Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Time for Reflection ❯ Imminent Bliss ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter XIV: Imminent Bliss

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Farplane, one month later
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I figured that you would be here."

Jecht nodded at Braska's words as he continued to look at the only gateway to his loved ones. Much like the Farplane at Guadosalam used to be, he was visiting the location to view life on Spira. As he watched the proceedings take place, he reminisced about how Tidus would always come here to see Yuna on the pier… every day.

Jecht, on the other hand, never enjoyed coming to this spot on the Farplane. He didn't particularly enjoy watching the lives of the living… he figured it wasn't his business. On this day, however, the situation was different.

Braska sat down beside him upon realizing what Jecht was viewing.

"It's their wedding rehearsal, Braska. The little runt is really gonna marry her. Heh, I got to see their little Ronso friend in a tuxedo. It was… pretty damn funny."

Braska grinned slightly at his comment. "They certainly didn't waste their time. Only two months." Braska's eyes wandered upward, to the sight that greeted his eyes.

Zanarkand.

The skyline of the majestic city glowed vibrantly, covering the entire Farplane with an eerie machina glow. Regardless of the obvious incongruity of Zanarkand being on the Farplane, Braska noted that the sight was indisputably beautiful.

It had been a hard month for them. A sense of dread, wonder, and hope flooded their emotions when Zanarkand appeared one month prior. It was all in vein. The entire city had a large barrier around the perimeter; no one could get in. When they confronted Kaemon, wanting nothing more than answers, he labeled them as traitors of the Farplane. They were never to step foot on, or near, the temple again. And then, there was Jecht…

For two long weeks, he would go to Zanarkand every day. He circled around the barrier, calling for Anya constantly. Quite truthfully, it scared the hell out of Auron and Braska. They had never seen their friend in such a state of emotional despair. It was tragic and heart wrenching; in all truthfulness, they had no idea whether or not Anya was even there. They needed answers but could not get any. They were… helpless.

Interrupting his thoughts, Jecht spoke dryly. "From what I've heard, their wedding is tomorrow evening. We should all come here tomorrow to see them."

Braska nodded. "I would like that. I wish we could all be there."

No more words were exchanged for a while. They wanted out of the Farplane, to live in a land of peace. A maniacal individual bent on domination had ruined their peace, and they had no way to stop him. It was unnerving and unfair.

"You wanted to come here too?" Braska and Jecht turned around to see Auron standing behind them.

"Yeah," Jecht replied despondently. "Join the party." Auron nodded and sat down carefully beside them. "My boy is getting married tomorrow, Auron," Jecht continued, rousing Auron's attention to the fuzzy image floating in front of them.

"That is… good news," he replied unemotionally. "I hope they can be happy together."

Braska looked at them. "Should we all come here tomorrow, to see their marriage?" They nodded in response, and Braska smiled.

"Good. Let's go to my house; my wife has made dinner, and I am sure there is more than enough for both of you." They nodded and slowly stood up, preparing to make the trek to Braska's abode.

Before leaving, Jecht turned around and looked at the image one more time before it faded into nothingness. He noticed his son kiss Yuna gently on the lips and heard a muffled I love you. "You have made her so happy, son," he thought proudly, as he walked quickly to catch up to his friends.

~~~~~
In Spira
~~~~~

Besaid was lively and exuberant, for the wedding of Yuna and Tidus was the very next day. Everything had been planned, right down to the button on Tidus' cerulean vest. The rehearsal was a village wide event, and the people of Besaid gathered eagerly to get a preview of the ceremonies.

It had been hard, but it was agreed that everyone would keep their chins up. All of Spira was feeling an incredible sense of loss. The hurt of what occurred on the Farplane continued to linger in their minds, but it was resolutely determined that the sorrow of the previous months event would not affect Tidus and Yuna's wedding. Everyone was tired of pain and sadness. It was time for some happiness.

