Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Ashes ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I forgot to announce that all characters belong to Squaresoft except Ashes and the offspring of our hero’s.
* * *
Chapter 1
Life
Nineteen years later...
Ashes...
‘Who’s calling me?’
Ashes...
Whose there?’
“Ashes Tiffany Strife!” a woman yelled. Ashes erupted from her sleep and looked around her room panting. One burgundy covered bed...gray colored walls with a desk, comfortable chairs, clothes and magazines strewn all over the floor, TV with x box...
Ashes sighed, it was only a dream...
“Ashes are you up?” her mother yelled from downstairs.
“I’m up now!” she yelled back and groaned before falling back onto her pillow. She stared up at the ceiling and looked at the morning sunlight that seeped through her window blinds. The warm breeze swept in gently and she inhaled the fall season. She heard nearby sound of steel against steel which caught her immediate attention and brought her out of bed again. Her tall frame of five foot eight walked over to her window and she peered outside to find her older brother and father parrying one another.
The front yard looked more like a courtyard; there was a cemented oval ground and surrounded by that were beautiful autumn trees showing off their gold and burgundy colors.
She grinned as she silently brushed a strand of her waist length hair behind her ear. Leaning upon the window sill, she watched them block and attack until Daemon, her brother made the first blunder and was cornered by her father’s counter attack.
“Idiot.” She whispered to herself. Her mother’s voice rose again,
“Ashes you have about thirty minutes before your classes start. Hurry up or your brother will leave without you.”
Ashes groaned again and looked about her room:
My name is Ashes Tiffany Strife, daughter of Cloud and Aerith Strife. I’m nineteen years old, I have silver hair and red eyes...normal right? I can fit right in. Yea right!
I’ve had problems through elementary, middle, and high school about my looks. So I have become the outcast or in other words the freak. Welcome to my world and today I start at the Fine Arts & Combat Academy, a prestigious school for those talented in the art of war. Yea, so what? I got in along with my brother because of my famous father, Cloud Strife.
Heh...who would turn down the children of the Planet’s Hero? Typical. It was never my intention to go to this school, but my dad taught me how to use a sword since I was a toddler. My brother Daemon is a skilled blade master as well, but he likes to use his fists.
I have two younger sisters whom are sixteen and fourteen. Their names are Desiree and Samantha and they both look like mom...well to get to the point they look normal so does my brother.
Ashes swept her hair up in a bun and donned on a red tank top with black baggy pants. She grabbed her book bag and threw it over one shoulder, grabbing her ash gray hoody, she walked out of her semi tidy room barefoot.
“Morning Sis!” chirped Samantha as she walked out of the bathroom.
“Morning. Your first day of high school eh?” Ashes asked as she grabbed her toothbrush.
“Yep. I hope I make some new friends today...but I don’t know...it’s a big school and I don’t want to make a fool of myself either.” Samantha said quietly a bit worried.
Ashes rolled her eyes and smiled reassuringly,
“You’ll be fine Sam, just be yourself. I bet you that everyone will want to be friends with you. Face the facts: you are a beautiful sweet girl who couldn‘t hurt a fly.”
“Of course. Who doesn’t want to be friends with the Strife’s? Oh wait...no one wanted to be friends with you.” Desiree sneered as she walked in.
That’s Desiree the snob of the family and the princess of her own world. Though she’s only sixteen almost seventeen she’s hated me ever since elementary school. I never knew why. Both of my sisters have light colored hair...kind of like light ash blonde hair with brown. Err...hard to explain but they have my moms eyes: green as emeralds.
“Shut up Desiree!” Samantha quipped in defense.
Samantha on the other hand always liked me...looks up to me in a way. She’s really sweet and innocent...I could just squeeze her to death!
“Whatever.” Desiree muttered as she began to brush out her hair. Ashes finished brushing her teeth and walked out to leave the two girls alone.
She made her way downstairs to the kitchen and sat down in a stool pouring herself some orange juice. Her mom was bustling about the kitchen looking for certain breakfast materials and jumped when she turned around to see her oldest daughter.
“Oh my...you surprised me.” Aerith said with a nervous smile.
“Sorry.” Ashes said and continued to pour some milk into her bowl of cereal.
Meet my mom; She looks stunning for being in her forties. The only wrinkles that give her away are the ones found around her eyes and smile. She’s a wonderful mage when it comes to healing and growing herb stuff. Me? I wasn’t gifted with the green thumb...Honest! I tried to grow stuff but it just doesn’t work with me. They end up either wilting or turning strange colors...eh...enough about that.
