Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Time for Reflection ❯ United in Love ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter XV: United in Love

"Okay Wakka, now I'm scared!"

Wakka looked at him and chuckled. Tidus was dressed elegantly in his black tuxedo; he looked like a true gentleman, and the vest he was wearing was in perfect correlation with his crystal blue eyes. His hair was rowdy, as always, and it flowed above the collar of his shirt freely… very handsome.

"Hey, you love her right? You got nothin' to worry about. Just some jitters, ya?"

"Yeah, I know," Tidus commented nervously. "It's just that… I'm afraid I'll make an idiot out of myself or something! What if I screw up my vows?"

"Well," Wakka replied coolly. "Just make up some romantic, lovey stuff if you forget, ya?" Tidus smiled at his comment and continued to pace nervously around the room.

It had been a long day for Tidus. He was allowed out of Wakka's cramped hut only to bathe. Everyone was deathly afraid of him accidentally seeing Yuna. Personally, he didn't see what the big deal was. So what if he saw her? He thought it was ridiculous, but he agreed with it. He *did* have a lifetime to be with her, so tried not to complain too much.

Kimahri looked at Tidus, giving the best grin he could come up with. "If Tidus forget lines, Tidus rub nose with Yuna. Is what Ronsos do," he proclaimed jokingly. Tidus smiled and laughed slightly.

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind… Wakka, do you have the rings?"

"Yep, got yours in my pocket, and I got Yuna's right here," he proclaimed smugly, lifting up his left hand to show him the small gold band that was on his pinky. Tidus nodded, and they strode out of the house quickly.

They were dressed and ready. Wakka looked striking in his tuxedo, and Kimahri looked like… a Ronso in a tux. The three of them walked to the beach slowly, talking quietly among themselves… Tidus' thoughts kept wandering to the amazing woman he was soon to wed.

___________________________________________________________________ _________________

"You look beautiful."

Yuna nodded as she stood in front of the large mirror on the wall. Lulu and Rikku were in their dresses, inspecting Yuna's attire carefully. A lovely white gown clung to her figure beautifully, her soft hair flowing freely on her shoulders. A sheer, elegant veil covered her face. She looked… breathtaking, mysterious… gorgeous.

"Tidus will not be disappointed," Lulu continued.

"Thank you. I… I want this more than anything, Lulu. But w-why am I so nervous?" Lulu looked at her, her crimson eyes contrasting sharply with her blue dress.

"I don't know what it is like to get married, but I do know that it is normal to be nervous. You love him… don't worry about it." Yuna nodded at Lulu and gave her best smile, although the anxiety was apparent on her face.

"I'm so excited Yunie!" Rikku said animatedly, hopping in the air happily. Yuna looked at her and laughed. "At least she isn't begging for forgiveness any more," she thought humorously.

Yuna looked at Rikku's dress for a moment. The tailor did a fine job repairing it; she had to replace the fabric all the way up to the nearest seam on the waist. Quite a job, but she got it done.

"Are you ready, Yuna?" Lulu asked questioningly.

Yuna looked up, determination written plainly on her face. "I'm ready."
_______________________________________________________________ ____________

The sun was setting, and the beaches of Besaid looked golden, majestic. The weather was perfect. On the beach were flowers, decorations, and hundreds of people, all waiting for the everlasting union of Tidus and Yuna.

The crafty wedding party had it all planned out. Tidus would be waiting at the altar. He would never even see Yuna until she started walking to him from the large, decorated screen at the beginning of the isle. He would be surprised; it's the way they wanted it.

"Good evening Sir Tidus."

"Hello Ira. It's a pleasure to see you, as always," Tidus said, kindly shaking his hand. Ira nodded in response.

Tidus looked around. The villagers and the wedding party did a wonderful job. Just as Yuna wanted, there were lilies everywhere, bathing the entire beach with beautiful sights and scents. Lovely bright white lattices surrounded the area, and an elegant white runner lead the way to the altar. Bright blue Ajuga petals were carefully placed alongside a bounty of lush green ivy on the white fabric. It was incredible.

Tidus looked at his surroundings and whistled quietly. Looking over at Wakka, who was standing beside him, he could not help but comment. "Wow… this is really, umm, pretty, Wakka." He smiled at Tidus and nodded… Ira interrupted his gawking shortly thereafter.

"It is time to begin."

Tidus nodded as Wakka and Kimahri bid farewell to him. They would meet again in a few short minutes. Tidus glanced nervously down the isle, waiting for the ceremony to begin.

The music started. A beautiful, well paced string ballad greeted his ears. The processional… he remembered it from the previous night. They were playing beautifully, perfectly in tune.

