Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut & the Guardian Forces ❯ Trail ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy and all related trademarks belong to Squaresoft. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trail

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Bahamut, can we really trust her?"

<No. >

"Then, why did you agree to help her?"

<Because I have to find out. > The dragon growled, <There's too much that's changed, too much I don't know about. Damned, I feel like I don't know anything anymore. >

Glenn quickly crossed the street and resumed his brisk walk along the pavement. He was secretly glad there was hardly anyone around. He certainly did look rather odd seemingly talking to himself like that.

<I feel that she's not lying about the war, but as to which side she's on… > He let the sentence trail off.

"By the way, you do know that I'm meeting up with the rest on Sunday, right? They could…"

<No, I don't want them to know. > Bahamut replied sharply. <I need to do this on my own. >

"I understand." Glenn said. "I'll help you, of course, but if I just call off the meeting and disappear like that, Ashley's definitely gonna get suspicious."

<Simple. You come up with a diversion. >

"Oh thanks, give me the hard part!" Glenn moaned, "But I'll come up with something."

<I'm counting on you. Oh, and Glenn? >

"Yea?"

<If you dare tell anyone about the other 'incident' that happened tonight, I'll… >

"I know, I know. You'll what? Bite my head off? Rip my guts out through my nose and tie my shoelaces with them? Yeah, yeah…old story, heard those ones before."

<WHY did I get stuck with the defective human?! > Bahamut moaned.

"Coming to think of it," Glenn replied, "the feeling is mutual. What was I thinking when I let you into my head?!"

<You were thinking it was cool to have a real, life dragon inhabit your body. >

"Aw shut up."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Glenn! You're actually on time!" gasped Ashley.

"Whew, can't be late all the time, right?" Glenn panted as he jogged up to his friend.

<Hey Phoenix, how you doing Chocobo legs?>

<Jerk!>

SLAP!

A five-fingered red mark instantly appeared on Glenn's face.

"Ooooowwww!!!"

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Ashley gasped, bringing her hands up to her face.

<Sorry guys. > Came Phoenix's voice. <That was an instinctive reaction. >

"But did you have to hit me?! Ow!" Glenn moaned, rubbing his sore cheek. Dumb dragon! I'm gonna get you for this!

<Just making sure you were alert.> Bahamut was silently laughing to himself.

<Humph!> Phoenix huffed.

"By the way, there's the bus!" Glenn yelled, pointing. "Come on!"

<Put the jokes aside and remember the plan. > Bahamut said sternly, his tone having suddenly changed. Glenn could tell that Bahamut had sent him a private message.

Glenn deliberately let Ashley run ahead of him and board the bus first. He then stood beside the bus and pretended to be searching through his pockets.

"What's wrong?" Ashley called from inside the bus.

"Oh man!" Glenn whacked his own head, "I left my wallet back at home! Why don't you go on ahead and I'll catch up with you guys later?"

"Not like I have much of a choice anyway." Ashley called. The bus had already stared moving. "See you later!"

Glenn waited until the bus was out of sight, and then ran into a deserted alley nearby.

"So, how was that for distracting her?" he asked, grinning.

<Sufficient. Now, you morph and I'll do the rest. >

"OK, just be sure to take my backpack along."

Glenn started the morph and soon, Bahamut stood in his place. The dragon made another check of the area. It was daylight and he needed to be a little more cautious. Satisfied that they were alone, he grabbed the backpack and effortlessly scaled the building.

Once on the rooftop, Bahamut caught an updraft and rose high into the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn and Ashley's hometown was at the edge of a huge metropolis. On one side, it was miles and miles of city streets and buildings everywhere. To the other, vast regions of government-protected forests and lush green plains.

That division never failed to amuse Bahamut, especially looking at it from above. It was like separating the silver and green regions on a map. However, he knew that it certainly wasn't appropriate time for sightseeing.

Choosing a forested area, Bahamut set down as quietly as he could. That still stirred up several members of the nearby wildlife and rustled quite a few leaves. It had been a hot, tiring flight and Bahamut took a while to meditate and relax.

"Something…is not quite right." He muttered.

Although he had his eyes closed, Bahamut still heard the whizzing of some object spinning through the air. Instinctively, he sprang up from his kneeling position and jumped away.

TWHACK!

The throwing axe impaled itself in the trunk of the tree that Bahamut had been right in front of. The axe thrower wasn't far behind, leaping from the bushes and grabbing the dragon from behind in a chokehold.