“What are you making for breakfast?” Ashes asked.
“Oh its something a dear friend of mine made back in the old days. We all loved her cooking...” Aeris said with a hint of sadness.
“So where is she?”
Aerith coughed,
“Oh, umm...she died a long time ago...”
“Sorry Mom, I never meant to bring back sad memories.” Ashes stated with sympathy.
“It’s all right. In a way you remind me of her.” Aerith said and smiled changing the mood.
A man walked into the house followed by another young man with brown hair and brilliant blue eyes.
“Morning dad.” Ashes said as she finished her breakfast.
“Morning sweetheart. Ready for college?” Cloud asked as he walked by and ruffled her hair.
“Dad! I just put my hair in a bun.” she exclaimed. She began to untangle the mane when her brother spoke up,
“Who cares.” Daemon said coldly.
That’s my brother Daemon. He’s a year older then me and this will be his second year at college. Did I mention what a pain in the ass he is? No? Well now you know.
He’s turned out to be one of those quiet brooding type and he has a problem with me. He always gives me a hard time every time Dad always teaches me the tricks of the blade and I figure he gets jealous...
Now Dad on the other hand...I love the man to death. He’s the best father any daughter could ever hope for. At times he treats me like I’m his only child...maybe that’s why my siblings don’t like me much. Well except for Samantha...
“Oh shut up, you’re just pissed because Dad beat you this morning at practice. You left yourself open when you used the quick thrust...”
“Shut up.” Daemon growled back as he returned to his meal, a slight blush burning his ears.
“I won’t tolerate any arguing today.” Aerith warned. She eyed them sternly before shouts and yells echoed upstairs as Desiree and Samantha conflicted between who would wear what.
“That’ my shirt Desiree!” Sam protested on the top of her lungs.
“Too bad it’s mine now.” Desiree said ignorantly.
“MOM!” Samantha shouted as she stormed downstairs, her eyes near tears,
“Mom why did you have to bring her into the world?”
“She has a good point and I’d like to know that too.” Ashes stated in interest as she stuffed her mouth with a spoonful of cereal.
“Stop it you two. She’s your sister and we should all love each other, share with one another, and not be at each others throats all the time.” Cloud stated seriously. Ashes and Samantha looked at each other wide eyed before cracking up in sarcastic laughter.
“I’ll tell you what Sam; You can go into my closet and choose whatever you want.” Ashes explained.
“Are you serious?” Sam asked innocently. Ashes nodded and watched a happy young girl race up the stairs to her room.
“Are you done?” Daemon asked as he stood grabbing his car keys. Ashes nodded making some of her silver strands fall into her ruby colored eyes.
“Later Mom; later Dad.” Ashes said as she placed her socks on and walked over to her boots. Once she left, Aerith and Cloud looked at each other.
“She’s grown up into a beautiful young woman despite her outlandish looks.” Aerith said quietly.
“She looks like her you know.” Cloud stated sadly.
“I know.” Aerith sighed and smiled at her husband,
“Come on, its your turn to take the kids to school.” Cloud chuckled and began to call the girls downstairs.
Ashes got into the passenger side of her brothers car. It was a nice black lancer that came out last year and as usual big brother ignores me. Ashes looked out the window as they got on the road and onto the highway.
Ok let me start off that our somewhat happy little family lives in the city outskirts of Mikotex. Its a blooming metropolis located south of what used to be Midgar and let me tell you, things have changed since the turning point of history almost 20 years ago. Much more appropriate vehicles were introduced, making the chocobo second to transportation. People raise them as pets nowadays and breed them for Golden Saucer races. Another venture that has boomed over the years are the airships, built by none other then Highwind Enterprises. They are the popular and high class way of transportation over the world.
Highways have been built all over the continents and towns now turned cities have grown into the a technological era. Of course the casual village and town are around, in fact they have developed all over the world. People have been rebuilding their shattered lives and have placed the past away where it belongs.
We have entered a new era, an age where mako is not used, but electricity is harvested from energy mills and waterfalls. Where the capitol of the world is Mikotex and each major city has their own system of government. And dare I announce, our president is none other then Reeve Terrene. Yep, the guy who created Cait Sith and helped my dad and mom out during the meteor crises. Dad was offered the position but he turned it down...not to mention he also turned down the spot for vise president and overall general status!
