Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ache: Pain Of Heart ❯ An Interesting Proposal ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All characters are property of Squaresoft.
 
 
--
 
 
An Interesting Proposal
 
 
Guadosalam was a strange, yet quaint city, buried deep underground in the forest near the Moonflow. Yuna had always wanted to go there, ever since she was a little child; there was no other city in Spira like it.
 
 
As they walked down the ramp that led them into the city, an elderly-looking Guado appeared, bowing deeply as he reached them.
 
 
“We have been expecting you, Lady Yuna. Welcome to Guadosalam.”
 
 
“Me?” Yuna asked in surprise. She hadn't been expecting an escort.
 
 
The Guado-man reached out to take her hand, but Wakka stepped forward and blocked the way with his arm. “Whoa, whoa, whoa!”
 
 
“Oh, I beg your pardon.” The Guado-man bowed deeply. “I am called Tromell Guado.” He straightened up. I am in the direct service of our leader, the great Seymour Guado. Lord Seymour has very important business with Lady Yuna.”
 
 
“Business with me? Whatever could it be, I wonder?” Although her voice was light, inside she was a nervous wreck, her heart beating rapidly in fright. Why did he want to see her? Had she done something wrong?
 
 
“Please come inside the manor. All will be explained.” He assured her, indicating to the vivid red doors of a large vine-covered structure. “Of course, your friends are also welcome.” Seymour had been quite firm that her guardians were referred to as her `friends'.
 
 
He walked away, and Yuna followed on after him. Upon entering the manor, they stepped into a large, circular room with two staircases at either side, meeting in the middle. As soon as Tromell disappeared to announce their arrival, Tidus ran up the stairs and attempted to duck past the Guado who was guarding the entrance to Seymour's private chambers.
 
 
“You are not permitted to enter here, sir.” The Guado said, in a firm but polite manner.
 
 
Biting her lips together to prevent herself from laughing aloud, Yuna watched as a somewhat dejected Tidus slunk back down the stairs and came over.
 
 
“Geez, that guy's touchy… Must mean he has a lot of incriminating stuff.” Tidus muttered darkly.
 
 
“Or maybe he just likes his privacy.” Lulu pointed out calmly. “I'm sure you wouldn't like people rummaging around in your bedroom.”
 
 
“Depends who.” Tidus snapped back, but under his breath. Lulu had been on edge since the mishap on the Shoopuf, and he didn't want to annoy her. Her anger could even strike the fear of God into Sin itself.
 
 
“Kimahri not like Maester Seymour.” Kimahri growled, his fur bristling.
 
 
Shocked by his sudden outburst, Yuna looked up in fright. “Aa! Shhhh.” She hushed him gently, praying that no one had heard.
 
 
Kimahri looked at her, and nodded. “Kimahri speak no more.” He promised, his tail swishing slightly.
 
 
The door beside Yuna opened suddenly, and she looked up to see Tromell holding it open. “This way, please.” He ushered them through.
 
 
The next room was a rather lavish dining hall, complete with a table piled high with fruit. The Guado were a race of strict vegetarians; their metabolisms couldn't process rich foods, such as dairy produce and meat. Yuna suddenly wondered if this affected Seymour too, considering he was half-human. She made a mental note to find out, if ever the opportunity arose.
 
 
Rikku perked up immediately at the sight of food, before dashing forwards and proceeding to stuff her face. Yuna walked over to a table by the wall, her stomach turning cartwheels. Each passing second made her grow increasingly nervous. She couldn't think of anything that she'd done wrong… so, why then, did he want to speak with her?
 
 
She glanced up and her gaze was caught by three interesting glowing orbs suspended above them. Inside each, a smaller orb of bright energy pulsated, and she wondered what they were. A long, thin cord oscillated in a wide arc, much like that of a clock's pendulum. Just then, the door opened, causing Yuna to jump slightly in alarm; it was only Tromell, however.
 
 
In his study, Seymour removed a small box from one of his desk's many, voluminous drawers and carefully placed it up his sleeve. From his seat, he could hear Tromell extolling his master's many virtues, and with a satisfied, and rather smug, smile he got to his feet and made for the door.
 
