Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut & the Guardian Forces ❯ Perdition ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy and all related trademarks belong to Square Enix. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perdition

By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Well, we're finally back." Cid walked out of the ruined temple and glanced around.

"Looks like a lot of fighting has been going on here too." Cecil added in.

After much running around, the pair had finally made it back through the portal and to the GF's world. It was obvious that the battle was over, with most of the temple's structure damaged and the ground outside blackened.

<We should head back to base.> Madeen suggested. <And see if the others are....wait! Look there!>

There was a sudden roaring of jets as a large red airship, the Ragnarok, flew into view. The pair covered their faces as the ship landed nearby, stirring up a huge cloud of dust.

"Finally, we thought you two would show up here!" A voice called from the ship's loudspeakers.

"Who...Glenn?" Cecil gasped.

"It's him all right!" Ashley's voice added in. "Bahamut and him are alright! Hurry and come aboard!"

Cid and Cecil nodded to each other as a boarding ramp descended from the ship. They dashed up and were met by the other four members of their team: Brad, Aldrea, Ashley and Glenn. That was followed by some time of cheering and happy reunions.

In particular, Glenn was the focus of it. He'd told the others about his and Bahamut's journeys through the Underworld, as well as the battles fought there, along with their encounters with the 'immortals'. What Bahamut made sure to keep from the others however, was the terms of his return.

<Until this is all over.> Bahamut told Glenn privately. <Then, I can break it to them that the only reason I'm alive now is because I'm linked to you.>

Cause you're linked to me? Glenn wondered. He hadn't really considered the point much, having been too caught up in the current events.

<And when this is all over...> Bahamut continued. <Well, we'll see.>

Glenn was about to ask Bahamut about it when a door slid opened, revealing Shiva and Fenrir walking into the room.

"Hey guys, sorry to break up the reunion, but we've got a few updates." Fenrir spoke.

<Yes, what happened to the rest of the assault?> Madeen queried.

"You guys took out 2 of the 4 crystals." Fenrir explained. "We managed to contact Maduin, and found out that one of the remaining temples just collapsed on itself, even without us attacking it. There's nothing left of that one."

"Ifrit and some others went to check out the last of the temples." Shiva continued. "And he says it disappeared too, claiming it 'took off'."

"Erm, took off?" Ashley stared.

"He meant it in a literal sense." Shiva replied. "A flying temple."

"And Maduin's team retreated after their attack on the Imperial capital." Fenrir added in. "They're resting close to the city, but Maduin mentioned that the defending forces were rather disorganized."

"So, the options now are..." Glenn scratched his head. "Erm, what again?"

Everyone face-flopped.

<Don't you pay attention to anything you moron?!> Bahamut fumed.

"Hey, I have to listen to you. That's enough isn't it?"

<Do you ever listen to me?!>

"Well, not always." Glenn laughed nervously.

"Same as always." Brad sighed.

"Guys, have you all seen Cecil?" Aldrea suddenly looked up. "She was standing here a moment ago and...."

The entire airship suddenly rocked, causing everyone to stumble and fall. That was followed by the sound of jets and the airship lifting off into the sky. The motion of the airship threw everyone into a heap.

"Wha...who?" Cid groaned, pulling himself up.

"Hey, who's at the controls?" Brad asked.

"WOOOHHHOOOO!!! We're flying!" Came Cecil's excited voice over the ship's PA (Public-Address) system.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group rushed into the cockpit to find Cecil seated at the pilot's chair, happily tugging away at the control stick.

"Gargh! Get this evil human child off my controls!" The Ragnarok's computer screamed.

<Cunno...> Valefor muttered. (Sorry).

"Hey, she can actually fly pretty well." Aldrea laughed.

<We might as well look for this 'flying temple' while we're up here.> Leviathan suggested.

<That's a good idea.> Bahamut agreed.

"Here, let me fly this ship." Cid exchanged places with Cecil in the control chair. "I've flown a private airplane before, and I believe I can fly this."

"Well, get to it then." Glenn patted his shoulder. "Full speed ahead!"

"Right away!" Cid pulled on the controlling mechanism, and the ship suddenly jerked to a stop and started moving backwards.

