Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Aftermath ❯ Welcome Ceremonies ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All Character's are from Squaresoft's FF8! So how many days were I late? Sorry… I had to review for a test. You still do remember this story, ne? Well, that's why I put summaries in the beginning of each chapter! I'm also forgetful at times. Warning: shonen ai! Seifer X Squall. No lemon though. Can't write that genre well (as if I write other genres well?). Until somebody offers to write one for me AND if the story's path required one, this story WILL remain kiddie safe!

Chapter 2 of "Aftermath":

Welcome Ceremonies

Summary: Squall accepts Cid's proposal, and for starters, is made to attend Balamb's Welcome Ceremonies. Also, an unexpected visitor arrives.

"Tell me what again?"

I bit my lips as Quistis uncharacteristically almost fell off her chair. Zell's already on the floor guffawing his lungs out. Now he's rolling all over the floor. Selphie's just giggling and slapping Irvine's thighs. Irvine's trying to look all smug. But there's a limit to how smug you could look especially if your face was puffed up from all the air your trying not to exhale.

"Cid hired me as an instructor," I repeated. My cheek burning! Why do I blush so hard!

They all looked at me like I devoured a Gnat or something.

"Instructor LEONHEART! What a blast!" Zell exclaimed through his laughter. "Oh, this is RICH! Hynes, if my sister gets a hold of this! Could you imagine the number of babes Squall's gonna bring to Balamb?"

At the mention of babes, Irvine's head snapped up. A crooked smile peeped unto his face as he brushed his wavy bangs from his face.

"Freshmen babes, hunh? That's interesting. There are so few beautiful babes in Ba-- <oof!*>"

Selphie jabbed him painfully in the ribs.

"As I was saying…" Irvine muttered as he ran his hands on his side, "no one's prettier than my Selphie here."

"Right! And you better remember that!" the bubbly girl gave Irvine a dangerous smile.

Did we really save the world? I wonder? Or was it just luck?

"So, Squall, are you going to accept Cid's proposal?" Quistis crossed her arms while she waited for an answer.

Wordlessly, I showed her the ID card. She took one look at the card, before she finally giggled.

I glared at all of them. But they're all immune to my glares by now. Great. I wish you all fart yourselves silly.

* * *

There's no use trying to prevent the inevitable. I had a week to prepare before classes start, so what did I do? I went to all Hyne Temples in Balamb. But the Goddess won't listen to me. I found it better therapeutically if I slashed a few T-Rexaur's in the Training Center, though they're hardly any challenge any more. After knocking out 10 in a row, I managed to break out a sweat from swinging my Gunblade, Lionheart.

It's a balmy summer day. Balamb Garden looked so alive as the freshmen wandered the corridors, looking very happy for having been accepted for our SeeD Course. Sunlight filtered through the skylight, and the moat reflected the blue skies so beautifully. It's hard not to be enthralled with it all.

I forced myself to focus on the sights and not the job at hand.

Today's the dreaded first day of school.

>>Attention all students and instructors, you are required to attend the assembly at the Grounds<< beep>> Attention all students and instructors, you are required to attend the assembly at the grounds<< beep>> Thank you<<

Techno music blared from the loudspeakers after the announcement. I don't know if I should be thankful that Selphie's happy with her job as school 'DJ'. She still has a year to finish internship before Garden releases her. At least someone's happy with her job.

I shuffled through the crowd.

The enrollees were much bigger this year. The freshmen took up almost half the grounds. By my estimates, there could be over 200 hopeful's this year. My batch only had 50.

"Leonheart! Here!"

I heard someone calling my name. I found Cid peeping through the stage's rich scarlet curtains. He motioned for me to come.

The crowd was so thick, I had to push some to get through. Finally, after a few minutes, I managed to get behind the stage.

Cid's perpetually smiling face greeted me, but I refused to be swayed.

"Why did you call me?"

"Go there on the stage. Hurry-hurry-hurry!"