Kimahri returned earlier that day from Mount Gagazet, and he was happily greeted by the entire group. As expected, it was very humorous to see him sporting his snazzy tuxedo for the first time. In a peculiar sort of way, he looked handsome, maybe even regal.

Tidus and Yuna agreed on a man named Ira to perform their ceremonies. He was on the council for reform of Spira's government, and Yuna took an immediate liking to the jolly bearded old man soon after she met him. It seemed like a natural choice.

The rehearsal was dull in Tidus' opinion, but Yuna seemed to be enjoying it; therefore, he didn't feel a need to complain. The musicians of Besaid agreed to contribute their services to the nuptials, and they composed two dazzling ballads for the procession and the recession. It was going to be, quite simply, gorgeous.

The proceedings for the wedding were rehearsed three or four times until Yuna thought it was just right, and it concluded shortly thereafter.

"Well," Ira concluded. "I think that is everything. You mentioned that you have both made your own vows?" Tidus and Yuna nodded, and Ira smiled broadly. "I will leave them as a surprise for everyone. Thank you, people of Besaid, for your undivided attention."

The people of the village applauded for a moment and went home tiredly, anxiously awaiting the grand wedding to be held the next evening.

The exhausted group made their way sluggishly to Tidus and Yuna's home after the rehearsal was complete. There they would enjoy a private dinner together, as friends.

The villagers had prepared an extravagant banquet for them, much to Yuna's surprise. She was planning on preparing the rehearsal dinner herself, but they completely denied her the privilege. The meal was delicious, however, and they talked quietly amongst themselves as they ate.

As the evening progressed, everyone enjoyed the comfort and serenity of being around friends. They knew that things would be very different from now on.

"So," Lulu exclaimed passively, interrupting the temporary silence that enveloped the room. "You're really going to go through with this, Yuna?"

Lulu received a scowl from Tidus, but ignored it. Yuna shook her head vigorously in response. "Of course I am, Lulu." Yuna looked at her jokingly. "Is that the way my maid of honor should be talking to me on the night before my wedding?"

Lulu looked at her and smirked. "No, I guess it's not. I am only making sure." She looked at Tidus and scoffed.

"I'm assuming that you will continue to treat her as nicely as you have the past two months." Tidus nodded shyly in response, and the answer was sufficient for Lulu.

"Don't worry Yunie. I'm behind you and Tidus all the way. I'm going to go try on my dress again!" Wakka looked at her and laughed noisily.

"You've already tried it on four times today, ya? I think it fits!" As Rikku walked away from the group, she smiled brightly at Wakka.

"So? I think it's pretty! I'll be right back," Rikku replied enthusiastically. Everyone sighed loudly, giving in to hushed laughter.

Tidus looked at Yuna and smiled brightly. "I think she likes your taste in formal wear." Yuna laughed and got up to follow Rikku. Although not a good source on female Spiran fashion sense, Tidus knew an elegant dress when he saw one. Upon seeing Rikku and Lulu in their bridesmaid attire, Tidus was astounded by how increasingly beautiful it made them look. A stunning sky blue gown made of flowing silk, the dresses were form fitting but completely modest.

"They are so Yuna," Tidus found himself thinking when he first saw them.

Regardless of how striking the gowns made Lulu and Rikku appear, he knew that the bride could never be outdone at her own wedding. Yuna was going to steal the show.

"I can't wait…"

"Hey brudda, you nervous?" Wakka asked Tidus curiously, interrupting his thoughts.

"Not yet. I'm sure that I will be tomorrow though. Tonight will be the first night since I came back that I won't be staying with her," he proclaimed unhappily.

Regardless of how badly he wanted to stay with her, he knew he couldn't. It was the rules… something about bad luck if you were to see the bride on the wedding day before the ceremony. A custom like that never existed in Zanarkand. In Tidus' fantasies, he had always imagined holding his bride to be the morning of the wedding, spending time with each other before the ceremonies. Later that day, they would be united in eternal happiness.

