Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut & the Guardian Forces ❯ True Colors ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy and all related trademarks belong to Squaresoft. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

True Colors

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"My, my. What a dilemma you have there." Gerald Carter laughed.

"SHUT UP!" Bahamut roared, backing away. The only thing he was concerned for at that moment was Glenn's safety.

"Save yourself, or save the human you've bonded with."

"How do you know about that?!" Bahamut demanded.

"That is of no importance. The thing you want to know is I can help your human friend. With this." Gerald held up a glowing green crystal.

"Palisadlite ..." Bahamut muttered. It was a magical mineral found only in their world. How this human had obtained it was entirely beyond him, but he did know that this substance could server the bond between Glenn and himself. It too, was probably responsible for responsible for the magic dampers from earlier on.

"In exchange for giving yourself up, I can not only save your friend with this, but those others as well. Your human friends will be released, you have my word on this."

<Don't ... > Glenn's voice pleaded. <Don't ... do this ... for me ... >

Bahamut was swearing and cursing to all the gods he knew about, and some he didn't. Was he truly willing to sacrifice his GF companions for the lives of Glenn and the others? And abandon himself to the mercy of this demented human? And yet, it pained him to know that there was only one decision he could make.

"All right." He growled. "I will ... agree to your terms."

"There, not so hard now, wasn't it?"

Bahamut was immediately bound and chained. There was simply no word that could describe his humiliation at that moment.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Leviathan stared, depressed as Bahamut was roughly tossed into the cylinder next to him.

"I suppose they told you their deal too, didn't they?" The sea serpent sighed.

"There was no other choice." Bahamut muttered. "We brought Glenn and the rest into this. We have to take responsibility for them."

"That's what I though you'd say." Phoenix commented.

"You can hear me?" Bahamut asked.

"These tanks seem to be internally linked." Unicorn explained. "We can talk to each other, but not outside."

"Do you know what they've planned?"

"Basically, they want our spirits." She said grimly. "They somehow got me first and I heard some of the things. They want to separate our spirits from our physical bodies and use them to power that gate you see over there. It's going to open a gateway to the GF World."

"Damn. Then they're going to charge in?"

"Lord knows what's going to happen." Phoenix whispered. "But we've already dammed ourselves. It's too late to turn back now."

"They couldn't have gotten all this data by themselves."

"Cusauha uh dra udran ceta." Valefor said softly.

"Dra udran ceta?!" Bahamut gasped. "Impossible ..."

Everyone looked like they were going to start spilling out questions, but the boastful Gerald approached them.

"Well, it's time." He grinned, placing Green Palisadlite crystals into slots in front of each tank. "You'll just need to relax and release yourselves from your bodies. But I'm sure you already know that. However, I'm sure it will hurt quite a bit too."

Bahamut grimaced, looking down. A smaller version of their current cells had been attached to the base of their cylinders, presumably to capture their spirits. It wasn't looking good for him. Glenn however ...

"You still there Glenn?"

<Yeah. But you ... >

"Don't worry about me. I'm going to give you everything I've got. Absolutely everything. I'm sure you'll know what to do when the time comes."

He made sure he said it loudly enough for the other GFs to hear. If they happened to get his message, it would be a great advantage.

<Bahamut, no ... >

There was no more time. He saw Gerald talking to one of his technicians. That man's hand was on a switch Bahamut was sure would trigger the process.

"Remember Glenn ..."

The next instant, his mind erupted in a world of pain. He could hear the screams of the others; see the flashes of both light and magical energy. But he had to keep in focus, for all their sakes.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"Glenn? Glenn?!"

He groaned, opening his eyes to find himself supported in Ashley's and Brad's arms.

"I'm ... huh? Where are we?!" He jumped up glancing around.

They were standing in a back alley beside a dumpster. Aldrea was helping another girl to her feet. Glenn recognized her as Cecil, the girl he'd seen before the ...

"Bahamut?! Where are they?!"

"You remember what happened?" Ashley asked him.