It took a second for me to process what Cid was asking me to do.

"What?!"

I glared at him evilly, but he grabbed my hand and pulled me with him on the stage.

"Oh Hynes, please, no… Cid, let go of me!" I whispered through clenched teeth. He was an old man, but he was determined to make me obey him! Like Hynes I will allow him to make me sit there!

The whole ground filled with shrieks, as loud as Ragnarok's rocket blast. Cid took advantage of my surprise as he deposited me to my seat at the right of the podium. My eyes were fixed on the swooning girls (and some guys), screaming my surname. My cheeks burned. I wanted to sink to my seat and disappear. Of course that was impossible. I settled to staring at a stain on the curtain.

"Ahem…", Cid coughed on the mike to get their attention. The speaker's static drowned all sounds, and I pushed my palms to my ears before my eardrums explode. Cid smiled and raised his hand in a plea for silence. From the corner of my eye, I saw Zell kick the speakers. The static disappeared immediately. I wonder how he manages to do that!

"Good morning, everyone! I am Balamb's Headmaster, Cid. I congratulate you all for having passed the Entrance examinations and physical. You are truly the cream of the crop. But do not be complacent as this is not the end of your hardships. This is only the beginning.

"As SeeDs in training, you are expected to act with the highest level of conduct. In Balamb, you will not only be taught the basics and fine points of physical and magical combat, but also - MORE importantly - you will be taught how to think, and decide for yourselves which is right, AND which is wrong.

"Remember. It will not be up to us to decide your future. You are the ones who will make that choice.

"Again, I welcome you to Balamb Garden!"

The freshmen greeted Cid with a rousing ovation. The headmaster allowed them to let off steam before raising his hands for silence once more.

"Heh. And now for the part MOST of you are waiting for. I will now introduce Balamb garden's staff!"

"…Dr. Kadowaki!"

I was surprised when I realized that Dr. Kadowaki was beside me. In my nervousness, I failed to notice who the people around me were. The doctor gave me a wink and placed her hand on my shoulders.

"You'll get used to it."

"I seriously doubt it," I muttered when she was out of earshot.

"…Instructor Trepe!"

Cat calls and whoohies from the males. Quistis ignored them all and just walked towards the center of the stage. Will I be as confident as she was? When she returned, I saw her eyes blazing.

"Boobsie eh? Baby, hunh? Wait'll they take my class… I doubt they'll get past the Bombs."

Cid called a few names more. They were in no particular order. I was hoping he has forgotten me.

"And of course…"

Hynes… no… can't I at least get one prayer answered as I wish?

"Squall Leonheart!"

My world suddenly fell apart as I automatically got to my feet. The stage was shaking from the intensity of their voices. I can't walk the three meters to the center of the stage. After a few seconds, I finally gave up and sank to my seat. I thought that they will quiet down, but they persisted a few minutes more. Even as Cid raised his hands, they didn't quiet down. The damn sound went on for a whole minute without any signs of abating!

"Damn it… I can't stand this!"

"Squall? Where are you going?"

I felt Quistis touch the edge of my jacket, but I brushed her off. I hated this! Being gawked at! Being the center of attention! I don't want any of this!

Thank goodness my seat was close to the edge of the curtain. I wanted to discretely slip to the backstage, but how could I do anything discretely when all eyes were set on me? I parted the curtains. At least here, the sounds were muffled, and I couldn't see their eyes looking at me. I wiped the sweat off my brow and rested my back on the wall. I wanted to sit down, but there's no seat anywhere. So I sat on the floor.

"You've gotten so famous, haven't you, Squally?"

My ears rang when I heard that familiar mocking voice. My view was obstructed with shiny black leather boots and the edges of a thick over coat. Slowly, I let my gaze travel upwards.

"…S-Seifer?"

"In the flesh, Squally. Or should I call you, Instructor Leonheart now?"

***To Be Continued***