"Still as sharp as ever old friend." Came a rough voice.

Bahamut didn't need to see him to know whom the voice belonged to. He could practically smell his foul breath from behind.

"Ah Sacred." He gasped while they struggled. "Your big brother still changing the diapers for you?"

"Grrrr! That's only gonna make me hit you harder, dragon!"

"That's if you can hit me at all!"

Bahamut drove both his elbows into his opponent's stomach and slipped out of the hold.

"Ggrrraaagghhh!" The armor-wearing minotaur roared. Like the minotaur of the legends, he reassembled a bull with huge horns standing on its rear legs. He reached behind him and took hold on a halberd strapped to his back.

"Come on!" Bahamut taunted, assuming a fighting stance, "I beat you with my bare hands!"

<Hey B, you have claws! > Glenn couldn't help but pipe out a smart remark. The human had been so quiet that the dragon had almost forgotten his consciousness was there, within his body.

Sacred charged, swinging the huge weapon. Bahamut jumped, ducked and rolled to avoid the multiple swings. The dragon leapt up, used a tree as a springboard to propel his body over his opponent and at the same time tripped him up with his tail.

"Looks like you could use some target practice!" Bahamut called as Sacred hit the floor.

"GGrrrrrrrrr! Whirlwind attack!" Sacred tightened his grip on the weapon and begun to spin like a tornado.

Bahamut backed away several feet. This was a new move.

Sacred was stirring up a large cloud of dust as well, making it harder to see. Bahamut focused as best as he could. While Sacred wasn't the brightest of the lot, he certainly had considerable strength. And getting hit by that huge halberd wouldn't be pleasant at all.

Got to time this just right…

The tornado was rapidly approaching and Bahamut held his ground until the very last instant, then rolled away and lashed out at what he predicted to be his enemy's back. His timing was dead on and his sudden counter knocked Sacred out of his tornado.

"Wwwwargh!" Sacred stumbled and got his weapon stuck in a nearby tree.

The grunt turned around just in time to see Bahamut's foot connecting with his face. The huge creature stumbled and fell against the tree, his weight both felling the tree and snapping his own weapon in two.

"Try remembering the old tricks before trying new ones!" Bahamut laughed.

"Why you…!!! Wait till big brother hears about this!" Sacred whined, "He'll be here next time, then you'll be sorry!!!!!"

With that, the bull-like creature ran off, disappearing into the forest.

"Arrogant as ever I see." Said another voice. Only this one was a little more threatening.

Bahamut fired his Mega Flare in the direction of the voice, resulting in an explosion that sent leaves and pieces of wood flying.

"And stupid as ever too." The same feminine voice came from another direction.

"Hmmm…an illusion?!"

A beautiful young woman stepped into view. She was dressed in extremely revealing clothing and had a pair of feathery white wings on her back. However, Bahamut knew that this was no ordinary human being.

"Siren." he muttered, "I should've expected to find you pulling the Brothers' leash."

"Hah, touchy as ever." She laughed, brushing her waist-length blond hair and giving him a sedative smile.

"Why come after me?" He asked. If she wanted to play games, then maybe he could squeeze some information out of her.

"You've been asleep for a long time. So maybe I should tell you that there's a little civil war going on back home right now. And basically, you're the wild card in the game."

"So it's more than just our personal history?"

"We're simply fighting for a future that benefits both our worlds, only thing is that some of us don't appreciate the idea."

"And I'm one of them, right?"

"Considering you decided to play big hero to this realm back then, yes."

"So be then. No hard feelings…for this!" Bahamut lunged and used a claw swipe.

Siren, caught off guard, barely managed to evade it with a large scratch on the side of her face. Infuriated, she opened her mouth and let out a high-pitched, ear-piercing shriek.

Bahamut stumbled back, covering his head with his claws to block out the horrible sounds.

"Diamond Dust!"

A spear of ice knocked Siren out of her attack and sent her crashing to the ground.

"Pity, I'm hardly impressed." Shiva said coldly, readying another ice javelin.

"Took you long enough." Bahamut muttered, getting up and holding his claws together to charge a spell.

"So…Shiva and Bahamut…together. How interesting." Siren chuckled, "Well, until we fight again…"

As she spoke, Siren begun to fade from view until she was completely gone.

Alone at last, the pair lowered their weapons.