It obviously wasn't going to turn out that way though. He decided that he wasn't going to let his selfish fantasies ruin Yuna's day. It was best to follow the customs in Spira, no matter how much he didn't agree with them.

"It really is a different world," he thought solemnly.

"Aww, you'll survive without her for one night! After all, you're gonna have to spend the rest of your life with her from now on," Wakka explained.

Tidus reflected on Wakka's comment for a moment. The rest of his life… it could be a long time. Nevertheless, he couldn't think of a more perfect individual to spend the rest of his life with. It brought a smile to his face. In this home, the building that the people of Besaid so lovingly crafted for Yuna, they would start their lives together. Tidus looked forward to it.

Their thoughts were interrupted by Rikku, walking purposely into the dining room to show off her dress. She was oblivious to the fact that they had seen her dress many times before, and it was humorous for everyone.

"Tada! I loooove this dress! It's so pretty!" she exclaimed happily.

Tidus tried to warn her. "Rikku, watch out for that…" It was too late. As Rikku walked by the pointed edge of the dining room table, it snagged her dress. The rest, as they say, was history.

"Oh my god! I… Yunie, I'm so sorry!" she yelled frantically, looking at the large tear in her elaborate dress. "I am so, so, so sorry! What am I gonna do? What am I gonna… I can't believe I did that, I… I'm sooo sorry!" She squeaked hysterically, her wild green eyes brimming with unshed tears. Wakka looked at Tidus and breathed in heavily. This was not good.

"Rikku," Yuna said calmly. "Go and take off the dress… we'll go to the tailor right now and see if she can fix it. It's okay." Tidus stared at Yuna in disbelief. How did she always manage to stay so calm? Always so forgiving… it was her nature.

"I am so sorry Yunie! I am so stupid, I'll go get changed!" She scurried off in the direction of a guest bedroom to change back into her casual clothing. As Rikku nervously bounded up the steps, she lost her balance in the long gown and knocked over a flower pot near the top of the stairs. The loud crash that ensued caused her to burst into immediate tears, and Yuna looked in her direction and gasped.

"Umm, It's okay Rikku! Don't worry about it… I, uhh, I'll have that replaced!" Rikku ran up the stairs, sobbing loudly, as Yuna turned her attention to the rest of the group.

Sighing heavily, she walked up to Tidus and sat beside him. After looking at Tidus and kissing him on the lips quickly, she leaned on his shoulder. "It's been a long day, love."

Tidus smiled and put his arm around her lovingly. "You never cease to amaze me. Most people would have been mad at Rikku for doing something so… careless. Was that pot expensive?"

"Well," Yuna replied softly. "Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm sure the tailor will be more than willing to fix it. It's not a problem. And no, it wasn't that expensive; it's no big deal." Tidus smiled as he stroked her hair softly.

Kimahri, who had sat at the dinner table quietly for the majority of the evening, looked at everyone for a moment. "Kimahri think Rikku clumsy. Rikku not make good Ronso." Everyone laughed loudly at his comment. After a while, Rikku trudged sadly to the dining room, tears still flowing freely from her face.

"*Sniff* Yunie, I'm ready… I can't believe I did this! How could I have been so stupid? I'm so sorry about your vase! I don't know what I was thinking, and, and, I…"

"It's okay Rikku, just be a little more careful next time." Rikku nodded sadly, her face red from tears, and Yuna kissed Tidus tenderly. As she left with Rikku to take her torn gown to the tailor, Wakka simply could not hold it in any longer.

"Hey Rikku! Just don't fall in the cake tomorrow, ya? Yuna might not be so forgiving!" Rikku stared at Wakka angrily, sticking out her small tongue in defiance.

"Just a tiny problem. No big deal," Tidus thought nervously.

Tidus' mind went once again to the plans for the evening and the next day. It was agreed that the groom and the groomsmen were to stay at Wakka's house for the evening. The bride and the bridesmaids were to stay at Yuna's home. Tidus, of course, didn't like the plan, but he accepted it without too much fuss.