That threw everyone forward and against the windshield, except for Cid, who was buckled into the pilot's seat.

"Oops, I think I put the ship in reverse!" Cid sweatdropped, correcting the direction. "There, that's fixed it."

"On second thought, put the girl back at the controls." The Ragnarok's computer remarked.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Unidentified flying object, dead-ahead." Cid pointed.

After several minutes of travel, the ship's sensors had gone off. Everyone gathered around Cid as he brought up an image onto one of the monitors.

"Man, that really looks like a flying temple." Glenn stared.

"We're closing in on it." Cid nodded. "Wait, look!"

As the group watched, the floating temple began breaking apart. Rocks and stone pieces came apart, dust falling down to the ground below. Revealed from within was an odd-looking vessel, with a circular top and sort of a tapered point down beneath the 'saucer'.

"Could this be Eden?!" Fenrir stared. "Another of the Legendaries?"

"Guys, it's moving!" Glenn pointed.

In front of their eyes, Eden started glowing and suddenly, shot off into the sky like a rocket.

"It's gonna head off all the way into space at this rate." Cid muttered.

"Can we follow?" Glenn asked.

"I possess insufficient fuel to initiate a space chase." Ragnarok informed them.

"Great..."

"Hmmm, the Imperial capital is practically below us." Shiva noted. "Perhaps we'll be able to get some from there."

<We'll have to fight our way through.> Madeen noted.

<Not a problem, we'll just scare the living daylights out of them by firing a few missiles.> Bahamut laughed. <That'll be enough of a distraction for us to go about our business.>

<Yeah, headfirst.> Ixion muttered.

However, as the Ragnarok descended, the need for any course of offensive action diminished. The city below them appeared battle-damaged from the fighting, but there were surprisingly no troops about to defend it. As was as if the city had suddenly been abandoned.

Cid flew the Ragnarok to what Shiva pointed out as storage area. Upon landing, Shiva and Fenrir went out to search for the fuel they needed, leaving the party of 6 together.

<It's strange, how this place feels so deserted.> Madeen remarked. <This is a capital city after all.>

<Yes, something feels very wrong indeed.> Bahamut muttered. <I feel almost as if...rargargh!!>

"Whoa! Hey!" Glenn dropped to his knees as Bahamut suddenly took control.

"I feel her..." Bahamut growled. "She's here. And she's calling me."

"Who?" Phoenix took over and knelt by Bahamut's side.

"Tiamat..."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving swiftly by air, the party of 6 GFs made their way to the palace. That was where Bahamut felt he was being called to. Part of the mid-level wall had been blown open and they entered through that area.

From there, the path led them along a large corridor and finally to a throne room. As they pushed open the gigantic double doors, the group found a large armored knight, Odin, seated on the throne.

With him was the black robed magician, Hades, who didn't look very happy.

"Odin was the Empire's leader?" Madeen wondered.

"You sound so surprised." Leviathan commented.

"None of us really knew."

"Hey you!" Bahamut stepped into the room, attracting the attention of their foes.

"At last, thou have come." Odin declared in a booming voice. He got up and raised his sword. "It is thy destiny for us to battle....gargh!!!"

"Huh? Wha...?!" Hades stepped back as Odin mysteriously dropped to his knees, screaming in pain.

From the armored knight's body, a dark shadow emerged and took on a familiar draconic form.

"Grrr, I have no need to use this fool to talk to you any more." The dragon snarled in a strong female voice.

"This was part of our agreement remember?!" Hades pointed, apparently continuing a conversation they'd been having earlier. "I helped set up this leader for you to take control of..."

"And I help lead you to the Legendary Beings. But you've failed to fully utilize their powers!" The dragon growled. "You can safely say that the deal's off because of it."

"What?!"

"Now get out of my sight! Dark Flare!"

The dragon unleashed a black breath weapon which struck Hades and sent him crashing through the wall. Dusting her claws off, the dragon turned and stared right at Bahamut.

