Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut & the Guardian Forces ❯ Battlefront ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy and all related trademarks belong to Square Enix. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlefront

By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

<Bahamut look! Don't know if you can hear me, but it's Carbuncle over there!>

What?!

Even with his vision blurred by the film encasing him, Bahamut made out the green colored GF pushing his way in through an air vent. Carbuncle dropped down to the icy floor and accidentally skidded into a wall.

<Ouch...> Glenn muttered. <Carbuncle! Hey, it's me over here!>

Carbuncle seemed a little confused at first, but he quickly made his way over and jumped onto Bahamut's pedestal.

"Mr. scary dragon got turned into a statue."

Grrrr...you little pipsqueak! Bahamut thought. Wait till I get my claws on you!!

<Hell yeah he did.> Glenn replied. <Think you can get us out of here?>

Glenn!! Thanks for your support! Bahamut moaned sarcastically.

"I don't know...oh wait! There's a control panel over there!" Carbuncle grinned, dashing out of Bahamut's limited point of view.

<Great, see anything that could help us?>

"Ermm...just lots and lots of shinny buttons..."

<Try pushing some of them. One has to do something.>

Oh crap...I'm surrounded by idiots!!

Carbuncle only succeeded in activating the water sprinklers on the ceiling.

<Not good...>

"Ooohhh....I'll fix this thing!" Carbuncle declared.

There were some clanging sounds as Carbuncle first broke open the casing of the control panel and begun pulling random wires and other parts out. That 'assault' apparently shut down the room's power and its cooling system.

The ice all around the room was beginning to melt, but it didn't do Bahamut any good. He was still frozen solid, but...there were cracking sounds coming from the other 'statues'. Shiva and Ifrit seemed like they were slowly breaking free.

I don't believe this. Bahamut stared in disbelief. That little pipsqueak is actually getting us out of here!

Despite that, his own 'prison' was still very solid and Bahamut was barely even able to manage to slightest shake. His guess was that the film slowly wore down over time, and since his was brand new, it would take more work for him to break out that the others.

The cracking sounds around got louder and louder, then finally, Shiva emerged, throwing dozens of pieces about. Immediately, the ice elemental dropped to her knees, panting.

"Carbuncle!" She gasped. "How did you get in here?"

"Easy, I used Mr. big dumb dragon as a diversion." Carbuncle grinned.

"Who...?" Shiva looked up, straight at Bahamut. "Carbuncle! That wasn't a nice thing to do you know?!"

"I know. But I knew he'd never willingly agree to it either."

<Dude, that's really sad you know.> Glenn whispered to his partner.

Gargh!! I knew that pest was up to no good!!

"Ugghh....I'm so glad to be out of there." Ifrit growled, stretching his arms.

"Yeah, me too." Another voice came. "It makes me just want to howl..."

"NO!" Shiva and Ifrit quickly tackled the figure, a large purple wolf, and clamped his jaws shut.

"Not if you want to bring an entire squad charging into this room Fenrir!" Shiva whispered. "Let's free Bahamut and come up with a plan before someone..."

"Too late." Ifrit hissed. "The door's opening!"

"Back in your positions, quick!" Shiva ordered.

The three freed GFs stood back on their pedestals and remained perfectly still while Carbuncle hid beneath a pile of icy rocks.

Two humanoid monsters know as Blitz (FF8) entered. These were clad in white armor with horn patterns and carried a large sword in their right hands. The guards first walked up and examined Bahamut.

Finding him still perfectly frozen, they moved on. However, they then turned to Shiva and paused in front of her.

"Now!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiva kicked one away while Ifrit lunged from his position and took the other one down, smashing it to pieces. The first one that had only been stunned quickly began to get back to its feet.

"It's mine!" Ifrit growled. "Meteor Strike!"

Ifrit tossed off a small flaming meteor, which not only blew the Blitz monster to pieces, but also smashed into the petrified Bahamut behind it.

"Rrraaghhhh..." Bahamut moaned, the fire elemental attack having broken the casing of his head and shoulders away. "Can't you aim that damn thing first?!"

"Erm...sorry..." Ifrit scratched his head.

"Come on, let's get you out of this stuff." Fenrir decided.