"The GFs ... they gave themselves up to some lunatic to save us." Glenn bit his lip. "Damn you Bahamut!"

"You all were unconscious then, but I was partially awake." Brad explained. "They captured their spirits in some smaller canisters and we were left in the tanks. Then, we dragged us away and threw us out."

"It's the building three blocks away from here." Aldrea said.

"That X electronics company." Cecil added in. "I never knew they were such creeps."

"But what now?" Ashley asked. "They've got the GFs and we stand no chance of getting in."

"It won't surprise me if they start shooting the moment they see us anywhere near too." Aldrea sighed.

"Dammit! Why ask me?! I don't know?!" Glenn yelled, slamming his fists against a wall. "They're in that mess because of us! Bahamut, he ... damn you Bahamut! What the F*** were you thinking?!"

In rage, he kicked a trashcan, sending stray cats screeching and running away.

"Glenn ... "Brad put a hand on his shoulder, but Glenn knocked it away.

"Goddammit! Why the hell did you have to be so F***ing stupid?!" He fumed, punching the wall. "So, what are you going to do now Mr. high and mighty ego?! Damn you Bahamut!! DAMN YOU!!!!"

Everyone jumped back a step as Glenn's fist actually made a large hole in the brick wall. What startled them even more was when Glenn roared in fury and a pair of huge, scaly wings erupted from his back.

"Glenn?!" Ashley staggered.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

The pain was tremendous, but Bahamut was already beyond feeling it. He could only watch helplessly as the canisters containing his spirit and that of his companions were attached to the circular gateway. Even now it was rapidly draining their strength.

View from being imprisoned within the small, transparent cylinders, wasn't very good, but he could make out the images of his friend's faces inside the other cylinders. Presumably, that was how he currently looked as well. It was cutting off any means of communication between the group.

Even through the instinct to struggle was there, Bahamut's mind told him it was merely a waste of what little strength he had left.

From his position of being attached to the gate, he could see a large group of armed soldiers gathered in front of it, awaiting the blue energy to stabilize and for their order to charge through. He guessed that it was a scouting group, meant to prepare the area for backup units to arrive.

He wondered how the humans intended to take on GFs certainly much more powerful them themselves, but he realized that technology could easily match up to the destructive standards of magic. If they were willing to accept some losses, they actually might have a chance.

Come on Glenn, where are you?! Didn't you get the message?

If Glenn hadn't, then he was absolutely screwed.

His energy was nearly gone and the gate had now opened. He couldn't move to see through it, however the glare of a bright, yellow light still reached him. The glowing energy seemed to be filling up the formerly empty space within the circular gateway.

"There, it's open." Gerald laughed. "Now we ..."

BOOM!

A set of machinery exploded nearby, sending some technicians and soldiers flying, screaming and bleeding.

"What the?! Who?!"

"Sorry, but that's as far as I let you go." A slim Japanese woman with dark hair stood at the edge of the room, brandishing an MP5. She'd apparently shot a more flammable piece of equipment.

"What?! Alison?! How dare you!"

"Silence you pathetic old man." She laughed. "Your charade is over now. I have to thank you for so nicely opening this gate for me. Now, I'll be able to access the GF World so much more easily."

"Shoot her!" Gerald ordered.

Several guards fired. Alison calmly lifted her hand and the bullets stopped in mid-air, as if they had hit an invisible barrier.

"Humph. Is this all you've got? To think I used to be just like you." She waved her hand and the bullets flew back, striking and killing even more soldiers in the room.

"What the hell?!" Gerald swore.

Several technicians panicked and ran for the door, but Cerberus burst in and grabbed them in his three mouths, crunching down and sending blood splattering everywhere.

The two walls caved inwards, crushing those not lucky enough to get out of the way. In them stood Phantom, the Brothers, Sacred & Minotaur, and the three Magus Sisters.

"Very well done." A deep, reverberating voice laughed.

Bahamut instantly realized whom it belonged to.

