Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Aftermath ❯ New Roles, New Challenges ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

All Character's are from Squaresoft's FF8! This may contain shonen-ai (no Lemon, though) and continues from where the Game left off. Please, don't beg me not to put shonen-ai here… (LeonheartxAlmassy) you just can't win! I update once every month, the first week, probably. Started the first week of May 2003. This will be story-oriented, not hormone driven, so shoo if you're searching for that kind of story (What a hypocrite! - the truth is, I can't write that kind of story. You'll just think it's a stupid attempt!)

--Reviews are welcome, so I'd know somebody's reading. n.n <Turin>

-- on second thought. That's what hits are for, ne? Anyway…

Chapter 1 of "Aftermath"

New Roles, New Challenges

Summary: Being the very social guy that he is, Squall tries to ignore his new found fame. Even after saving the world, our hero still hasn't changed. Locked within himself, Squall ponders what to do. Cid comes to the rescue, offering Squall a new mission.

It's been a month now since the world came to the brink of Time Compression.

Of course, the particulars were hidden from the populace, no use scaring the masses anyway. It's a bit strange, you know, knowing that a few weeks ago, we were almost erased from existence… now, I'm here, sipping Coke in the Cafeteria, listening to the same old music blaring from the loudspeakers. The trainees were playing cards and gossiping… it's as if nothing happened.

Everything's the same.

>>This is the HeadMaster, calling Squall Leonheart. Please go to the Office immediately.<<

All eyes turned on me. I felt my heart fluttering at the attention. My cheeks burned hotly. I averted my gaze from everyone, picked up my Gunblade and walked straight out the room.

"Hey, Leonheart, Cid's calling for ya!" Nida called when he accidentally bumped into me.

"Yeah, I heard, I heard," I muttered. Even after all this time, I'm still uncomfortable with people. Forget the fact that we all fought together in the Sorceress War. Forget the fact that Nida piloted Balamb all that time. Yah. And here I was, whining that everyone forgot so fast, while I was the one who can't remember anything at all. I made a beeline towards the elevator.

Two freshmen came out just as I was about to go in.

"L-Leonheart-sir!" the blond girl stuttered as she searched my face. "Oh, oh, oh! It's you! It's you!"

I bit my lips as she appeared to melt. Her companion pulled her to her feet, "Please, don't embarrass us in front of Leonheart Sempai!" she screeched, her cheeks blazing red as her eyes darted from me, then back to her companion. "Where are you going sir?!" she asked, a little too loudly.

"Third floor," I answered. They made a rush to push the button for me. I sighed and looked away.

It was too soon before we reached the 3rd floor.

"Oh, Sempai, can we… can we come with you?" the blond girl asked just as I was to get off.

"This area is restricted. Sorry."

Her companion hit her on the head. "Stupid! Stupid!" she bowed so low that her face almost touched her knees. "Sir, we're really honored to have talked with you!"

I groaned inwardly.

"Whatever."

I heard a few more squeals before the elevator door completely muffled them down.

As usual, Cid was stooped on his table, studying the myriad of paperwork running this Garden entails. He looked up, then arranged his spectacles to get a better view of me. His old eyes wrinkled as he offered a seat for me.

"I should've known it was you, Squall, when I heard the screaming…" he joked.

Please. Not you too, Cid…

"You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Aha. Yes. What do you think of the world now?"

I was caught off guard with his question. I was expecting something along the lines of, "You have a blah blah mission," or "fix this problem…"

"Uh, what do you mean by that, sir?"

Cid smiled and repeated his question, slower this time, like he was patronizing a child. He looked away from me and to the vast expanse of blue outside the glass walls.

"I mean… do you like it, now that the world is peaceful?"

I searched his face. Was this a trick question? I mean, compared to putting my life on the line each time I ventured outside the Garden… anything's better than that! What's the problem with peace and quiet?

"I like it, sir."

Cid laughed and crinkled his nose. He looked at me again, and put his heavy hand on my shoulders.

"I could've sworn you were going to say something longer! Still, I'm glad to hear that!"

"Is that all why you called me sir?"

"Well…"

I knew there was a catch to this. His hesitation was all the answer I needed.

"How's your arm doing?"

I shrugged. My right arm's a bit stiff after the Sorceress slammed that chunk of ice crystal to my shoulder. Thanks to science and magic, I managed to get back to my feet after a few days. But Dr. Kadowaki said that I shouldn't overexert myself … but it couldn't be helped. Told me to take it easy for a while.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

"Okay?" his right eyebrow raised a bit.

"It's okay, sir."

He exhaled a whole lungful of air as I stressed 'sir'. I hate it when he plays the father figure after we all regained our memory of him and matron. He was always trying to act like a father to me, but I really don't feel comfortable with that. A whisper of hurt passed across his features, but he hid it as soon as it came. For all his relaxed manner, he still was a master politician.

"Well, since you say so…"

"Thank you for your concern, sir."

His eyes glanced briefly at my injured hand, so I discretely hid it in my pockets. Cid smiled when I did it.

Cid laughed silently.

"You doing anything today, Squall?"

"No, sir. Just reading in the Library."

"Interested in a minor mission?"

"…"

When he used that tone, he's not really asking.

"Good! I'll take that as a yes!" he rubbed his hands gleefully together. He rummaged around his cabinet for a bit and produced a laminated card in his hand. "Know what this is, boy?"

"…"

It's an ID card. Everybody knows that.

With a twirl of his fingers, he turned the card around and slid it to my end of the table. My eyes almost popped out as I realized…

That's my face on the card! And my name! What kind of crap is this?$*%@!

I could feel Cid's amusement radiating all over the room. I snatched the card and glared at him.

"Welcome. Seed Instructor Squall Leonheart."

Oh, Hynes! What the hell kind of a joke is this?!

***To Be Continued***