After a while of thumping and bashing, the trio finally managed to get Bahamut free.

"Gargh...that was not fun at all!" Bahamut snarled, dusting himself off.

"Nice to see you again too." Shiva put a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, after you gave me the cold shoulder the last time." Bahamut muttered.

"Hey everyone, we're all old friends here, so let's drop this for now." Fenrir stepped between them. "Until we take care of Diablos that is."

"Us against all the guards in this base?" Ifrit remarked. "Not good odds."

"I can go mess around with the power." Carbuncle suggested.

"That'll work." Shiva nodded. "Go for it."

Carbuncle scampered into another air vent and disappeared.

"The control room should be upstairs." Fenrir added in. "I definitely saw it before I was captured. That's where we'll find Diablos."

"Heads up everyone! Incoming!" Bahamut launched his Impulse attack through the open door, detonating another pair of Blitz soldiers.

Fenrir leapt ahead and sank his fangs into another monster, a bear like creature known as a Death Claw (FF8). Though instead of arms, it had four spiked claws. Ifrit followed up by blowing it apart with a Meteor Strike.

Suddenly, the lights went out and the corridor dimmed. Fortunately, that also had the effect of shutting down the movements of the Blitz soldiers, leaving the creatures standing perfectly still.

"That was fast." Shiva gasped.

"Looks like those soldiers were powered by whatever magical fields Carbuncle just shut down." Fenrir nodded.

"Don't waste the chance then." Bahamut urged.

"Yeah, the control room's this way!" Fenrir called.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hovering sandcraft sped across the desert sands. This one was built similarly to an armored vehicle without wheels, like and APC (Armored Personnel Carrier). Within its shaded passenger section sat Brad, Aldrea, Cecil and Cid.

<I just...I just can't believe it.> Unicorn was saying.

"I know." Aldrea nodded, holding the fallen Dragoon's helmet up.

The baby Wyvern had fallen asleep despite the shaking of the moving vehicle and gave off a soft squeak in Aldrea's lap. Brad reached over and put a firm hand on her shoulder.

"That's why we have to succeed. So that sacrifices like his won't be for nothing." Brad nodded.

<That's always easy to say, but...I could've saved him...>

<You did your best Unicorn.> Leviathan replied. <I'm sure even he understood that.>

<It's just...we've lost...friends like him, Bahamut and Glenn.> Unicorn sniffed.

"But what about the sightings Maduin's scouts had?" Cid queried.

"That's what I was asking about." Ashley entered the passenger section from the front. "I got Maduin to mark out on this magical map all the spots his scouts had spotted this 'Bahamut'."

"Hmmm..." Brad took a look at the map. "They mostly seem to be around that jungle region in the southeast."

<We know. And we're headed off to find out.> Phoenix added in.

"So soon?" Cecil turned towards them.

<We're going to start the assault on the temples once we secure the new base.> Leviathan informed them. <We won't be able to wait for you to get back.>

"Don't wait for us then." Ashley said firmly. "Look, I know this may be selfish of us, but we have to know."

<Such information could help us nevertheless.> Madeen agreed. <It's still your choice Phoenix.>

<I'm going for it.> Phoenix decided. <Maduin knows about my plans already. And we're leaving right away.>

After bidding a quick goodbye to her friends, Phoenix emerged from the back of the moving vehicle and soared, disappearing into the desert sky.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Damn, persistent aren't you?" Diablos snarled as the group burst through the door to the control room. "Pity, you wouldn't have to die if you'd just stayed the way you were!"

"Shut up!" Bahamut roared, stepping to the front of the group. "You're the one who started this whole war, aren't you?!"

"Partially, but I'd think you'd know the true initiator Bahamut."

"Grrr...."

<Don't lose your cool buddy.> Glenn warned.

"Still, I could even be the one to take over command of the Empire's forces once I bring them this!" Diablos brought up the Ultima weapon. "Along with your head!"

"Hey! That weapon's mine!"

"You're welcomed to try and take it back." Diablos grinned, stepping into a battle stance, along with Siren and Garuda by his side.

The control room was a large circular area with a high ceiling, meaning there was plenty of space to maneuver. However, Garuda had another trick and pressed a button, which caused the floor in the center to split open and a gigantic stone figure to rise.