"You came…" Shiva said. "Thank you."

Carbuncle appeared behind her and scrambled up onto her shoulder. The dragon growled, still not too happy with the little pest.

"You know I would." He finally said. "Now what…"

A loud explosion abruptly broke the silence of the forest. The ground shook for several moments in which the pair nearly lost their balance.

"What the?!"

"No," Shiva muttered. "They may already be opening the gate between the worlds!"

"This was what you told me, right? About our enemies invading this realm?"

"Yes, it is. But we may still have time to prevent it from happening!" Shiva pointed upwards to a mountain behind them.

Bahamut could see smoke pouring out from a large hole in its side. A hole that didn't look naturally formed at all. He didn't need to be told what to do next.

"Let's go."

Shiva nodded.

Reaching out his hands, he picked her up, spread his wings and took off.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like a volcano, was the first thought that came to mind. And upon nearing their destination, it certainly felt as hot as one.

The cavern gave off a fiery glow, visible even from the outside. Seeming like an entrance to hell, it gave off a forbidding sense of entry.

Bahamut landed on a ledge and look down into a pool of boiling magma.

"Look, there." Shiva pointed.

The dragon had to squint amidst the steaming, bubbling pools, but eventually got what she was pointing to. Seemingly hovering just a few feet above the lava pool lay a pair of huge, black double doors.

"That's the gate?" Bahamut wondered, "It seems to be unguarded…"

No sooner had the words left his jaws did a stream of lava suddenly rise out of the center of the pool. Both warriors jumped back as the lava stream formed into a miniature tornado.

A figure broke out of the lava stream, a fiery beast with horns. One that both instantly recognized.

"Ifrit!" Shiva called, "Ifrit, it's me!"

The fire elemental only gave off a menacing howl.

"I don't think he hears you." Bahamut warned, "He looks like he's possessed by something."

Ifrit launched a fireball, which detonated between the two, throwing both to the ground.

"We have to take him!" Bahamut yelled.

"I know." Shiva said softly, "Just try not to hurt him…"

<Well, that's easier said that done. > Glenn's voice said.

Bahamut raised his head to fire his Mega Flare, but ended up getting a fireball in the lower jaw. Though stunned, he managed to recover in time to block the next wave of fireballs with his arms.

"Damn, can't charge my attack in time!" he muttered, frustrated.

"Argh!" On the other side, Shiva had formed an ice wall to defend herself, but the flames still melted the ice relatively quickly.

<Can't you cast something? > Glenn asked.

"Gargh! No, my spells need time to charge." Bahamut said, "And there's barely enough room to maneuver in here."

The flames were already beginning to pierce his tough hide. Bahamut knew he couldn't take much more.

<Hey dragon breath! > Glenn called, <Just go straight in! >

"Glenn, are you insane?!"

<No seriously. If you charge him now, chances are you'll do more damage to him than his does to you. Come on partner, trust me on this one! >

He just might be right…

Bahamut lowered his body and charged, head on. Ifrit noticed his maneuver and directed all his firepower towards him. The dragon took a couple of hits while clearing the distance between himself and his foe.

Before the fire beast could cast anything else, Bahamut had his claws around his neck. Ifrit, however, wasn't ready to give up and a furious struggle ensued.

Bahamut found himself shoved onto his back. He heaved up and tossed Ifrit off. Bahamut then tackled his foe before he was fully on his feet. That got him a punch in the face and he retaliated with equal force.

Suddenly, Ifrit jumped back in shock, with Carbuncle having latched his teeth into his ankle.

"Bahamut, catch!" Shiva shouted from behind him.

In a split second, the dragon spun around, caught the ice javelin Shiva tossed him, and then swung it…connecting directly with Ifrit's lower jaw. Ifrit groaned then fell and lay still.

Bahamut dropped to his knees, completely exhausted. Shiva sprinted past him and looked over the edge.

"Not good!" she reported, "The gate is opening! But I have an idea."

Just as well too…Bahamut thought, still very dazed.

"And Bahamut…I'm sorry."

The dragon looked up just in time to see a slab of ice hit him in the face.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiva knelt down beside the dragon's unconscious form. There was so much she wanted to say, so much she wanted to tell him. To warn him…to apologize…to thank him.

But there was simply no time. He would've wanted to stop her if he knew. Shiva knew she had to follow her own path. But there was at least something she could do.