The room darkened and filled with fog as Dynaock materialized. Humanoid, only extremely tall and wearing a helmet over his head. The rest of his body was hidden beneath his huge black cloak. The helmet was plain, with only a single slit for the eyes and a pair of horns on the back.

"Hahahahahahaha ..." Alison laughed. "Poor fool, you think all your research and results were by chance and technology? You think you found everything out by yourself? Didn't you even suspect it was too easy? Because, I let YOU find it."

Alison raised her hand and changed into Siren.

"My bonded partner has said it well." The female GF laughed. "You were foolish indeed. You even have the only ones wiling to have saved you, Bahamut and his group held captive, immobilized and helpless."

Using your enemies against each other. Bahamut realized.

"I WILL NOT ACCEPT DEFEAT!" Gerald roared. "Fire the Zeta Lasers!"

"We're trying sir, but something's wrong!" A soldier replied. "They're not responding."

"That's because they were never designed to work." Siren grinned.

"You have greatly underestimated your opposition." Dynaock spoke, drawing a huge, two-handed sword. "Now, you will pay the price. Master of all swords, cut energy! Night Sword!"

A black, shimmering blade of magic formed on his sword and flew off. The soldiers nearby fled as it pierced Gerald straight through the heart. His subordinates gasped as their leader let off a long scream.

"I haven't been defeated ... only in the next life ... I will have ... everything ... Muahahahahahahah ..." The demented man laughed even as he died.

At least he got what he deserved. However, Bahamut also knew what was coming next.

"Don't worry, we'll attend to you shortly." Siren winked at him. "After we're done repaying our gracious hosts."

"Kill all the humans!" Dynaock ordered. "Let none survive!"

That was when all hell broke loose. There was firing, screaming and running everywhere. Of course, the human soldiers stood no chance.

Bahamut simply couldn't care less. What he was more concerned about was, considering his current predicament, and dying in this utter humiliating manner.

Come on ...

Practically all the human soldiers were dead or close to it. Bahamut knew it wouldn't be long before they'd be joining them in hell.

One moment, Siren was simply standing beside the only unbroken wall. The next, she was thrown to the ground and covered by pieces of it.

"What t ..." She never got to finish that sentence, staring mouth-opened at the figure that came through it.

In fact, all her comrades and Dynaock stopped to stare was well.

"Impossible ..." Siren gasped.

"Believe it all right." The figure said, folding his arms.

Inwardly, Bahamut was grinning.

The shadow stepped into the light, fully revealing himself to the shocked group ... as Bahamut.

"You ... you're there." Phantom staggered pointing towards the canisters attached to the gate. "You can't be in two places at once!"

"It must be some trick." Siren whispered.

"Wanna see how REAL I am, b****?!" The Bahamut in the doorway roared, leaping forward.

He drove a flying kick into her chest, sending her flying across the room.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Phoenix was watching the scene with delight as well. Seemed like Bahamut's plan had worked out after all. Now, if only the others would ...

She then saw 'herself', together with 'Leviathan', 'Unicorn' and 'Valefor' sneaking in amongst the rubble. 'Bahamut' was certainly doing a good job of distracting their opponents, throwing a bunch of Flare spells and Mega Flares around.

Phoenix started slightly as her canister wall pulled off the gate.

<Hey watch it Ashley! > She cried, hoping her partner could hear her.

"Sorry Phoenix. I'm not exactly used to using your body without you inside it."

"That goes for all of us." Brad, in Leviathan's body laughed.

<Leaving our physical bodies with you guys was a large gamble, > Leviathan noted. <but it worked out. >

"But what now? Can we rejoin?" Aldrea, in Unicorn's body, asked.

<Yes, trust me. This bonding problem is a once-a-lifetime thing. > Unicorn spoke. <Further more, the Palisadlite ... >

"No time for that." Cecil interrupted, grabbing into Valefor's canister with her talons. "Let's do this!"

"SUMMONS UNLEASHED!"

With the yell, each of the 'humans' brought the canister containing the GF's spirit close to their bodies with what appendages they had and cracked them. Various lights flashed as the GF's spirits reunited with their partners, and their physical bodies.