"This Golem was recovered from its mission in the desert." Garuda informed them. "And it's been restored to its full strength."

In fact, it was the same one that had attacked the sandspeeder of Leivathan's party.

"Better be careful..." Shiva cautioned.

"RRAARRRR!!!" With a thunderous roar, Bahamut leapt into the fray. He somersaulted over the Golem and lashed out at Diablos with his claws.

"Diamond Dust!"

"Hell Fire!"

The two attacks from Shiva and Ifrit respectively distracted the enemy party enough for Bahamut to shove Diablos into a wall. The demon however, kicked Bahamut off and took to the air.

"GGRRRRR! I'll show you who's the master of flight!" Bahamut shouted, following his opponent.

"Moon Song!" Fenrir activated one of his abilities, which gave him a sufficient burst of speed to dodge Golem's smashing fists.

Siren and Garuda threw two Fire elemental spells at the wolf, knocking him backwards.

With a yell Shiva kicked Siren aside.

"Oh, so you want to play nasty do you?!" Siren hissed, returning a punch as Shiva came close.

"Come on!" Shiva taunted as the two females charged one another.

Garuda then lunged from Ifrit, who managed to catch the harpy and throw her over his head. The wind elemental recovered her position in mid-air and spread her wings.

"Aerial Blast!"

Ifrit howled in pain as the floor beneath him collapsed, sending him plummeting through the level below and onto the ground floor. He did manage to roll away, despite the pain, and avoided Garuda's plunging attack.

"Hargh!" Ifrit delivered a kick to Garuda's back, sending her skidding across the room.

Garuda raised her claws to cast a spell, but Ifrit fired a Meteor Strike at her, forcing the wind elemental to dodge. They continued this way, clashing their projectile attacks as they ran around the room.

Ifrit then stopped by a ledge...and realized that beneath it was a circular metal pit. The very same one that had been used to freeze himself, Bahamut and the others earlier. Garuda suddenly came at him with a shoulder charge and knocked him down.

However, Ifrit managed to grab on to her shoulders and spin around, smashing Garuda's back into the floor. With that, he quickly jumped out of the pit and triggered the activating mechanism, leaving Garuda's screeches amongst the hissing of steam and the grinding of the machinery.

"Sweet revenge!" He laughed.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"See that over there?" Leviathan gestured with his tail.

<That half sunken temple?> Unicorn muttered.

"Yeah, so that's our target huh?" Aldrea nodded, clinging onto his head.

"I can help to you guys punch a hole." Another GF, Bismark, said to them. "After that, you'll have to go on your own."

Bismark took the form of a large gray whale, being more than twice the size of Leviathan.

<We'll manage.> Brad said confidently. <Time to end this once and for all.>

After settling into the new base, it hadn't been long before Maduin was able to organize the assault. Leviathan and Unicorn had gone with this particular team to attack a temple that had partially sunken into the sea. That was where they were now, hidden in the reefs close to the temple.

Cecil and Cid went with the other team. Aldrea thought. And we left the baby Wyvern back at the base. Then...

She patted Salamander's Dragoon helmet, which hung by her side.

<I won't forget him either.> Unicorn sent her partner a private message.

"The moment the sun goes down, wasn't it?" Leviathan queried.

"Wait...look there!" Bismark called.

An explosion had just occurred on the opposite side of the temple.

"That's the signal." Leviathan growled. "Aldrea, I'll keep my head above water, you just hang on tight."

"Let's go!" Bismark took the lead, speeding through the waves.

The way seemed clear until they got much closer to the temple. That was then that sea monsters started appearing, amongst them gigantic Octopus monsters and shark-like creatures know as Fastitiocalon (FF8).

"Sea Song!" Bismark called forth a large wave to throw the creatures out of the way.

"Tsunami!" Leviathan shot off his watery blast at the walls of the temple, drilling a way through it.

"Go!" Bismark ordered as Leviathan slipped through the hole. "I'll lead them away!"

The whale GF then dove deep under the water, making sure that the sea creatures were right on his tail.

"This is it." Unicorn transformed, landing on the wet, rocky floor.