As Tidus stood at the altar, in front of Ira, he reflected on the past two months.

Magical…

It was the only way to describe it. He received a second chance, another opportunity to be with his love. He realized how fortunate he was. Today, he would marry her.

He snapped to attention when he noticed the first pairing, Kimahri and Rikku. They walked up the isle arm in arm. Kimahri was stoic as usual, but Rikku's bright smile made up for it. They paced themselves well, walking slowly and gracefully up the isle. Upon reaching Tidus, Rikku gave Kimahri a quick hug and settled to the left of Tidus; Kimahri, to his right.

Walking elegantly up the altar shortly thereafter was Wakka and Lulu, best man and maid of honor. A smile crept up on Tidus' nervous face as he saw them. They were cute together, and they looked superb in their attire. They reached the isle after a moment, and they embraced each other before they parted ways. Wakka gave Tidus a gentle pat on the shoulder and stood at his side, in between Tidus and Kimahri.

Tidus was surprised when he heard the music fade. Everyone turned around, to see what was next.

Tidus' ears welcomed a new melody, one that he had not heard the previous evening. The music was slow, graceful… beautiful. The musicians had composed the piece for Yuna. It fit her… it was her. He held his breath, waiting for her appearance.

As the graceful music reached an exquisite crescendo, he saw his love for the first time that day. He caught his breath, admiring her outstanding beauty. Her two different eyes… they sparkled brightly, filled with love, admiration, and a little bit of nervousness. His love… his Yuna, was beautiful. Her dress fit her gorgeously. Her hair flowed freely in the tropical breeze. On that day, Tidus' childish thoughts concluded that she was the most beautiful woman in Spira.

She reached the altar as the music slowly came to an end.

"Hey," Tidus whispered nervously as he looked at her and carefully lifted the veil from her face.

She looked meekly at him and smiled. "Hi."

She reached for his hand and held it tightly. She wanted his comfort.

It was time to begin. "People of Besaid… We are gathered here on this evening to bear witness to the unity of Tidus and Yuna…"

Ira's wedding ceremony was a blur to Yuna. She was having a hard time thinking straight, and she held Tidus' hand tightly within her own sweaty palm. She stood there nervously, practicing the vows in her head over and over again. That evening, in front of so many people, she determined that she would completely tell him everything in her heart. She would pour her soul upon him. She loved him and wanted nothing more than to spend eternity with Tidus. Her thoughts were pulled into the real world as Ira continued. At this moment, they would be united… for eternity.

"So," Ira proclaimed, concluding his speech of the requirements and duties of married life. "It is for this reason that they will be united, both in their fleshly life in Spira and beyond… If anybody objects, speak now or forever stay in silence." After a moment, Ira concluded that there were no objections and looked at the couple carefully.

Ira turned his attention to Tidus, looking at him intently. "Sir Tidus, I shall ask you first."

Tidus smiled weakly and nodded. He would stay with her, by her side, always. It was time.

"Will you promise to love Yuna eternally? Will you stay with her, regardless of the anxieties of life, or the pleasures of the world? Will you be with her in love, spirit, heart, and soul, both in Spira and beyond?"

It was a simple question for him, one that he was more than willing to answer. "I will."

"With your answer, Sir Tidus," Ira continued. "It is decreed that you will be Yuna's husband, through sickness, health, and death."

"Lady Yuna," he said calmly, shifting his attention to the elegant woman in white.

"Will you promise to love Tidus eternally? Will you stay with him, regardless of the anxieties of life, or the pleasures of the world? Will you be with him in love, spirit, heart, and soul, both in Spira and beyond?"

Yuna nodded, resolutely determined of her answer. Tidus *was* her pleasure. There was no life for her, other than to be with him… "I will."

"With your answer, Lady Yuna, it is decreed that you will be Tidus' wife, through sickness, health, and death… do we have the rings?"

Wakka nodded and took Tidus' ring out of his pocket. He carefully handed it to Yuna, flashing a smile at her in the process. He looked down at his left pinky and reached for Yuna's wedding ring. He tugged at it… and tugged at it again. It was stuck on his finger, and Wakka laughed nervously.

"Hehe," he whispered to Tidus quietly. "It's stuck, ya?" Tidus was about to pass out, but Wakka proceeded to pull the ring off of his pinky with ease and hand it to Tidus. "Just joking, heh," he whispered humorously. The audience laughed loudly as Tidus gave Wakka an elaborate look of death.

"Tidus," Ira said sternly. "This ring is a symbol of your undying love for this woman. With this ring, you are bonded to her… emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Two become one… please place the band on her left ring finger."