"Take that!"

"Huh?"

The Brothers looked up in time to be blown away by Phoenix's flames.

"She shoots ..." Phoenix began.

<She scores. > Ashley finished.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"Tsunami!"

"Energy Ray!"

The attacks of Leviathan and Valefor sent Cerberus and Phantom fleeing for cover.

"Haha! It's good to have my body back!" Leviathan laughed.

Valefor smiled in approval.

<Yeah, it's nice to have you doing the fighting again. > Brad agreed. <Cecil, how you handling it? >

<It's awesome. > The new member replied. <I could get used to this. >

Unicorn was about to join the fray as well when she remembered one last matter.

"Wow, Glenn sure plays you very well, doesn't he?" She grinned, walking up to the gate.

<Yeah, if we didn't know better, we'd swear that was you over there. > Aldrea added in.

<Whatever all right! > Bahamut roared angrily. <Glenn's going to be in big trouble if he messes up my body in any way. Now, get me off this f***ing gate! I want to be out of this table ornament and back in my own body ASAP! >

"You should tell it to Glenn." Unicorn said as she grasped the canister in her mouth and pulled it off.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Glenn, meanwhile, seemed to be holding his own, blasting away at the Magus Sisters. Although they were dodging his attacks, they were sending pieces of junk and debris flying everywhere.

"Like, OW!" Sandy cried, stumbling. "OH! I, like, broke a nail!"

"We, like, ain't getting paid enough to go through this." Cindy muttered.

"Yea, I think we should, like, totally split now!" Mindy agreed.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" Phantom yelled angrily.

"Like, sorry boss, but you can keep that last check!" Cindy waved. "See ya!"

The Magus Sisters promptly flew through the gate, back to the other world, and disappeared. The swirling yellow and blue lights of the gateway started to hiss and crackle. Energy bolts begun flying about unsteadily.

"Damn it! The gate is losing power." Dynaock muttered. "GF Siren, take the Aeon's Soul and go. You know what to do."

"Yes sir." She nodded.

Glenn saw Siren sprinting towards the gateway holding a something that looked like a scroll or parchment.

<Glenn, stop her! > Bahamut's telepathic voice reached him as Unicorn approached.

Glenn was already charging up the Mega Flare when he noticed Dynaock preparing to cast a spell as well. Glenn panicked and fired the beam both prematurely and off target. What it did was hit the floor near Dynaock, breaking his concentration, causing his spell to go haywire and in the wrong direction.

It blew to gate to pieces just as Siren fled through it.

"NO!" The warlock roared furiously as pieces of twisted metal landed at his feet. "Fools! You're destroyed the gate! Do you realize what you've done?!"

"Stopped you from getting through." Glenn growled a reply.

"Catch!" Unicorn tossed him Bahamut's canister.

<Having fun with my body, I see. > The dragon said sarcastically.

"Yeah. Do I really have to give it back? I kind of liked you as a table ornament."

<Shut up f*** up Glenn. This is no time for jokes. >

"Summons unleashed." Glenn placed the canister against his chest and allowed Bahamut's spirit to re-enter the body.

"I comment you on being so resourceful." Dynaock muttered. "But that won't get you far enough to defeat me."

"Perhaps," Bahamut growled. "But this will!"

With a roar, he sent the cylinder flying towards Dynaock.

"Star fire, awake and deliver your judgment!" The warlock shattered it with a fire spell. However, he also shattered a Palisadlite crystal within, sending many small fragments towards himself.

"Gargh!" He moaned as they became embedded in his cloak.

The mineral's anti-magic effect would weaken the warlock slightly.

<Grabbed that while you weren't looking. > Glenn laughed.

"Let's see what it feels like to get a taste of your own medicine." Bahamut nodded.

"Ggargh! You shall not interfere with my moment of triumphant!" Dynaock yelled. "Phantom!"