Like Bahamut, this dragon stood upright with a humanoid structure. She had the same body structure as him, though a little shorter and of a different color. Most of the scales on her body and neck were black, with sections of red along the chest. The wings and head were purple in color, but the wings were leathery and tattered at the lower edges.

"Hello dear brother. It's been a while, hasn't it?" She hissed.

"Tiamat..." Bahamut tried to move forward, but Tiamat raised a claw and caused a wall of dark flames to block his path.

"I see you've had a nice time in this world." Tiamat glared at him with hatred in her eyes. "After you left me behind to suffer in here."

"Tiamat, it wasn't my fault! I was too badly injured then!"

"Shut up! I thought I could always trust you! And you betrayed me!"

"NO!!"

"You left me, dooming me to a life trapped in the void. The world without life, without feelings, full of emptiness and regret!" She pointed. "I want you to feel the same thing I have brother! That's why I worked so hard to find a link back to this world. And I'll destroy this world as you know it!"

"Tiamat, please stop!" Bahamut sprinted through the flames and lunged for her, only to pass right through his sister's body.

"She's not really here." Ixion whispered. "She must still be communicating with us from that other plane she exists on."

Tiamat let off a fierce growl and fired a Dark Flare into Bahamut. As the dragon roared in pain, Tiamat's form slowly faded away.

<Bahamut!> Glenn called. <You alright there?>

"Bahamut!" Phoenix ran to the fallen dragon's side.

"We have to go there." Bahamut muttered. "And follow Eden. That's where I'll find her...I know it."

"Then we'll go together." Leviathan came forward. "And finish this."

"Yeah, thanks guys." Bahamut nodded. "We'd best get back to the Ragnarok."

As the group got up to leave, they completely forgot about the unconscious Odin on the floor. The armored knight happened to be pulling himself up and briefly saw the group departing.

"At last, thou have come." Odin declared. "It is...."

BAM! The throne room doors slammed shut.

"How dare thee avoid thy destiny you inconsiderate b##tards!" Odin shouted angrily.

Then the wave of exhaustion from Tiamat controlling him suddenly came on, and Odin collapsed to the ground, unconscious again.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tornado Zone!" A wind elemental, Pandemonia, released a tornado attack.

"Diamond Dust!" Shiva raised her hands and created a wall of ice to shield herself.

"Millennial Decay!" Fenrir sprang out from behind Shiva, breaking into a wind-based charging attack. The wolf rammed Pandemonia, knocking him back against the wall.

"Gargh..."

"We said, we don't want to fight, but you insisted." Fenrir growled.

"And he's right. The real threat is not each other, but out there." Bahamut said as he landed, with his companions close behind.

Pandemonia leaned back against a reindeer with a green mane, Kirin, both of whom were panting from the short fight.

"Our leader was controlled by this strange voice the whole time." Kirin muttered. "We didn't know....what else to do."

"We just realized it...and the whole Empire's in disarray now." Pandemonia added in.

"Perhaps it's time for change then." Maduin walked onto the scene, accompanied by many others who'd helped the group in the past, like Ifrit, Ramuh and Carbuncle.

"Dad?" Madeen turned his head.

"Our own people have been at war with each other for a long time. And for what reason? No one really knows." Maduin spoke.

"Maduin..." Bahamut stepped forward.

"Yes, I know. Shiva has spoken to me about your return." The general nodded.

"Besides just that, the real threat is...." Bahamut closed his eyes. "Remember all that time ago? When you first begun to train me? I told you the real reason behind it all."

"It is your sister then?"

"I wish it were, but now all that's left in her is hatred, regret and vengeance." Bahamut replied. "It was so much like me back then. And now, it's my turn to stop her before she does something unimaginable to both this world, and the human's."

"That is your choice then." Maduin nodded.

"I want to go alone..." Bahamut stopped short when Phoenix grabbed him on the shoulder.

"No, you are not running away again you idiot." She snapped. "And you are especially not dragging Glenn away from Ashley again."

"You....guys...."

<Come on.> Glenn urged. <We're a team remember?>

<And that includes all of us.> Ashley added in.

Leviathan, Ixion, Valefor and Madeen all glanced towards the pair and nodded.

"Yeah, the 6 of us now." Bahamut grinned. "Let's go."