Tidus did so, staring into her eyes as he lovingly placed the ring on her finger, atop the ring that he gave her on this very same beach. He mouthed a silent I love you to her as she smiled sweetly at him.

Ira turned his attention to Yuna.

"Yuna… This ring is a symbol of your undying love for this man. With this ring, you are bonded to him… emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Two become one… please place the band on his left ring finger."

It was Yuna's pleasure. She nervously took the ring that was in her hand and put it on Tidus' finger. Two certainly did become one at that moment…

Ira continued, looking at Tidus and Yuna solemnly. "Sir Tidus and Lady Yuna have prepared their vows. Tidus, if you would please."

Tidus nodded and looked at his love. Such beauty, such purity… so different from any woman he had ever known. She was perfect. He looked at her lovingly and started, trying to fight back his tears of joy.

"Yuna… my love," he began. He gazed at her as Yuna's eyes started to brim with unshed tears and continued.

"I promised I would come back to you. When I was on the Farplane, I wanted nothing more than… this day. Now I'm here, with you, marrying you. I was a dream, Yuna. But I was given my one and only wish, my only dream, and I promised myself that I wouldn't take it for granted. Ever since I met you, I loved you. I love you more every day…" Tidus sighed and looked at her lovingly.

"I wanted to make an elaborate, moving speech, Yuna. But it's not my way. I've always known and believed that actions speak so much louder than words. I'll prove my love to you, every day, for the rest of our lives. I will be with you, always… just like I promised. I love you."

Ira looked at Tidus carefully, making sure that he was finished. Satisfied that Tidus was done, he looked at his companion, who was silently shedding tears of total happiness. "Yuna, if you would…"

Yuna nodded and slowly wiped the tears from her face.

"My guardian," she started quietly. She smiled longingly at him before continuing.

"My star player of the Zanarkand Abes. You… you turned my world upside down when you came to me. I… think that it was fate that brought us together… destiny. I was so scared of my feelings when I saw you. I didn't understand them. You brought… happiness into my world. You taught me what it was like to really smile. I give credit to you for everything that I have become."

She looked up at Tidus. His eyes were brimming with tears… they would cry together. Yuna realized, as she looked at Tidus, that it wasn't time for a script. It was time for heartfelt expressions.

"You're right you know," she proclaimed, tossing her previous plans for a vow to the wind. "Actions speak louder than words. I, too, will prove my undying, unwavering love for you, I promise. Thank you, for always being there for me… I'll love you forever."

Ira smiled at both of them brightly and looked at the crowd. "Ladies and gentleman… Their love for each other is evident by their words and actions. Love so strong, so beautiful cannot and will not be broken. I am very pleased to declare the marriage of Sir Tidus and Lady Yuna. What unity in love has brought together let no man take apart." Tidus and Yuna smiled vibrantly at each other and looked at Ira expectantly.

"Sir Tidus, please… kiss your bride."

He looked adoringly at his love as he leaned in for the kiss. Yuna encircled her slender arms around his neck and returned the kiss fervently. It was a kiss of unity, love… and eternity. There they were, husband and wife; both their dreams come true. The crowd immediately burst into applause.

The recession music began as Tidus and Yuna walked down the isle together, arm in arm. Wakka and Lulu followed, with Rikku and Kimahri bringing up the rear.

Tidus grinned widely at the villagers as he walked down the isle with Yuna, toward the large screen placed at the beginning of the altar.

Away from the view of the public, Tidus hugged Yuna tightly. "I love you," he said passionately. "I promise… I'll be a good husband to you."

Yuna looked at him, tears flowing freely down her face. She touched his cheek gently, her eyes locked with his. "I know you will…"

They embraced each other for a moment, waiting for the audience to come and greet the wedding party. They knew they had a reception to hold, a song to dance to, and some cake to eat… the night was young.

Tidus broke his embrace with Yuna and looked at her. "I didn't get to tell you how beautiful you look. You're… stunning."

Yuna blushed brightly at him and smiled. "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself, you know." She hugged him again, not wanting to lose the feeling of his embrace. Now, hugging and kissing him seemed different… better. They were united. She was euphoric in her love for him and refused to let go of the feeling. "Love you."

"Me too."

He looked at her for a moment and laughed. "You know, I'm going to get a bunch of cake all over that pretty face!" Yuna smiled and buried her head deeper into his strong chest.

"As long as I'm with you," she sighed. Yuna knew that she would be. A lifetime with Tidus was in the making. She couldn't think of anything more wonderful.

In the Farplane, three figures were smiling at the image before them.

"You've made us all proud… be good to her."