Unicorn promptly leapt forward and charged at Phantom with her horn, forcing him to retreat. Dynaock took off running.

"Bahamut, go after him!" Unicorn shouted.

"Take care!" The dragon nodded as he flew off after his quarry.

"Cause I've got a little payback to deal to you." She said, giving Phantom a fierce stare.

"Bring it on." The cloaked GF growled.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

In an adjacent room, the Brothers performed their combined attack, Brotherly Love, throwing around huge pieces of the floor at Leviathan, which also had the effect of breaking it and sending the sea serpent falling down three levels.

"Haha! How you'd like that?!" The larger one, Sacred laughed, brandishing his halberd. "I told Bahamut I'd bring my big brother along the next time!"

"Yeah!" Said Minotaur, stepping forward and pointing his mace. "You mess with one, you mess with the other!"

"If this little pip-squeak is your older brother, I hate to imagine what a messed up family you have." Leviathan taunted.

"Grrrrr! Why you!" Minotaur charged and leapt up with his mace.

Leviathan rolled to the side and swatted at the GF with his tail, sending him flying.

"WWaaaaaaa!"

<Valefor, now! > Brad yelled.

Valefor swooped down from the level above, snagged Sacred in her talons and threw him into his brother.

The Brothers moaned as they rolled over each other.

"We start casting our Quake spells!" Minotaur ordered.

"But bro ... "

"Just listen to your big brother!"

"Get ready." Leviathan whispered.

"Assailants in the ground, it's time to rumble! Quake!" The Brothers chanted simultaneously.

Both Leviathan and Valefor flew up. With no other targets, the Quake spell of course shattered the floor and sent the Brothers toppling down even more levels. However, they still sprang to their feet, waving their weapons in anger.

<Jeez, they sure are dumb. > Cecil commented.

"Tuh'd pa cu cina Cecil." Valefor warned.

<What do you mean? >

"Earth Elemental. Dyosn dni Earth ert hisyfih."

<Oh, I get it. They want us to make them hit the earth at ground level. Since they're earth elementals, they'd recover their strength when that happens. >

"Maybe they're not as dumb as they look." Leviathan realized.

<But then we can't blast them from up here, unless there's a way to still keep them off the ground. > Brad agreed.

"Got it." Leviathan would've snapped his fingers if he had any. "Valefor, you happen to know Float? You know, the one they all call useless?"

Valefor nodded.

"Mad'c ku!"

"Hey! Come down here and fight you flying cowards!" Minotaur taunted.

"Oh, we will. Tsunami!" Leviathan roared. His strong water blast shoved the Brothers through the last level, just as Valefor administered her spell.

"Myht uv sanlo, muucah dekrd vecdc! Float!"

"What the?!" Sacred muttered. "Why aren't we touching the ground?!"

"Dammit! It's a Float spell!" Minotaur realized. "D'oh! Run for it!"

"Go! Go! GO!" Leviathan roared, swooping down with Valefor by his side.

Their targets were hovering in mid air. The Brothers were making an attempt to run, but trying to walk in mid-air was certainly slower than being on the ground.

"Tidal Wave!"

"Energy Blast!"

The Minotaur Brothers let off a long scream as the explosion sent them flying off into the distance, disappearing with a 'twinkle' in the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"Get back here!" Phoenix screeched.

BOOM! Cerberus dodged another of her attacks.

"Counter Rockets!" He growled, firing off his three energy beams from each mouth.

Phoenix swerved to the side as bits of debris hit her in the face. She'd apparently chased him in one round and they were now coming back to the larger 'gateway room'.

She could hear the furious grunts of Unicorn and Phantom as they fought with horn and a scythe respectively. Cerberus barged in and started firing at random.

"Stop that you idiot! You're gonna hit me as well!" Phantom yelled, having to leap away. "Fader!"

Calling out the name of his attack, he flickered and turned invisible. Unicorn backed off, now unable to see her opponent.

<Not good. > Aldrea told her.

"Phoenix Flame!"