Following that was a wild dash through the dark, narrow corridors. The sounds of explosion came from all around as the battle raged outside. Any sea monsters did little to hinder their path, until the pair arrived at a large blue crystal hovering several feet above the ground.

Behind that was an ominous swirling vortex.

"Ready?" Unicorn asked.

"Whenever you are!" Leviathan roared.

With that, the pair plunged into the vortex.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bahamut and Diablos' battle had brought then to the highest level, where they were leaping and lunging at each other in close quarters. Bahamut however, was taking many hits across his arms and chest from the sword Diablos wielded.

<Not good! He's gonna tear you up at this rate!> Glenn warned.

"Grrr...I know! Rargh!!" Bahamut backed into a wall, clutching a bleeding wound across his chest.

"Black sheep of evil times, cover our light!" Diablos growled. "Gravija!"

"Impulse!!"

The two dark elemental spells exploded, canceling each other out. However, the Bahamut was too close to the blast and felt the bad sting of the explosion. Diablos followed up almost immediately, sending a ferocious kick directly to Bahamut's stomach area.

The dragon was then grabbed around the neck and hurled into the air.

<Hey he's given you some range!> Glenn realized. <Mega Flare now!>

With a vicious roar, Bahamut let off the Mega Flare in mid-air. Diablos raised the Ultima weapon as the beam came towards him. The demon struggled with the energy beam for a long time before finally managing to deflect the attack.

Bahamut was struck by his own attack and was went spiraling to the ground, landing in a large cloud of dust.

"Dark Messenger!" Diablos prepared his most devastating ability, putting his claws together as dark energy swirled around him.

The gravitational attack formed into a large dark ball in his claws, which Diablos held out as he plunged towards the ground and the fallen Bahamut.

<Get away! He's coming!>

Shiva was still engaged in her fistfight with Siren and had just managed to throw her opponent aside. Whirling around, Shiva immediately saw Diablos coming and tackled Bahamut as he shakily stood up, taking them both out of harm's way.

Siren tired to follow Shiva, but unfortunately she didn't see Diablos coming down until it was too late. Diablos was unable to stop in mid-attack and Siren took the full force of the spell, screaming out in pain.

"NNOOO!!" Diablos howled, staring at his fallen companion.

Bahamut rolled forward and kicked Diablos' sword arm. Time seemed to slow down as the sword spun in mid-air, with both combatants reaching out for it. It was Bahamut who got his claws on the weapon and whipped Diablos away with his tail.

Then everything sped up again as the dragon spun round and thrust the Ultima weapon through Diablos' chest.

The demon let off a hideous screech as he stumbled back, dark black blood pouring from his chest.

Behind them, Fenrir had been dashing around the Golem's legs. The wolf finally caused the stone creature to topple over, just as Diablos stumbled into its path. Golem smashed through the stone floor, taking Diablos all the way down and crushing him on the lowest level.

For a while, everyone just stood there, panting and staring down the hole. Ifrit soon came running up the stairs to join them, with Carbuncle on his shoulder.

"Hey, there were some more of our guys imprisoned in this place." Ifrit reported. "Carbuncle got them out and they're fighting the monsters below."

"How...are they doing?" Bahamut asked.

"Fairly well. Had some losses, but they'll manage."

"So, it's over then..."

Everyone turned to the source of the voice, the wounded Siren lying on the ground.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Looks like the battle's already begun." Tritoch remarked, making a sharp turn in the air.

Their assigned area was a temple that stood in the midst of a wide, open wasteland. Barely any plants were growing there, and the soil was a dark gray mixture of stone chips and dust.

That was why the temple and all the explosions around it were in clear view.

<Get in a little closer, and we'll drop from there.> Madeen suggested.

"Your father's plan right? To go from above?" Cid asked, clinging on to Tritoch's back.

<Humph, yeah dad's.>

"Why?"

<Huh?>

"You don't sound too happy about that." Cecil commented. "Is there something between you two?"

<I've said, we don't get along very well.> Madeen insisted.

"No, I'm definite it's more than just that." Cid pushed.

<Grrrr...not now you two, we're almost there.> Madeen abruptly changed the subject. <Get ready!>

"Tri-dazer!!" Tritoch sprayed the ground around the temple with his three elemental beams.