"Glenn!" She called, taking Bahamut's claw in her hand. "Glenn, I know you can still hear me in there. Listen, I'm sorry…but the only way I can seal this gate is from the other side. I have to go back, to our world."

A cold tear trickled down her face.

"Bahamut would try to stop me…but I have to do this. But tell him to seek out the others still hidden in this realm. Only once you've gathered up our allies, then and save both our worlds! He's the only one who can do it now."

Shiva bent closer to Bahamut's ear and whispered something to him.

She lifted Ifrit's unconscious form onto her shoulder and positioned herself above the gate. Even as she did, she continued to talk.

"Our own people are at war and you'll never know who you can trust! But follow your instincts…and your heart, my friends. And you will come out victorious. Farewell…"

Carbuncle scampered up onto her other shoulder.

"Bye-bye!" the little Eidolon waved, with a sad tone in his voice.

Bahamut pulled himself up just as Shiva jumped.

"Shiva?! Shiva!!!!!"

The entire pit surged with blinding blue energy. Bahamut closed his eyes and roared out in pain.

"Gotcha!" the long tail of Leviathan reached in and wrapped itself around the wounded dragon. "Come on buddy, I've got you!"

The water serpent dragged Bahamut out just as a huge explosion rocked the cavern and sent the entire mountain down on top of it, sealing it off forever.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell had you been thinking?!" Phoenix yelled, "Trying to write your own death certificates?!"

"I know, I said I was sorry, all right?" Bahamut muttered.

Their party of four had gathered beside a nearby stream, where Unicorn was tending to his wounds.

As it turned out, Ashley had gotten suspicious and had jumped off the bus at the next stop. Not finding Glenn at his house or anywhere around town for that matter, she'd contacted the rest of the group. They'd spend the day tracking him, which hadn't been easy until Leviathan had spotted the explosion on the mountainside.

Glenn and Bahamut had accounted for their actions and give their party a detailed description of the day's events. (Mostly form Glenn, though.) And Phoenix, in particular, wasn't too happy about it.

<Phoenix, try to calm down. > Ashley urged.

<She's right, > said Aldrea, Unicorn's partner, <It's already done. There's no point in compounding the mistake. >

"Hey, everyone needs their own space once in a while." Everyone looked up at Leviathan while he spoke. It would be foolish to ignore advice from the oldest member of their group. "But these are troubled times. Especially now, we've got to hold together. We're caught between a civil war here and the only ones we can depend on would be each other."

"Shiva hinted that there may be others, sealed off like we had been." Bahamut nodded, "Very vague, but at least it gives us something to do."

"Only now a bunch of our own people have decided that we're the enemy." Phoenix reminded them, "Problem is, they know us, but not the reverse. Then there's the warlock Dynaock. I wouldn't be surprised if our enemies are all one big family."

"Maybe we should let them come to us," Unicorn suggested, "probably better than us charging straight into them."

"We'll keep that in mind." Bahamut agreed, "For now, we just keep up with what we've been doing so far…wait and watch. Agreed?"

The others nodded.

"It's us against the world now," the dragon grinned, holding out a claw, "and I say: bring em' on!"

Unicorn placed a hoof on top of his claw. Leviathan added in the tip of his tail. Phoenix, however, hesitated.

She gave the group a stern stare before finally stretching out her wing.

"Just remember something lizard-lips, you screw up again and I get your leadership mantle!"

"You're welcomed to try and take it…anytime."

Inwardly, Glenn, Ashley, Brad and Aldrea all smiled. Things were, at least, headed for the better.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere deep in the city, a dark-haired man sat at his desk at the top of a building. With his back towards the open window, his body was silhouetted by the orange glow of the setting sun. The gleam of his sunglasses added to the darkness of his tone. Even the black and gray colors of his business suit matched the mood in his office.

"So, have the clean up crews done their job yet?"

His statement was addressed to the young Japanese woman standing patiently in front of his desk.

"Yes sir."

"And the cover story?"

"All done sir. The public will know nothing of this."

"Very well then. You are dismissed, Miss Yankuria."

"Sir!" She acknowledged and bowed before leaving.

Even before the door slammed shut, the man had already turned to face the window.

"So much to do, yet so little time."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yankuria walked past the security guard and casually ran her identification card through the card reader.

"Working late, Alison?" the guard smiled.

"You have no idea." She replied grumpily, leaving without giving him a chance to say anything else.