Then phoenix came in, throwing off fireballs at the only hostile target she could see: Cerberus. As the agile demon dog evaded them, one of the blasts broke a water pipe, sending water spraying around. Specifically onto the indivisible Phantom, whose drenched cloak revealed his position.

"Gurgh! Garhg!" He spluttered.

Unicorn saw her chance.

"Great tree of life, inject rotten extract! Zombie!" Unicorn was rushing forward even as she recited the spell.

Her enchanted horn knocked Phantom's scythe away and pierced through his body. Unicorn didn't even wait for him to start screaming.

"Bright light,"

"What?! NNNOOOO!" Phantom had just realized his body was flashing with the dark green flickering of the zombie effect.

"Shine down on bloody impurity! Holy!"

Having the zombie status on him, the Holy spell had a much greater effect. Phantom screamed as he faded away. This time, for good.

"Uh oh, time for us to go." One of Cerberus' heads muttered.

He fired his energy beams around, causing Phoenix and Unicorn to dive for cover, before smashing through the wall (like there weren't already enough holes in it). Phoenix and Unicorn watched as he leapt to the rooftop of the next building and disappeared.

<We've got to go after him! > Ashley yelled.

Another explosion shook the area.

<Bahamut went after Dynaock! > Aldrea told them. <They must be on the rooftop! >

"Forget the dog," Phoenix ordered. "Bahamut needs our help!"

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"RRaarrgghhh!" Bahamut knocked the sword swing away and kicked the warlock in the chest. In the midst of their fighting, they'd ended up in a duel on the rooftop of the building, beneath the starless night sky. "You won't escape this time!"

"That's because there won't be a next time ... FOR YOU!" Dynaock thrust his sword and Bahamut caught it with both claws. "You've always been one step behind, even all those thousands of years ago."

"WHAT?!" The dragon growled as they struggled.

"Where do you think the human got his Palisadlite from? The crystal you so convenient used to 'seal' us all away. Siren simply led him to it and gave it a small, magic reworking. But do you know what was the true importance of that crystal?"

"No ..." Bahamut muttered. "The Aeon's Soul. But it was lost in ancient times ... "

"Lost in the human world. Yes. But hidden right there." Dynaock explained. "It was all planned. This civil war of the GFs was already in progress so long ago. And you, so nobly pursuing me through the worlds, eventually to seal me away. But I had accomplished what I needed to: obtaining the Aeon's Soul. And now, it is back with the dark, the Revolutionist Front, in the GF World. They will unleash the Legendary beings. Then, all light will bow down before the darkness!"

"NNNNNOOOOOO!" Bahamut roared in rage.

In doing so, he also lost his concentration. Dynaock shook him off the sword, kicked him over and stabbed him in the shoulder. Bahamut screamed in anguish as Dynaock lifted him up by the neck.

"Inject evil spirits! Death Cold!"

Bahamut felt a powerful dark force flowing into his body, paralyzing him.

"What ... would you ... get out ... of this?" He struggled to get his sentence out.

"Me? Destruction of course. I'm an ancient being who lives for it. How you pitiful GFs fight amongst yourselves is laughable. I just use all of you to help satisfy my desires." Dynaock laughed. "But enough of this. I will take great delight in watching your life-force flow."

He ripped the sword out of Bahamut's shoulder and aimed it for his throat. The evil warlock's laugh was cut short when Bahamut still managed to reach up and grabbed it, inches away from his neck.

"What?!"

"If that's your plan ... then so be it." Bahamut growled shoving back. "I will ... destroy your cursed soul ... even if it's the ... last thing we do!"

<We because you fight not only him. > Glenn said. <When you picked a fight with him, you challenged not only Bahamut, but me as well. And all the others. >

"For the sake of both worlds ..." Bahamut gritted. " ... my friends ... and myself ... DIE!"

In a tremendous burst of strength, Bahamut shoved the sword forward, piercing it through Dynaock's chest. Ignoring the hideous scream, Bahamut drove it deeper.

"NO! I am immortal! You cannot ... destroy me!" Dynaock screeched.