"The Ragnarok's all fueled up and ready." Shiva gestured. "Go for it."

"Yeah, we're rooting for ya!" Fenrir nodded.

"Dad..." Madeen stepped forward. "You know how to pilot a ship and navigate in space right? We could use your help while we go in."

"Well, this old timer sure hasn't lost his touch." Maduin smiled. "If Bahamut allows that is."

"Hey, that would be an honor." Bahamut shook his hand.

Amongst the cheers of the crowd, the rumbling of the jets soon begun as the Ragnarok rose to the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

An odd silence came over the group as they sat around the ship, awaiting their destination. Maduin remained vigilantly at the controls, with Cid sitting close-by and Cecil asleep in another chair.

On the deck below, Brad and Aldrea stood, looking out at the stars littering the dark sky. Ashley was sitting there too, until she noticed Glenn standing off by himself.

"Hey, how you doing?" Ashley asked.

"Oh, I'm all right." Glenn shrugged. "A little nervous I guess."

"Aren't we all?"

"Yeah."

Both were silent for a short while more.

"Did you ever think it would come to this?" Ashley looked up. "You know, when we first got into this mess."

"Hey, I can have a pretty wild imagination. But even I didn't think of anything like this." Glenn laughed. "It's been one wild ride...both good and bad. And it's been cool going along with everyone, especially you."

"Yea, I....thought about you a lot. During that time you were missing and all...." Ashley trailed off.

"So did I." Glenn replied. "Well, I..."

"Hey, don't pull another stunt like that again."

"Nah, I won't." Glenn leaned closer. "Just got to try another one..."

Glenn put his arms around Ashley and kissed her. The black haired girl was a little surprised at first, but she returned the gesture. The shadows around them slowly changed, becoming Bahamut and Phoenix's instead.

<Hey! You two!!> Glenn yelled.

<Yeah, what gives?!> Ashley protested.

"Huh? Gargh!" Both GF's jumped apart.

"Erm, I didn't really intend for that to happen." Bahamut scratched his head.

"Yeah, errr....me too." Phoenix muttered. "Sorry about it."

<Hey, you two were thinking about the same thing as Ashley and me.> Glenn realized.

"No!" Bahamut and Phoenix growled.

<Aw come on!> Ashley pushed.

"Well, since she does have a point...." Bahamut leaned forward and kissed Phoenix in the same way Glenn had done for Ashley earlier.

A sudden rocking of their airship however, brought everyone back to reality. The party gathered on the bridge, where Maduin pointed out the source of the shaking. Eden was right ahead, seemingly motionless in space, as opposed to the speed they knew it possessed.

"We've entered an energy field generated by Eden." Maduin explained.

"Approaching firing range in 30 seconds." Ragnarok added in.

"Do it." Bahamut snarled. "We'll blast our way in!"

"Hang on tight!" Maduin pulled on the lever, causing the ship to speed up.

As they neared their destination, sections of Eden's body opened, revealing dozens of laser cannons. Maduin skillfully guided the Ragnarok, dodging the enemy lasers as they moved in.

Spinning the ship to the starboard side, Maduin released a volley of missiles. Their attack knocked out many of the laser cannons on the upper right section of Eden. Maduin then moved the ship away and suddenly spun it a full 180 degrees.

"I'm gonna bust through the weakened section, get ready!" He instructed.

Charging up the Ragnarok's thrusters to full power, the sleek dragon-shaped craft sped towards Eden. More lasers flew past the fast-moving ship as Maduin did his best to avoid them, though several still grazed the ship's armor plating.

At the last moment, the dragon 'head' of the Ragnarok opened up. A huge orange laser fired from within, blowing a hole in Eden's outer walls. That allowed the ship to go charging past the outer defenses and into the inner sections of the 'space station'.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where do we go from here?" Leviathan wondered.

The interior corridors of Eden appeared exactly the same; gray colored tunnels leading off in all directions. Maduin just kept the Ragnarok flying along a relatively straight path.

"Keep going." Bahamut growled. "I have a feeling the way will show itself."