"Hey," Wakka replied, interrupting Tidus' thoughts. "I'm gonna go home and sleep. You should too. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow." Tidus nodded and bid farewell to Wakka.

"Okay," Tidus replied. "I'm just going to wait for Yuna, so I can say good night to her."

Kimahri yawned and looked at Tidus. "Kimahri go to sleep. Kimahri need rest." Tidus walked up to Kimahri and gave him a pat on the back. "Tidus," Kimahri said quietly. This was surprising. He had never called him by his name before, and Tidus listened intently at what Kimahri was about to say.

"Kimahri glad Tidus is marrying Yuna. Kimahri is happy." Tidus smiled brightly at him, giving him a quick but meaningful hug. After breaking the embrace, Tidus bid Kimahri farewell.

Lulu was apparently very tired. She had worked exceptionally hard, planning many intricacies of Yuna's wedding. Tidus was thankful for her efforts. Lulu walked to one of the guest bedrooms, but turned around right before she closed the door.

"Don't listen to what I say… I'm happy for you and Yuna. I know that you are perfect for her. Good night." Tidus grinned at Lulu and sat on the dining room chair once again.

He continued to sit in the dining room for a while, waiting for Yuna and Rikku. He wanted to bid Yuna farewell and good night before he left for Wakka's home. Shortly thereafter, Yuna walked inside. Rikku was following closely, trudging sadly behind Yuna.

"I'm sorry, Yunie! Can you please forgive me? I promise I won't be so reckless, I… I, swear!"

"Rikku, you have been apologizing enough, and I *have* forgiven you. Please, stop worrying about it. She's going to fix up the dress for you, okay? It's going to be alright, I promise." Rikku nodded and bid Yuna goodnight after embracing her fervently.

Before walking to her bedroom, she looked at Tidus carefully. "Night Tidus… you better leave tonight, it's the rules!" Tidus nodded and waved at Rikku as she entered her room.

"She wasn't happy that we woke her up, but she was willing to fix the dress," Yuna said softly. Tidus nodded and looked at her as she walked up to him.

"So," Yuna said quietly. "Looks like it's just you and me right now?" Yuna sat in Tidus' lap carefully and wrapped her arms around his neck lovingly.

"Yeah… I just wanted to say goodnight to you before I left." Yuna nodded and tiredly put her head on Tidus' shoulder.

"We've been running ragged this past month, haven't we?" Yuna asked questioningly. "I haven't been spending as much time with you as I should. I'm sorry." Tidus looked down at her and kissed her gently on the lips.

"It's okay, I understand…" He stared at her for a moment and smiled.

"You, milady, are going to have the perfect wedding." Yuna grinned at him adoringly, and Tidus stared solemnly into her eyes.

"Yuna… can I ask you something?" She nodded slowly, waiting expectantly for him to continue. "Now that the wedding is so close, I was wondering. Do you still have no regrets about us, well, not waiting for each other?"

Yuna gazed at Tidus lovingly. "Of course not... we made a decision together, right? It's brought us so close, and I love you even more every day. I have no regrets about it… never will."

Tidus looked at her carefully and smiled. "Okay… it makes me happy to hear that. Come on… let me put you to bed."

Tidus picked up his love and walked silently to the bedroom. Laying Yuna in their bed, he pulled the covers over her and lovingly kissed her on the lips. "I wish you could stay with me tonight," Yuna whispered in Tidus' ear sweetly. "I'll miss you."

Tidus looked at her and sighed. "I will too… love you."

"I love you too," Yuna said sweetly, kissing him on the cheek. "I'll see you at the altar tomorrow."

Tidus looked into her eyes and carefully brushed aside some stray hair that was covering her beautiful face. "I'm looking forward to it." He kissed her one last time and bid Yuna farewell.

He happily thought of the imminent bliss that awaited him and Yuna. Tomorrow, they would forever be united by their burning love and passion. Tomorrow, she would be his wife… tomorrow, he would be her husband. It was a magnificent thought.