"Brush off vanity ... and show reality! Ultima!" Using the sword as a channeling device, Bahamut sent the Ultima spell straight into the body of his nemesis.

The resulting explosion was, in a word, spectacular.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"Bahamut? You're awake!" Phoenix cried happily.

"Yeah. Thanks." The dragon grunted as the others helped him to his feet.

"Try to warn us the next time you cast Ultima, all right?" Leviathan said. "We barely got off the building in time."

He pointed with his tail to a large pile of rubble several blocks away, currently surrounded by fire engines and other rescue vehicles.

<Well, at least we fragged that Dynaock's ass! Man, you should've seen it! We won't be hearing from him again. >

"Unfortunately, that means we'll have new enemies." Bahamut sighed.

All heads turned towards him as he recounted for them what he'd heard from his nemesis. There was a small exchange as each one recited their tales.

<He wasn't the real threat at all. > Brad muttered.

"Then, all those years ..." Unicorn began.

Phoenix shook her head.

"This war is on a whole new level now." Bahamut spoke. "Dark forces have hold of the Aeon's Soul."

<What was it? > Aldrea asked.

"An artifact supposedly with the power to resurrect the legendary beings." Unicorn said. "But no one knows for certain what they are. They were myths, even in our world."

"But we can't take that risk." Leviathan spoke. "We don't even know what's going on."

<Erm, excuse me. > Cecil interrupted. <But I think Valefor does. >

"Oh yes, I nearly forgot." Bahamut waved a claw. "Guys, this is Valefor, an old friend of mine. She speaks a language called Al Bhed. But why did you come here Valefor? And how?"

Valefor opened her mouth to speak, but then stopped and seemed to be having a private conversation with Cecil.

<Oh, I see. Well, Valefor wants me to translate for her. OK, there's that war going on between the light and dark right? Apparently this Diablos was in charge of the forces battling Maduin's. Valefor had recently joined up with Maduin's group when they discovered the dark forces were sending troops into the human world for some unknown purposes. They'd apparently discovered some ancient technology to open several smaller gates, similar to the circular one back there. But they could only open for a short time. Rumors were flying about that Bahamut and his group had awakened in the human world and Valefor went off by herself to find him. And I guess you know the rest. >

<Every crazy moment of it. > Ashley sighed.

"So, what's our next course of action then?" Phoenix asked.

"We'll get some rest, then we'll have to hunt down the 'dark' troops in this world." Bahamut decided. "Seems like that's what we've been doing all this ... ugh ... rrrraaggggghhh!"

The dragon buckled over and begun screaming, clutching his chest.

"Bahamut?" Phoenix gasped as the dragon's body begun to glow.

The dark purple and gray scales turned to a dark, shiny blue and golden chest. His muscles thickened, shoulder pads broadened, claws and talons become lined with a gold coloring. His single pair of wings spread out into two, one larger and one smaller. They adopted a feather-like pattern of gold, red and blue. Finally, a golden wheel appeared and attached itself to his back, between the wings.

To put in simple words, the Final Fantasy 8 Bahamut morphing into his Final Fantasy 10 incarnation.

"What in the name of the gods?!" Bahamut stood up and ran his claws over his new body.

"Hmmm ... looks like you must've absorbed some of Dynaock's powers." Leviathan suggested.

"How do you feel?" Unicorn asked.

"Like I could take on an army with one Mega Flare." Bahamut grinned, showing off his new fangs.

<Dude, I like the feathers man. > Glenn commented.

"Feathers?!" Bahamut pulled his wing forward and stared at it. "Dragons DO not have feathers! They're just ... feather-like patterns, that's all!"

<Bahamut, they're feathers. >

"Glenn, shut the f*** up!" He roared, throwing his claws up.

<Oh, watcha gonna do? Strangle me? > Glenn taunted.

"Grrrrrrrrrr! Some day, I'm going to eat you whole!"

"New package, same products." Phoenix sighed.

The rest of the group laughed in relief.