The corridor eventually led the ship to a docking bay, where Maduin pulled it to a halt and landed on the platform. The Ragnarok was suddenly jostled by some invisible force field, causing everyone to stumble.

"Something is interfering with my navigational systems." The Ragnarok reported. "I am unable to take off."

"Well, seems she wants us to come." Phoenix muttered.

"Hey Maduin, could you wait here with the Ragnarok?" Bahamut asked. "We might need to make a quick getaway later."

"Just be careful." The older warrior nodded.

Bahamut led his group down the ship's ramp and into a smaller passageway, which was the only obvious path to take. Everyone glanced around as they stepped into a translucent corridor with dozens of colored lights swirling about.

<Hey partner.> Glenn called. <Have you thought about what you're gonna do, when we get there?>

"I'm not sure." Bahamut admitted. "I don't want to fight her, but that may not be any choice but to..."

As the dragon stepped forward, a barely audible click sounded. Phoenix started and jumped forward, just as a door slammed shut, separating Bahamut and her from their party.

At the rear of the group, a pitfall suddenly opened beneath Ixion, sending her tumbling in.

"Aarrgghhh!!!" She screamed.

"E'mm kad ran!" Valefor yelled, diving down the hole after her comrade. (I'll get her!)

"Ixion!" Leviathan cried. "Gargh!!"

"Watch it!!" Madeen dragged the sea serpent back.

Another wall section came down, locking the two out as well. Their corridor abruptly tilted, sending Leviathan and Madeen sliding down a winding passageway.

Bahamut and Phoenix were ramming against their side when the floor beneath them suddenly changed into a moving platform. The 'vehicle' charged off with such speed that the two had to drop down and grab on for dear life. In a matter of seconds, the duo were brought down the long tunnel, away from the others, and dumped into a large room.

"Rargh!!" Bahamut hit the ground face first, and was surprised to find it was grass. "Phoenix?!"

"Ugh...I'm Ok." She muttered. "Huh?! This is..."

"Yeah, I know." Bahamut looked around. "This is like....where my sister and I used to live."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The scene around them was that of a green field, with mountains visible beyond. Trees were growing around a lake nearby, with dozens of shrubs about and birds chirping in the distance. Even the 'sun' was visible, high above in the sky.

"How can all this...be in space?" Phoenix gasped.

"It must be some sort of illusion." Bahamut shook his head.

"But..." Phoenix raised a claw and a white dove landed on it, chirping softly.

Suddenly, a series of swift organ strokes sounded (the Vegnagun's piano theme from FFX-2). The song was similar to a requiem and kept on playing as Bahamut and Phoenix glanced about in confusion.

The scene of greenery slowly begun to fade, revealing the metallic interior of the space station, Eden. It also revealed the gigantic pipe organ, and the player seated there.

Tiamat finished the melody and swung around to face the pair.

"Brings back memories, doesn't it brother?" She hissed. There was great scorn in her voice at the mention of the word 'brother'.

"Indeed." Bahamut replied, not knowing what else to say.

"Memories....those are all I've had to live with. Mere illusions like these." Tiamat shook her head. "Even then, I don't really exist. It's only in here, because of the combination of powers within this place, that I can actually touch something."

"Tiamat....I'm sorry. That's all I can say." Bahamut spoke. "Whether you believe me or not. You just never knew how I really felt when I saw you....you know."

Tiamat gave her brother a cold stare before continuing.

"Eden is programmed to fire its Eternal Breath down on the world below. Do you know what that will cause? What power? What destruction? It will tear through even the borders of the adjacent worlds."

<Is....that possible?> Glenn wondered.

<She sounds really serious about it.> Ashley added in.

"Then, I suppose it's no point talking any more." Bahamut drew the Ultima weapon. "The sister I knew cared about the world around her. She wouldn't want to just destroy it all like this."

<Not one for the hero-speech, are you?> Glenn remarked.

"It's too late for that. Too late for anything." Tiamat raised a claw and a golden sword materialized in it. "Come, taste Excalibur's fury!"

"You ready?" Phoenix brought out her Caladbolg and stood beside Bahamut.

"Yeah..." Bahamut nodded. "Let's end this!"