In my opinion, I think he should have at least taken the position for being General. Funny how Dad decided to open up a martial arts school for children in memory of some woman...I forgot her name.
Ashes sighed as she watched the scene outside zoom by fast. They would be at the academy in a few minutes and she would start her first day. Her brother wore the academy uniform of black and gold with a loose tie around his neck.
Ashes looked at him and blushed slightly...he was so handsome. I bet he had every girl wrapped around his finger. He stood at six foot four, mediocre muscular build yet lean and blue eyes and silk brown hair to die for.
Stop thinking about how cute he is you sicko! He’s your brother for Shiva‘s sake!’ she mentally slapped herself.
The campus stood tall in front of them as Daemon looked for a parking spot. The sun glinted off the silver buildings and crowds of people walked about talking about this and that. Girls wore uniforms as well: black skirts above the knees trimmed with gold as well as a white blouse with a black vest also trimmed with gold.
Ashes got out of the car and looked disgusted at the girls uniforms as she stood watching people walk about and into the building.
“Get used to the uniforms cause you will be wearing them by tomorrow morning.” Daemon said a she noticed her face cringing, “Follow me. I’ll take you to the admin office and from there they will give you your assigned classes, locker, and uniforms.”
Ashes just nodded and followed her brother walking past groups of people and cliques formed together among the entrance and beneath the trees in the shade. It all seemed so full of mirth...birds chirping, hot day, clear skies not a cloud and people laughing and goofing off.
‘I’m gonna regret this.’ she said to herself.
“Look at her!” a girl exclaimed bringing Ashes to the center of several peoples attention.
“What a freak! Look at her hair...what? Is she old or something? Gray hair...yuck.” another declared.
“Who’s that with her?”
“Isn’t that Daemon Strife?”
“It is...he’s so gorgeous and the son of the infamous hero, Cloud Strife!”
“What’s he doing with a freak like her?” a girl inquired.
“Who knows but she looks like a freshman and you know what we do to freshmen.” a girl giggled. Suddenly the girl gasped as Ashes glared at her and continued to walk on.
“Ignore them.” Daemon said as they made their way up the entrance steps and into the building. He lead her down the big corridor and turned left and walked into the double glass doors. Above, engraved on a gold plait said: ‘Administration Office.’
“Someone will show you around once you get your stuff.” Daemon said and turned to leave.
“Hey where are you going?” Ashes asked.
“To class and to meet up with my friends.” he said coldly without turning to her and left.
Ashes muttered, “So much for brotherly love...”
“May I help you...err...miss?” the secretary asked as she gaped at Ashes. The woman took off her spectacles and looked at the girl before her: bronze skin, silver-gray hair and blood red eyes...what was this girl? Did she dye her hair and get contacts so she could stand out?
“I’m a new student and I need my stuff that's all.” she said.
“Oh all right then. Please wait in line over there to get your uniforms and the second line is where you can pick up your schedule. Its in alphabetical order so it will be easy for you.” The plump woman explained before leaving Ashes alone.
Ashes looked at the long waiting line and groaned as she looked at the clock. Supposedly classes always began at eight o’clock straight which gave her less then fifteen minutes to get her uniform and schedule...
She looked at the overcrowded area around the tables where teachers were trying to hand out schedules.
“Great...first day of college and I knew I would be late somehow.” she said silently. From what she had read from the brochures and so on, this college was absolutely strict on rules and regulations even though it was kind of like high school except at a college level. As she walked over to stand in line a girl behind her ran into her.
“Hey watch where you’re going freshman! You might get hurt.” the girl yelled.
“I highly doubt it.” Ashes replied as she looked at her defiantly. The girl’s eyes went wide and she exclaimed, “What are you some kind of freak?”
“I guess I am.” Ashes said and turned around to move forward in line.
“You better know your place freak.” the girl said before leaving.
Why does this bring back so many bad memories?’ she asked herself as she finally reached the desk where she was handed her school uniform. Ashes then walked over to the crowds and began to push through until she reached a desk that began with the letters ‘N-Z.’
“Name?” the man inquired.
“Strife, Ashes Strife.” she answered. The man looked up at her with a quizzical eyebrow before returning to his search through the stacks of papers.
“Strife. Welcome to the academy.” he said but Ashes was engulfed once again in the swarm of bodies. How she made it out alive she had no idea.