At that signal, Cecil and Cid jumped off the giant reptile's back and switched into their GF forms.

"Energy Ray!" Valefor broke a hole in the roof of the temple, which both herself and Madeen used to enter.

The pair landed and quickly glanced around for any signs of hostilities.

"This should be the way." Madeen pointed. "We have to find that crystal teleportation point, fast!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You...you have a bonded partner too, don't you?" Bahamut walked over to her. "I remember from that battle in the tower."

Siren managed to sit up and shifted into the form of a well-dressed, slim and dark haired woman. Bahamut did the same, changing back into Glenn's form.

"I heard your name was Alison right?" Glenn knelt down beside her. "You and your partner were the ones who started the whole thing about the Aeon's Soul. Why?"

"Heh, we were with Diablos all along." Alison replied weakly. "Dynaock was never really your true opponent. It was the forces here instead."

"That we've figured out." Glenn nodded. "But why did you help them? You didn't know that our world would be affected as much as theirs?"

<Ifrit will be able to tell you about Diablos' mind-controlling.> Siren's voice explained. <And I....no, we...were under that control too. For a time that was...>

"For a time?"

"But I begun to enjoy the power I was granted." Alison continued. "As well as his company. And we started working for him willingly."

"Willingly?!" Glenn muttered.

<But that's all behind us now...we were defeated, fair and square...> Siren spoke.

<Tell me something, Diablos was the one who helped to start this entire war correct?> Bahamut cut in. <However, he wasn't entirely in-charge of it. So, who is? And why?>

<Haha...Bahamut...that's something you already know, don't you? A soul in pain, trapped for years in an endless void of suffering. One that you caused.>

<I...grrr...>

<That soul has grown to despise the world around her. The hatred that has built up as she struggled to free herself. And now, she has returned, seeking revenge on all. Especially you Bahamut...>

"But you already know it, don't you?" Siren's partner added in. "You just needed confirmation that's all."

"Bahamut..." Glenn closed his eyes.

<It's her....my sister...> Bahamut whispered. <Tiamat...>

"Here, you'll need this..." Alison pulled a rolled-up parchment out of her rear pocket. "That's the actual copy of the Aeon's Soul. It'll help you find the temples of the Legendary Beings."

"Thank you." Glenn nodded, taking the scroll.

"Well then...we wish you good luck..."

<While we join the one...we care about the most...>

Alison then lay back and closed her eyes. Shiva came closer and touched the woman's neck, then shook her head.

"The pressure of Diablos attack must've been too much for both of them to take." Shiva said softly.

"Hey Bahamut..." Glenn took a hold of his pendant. "You OK?"

<I'm fine. Just that...I have to find my sister.> Bahamut growled. <I'm the reason she's like this. I'm the real cause of all this....>

"No, you're not. I saw what happened too. You did what you could, but it wasn't your fault about what happened." Glenn snapped. "But what I do know is that we have to find a way to put a stop to all this."

"He's right." Shiva put a hand on Glenn's shoulder.

"If it helps, one of the temples they mentioned is close by here." Fenrir spoke up. "I know General Maduin had planned a combined assault on the temples."

"How would you know?" Ifrit asked.

"Hey, I'm part of it. I haven't been cooped up here as long as you and Shiva."

"Now, that's a stab to the pride." Ifrit muttered dryly.

"Let me go downstairs and talk to the others who were freed, then we can decide on a course of action."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hmmm..." Phoenix made another flight around the jungle area, with as little success as before.

<This is the last of the spots where he was seen.> Ashley reminded her partner.

"I know." Phoenix sighed.

Exhausted, she flew towards the ground and landed, intent on taking a short rest.

<I wonder if it really was him that they saw.> Ashley muttered.

"Who know? Perhaps I'm just hoping for too much and..." Phoenix stopped short as a huge shadow suddenly blocked out the light. "Wha..."

Against the rays of the jungle sunlight was a very familiar, dragon-shaped shadow. Phoenix squinted, unable to make out the figure clearly.

"Bahamut....?! Is that....you....?!"

"RRROOOAAARRRRR!!!!"