 
“Lord Seymour… He will surely become the shining star that lights the way for all the peoples of Spira.” Tromell announced grandly.
 
 
“That is enough, Tromell.” Seymour said calmly, as he entered the dining room. “Must I always endure such praise?” As he made the prayer gesture, he cast a quick glance at Yuna and was pleased to see her eyes glazed over with admiration. She had obviously taken what Tromell had said to heart. “Welcome!”
 
 
Shaken from her infatuated daze, Yuna blinked and stepped forward. “You… wanted to see me?”
 
 
He hadn't sounded angry, but then again, maybe he was hiding it. She supposed he was very good at disguising his true feelings; he'd probably had a lot of practice. Then again, so had she.
 
 
“Please, make yourselves at home. There's no rush.” He smiled warmly and indicated to the food.
 
 
Before Yuna could thank him for his hospitality, Auron spoke up. “Please keep this short. Yuna must rush.”
 
 
A twinge of annoyance shot through her on hearing this. Surely they could spare just an hour or so? Seymour was a lot busier than she was, and he'd gone to the trouble of preparing them a feast. The least they could all do was stay a while and appreciate his kindness.
 
 
“Pardon me.” Seymour apologised. “It has been a long time since I had guests.” For a brief moment, Yuna thought she could detect a trace of melancholy in his voice, loneliness even. “Lady Yuna, this way.”
 
 
She followed him into the centre of the room, watching as he reached up and grasped hold of the swinging chord, before giving it a swift tug. Almost at once, the orbs glowed brighter, before fading out altogether, leaving the room enshrouded in darkness. Beneath them, the floor lit up suddenly, while above them the ceiling turned into space. They were in a hologram of the galaxy.
 
 
Yuna and her guardians gasped in awe at the stunning detail of the whole projection, especially when a stream of pyreflies blazed past them, acting as meteorites. Seymour folded his arms neatly behind his back and walked over to Yuna; he would have preferred to show her this alone, but he knew she would never have accepted unless her guardians had been allowed in as well.
 
 
“This sphere is a reconstruction created from the thoughts of the dead that wander the Farplane.” He told them all, gazing round as the scene changed from the galaxy, to one of a bustling city, full of people talking and laughing. His eyes then fell to Yuna, who was gazing awe-struck at the tall, brightly lit buildings surrounding them.
 
 
“Zanarkand!?” Tidus blurted out in shock suddenly.
 
 
“Correct. Zanarkand… as it looked one thousand years ago. The great and wondrous machina city, Zanarkand.” He paused briefly, allowing Yuna to commit the ghost of Zanarkand to memory. “She once lived in this metropolis.”
 
 
Intrigued by the vagueness of his statement, Yuna turned to look up at him. “She, who?”
 
 
He remained silent though, and swiftly the illuminations faded away, changing to a rather big, lavishly furnished room. A woman with long, flowing white hair was sat on the large bed that filled the centre of the room.
 
 
“Lady Yunalesca!” Yuna instantly recognised her namesake.
 
 
“She was the first person to defeat Sin and save the world from its ravages.” Seymour confirmed, turning to smile slightly at her. “And you have inherited her name.”
 
 
“It was my father who named me.” She told him, a hint of pride in her voice.
 
 
“Lord Braska was entrusting you with a great task… He wanted you to face Sin, as Lady Yunalesca did.”
 
 
She continued to gaze at the hologram of Lady Yunalesca, swallowing as she felt a small, awkward knot tie in her stomach. Her father had brought about the last Calm, thus tying her to her destiny.
 
 
“However, Lady Yunalesca did not save the world alone.” Seymour continued. “To defeat the undefeatable Sin…” He slowly made the prayer gesture. “It took an unbreakable bond of love, of the kind that binds two hearts for eternity.”
 
 
Out of the corner of her eye, Yuna saw a tall, powerfully-built man approaching, dressed lavishly. He walked straight through her, and she recoiled on instinct, even though there was nothing for her to feel.
 