She got to the parking lot and was reaching for the car door when a sudden movement startled her.

"Well, you handled your bad day pretty well." A deep voice came form behind.

"Dyanock, don't do that!" she growled angrily, spinning around.

The black cloaked figure was easily passable as a human male, except for the cloud of mist that seemed to follow him everywhere he appeared. He wore a helmet decorated with a pair of horns and a single slit for his eyes.

"Ah, sincere apologies my dear."

"Do dispense with the pleasantries, it's annoying the hell out of me."

"Very well then. How was the situation, Siren?"

<Shiva wouldn't tell him much, which was an upside for us. > Siren's voice replied, <She did manage to seal up the gate though. Fortunately, our contacts on the other side will be taking care of that. >

"And the old fool Carter up there," Alison jerked a thumb, "still doesn't have a clue."

<However, we're gonna need to get better help if we're going to accomplish anything. >

"All in good time ladies." the warlock replied, "just do your job for now."

<And what about you? >

"I'll be doing mine. That is, to stay hidden." In another swirl of mist, the cloaked form faded and vanished into thin air.

Alison glanced in the car's mirror to see Siren's image materializing.

"Interesting boss you have there." She commented.

<You...don't know the half of that. > Siren laughed.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GGGrrrrraaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!"

"Ifrit!" Shiva ran over to her fallen companion's side.

A shadowy, demon-like shaped hovered beside them.

"So, ready to give up yet?" Diablos sneered.

"Not a chance!" Ifrit growled, "You won't control me like you did before!"

"I'll make sure to correct that...by killing you this time!"

Seeing her chance, Shiva rolled Carbuncle behind one of the desert's sand dunes, out of the demon's sight range.

"Go Carbuncle, hurry!" she whispered urgently.

The small GF wanted to protest, but even he knew what he had to do. With a tearful look in his eyes, he took off, scurrying away and disappearing into the desert sands.

"Shiva!" Ifrit yelled, "Let's take him!"

"Agreed!" She replied.

"Hmmm...pathetic." Diablos frowned.

"Hell fire!" the fiery beast charged up balls of fire from his hands.

"Diamond Dust!" Shiva did the same with her ice javelins.

"Dark Messenger!" Dark energy swirled around Diablos as he prepared for his most devastating attack.

Screams ran out throughout much of the desert area.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whew, what a day!" Glenn collapsed onto his bed, exhausted. He lay back and waited in anticipation for Bahamut berate him about not having done the hard work.

Unfortunately, he was sorely disappointed.

"Hey scale belly, that's your cue!" he said aloud.

Still nothing.

"Hello?" Glenn got up and looked into his table mirror, only to see the dragon's image with his head down, snoring loudly. (And the Anime bubble effects from the mouth.)

"Then I suppose you don't want to hear the little secret Shiva wanted me to tell you..."

<What?! > Bahamut snapped up, instantly wide awake.

"But firstly, I need you to answer some questions first. How was it that I could still hear her even though you were unconscious?"

<It's a theory, but because we're essentially still two separate life forms, our conscious minds function separately. >

"But we do share the same physical body."

<Indeed, and that's why some of my exhaustion passes on to you. >

"So, back then when you were out cold, I could've moved your body, right?"

<Don't get any funny ideas Glenn! >

"I'll take that as a yes. Oh and," Glenn paused. "What happens if...say you get killed or something?"

<Oh, that's a special case. > The dragon replied. <In the unlikely event that that'll happen, it'll just be me, period. >

"Hmmm...thought so." Glenn smiled.

<Hey, quit laughing. Not like anything'll take me down anytime soon. Now, Time for your bit. >

Glenn suddenly stopped laughing.

"Shiva wanted me to tell you that she really did love you back then. Despite all the differences you two had."

<Shiva... >

"Hey, I'm sorry, you know?"

<Glenn, thanks. But it's not your fault. > He hesitated, <Do me a favor, and look up at the moon. >

"Huh?"

<I see through your eyes, remember? >

Glenn complied, silently noticing the bright, full moon.

<I used to tell her that I'd emerge from behind the moon to protect her from danger. Now... >

"You still can! She wanted you to do save both worlds, and you're gonna do that, you hear? We all are!"

<Glenn, that's a different side of you. >

"They say there are two sides to every coin, my friend." He gleamed. "Deal with it."

<Ha...speak for yourself. >