was glad the lecherous side of Irvine rubbed off on him, just a bit, so that when he'd kissed him in the hall he slipped a condom into the sniper's pocket.

Squall's voice hitched when he felt teeth sink into his shoulder then bicep. He rolled them over, and bobbed his hips slowly up and down. He wasn't sure which position he liked more, under or over, but he knows he appreciated the sounds coming from his pinned wolf as he slowed the pace.

He hissed at the hands massaging his balls. Now that was truly cock-tease. It's right there, ignored in touch but still blasting him with tingling sensations as it touched either his warmth or Irvine's. It forced him faster to create that wagging contact. He growled in frustration when hearing a slight chuckle from Irvine. He was doing it on purpose!

The lion could play a teasing game with his prey, too. He leaned over and kissed Irvine's lips, chin, neck, lowering himself with each peck until he slid free from around him. The sniper whimpered, hands dug into the sheet when his member once so hot and toasty was blasted with air from Squall blowing on it at the exposed flesh as the condom was slid up before it was slipped back down.

The two erupted into a fit of laughter when the wolf got up off his back and pounced the lion. He kissed him playfully upon his face, but his hands slid him back inside, and didn't stop his assault of pleasure until they both released into the blue hour.

"Irvine?"

"Mmm?" Was the sleepy reply.

They're embraced in each other under the covering but in places exposing blanket, tired from the dance, but not yet sleeping.

"Stabbing West is gonna be playing in F.H. in December.. Wanna go with me?"

"I'll save a seat in November." He smiled. Nuzzling his forehead to Squall's, feeling the slight up risen flesh, he thanked the Gods that they were together. The closeness was immeasurable to any other joy he's ever felt. And Squall feels the same.

Squall felt the satisfaction in his heart. Even if this didn't last. Irvine would be there with him, in spirit. He loves them. He will always love them. If it was up to him, Irvine would be…. They will be.. each other's last.

The End

X x X

Commentary: I promise, I will work on my romance lol. Really. I will. Thank you for reading, and please read my others. They are great, in my opinion ahaha. Sorry for not updating sooner, but the internet blocked the site and AFF deeming them dangerous because they're not with the https. And the site admin never got back to me. Finally I googled loop holes and Tada! So..

Again, thank you for reading. I'm sorry that it was muddled, but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would hate LGBTQ+ peeps, so it might have came off a little over the top or dry because of that but seeing that my first reviewer was someone hatefilled, I realize even more that sadly people still live in such a state of mind. If you're reading this on Adult-FF, I'm talking about the review from Fan fiction.

Despite my shortcomings I hope you enjoyed it, and support this couple. Irvine doesn't always have to be straight lol. I'm gonna stop rambling now, as most people never read this. See on the next one.