 
Lord Zaon…
 
 
He approached Yunalesca, who stood up to greet him warmly, arms outstretched. As the two ghosts embraced passionately, Yuna risked a sideways glance at Seymour, only to find him gazing curiously at her. Embarrassed, she snapped her eyes back to the hologram, only to feel a relentless prickling at the nape of her neck. Nibbling her lower lip, she slowly looked up to meet Seymour's eyes. He cocked his head briefly, as though contemplating something, before leaning down and whispering in her ear.
 
 
“Lady Yuna… Please allow me to alleviate the weight that you bear on your shoulders. Allow me to aid your battle against Sin. Marry me, Lady Yuna, and together we shall welcome in the Calm.” He told her silkily, his hot breath caressing her ear.
 
 
Almost at once, Yuna gasped and clapped her hands over her mouth. He'd just proposed! But, why? Did he love her? A thousand questions raced through her mind, and Seymour bowed his head politely and backed away a couple of steps.
 
 
Rooted to the spot, Yuna stood for a minute longer, turning his words over and over in her mind, trying to unravel them. Her mouth ran dry, and she briskly paced over to a nearby table and poured herself some water, before gulping it down. Sighing a breath of relief, she closed her eyes and turned to face her friends.
 
 
Rikku and Tidus approached her in concern, frowning softly.
 
 
“Wow! Your face is beet red!” Rikku exclaimed in surprise.
 
 
“You okay?” Tidus asked softly, wondering what Seymour had said.
 
 
Yuna tried to explain, but the words she needed twisted and coiled away from her tongue, refusing to let her speak. Finally, she managed to choke it out.
 
 
“He… he asked me to marry him!”
 
 
“You serious?” Tidus replied in shock, as a sudden surge of animosity towards Seymour reared its ugly head.
 
 
“You know what Yuna must do.” Auron spoke out in sombre tones, glaring straight at Seymour.
 
 
“Of course.” He replied calmly. “Lady Yuna - no, all summoners are charged with bringing peace to Spira. But this means more than just defeating Sin. She must ease the suffering of Spira. She must be a leader to the people.” he paused, seeming to consider Yuna briefly. “I proposed to Lady Yuna as a maester of Yevon.”
 
 
“Spira is no playhouse.” Auron challenged him. “A moment's diversion may amuse the audience, but it changes nothing.”
 
 
“Even so, the actors must play their parts.” Seymour replied, glossing over Auron's comment.
 
 
He turned to Yuna and spoke softly to her. “There's no need to reply straight away. Please, think it over.”
 
 
Yuna blinked slowly, before nodding. “I will.” As she spoke, she looked up and met his gaze.
 
 
He gave a small smile in reply, before slowly holding out his hands. A small, navy box was settled in his palms, and she gave a little start at what it might contain. Whatever it was, she was sure it was expensive. Lord Seymour was a man of riches, with a taste for quality, luxury and expense.
 
 
“Please, do not look so alarmed. It is merely a small gift to you, as a token of my affection.” He opened the box, revealing a ring of bright, glistening silver, with a glittering ruby-centred pendant. It was exquisite.
 
 
“I, I can't accept this, your Grace.” She shook her head violently, backing away from him.
 
 
Her eyes were wide open with fear, although she had nothing to be afraid of. Seymour found himself fawning on her, his movements towards her slight and non-threatening, as though he was trying to approach a wild chocobo chick.
 
 
“Please, take it.” He held it out to her. “I have no use for it, and it would calm me immensely to know that you were protected by this ring's ancient charms.”
 
 
Cautiously, Yuna extended her arm towards the little box, her hand wavering over it as though it would attack. Before she could change her mind and retreat again, Seymour pressed the container into her hand and swiftly stepped back into the prayer gesture.
 
 
A little taken aback, Yuna firmly clutched her gift, before returning the prayer gesture. Somewhere behind her, Auron cleared his throat, and without another word, Yuna bolted from the room, her cheeks blazing.
 
 
--
 
 
A/N: First of all, MAJOR APOLOGIES!! I know you're all going “OMG WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG, YOU LAZY BUM!?” and I'm really, really sorry for it. Writer's block + clinical depression + full-time education = One busy schedule.
 
 
R&Rness plzkthnxbai.