She stuffed her uniforms sloppily into her book bag and broke the seal of the envelope to look at her schedule:
Name: Ashes Strife
Locker #: Level A 3203
Classes:
1. Algebra-Room: C136 8am-9:30am
2. History level 1. -Room: A209 10:00am-11:30am
3. English-Room: D119 12am-2pm
4. Chemistry level 1. -Room: A202 2:30pm-3:30pm
5. Lunch 3:35pm-4pm
6. PE- Gym Arena 4:30pm-5pm
7. CTTA 1 (Combat Training level 1. Training Arena) 5:10pm-6:40pm
Ashes was only a freshman so she took basics for the first year and next year she would take advanced courses. This would be her new school for the next four years...oh joy.
She left the foyer and began to walk toward the staircase that lead up to Level A hallway. Once she managed to find it, she flipped out the ID card provided to her by the school and the locker automatically opened.
This looks so small...Dad why did you talk me into this?’ Ashes wondered. She stuffed her bag in the locker and closed it. She meandered in the hallways, avoiding the crowds of people walking in and out of classrooms. She felt so alienated...but when did she ever fit in? Right when the bell rang, she walked into her class late as predicted. The class of probably forty or fifty something students looked at her followed by silence.
“And who might you be?” the instructor asked. She was probably in her mid thirties with brown short hair and coffee colored eyes.
“Ashes.” she answered.
“Does it have a last name to accompany the first?”
“Strife, Ashes Strife.” she replied.
“Very well Miss Strife, I’ll let you slide just this once, since it is the first day of school. Please find a seat.” the woman ordered. Ashes rolled her eyes and muttered,
“Oh Goodie.”
She walked to the back of the classroom and sat down in an empty desk.
It was when class was almost over when a guy in front of her turned around,
“Are you in any way related to Daemon Strife?”
“What does it matter?” she asked lazily.
“I’m just asking.” he said in defense. Ashes just sighed and placed her head on the desk pretending to sleep.
When the bell rang the students dispersed and the rest of the day went by quickly. When lunch time arrived, she found the cafeteria in the west wing of the campus. Food was served inside and you were allowed the choose whether to eat indoors or outdoors. She bought a bottle of water and walked outside and found a nice shade underneath an oak tree. She could hear the whispers of people from all around and of those who walked by.
She flinched and growled when some guys threw a milk carton at her. She heard the projectile but she was too damn lazy but now she was rewarded with milk in her hair and clothes. Laughter burst out a couple feet from her right and she noticed a bunch of girls and guys laughing at her.
Ashes glared, stood up and undid her bun, letting her silver locks cascade down her back. As she wrenched it dry of the milk she tried to wipe some of the milk of her tank top, but the dark wet spots stayed. She sighed once more, looked at them before walking away.
“Awwe! I think we hurt her feelings.” a girl chided.
“So what?”
From another corner of the courtyard stood Daemon, watching his sister walk away. She never stood up for herself, she just let them get away with anything. Even though she was his sister, he couldn’t help but feel the need to protect her yet his pride wouldn’t let him.
He watched in a trance as she undid her silver locks and time froze. She was beautiful...
Stop it Daemon! That’s your sister!’ his conscience scolded but in all honesty no matter how blasphemous his feelings were, he couldn’t help himself. She stirred feelings within him like no other woman ever since they were both children, she always made him feel weird.
His group of buddies laughed along yet he remained silent. A few minutes later they all stood up and walked back toward the campus.
“Daemon did you see that girl?”
“Yes Kyoko.” he said in a monotone voice.
“What a freak! What kind of girl dyes her hair silver and did you see her eyes? I wonder where she got contacts like that.” Kyoko wondered as he flipped is black hair out of his eyes.
Kyoko was a sophomore just like him who stood at six foot and was the muscular type yet loved gunnery. His gray-blue eyes always held mischief and he was known as a womanizer.
“Earth to Daemon?” Zephyrus chimed in.
“What’s up with you man? Your brooding again, I can tell.” Daniel added.
“I think we should leave her alone. Who knows, maybe she was born that way and has no other choice. I bet you she went through a lot of hell when she was a child.” Daemon explained. His friends became silent and began to think over their recent actions...
It was true, he remembered Ashes coming home either bruised or bloodied, crying in fathers arms as he cooed to her. In a way he felt sorry for her and wished there was something he could have done, but this was life after all.
* * *
So how was the first chapter? I have revised it several times before submitting this and added as much detail as possible. Please drop me a comment and any ideas you might have about this story.